After practice: Hurting John Brown “can’t rush it”

Posted by Darren Urban on August 15, 2017 – 5:32 pm

For the first time in a couple of weeks, John Brown worked in 11-on-11 situations in practice Tuesday. He didn’t run every rep he normally would, because he is, by his own admission after practice, not healed from his quad injury. It was a sullen Smoke who talked about his situation. He clearly knows his absence is felt, and he realizes many want him back on the field. But the wideout made it plain he wasn’t going to rush the process.

“I understand the situation at receiver but I’m just going to come back when I’m ready,” Brown said.

Brown knows his injury history. He’s also key to this offense. If he can get healthy in another week or two, that’s probably good enough. He needs to be healthy when the games count.

“I can’t rush it,” Brown added. “My body is different than others. They expect me to come back fast, but I can’t.”

All the receivers heard Bruce Arians’ message from the day before. Larry Fitzgerald was supposed to have a rest day Tuesday. He was out there practicing. On one touchdown pass to wide receiver Chris Hubert — who didn’t catch the ball as much as he was forced to catch the ball, barely turning around before a Trevor Knight laser lodged in his stomach — Fitzgerald bellowed “We’ve got 12 who can play! We’ve got 12 who can play in the league!”

— It wasn’t a perfect day for on-notice receivers. Rookie Chad Williams got two yards behind a defender and QB Blaine Gabbert dropped in a gorgeous 39-yard bomb perfectly, only to have the ball go through Williams’ arms. But the dropsies went both ways. Safety Tyrann Mathieu, safety Harlan Miller and linebacker Cap Capi all dropped sure interceptions. Capi would easily have had a pick-6 on a throw to the flat.

— Robert Nkemdiche was getting reps in one-on-ones against offensive linemen every time through a unit — first-string, second-string, third-string. The last time through he exploded into and through the chest of rookie guard Dorian Johnson. Clearly, Nkemdiche still needs to work on proper technique. But if he doesn’t get it, it won’t be for lack of coaching.

— DT Frostee Rucker was also supposed to have an off day but like Fitz, he practiced. Carson Palmer, Chris Johnson and Karlos Dansby sat. G Mike Iupati stopped taking reps midway through practice — not sure if it was injury-related, but Cole Toner worked with the first unit — and linebacker Josh Bynes also left practice early. Linebacker Markus Golden (ankle) missed a second straight practice.

— Finally, if there was any question about how hard it is to cover running back David Johnson on pass plays, it was painfully evident. Linebackers have no chance — Johnson twisted up Haason Reddick, Chandler Jones and Scooby Wright at different times. It’s not fair, really.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to “After practice: Hurting John Brown “can’t rush it””

1. By Matt on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

Darren
    Could Vincent Jackson or Stevie Johnson be an option for us?

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

Matt —

RE: Vincent Jackson

Never say never, but he looked pretty old last year.

3. By georgiebird on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

Cards need players in the mold of Fitz/Boldin and Campbell/Dockett. Guys who don’t get injured. Show up every practice, every game.

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Injured

I would think every team would want players who never got injured. You’d win every Super Bowl!

5. By CARDS62 on Aug 15, 2017 | Reply

Hello Darren

I know we are keeping you very busy with all of our questions as we play GM of the Cardinals, one of my favorite games, and I thank you for all of your efforts.

Could you please tell us where the Cardinals are at salary cap wise ?

Thank you and thank you MitchAZ for letting me know I was not going crazy watching the NFL Network. I know it is just preseason, but wow that is very poor quality control on their part.

GO Cards!

6. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

Cards62 —

RE: Cap

As of Wednesday morning the NFLPA has the Cardinals with $11.85M in cap room.

7. By Chris morones on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

I really think jaron brown will be a surprise player this year. He got a extension last year even on injury last year and he was one I’m looking forward to seeing play this year

8. By Marlin on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

You know what kid I really like…. always have…… B. Golden. That kid plays his heart out, multiple roles, always out there, takes a lickin’, keeps going, makes some plays. I hope he makes the team.

9. By Scott H on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

Again, is Dansby practicing at all???? Has there been an injury that he is being careful with or is he just being given the time off???

10. By Darren Urban on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Dansby

He’s practicing little. I think they are being careful with a knee, but it’s one of those things where they’d rather be careful than take a chance.

11. By D on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

TY Hilton is not walking through that door. (shocking proclamation I know)

Just shows you the constant pressure the GM is always under.
    Going into free agency and the draft, everyone was aware of the holes to
    fill for this team in the near future, ie; future QB, #1 WR and CB2, then pile on the fact that AZ had so many holes by departing free agents, and it created a perfect storm of too many holes to fill for 1 Offseason.

12. By D on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

My attempt to bring in a WR if the current WR group of AZ doesn’t show improvement after the Bear game:

Not saying ATL would do this deal, but they do lead the NFL in most $ invested in their WR group at $31.6 mil this year. J. Jones and M. Sanu are making big $ which would lead one to believe, they most likely won’t have much $ to offer one of their WR’s who is in his last year of his deal, Taylor Gabriel.

I would offer Atl a 4th round 2018 draft pick (he was undrafted). Fans should remember him, he lit up AZ for 2 TD’s last year. Cards should have extra draft picks in 2018.

13. By JTDG on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

Hey D,

Maybe we could trade a 2nd rounder and Bethel for Sammy Watkins ? ….. wait what, the rams did that.

Well then we could send Bethel and a 3rd to the Eagles for Jordan Mathews. Oh, never mind.

Wait, we could trade for Brandin Cooks.. Oh wait the Pats did that one.

So, how about this name. Donte Moncrief. In last year of his contract. Colts have money tied up in TY and brought in 4 rookie receivers.

14. By D on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

I like that name JTDG, Donte has more production than Taylor. Donte was a 3rd round draft pick, so the compensation would be more than Taylor in a trade.

Taylor Gabriel 2017 Cap $2.7 mil
    Donte Moncrief 2017 Cap $1.9 mil

15. By Big Ken on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

Nkemdiche ‘exploded on the chest of rookie guard Dorian Johnson’? Haha, Robert is having a great camp and schooling an acclaimed rookie.

16. By Kevin S Mesa on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

I have a feeling that 2017 is going to be a lot like 2016… our top receiver will be Fitz (over 1000 yards), followed by David Johnson (close to 1000), followed by a bunch of “others” in the 500 yard range. I don’t think we’ll have another WR over 800.

17. By CARDS62 on Aug 16, 2017 | Reply

Thanks Darren we can do some damage with 12 million.

JTDG I feel your pain, but stay positive as we still have time to make some moves. Yes like you I to would have liked for the moves to have been made much earlier.

Kevin S. from Mesa. I will take 4 500 yard receivers over 2 800 yard receivers. Just hope we can find 4 guys and at least two of them are John Brown and JJ Nelson, and at least 1 of these 2 are healthy when the playoffs start. Hopefully we will finally use our TEs more this season, but of course we need the pass blocking to hold up so that they can release.

No one likes injuries, but man they are frustrating. Excited about watching TJ Logan in the Cowboy game and now he is out so can not watch him, and Raiders game excited to watch LB Josh Bynes and now he is out with hamstring.

Go Cards and stay healthy!

2. Aug 16, 2017: Cardinals Blogs | “Bored” in camp and more receiverpalooza