After practice: Gump goes headless

Posted by Darren Urban on August 17, 2017 – 4:50 pm

The final practice of the week Thursday didn’t have a ton of flavor. Featuring cards and simulated Bears offensive and defensive plays to prep each side of the ball for Saturday’s game, there wasn’t a lot to draw upon. But afterward it was kind of interesting. Rookie cornerback Gump Hayes came off the field holding shoulder pads and helmets of veterans. That’s not unusual. What was unusual was that he had five sets not including his own — including one balanced on his head, turning Hayes “headless” — and that the players he was helping out were walking with him.

Patrick Peterson even directed him to do an interview with the media, although Peterson asked the questions — addressing Hayes by his given name, De’Chavon.

— As for the actual practice, the receivers looked fairly solid. Rookie Carlton Agudosi returned to practice after hurting his knee last week and made a couple of nice catches, including a touchdown in the red zone. I doubt Agudosi makes the 53-man roster, but he could be intriguing for the future.

— S Harlan Miller made an interception, and had one Wednesday and had he almost had one Tuesday.

— WR Chris Hubert, he of “He’s always wide-ass open” fame, got wide-ass open deep for a touchdown bomb.

— CB Justin Bethel had an interception, but in real life it wouldn’t have been a pick because the Bears quarterback — the offense was running a Chicago play — would have been sacked on a Tyrann Mathieu safety blitz first.

— LT D.J. Humphries seemed to have a slow start to practice, but he rallied later for some solid snaps.

— After the game Saturday, the Cardinals come back Monday for a practice. One week left of training camp, with three practices open to the public.

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to “After practice: Gump goes headless”

1. By 53 Card deck on Aug 17, 2017 | Reply

Who would make a better radio-sideline reporter? You, or Patrick Peterson?
    I’m only being semi-serious because PP is getting better at these interviews!

2. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

53 Card —

RE: Peterson

I’m sure Patrick would be good at a lot of things he put his mind to.

3. By Jon on Aug 17, 2017 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Unrelated question, but I was wondering if you guys have thought about switching over to the “blog” style comment format for the main news articles. Those articles are loaded with spam comments which makes commenting basically pointless. No one has conversations under those articles. I believe the spam combined with needing to comment using a facebook account are two big reasons why. Any chance you guys can switch over to the superior setup you have for the blogs?

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

Jon —

RE: Comments

I know the spam has gotten bad. I am fighting it as best I can but it is something Facebook has a problem with.

I hope to have a new commenting system for articles at some point. It won’t be exactly like the blog because the blog is through WordPress — and to be truthful, I may have to get away from this form of the blog in the future as well.

But again, I am aware of the commenting problem and pressing those who can control it to make it better.

5. By Scott H on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

Gump was later heard saying “Life is like a box of chocolates…..”

6. By Scott H on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

Not related, but I got such a kick out of a headline currently up on NFL.com about Marshawn Lynch being mum on why he sat during the national anthem over the weekend.

Really?? Marshawn Lynch is mum on EVERYTHING! The man doesn’t talk. He would be mum on what he had for breakfast this morning!

7. By Scott H on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

Also not related, but…..more horrific terror attacks yesterday in foreign cities, at a popular tourist destinations. I expressed concerns for this before and got a lot of responses that basically said get over it, we have to live our lives, and we can’t do it in fear.

OK. Well, I would say that is what the innocent people who were either killed or injured in Barcelona yesterday were doing. I’m not saying we have to stop living our lives. But in terms of NFL games in Europe – and let’s not forget that some of the recent terror attacks took place in London – we have to know that is going to be a very tempting target for these incredibly bold maniacs that are planning these things.

Can’t help feeling a little more concerned when my team – people that really are a big part of my life – are going to be over there.

8. By mal on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

Darren-

I can well understand why you would want to “get away from this form of the blog” in the future, with all the inane comments and whining you have to wade thru each day.

But this format cant be beat for us fans who just want to pose a question. It’d be a real shame to lose it.

Rather than abandon it totally, maybe when you get away from it, Mr Odegard could take over the duties?

9. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

Mal, Ben —

RE: Blog

Don’t misunderstand. I don’t want to get away from the blog personally. I like this blog. I like the commenting. But the league would prefer me to use only the main CMS platform, to better measure traffic. Plus, for whatever reason, my blog posts don’t have the same reach on social as stories on our regular platform.

10. By Ben on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

“and to be truthful, I may have to get away from this form of the blog in the future as well.”

What does this mean?? You are my lifeline D.URB dont leave us!!!!!

11. By Scott H on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

Well, I’ll say it if no one else will ( and maybe someone already has ) – I am not happy with this Dansby situation. This is just not right that he is like the invisible man around here so far. He isn’t practicing. He isn’t playing. How CAN he play when he isn’t practicing???

We know that older players get days off to rest. And that is fine as long as they are healthy.

But it doesn’t feel fine when a player isn’t practicing at all. NO ONE who is still able to play in the NFL needs that much rest. And this is a guy we are counting on to be a STARTER and the usual play-making machine he has always been this year. Or….should I say we WERE counting on him??? Because CAN we really count on him at this point?

I get that he is a veteran player who already knows most of what he needs to know. I don’t worry about that. But….ya still gotta be in football shape to be able to play football! And I don’t see how he can possibly be there right now.

12. By Marlin on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

I come to this blog to escape the nasties of the real world. People who blog here about terrorism should be filtered out. There are plenty of other portals that we can dedicate that discussion to. Scott H. is way out of line bringing that here,…. and it should have been filtered. thumbs down me all you want, people.

13. By Darren Urban on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

Marlin —

RE: Terrorism

I appreciate your thoughts. But I think Scott was fine in context. I had no problem with the comment.

14. By faster on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

” ..and to be truthful, I may have to get away from this form of the blog in the future as well …”

sad, if the new one will need a account at fakebook, count me out.

15. By Scott H on Aug 20, 2017 | Reply

Marlin –

For the record, I DID give you a thumbs down.