Friday before the Bears, a preseason meme

Posted by Darren Urban on August 18, 2017 – 2:49 pm

The Bears, the Cardinals and really, who takes the third game of the preseason like it’s bullspit? Bullspit!

I know it’s only Week 2 for the Bears — and frankly, for the Cardinals, who aren’t marching their main guys out for a half until next week’s Week 4/Week 3 game in Atlanta — so again, this is more of a ramp-up game. Bruce Arians isn’t calling plays until next week (that falls on QB coach Byron Leftwich again.) There will be around 20 plays for the starters, although as usual it could be less if each unit is effective. The biggest story in the game will probably be Chicago QBs Mike Glennon vs. Mitchell Trubisky, so we can see how Tyrann Mathieu and Patrick Peterson and company can mess with the immediate Bears future.

(In ’06, that Bears preseason game was Matt Leinart’s second appearance in the NFL, after playing on only a couple of days of practice — he signed late — in New England the week before. Leinart vs Warner. Those were the days.)

— It’ll be the first game for left tackle D.J. Humphries. Arians said Humphries did fine in his first practice Wednesday. I thought he had a slow start to Thursday’s work. As with the whole offensive line, he needs to ramp up — although again, with so much camp, there is plenty of time to get ready.

— Speaking of getting ready, the same goes for linebacker Karlos Dansby, who has been bothered by a leg issue. Deone Bucannon is ostensibly still on target to return to practice likely after the preseason games are over. Maybe a couple of days before. That inside linebacker crew could be a juggling situation for the first game. Haason Reddick is clearly still learning, and Scooby Wright, while solid on special teams, has shortcomings on defense. Both are players to watch against the Bears.

— DT Robert Nkemdiche has played well in the preseason but this week, the coaching clearly got harder. Nkemdiche is doing the right things as far as effort and intensity. But the technique must improve, because that is what will beat the better players in the regular season. Everyone has the talent.

— Others I’ll be watching in particular this week: Both punters; Kerwynn Williams on another punt return or two; the down-depth-chart receivers like Carlton Agudosi and Chris Hubert in particular since Brittan Golden (groin) likely won’t play; Justin Bethel and Tramon Williams (I haven’t forgotten about CB No. 2); and more Budda Baker.

— It’d be nice to see a little David Johnson but not too much.

— I’ll be curious to see how much John Brown plays. Smoke did much more in practice this week. But he certainly is not 100 percent, and the trainers keep a close eye on that quad injury. Still, Brown made some plays Thursday, and after one touchdown Larry Fitzgerald made sure everyone knew it was Smoke and then made sure to give Brown the side-five.

— Fitz, by the way, seemed like he was having a great time Thursday. For a guy who is usually tops on the list of wishing training camp wasn’t so long, it didn’t seem to be impacting him. That’s probably good, because after the game, there’s still one week left.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to “Friday before the Bears, a preseason meme”

1. By joe holst on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

all these inside linebackers dropping like flies and hard to believe Daryl Washington won’t at least get a tryout, from anyone!. He could be a series diamond in the rough and nobody will touch him? Why? He fulfilled all the league requirements Anyone know what he;s up too?

2. By erik on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

You’re reading my mind, Joe! Reddick looks lost out there(Not at all calling him a bust, he is just a rookie) and Dansby is only getting older. I know DWash was selfish and screwed the team, blah, blah… But at this point, who cares!? The dude can play and I don’t see the risk of bringing him back. I just want to see the Cards win and he would be an upgrade. Don’t take my word for it. Look at what his former teammates said when he was reinstated. They know the dude can ball like only a few others can. I know, I know, not going to happen. Just wishful thinking…

3. By Woody on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

Like alot of people, I too was a big fan of DWash. However, I totally respect the decision lobbied against him by ownership. Their was probably a little more going on (personally) with him . The Cardinals have always attempted to seek out quality players (on/off field). I agree with that mentality. I don’t like distractions going on with the team.

You know theirs something going on when not even the Dallas Cowboys aren’t inquiring about DWash, even with their roster full of suspended/problem players

4. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2017 | Reply

All —

RE: DWash

I don’t know what would have happened with DWash. But it was a non-starter when he declined to play for the minimum. His right. But as you can see, no one else has wanted him either.

5. By clssylssy on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

Well, they better figure it out fast b/c the Seahawks are looking big, physical and deep and the rest of the NFC West is biting at our heels with retooled management and a renewed hunger. Seahawks have enough talent for a couple of teams and so will have to cut some good players…just hope the Cards have learned when to hold’em and when to fold’em!
    They should never have cut Washington but they’ll never admit it.

6. By Don on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

DW USED to be able to play, doubt he has the ability or even desire to play anymore. My personal opinion is he never had any intention of playing for the Cards or anyone else. Cards were waiting for his contract to run out so they could try to get their 10 mil back, that would have been a lot easier to do if he had not made the effort to play for them. Now it goes to court and he can say ” I was willing to play, they didn’t want me. Seriously, if he really wanted to play his name would be in the news, his agent would make sure it was and he would be willing to sign a one year deal for min. People who think this guy is still good after 3 years not playing and in his 30s just prove P T Barnum was right.

7. By sbrown on Aug 18, 2017 | Reply

D. Wash did not want to stay and play on a one year “show me” kind of contract. He wanted to get paid big bucks, and play as a starter.

Unless that has changed, no one is going to pay a guy that has not been on an NFL filed in three seasons, starter money.

Plus, 31 other teams could have signed him for the start of camp, but nobody has, maybe that tells us something…

8. By shannon robinson on Aug 19, 2017 | Reply

I’m watching first the interior of that second unit offensive line. Tony Bergstrom and Cole Turner side by each. The work of Wetzel and John is intriguing. Personally, the fight for the top 9 O-Linemen to make this team is Tops. It will take real guts to make this rotation since Holden and Dorian Johnson are going to take up two spots. I would like us to run the ball strong and in a dominating fashion when the the Cards come out of the blocks week one. Interesting that Bundy got cut after a number of catches (and a drop) vs. the Raiders. There are group consequences and Keim took the hindmost. Al K Hall is a bad team mate. Thumbs up for me that they brought on a replacement from UNM to give us another tough inside linebacker. And by the way, I’d rather have Scooby Wright on my Cards defense than a toxic D Wash. What’s he doing now? Going to the gym, watching TV, and burning up inside over his life decisions and the injustice of the results. Not who I want us to build our team around – what if he attached himself to Haason, would you advise our rookie star to stay away? I wish the best for Tramon and Brandon Williams, but as BA said several years ago, “If Bethel plays up to his potential, we’ll be alright.” There’s a lot of excitement in this game to see our Cards’ team come together.

9. By dynosoar on Aug 19, 2017 | Reply

I know it’s been a while since I posted, but let me assure ya’ll I still read every day.

I hear from time to time about D-Wash (and this posting has some comments as well.) I find the whole situation interesting. He WAS a great linebacker and could have been a perennial Pro-Bowler (and it would have been as a part of OUR favorite team.)

But he made choices that took him on a different path. Now he’s on the outside looking in. It would be interesting to understand why he’s not getting workout (but maybe he is, how many of us watch the inner workings of any other team to know if he is getting word out by another team or teams? I know I don’t)

Could he help our team or another? He says he can and he’s in shape. So why isn’t he on a team? Joe and Eric, I think that’s a million dollar question. All I know is I’m excited to see where our team goes this season.

And yes, Super Bowl or Nothing at All

(One game at a time, not focusing beyond one game at a time so the stress isn’t too great. We all know what it feels like to have nothing at all, let’s try again to see what a Super Bowl win for our team feels like.)

10. By JTDG on Aug 19, 2017 | Reply

DWash;

Are we really talking about him?

Truth; our 2 starting inside linebackers this year will be Dansby and Buc. at some point with Reddick as one backup and the other TBD.

Scooby and Gooden will have an opportunity to make a statement tonight with many ILBs out.

If DBs get beat by no receivers and Glennon/Trubisky of the bears, that would be a very bad sign. Shouldnt be much of a test.

But I will be watching certain things;

1, cards dline vs bears interior line. Long, Sitton and Whitehair are very good. How does Nkemdichi and company fair against them.

2. Bears OLBs vs Humphries and Veldheer.
    With Veldheer moving to RT and Humphries to LT, it will be interesting to see their pass pro vs Leonard Floyd and company.

3. cards receivers other than Fitz and DJ.
    There were times last year when I thought those two were the only receivers playing. Can anyone step up? It has been an issue in practice.

4. Will we see the Badger?
    He is back according to reports at practice. Since I will be at the game, I would love to see Tyrann being the Badger.

11. By Joe Cardea on Aug 19, 2017 | Reply

Clssy, you seem intrigued by seattle. You know they have one of the worst offensive lines in football and their starting left tackle is lost for the season as of last night. I think you are too pessimistic. Not only are the Cardinals a solid NFC west contender this year, which is all you can ask in the preseason, but they have no dead money in the future and the cap flex to sign their own up and coming stars and some good free agents. As a Card fan I’e never been more optimistic. Are we super bowl favorites? No. But we weren’t in 2008 either. Let’s win are division, get a bye and take it from there.

12. By Joe Cardea on Aug 19, 2017 | Reply

13. By TucsonTim on Aug 19, 2017 | Reply

So, the Cards offered D Wash a contract at league minimum?

14. By Darren Urban on Aug 19, 2017 | Reply

TucsonTim —

RE: DWash

He was officially under contract still when reinstated. It’s my understanding that part of those first discussions was whether he was willing to take a cut to the minimum. He didn’t want to do that, preferring to be a free agent. Now, there were other talks still to be had, I believe, to see if they would keep him. But without agreement on the money, the rest didn’t matter.

15. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 19, 2017 | Reply

Dynosoar…..nice to know you’re still with us

16. By Kevin W. Dobbs on Aug 19, 2017 | Reply

I think Larry’s ready and a
    So is Carson and the starters to have a terrific season once again. Cards defense will be fantastic this year with T back Peterson and the new trade safety every Cardinal is ready for flight… Go fellow Cardinals Go Win$it all if you can for the hipper gibber

Kevin

17. By clssylssy on Aug 19, 2017 | Reply

Joe Cardenas…
    A clarification; I am very Interested in our competition, especially all of the NFC but more so our rivals in the West. I watch about all of the game and prefer to draw my own conclusions. But, yes, I was aware that the Seahawks O-line was considered their biggest weakness but nonetheless they still manage to protect their QBs allowing them to win quite handily! So, where do you suppose the Cards Oline ranks, or did you catch the game tonight? What frustrates me the most is that in my twenty-five years in Az we’ve never had a good O-line and we
    Don’t seem to know how to fix the problem. We cannot very well contend for anything with our QB trying to throw from a supine position! Our blocking is all but non-existent when Larry,,Chris, &Gresham aren’t on the field so, pessimistic?
    I like to see it as having high standards. As for size, physicality, intensity, yes, the Seahawks seem to have that in spades but so does a number of other teams including Minnesota and I’m not sure what to say about that except that I hope we get a wake up call soon. For a team that was suppose to have turned the page, this looked a lot like last years team, kinda lethargic and sloppy.

18. By clssylssy on Aug 20, 2017 | Reply

And furthermore…
    I could care a hoot about our dead money can future cap because the future is now as far as I’m concerned. When BA came here he boasted that he would get us the SB win Coach Whiz couldn’t, so, time to put up or shut up as far as I’m concerned. Other teams manage to scout talent and we’re lucky to be able to count on one hand the playmakers signed by BASK. Yes, I guess I am impressed with a lot that Seattle has been able to do because as they have developed a system that works year after year we have stagnated (and I remember when they were a joke). All I want is progress and growth and that SB ring before Larry rides off into the sunset.

2. Aug 20, 2017: Cardinals Blogs | Bears aftermath, thankfully with no OT