After practice: Dansby’s chicken reaction

Posted by Darren Urban on August 21, 2017 – 4:33 pm

Karlos Dansby, veteran linebacker and southern gentleman (he’s from Birmingham, Alabama), was asked about adding a Chick-Fil-A store to the new Atlanta Falcons stadium and how Chick-Fil-A will still be closed on Sundays, even there. Los had a lot to say.

“That ain’t right, man. That ain’t right,” Dansby said with a grin. “How do you do something like that? You put a Chick-Fil-A in the stadium, and y’all play on Sundays. It just don’t add up. Know what I’m saying? Everybody is going to be expecting Chick-Fil-A to be open on Sunday at the game. That’s tough, man. I feel sorry for the people. That’s embarrassing. You can’t do that to the fans. It’s not right. Hey man, it’s not right. Hopefully, Chick-Fil-A will step their game up.”

It should be noted that the Cardinals’ game this weekend at brand-new Mercedes Benz Stadium — literally brand-new, since Cardinals-Falcons will be the first event held there — is on Saturday. Los can get some sweet tea if he wants.

— Left guard Mike Iupati left practice early on after trainers were looking at his right elbow/arm. Cole Toner took his spot on the first unit. Receiver Brittan Golden and linebacker Josh Bynes were back limited. Linebacker Philip Wheeler (foot) isn’t back, but he was in uniform with helmet when he was running rehab sprints.

— Wide receiver John Brown did well in his only practice of the week (he is headed to a funeral back home in Florida and will meet the team in Atlanta). He was in the mix through the entire practice and afterward said he was feeling better and wanted to play Saturday. At this point, I’d be surprised if he did not.

— Practices this week are more like the regular season, with scout offenses and defenses prepping the other side of the ball for the opponent. So the actual play isn’t quite like we’ve seen earlier in camp.

— The Cardinals closed with length-of-field two-minute drill work. It was apparently cleared with strength and conditioning coach Buddy Morris, who with his staff monitors the players’ steps to make sure they don’t over-extend themselves. Larry Fitzgerald good-naturedly called Morris out for letting it happen. Then Fitzgerald delivered his normal “punishment” — a Fitz sneak-attack tackle.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to “After practice: Dansby’s chicken reaction”

1. By JR on Aug 21, 2017 | Reply

With all due respect for Fitz, he needs to quit making unexpected tackles before he hurts someone else. It’s not funny anymore. Arians needed surgery. for Pete’s sake.

2. By sdcardfan on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

JR, please tell me you’re kidding. I’m guessing you don’t have kids yet. When I read that little bit about Fitz and Morris, I had hoped there would be a video of the tackle. I understand and appreciate your concern with someone getting hurt while playing a little grab*##, but come on, lighten up. That’s all Larry is trying to do, keep things light.

3. By clssylssy on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

So far Dansby has been a major disappointment, although I think Keim’s real motive in signing him was more of a nostalgia factor, as a cheap way to quiet any support for Daryl Washington (much better player) or stave off the cries for the return of Dwight Freeney. And, while Freeney is two years older, he seems to have weathered the years better than Dansby and was a real difference maker when he was Dansby’s age, playing for the Cards. The fact that Freeney officially was a DE, was kinda blurred in the Cardinal system when he played inside, functioning more as an ILB. Nonetheless, I hope Dansby doesn’t turn out to be a total bust and can live up to the hype of LOS being back. To me, Dansby has always been a “me first” guy and I don’t look for him to break a sweat unless there is something in it for him (like a SB ring) which may take time to develop and I’m not sure we can afford to wait. AFAIC, Dwight Freeney he’s not, and I hope SK can see the handwriting on the wall before it’s too late.
    While I’m not even sure Freeney is interested in playing, I’m just saying that Keim has done better in finding veterans looking to restart their careers (Lorenzo Alexander, Cory Redding, Freeney) and my expectations for Dansby are tempered by his history and lack of production so far.

4. By JTDG on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

Tough to blame Chick Fil A , although many are.

It is the stadiums fault.
    Everyone knows they are closed on Sundays for Religious and Family time.
    Shouldn’t have put them in the stadium.

5. By Scott H on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

JR –

C’mon, man. THIS is what you are worried about right now?? I WISH that were the biggest of my concerns. Look, Fitz has been doing this for years and has yet to hurt anyone. Nor have I heard anyone voice one word of concern about it. It is a playful thing that has become part of the legend of Larry and something we, as fans, have come to look forward to. Like sdcardfan, I LOVE the videos of him taking people down.

Worry about something else. It’s gonna be alright.

6. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

The Chik:

“Our founder, Truett Cathy, made the decision to close on Sundays in 1946 when he opened his first restaurant in Hapeville, Georgia. Having worked seven days a week in restaurants open 24 hours, Truett saw the importance of closing on Sundays so that he and his employees could set aside one day to rest and worship if they choose – a practice we uphold today.”

The stadium uses their space on Sunday serving other food, just not the Chik…no harm, no fowl…

7. By Martin Cook on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

I agree with Carlos. I thought this was super silly when I first read about it. People need to realize though that there are 6 other days in the week and that new stadium I am sure is booked out and will do fine at events and concerts. Otherwise, they would not have ponied up the loot to get a spot in the stadium if they were thinking about Sundays. … Just sayin

8. By Big Ken on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

I hope Dansby has something more in his tank other than Chick Fil A and sweet tea.

9. By JTDG on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

Adam Smith;

No Harm, no fowl;

Dang, I wish I thought of that one.

10. By JTDG on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

Bruce Arians, on @ArizonaSports, asked about the No. 2 QB spot: “Oh, the decision is made.” Stanton is the guy. Gabbert improving.

This is as puzzling as why we kept Butler last year so long.

I guess I heard (maybe Darren said this, maybe I heard elsewhere) that Palmer is comfortable going to the sideline and having Stanton there to help.
    But if that is the case, make him a coach.

When you watch Gabbert and Stanton Live in person, I just don’t understand what they see in Stanton. Stanton throws into coverage instead of making the right reads, he is inaccurate, I just dont see it.

With Gabbert, I see a live arm, a progression in his reads, good decisions.

Well Butler couldn’t punt and Cat Man couldn’t kick, yet they were named “our guys” last year. I’m lost on this completely.

On the flip side, we aren’t winning if Palmer goes down in 2017, so I guess the point is mute.

11. By D on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

Don’t be ripping on Chick Fil A, some good eats.

Gabbert has been impressive against backups and vanilla defenses, let’s let him learn the offense this year and hopefully we don’t see him in a game. (meaning multiple injuries)

Hopefully Mike I. isn’t out for too long, big year for him with his Cap#
    Appears K. Martin has improved finally at DE/OLB, maybe he replaces J. Jones who may not make the 53.

Tired of hearing from the media how WW3 is about to occur in downtown Phx tonight…spreading fear almost as much as the hype of a little fight in Vegas this weekend…

12. By Scott H on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Stanton

As always, I hear and appreciate all that you say. And though we agree much more often than not, we have not seemed to see eye to eye on Stanton. Hey, I gotta go with what the coaches apparently see / feel / believe on this one. It has to be about more than just what we can see on TV or from even being at the games.

We are clearly counting on Carson Palmer for 2017, period. Since that is the case, then if having Stanton here is part of his comfort level, then I’m in favor of whatever may help Palmer be a better QB.

I think, and have thought all along, that the point about the level of competition that Gabbert has been going against so far is EXTREMELY valid. Let’s be honest – Gabbert’s career stats to this point don’t offer much to be excited about. IF he happens to become a part of our future, then I’m sure he will have earned it. BUT his past to this point certainly doesn’t make that seem likely. We’ll see.

And as you say – if we lose Palmer, we’re done. So….how much does it really matter? I’m with ya on that one.

13. By Big Ken on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

I’m ripping more on Dansby. It wasn’t too long ago we lost Palmer, inserted Stanton and the lost him too. Stanton has been here awhile, I get it. Pull Palmer out of the the mix (retirement?) we’d have some serious competition.

14. By CARDS62 on Aug 22, 2017 | Reply

Completely agree with JTDG on Gabbert over Stanton, but I did notice how well Stanton played in the Raiders game. I think they should have played Stanton longer in the Bears game, but he once again did not look good to me.

I am more concerned again with poor offensive line play. Palmer and our other QBs are getting hit way too much.

Wish we would have brought an experience interior lineman in with a couple of CBs. You need at least 3 good CBs in this league so I think Bethel and his progress will be fine if we bring in a CB like Darby.

Go Cards!

15. By clssylssy on Aug 23, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    Obviously there is much more that is going into this decisions on the backup than who the fans like best. I have never thought for an instant that Gabbard was brought into replace Stanton but rather as a possible option and project for further down the road. Chances are that when Palmer retires, BA will not be far behind him and any new coach will want to bring in their own guy. Gabbard, in that instance would make sense as the veteran the new franchise guy could learn behind or compete against for the starting job as we see so often. I think BA has been clear all along who his backup is, not only because of hiStanton’s knowledge of the offense and Palmer’s confidence in him, but also because Stanton has the confidence of the team behind him. I don’t know why fans are getting so worked up over this when having three good QBs is really a pretty great place to be, unlike previous years. Considering the poor job our offense does in protecting the QB, we will likely need all three and having a 3rd QB who is good is covering both ends and pretty good insurance IMO.
    I am MUCH more concerned with our receivers and other areas like O-line, D-line and linebackers than the QB position which seems to be pretty well covered.

16. By Scott H on Aug 23, 2017 | Reply

That is just absolutely ridiculous that an NFL team is putting a concession in their stadium that will be closed on SUNDAY. How does that make sense, for the stadium OR for Chick-fil-A? Are they expecting to make a killing during Thurs & Mon Night games?????

That is some mighty fine chicken, though!

17. By Hammy on Aug 23, 2017 | Reply

Speaking of the Back up Quarterbacks….. I really dont see a 37 year old Carson Palmer being able to stay completely healthy all year long. The older you are the more susceptible you are to injuries. Can you count on our OLine to keep him upright? If we had an OLine like that beast in Dallas then I wouldnt be worried at all. With that said, we cant run David Johnson ragged and expect to win in this league. You have to throw the ball to win. I would like to see Gabbert play with our 1st unit for the next preseason game but highly doubt it’s gonna happen. If you are “evaluating” a quarterback for the future wouldnt you play him with your best players against the best competition? I love our coaching staff but this really frustrates me! Gabbert has looked more comfortable than Stanton, more accurate, and has displayed incredible athleticism; giving us a dual threat quarterback for the first time since Jake “The Snake” Plummer!

From watching the preseason and camp thus far I cant see how Momah is not our second tight end? Stop using both TE’s to block and utilize them more heavily in the passing game. Anyways… BIRDGANG Baby!

18. By clssylssy on Aug 23, 2017 | Reply

We should also bear in mind that Stanton has been in the league long enough to be vested and may also be considering retirement in the not to distant future. Gabbard might be seen as an interim bridging backup down the road.

19. By Scott H on Aug 24, 2017 | Reply

clssylssy –

Well, we seem to agree on Stanton and Gabbert in regard to how it seemed likely to play out here in 2017. No, it didn’t seem likely that Stanton was going too get bumped as our back-up. NOT after the good he has done here ( which so many fans, in-explicably, have completely dis-regarded ) and NOT after the team re-signed him in the off-season. AND not with the comfort level that Palmer has with Stanton as his go-to guy on the sidelines. The importance of that cannot be over-looked. Since we’re going for it with Palmer in 2017, then I want Palmer to be a comfy as possible. That is in the TEAM’S best interest.

From here, let me refer you to my most recent post to mitchaz under another blog for my thoughts on where I think it’s all going with Gabbert at this point. I don’t want to repeat all that again! If you care to, give that a look.

But other points of agreement I have with you are that, yes, having 3 good / solid QB’s this year would certainly not suck. Hey, if 2014 repeats itself, we’ll be damn grateful. And, yes, we DO have other greater concerns at other positions. Ya don’t have to look far to find those.

20. By Adam L on Aug 26, 2017 | Reply

clssylssy-

First off, the name is GABBERT. I have no idea who this Gabbard guy you keep referring to is, maybe he could play ILB or #2CB for us though?

Secondly, about Karlos Dansby. You do realize the man is hurt right now, right? I have experienced a strained calf muscle myself. In the beginning 2 weeks I had to use crutches just to even get out of bed. Putting any pressure on the leg with the strained calf felt like someone was stabbing me over and over again.

So, I am saying give Dansby some time to show what he still has left. Maybe after the 3rd Regular Season game would be a better time to evaluate him, and not after 3 PREseason games where he’s seeing VERY limited action?

– Adam L