Bethel to start, McCain visits

Posted by Darren Urban on August 24, 2017 – 1:00 pm

It comes as no surprise by now, but the battle for the No. 2 cornerback spot never really ended up much of a battle. Justin Bethel was the leading candidate coming into camp and no one ever really came close. Coach Bruce Arians officially said Bethel was the starter opposite Patrick Peterson.

“He’s earned that job,” Arians said.

“I’m as pleased with the corner position as I am with just about any position on the team right now,” Arians added.

Brandon Williams and Tramon Williams will be the No. 3 and No. 4 corners. It’s likely that those are the only four cornerbacks the Cardinals keep on the 53-man roster, given an abundance of safeties.

— The penultimate Cardinals training camp practice featured a visit from the governor. The final one Thursday featured a U.S. senator. Huge Cardinals fan John McCain stopped by during the workout, chatting with team president Michael Bidwill, General Manager Steve Keim and scout Adrian Wilson for a bit before coming down to the field and getting a couple of minutes to talk to Larry Fitzgerald, Carson Palmer and then David Johnson.

“It was cool,” Johnson said. “We just got to talking about Iowa, bringing up the old memories. The Iowa state fair where everything’s fried, fried twinkies and stuff.”

Tackle D.J. Humphries joked that McCain wanted to talk to the wrong D.J.

“I don’t think I’m cool enough,” Humphries said. “That’s all it is. There’s a hierarchy when it comes to cool guys, and I don’t think I’ve met that level of expectancy to be ‘Cool Guy’ yet. Maybe next year I’ll give it a shot. I’ll try harder next year.”

— The receivers rallied in camp after Arians said they needed to pick up their game. One player in particular was J.J. Nelson, Arians said, adding that Nelson will be a captain Saturday night.

— Arians said the Cardinals, who return to their Tempe facility next week, will be practicing earlier in the morning to prep for the early morning kickoffs as the regular season begins. Both the first two games, at Detroit and at Indianapolis, will kick off at 10 a.m. Arizona time.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “Bethel to start, McCain visits”

1. By D on Aug 24, 2017 | Reply

ATL should be a decent test Sat even without their starting RB playing. They have great play makers on Offense and a very good pass rusher on D.

I have many concerns with what we have seen so far this preseason with AZ with the poor WR and OL play, along with poor DL and LB play. Some due to injuries to Dansby, DBuc, J. Brown and Iupati. Some to the influx/movement of players along the OL and inexperience with Reddick at LB. Right now, I don’t see how AZ has gained on Seattle this offseason to win the division. Without the threat of J. Brown taking the top off, opposing Defenses will just stack the box against D. Johnson.

I believe Keim needs to pull another late trade to obtain another impact player that would help this team get to 10 wins and a chance for at least a wildcard spot. I know many fans won’t agree but you can’t expect this team to turn on a switch come 9-10 in DET and start playing great.

2. By Big Ken on Aug 24, 2017 | Reply

Big dress rehearsal for the starters.

3. By Big Ken on Aug 24, 2017 | Reply

Lol @ ‘the wrong DJ’. Gotta love those guys in the trenches!

4. By Scott H on Aug 24, 2017 | Reply

I’ve always appreciated BA’s candor and willingness to keep it real. But….I gotta say, I’m reading his comments about Bethel and how happy he is with the CB position….and I don’t think I’m heating anything that sounds all that convincing at all.

RE: He’s earned that job

OK. Against what competition?? On how many other teams in the NFL right now is Justin Bethel a starting CB?

RE: I’m as pleased with the corner position as I am with just about any position on the team right now.

OK, what are people taking from that? I don’t know that I’m buying that. AND given that we KNOW he hasn’t been happy at all with some of the other positions ( WR, punter, etc ), what does that REALLY say??

That is a statement that is wide ( ass? ) open to meaning just about whatever you think it means.

5. By Steve88 on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

I still can’t believe John McCain voted no on the healthcare over haul. This boggles comprehension. This from a sitting Senator, in a state, where premiums increased over 100%. This was simply a procedural vote to get to the next step to begin formulating what was to be the American Healthcare Act. Everyone cheered and was so full of admiration because he got up out of a hospital bed(I say this as respectfully as possible, cancer is a horrific illness) and flew cross country to be part of this vote. Some of us actually thought he went to fight for healthcare, and by extension, the American people. Turns out he only went, to go against his entire party, and vote against reducing premiums and fighting for the working man. Then, 2 days later, he’s talking about wanting to start working on immigration reform, another colossal waste of taxpayer money and time because they will accomplish ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and he knows this. Senator McCain voted on this very same resolution, to repeal Obamacare, a few years ago because he knew Obama would veto the bill. Now, when he has a President, with pen in hand, he votes against the very same bill. President Trump was spot on right, politicians are all talk and do nothing!!!!!

6. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

Steve88

Indefensible with AZ down to 1 carrier and 100% + premium increases. Sad to see dying succumb to spite in face of suffering Americans. Inexplicable… surprised Urb let you post that…

On lighter note 🙂 wondering with Iupati hurt, Veldheer at RT and having contemplated impact of concussions, Dorian/Holden clearly not ready, Toner, Boehm not yet dominant nor maybe even adequate, whether Cards bring in big Vet Guard or Tackle? hmmmn

7. By JohnnyBluenose on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

Steve88….this is where I come to read about the Arizona Cardinals, to read the comments of others about FOOTBALL and to sometimes express an opinion about something related to FOOTBALL. I’m surprised that Darren posted your comments.

8. By Darren Urban on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

All —

RE: Comments

For the most part, I do not censor here. I thought that’s what people wanted. For the record, I do not agree with the original comment. But I am a journalist at heart, and I don’t like the idea of censoring if I can help it. Many have responded, which is also OK. The other option on that or any comment is to not read/ignore it.

9. By D on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

K. Ealy vs Sheldon Richardson? I would think Richardson would cost less to acquire than Ealy right now. Although Richardson has a 8mil salary this year, his production playing DE would be more productive than Ealy. I think with F. Rucker in that room, he would be able to keep Richardson’s mind right for one year. The Jets have a lot of $ invested on their Dline, and I would think they still would trade him. I would even give as high as a 4th round draft pick right now for him if Keim wants to go all out this year to win now.
    Richardson, along with Peters, Mauro, Rucker, X. Williams, Pierre, Nkemdiche and Gunter would be a nice DLine. (I don’t think Stinson will make the 53 and I want to see more this year for Gunter as he didn’t do much last year)

10. By Brett Dunn on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

@Steve88 leave the politics out of here just because he visited the Cards. Not all agree with you and I lost a very young brother in law at age 20 to a GBM, which is a highly aggressive form of brain cancer. If not for Obamacare we would be swimming in debt. I am a native and in no way follow suit in the peer pressure to align right… And now I am looped into the argument… ugh

11. By BirdsSTC on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

Steve88… I think you’re on the wrong site

12. By JTDG on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

After being released from camp, the best quote (from Darren’s article);

“I’ve never been to jail,” tackle D.J. Humphries added, “but I’m pretty sure I don’t want to go after these five weeks.”

13. By Coach K on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

Wish McCain would stay home. Politicians make me sick.

14. By D on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

Ahmad Brooks over J. Jones for backup OLB

15. By JTDG on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

Politics;

I agree with everyone that this is my escape. What is really unfortunate is how politics are invading sports.

Come on man, not letting Robert Lee do a game because of his name?? ESPN needs to fire everyone involved in that decision.

Or Cleveland continuing the kneel down. I guess that is one way to get the media to pay attention to the Browns.

Then you have John McCain appearing on our sight. How can you not think first about his politics.

Folks, there is no escape anymore. I like what Von Miller says, he is there to entertain. I think that is good advice.

16. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2017 | Reply

JTDG (and all) —

RE: Politics

I agree there is no escape. Frankly, maybe that’s what the country needs — to stop ignoring what’s going on so we can all make an effort to fix what’s wrong.

But on a more myopic level, everyone complaining about talking politics here is still talking politics. Just keeps the subject alive.

17. By Don on Aug 25, 2017 | Reply

I had more confidence in February of us being 10+ and making the playoffs than I do now and it’s because of our O-line. If Palmer isn’t protected we are toast and if Palmer gets beat like he did last year then the odds of him coming back for 18 drop to zero. The O-line was having problems last year before the injuries started, I’m not reassured at this point

18. By Adam L on Aug 26, 2017 | Reply

-D

I too also saw the 49ers were stupid enough to let OLB Ahmad Brooks get away from them. Could you imagine our formation where we use 3 OLB’s with the Golden One,Jones, and Brooks along with Karlos Dansby and the Boo CANNON inside? WoW, that would be hell for an OLine and QB to guess where the blitzers are coming from!!!

19. By Adam L on Aug 26, 2017 | Reply

– Darren

Do you think the CARDS will bring in Ahmad Brooks? With the recent waive of Daniel Gray they do have an OPEN roster spot, right?

I also have often wondered if you ever bring any of our crazy trade proposals or players to look at up to Keim,BA,Bidwill, or any of the team Captains???

Thanks for your awesome continued coverage of our CARDS Football.

20. By Darren Urban on Aug 26, 2017 | Reply

Adam L —

RE: Brooks

I do not expect Brooks. I don’t expect them to fill that 90th spot, frankly, not when cutdowns are due in a week.

And alas, no, I do not bring up suggestions made here to the front office.

21. By Scott H on Aug 27, 2017 | Reply

FWIW, I echo the basic premise that Darren is reminding us of again but is in play at all times – it’s like a buffet, folks. Take what you like, leave what you don’t. If ya don’t like where a post is going, why keep reading? Move on.

With all due respect to Steve88, when I got the flavor of his post ( politics ), I was out. I still don’t even know what the point is / was. I moved on. That is how I preserve the escape aspect of this blog.

22. By Bob L on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

Leave Hanoi John off of this site! He has nothing to do with football, and has never done AZ any good. But I guess Bud is a major sponsor at the stadium.