Starter or not, Boone addition helps

Posted by Darren Urban on September 5, 2017 – 2:48 pm

All along, Steve Keim fretted about offensive line depth beyond sixth-man John Wetzel. So Tuesday, he made a big move to settle such feelings by getting veteran guard Alex Boone on one of those patented one-year contracts he has worked so well. That doesn’t mean Boone will definitely pay off. While many of these deals have worked out (Winston, Cromartie, Freeney, Dansby-in-2013-and-maybe-2017), some haven’t. Sean Weatherspoon didn’t. Evan Mathis — the veteran guard added last year — didn’t.

But unlike Mathis, who was signed to be the starter and when he broke down it was trouble, Boone shows up with the offensive line already set. Is Evan Boehm proven at right guard? No. But he has been there all offseason and all training camp and preseason and I can’t see the Cards making a dramatic move three days before the opener. (Mike Iupati, on the left side, did practice Monday so it looks like he will be ready for the Lions Sunday.)

If Boehm struggles, though, Boone is there to step in if needed. The Vikings were going to keep him had he taken a paycut. He didn’t so they cut him. But it’s not as if they were going to cut him outright. We’ll see what Boone got from the Cards, but Keim usually gets guys at this point at the price he wants. Boone knows the Cards well, having played against them for many years with the 49ers (and even last year while with the Vikings.) He had many a battle with Calais Campbell. Who knows, maybe he’ll battle Campbell again when the Jaguars come to town.

In the meantime, the Cards have shored up the offensive line, with Keim wanting to make sure if there are more OL injuries —  like 2016 — the Cardinals are in the best position to weather such a storm.

Tags: , , , ,

55 Responses to “Starter or not, Boone addition helps”

1. By D on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

6’8 310lbs-about the size of Veldheer. He is still a good pass protection Guard. Good to have when going against that Seattle DLine twice a year when AZ may need to add more size to their OLine.

2. By LadyBird04 on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

I’m more concerned about Iupati having an issue than Boehm. He was struggling with injury last year and now again with the arm. Can Boone work the left side or is he only a RG?

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

LadyBird —

RE: Boone

I believe he’s mainly been a right guard but I’m sure he could play the other side if needed.

4. By Marlin on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

terrific signing

5. By Tucson Card on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

Cool. Glad Keim is focused on building/backfilling the o line. That’s where a good team starts. We’ll see if this dude pans out.

6. By joe holst on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

Hey Darren, how do you feel about a nickname like Keim Time has? 2 suggestions, Staring Darren or Darren Urban renewal.

7. By Arch Stanton on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

Start or not? Ofcourse he should start. Get Humphries out of there.

8. By Marlin on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

Boone has played both guard positions. Actually, I think he played left guard about a 3rd of the time at the NFL level.

9. By Coach K on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

Boone is a good signing.

However, cutting CJ2K continues to be Keim’s biggest blunder thus far.

10. By krehbieo14 on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

Solid pickup. May need him to start if Iupati struggles.

11. By Ralph S on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

Cutting CJ lost-a-step, hurt, but the cards kept the 4 best RBs.

12. By CARDS62 on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

Well we signed a Buckeye interior lineman, but not Nick Mangold so hopefully we will sign two Buckeyes.

Do the Vikings have to pay most of Boone’s salary this year?

Hopefully Boone is better than what we have and can start for us or there is really no need to get excited about a backup. I think he is better and will be surprised if he does not start.

I do give Keim credit for continuing to try and develop us a great offensive line.

Go Cards and go away hurricane Irma!

13. By Darren Urban on Sep 5, 2017 | Reply

Cards62 —

RE: Boone salary

I don’t believe his salary was guaranteed. Doesn’t matter — Cards pay him only whatever they agreed to pay him. Vikings deal has no impact on it.

14. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Here’s hoping that Boone will be the solid addition that Evan Mathis was not. I had high hopes for Mathis, think he WOULD have been a great addition if he’d been able to stay healthy.

Hey, I don’t care if he starts or not. He is here, I’m glad he is here, and he is going to help us out, I’m sure.

15. By THor on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

People….the Vikings had one of the worst offensive lines last year- if not THE worst. Boone was a starter on that line.

This year he couldnt even make it on a STILL horrible offensive line and was cut.

Good luck with that.

16. By Joe C. on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Darren, Was Boone a projected starter for the Vikings when they released him? Is he seen as a starter around the league? mathis was well regarded but clearly at the end of his physical string. I think it was acknowledged when they signed mathis it was his last season and I don’t think it was too shocking he was injured. Is Boone closer to the Iupati signing or Mathis? I guess the bottom line is should we expect him to start before the year’s over unless Boehm is really good?

17. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Joe C —

RE: Boone

I wouldn’t call it the Iupati or the Mathis signing because in both those cases, those guys were signed to start. Could Boone start? Yes. Will he? I don’t see it happening right now. This is a bonus add, IMO. Arians will talk about it later today.

18. By cactus jeff on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

You are mistaken, Boone will start. Now what to do with Shipley, the division III sized center. I know the thought was Iupati covering for him but Iupati is broke. He is playing with half an arm. They need a center or Palmer will get killed. Shipley is not a NFL player just like Cooper and Minter. Ahh Darren the eyes don’t lie.

19. By Chris G. on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

I think this is a great signing. With Boone in the room it adds more veteran knowledge for our younger guys to soak up. It also brings the team’s average age up some more which is good in case we were worried about another team beating us in the “oldest roster” contest.

20. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Not at all related, but….man, how screwed up is the NFL these days? Let me count the ways. I’m seeing where the ruling came down today that Zeke Elliots’s 6-game suspension was up-held BUT he is actually going to play in Week 1. What the hell?? First, how un-happy are Giants fans about THAT???

But one wonders….is he being allowed to play in Week One because it’s a Sunday Night prime-time game? Really, NFL? Thinking about our ratings, are we?

Good lord, what a joke. Roger Goodell, you are one despicable human being.

21. By JTDG on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Interesting article on Lions page about Fitz;

There is a good chance that Darius Slay will find himself matched up with 14-year NFL veteran receiver Larry Fitzgerald at some point Sunday when the Lions kick off the regular season against the Arizona Cardinals.

Not only is Fitzgerald one of the best receivers to ever play the game (10 Pro Bowls), but Slay says Fitzgerald is also one of the nicest.

“The only thing he’s going to do is make me better,” Slay said. “For people that don’t know, he kind of corrects you if you’re wrong about something out there on defense. That’s how nice a guy he is.”

Slay said it’s always about friendly competition when going up against Fitzgerald.

“I remember one time we was in a coverage and he just knew – I’m not going to tell what coverage we were in – but we were in a coverage and he told me why he got me and how he knew what it was.

“He caught it and got up and was like, ‘Hey, Slay, this is what you did.’”

Darren, you ever hear of this?

22. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Fitz

Can’t say that I have.

23. By clssylssy on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Happy to get some insurance for the 0-line, but, Boone was considered a costly mistake in Minnesota which is why we have him now on the cheap. Sometimes a change of scenery helps and hopefully that will prove the case with Boone. Whaat blows my mind is how Keim, a former lineman, hasn’t been able to make our 0-line more of a priority and why we have so many question marks along the 0-line every year.
    Scott, can you even remember a time that the NFL didn’t start their season without some sort of legal drama? Don’t fret too much, the Giants are sueing the league and Elliott won’t be playing when the Cards have to open their home season against the Cowboys….Geez, As the Stomach Turns!
    Also, there was an interesting item on the news the other night about how the Cards will be the most expensive team to support this season (includes, tickets, consession, travel away, etc), which makes one wonder a lot about how the NFL operates, considering we’ve never really won much of anything. I guess fans are paying for the new Champagne Bubble lounge or,,,how would you justify this Darren?

24. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2017 | Reply

Clssylssy –

RE: Cost

First of all, who said this? Second, if you are including travel — this team has multiple road trips East, plus a jaunt to London. I’ve never seen any listing of the cost to follow a team include road games. That makes no sense.

25. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Also not related….but a thought just jumped into my head. Reading the piece about Bethel elsewhere on the site, I am reminded that when his contract was adjusted, it not only reduced his salary BUT it allows him to become a FA after this year. Hmmm…

See where this is going?

Wouldn’t that just be our luck – that Bethel WILL prove to be a solid CB this year and then he’ll be out the door as a FA when it is over?? I swear, I can see it happening.

And guess where we’ll be again next off-season? Right back to needing a CB to start opposite Peterson!

26. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Fitz

Though it seems it will never happen, couldn’t you see Fitz being a fantastic coach after his career?? I could.

I remember that after Fitz had only been in the NFL for a couple of years, he was already being described by scouts as being both skilled AND smart enough to “set up” the best DB’s in the game.

Granted, I guess no one can ever really coach greatness but with what he knows / understands about playing the WR position in the NFL, he could teach both other WR’s AND defensive backs SOOOO much that could make them better players.

27. By JTDG on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

Whether you agree or not (as I am skeptical), I think the plan is, Bethel holds down CB2 this year, and then B. Williams has two years under his belt and takes over in 2018.

When you see a draft, look where there are Vets about to get paid or have big contracts.

Dansby is a one year fix, thus Reddick. Campbell was coming up, thus the draft of Nkemdichi. Branch is up and Bethea is a stop gap, so you draft Baker so 2018 is Badger and Baker at safety.

I think where you have problems is when you miss or it doesn’t turn out right. The cards drafted two guys to take over center in Boehm and Toner, yet neither won the job. Dorian Johnson could have allowed the cards to move on from Iupati, but he is on the practice squad. Veldheer was bumped out of the LT spot for lower paid DJ Humphries, but the lack of a RT has forced the cards to keep that 10 million dollar salary. Maybe Holden takes the spot next year.

I think, when you saw Brandon Williams drafted, the thought was, he would take over in a couple of years. He should have never played at the beginning of the season last year. A signing of a solid vet for a couple years would then be replaced by Williams in 2018. Problem has been finding that solid vet. They traded for Cooper but let him walk and now they are seeing if Bethel can hold on to the spot.

Bethel will not be a cardinal in 2018. If Bethel does well, especially since he is opposite Peterson, he will get paid in the open market more than Keim will be willing to pay. If he does poorly, why do you want him? This is his last year as a card.

28. By Adam L on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

– LadyBird04

First game he ever played in was at LT against the CARDS!!!

Boone had 873 snaps at LG last year as a Viking
    Also played LG the year Iupati was signed here.
    While in San Fran with Iupati played mostly RG, where Boehm happens to play.
    So, he’s had starts at LT,LG, and RG in the NFL.

29. By JTDG on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

Coaches are there all the time. They work harder than players in many cases. I think Fitz will be off traveling. Maybe be like Dhani Jones who did a travel show. Who knows ?

But coach? I’m not sure about that one.

30. By Darren Urban on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Fitz coaching

I am sure. It. Will. Never. Happen.

31. By JTDG on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Ha, you sure? Can’t you see Fitz tackling the opposing coach on the sideline in a sneak attack before the game?

32. By Joe C. on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Veldheer, Iupati, Mathis, Winston FA. Cooper and Humphries in the first round. Hard to say Kiem hasn’t made the 0-line a priority.

33. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Never

Doesn’t Fitz have a son? So….if Fitz’ son decided that football is going to be his thing…..you don’t think Fitz could be tempted to jump in? As a general principal, I think it is hard for dads to stay away when their sons get into sports.

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Fitz

Fitz actually has two sons.

But I have know Fitz his whole pro career. While I wouldn’t say we are close, I have had many, many discussions with him. He will not be coaching. He won’t.

35. By Scott H on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

Sadly, I think you are probably right about Bethel not being here next year. And it IS kinda sad either way, whether he just turns out to not be a very good CB ( ENTIRELY possible, BTW. Yeah, I understand BA and PP talking him up now. I mean, what are we really expecting them to say?? Fact is, we don’t really know anything based on how he’s looked in practice. And we know what Allen Iverson had to say about that! 🙂 ) OR his moving on if he is. Think about that….what does that say about our faith in the organization? It says that we think they would rather play it cheap and fall back on Brandon Williams ( hey, how’ bout that – another question mark ) than pay to keep a player that has shown he can play. Kinda like how it went with Marcus Cooper.

So….this time next year, Justin Bethel will be the new Marcus Cooper and Brandon Williams will be the new Justin Bethel. Not sure who the next Brandon Williams will be…..

But I’ll tell ya this – Brandon Williams needs to have more than just two years under his belt for me to be buying into him. He will need to have shown at some point THIS season that he can play. Either because Bethel got hurt or because Bethel just didn’t get it done, Williams will have to shown us something THIS year. Because going into 2018 with Brandon Williams as a total question mark, yet somehow the odds-on favorite to be our next starting CB…..no. Not another off-season of that. Ugh.

No, I’m not condemning the organization. They certainly have done right by many other players, keeping them here. But….there are tendencies that concern me. Anyway…..

But think about this – and this is very specific to you and I, after all our ranting and raving about Bethel and the handling of the CB position this off-season – how CRAZY will it be if come this time next year, we are ranting and raving because Bethel DID turn out to be a solid player and we ARE up in arms because they let him get away???? Can ya imagine?? Darren would probably dis-own both of us!

36. By clssylssy on Sep 6, 2017 | Reply

I could see Fitz in politics before I could see him coaching (unless it was his son’s Pop Warner team) I think when he retires he will be on to different things. He already has a travel agency that specializes in exotic immersion experience type vacations, and he was ranked #1Most Well Liked player in the NFL by Epollresearch, so he knows his way around the planet as well as earn the respect of his colleagues and the masses. Our country could use someone like him right now who is intelligent, respectful, has integrity and is kind. I mean, crazier things have happened!

37. By Scott H on Sep 7, 2017 | Reply

THor –

RE: Vikes had one of the worst O-lines last season and Boone was a starter on that line

OK. Noted. But units playing badly doesn’t mean every player played poorly, does it? I mean, if the Cardinals had one of the worst secondaries in the NFL this year, does that mean you wouldn’t want Patrick Peterson on your team next year??

Boone has tended to be a solid player. We’ll see what he has left. As players you have a chance to grab after roster cuts are made go, I’ll give Alex Boone a shot any day. There is nothing to lose here but potentially something very valuable to gain.

38. By Scott H on Sep 7, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Fitz will not coach

Noted. Got it.

So, OK, coaching isn’t gonna happen for him. I guess I would just find it…..sad to see Fitz gone for good after he is done playing. I mean….I look at guys like Warner stopping by and a guy like Torry Holt making an appearance like he did this off-season ( not anything official, just helping out ) and I would just hope we might see Fitz do THAT once in a while. Never mind coaching. I’d just like to see him make an appearance once in awhile, ya know?

No? You don’t see that, either?

39. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Fitz

Right now, I doubt it. Maybe his mind changes once he’s away. But don’t forget, if he has his way — and I don’t know why he wouldn’t — there will be no farewell presser. I’m expecting the goodbye letter in the Players Tribune. He’ll be around here and there because he’ll still go to a Suns game or a golf tournament, but otherwise, I think he’ll ghost. At least for a while.

40. By JTDG on Sep 7, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

Last year, I believed Brandon Williams shouldn’t even be on the practice squad. He was so bad with the ball in the air and locating and making a play on the ball, I thought there was no hope for him. I mean he was just plain bad,

Obviously, I am not in practice, so I can’t speak to that, but I think he and Nkemdiche have made huge jumps between year one and two.
    I am skeptical either should start at this point, but you want to see a jump between year one and two. And they both showed great improvement.

For me, as crazy as this sounds, I have more faith in B. Williams making the jump in 2018 than Bethel in year six (2017) .

I really want to see a lot of B Williams the second half of the season to see if he was just having a decent preseason against receivers who won’t be in the league or if he has actually made that turn around.

Man, just think, if we had signed a Casey Hayward to a 3 year deal at 5 million a year, as the Chargers did, you would have had a pro bowler last year and have confidence this year at CB2 and everyone could be behind the growth of Williams. Huge, huge mistake by Keim, imo.

41. By JTDG on Sep 7, 2017 | Reply

As for the additions;

Andy Lee was a weapon and one of the best punters in the league. I don’t follow punters, so I am not sure why there was the recent bounce around. But I think it is safe to say, he is a huge upgrade and a vet you can have confidence in.

With Phil Dawson, our special teams just got a lot better.

Now for Boone. The reason the cards lost to the niners in the years of Harbaugh was simple. The niners were more physical. Part of that was having Mike Iupati and Alex Boone. Boone has been known as a guy who plays with a mean streak, a nasty guard who plays to the whistle. His skill level might not be the best, but he makes up for it playing hard and punishing guys.

Not sure how much Iupati or Boone have left, but if it was me, I would grab Nick Mangold and have 3 big nasty physical guys inside who love to drive block. Then get DJ in behind them and run the ball. As soon as those safeties come up, play action and hit JB deep.

42. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 7, 2017 | Reply

I assume CJ2K still wants to play and I hope he does. I would like to see him get 10,000 yards rushing. Fitz will not coach, at least not beyond pop warner football. But what about CJ2K? He certainly knows all aspects of the running back position and seems to have been a positive presence in the locker room. Maybe he comes back one day as part of our coaching staff.

43. By shooter28 on Sep 7, 2017 | Reply

Clssylssy, obviously nothing this team ever does makes you happy so why do u even follow the Cardinals?? Everytime you post about the Cardinals all u can seem to do is run your mouth about the team, you seem more like a troll than a fan.

Your knowledge of Boone is bordering on ignorance , so let me help you out. Boone was not considered a costly mistake in MIN, when he was signed MIN ran Norv Tuners offense which relies on OG’s who excel in a POWER Scheme, which Boone does. Mid way thru last year they fired Turner and switched to Schumur’s zone offense, at 6″8/320+ pos Boone does not have the agility to play in a zone offense. They are running a zone offense again this year, they asked him to take a pay cut, he said no and they moved on.
    Despite all of that and playing in an offense he wasnt built for, Boone still graded out as an Above AVG Pass-Protector and average run blocker. In Arians offense that utilize’s power guards, he will be very good.

Keim has built a very good line in Arizona. Last season they lost 3 of 5 starters which is why they had problems, as long as everyone stays healthy they shouldn’t give up more than 25-27 sacks, they gave up just 27 last year. Most of the league is dealing with O-Line issues and depth issues, only 5-7 or so teams have excellent top tier offensive lines, Arizona’s starting line is well above the league average.

44. By JTDG on Sep 7, 2017 | Reply

You don’t know who said that? Of Course it was ClssyLssy above.

That wasn’t from shooter28. I think they were calling out clssylssy.

45. By Darren Urban on Sep 7, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Who said

My bad. Reposting someone else’s comment throws me off everytime. I wish people wouldn’t do it that way.

I’ll adjust it.

46. By clssylssy on Sep 8, 2017 | Reply

Darren:
    You asked who said that? I asked the question, which came from a bit on the late news earliers in the week and then again appeared in an article written by a guy by the name of Seth Pines, who must be a stringer for ABC News:http://www.abc15.com/news/region-west-valley/glendale/report-arizona-cardinals-will-be-the-most-expensive-nfl-team-to-support-in-2017
    And, I still don’t get how it should cost Cards fans more to support their team than any other, (twice as much as the Steelers) even if you factor in our trip to Europe–we aren’t the only team playing in the International Series and, to me, it seems a little fishy. So, I guess I’m being “called out” for questioning something that Channel 15 News made a story out of? OK, LOL..guess I can consider myself “called out”. I had actually expected you or Kyle to do something in the way of a story to clarify any misconceptions created by this story/post from ABC.
    Shooter:
    Really a troll? I’ve never really understood the thinking of calling other fans names who don’t share you views, and the idea that anyone would actually waste their time on sites they don’t support, is beyond reason to me: I’ve got other things to do with my time. I’ve been a paying supporter of this team for over twenty years and did my time, at Sun Devil stadium back when this team was so far under the radar by NFL standards, many people didn’t even realize Phoenix had a professional team until Jake Plummer became the QBand we made the playoffs in ’98, then more dry years. . But, while I support the Cards, I am a football fan first and love the game and the players first, So, yes, I do appreciate a well played game irregardless of who is playing but, I know a lot of other Cardinal fans (and players) who feel the same way. Good teams aren’t so fragile that they can’t withstand criticism –I grew up in a Chiefs house and real, long-standing Chiefs fans are the most critical and tough fans you’ll find; they’ll argue and dissect the team internally but show up and are one of the strongest fan bases in the NFL. So, I guess I’m just use to a more open and objective discussion.
    Re: Alex Boone. I really don’t get why you are all in a twist over my comment. I said, I thought he was good insurance. However, the Vikings had signed him to a $27M/4 years contract for which he didn’t pan out, bc he couldn’t adjust to a change to a more athletic offensive scheme and they were left on the hook both for real money and dead money. Most Viking fans consider that a costly mistake and I have heard chapter and verse about it from friends who are season ticket holders. Actually, by Cardinal standards, I think we would have some unhappy fans who would also consider that a costly mistake. We certainly .should be able to relate b/c we’ve had our share of financial “miscues” throughout the years. I do like that Boone is a physical player and has played with Iupati and Gabbard …he had his best years with Harbaugh, but, was I surprised at the signing? Yeah, a little since he’s had off field issues in the past and has been kinda of a “me-first” kind of guy, IMO (holding out on your team is not something I’m OK with but whatever). As I said, sometimes guys just need a change of scenery and hopefully he will be “that guy” we need to give depth and fortify our 0-line. Seriously though, when have the Cards ever had a top 0-line? Protecting the QB has been an ongoing concern since as long as I can remember, but I would be happy to stand corrected.
    I desperately want the Cards to win that Lombardi, but along with other longtime fans get extremely frustrated …nonetheless, we’re still here and we’re still here.

47. By Darren Urban on Sep 8, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Cheap/expensive

First of all, I had not seen that report. Second, it is by a travel company, so they are going to add up the cost of traveling to EVERY road game. So the Cards go from Arizona to London, Philly, Washington, Indy, Detroit, SF, Seattle and Houston. Not exactly around the corner.

Meanwhile, those Steelers that are so cheap? The go to Cleveland, Chicago, Baltimore, KC, Detroit, Cincy, Indy and Houston. A fan can drive to, what, five of those? (Which the story acknowledges is taken into account.) It’s going to be a lot cheaper to drive places.

But if that bothers you, so be it.

48. By Bryan on Sep 8, 2017 | Reply

RE- Cost

I saw an article about the cost of following teams on bleacher report…

Not sure about the validity of it though.

49. By Joe C. on Sep 8, 2017 | Reply

Classy, when one asks for feed back one often receives negative comments. You seem to be providing feedback to the team on their roster moves! However you are not alone in having a negative bias in your comments. After last nights KC/NE game I think we all know this preseason speculation goes out the window at kick off. Even KC losing Berry could make them a different team then we saw last night. I think the cards are very well constructed for the long haul. Obviously certain players are not replaceable (PP). Your opinions are valid but you do seem to take the opportunity to point out potential weaknesses. I know people don’t like when i point out future salary cap implications but Keims job is to keep a contender on the field now AND in the future. You can’t have all pros at every position and as back ups. I’m betting Seattle’s o-line sinks them. If we improve as the season goes on and avoid injury I like our SB chances. Much less than New England’s, but after last night maybe not.

50. By clssylssy on Sep 8, 2017 | Reply

Darren….
    OK, I get that travel costs, I’ve done some myself ,but, the fact that Channel 15 News made a story out of this was kinda surprising, except as they say “there’s no such thing as bad press” as it does catch one’s attention.–whatever, we made the news! It just seemed kinda unbelieveable that of 32 teams the Cards would lead in “Costs to Support Ther Team”. The Rams, for instance are in the same situation as the Cards as far as schedule & travel, are building a new stadium, so I guess are getting a price break for their temporary digs? Just saying…seems strange?
    Joe..
    I don’t think I am the only one talking about roster moves. Mitchaz does indepth analyses, as well as JTDG, Scott H, Georgiebird, Creditcard, and numerous others- speak out regularly–it’s called having an exchange of ideas or dialogue about a subject we feel passionate about and makes this site more real (IMO). People who don’t care, don’t bother. And, for the record, not all of my views are negative, if I point out weaknesses, usually somebody else is saying pretty much the same thing. As for the Cap, I think it’s hard for most fans to look down the road too far bc most of us have been waiting so long to win a SB and it’s kinda like being constantly put off with empty promises.
    Wow, and what an upset that was against New England! Almost took the Chiefs b/c I knew they were talented, and also knowing that we beat the Patriots in Foxboro, and it’s totally doable… but first game of the season, who really knows. The thing about teams like New England is their ability to rebuild and come back which is also the way Seattle has become. Hopefully, this years Cards will be fueled by last year’s adversity.
    Good, bad, or ugly, football is finally back, and for that we can all celebrate!

51. By Scott H on Sep 8, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

Go on, girl. Way to stand up for yourself. I don’t always agree with you, but one thing I never lose sight of – your committment as a long time fan and someone who wouldn’t be here on this blog having ALL of the opinions you have if you didn’t care.

I get it. Been on board with this team since I was 8 years old. And I turn 52 in a month. And like yourself, I’m realizing that the years are going by and I still don’t know how it feels for my team to win a SB. Dammit, I want to KNOW what that feels like! And, yeah, maybe that makes me a little prone to being emotional and over-reacting sometimes, but……that is what FANS do. We ARE emotional and we DO over-react. If we weren’t and we didn’t, what would the point be???

Anyway, I was glad to see you stand up for yourself there.

52. By Joe Cardea on Sep 9, 2017 | Reply

Classy, I hope we’re good. I said you were not alone! Every team has weaknesses. It takes a while to build a roster from top to bottom which is why you need a three to five year cap plan.

53. By clssylssy on Sep 11, 2017 | Reply

Scott & Joe…
    Thanks guys for the kind words, of course we’re good. Opinions vary but we are all here for the same reason and I always look forward to hearing different perspectives. As I’ve said before, a good team can hold up under criticism and, IMO, the exchange of differing views is beneficial and makes for a stronger fan base. This isn’t junior high, we are intelligent people.able to exhange ideas in a mature and civilized manner.
    Hopefully, we will learn from our mistakes and grow stronger from adversity.

2. Sep 6, 2017: Starter or not, Boone addition helps – viralinusa
  3. Sep 8, 2017: Cardinals Agree To Terms With Alex Boone – Latest NFL News Online