Nkemdiche sitting out the opener

Posted by Darren Urban on September 10, 2017 – 8:29 am

It’s not a surprise at this point, but defensive lineman Robert Nkemdiche will not play in the opener today against the Lions because of his calf injury. He and $LB Deone Bucannon (ankle) are the two inactives due to injury. The others are all healthy scratches. Guard Mike Iupati is starting coming off the triceps injury.

Newcomer Scooby Wright will be inactive after being promoted Friday — as has been noted, veteran LB Philip Wheeler was released for Wright but that may have more to do with Wheeler’s veteran status. Any veteran on the Week 1 roster has his salary guaranteed for the season, so this way, the Cards could bring back Wheeler if they want and they would keep flexibility down the road with his spot.

The full inactive list:

— DL Robert Nkemdiche (calf)

— G Will Holden

— T Ulrick John

— LB Scooby Wright

— WR Chad Williams

— QB Blaine Gabbert

— $LB Deone Bucannon (ankle)

Tags: , , ,

23 Responses to “Nkemdiche sitting out the opener”

1. By sbrown on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

really no surprises on the inactive list today.

2. By Kevin Powell on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Well with that being said I really hope our defensive line holds up this seems to be our weakness on the team. I sure hope they surprise us. Go CARDINALS

3. By CARDS62 on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Hate the inactive list. If you make the team let all the players dress.

Really hoping for Robert N. to play today. I am worried about our D Line, run defense and of course CBs #2 and # 3.

Agree with another fan from an earlier post that Kareem Martin will have a good year this year. I hope to see all 3 of our outside linebackers, Martin, Golden, and Jones on the field during passing situations.

Our rookie H.Reddick worries me as he seemed to be out of position a lot in the preseason. Hopefully he will do better or not get many snaps this game.

On offense I think Carson and our receivers will get off to a better start this year, and I do hope our OC was sending a smoke screen and that we do actually throw the ball more to our TEs and running backs this game compared to last couple of years. Looking for both of the Browns to have good games.

On the O line I will watch our 3 guys on the interior and hope for the best. Worried about Mike U. the most right now. I hope our coaches will also watch him closely and put Wetzel or Boone in if Mike U. or others are not playing well.

First games are always so hard to call especially on the road, but I think we get Detriot today 30-20.

Hurricane Irma will hold off hitting Jax area until tonight so lucky for me we have the early game and I should keep power for the game.

Go Cards!

4. By creditcard on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Almost half time, the Cards offense is as sharp and powerful as a marshmallow.

I mentioned the over-all lack of practice for certain players will haunt the Cards — it is.

I know the sports med stuff about Carson Palmer resting his arm, but there is still the need of having to play quick and sharp.

5. By creditcard on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

The old pro who never misses a routine field goal — missed the stupid field goal. 1st and goal, the Cards were completely unable to do anything.

6. By creditcard on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Lions hit a 58-yd field goal, we miss a 32-yard attempt.

1st half was forgettable, and pathetic. .

7. By creditcard on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Clock management at the end of the 1st half was pathetic. 1st and goal at the 9-yard line with 59-seconds. Three quick plays and a missed field goal, the Lions then had the ball back at the 22 with 46-seconds and three time outs left.

The clock management cost the Cards 3-points, the poor play calling cost the Crds 7-points. A 10-point turn around. If the Cards lose by less than 10-points, the coaches should reflect on their 13-second brain lapse.

8. By creditcard on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

David Johnson looks sharp, 11 carries for 28-yds and 1 fumble that led to a Lions TD. I guess all that non-practice is paying off.

9. By Coach K on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Bottom line. WE SUCK.

10. By faster on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

johnson injuried,
    palmer out of sync,
    a missed field goal,
    it can only get better,
    next bloody sunday

11. By Coach K on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

4 minutes left in game, and we look like a high school team. Offensive line can’t run block. Palmer is off. Not ready for this game. Zero pressure from defensive line. Just a complete mess.

12. By creditcard on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Cards defense is totally gassed. Losing 21-17 looks bleak. that quickly morphed to 35-17. Cards Offense has scored only 10-points. They look lost and confused to the powerful Lions defense (sarcasm)

Couple observations:

1. Can’t run block
    2. Can’t pass block
    3. The Lions D-line is totally manhandling the Cards O-line
    4. Team has a bunch of older players

Its over, both the game and season.

Play Gabbert and younger “potential” players the rest of the year. Hire extra scouts, do a better job in scouting college players, dump older expensive players.

Arians and staff will probably quit — it will be an uncomfortable season for players, management, coaches, fans.

Shoot for a top 5-pick.

13. By TucsonTim on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

How did Keim and BA improve the O-line in the off season….oh yeah, they flip flopped tackles…brilliant.

14. By Lynn on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Based on today our regular season will look a lot like the pre-season, Loss-Win-Loss-Win-Loss, etc. Our O line is not only our Achilles heel, but foot, ankle, calf, thigh, you get the picture, they’re awful. The road graders have flat tires. Right now praying for last years record. Gabbert should at least be active.

15. By creditcard on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

When I think of a stellar defensive line, the Lions are not one of the teams that comes to mind. In the division, 49ers have an improving D-line, Seattle’s D-line is good, and the Ram’s D-line is great. Unless the Cards can fix their O-line (for the umpteenth time), the Cards will lose both games to the Hawks and Rams. Plus, they’ll have little chance against the Texans, Eagles, Bucs, Jags. All of those teams have good D-lines.

16. By creditcard on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Jags had 10-sacks (Calais Campbell had four sacks)

17. By CARDS62 on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Another year and the same old thing. Detroit really tried their best to give this game to us, but our $ 20 million QB and rest of our offense just kept giving it back in the first half and in the second half our pass defense said what the heck let me also play poorly. What a horrible start to the season. Just bad in all areas and worse part is we just look like a soft team.

Great posts credit card.

C. Campbell had 3 1/2 sacks in the first half

18. By Richard S on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Too much looking for Fitzgerald. We have other receivers that can catch the ball. Maybe Keim could see if Fran Tarkenton is still available and can still scramble in the pocket to get more time to find an open receiver.

19. By Scott H on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Carson Palmer has a lot of nerve saying next Sunday can’t come fast enough. Yeah, Carson, I know what ya mean. And I agree with you.

Unfortunately, YOU and the way YOU played today are the reason why we’re all feeling that way.

His first INT was a total WTF throw. I have NO idea who he was throwing to on that play. Well, let me clarify, I have no idea what CARDINALS player he was throwing to. The second one was no better. Just a horribly over-thrown pass. And the 3rd, while maybe not ALL on him, was still not a good throw. If Ellington doesn’t have to reach back behind his head to catch it…..maybe it doesn’t get tipped.

It’s one game, but…..frankly,, it was one game that gave the impression this is not a team anyone needs to take seriously right now.

And I’m not blaming any of today on injuries. They just didn’t play well. Period.

20. By Dan on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Can we trade this guy for a 7th round draft pick?

21. By Dan on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

I like Palmer but I’m done with him……I would rather start our 3rd stringer…….Palmer is a sitting duck, about as mobile as one of my turds after eating a 1lb block of sharp chedder.

22. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Did not see the game and don’t want to. Hard to believe, right now, that we can improve upon last year’s record. And last year sucked. Considering how much time Palmer devotes to preparation (physically and mentally) he plays pretty dumb sometimes. Apparently, like he did today.

23. By CARDS62 on Sep 10, 2017 | Reply

Scott you are correct as the pass to Ellington was behind him and it was just a simple little dump off pass. Carson threw another horrible pass and really should have had 4 interceptions, and David Johnson fumbled twice on limited carries.

With all the injuries in week 1 I think I would play my starters a little more in the preseason.

I was surprised and happy that Reddick played so well.

O line did not have a good game, but I put this loss on Carson.