David Johnson’s Christmas return?

Posted by Darren Urban on September 12, 2017 – 5:51 pm

David Johnson went on injured reserve today. Teams can bring back two players total from IR in a season. They don’t have to be designated ahead of time. Johnson is an obvious candidate, and with an 8-to-12-week wrist injury and the need to stay on IR at least eight weeks before being eligible to return, that means the earliest, best-case scenario for Johnson would be a comeback on Tuesday, Nov. 7. That happens to be the week the Cards host the Seahawks on Thursday night, Nov. 9. It was always unlikely Johnson would make that initial date.

But Tuesday night, during his weekly interview on Sirius XM NFL radio, Arians said it could be much later.

“Hopefully, as miraculous as he came back from that knee injury last year, I’m hoping we can possibly get him back by Thanksgiving or Christmas,” Arians said.

That’s a show stopper.

Thanksgiving is one thing. But the Cardinals play the next-to-last game of the regular season on Christmas Eve, at home against the Giants. Even if we don’t get technical on Arians and assume he means Christmas week, that would only leave two regular-season games he could play. If not, it’s one game, the finale at Seattle. That would seem to make an assumption the Cardinals are in or have a chance to be in the postseason. Because bringing Johnson back for at most two games doesn’t make a lot of sense.

It would put also Johnson’s timetable to return at 14 weeks (Thanksgiving would be 10 weeks), which is on the far other side of 8-to-12 weeks. And it shows just how serious this injury is to the all-pro running back.

Tags:

61 Responses to “David Johnson’s Christmas return?”

1. By Coach K on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

David will be back by Christmas because I believe we will have 9 wins with two games remaining at year end.

Call me crazy, but I have this feeling

I think Palmer, Fitz, CJ2K, Gresham and other vets come together and
    make this year the year of the “against all odds” story.

2. By kauaicardsfan on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

Aloha Darren,
    Now point is mute but I watched the play and could not see him land awkwardly on it, was it the hit that dislocated his wrist or was it the previous play when he got the wind knocked out of him ?
    Just curious how it happened and how or what can be done to prevent that type of injury cause TJ got the same type of injury? Kind of weird?
    Mahalo

3. By Darren Urban on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

Kauai —

RE: Hit

When Johnson went down after the catch, he did not have the wind knocked out of him. He was in pain because of the wrist. It looked like it was the wind knocked out of him because a) Arians said after the game Johnson was hurt on the fumble play and b) a trainer lifted up Johnson’s jersey after the catch. I think that was done just to allow him to breath. But head athletic trainer Tom Reed was clearly testing Johnson’s left wrist — asking him to squeeze — after the play.

He took a shot from a helmet on his wrist. Bad bad luck.

4. By creditcard on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

We now have two players on IR list (David Johnson and TJ Logan, although the roster also shows Fau and Zamort). What happens when another player hits the IR list? Somehow I thought a team can only keep two players on IR or bring only two players back from IR in a season. What are the rules regarding IR?

5. By Darren Urban on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

credit —

RE: IR

You can have as many guys on IR as you want. You can only bring two back from IR. Everyone else is stuck there for the duration of the season.

6. By creditcard on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

I see lots of posts of what the Cards can do next without David Johnson, and that the injury is worse than expected. Little is being spoken about David Johnson, and the mental anguish he must be going through.

I’m sure David Johnson is heartbroken. He gave all appearance in being a positive influence for the team, league, and community. My heart goes out to this bright youngman — I hope he gets well and bounces back better than ever.

7. By michael on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

Since you asked, yes, i’ll call you crazy. I wish I shared your optimism, but this is still a team with a bad offensive line, only one real CB, and no plan at qb after an already shaky 38 year old at the helm. There’s an exciting young core, bit a lot of old vets. A tough year let’s us draft qb of the future while freeing up tons of cap space (palmer, fitz) to go out a sign OL and CB help and continue to draft. We’ll be a conternder again in2019

8. By Davemaham on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

Didn’t Arians say by Christmas? To me it sounds like having Johnson available by Christmas means, at the latest. Assuming he starts practicing in twelve weeks it would make sense he would play the last two games and playoffs.

9. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

Devastating. We’re going to learn a lot about the heart and soul of this team the next couple of months.

10. By faster on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

9 wins with two games remaining at year end? in my optimistic view i came to the same number, but, there has to be a lot of change how the team plays.

11. By cardcor on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

Maybe Arians said that because the question irked him and he’s not a Doctor.
    You can’t act like whatever comes out of BA’s mouth should be chiseled in stone.

12. By Darren Urban on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

cardcor —

RE: BA

He’s the coach. What he says means something. Doesn’t mean it’ll be right, but it’s news if he says it.

13. By DZ on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

It won’t matter who your handing it off to if the O Line doesn’t get it together. Play calling too..
    Same on the D Line. 3rd round rookie WR’s will beat you all day long if you can’t get to the QB and make him fear you.

14. By CARDS62 on Sep 12, 2017 | Reply

I hope you are right Coach K. We really need Palmer to get on a roll.

I know the Colts are bad this year, but it will be their home opener, and their coach is fighting for his job. Hopefully Carson and the Oline can bounce back and play well. I will key on Carson this game and just hope he plays well.

I know the Colts, but we need Carson to have some confidence for when the Cowboys come to town. There are no automatic wins in the NFL, but fans I looked at our schedule again and as schedules go it is really a great schedule for making the playoffs.

Darren and others. Do you know anything about Nick Mangold and his foot injury?Several teams have needs on the interior line. Is any teams talking to Mangold and if not why not?

Darren do you give any chance to Alex Boone playing this week if no linemen are injured?

DJ and DJ sorry you both were injured and we all wish you the best as you recover. Really worry about David Johnson and TJ as I have no idea how you can work out your upper body if you have an injured wrist.

GO Cards lets bounce back and beat the Colts!

15. By AJ on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Why bring him back? If they go 0-16 we might finally get a QB.

16. By shannon robinson on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Our job now is to get us to Thanksgiving with the Division title still in our hands – this makes David’s work in rehab and preparation meaningful. That’s our deal equalamente between David and the team. Bruce has the ‘new 53’ in the room with him now and so he gives the Alamo Speech and guys strap it on to win the next two. The Cavalry ain’t coming – it’s up to you. Otis Anderson Fan is right – now it’s more about who your Grandfather and Grandmother were.

17. By clssylssy on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Cards62…
    I too have been curious about why the Cards haven’t considered Mangold. My guess is that it probably is about money, with a mixture of stubborness/arrogance mixed in. Like some other players who have been good, often their expectations for their own market value is more than reality dictates, especially when there have been injuries or there is depreciation with age (fail-safe argument for GMs). The very real fact is that there is a chemistry built between the Center and the QB and Palmer has been a big AQ Shipley cheerleader which may be a lot to do with why they haven’t moved Boehm into that position yet, since that was their plan originally. I think our 0-line would improve greatly with a good Center but it’s not a position that is plug’n’play. This may be an instance in which Palmer has a lot of voice. They said “a few weeks for DJ Humphries so maybe that will mean he’s back for Dallas.
    Like Coach K, I almost have a certain sense of optimism, bc we DO have so much talent on offense IF BA can get over the loss of DJ and be that creative guy he was when he first arrived on the scene and had something to prove. DJ will be back and hopefully it will be to carry us deep into the post season. BA has tended to zero in on one player who is gifted and then pin all our hopes on that one player–a set up that puts a bullseye on one players back and makes it easy for opponents to make quick work of the team by taking out the lynchpin.
    I think if we could fix both our 0-line and stabalize our D-line (or beef it up)we could still have a shot, but it’s going to take better coaching and maybe spending some money on the here and now.
    We need to focus on winning the west and a good start would be also protecting the nest and not dropping anymore home games.

18. By joe holst on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

I wouldn’t risk further damage and just shelf him all year, new running backs coach Freddie Kinchens and all of a sudden 2 RB’s blow out there wrist, its BS

19. By Dan on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Kerwiynn Williams is a stud. Iupati is pretty much done. I think honestly think Wetzel is a better option at guard than Iupati.

20. By Scott H on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Well, there is being BEHIND the 8-ball…..and there is being UNDER it. Gotta be honest, this feels like under it to me. The time frames just aren’t optimistic. Even if we get him back in late December, how in game shape is he going to be?? Granted, it being a wrist injury, he can continue to keep the rest of his body in shape. But you hear players / former players say it all the time ( and therefore, there is no reason not to believe it ) – when you’re not playing, you’re not in football shape.

So….how much of DJ do we really get back in late Dec?

We can only hope what is left of the offense can make it matter. Our schedule is not a killer. But if this O-line and Palmer don’t get their respective acts together ( NOW ), that won’t really matter, either.

21. By D on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

2018
    1- S. Darnold USC
    2- J. Rosen UCLA
    3- M. Rudolph Ok St.
    4- J. Allen Wyoming
    5- L. Falk Washington St.

WR
    1- E. Brown Notre Dame
    2- C. Ridley AL
    3- C. Kirk Texas A&M
    4- C. Sutton SMU
    5- P. Campbell OSU

OT
    1-T. Adams Washington
    2- C. Williams TX
    3- M. McGlinchey Notre Dame
    4- M. Rankin Miss St
    5- M. Ivey FL

22. By Coach K on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

I watched the game film again and our offensive line failed to pick p the defensive twist by the defensive line. We did a terrible job handling twist and stunts by the defensive line. This action caused several breakdowns by several players.

In practice, we need the offensive line to focus on handling defensive line stunts and passing off defenders while maintaining the blocking area in the cup. Our right guard and center struggle at times with their short arms and need to get their hands into the breast plate of defenders.

This crossing action by the defensive line also made our guys less aggressive in their pass pro. and the pocket collapsed affecting Palmer.

Defense actually played well enough to win after watching the game for a third time.

BA needs to be creative and use all that speed to create mismatches on offense. Let CJ2K run that off tackle zone play and he will break free more than not. He runs that zone stretch play better than anyone.

Get our receivers in bunch sets so they can run unmolested and use their speed to find the open spaces. Occasionally sneak someone deep.

We will be fine. The sports media is burying this team. They are wrong.

I see 10 or 11 wins Darren. How about you?

23. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: Wins

I thought before the season it was 10. We will see what happens with David down.

24. By clssylssy on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    LOL, Come’n Man! It’s my place to be the “Negative Nancy” or have you forgotten? DJ is young and in excellent shape and, as you pointed out, it’s a wrist. In three generations of gymnastics/cheer/diving/dance, I have had ,or my girls have had ,some pretty ugly fractures/dislocations of knees/tibias/femurs/fingers/wrists/hands/ankles/feet/shoulders and am intimately familiar with the great strides that have taken place in orthopedics and rehabilitation.so, I am optomistic about DJ’s prognosis. I’m sure we will see him on the sidelines very soon and imagine that he will be devouring tape, so not too worried about him being in shape or mentally ready. .
    Meantime, it is up to the rest of the team to do their jobs (coaches included) and begin winning games one week at a time. We were not the only team to lose it’s opener but how we respond will define us as a team and organization. The Rams have a one game lead, which is more of a worry to me than the Seahawks getting up on us, probably bc the Rams seems to have blindsided us and tripped us up so many times, but we have played our most focused football against the Hawks! Nonetheless, we need to learn from all the numerous mistakes we made against the Lions and win this week against the Colts If the defense has to carry us for awhile I hope they can step up and not quit before the game is over–stay the course!
    Let’s GO CARDS!

25. By georgiebird on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

I have become nostalgic reading a lot of these posts. You guys sound like me 30 and 40 years ago. I was a die hard then and today maybe a shade below die-hard.
    On 8/5/17, the Cards over/under was set at 8.5 games- a lot has happened since then, almost all negative.
    Let David rest, let them put a pin in his wrist so he doesn’t dislocate his wrist in the future. If 8.5 games was the prediction, where are we now?

26. By Coach K on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

D

I think we need to look at Center as well as O- Tackle in next draft.

Regarding the top QB’s, In spits of all the great QB’s this coming draft, I still
    like the kid from Oklahoma. Yes, he’s only 6 foot tall, but so is Russell Wilson
    and Drew Brees. I’d rather have a smaller mobile QB than a taller statue with less mobility.

I think this league is changing and the mobile QB is the way to go. Baker Mayfield has the “IT FACTOR” He just wins!

If I’m the Cardinals, I go game breaking receiver in round one, Mayfield in round two, Offensive line in rounds three, four and five next year.

Just sayen

27. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Coach K:

what are you drinking….

… I want some of that…

PS: we’ll see the mental toughness of our Cards…

28. By D on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

K. Dansby
    F. Rucker
    J. Bynes
    K. Martin
    T. Williams

29. By TucsonTim on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

… have broken what could not be broken! Now, hope is broken

Look what happened to this team when the Badger went down in Philly. Do you think this will be better?

30. By Tradersbrain on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

After reading the defensive players’ complaints about playing on a short field (looking at you offense), I’m afraid that this thing might unravel fast. But then again winning cures everything.

31. By JTDG on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

D and Coach K,

Baker Mayfield;

If you like Jake Plummer, you like Baker. If you hated Jake the Snake, this is not your guy.

Darnald is so far ahead of everyone else, he is the #1 pick. So, in the offseason, I will refrain from talking about him unless we are really bad this year.
    For me, I would trade my whole draft and other picks to land him.
    Use you FA money, ie the release of Palmer, Iupati and Veldheer (about 27 million) on Oline and receivers.

Rosen is good but has questions he needs to answer this year. But he is pretty good.

But we could get a guy like Allen. Give him a year to sit and learn behind Gabbert and by 2019 or 20, he could be a franchise guy.

32. By JTDG on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Oh and Kirk from A&M is a stud receiver.

If you could somehow get Allen and Kirk by trading up to get two 1’s, that would be pretty awesome.

33. By Bryan on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

I heard on the red sea report that Lupati either injured or reinjured his left arm during the Lions game and now seeing the tweet on the website that he did not practice today. Who is filling in at left guard, Alex Boone?

34. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Bryan —

RE: two things

1) I would think so but practice is closed to that.
    2) I don’t understand why so many people say “Lupati.” Not just you. On Twitter and here. It’s not hard, and this is his third season here. It’s an I. Iupati.

35. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Re: two things. No surprise there. It took a long time for people to learn how to spell BIDWILL.

36. By Darren Urban on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Johnnybluenose —

RE: Bidwill

You are assuming they all spell it correctly now. They do not. And that’s not just fans. NFL.com/NFL Network has issues there too.

37. By D on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

JTDG

I don’t know how Mr. Keim will be able to fill all these holes in one offseason.

Clearly you need a Franchise QB which should be priority.
    I like M. Rudolph at Ok St.
    You plan on giving Gabbert a 2yr extension since he is a UFA at end of the year?

Club will need a #1 WR too. You could resign Jarod Brown during year or John Brown depending on production by week 12 but both appear to be a #2 or 3 WR option at this point. Chad. Williams will need some time to develop.

Team also will need another Top RT and at Least One Top Guard for the Oline.

They will have plenty of free agent cap space, but my initial review of 2018 free agents didn’t spark any excitement for OL and WR’s that won’t be resigned or franchised by existing teams.

You also have to decide on BA’s future..will he have the drive or patience to start over with a Rookie QB at this point in his coaching career. He is a QB whisper for Top 10 drafted QB’s…AZ would have to fail badly to get into top 10 territory.
    Will be hard to beat the jets, bills, jackville, Houston, san fran, bears, rams, browns for total suckage this year.. to draft a top 6 QB..

I know fans and Darren, way too early of this talk but reality must be discussed if 2017 goes down in flames…

38. By lonnie peavler on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Keep calm and get the ball to Larry a real go to guy

39. By JTDG on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

D,

Jets and Colts will be the two worst teams. The Colts have Luck and if he will be healthy, they may look to trade down.
    The Bears, Houston, Rams and browns have young QBs that I think they will stick with.
    Jacksonville will have to figure out what to do with Bortles. This year will decide that.
    That leaves San Fran, Bills and maybe Washington. It will be interesting what happens to Cousins, Tyrod Taylor, and Bortles. You also have Garapalo and AJ McCarrens,

(Frankly, I do not see Jax or Rams in top 10 – Maybe Cinncy, )

So, it will be interesting how the year goes and who keeps who and who moves teams and who is actually looking for a team.

To me, the cards must get a new QB in 2018. A trade up to get Darnald is probably not going to happen because he will go to the Jets, but that is my guy.

Frankly, I think there are big changes in 2018 that I would do. Veldheer, Iupati, Palmer would be gone, saving 27 million (exactly why you could have signed Kevin Zeitler and Stephan Gilmore). I also would pass on resigning Buc in 2018. I would let it play out.

So, 2018, we will have to extend Gabbert, sign two guards and a center. I’m not sold on what we have at this point. I really have very little faith Jaron will be a factor in the passing game. John Brown is a wait and see. So, we need a few receivers in 2018.

If you have a young QB, give him an oline and weapons. Look at Goff. The rams went out and signed center Sullivan and LT Whitworth and gave him rookie receiver Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds,traded for Sammy Watkins, signed Robert Woods to join Tavon Austin. They also have Todd Gurley running the ball.

That is how you take care of a young QB (see Dallas Cowboys and Dak)

Now for BA. I don’t know the answer. BA has to decide if he wants to start over.

40. By Scott H on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

Respectfully, I’m reiterating what PLAYERS say – when you’re not playing, you’re not in football shape. There is NOTHING that keeps you in football shape except playing. It’s pro football. And I’m going to rely on what I hear pro football players, current and past, say on this matter.

41. By Joe Cardea on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Nancy, I mean Classy, good post!

42. By CARDS62 on Sep 13, 2017 | Reply

Coach K we had our center in the draft this year. Pat Elflein out of Ohio State, and we knew it. He played Guard at a high level for several seasons and could have went pro but came back to college and played center for one season at a high level. Vikings drafted him in the 3rd freakin round and he started and played well for them in game 1. We have the exact same thing happening at OSU in 2017. Billy Price could have went pro in 2017 draft as a guard, but came back to OSU for another year and is playing center this season. Lets hope we learned something and draft him in 2018.

I am also okay with OSU center Nick Mangold this year if he is healthy. With no DJ for most of the season we really need more from our interior line. I am not as sold on Alex Boone. Alex always had the talent and played tackle in college, but not the commitment to the game. I do think Alex will be an improvement over either of our two starting guards right now.

Go Cards beat the Colts.

43. By Scott H on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

First, let me just say that I hate that we are even looking ahead to next season in terms of what we need. Because as you and I clearly agree, our needs for THIS season were not adequately addressed. And I’m FAR from letting that go! 🙂

But let me throw something out there for you to consider as it relates to QB…..Alex Smith. Clearly, the organization has had a tendency to prefer veteran QB’s. And we all know they have been lousy with drafting young QB’s. So…..the Chiefs drafted Mahomes and you figure come next year, if not even some time this year, he’s playing. That would leave Alex Smith, a solid but not spectacular QB, in need of a home. You think the Cardinals look at him as their next veteran QB who has a few years left in the tank?

I mean, you can do worse than him, but…….then again, you can certainly do better. And you probably need to if playing for a SB is the goal. Just a thought.

44. By Bryan on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

RE- Spelling Error

My apologies on the misspelling of Iupati. Interesting Instagram post…

Time for the Spelling Bee! Can you spell our left guard's last name?

A post shared by Arizona Cardinals (@azcardinals) on

Thanks for answering my question.

45. By mitchaz on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

Cardinals’ Offense Behind The Times

Play calling into today’s NFL has morphed into a cat and mouse game at the line of scrimmage. While pro coaches such as Bruce Arians express disdain for the “no huddle” trend in college football, the NFL has adopted its own version of it.

Look at what Matthew Stafford did to take command of the game versus the Cardinals. He scrapped the huddle so as to buy time to swiftly get the offense in formation and to carefully read how the Cardinals’ defense matched up. From there he used a hard count, sometimes two and three times to see if he could get any of the Cardinals’ defensive linemen to jump off-sides, but even more importantly, he did it to see if he could get any of the Cardinals’ linebackers and safeties to telecast their blitzes. When he could see which players were getting jumpy, then came the check downs and the pass protection/blocking adjustments. Stafford even pointed to the players he thought was going to blitz.

It worked, because on a number of occasions the Cardinals’ defense then checked out of their original blitz call, because they felt they had already given it away.

The Cardinals’ normally blitz two or three times as much as they did versus the Lions…yet, Stafford had a lot to do with why the Cardinals blitzed only 15% of the time in this game.

Look at Aaron Rodgers with the Packers. Rodgers, who had a very difficult first half handling the Seahawks’ pressure, did essentially what Stafford did. He bought himself some time at the line of scrimmage…made audibles in reaction to how the Seahawks’ defense was aligned, gave numerous hard counts, which had the Seahawks’ DTs and DEs jumping off sides and then Rodgers got a few free plays out of it where he loves to take his shots down the field. Rodgers has been doing this and thriving on it for years.

Tom Brady…same thing much of the time.

Conversely, the Cardinals typically huddle (and take their time calling the play that is read off Palmer’s wristband—and, even worse, they take their sweet time getting out of the huddle and lined up)…and by the time Carson Palmer has the offense aligned, the play clock is running down and by the time they motion the WR (to give the offense a sense of whether the defense is in man or zone coverage), the play clock is under 5 seconds. Then, Palmer snaps the ball on the first hut, which gives a distinct advantage to the defense.

Has Bruce Arians kept up with the times as a play caller? The Cardinals do not seem to gain the competitive advantage that other offenses do with QBs who audible and use hard counts and re-audible, when necessary. Furthermore, it seems, more often than not, the Cardinals’ offense has become highly predictable.

Thus, imagine how good the offense could be if they could win the cat and mouse games at the line of scrimmage and actually keep a defense guessing and on its heels. Arians is a skillful play caller. But, like any poker player who hopes to win the jackpot, he can’t keep giving his hand away.

46. By clssylssy on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

Oh geez…we lose one game, suffer the loss of an important piece of the offense, and we’re ready to start with the mock drafts? Perhaps the fans need to show a little toughness as well as the players and demonstrate to the rest of the country that we’re NOT a bunch of quitters!
    I continue to worry about our receivers but am encouraged that this new DJ might be able to help shore up that weakness left by the other DJ in time. BA said something about starting him on Special Teams to get some early playing time while he learns the playbook which also sounds like a positive.
    I know we’re not the only team that has 0-line issues but it seems we are the only team not working on the problem. BA keeps saying that our D-line was fine but it sure didn’t look that way last week. Why did Arians dial back the blitz in the 4th quarter when he knew that’s when Stafford traditionally brings the offense? Do we need some additional coaching help on defense this year?
    On to Indy and focusing on a win–can’t let the Rams get two up on us!

47. By faster on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

qb shortsighted, imo palmer needs help, stanton should start the next games the first two quarters, and tire the defense, and then palmer could come in fresh.
    qb longsighted, next year alex smith could be available.

48. By JTDG on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

clssy and Scott H

2018 Draft;

“D” listed some players and Coach K added his opinions which lead “D” to ask me a question. I will never turn down a question about the draft.

Plus, the guys who will be drafted are playing right now on Saturdays. I don’t have to wait for the experts to tell me who we should pick because I can watch for myself. The first time I saw Darnald throw a pass last year, I knew he was an Andrew Luck kind of guy.

Here is also a little bit of information. The cardinals and all 32 teams are scouting the guys right now too. So, it is never too early to talk draft.

But I do have to say, regardless of Palmer’s 2017 year, I think he is clearly not a 24 million dollar QB anymore and in 2018, it is time to clear out a portion of that and get a new QB.

Now , I have been a huge supporter of Palmer and appreciate everything he has done for the cards. I think he has been a very good QB and I feel that 2014 team had a real shot if he didn’t get injured and 2015 had a real shot, with just a couple more FAs added. He could have a couple superbowls under his belt, but fell short. But you are seeing the end of Palmer. He just isn’t the same guy. I let him play out this year, maybe he can get us 10-11 wins and to the playoffs. But then it will be time for his era to end. It was like Manning, it just happened overnight that he got old.

So, if you think that, and college games are going on, why not watch the QBs and see who might be the guy? Not to mention, the FAs who will hit the market.

Oh, Scott, the way Alex Smith played last week, with the weapons he has, I don’t see him being cut loose anytime soon. With Hunt, Hill and the gang, Smith has a lot to look forward to this year.

I’ll end with, wow, a pep talk and possitivity out of Clssy. On to Indy. I think the cards do win and win big. 35-13.

49. By JTDG on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

Cards62

You are absolutely right.
    Elflien was a guy I thought the cards to draft. I liked him and Forrest Lamp. Lamp went down with an injury but Elflein is starting and playing well.

Wouldn’t it be nice going into 2017 with a signing of Zeitler at RG and draft of Pat Elflein and knowing Lamp could be back to take Iupati’s spot next year? A rookie QBs dream.

50. By clssylssy on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

JTDG:
    I KNOW!!! SURPRISE, SURPRISE…huh? LOL! Nonetheless, we need to play this game as if it were the playoffs b/c Indy does have a few good men and, as they say, “Any Given Sunday”. Mostly though we just need to play at a level that we can be proud of by giving it a 110% for the entire four quarters. The Cards don’t seem to have gotten this road thing mentality down yet, so I am causious about assuming anything. Just Do It!
    FWIW, I think all real football fans begin paying attention to what’s out there as far as standout players go but to have it begin taking over one’s thinking is futile. When was the last time the Cards went after one of these “standouts”…Patrick Peterson? Not a BASK pick) So, to fall in love with any of these guys is pretty much begging to get your heart broken as long as we are applying the BASK philosophy,
    Could I see KC trading Alex Smith? Depending on how Mahomes developes, I would say that nothing is outside the realm of possibility with Andy Reid, who has proven to be a pretty good horse trader and not a coach to leave the team short. If Alex were up for trade, I have a feeling that he would draw a lot of interest and while would be great for the Cards, would no doubt be out of our price range.
    I personally love to hear what you guys think about our roster but, do find it kinda takes over from the reality of our current situation once the ball starts rolling!

51. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz…completely agree with you. our offense plays with no energy at all.

52. By aschatte on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

If the 2017 season wasn’t adequately drafted for and offseason built, chances are 2018 wont be. Not to be a negative Nancy, but for the last 14 years been watching this teams gut wrenching performances year after year and thinking, Arizona deserves better than this…even in 2008 after the Patriots debacle game (47-7) – I didnt have much faith but knew that the division was weak and we needed to just win a few more games to get into the playoffs…Probably for the next 10-20 years, our best chance of winning a SB is gone with that ’08 season. I have no faith in Keim but at this point what else can this organization do – Maybe we can lure Belichick to head and manage this team in 2-3 years time, caress his ego and lure him to make us a SB Winner finally. or I dont see it happening under this regime.

I will take this season with a pinch of salt and cherish every win and catch by Larry Fitz. Great guy and competitor who might just end up never winning a SB Ring, unless decides to move onto a team which can!

53. By dkerry5242 on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

You have to figure David Johnson will not return this season. If he’s out twelve weeks then he won’t be in football shape to come back. As far as drafting a QB next year, Mason Rudolph of Oklahoma State should be our first choice, big arm, mobile and all he does is win. Darnold is also a good pick and Baker Mayfield is also a possibility.

54. By Scott H on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Alex Smith

REALLY?? You think the Chiefs traded UP to get Mahones ( jumped right in front of the Cardinals, BTW ) this year to have him ride the bench in 2018?? I say no way. No way. And I’m NOT saying that Alex Smith is / should be our guy, but I think he is definitely playing somewhere else in 2018.

And, yes, if he turns in a career year and looks to be hitting his peak in his latter years…..I can absolutely see the Cardinals being interested. I think another veteran QB that can take the reins from Palmer and keep us in the ring is right up their alley.

55. By Scott H on Sep 14, 2017 | Reply

JTDG / clssy –

I have WANTED to believe in Palmer, but that is just getting harder to do.

What occurs to me now ( and it has along the way as well ) is that Carson Palmer, for Cardinals fans, was like an all-you-can-eat-buffet for a starving man. Because after 3 years of Leinart / Anderson / Hall / Skelton / Kolb from 2010 thru 2012, that is what we were – starving. At that point, Palmer seemed like a gift from the Gods.

But, really……doesn’t food always smell & taste better when you’re starving? Sure it does.

Palmer has been a roller coaster ride that has just been little short on the fun lately. He looked like he could do no wrong for 15 weeks in 2015….was a bona fide league MVP candidate. And that was as exciting as it’s even been for me. But…..

It is starting to feel like that was the peak, we’ve been there, and we’re not going back.

And, no all these injuries affecting his weapons and our best O-lineman certainly don’t help his cause.

As with many other things, I HOPE I’m wrong, but…..the feeling with Palmer is fading at this point.

I think it can go either way – he finds it and gets this offense going OR it gets really ugly – he continues to struggle, he’s throwing more INT’s than TD’s after 5-6 weeks and he gets benched for either Stanton ( hoping for a spark? ) or Gabbert ( looking to the future? )

Care to pick a side? Right at this moment, the confidence is not there for me to confidently bet on him.

56. By Dan on Sep 15, 2017 | Reply

Is that loser Nkemdiche playing anytime soon?

57. By JTDG on Sep 15, 2017 | Reply

Scott H

Smith / Mahomes;

The thought was Smith could not get the ball down the field. He went a whole year without a TD to a WR. That is unbelievable.

The offense is the west coast, with Andy Reed. The offense gets 5 receivers into the patterns and you read and get to the guy the defense gives you. Problem was, defenses gave Smith deep balls but he settled on everything underneath.

Mahomes is that back yard QB who likes to throw deep. He has a lot of raw talent.
    Not sure he is ready (and Andy Reed doesn’t think he is ready either).

But the message was sent. Smith looked like an MVP candidate against NE. He was spreading the ball around but hitting guys down the field. That pass to Hunt, hitting him in stride for the TD was as good as a throw you will ever see.

Can he keep it up? We will see. But if I have the Smith from week one all year, I see no way do I let him go. That Smith could take you to a super bowl.

Mahomes is an unknown. You saw Deshawn Watson make plays but look like a rookie. Deshone Kizer looked good at times but was a rookie out there. The chiefs are pretty good. The last thing they need is a rookie leading them.

58. By Scott H on Sep 15, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

I see both sides of the Smith / Mahomes situation. If Smith CAN actually sustain a level of play that puts the Chiefs in that quandry….that is going to be a tough call.

But can ya see the irony that might be brewing here? The Chiefs jump up in the 2017 draft to get right in front of the Cardinals to take Mahomes ( whom they must have felt the Cardinals were going to take ). Then, Alex Smith lands in Arizona in 2018 while Mahomes takes over the reins in KC. How does the story end? How else – the Cardinals and the Chiefs meet in the 2019 SB where Alex Smith gets to face off against the kid who took his job!

Who wins, you ask? I’m sorry, I can’t spoil the ending. I’d love to, but…..

59. By JTDG on Sep 15, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

I’ll play along with anything that puts the cards in the superbowl.

But BA and Alex Smith ??? Not sure that is a match.

60. By Scott H on Sep 20, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

Not sure why you don’t see Smith and BA as a match….why not? BA and a veteran QB seems to be a better match than BA and a rookie QB. And I kinda see Smith and Palmer as being pretty similar in terms of playing style and personality.

Another name to throw out there – Drew Brees. Seems likely he may be done in NO after this year. Might they try to catch lightning in a bottle with him? He’s gonna come with a big price tag, though. But Brees IS the kind of QB who can elevate the play of the whole offense.

Just a thought. I always wondered about the possibility of Brees ending up here late in his career.

2. Sep 13, 2017: David Johnson’s Christmas return? (By AZCardinals.com (blog)) - ChristianLibrary