Colts aftermath

Posted by Darren Urban on September 17, 2017 – 3:48 pm

When the game ended and Tyrann Mathieu was leaving the field, Colts quarterback Jacoby Brissett found his Sunday overtime nemesis for a moment.

Seems that when Mathieu was at LSU and Brissett was at Florida in 2011, Brissett’s first college start came against the Tigers and Mathieu picked him off that day. Then Sunday, in Brissett’s first start for the Colts, there was Mathieu again.

“He was like, ‘Damn, bro, every time I start, why you have to pick me off?’ ” Mathieu recounted. “I was like, ‘I don’t know. I don’t know why you threw it at me then.’ ”

The Honey Badger smiled, because it was humorous and it was also the kind of story you really only tell after a win. The Cardinals did that with the 16-13 overtime squeaker – and props to my cohort Kyle Odegard, who on our podcast this week talked about how the Cards would be happy even with a 14-13 win and oh, was he close – and so Mathieu could be happy. He made the big play and Phil Dawson finished the rest.

No one is proclaiming the Cardinals in a good place. They have to score more, they have to force more turnovers. But if it wasn’t for a bad leverage penalty on a field-goal block try by Rodney Gunter, the Colts still would not have a touchdown this season. The defense did OK (the Cowboys are going to be a much sturdier test next week). The offense is what it is right now, trying to find itself through injuries and with a quarterback who is not playing anywhere near the level they need.

“The quarterback has to play better,” coach Bruce Arians said. “Simple.”

The protection has to be better too, Arians said, but everyone knows it starts at QB. Palmer got better when he needed to – that 45-yard throw to Nelson for the touchdown was gorgeous – but he can’t make the forced interception like he did, either.

— Kerwynn Williams has shown he can gain yards in this league, but it sure looked like the Cardinals’ best course of action at running back with David Johnson down will be to use veteran Chris Johnson. CJ2K gained four yards a carry on 11 carries, and looked comfortable. I wouldn’t be surprised if Arians ends up more comfortable with a lot of CJ too.

— So many near-sacks again. Markus Golden had a couple early. Chandler Jones too. The defense did well most of the game, but they need to finish off some of these sacks. A turnover before overtime would help too.

— J.J. Nelson has become a significant weapon. Arians is right, it’s not important in John Brown’s absence, it’s important regardless.

— The Cardinals didn’t appear to get anyone injured, which is a good result after the carnage in Detroit.

— The Cardinals had a third-and-1 on the drive that ended up being Nelson’s 45-yard TD catch. Whatever the play was supposed to be, Palmer fumbled the snap on an awkward-looking play to begin with. Somehow, the middle of the defense parted, and Palmer picked up the ball and fell forward four yards for a first down.

“That wasn’t a quarterback sneak, that was a total FUBAR,” Arians said, “from the coaches on the sideline getting the right players in the game to the right players staying in the game and executing the play. We were lucky.”

— Not sure if Jared Veldheer is still having comfort issues on the right side of the line, but he was beat a couple of times. Not that the other guys don’t make plays – Jabaal Sheard is proving to be a pretty good player – but they are expecting more (and needing more) from Veldheer.

— Surprising Phil Dawson missed the first one. He also mentioned he had heard so much about last year’s Cards’ kicking woes it “built up.” The last thing the Cardinals need is for the new guy to be impacted. Hopefully the OT kick gets things smoothed over.

— Larry Fitzgerald had a big smile after the win. He didn’t do much – three catches, 21 yards – but they won. And that made everyone happy.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

44 Responses to “Colts aftermath”

1. By Scott H on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

Well, thank you Bruce Arians, for saying what says it all right now – “The QB has to play better. Simple.” THAT is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. I am SOOOOOO damn tired of the excuses….injuries…..he’s missing his weapons…..please . Spare me. Save it. Folks, Carson Palmer is a veteran QB and a big boy and he needs to play better. Period, end of story. It IS simple – he has to play better.

Better to win ugly than not win….and 1-1 is better than 0-2, so….I’ll take it. But….that doesn’t mean I have to like it. I’m not gonna repeat any of my rants from the previous blog, but…..there is a lot that needs to be so much better than it’s been through 2 weeks if this season is going to be worth a damn.

As I’m watching the late games, I’m seeing that the Cowboys are losing bodies in their secondary. The Broncos and Trevor Simeon have been able to take advantage, so…..our veteran / big boy QB SHOULD be able to do the same.

JJ Nelson kicked it in today and that was great to see. He is as talented as he is fast. You can see that Palmer likes to go to him. It seems to me that he and Jaron Brown are our future at WR, so let’s get these guys more involved.

Last I saw San Fran was winning a close one against Seattle…..hang in there, fellas!

Looking forward to a long week to rest, hopefully getting some guys back, and our home opener.

2. By faster on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

maybe i owe catman a apology, me thinks not the kickers are the problem, the guys before them are. look at the picture above.

and did i mention, i want stanton to start the first two quarters against the cowboys?

otherwise a typical game as we have seen it in the last time often, offense mostly absent, special teams adding special effects to my nerves (i was really starting to chant dawson, dawson before my screen the last seconds in regular time :-/) and defense carrying the day.

3. By shannon robinson on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

If the Cardinals now win two in a row, would people think that’s a good start? Or 1-1 tied for first place? It’s all part of winning. Uno, dos, tres, Cards!

4. By Erik on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

Yeah, Palmer needs to play better. But, from what I see, there is no talent on the OL or DL. Going to be hard to win more than a handful of games if that doesn’t change.

5. By CardsNation on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

we ain’t gonna win against the Cowboys if we play like this. You’re playing against a QB that’s brand new to the system. I have expected a big score tbh, we have to do better against Dallas next week. Hopefully Humpries will be back, that o-line is horrible.

6. By Tradersbrain on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

Great to finally win a close one. During the offseason, prior to CP deciding whether to retire or play another year, BA commented that he needed to protect CP better. Obviously, that was lip service.

7. By joe holst on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

please can amos jones.

8. By rjrjn on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

Brissett’s first NFL start came last year when he was in NE, I believe against Texans.

9. By Darren Urban on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

rjrjn —

RE: Brissett

Thanks. Fixed.

10. By Jo Ball on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

Anyone see the Seahawks barely beat a lousy 49er team? I’ll take a win anyway I can get it. With that said, it was hard to ignore all the short comings of this Arizona team. Offensive line could be the Achilles heal of this team this year.

11. By hminus on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

How long is D.J & Lupati out?…

12. By Coach K on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

I hope CJ2K is the main running back.

What happened to Kimdichi?

This is going to be a struggle each week.

13. By Scott H on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

Well, so much for a San Fran up-set. The Seahawks won ugly, too.

Just wondering why……with a first down on the Colts side of the 50 and 1:44 left on the clock, WHY we’re going with two long passes on 1st and 2nd down. Both were in-complete and we’re in a quick 3rd and 10, which of course we failed to convert. Ball goes back to the Colts. WHY are we calling those plays?? We had the momentum and the clock was our friend at that point. Why not take our time, burn the clock, force them to burn their TO’s, and ease our way into position to kick a walk-off FG from either in close or at least a safe distance?

The no risk it, no biscuit thing didn’t seem to be the way to go there. Yeah, you love it when it works, but…..it could just as easily cost you a game like this. And if it does and we’re sitting at 0-2 after losing this one, that scenario is the subject of a lot of questions tomorrow. Against a better team….it probably does cost you. Which is another reason to question it, actually – you’re the better team, so why not just line up and execute your way into FG range simply because you ARE the better team?

Ah well, doesn’t matter now.

14. By Cardinale on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

dear god what a boring game. Please kill the cowgirls. If we only win a few at least stop the hillbillies and seahags, please cardinals!!!!

15. By DZ on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

The Quarterback Whisperer needs to start shouting. His aging QB either can’t hear him or he is putting him to sleep.
    I’m happy for the win but this team should not look like this after 8 weeks of training camp and 7 games, including preseason.
    We generally play up to good teams and down to bad.
    We will need every Card fan in that stadium helping to make a difference come Monday evening.

16. By dynosoar on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

My one thought and i hope I’m correct is the Colts were embarrassed last week and they were going to win this week (except they didn’t). I’ll be watching the game in a day or two and will see for myself, but I’d think the Colts steeled themselves for today after the Rams loss.

Still, if we don’t improve…

I’m feeling next year we don’t give our veterans days off in training camp every week. It looks like they don’t have their football legs yet. At least that was my observation in the Lions game.

Go Cards! We’re with you all the way.
    Win or Lose,this is my team! But I definitely want wins, one win at a time. (Game 19/20 being the most important win.)

17. By dynosoar on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

Win all the games at home and half on the road.

Good teams don’t lose twice in a row.

We’re living these mantras so far this year. Here’s to keeping them and having at least 12 wins on the season (and sweeping the division.)

I want to see more Fitzgerald and I want him to not drop the ball (He’s not the man to let that happen too often, so I’m not worried, but that Lions game was rough there.)

Looking forward to seeing Dallas for the second time this season, we win this one and we’ll be 100% at home on the season. They didn’t look too sharp against Denver, but they will have a week to recover and heal injuries. So will we.

18. By krehbieo14 on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

Palmer was sacked four times today. He was constantly pressured. Although he’s played poorly, the Offensive line is the main culprit with the exception of Wetzel. With Humphries and Iupati out, there was a lack of continuity. They also lacked the stability of Gresham and John Brown. They are not firing on all cylinders yet. CJ2 should be the go to back with Ellington on 3rd downs. Hopefully, they figure out their identity soon. For the most part, D looked good.

19. By Canadian Redbird on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

Darren:

With 13 seconds left and Indy calling a time out before the play started, why would Arians not kick the field goal at that point. This would have eliminated any chance of ” freezing ” by Indy as you can’t call two time outs in a row without having a play happen in between. This made absolutely ” No Sense “. We were extremely lucky to win this game.

I am quickly losing confidence in the ” OLD GUY ” !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. By dkerry5242 on Sep 17, 2017 | Reply

I know we’ll take a win anyway we can get them; but what happened to the tight ends after those first few catches early in the game? They were a forgotten group. Also, CJ2K has a couple of nice runs and he’s taken out and doesn’t come back until midway through the third quarter or later, what is that all about?
    It’s no wonder we cannot find a rhythm with that play calling.
    There is no way we can lose to the cowboys and have to endure all the crap from the Cowboy fans.

21. By Dan on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

John Brown is done, has been done……..one good year, if that. Maybe he should take up yoga or something. He has been going downhill since half his rookie year……..obviously not a good sign, time to move on.

22. By CardinalChris on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

In the photo above, it sure appears 99 has his hand on the Cardinal player. Should be a penalty, right? Saw this penalty called in the Cowboys/Denver game. Sure seems iffy…

23. By BirdsSTC on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

Recently relocated to Indiana for work and took my 5 year old to his first Cards game (would much rather have had it be at the UoP). I will echo Cardinale’s comment, what a boring, awful game. But I’ll take the win. On a side note, way more Cards fans than I thought there would be at this one.

24. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

Scott H…..I have not seen either of the Cardinals games so I don’t know that Palmer has played poorly. I did some highlights (lowlights??) from last week including the interception he threw right at the Detroit defender and that did look very bad. Still, Palmer did throw for 300 plus yards yesterday which is not too shabby. But playing against the Colts maybe that’s not such an accomplishment. But what’s with Larry….three catches for 21 yards? Could he not get open? If Palmer needs to be better maybe Larry does too. But what I wanted to comment on was your observation about BA’s clock management or, in this case, mismanagement which apparently gave the ball back to the Colts late in the game and gave them an opportunity to win in regulation. Someone else commented on the same thing after last week’s game. On our last possession of the first half we threw three incomplete passes, taking almost no time off the clock, which enabled Detroit to kick a last second field goal and give them some momentum going into the second half. Arians has been very critical of Palmer after both games. Fair enough. But I would like to see Palmer or someone else stand up and criticize Arians’ play calling which seems to be part of the problem too. It’s hard to know what this season has in store for us. Injuries have been a problem for sure but DJ had no success running the ball last week before he was injured. I am glad to see CJ2K back. Like you and many others I was surprised to see Seattle struggle yesterday. The NFC West should be interesting this year. I’m certainly looking forward to our next game against the Cowboys but only if we play better. Hopefully we can learn something from watching Denver’s defense which certainly played very well yesterday. But we are not a Super Bowl contender this year. Not even close.

25. By Scott H on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

So funny….I express agreeing whole heartedly with the HC that our QB needs to play better. And my post gets blasted.

Yet, everyone else ( quite a few, BTW ) who expresses agreeing that our QB needs to play better gets thumbs-up’s out the whazoo.

Yeah, that makes sense, doesn’t it?

Moving on….while it seems that we want to keep thinking that Fitz and Smoky are the WR’s we need to rely on, I’m thinking we need to start making a home for JJ and Jaron. NO, I’m not saying we shuffle Fitz and Smoky to the bottom of the deck. Heavens, no. We DO need them. But if you look at late last season and how we are stating off, it seems like JJ is becoming the go-to guy here. And that is OK. And Jaron seems to have more to offer than we have tapped into so far.

Fitz is STILL the most talented WR on this team and his days of carrying us on Sunday are not over. As long as he is healthy, he is still gonna have his days. AND his very presence on the field will command attention that will help everyone else.

Smoky? Sorry, we just can’t depend on him. If he gets himself back together and is able to string some games together at full strength, then by all means, feed that beast! But it just isn’t heading in that direction. We may be lucky to get sporadic production out of him, at best.

So? Let’s start making a home for JJ, Jaron, and even Golden.

And hopefully, we have realized that CJ is our best RB going forward. We still need the other guys and a committee approach because they all have something to offer. But we all saw it – CJ is our best RB right now, and I don’t see that changing as long as he is healthy.

26. By Austen on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

My Thoughts:

OFFENSE:

– Can we stop with the Offense getting the ball first?? I get it if the opponent elects to receive next half but BA needs to put the Defense out first if he gets the choice. Let the Defense stop them and create momentum for the Offense. Its never a good thing when we start with a 3 and out and put the Defense in a bad position.

– CJ should be the starter from here on out. I like KW and he fights for every yard but CJ is more consistent. Let KW be the change of pace not the other way around.

– Lets be honest, Carson looks slow and is slow and our Oline can’t seem to keep him upright. When the Line does pull its weight, Carson gets antsy and miss fires or forces throws. Why does it always seem like every team we play their QB is throwing to OPEN RECEIVERS but yet Carson is throwing in tight windows or double coverage. Ill admit I was very close to calling for CP to be benched but we have to realize its DO or DIE with him. DS isnt going to WOW us! I will say that I saw DS warming up on the sideline and that must have lit a fire under CPs *** because that Drive he played much better. I think that is what he needed.

– JJ is a special player, not the greatest hands but definitely has talent. I love Jaron Brown too, the kid is a fighter! I will give the deep TD pass a 60-40 effort in favor of Palmer. That Ball was beautifully thrown and the exact spot it needed to be. It isnt like JJ jumped to snatch it out of the air.

– Ive gotta say we must be one of the worst teams when it comes to screens. That never works or at least we use it at the wrong time.

– We have to play better in the RED ZONE PERIOD! If we continue to fight through low scoring games, every opportunity in the RZ must be capitalized. Plain and simple!

DEFENSE:

– It hurts our D when our Offense is putting them in bad field positions and going 3 and out constantly. However, our D buckles down when it needs too. Stupid Penalties are killer and we need to watch the ball and STOP jumping offsides on hard counts!

– The Badger played much better this week. I counted almost 3 potential INTs he could have had. Thats a good sign especially when he comes up with one when it counts.

– The Defense plays LIGHTS OUT when we get momentum going on Offense. We have to keep feeding off each other like that.

– I have also noticed Tackling is much better this season. We should have had some sacks but we are much better than last year for sure.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

– I was actually surprised to see Dawson Kicking off as well as he has been doing. I thought I was going to see alot more short kicks but hes been doing well. He should have made the 2nd kick after the ICE timeout but lets be honest if that was CAT MAN he would have missed all three attempts. PD is a proven vet and he will come in handy alot this year.

– Andy Lee did well too. Much better than any other punter we have seen lately.

– DUDE Budda Baker is special too! His tackling is uncanny. That was an amazing pick by SK.

OVERALL:

If we play sluggish like we did this week we will get destroyed by Dallas. They didnt have a good game either and we will certainly play them tough at home. Denvers D line is much faster then ours, so look out for a lot of Blitzing and Safeties coming up on the edge. Dont be surprised if we see alot of Reddick on the edge too. Next week is very much a winnable game. It isn’t looking bad for us in the Division with the Seahawks having a tough time with the 9ers at home.

CARDS 23 – COWBOYS 20

27. By JTDG on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

Dynosaur,

Tough loss for your Univ of Tennessee this weekend.
    But I like that RB Kelly that you have. Runs tough and has a lot of shake in him.

28. By Jametruis Judge on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

What I don’t understand is, why not keep CJ2K in the game ? Give him the ball like you would David Johnson. If it’s next man up, then use your next best running back. Besides, he’s a good pass protector. And for the record. I had wrote on the blog when we had first cut CJ2K that was a bad decision and that we were going to need a running back at some point in the season.

29. By JTDG on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

You may want to correct.

“CJ2K gained four yards a carry on 11 carries, and looked comfortable”

30. By Darren Urban on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: CJ2K

Why?

31. By JTDG on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

He gained 4 yards on 11 carries?

I don’t think he would look comfortable with that.

Might need to be 44 yards?

32. By Darren Urban on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: CJ2K

That’s not what it says.

33. By Jon Keller on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

All of 2016 and starting out this season Cardinals just cannot seem to start well with the quick 3 and out’s punt. Defensively we seem to get so close to the quarterback and the conversions on 3rd and 10 are just killer. TE’s are killing us. We just need to line up in the 2 minute hurry up offense and go 4 wide. Its killing us that John Brown missing time. If he can’t play then face music move on without him. Cardinals need to be more hungry and show passion to win. Do you ever see Pete Carrol fired up and getting players jacked. We quite simply do not have this emotion for the game.

34. By BirdsSTC on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

I’m sure I’m not the first to type this, but 4 yds per carry x 11 carries = 44 yds. Darren, you got it right, but you don’t need me to tell you that.

35. By JTDG on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

My mistake. Read it again and got your meaning.

36. By JamesSamuels on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

JTDG
    RE: Darren Urban/CJ2K

CJ2K gained four yards a carry on 11 carries……. ( 4×11 equals 44 ).

Ok…Now this explains JTDG’s blog replies.

reading and math is fundamental JTDG

37. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

OK, I was pretty frustrated yesterday.

Then I thought about our upcoming opponent. Every Cowboys fan I know was freaking out about the possibility of losing Elliott for 6 games.

Well, we lost our Elliott (David Johnson), and our #1 TE (which in Dallas’ case would be Witten), and our #2 receiver (which in Dallas’ case would either be Beasley or Williams), and two of our five O-line starters (a strength of the Cowboys).

Now, to be clear — I am not saying our losing Gresham is the same as Dallas losing Witten, or even that losing Brown is the same as them losing one of Beasley or Williams. But still, our O is down 5 guys, including our best offensive player. Unfortunately, DJ isn’t coming back any time soon; hopefully, at least some of the other guys are.

And on the flip side, the opponent is out their QB and started a guy who had spent something like a week with the team and nearly beat us. So yeah, I get the sense that we should’ve whipped them.

Overall, though, even with our banged-up O, this is a game that, when you look at the stat sheet, should not have been close — just as we expected it should not be close on paper. We outgained the Colts 389-266. We had 6.0 yards per play to their 3.8. Our D played poorly on the opening drive, and after that, allowed 2 FG’s for the remaining 50 minutes or so — exactly what you’d want and expect against a struggling team with a backup QB.

Why was the game close (and nearly a loss)? Because (a) we tried a play that had a minimal chance of success when we had a 4th-and-goal from the 1 yard line, instead of either taking 3 points or at least running a play with a better chance of success, (b) we committed stupid penalties at the worst times, including one on 2nd-and-goal from the 4 yard line where we had a play called that the announcers pointed out almost certainly goes for a TD, and (c) our QB didn’t see the safety playing center field and lofted a ball up for an easy INT deep in Colts territory. And all of that is BEFORE Dawson misses a GW FG as time expired in regulation. Normally, we’d get a minimum of 13 points out of those 3 possessions — at least one of the three drives, we should get a TD, and let’s assume the other two end up FG’s. That’s 13 points if not more, instead of the 3 we actually got out of those 3 drives. Indy would’ve been forced to play a more desperate game instead of the grind-it-out, clock-eating, low-scoring game that we allowed them to play because we kept leaving points on the board, and we would’ve never needed to drive the field for Dawson’s kick to begin with; we’d have been taking knees at the end instead.

So, if there is a silver lining, it is that we should’ve won the game by more. Based on the stats and the way we drove into Colts territory many more times than they drove into ours, you’d say we should’ve won this game by double digits, as many fans expected. The fact that we almost blew the game is scary, because it was a scheduling gift from the gods to get the Colts with no Luck. But I think it wasn’t as bad as some people are making it out to be, considering that we were playing down 5 offensive starters.

I’ll reserve judgment for another week. Let’s see how we play at home against the Cowboys.

38. By JTDG on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

James,

Yep, I made a mistake. For some reason , I was skipping over per carry, when I read it.
    I’m so glad for you all when I make a mistake.
    It gives you a moment to gloat since you can’t with any of our discussions.

39. By Scott H on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

Man….after 2 weeks of this NFL season…..WHERE are the dominant teams?? I see KC and NE in the AFC….Oakland and Denver look solid. Tennessee could be up and coming. But that’s not even enough to fill the playoff spots!

The NFC? Far worse. The Falcons. The Lions look solid….maybe. And…..there ya have it. NO ONE else in the NFC looks dominant. MOST teams don’t even look close. Damn, if ever the NFC were wide open….it’s now. Sure would be nice to see the Cardinals put themselves into that discussion. But right now, they fall into that not-even-close category.

But it’s there for the taking, that is for sure.

Also, I am pretty sure that I have NEVER seen the rampant injuries across the league that I’m seeing now after only two weeks. It’s un-believable.

40. By MoJoe on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

If this team’s offensive talent is what the experts say it is, then I would really like to see what an established offense coordinator could do with it. Matt Ryan loses his OC and Atlanta doesn’t skip a beat. Jim Bob Cooter is the new OC at Detroit and Stafford looks more confident and productive than before. The Colts started a QB with limited team and game time experience and he/they nearly defeated the Cards. How? Play-calling and a good scouting report were two of the factors.I realize we are now without one of our best dual threat weapons in DJ, but a little more ingenuity and less predictability is in order.

I’m convinced a different offense coordinator would take what personnel we have and not only maximize it, but make in game adjustments so we move the chains and keep the defense guessing, EVEN if our O-line is average. Yes, this would include throwing more to your tight ends. Hell, NE doesn’t have a problem using TE’s and neither does any other team. I know Carson has his physical limitations, but I think its time BA opens up the other 98% of the playbook and starts using it. Mix up the plays and the players and you just might discover another play maker in the process (Chad Williams?) We need player development in the worst way.

41. By Dan on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

We need more Cowbell this week.

42. By Dan on Sep 18, 2017 | Reply

Ethereum…………moonshot.

43. By clssylssy on Sep 19, 2017 | Reply

Well said MoJoe…
    After watching the Lions make short work of the Giants last night I should feel better about our loss but don’t b/c of the fact that it was our to lose and we did largely because of arrogance, poor play calling and just plain poor performance.
    Nonetheless, I don’t think a different OC would make any difference bc I really think Goodwin is an OC in title only and BA keeps a pretty tight rein on control of any decisions whether it’s plays or players and he is stubborn.
    Clearly, if we are to win anymore games, we are going to have to adapt to compensate for our weaknesses. Our cheerleaders would probably protect Palmer better than our 0-line but since they’re not an option, perhaps consideration should be given to going with a more mobile QB, since he is going to be running for his life anyway and probably throwing on the run. Most good teams use their TEs as extra receivers (duh) and so maybe Momah could be used more as a supplemental receiver.
    For week 2, in general, I have NEVER seen such bad football throughout the league. Some teams, get off to a slow start but build momentum and always seem to come back. The Seahawks, Patriots, Giants, seem to feed off their losses and get strronger, not sure the Cards are that introspective. This year I worry about the Rams because they are hungry and have been infused with “newness”, not to mention they are tired of being one-upped by the Cards. We REALLY need to find our grove thing and win this game at home against the Cowboys because it’s our home opener and we are capable of doing better than we’ve been showing. That was “on the road” and this week, there’ll be no excuses!

2. Sep 18, 2017: Cardinals Blogs | Cardinals saved at third-and-20