Saturday before the Cowboys

Posted by Darren Urban on September 23, 2017 – 4:29 pm

When the Cowboys visit Arizona of late, it’s provided quite the show. The last three times, it’s been decided at the very end.

* In 2008, the game goes to overtime, and the Sean Morey blocks a punt, with Monty Beisel recovering in the end zone for a 30-24 win;
* In 2010, on Christmas night, the Cardinals blew a 21-3 lead and then got a Jay Feely field goal with five seconds left for a 27-26 win;
* In 2011, Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey misses a 49-yard field goal on the final play of regulation and the game went to overtime. LaRod Stephens-Howling then grabbed a Kevin Kolb dump pass and raced 52 yards for the game-winning touchdown.

Whether we’ll see that kind of drama Monday night is unlikely, but you can’t really know. This is a game where you figure to get a much better read on the Cardinals. No early start time to gum up the works, no road game. If the Cards are going to show more than they have, this is the time and place.

“The Cowboys are apparently ‘America’s Team’ so there will be a lot of eyes on this matchup,” cornerback Patrick Peterson said.

In a weekend in which I’m guessing a lot of eyes will be everywhere on the NFL after the President’s comments and the league-wide reaction to them, Cardinals-Cowboys will cap what will likely be an emotional weekend all around. A win would do wonders for the Cards’ emotion too.

— I like the concept from Frostee Rucker about the Cardinals staying together one way or the other when it comes to potential protest. The idea that sports can stay separate from where we are as a country, though, that’s long past.

— As expected, John Brown is going to sit again (so will D.J. Humphries), and so J.J. Nelson becomes important again. Not ideal that he’s listed as questionable, or that your speed merchant is dealing with a hamstring. If I had to guess, I’d think Nelson plays, but if he was limited all week, there has to be concern with how much he can do.

— It looks like the Cards finally get Deone Bucannon back. As for the questionable Mike Iupati, after the job Alex Boone did last week, if you aren’t sure, it makes sense to me to stick with Boone again.

— Speaking of Boone, there was some learning-on-the-fly last week. “I’m not even kidding, there was a play where I was like, ‘I have no idea what’s going on,’ ” Boone said. “Carson (Palmer) looked at me and told me and was like ‘SET, GOOOO!’ Hey man, trial by fire, right?”

–All this talk about offensive line play – the Cardinals certainly have had their share – there was a great quote by Browns stud left tackle Joe Thomas this week.

“As offensive linemen, we consider ourselves mushrooms because we get thrown in the corner of a dark room and people pile poop on us and then expect us to grow,” Thomas said. “So that is why we are mushrooms.”

I have not had a chance to run the mushroom analogy past any of the Cards’ linemen.

— One lineman who actually played tight end this week was rookie guard Will Holden, who played 15 snaps at tight end last week because Jermaine Gresham was hurt and he was a better blocking option in heavy packages than Ifeanyi Momah. Holden said he’d never played tight end before. Ever. In college, he came in for similar heavy packages but he played inside while they had another offensive lineman be the tight end.

“I felt fine,” Holden said. “It’s a little different view of the defense because you’re wider out and it’s a little harder to hear. But once you settle into the game, you’re just playing football.”

Holden said he was happy with his play, although he was willing to allow, smiling, that how well he did was “up for debate.” OL coach Harold Goodwin said Holden needed to finish blocks better. Holden probably won’t be needed this week now that Gresham is back, but it’s an option going forward.

— The last time the Cardinals hosted the Cowboys on “Monday Night Football” was 1995, when Larry Centers made his incredible leap, Buddy Ryan left before the game was over and cameras were capturing footage later used in the movie “Jerry Maguire.”

“Everybody loves Jerry Maguire,” Larry Fitzgerald said. “ ‘Show me the money.’ It’s what Monday night is all about.”

(Speaking of Maguire, it makes you think back to Rod Tidwell, right?)

— Bruce Arians, after the win in Indy, now has 42 victories as Cardinals head coach. It ties him with Don Coryell for second-most in team history (Ken Whisenhunt has the top mark with 49.) B.A. was asked what he thought of that.

“It was a bad team for a long time,” Arians deadpanned. Seriously, though, “to be even mentioned with Coach Coryell, that’s mind-boggling to me,” Arians added. “He was one of my great idols and watching that team play.”

— A random tidbit Fitz revealed this week, of which I have no recollection: He played special teams as a rookie. He was on punt return, as an outside blocker taking on the opposing gunner.

“I played hold-up guy,” Fitzgerald said. “I was pretty good at it too. Me and Nate Poole, we held it down out there.”

Poole, if you remember, was on the receiving end of the famous McCown-to-Poole TD pass in the last game of 2003 to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs and send the Cards from the No. 1 overall pick to No. 3. Probably got them Fitzgerald in the first place. Now that’s drama.

See everyone Monday night.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

87 Responses to “Saturday before the Cowboys”

1. By joe holst on Sep 23, 2017 | Reply

love BA

2. By georgiebird on Sep 23, 2017 | Reply

The people of this great Country overwhelming back President Trump. There is no place for politics at a football game.

3. By georgiebird on Sep 23, 2017 | Reply

The Dallas- Cards’ game is why Dan Dierdorf is in the HOF. DD totally dominated Ed Too Tall Jones in these games for a decade- that’s when Cards played Dallas twice a year, every year.

4. By Eric G on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

You are 100% wrong georgiebird.. Trump does not have the support of anyone but his core base. He is trash. I for one hope every Cardinals player takes a knee in protest of that dumpster fire in the oval office. I hope an overwhelming majority of players take a knee today in protest of the annoying orange.

5. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

I read HEADLINES but usually don’t read the comments that follow because they are rarely about football. The latest article about trump’s latest rant was no exception although i did read some of the comments, only some because they were so angry i did not want to read any more. I will say this…I have a new respect for DJ Humphries, a young man whose voice is rarely heard. Maybe he could emerge as a team leader some day.

6. By D on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

The beginning of the End. RIP NFL. 9.27.17

7. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

“I like the concept from Frostee Rucker about the Cardinals staying together one way or the other when it comes to potential protest. The idea that sports can stay separate from where we are as a country, though, that’s long past.”

Strongly disagree with he latter.

If the NFL wants to thrive, it will keep politics out, keep players in the locker room during anthem. As our fallen Cardinal has proven, freedom is not free. I for one will not prepay $5k/yr to suffer thru disrespectful displays against our flag, our fallen, vets, soldiers and country. When we are at a game, we are a prepaid captive audience. Dont disrespect us, or our flag to our faces. We vote with our money.

The NBA made a critical mistake 20 years ago, it took 20 years to recover. I had been a 15 year season ticket holder. Never went back. The NFL is on the cusp. The vast majority of Americans are not racist, but nearly all of them are sick of being slandered that way. If the players bring the culture war to the field, history tells us they will learn the price of freedom.

8. By dynosoar on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

I hope ya’ll will accept my discussion as a discussion and not a rant, for this is in no way a rant. To all my friends here, because you are all my friends,

My thoughts on the President Trump vs. taking a knee is simple. If Kaepernick and others have the right to take a knee during the National anthem and be defended, then President Trump has the same right to say what he said. And they both have the same right to be defended and vilified because we all have the same right to free speech. Goodell has the same right to speak his mind. We all do.

I also will say I’ve bragged to all my friends that My Team is one of the Only teams that has never taken a knee and my friends all say the same thing, I wish my team wouldn’t take a knee. There is mad respect for the Cardinals for never doing so.

AND This whole debate is wrong anyway. First there are better ways to bring attention than to continually take a knee. For the first few weeks it brought attention, beyond that it’s just stubbornness.

Secondly were approaching the whole race issue from a false paradigm. The true paradigm is We ARE ALL ONE RACE. The Human Race. And We ARE All Different. Some have different skin/eye/hair color. Some are taller/shorter. We are different shapes/sizes, right handed left handed.

We are the same and unique all in one. We are debating on “You have to respect my race.” when we should be saying “We’re all one race, let’s respect each other.” (And the m,militarizing of the police is wrong as well, whatever someone’s skin color.

Kaep did good to get discussion started, now it’s all divisive and most of that is media and race baiters.

We are all one race. And we have different features and different life experiences making us all unique. And yes, we have different opinions and ideas on the best ways. That leads to discussion and y hope is one day we United will stand, instead of remain divide, for then we fall.

Go Cardinals, you are my team forever and always.

(And I will refrain from addressing this issue again, although I may be willing to discuss always because we are all friends here.)

9. By Infitzwetrust on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

Personal opinion = free speech.

It’s amazing how much bashing has been going around today in general towards those who don’t share the other’s beliefs. I guess that’s free speech at its finest.

Would love to see our d-line play lights out Monday night. Calais has been lighting it up this year and need something to remedy that 😄.

10. By Dr. G. on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

Dupe

JTDG…Such an interesting twist you take on the riskit/biscuit thing…I agree on your take of some personnel issues from SK. We have all seen SK pass on some “almost can’t miss” picks when drafting, esp. at QB, DE, and LB along with obvious insurance trades…and trading multiple picks just to get more players for the 10 standby PS players. He is not without reasonable success, however.

Always drives me up the wall when they waste time to bring in good TEs just to mostly ignore their offensive potential…just get a damn FB instead if you just want blocking.! At least you’ll have a goal line bull dozer! Sorry, this has been buggin’ me since BA got here…as we watch consistent playoff teams employ this effective TE weapon!

The rest of us take riskit/biscuit as way too much ” long ball, over the top gambling” in double coverage with the little injury-prone speedsters who cannot defend an errant throw to prevent an INT. It’s beautiful when it works, but those plays should be somewhat unpredictable surprises vs routinely readable. ((No, we don’t have a fire plug Antonio Brown who plays faster than his 40 time))

Stop the run…Dallass is done! Double XX! Go Cards! ((missing DJ))

11. By Dr. G. on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

Do I dare enter the fray? Maybe… We are all pink inside.

Eric = you chastise Georgie for posting a correct statement ; who is wrong?

Adam Smith = Astute perspective… Patriotism is on the line these days.

Misrepresentation = the president was addressing his remark “only” to those who disrespect our flag that represents freedom and liberty, not the NFL in general. I believe Goodell exacerbated the issue by entering his commentary.

Food for pause and thought = Are some Educated or Indoctrinated?

Pleas keep my 13 lb. psi footballs separate from politics and religion. I will avoid further comment on this passionate subject. Let’s save the passionate exchange for the opposing fans who dare enter The Birds Nest. ((A lose/lose proposition))

Addendum//Opinion: An employer has a right to govern the commentary of its employees while under its employ. The Arena is no place for political diatribe. Take it elsewhere.

Be well Cards Fans. Go Cards!

12. By Rich on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

I have been a die hard Cardinals fan since the Sun Devil Stadium days, and have been a season ticket holder for a few years… I sincerely hope the Cardinals don’t choose to disrespect Pat Tillman’s sacrifice by protesting during the national anthem, or I will no longer give them any of my time or money. Keep it classy, Cardinals. Just play football!

13. By JTDG on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

Eric G,

For What? What are they taking a knee for? Do you even know?

How about any of them taking a knee are they making their community better?

When Katrina hit, I went down to help, to help rebuild. I slept in a church that was abandoned on a cot and had no hot water to bath. Funny, there was about 100 people helping. All White, everyone of them. Everyone of them. We went into Black neighborhoods and the people I was with were shot at by Black hoods for fixing black neighborhoods. But black lives matter.

I didn’t see one football player down helping . Black lives didn’t matter there.

Funny, I didn’t see Black Lives Matter down helping the people of Beaumont or Port Arthur (which is 90% black) .I lived there and worked and taught/coached there. I helped kids, had them in my house and worked to make a difference. But I saw no NFL players helping. I guess those black lives don’t matter.

I taught 180 kids. I had parent night each year. I never had more than 3 parents come to see how their kids are doing. Three !! Education doesn’t matter when you have a bad life at home and unsafe neighborhood.

I had an OLB, who I liked a lot, who was in jail for stabbing and killing another black kid. He told me it was a drug deal. He served two years and came back on the team. After the football season, he was arrested again. Funny, when you do things wrong, you view the police differently.

Look at Chicago,where 4000 shootings this year, most black on black. Why aren’t these players stopping the violence in Chicago, DC, LA, or other major US cities? Don’t those lives matter. How do you police those kind of war zones?

Oh yes, lets rally behind the thug Mike Brown, who stole and assulted a store owner, then while walking down the middle of the street, attacked a police office and was shot and killed. Or a heroin dealer who is shot down. Yes, these are the guys we should back. Yeah, cops should have just let them go.

No one wants to talk about the truth, do they?
    Truth.
    Poor people commit a lot of the crime. The poorest people in America are single moms. 72% of black children are born out of wedlock, which by definition gives them a greater chance to be in poverty and to commit crime. (according to Don Lemon of CNN) To live in areas of high crime, that police have to patrol and make split decisions on live and death situations. They interact hundreds of times a week. Thousands of times a month, and once every great while, an officer does something wrong.

In college, I was pulled over and had a gun pointed at my head. The police thought I had just stole a car, as my car matched the stolen one. It happens. I listened to everything he said and followed every direction.

But You want to fix police targeting blacks? Instead of taking a knee, why don’t the promote fatherhood. Family values. Stop single moms living in poverty and promote families. Help stop the crime, drugs and shootings in black neighborhoods.

But no, Blame someone or something else. Don’t accept responsibility for your actions. Take knees and do nothing. Split the country. Promote division. But have no solution and do nothing to fix it. Because no one wants to look at the real issues. Hats off to Don Lemon for speaking the truth.

Kneeing, It’s a joke and an insult to all those who hold the Flag as something to be honored. As Nate Boyer said, if the Flag wasn’t considered in such high honor, they wouldn’t drape it across coffins of fallen soldiers.

14. By Richard S on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

I remember years ago, the favored Cowboys playing the St. Louis football Cardinals and I think it was a Monday nite game. The final score was 38-0 in favor of the Cardinals. I think this was when I was in college from 67 to 71 or maybe in high school. It was great. The students in my fraternity ate lunch in suit and ties on Sunday and the first one to the TV set got to decide whether we watched the Chiefs or the Cardinals. I guess that isn’t a problem anymore.

15. By Richard S on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

I think the fans should take a knee in solidarity with the players against the president electoral.

16. By georgiebird on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

@Eric G-
    Guys were taking the knee before Trump was ELECTED- even before TRUMP was a candidate. So what’s your excuse now??????
    It looks like you are probably 100% WRONG.

17. By E.Smith on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

There is a time and place for everything. The football field is not the place for Politics. Pat Tillman was an American First, but he was white. Does Black come before American? Here are just some of the rules NFL puts on players.

“A player’s appearance on the field conveys a message regarding the image of the League and directly affects the League’s reputation and success.”

•Players’ pants must not be altered or cut in any way and must be pulled over the knee.
    •The stockings worn by players must be white from the top of the shoe to mid-calf and an approved team color from mid-calf to the bottom of the pant leg, which is pulled down below the knee.
    •Tape used on shoes and stockings must be black or white to match the selected dominant shoe choice of the club.
    •The team jersey must be tucked in at the waist.
    •Towels must be tucked into the front waist of the pants and are limited to a maximum of 6 inches wide and 8 inches long

18. By JTDG on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

You read the cardinals comments, including BA’s .
    Here are the Dallas Cowboys comments. No wonder they are America’s Team.

First a poll.the question on twitter, how would you feel if your team did not stand for the National Anthem (put out by Dallas newspaper)

I would be disappointed or angry 76.39%

I would support it 15.81%

I wouldn’t care 7.8%

Jason Witten;
    Witten has pointed to a letter that he carries in his backpack. It’s written by University of Texas System Chancellor Bill McRaven. Garrett has acknowledged reading it.
    A retired Navy Admiral who was the architect of the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, McRaven urged his athletes to stand for the anthem, according to The Texas Tribune.
    “While no one should be compelled to stand, they should recognize that by sitting in protest to the flag they are disrespecting everyone who sacrificed to make this country what it is today — as imperfect as it might be,” he wrote in August.

Dez Bryant
    “I’m not criticizing nobody,” Bryant said of the growing number of NFL players who don’t stand for the national anthem. “They’re free to do whatever they want. Hell no, I’m not doing none of that. Their beliefs are their beliefs, and I’m not saying they’re wrong because they’re feeling a certain way. They’re supposed to.
    “I’m just saying OK, I want to lead by example by doing positive. I’m not saying what they’re doing is wrong. I just have my ways of going about things.”

Jason Garrett
    “We’re so fortunate to live in the country that we live in.”It’s a great tradition. It’s a great song. In a lot of cases it can become an emotional situation for all of us. You think about all the people who have fought for our country and allowed us to raise that flag as proudly as we do, to live in the greatest land in the world. It’s a special moment for all of us. We want to make sure we handle it the right way.”

Dak Prescott
    “I mean, it’s bigger than I think some of us think,” he said. “It’s just important for me to go out there, hand over my heart, represent our country and just be thankful and not take anything I’ve been given and my freedom for granted.”

Darren Mcfadden
    “For us as a team, that’s something that we take pride in, so you know we want to go out there and do it the right way and just handle ourselves like we should,” McFadden said.

And Of Course, Jerry Jones;
    “I just feel so strongly that the act of recognizing the flag is a salute to our country and all of the people that have sacrificed so that we can have the liberties we have,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan’s Shan and RJ show [KRLD-FM]. “I feel very strongly that everyone should save that moment for the recognition of the flag in a positive way, so I like the way the Cowboys do it.”

19. By Scott H on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

To get back to football, here is what I’m seeing around the NFL today – chaos! I’m seeing teams that have looked awful getting back on track and teams that looked solid so far falling off. It seems like you can count on the Patriots. Period. Oh, and probably the Chiefs.

But I’m seeing the Bengals, the Colts, the Saints looking like they’ve come out of their comas. Even the Giants….they lost the game ( on a very un-likely FG from a rookie kicker ) but they still found some offense and some big play ability in doing so. I think their D got gassed in that heat today, being on the field as much as they did today. The 49er’s too. The Vikings looked good with a back-up QB. And, my God, when you see CASE KEENUM throw for a bunch of yards and 3TD’s….it sets you up to lose your friggin mind if you see your veteran QB throw more INT’s than TD’s. Again.

So….this theme of teams that have played poorly so far playing much better in Week 3…..it makes ya wonder just which of these two teams, Cards or Cowboys, will join that list on Monday Night. Because they BOTH need to. I mean….no one is buried / finished at 1-2, but….it sure can FEEL like it based on how a team looks after 3 games.

On a previous blog, someone mentioned that both of these teams showed very poor effort in Week 2 but what immediately came to my mind was that the Cowboys were on the road against the Broncos and a defense that looked simply dominant. I felt like that needed to be taken into consideration. Can’t say I feel like the Cowboys gave poor effort. I DID feel like the Broncos were playing at a level that would have been hard for ANYONE to beat that day.

But the Cardinals? Against the Colts??? And we were trailing by two scores in the 4th quarter? To quote the great Jim Mora – You Kiddin’ me?” Yes, that WAS a very poor showing by the Cardinals in terms of effort.

And THAT is what I feel like Monday night is going to be all about. Effort. A pulse.
    If we see the same lazy, flat, in-efficient team tomorrow that we’ve seen in the first 2 weeks….forget it. When you’ve played bad football for 3 weeks to start a season, that is what you are – a bad football team. And it’s gonna be time to start kidding ourselves and making excuses.

Plain and simple – put up or shut up.

20. By Scott H on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

Man, what a colossal typo that was….obviously, at the end of my last post, I meant to say it’s gonna be time to STOP kidding ourselves and making excuses.

Interesting comments on the other issue….which, BTW, I can appreciate and do not mind being a part of this blog.

There are different angles to take on this whole thing. And I guess that IS a part of the overall problem, that we are not all on the same page. Different things are important to different people.

I was at an event today that was held at a Veteran’s Memorial Home and it was being held to benefit the vets – the men that devoted their lives to protecting this country and made great sacrifices in the process. For myself, both my grandfather and my dad served in the army and I am very proud of both of them for doing so. I know how proud my dad was for having served, how important that was to him.

Anyway, at one point, someone took the mic and made it a point to point out how in the process of protesting during the national anthem, NFL players are dis-respecting the veterans who have died while serving their country, they should be ashamed of themselves, and they hoped people would, in turn, stop supporting the NFL by watching the games. And I gotta admit, I found myself feeling offended by the protesting, too. In so far as it is a show of dis-respect to our veterans? Yeah, I think it’s wrong.

I took note of how Villanueva – while the rest of his Steelers teammates protested – stood for the anthem alone. And I thought that was the greatest moment the NFL has seen in a long time. I was VERY proud of him for doing what he did because of what HE believed in, which was obviously something more important than football and locker room comraderie. AND I wonder what it was WAS like in that locker room for that team today.

Anyway….just another person’s view.

21. By havasu tom on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

When a player walks into the stadium and he’s getting a paycheck thanks to the american people, they should respect the flag. Do what ever you want once you leave the parking lot. I suggest you support your communities that are a mess and make a difference with the abilities god give you.

22. By Eric G on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

Dynosaur,

The problem is that Trump condemned people exercising free speech condemning police brutality and called them “sons of bitches” while calling for them to be fired. On the same hand, he calls bigots, racists “very good people” and nowhere near had the same condemnation of the coward that killed an American, refusing to call him a terrorist. Fact is, you only have a right to protest and exercise free speech if you are white and have the same views as he does. Trump is a coward who takes purple hearts from those who earned it, assails gold star families, and mocks the disabled. He has done nothing but set America back 80 years and made Americans the laughing stock of the world. Fact is, he stuck his nose in sports and sports has the right to fight back. As the saying goes, don’t start no s__t, won’t be no s__t.

23. By faster on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

as an european citizen i will not comment on your problems with fascists and their fascination with patriotism.

but let me tell you a story, not so long ago some polish …. went bonkers in some chess forums, because a polish citizen had played well at chess, and gained enough points to get in the exclusive 2700 club (about 50 players at the wolrd do it).
    and i asked them then, why do they claim his performance for them?

first, he did not chose his country, that were his parents.
    and second, his performance was not influenced by his country, it was solely his.

maybe you can help me, i did not get a answer ……

24. By D on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

Good job and Thank You Capt. Alejandro Villanueva.
    Of all the NFL teams, the AZ players should realize the sacrifices of our men and women in uniform since they walk daily past a shrine to Pat Tillman at the office.

25. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

Dr G is generally right on workplace law. As former General and Special Counsel, I advised and had occasion to supervise litigation on such issues. I’m sure Mr Bidwill is well informed/advised, but just fwyi, fwiw:

Free speech, contrary to BA’s proclamation, is not unlimited in the workplace, which includes the field and stadium on game day. If one pressures others to conform to their political expression, or simply is overbearing in expressing to their political views, or simply makes another in the workplace uncomfortable due to pressure (can be religious, political, sexual orientation, etc) then both the employee and employer who fostered or enabled that hostile work environment can be liable for substantial damages. Even the EEOC can bring actions. Villanueva was pressured today by Steelers coach to stay in the locker room during the anthem, and refused. He is now subject to ridicule by others. that’s an actionable case; a jury could make him rich esp if he gets cut later…

The NFL’s bigger issue is public relations however. NFL has been a safe haven for staying out of politics for a period of escape and bonding with other fans with whom you can just avoid that topic. We all know many players, media and reporters lean pretty hard left, but we don’t care except in case where its rubbed in our faces like by ESPN. But I suspect maybe half or more season ticket holders are GOP or closet Trump supporters. Those people revere the Flag.

My prayer tonight to the Holy Spirit is Mike Bidwill gets his guys to express their political views, away from the workplace. If they disrespect Pat Tillman’s surviving spouse, i personally may not be able to forgive that…

26. By JTDG on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

Eric G

What have you done to make a difference besides posting stupid anti Trump postings on facebook?

Truth ;

Under Obama, Black incomes from 2009 to 2014 fell more for blacks than any other racial or ethnic group.

While Trump is delivering positive results. The black unemployment rate has fallen by a full percentage point in the last year, black labor force participation is up, and the number of black Americans with a job has risen by 600,000 from last year. Preliminary data show black wages and incomes up since the election.

To take it a step further, Starting this spring into the summer, African-American unemployment under Trump dropped to the lowest levels in almost 20 years. As of the end of July, the black-vs.-white employment gap is the smallest it’s been since April 2000, Mind you, the 7.4 percent black unemployment rate is still higher than the 3.8 percent white unemployment rate, but considering how bad things were throughout most of the Great Recession, this is good news.

Trump is pushing for school choice, which would allow blacks to choose their school, giving them the ability to have a better education. After all, Why does Barack Obama get to send his kids to private schools, but we can’t have a choice?

So, do you want a President, like the last 44, who give you nice lines and speeches, say the right thing, but do nothing for blacks or do you want a President, who says some things that are very questionable, but is finding blacks jobs and giving them school choice?

Maybe if the bias media told the truth, you would know this.

27. By JTDG on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

One more thing about this horrible display in the NFL on Sunday;

Alejandro Villanueva of the Steelers. An Army Ranger, who has served, I believe 3 tours. A true American hero.

This act, said to be an act of unity, left an American Hero to honor his flag and country by himself. Not one Steeler could come out and show unity with this hero. They left him standing in a tunnel by himself while players who took a knee had players with hands on their shoulders.

Yes, you get support and unity as long as you support our side, right.

28. By JTDG on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

I just sold my tickets for Monday Night. I also placed all my tickets on NFL exchange.

If you want to sit on the 50, 5 rows up, go buy them.

29. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

As they say, any given Sunday.

At one point in the Raiders game, it was 436 total yards to 71. The Raiders only finished with over 100 yards because the Redskins allowed a couple first downs after turning the ball over on downs (instead of kicking a meaningless FG) with about a minute to go.

Baltimore got absolutely waxed by Jacksonville. The Steelers lost to the Bears. The 0-2 Saints ripped apart the 2-0 Panthers — on the road.

And Houston could’ve easily beaten NE. I told my son that Houston should go for it on 4th and 1 up by 2. I said, there’s over 2 minutes to go — you give the ball to Tom Brady with every set of downs being 4 down territory and your odds of stopping him are very slim. And I was right… I think they had a much better chance of winning the game by going for it.

Anyway, I don’t know what all the craziness means, but maybe — just maybe — with the Steelers losing as a 7-point favorite in Chicago, the Raiders losing (badly) as a 3-point favorite in Washington, Miami losing (badly) as a 6-point favorite in NY against a team that people were thinking might go 0-16, and Denver losing as a favorite in Buffalo, people will be reminded that winning on the road is hard in the NFL. We definitely didn’t play well against the Colts, but as I’ve said before, we played better than the final score showed — our D definitely showed up, and our O had some good drives that ended with a turnover in one case and an ill-fated play call on 4th and goal from the 1. We had a huge advantage in total yards that didn’t show up in points, but we escaped with a win.

If the Cardinals right the ship against Dallas, I can forgive the way they played against the Colts. And Detroit too — they are showing themselves to be a real contender… they were literally inches away from beating the defending NFC champs on that final play where the receiver was (correctly) ruled down on review short of the goal line. There’s no shame in losing to Detroit on the road.

So yeah, this game will tell us a lot about the season.

30. By Chris G. on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

What a pleasure it was tonight to see “The Hogs 2.0” take it to the Raiders. I hope Mr. Keim was watching and learning what a dominant O-line can do for the success of a football team. I also decided to start watching the games after the opening kick off. The politics in my football problem is solved. I guess I will find out what The Cardinals decide to do on Tuesday. GO CARDS!!

31. By dynosoar on Sep 24, 2017 | Reply

Eric G,

nah, I’ll save my breath.

32. By Dan on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Solution to NFL Problem…………leave player in the locker room, politics has no place in sports………play the National Anthem before they come out or don’t play it all. Black people boycotting, Veterans boycotting, white people boycotting tired of seeing and hearing it……..truthfully more veteran\s and white people are boycotting than blacks in numbers……….simple solution.

33. By Dan on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

leave teams in locker room………play Anthem for the fans. Politics don’t belong in sports……..period……….thats why we watch sports.

34. By Dan on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

The more players kneel the less people u will see in the stadiums……..thats what been happening……..not cuz people boycottting for Kaepernick……blacks actually think it because of them……nope, cuz rest of the population is tired of it.

35. By Dan on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

When those players walk by the Pat Tillman locker and kneel then u better take down that statue and rename the plaza, cuz u can throw your support out the window……..and thats a fact.

36. By Scott H on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

And for what it’s worth, I state this clearly – I have NO problem with people protesting Donald Trump and his comments / actions since he has been in office.

NONE. I understand that THAT was the intended target of much of the protesting that went on today in stadiums around the league. And I would HAPPILY make a show of protest against that.

But here’s the problem – when you choose to do that bt dis-respecting the flag…..no, that I will NOT do. I think there can and should be a way to protest the statements / actions of an individual without dis-respecting the nation’s flag.

IMHO, the flag stands for something – and it AIN’T Donald Trump.

I’m treading lightly here but I’m just trying to make a point – protesting Trump by dis-respecting the flag is like firing into a crowd to try to hit one person. You really can’t do it without hurting other people. And that would make that a very poor way to achieve what you’re trying to achieve.

Trump was a poor choice to lead this country. But I’m not going to dis-respect the country’s flag – something I am very proud of and something that means so much to ME – to protest him. I’ll find another way to do that.

And in so far as the players were showing their protest of Trump and HIS recent comments, I DO understand why they are upset and I DO respect their need to respond to that in a way that says that is not acceptable and we’re not going to stand for that. No pun intended.

There is one more game to be played as part of what has been an un-precedented week in the NFL. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

I have to say, I kinda liked what I saw both the Redskins and the Raiders doing last night. Because everyone was there together BUT it looked like everyone was doing what he needed to do as an individual. Redskins were in a line with arms locked or joined hands, some were standing, some were kneeling, and I saw a few people with their hands over their hearts. And, well….IMHO, that is how it should be.

On the other side, it looked like Carr was standing behind his teammates, no hand on his heart, but appearing to be praying as the anthem was being sung. And I thought that was OK, too.

There is just no easy answer to this and maybe no ONE way that is going to work for everyone. But in a country where there is freedom of speech…..isn’t that what we should expect? Isn’t that what it was all about in the first place?

37. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Read Mike B’s statement. About to turn a sow’s ear into a silk purse. Brilliant, fingers crossed. Beat Cowboys’ ass, we are America’s team.

38. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

JTDG – take those posted tickets for sale down! ;). Mike B is about to make a u-turn for the league with Jerry J…this may be a salute America game and the drama should subside….

39. By dynosoar on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

JTDG,

will you keep your tickets if the Cardinals do not take a knee and do not link arms?
    I still believe in our team that has stood firm all this time. We’ll see tonight if my faith is well placed.

EVERYONE,

I’m hoping our team will stand tall and in the spirit of Pat Tillman offer a trade or something to get Alejandro Villanueva a spot on our 53 man roster.

Trust! Loyalty! Respect!

I do believe there is oppression from all sides and it shouldn’t be as We Are All One Race – Humans! But too many want a win lose in life which means everyone loses. We need to seek Win-Wins always.

Based on our honoring Pat Tillman and the comments by the Cowboys, we may be the only game this week and the one most likely to be watched where the Players on both sides honor the flag and seek an honorable place to raise issues.

“It’s not about the protest and the issue it raises, it’s all about the way you are doing it. Has anything changed since Kaepernick first took a knee and disrespected the flag that represents a nation that has overcome slavery and segregation to allow everyone to succeed? No. The only thing that’s changed is he and others have made people angry because of disrespecting our nation. A nation where people have died to make these changes.” Brandon Tatum

Cardinals players and staff, please honor the flag. Honor our nation. Honor Pat Tillman. Honor your fans. Most of all, honor yourselves by honoring your nation. Sing the Star Spangled Banner with hands over hearts, The Cowboys (if the reports are accurate) will be doing so.

If we want discourse on how to resolve issues such as police shootings of innocents (and let’s face it, not all these shootings have been innocents, but too many have been.) Then let’s have that discussion, but disrespecting the flag that is not in any way a part of the issue at hand is disrespectful to yourselves and our nation.

I’ll be watching and hoping and praying tonight. For our team and our nation. This is my country ad we are all one race. Instead of disrespect which just angers people and is a win-lose at nest and most likely a lose-lose,

let’s find the win-win. (And a win against the Cowboys as well.)

40. By Frank Smitherton on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

Thank you. I have enjoyed reading your posts for I can’t remember how long now. I haven’t agreed with everything you have written but hey, this is the USA right? You have the courage of your convictions, a rare blessing these days. I hate to see you give up those seats. I won’t be buying them, even if I had a million bucks.

I’ve been a Cards fan since they moved to the Valley. Gave my wife (a bigger fan than I am) a Badger game worn jersey for her Christmas present.

But, I’m probably gone from the NFL for good now. I just know some Cardinal player(s) will do something stupid tonight.

If I come back (which I doubt), there is this: I have to admit that I have hated the Cowboys since Jerry Jones bought the team, because he is such a huge jerk, but I will come back as a Cowboys fan. Why? Because of your post about the Cowboys and their patriotism (unlike that of Bidwill, Arians, Humphreys, etc., all of whom I’m sure are very nice folks but they just don’t get it.).

This is my first and last post here. So thanks again, and to you, and other Cards fans who can appreciate you, sayonara, adieu, adios, aloha, arrivederci, auf Wiedersehen, au revoir, bye, bye-bye, cheerio, cheers, ciao, farewell, goodbye, good day, shalom, so long, tot ziens.

So very sad.

41. By mitchaz on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

5 Question Areas: Cardinals Vs. Cowboys

1. Tackling RB Ezekiel Elliott.

Will the Cardinals wear, as James Bettcher like to say, “their big boy pants?” Will any Cardinal line up and hit Elliott the way D.J. Swearinger (defensive captain of the Redskins) put a lick on Marshawn Lynch last night? in general, which team will tackle better?

2. Blocking DE DeMarcus Lawrence.

In watching the Cowboys’ first two games, Lawrence has lined up primarily on the outside eye of the RT and he has been wreaking havoc off the edge and off loop stunts. A one-on-one matchup versus RT Jared Veldheer does not favor Veldheer. Therefore, what kind of help will the coaches give Veldheer? BA is loath to provide help, but does Lawrence change that line of thinking, particularly versus a struggling Veldheer?

3. Pass Coverages and Matchups

What are the coverage matchups and how often will Bettcher mix in zone? It would appear pretty certain that Patrick Peterson will be matched on Dez Bryant and that Tyrann Mathieu will be matched on slot WR Cole Beasley. Terrance Williams has been battling an ankle injury, but he did practice on Saturday. Justin Bethel should be matched on Williams. But, perhaps the most key matchup is the trio of Haason Reddick, Karlos Dansby and Tyvon Branch on TE Jason Witten. As for mixing in zones…that’s a tough proposition because the Cowboys’ receivers are adept at beating zones, particularly Bryant, Beasley and Witten. Pressure on young QB Dak Prescott is paramount, as is keeping him hemmed in the pocket. Will the Cardinals be able to limit Prescott’s effectiveness?

4. The Cardinals Passing Game

Can Carson Palmer and the Cardinals exploit the Cowboys’ secondary? Much will depend on the pass protection. But, the Cowboys’ secondary had a rough time handling the Broncos’ passing game, often because of Trevor Siemien’s mobility. Obviously, Palmer will have to try to beat the Cowboys’ secondary from the pocket or off of play action (which may be harder to see if the running game is not clicking). The question too is how healthy the Cardinals WR unit is with John Brown out, J.J. Nelson nursing a hamstring injury and Jaron Brown leaving the Colts’ game with a limp. Could we see more from Fitz, Brittan Golden and Chad Williams? Or will we see more attention paid to the TEs (Gresham, Niklas, Momah) and RBs (Johnson, Williams, Ellington) in the passing game this week?

5. Special Teams

Who wins the ST’s battle in this game? It would appear heading into the game that the Cowboys have the advantage. K Dan Bailey is 5/5 FGs and 3/3 XPTs, while K Phil Dawson is 4/6 and 3/3. P Chris Jones averages 43.1/net 40.8, while P Andy Lee averages 46.2/net 38.3. KR/PR Ryan Switzer: 2 KOs/21.0 ave., 2 PRs/9.5 ave. Kerwynn Williams: 4 KOs/20.3 ave., 2 PRs/3.0 ave. Will the Cardinals’ STs take a big step forward this week?

42. By dynosoar on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

See this Re-tweet by President Trump

Ⓙay‏ @jayMAGA45 21h21 hours ago
    NFLplayer PatTillman joined U.S. Army in 2002. He was killed in action 2004. He fought 4our country/freedom. #StandForOurAnthem #BoycottNFL

I don’t agree with everything any President has said or done and I don’t disagree with everything any President has said or done (I even have problems with some things President Lincoln did)

But I so agree with this re-tweet. I’ll Always Stand for Our Anthem (We’ll see about the boycott. But hey, if there’s a boycott will the USFL come back. The Generals were my favorite team back then, they could come back.)

Pat Tillman is one of ours. He would have stood for the anthem even if it was by himself like Villanueva did. How long will our servicemen and servicewomen continue to unfurl the United Sates flag during the anthem if players continue to take a knee?

Stand up and make a positive difference. This kneeling is disrespectful and divisive, there is no unity to be had in this.

United we STAND, Divided we fall!
    This is about our Nation.
    Pleas find a different means and venue for protesting (and freedom of speech to me means discourse and discussion, not protest.)

I’m out.

Cardinals vs. Cowboys.
    I hope instead it’s
    Cardinals united with Cowboys all standing and singing with hands over hearts.

43. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Dyno —

RE: Tillman

How do you know what Pat would’ve done?

44. By Sir60 on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

I think taking a knee during the Anthem is very hypocritical. It’s meant to be a protest against the country that has provided them with the opportunity to succeed and protest.
    They say that black people are unfairly targeted by police, but when Michel Brown was asked to stop, why didn’t he stop? Freddy Gray in Baltimore is another example. Eric Garner in New York selling black market cigarettes refused to comply with police instructions. Are the police not supposed to stop people suspected of committing crimes?
    If I’m driving down the street with a pound of crack in a plastic bag in the back seat and a policeman turns on his lights and siren, the last thing I do is run. I pull over and stop. All of those men could be alive today if they had stopped when the police requested it and all the protest that turned into riots with looting and destruction of personal property would never have happened. The police are the authority on the street.
    In Baltimore, 40 to 60 percent of the small businesses, looted and damaged, never re-opened. The riots and looting cost 4.7 million dollars. Freddy Grays’ family received a settlement of 6.2 million dollars. That’s almost 11 million dollars because Freddy Gray ran when a police officer approached him. The Michel Brown incident cost his life and 5.7 million because he refused to comply. If a suspect doesn’t comply with police instructions, what are the police supposed to do, let the suspect go?
    I think there is a time and place for protest and it is not during the national anthem at a sporting event.

45. By JTDG on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Adam Smith

Here is my issue. My Dad served this country for 50 years. He was there for Korea and Vietnam. He loves this country. When I was born, my dad was shipped out for 9 months. My cousins didn’t have my uncle come back. My Mother sacrificed, raising 5 boys on her own, while he was serving the country. My Dad made so little money, he took odd jobs in the evenings. My Mom refused to buy things for herself, to make sure her kids had the things we needed.

What I am watching is an absolute disrespect to the sacrifices that my Father and Uncles and others went through so these spoiled rich players can play a game.
    That is not negotiable to me. I don’t care your cause. I don’t want to hear your reasons. You stand for the Flag. Show honor to those who gave so much. There are walls with names on it of Soldiers who gave it all and you can’t take two minutes to stand?

To hell with the NFL and every player who supports them kneeling. But what’s worse, to hell with the Steelers who left Alejandro Villanueva standing by himself. A man who earned a Bronze Star and served 3 tours and his teammates decided to be selfish and leave a man who gave so much to salute his flag by himself. Their coach said we stayed in the locker room for unity. Really? Why not come out and stand with an American Hero to show unity ?

The NFL is a bunch of Divisive clowns. What is there endgame? Do they have one? We have some saying stop playing the National Anthem. Some saying leave the players in the locker room. Is that your endgame? Because if black lives mattered, you would do as MLK did and go to where blacks live. He went there and prayed in neighborhoods and made a showing that blacks killing blacks needs to stop. But that doesn’t fit the liberal agenda. They are all about blaming others. What is there endgame with cops? Don’t have them go into black neighborhoods? Is that what they want? It is stupid what they are doing and self serving.

So declare war on the Flag to prevent what? Sorry, these idiots don’t deserve anymore of my money.

46. By JTDG on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Frank Smitherton

Well said

47. By Jacob Hewitt on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

I say Final Score for Cowboys Cardinals

Cardinals 14 Cowboys 32 I wish the cardinals luck but they way they have been playing sucked and yes I’m pulling for the cardinals

48. By Eric G on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

jtdg,
    You sold your tickets? Some fan you are. It’s called freedom of speech, the first amendment, look into it. The players have that right to it and they exercised it. You clearly get your opinions from faux news and you are nothing more than an indoctrinated talking point. Perhaps had those in Boston should have stayed home on December 16, 1773 rather than protest. But hey, you’re right, guess Tillman died for nothing. Without free speech, Tillman and all of the brave men, women, gays, transgenders etc that died fighting for freedom died for nothing. You probably drape yourself and your truck in flags but you have no idea what patriotism and America really is. It’s sad really. Go watch Nascar.

49. By dynosoar on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

I can only judge by the experience of the past. You are correct that I don’t KNOW what Pat Tillman would have done. I will correct my words that based on what he did on the past, I BELIEVE he would have stood, hand over heart and sung the National Anthem.

You’r right, I don’t know, but I believe and the past is all I can use to predict the future. He left an NFL dream of his and a contract to go with it to stand in a warzone. That’s all I have to go on.

Mad respect to you and everyone here. Waiting to see how this plays out tonight.
    Go Cardinals!

50. By dynosoar on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Eric G,

If you so hate what we have to say on this site and the Cardinals in general, there are 29 other teams that took a knee and are on your side. Go support them. I say 29 because the Panthers stood, all except one and I yes, he had that right, but don’t cry when consequences follow.

I can say JTDG has shown more honor in any one sentence of his posts than you’ve shown in all yours. I expect more from your discussin as youu’ve contributed more for a long time. (I also understand and recognize this issue is very strong and important for you.) We’re calling for respect, what’s your endgame? Please realize disrespect is a win-lose at best which means someone loses.

Please join with us, realize that the injustices that are supposedly wrong and being protested are being protested by dishonoring America by taking a knee during the anthem, it’s the wrong form of protest fro two wrongs don’t make a right. And the result is not the unity being sought, it’s angering people and no one is discussing the important issue of how to become united as one human race with respect for everyone. Instead the discussion is around the form of protest.

It’s disagreeable and someone once said “We can disagree without being disagreeable.”

You could leave to another team that shares your current view of kneeling, But I Cry Out – Stay a Cardinals fan and realize JTDG is spot on. Realize standing for the anthem is a win-win and it’s time we stop the division and become what we are, One Race, the Human Race. And stand One Nation and One Race Under God, United.

Please see this kneeling for what it is, a way to divide our Nation. We need to resolve issues Unitedly as a Nation and when we follow Kaepernick’s example of “I will not support this nation as long as trhese injustices occur” then we stop supporting the nation that lifted us out of slavery and segregation.

Football unites, and this whole issue divides.
    Let’s get back to uniting for United we STAND, Divided we fall.

51. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

So here’s what I find interesting.

A lot of people are saying something to the effect that the players who choose to be activists should do so on their own time, not during the Anthem or whatever. I keep hearing mantras like, “Keep politics out of football.”

And yet here we are, on the day of a huge game for the Cardinals, and the majority of what I’m reading in Darren’s weekly “Friday before…” [in this case Saturday before…] is about politics.

So — whether you agree or disagree with the protesters’ actions, you have to acknowledge one thing: they have been effective at sparking a dialogue. We even have at least one long-time season-ticket holder indicating he’s putting his tickets up for sale — and I’m sure there are other ticket holders doing the same, even if they don’t post here. I still remember watching Suns’ ticket holders rip up their tickets live on the news because they didn’t like the way the Suns came out against HB 1070 (or whatever the law was called).

So, if nothing else, you have to acknowledge the protesters are, in fact, being successful at calling attention to the issues. Whether it’s ultimately in their interests or not, is a different question — they might be poisoning just enough fans that they will realize down the road that they bit the hand that feeds them. But by the time that impact is felt broadly, most of the current players will have made their millions and be out of football.

52. By dynosoar on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Daren,

mad respect for allowing this discussion.

JTDG,

man I know more about you than I’ve learned in the past nine years here. I wish more than ever I could’ve found you when I went to that game two seasons ago. Be well and watch tonight, I feel we are going to see two teams and two teams only this week who are united and not divided. I’ve been wrong before, but let’s watch and wait and see.

Now that along with what Villanueva did would be more powerful than everything that happened yesterday.

(Well, so much for staying out of this discussion, but I’d be in the wrong if I didn’t say something. We are one race, let’s start acting like it. One for all and all for one. United we stand, divided we fall. Let’s unite.)

53. By Frank Smitherton on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

First, please ignore if possible the hateful and misguided comments from the “Eric G’s” of the world. One day they might awake from their dream state.

Second, thank you for the “well said” but it is not deserved. You are very eloquent, passionate, and most of all, patriotic, a fact apparently lost on many readers. The essence of all these actions, words, and drama of the past few days is lost on many. The essence should be country, God and country. I don’t see the word football in there.

The “Eric G’s” of the world cry free speech. Guess what, free speech doesn’t extend to the workplace. Check it out, Eric G., if you know how. The “Eric G’s” whitewash it all and seem to actually believe that anything that one says, i.e., “free speech,” is to be revered, believed, and unchallenged. And yes, overpaid and overappreciated athletes that you are, you are employees, and the football field is a workplace.

Finally, who cares who wins the game tonight in relation to where football fits in the grand scheme of things, or the universe? What is more important: freedom, liberty, allegiance to one’s country (the best ever, albeit not perfect, which country has ever been better?), adherence to one’s beliefs (and giving up tickets, something that the Eric G’s of the world will never understand) or football, a child’s game, overcome now by greed and dissention, really never to recover?

Yes, very very sad.

P.S. I really did mean my first and last post from a while ago to be my last. I just couldn’t bear to let the comments from “Eric G” go rewarded.

54. By clssylssy on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

As I believed Scott pointed out, not all records are equal (hmm), Dallas’s loss to Denver hardly compares to our loss to the Lions or near-loss to the Colts. But, everybody has an off day, and we saw many of those yesterday, when I suspect players had their hearts and minds elsewhere. Nonetheless, the game tonight “could” go either way. I BELIEVE, the Cardinals have the ability to pull and upset but, for whatever reasons, have just not had their heart in their game. Perhaps this could be THE game when the Cowboys take the field, all full of themselves and totally distracted by how wonderful they are for dodging suspensions and believing themselves “America’s Team” and the Cardinals are able to find unity in a larger purpose,
    As BA would say, “Hold ***t”, I thought I’d about heard or seen it all! Do people not REALLY get it? This is not about the flag or the anthem, but about FREEDOM.
    The flag and the anthem are symbols, just like the cross and people have been kneeling for hundreds of years before kings, in church, etc. and it has not been considered offensive. What really should offend and frighten us is a person in power deliberately trying to divide our country,targeting our citizens while abusing the power of his office, alienating our allies, provoking and engaging foreign powers in a game of nuclear chicken, while trying to deny basic human services to our citizens in our healthcare. Do we as a country, not have more important things to put our energies toward? For the president to take shots at professional athletes and professional sports is also striking at a huge revenue source–it does not even make good business sense.
    Did Marie Tillman come out with a statement I missed? I don’t think so, but as Kent Sommers said, what would anger Pat Tillman would be that so many people have assumed to know what he would be thinking or was in his heart.
    Back in the day, players didn’t come out of the tunnel until after the anthem and in many countries, the national anthem is only played at international events like the Olympics.
    I respect the heck out of many of you on this thread but, do you hear youselves?Players across the board in Professional Sports do more to help their communities, fund scholarships, put on kids clinics, support our troops, help the disadvantaged in starving and war torn countries, than alot of white privileged individuals could do but don’t.
    Dale Earnheart Jr.’s post on Twitter was about the best I’ve seen:
    “All Americans R granted rights 2 peaceful protest. Those who make peaceful protest ewvolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitible”–.JFK
    “One nation, with liberty and justice for all”…that is what the peaceful protest is about; to remind us that we need to think about that and do some work to that end.

55. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

as evidenced by the comments on this blog, trump is divisive and his comments, unnecessary in my opinion, and the reaction to them have caused some of you a lot of anguish…even resulting in forever fan JTDG deciding not to attend any Cardinals games for the rest of this year and perhaps next year and beyond. trump has turned NFL football into a popularity contest whereby some players (and fans too, i suppose) will choose to not stand simply to show that they oppose trump. this has become a circus and has deteriorated to the point where many fans, including me, won’t bother to watch. i think this is only going to get worse.

56. By Stephen Schooley on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

I’d watch Cowboys as they are real men who follow the rules and respect the USA, however the Cardinals my home team chose politics , won’t watch. Done

57. By relaytv on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

We know what Pat Tillman would d,o because of what he did do.

Shame on you.

I could go on for pages explaining what a die-hard fan of the Cardinals I am, how much money I’ve spent supporting the team, and how I’ve agonized over this situation for the last 2 years.

But no more.

If any of the Cardinals do not stand for the Anthem, I will never support this organization again.

Ever.

My family has sacrificed too much.

NFL kneelers = cowards.

58. By Eric G on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

One last thing: Let’s Go Cardinaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaals! Kick the Cowpies’ @$$es.

59. By Dr. G. on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Well, as I read some of the players quotes and a few spectator comments, it becomes obvious that many unknowingly apply the old axiom to themselves =

“”If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.”” ((or should we say “”kneel”” for anything)).

Again, Educated or Indoctrinated? Look in the mirror! Accept facts and truth and ignore manipulative innuendo intended to create manipulative division. It is destructive and makes people appear ignorant.

I am going to eat my sombrero if Fitz and some of the solid citizens of the team join the fray tonight…hoping none of them are indoctrinated with this recent naive poison.

Be well Cards Fans….saddle the Cowboys!!

60. By Kevin S Mesa on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Interestingly, I also just read that while ratings were down for yesterday’s games, ratings were UP for the pregame shows — suggesting that fans wanted to hear what the “talking heads” had to say about the political stances being taken by the players.

People always blame the media for over-covering some stories and not covering others enough, but I’ve always maintained that at the end of the day, the media gives the public what the public wants.

61. By michael on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

For anyone referencing Pat Tillman, please, watch the film “The Tillman Story.” Take whatever side you choose on this issue, but after viewing the film, you’ll learn that the last thing Pat Tillman would have wanted was his name being used to prop up anyone else’s beliefs besides his own.

And with that, GO CARDS

62. By clssylssy on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

And to JTDG…
    I respect the heck out of your football knowledge but really, do you hear yourself?
    Was that a humble brag I heard mixed into your racist stereotyping? There are bad apples out there even amongst the priviliged. While you were volunteering during Katrina would you have recognized an NFL player helping out who wasn’t wearing a jersey?
    I’m sure we all have very personal reasons that shape our views and politics but I doubt that you are the only one on this thread who have vetrans in your family or have suffered losses of loved ones in service of their country.
    The men in my family (and some of the women) also have a proud history of serving, I have an uncle who was a Nazi POW survivor so, you can see I too have a very personal gut reaction when the president supports Nazi’s and defends the Stars’n’Bars then has the nerve to call these men “Son of a *****Hes” I find it difficult to be lectured to by a draft dodger on the subject of patriotism! My dad enlisted on two separate occasion in WWII and then worked his entire career in public service as a fire fighter and first responder before being a Fire Chief. My family is full of law enforcement and firemen veterans who would all say that while they may not agree with a person’s views/politics/protests, they would defend their right to do so.
    Perhaps we just need a quiet moment of prayer or reflection as an expression of freedom, I don’t know.
    On the other hand, have you ever noticed how many use this time to go to the refresment stand and go to the bathroom?

63. By Scott H on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

And again, to try to get back to football, but to continue on the topic of protest….we need to see this Cardinals team get their asses in gear and show us there is a reason to believe. And if I don’t see that tonight, there is gonna be a whole different kind of protest starting tomorrow morning!

64. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

We know what Pat Tillman would do because he told us: took an oath, pledged allegiance, and died for that oath:

Oath of Enlistment

I, Patrick Tillman, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

(Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

Ranger Creed
    Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of the Rangers.

Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite Soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move further, faster and fight harder than any other Soldier.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be, one-hundred-percent and then some.

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained Soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor.

Rangers lead the way!

Soldier’s Creed
    I am an American Soldier.

I am a warrior and a member of a team.

I serve the people of the United States, and live the Army Values.

I will always place the mission first.

I will never accept defeat.

I will never quit.

I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills.

I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.

I am an expert and I am a professional.

I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy, the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.

I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

I am an American Soldier.

To think that Pat Tillman would not stand for the National Anthem and salute is heresy. Do you really want to argue the point?

65. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

DTL —

RE: Tillman

Pat was a hero, and he fought for this country and he believed in this country.

He also believed in many viewpoints and I do not think anyone truly knows how he would’ve handled this:

66. By Frank Smitherton on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Hi Darren & Co.,

Thanks ever so much for not publishing my last post re: JTDG and also for not publishing my friend Larry Lindsay’s post from earlier today (oops, sarcasm).

For you to say: who knows what Pat would think or do – is pretty disgusting. So, let’s see, would he:

!. Take a knee – nope.
    2. Sit – absolutely not
    3. Link arms -nope
    4. Suggest that everyone drink a beer with him, as his brother once did – nope
    5. Tell everyone to take a poop on Darren – maybe (hopefully?).
    6. Put his hand on his heart, sing the anthem, and love America – probably

You and your “Arizona Cardinals Football Club” will end up on the ashheap of history. I won’t be here to see it but I hope you are. Who gave you Godlike powers of life and death over posts? Wait, I got it: Hillary, Soros, Obama, you know. Can’t take me trying to give JTDG a little boost, eh? He, unlike you and your like, is a true patriot. You, unlike him, are not. You are an alt-left tree hugger who doesn’t have a clue what’s in store for you or your employer. It’s death and destruction, man, and I hope it comes soon. GO COWBOYS!!!!! At least they are American, unlike you and your ilk (I kinda like that). What you don’t get, and might never, is that you are in the minority. Well anyway, you haven’t read this far because you don’t have the guts and also are very busy, right?

Your pal,

Frank

P.S. Gonna publish this one?

67. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Frank —

RE: Tillman

Classy.

And I will repeat to you, Pat believed many viewpoints and I don’t know how you’d know what he would do:

68. By JTDG on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Eric,

Yep, not much of a fan. Only bought season tickets starting 1991. Moved to Texas and flew back for half the home games for 5 years. but really, not much of a fan.

I also quoted CNN reporter Don Lemon, so not sure about your Faux news comment.

Yes, free speech. I stand for it. I believe in it 100%.
    Players can take a knee.
    I don’t have to buy their product.
    That’s how it works.
    If it hurts owners, then they will make changes.

But here is my thought. America is the greatest country on earth. It has it’s issues, but let’s start with, we are all Americans (not black or white) and will respect our country and those who died for it.. Now we can talk about solutions. Stop dividing us into groups. I don’t even understand the groups. How many people are pure white or pure black anyways? Most of us are mixed.

But a question to you Eric, personally. what have you done to make the world better. I have asked 3 times and got no answer. Too many of you do nothing and wine about everything.

Oh, I know, on facebook, you have so many causes. right? You are saving the world one post at a time. Keep it going.

So many want to complain. Its the 90%/10% rule. Whether it is little league, a school or church function or what ever, sure you will get lots to go out and want change, protest or complain. But only 10% will do something. Only 10% are the workers.

So, I have a daughter, who will go on a mission to dig wells in Africa next summer, why don’t you join her? Or maybe, better yet, maybe you can take vacation time and go to Port Arthur and help, or Puerto Rico, or Mexico city, or heck, the people who live in your town.

I ask, when will you be part of a solution to anything instead of just a complainer and name caller.

69. By Dr. G. on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

JTDG… trying to tap the 👍👍👍👍button 50 times, but only gives me one!!

A few years ago we had a poster who took 1st prize for the most derisive, ignorant comments ever, but now we have a new poster who takes pride winning the ignorance//bias trophy…you’ll fail forever in your effort to convalesce him.

Those millionaire players who kneel would look better doing the Downward Dog…that’s basically their statement.

A small number of liberals easily poison the minds of the sad, gullible people in this wonderful country…they want all the benefits with no responsibilities while constantly complaining.

I remain a Cards fan until I can’t….I get your drift…be well

70. By American on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Listen up snowflakes! I’m talking to the ones who got their pwecious feewings hurt by people exercising their right to free speech. Man up. It’s called freedom, can you handle it? No, then get the hell out of my America. This is the United States of America where people have the right to express their opinions and ideas whether you like them or not. You want to disagree? Fine. But stop the rhetoric that kneeling means anything more than what it is. It’s just to raise awareness of systemic racism that is backed by evidence. In no way does it mean that they disrespect fallen soldiers. What about soldiers and veterans that took the knee in solidarity? You going to boo them? We know it makes you uncomfortable to deal with it, but grow up and grow a pair you snowflakes. Life may be peaches and cream for you, but not everyone. Stop whining like a little b…. America means freedom for everyone and their ideas, not just you and your ideas. Get over yourself.

71. By Dr. G. on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Mike Tomlin is angry. Watch the waiver wire. If Alejandro Villanueva gets cut, grab him!

72. By JTDG on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Eric,

One more thing, I don’t watch NASCAR and never will. I don’t drive a truck,

What is sad how Liberals like to pigeon hole anyone who stands up for the flag as some hillbilly, NASCAR, blue collar guy. That’s fine. I know some and they are great people.

But, in reality, I am white collar, college educated person who drives a convertible Mercedes. . Sorry to disappoint you.

73. By JTDG on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

clssylssy,

I respect your comments, because they are well thought and logical.
    Maybe I did add a little bit of, ” look what I have done” in my comments. I’ll admit to that.

I think I just get a little tired of people who like to complain about the world, but do nothing about it. I mean, you and I complain about the cardinals but we have no power. But you do have power to get up and do something to make the world better.

Gestures, self serving acts,disrespecting other to make a point,all of this is what I saw Sunday. What will come of any of it, but lost viewers? There is no end game. It is divisive.

But Clssy, you are wrong about this comment
    “The Steelers made the decision to not come out of the tunnel until after the anthem, as was the practice for many years. Villianueva chose to stay at the tunnel’s edge and exercise his CHOICE…which his teammates respected.”

Tomlin said Sunday ;
    “Like I said, I was looking for 100 percent participation, we were gonna be respectful of our football team,” Tomlin said when asked about Villanueva ignoring the order and coming out for the Anthem.

It seems not everyone respected his decision.

74. By Frank Smitherton on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Out of town, following is an excerpt of an email I just sent to my wife…

“And don’t be silly! I want you to watch the game and cheer on our Cards. GO CARDS! and, of course, go Badger.

And and…I also will be watching the game, at least as soon as it comes on the TV. When I see the Cards and the Cowboys all locking arms and all thinking they are doing the right thing (what pressure they are under! how could they do anything else, poor guys, really, not being sarcastic) then, click, well, it really is, I hope, goodbye forever, plenty of regrets, no bad taste for the Cards players except Humphreys and others who have mouthed off – thank God the Badger never did that (mouthed off that I know of) and if he did please don’t tell me, thanks, and Arians, whom I have lost all respect for, and don’t forget the mealy-mouthed Bill Bidwill, but wait, he named the stadium Pat Tillman Stadium, or…did I get that wrong? He couldn’t have sold out to…The UOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, Larry Fitzgerald got a degree there so it must be on a par with Harvard, Yale, you know….

And tonight I really hope the Cowboys act out, like I expect the Cards will do, so that I won’t be severely tempted to become a Cowboys fan. I do despise Jerry Jones.

Maybe only you can understand this, and if you can’t it’s ok and not to worry, but it’s like a death. I am struggling to come to grips with it. It has been so much a part of my life. Have I ever told you about when I got an axe and starting chopping down an enormous cottonwood tree on the ranch in Litchfield Park when Joe Namath and the Jets beat my Johnny Unitas and his Colts in the third “Super Bowl”? Wow – that was 48 years ago. For at least that long I have loved, lived, and breathed professional football. So call it 50 years. No wonder I am dazed, cornfuzed, trampled, sacked (oops), etc. My oh my. Oh dear.

Well, enough of that. Hope that Ty gets a pick tonight, and then a pick six (keep your eyes open man!), and, if we win, but only if we win, I hope that Peterson gets beaten for another touchdown. The man needs a huge dose of humility.”

75. By Coach K on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

The playing of the national anthem is NOT the time or place to protest racial issues.

76. By Scott H on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

And yet again, to get back to the game ( to try to, anyway! )….I see that John Brown and Humphries are sitting again. And now JJ is questionable with a hammy.

In regard to JB…I’m sorry, didn’t we hear during the off-season that he had his sickle-cell anemia under control and was back to his old self??? Coulda swore we did. Well, he’s back to his old self, alright – he’s missing another game and our offense is not the same without him. Yeah….that definitely sounds familiar.

And Humphries…..yeah. Didn’t we move him into Veldheer’s spot, thinking that would be best for this O-line? Yeah, that’s going well. Humphries is on the sidelines and Veldheer is struggling on the other side of the line. That looks like a lose-lose.

Again, too many of the guys we were counting on for 2017 are giving us nothing. And that collective nothing-ness has been very apparent so far.

These injuries are going to bury this team before we reach mid October. Our first round picks are killing us, too.

Maybe in Week 3 of the 2017 season, we will finally get a glimpse of Robert Nkemdiche. MAYBE. I’ve got more to say about that but I’ll hold my tongue for now.

77. By Eric G on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Didn’t you quit jtdg? Go home. I’m not a liberal, don’t do Facebook, Twitter etc. Hate them and hate social media “activists.” I’m an independent. I would have voted for McCain in 2000 had he won the nomination. I vote my conscience. Just an fyi, Hillary was an awful candidate, but nowhere near the insanity that is trump. I’ve volunteered to help people, St Vincent de Paul. I’m sn attorney, I defended inner city youths wrongfully charged with crimes they did not commit for free. I give free legal advice where I can. So I do my part. What I can’t stand are people that twist what people do to fit their agenda, like what trump and the right wing media has done with this. Trump should’ve kept his big yapper shut. Period.

78. By erik on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Truly the most entertaining thread in quite some time.

Something that may be forgotten, these are basically kids out there. A lot of these men kneeling are in their 20’s and people in their 20’s like to protest. This is an issue that can divide us, really?!

79. By clssylssy on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Darren…
    You obviously misread what I said. I would NEVER presume to know what was in another’s heart especially a deceased person as principled as Pat Tillman.
    Enough said.
    GO CARDS!

80. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Tillman

Honestly I don’t remember who had said something. Many had brought it up, so it’s for the group anyway.

81. By Darren Urban on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

All —

RE: More Tillman

Tillman’s widow released a statement tonight:

82. By JohnnyBluenose on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Darren….these comments are getting more weird and are so removed from football, despite ScottH’s attempts to refocus our attention. I know you have written that you believe in freedom of speech and you do not want to censor someone’s comments but, in light of the insults that are being thrown around in the last day or two, which only make things worse, not better, you may want to re-think that. This is not a place where I come to read about politics or the problems of the world or what someone does for a living or what his or her grandparents did. I come here, as I wrote here not too long ago, to read about football, especially about the Cardinals. At least, that’s the way it used to be. I know, you and others can respond by saying, “don’t read it if you don’t want to” but is that what you want? What is this blog supposed to be? A forum for anyone to say anything or is it about football? It’s your blog, it’s up to you to decide its direction.

83. By Scott H on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Yeah, this thread has been entertaining…..too bad I can’t say the same for the game.

84. By clssylssy on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

JTDG…
    What a sad situation. I was basing my comment off an interview Ben R gave in which he said that “the team” had decided to stay in the locker room (players) after spending a sleepless night trying to figure out the appropriate way to handle this very conflicted situation. I don’t guess I was thinking of Tomlin as part of the team but rather management & I certainly think Villaneuva shouldn’t have been made to feel his action in anyway reflected cpoorly on his coach. I am certain he had the support of his teammates. This was afterall meant to be a statement of equality, unity & individual freedom.
    I very much agree that we should all do more to step up & help our fellow man. Unfortunately, not everyone is in a position to do more than little random acts of kindness here and there. Many of out players & team organizations do however have foundations who do good work taking up the slack in our communities and I guess I don’t like people being targeted & villainized by a bully.
    I did think our leadership did a very good job tonight handling a sensitive & difficult situation tastefully.
    And, I hope you stick around as a very valued & knowledgeable member of the bird gang.

85. By JTDG on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

Eric,

We found common ground. I agree that what Trump did was stupid. He was supposed to be supporting Luther and he goes off on a tangent about the NFL.

Then the NFL gets their feeling hurt and pulls an equally stupid thing. I still don’t know what they are going to accomplish with this.

As for leaving, re-read my post. I put my tickets up for sale and don’t want to spend any more money to the NFL. Never said I was done.

Although, the way the cards are playing, maybe I should.

86. By JTDG on Sep 25, 2017 | Reply

This just in;

You would think that this firestorm would have resulted in record ratings for Sunday Night Football, or at least a ratings boost. Unfortunately for the NFL, the exact opposite proved true with an 8 percent drop in viewership, compared to last week. This is a new season low.
    Compared to this time last year, the ratings decline was in the double-digits, a full 10 percent.

87. By clssylssy on Sep 26, 2017 | Reply

Thank you Darren for posting Marie Tillman’s statement. I feel really bad for her, and the other families of the fallen bc of the wounds this entire mess must open and the pain it has caused to so many.
    JTDG
    i don’t think that the ratings can be blamed on the protest as much as the level of play and poor programming. People are turning off their TVs to seek peace & quiet from a hostile media–last year I completely quit watching TV but relied on my DVR to filter out only what I wanted to catch, half the time I would end up watching months later. My golf game got a lot better and I spent time re-connecting with friends who I hadn’t seen in ages. I got busy with other things and life was richer!
    Last night the commentator said that they had a sell-out crowd (always makes me laugh as “sellouts” were what we called bandwagoners back home) but I’m not surprised as there are as many Dallas fans in Phoenix as Cards fans.
    I was encouraged the first quarter of the game but our defense quit on us again and the ST never showed up either. Fitz is still our best player and this team is going to be nothing when he rides off into the sunset; I got the feeling his getting the ball finally and being used actively in the game was an olive branch to the fans, as the front office knows who the fans come to see.
    The team did a good job handling a difficult situation and it was nice to see everybody united with the military in the end zone.