A pair of Petersons, Friday before the Bucs

Posted by Darren Urban on October 13, 2017 – 3:59 pm

Adrian Peterson was the story of the week after he was traded to the Cardinals Tuesday. For a few days, all you can really have is speculation. The coaches and players are enthused about his arrival and what he might be able to do. Really, you’d expect nothing else. Optimism tends to reign in these situations.

“You got Adrian Peterson and Larry Fitzgerald on the same team, and Carson (Palmer) is delivering the ball to both of them,” tackle D.J. Humphries said. “It’s like, ‘What?’ That sounds like something you would do on ‘Madden,’ a team you’d create on ‘Madden.’ ”

The spotlight will be on “All Day” Sunday. If I had to guess – and this is purely a guess – I’m guessing on 12 or 15 touches. The revamped offensive line has to make some inroads, and that’s no guarantee. And while Peterson supposedly has looked good since arriving (we cannot watch practice), there’s no way to know exactly what the 32-year-old will do in a game situation.  Still, there is little arguing that, after a bad game in Philly, there was a vibe of hope around this offense this week.

“Never in my wildest dreams did I think he’d be on my team,” offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin said. “But he is.”

— The Cardinals have another Peterson. Patrick represents the other side of the ball. Unlike Adrian Peterson, who is still looking to prove he has a lot left, Patrick Peterson doesn’t need to, because he is at the height of his powers. But that can only go so far. And before the offensive Peterson arrived, it was the defensive Peterson’s overflowing passion in Philly that underscored some of the issues with a defense of which so much was expected.

Let’s say P2 does his job on Mike Evans this weekend. The Cards have to find a way to control DeSean Jackson and some good tight ends. They have to get off the field on third-and-long. (An aside, the Cardinals have been good at forcing third downs and even third-and-longs. They just have to close the deal.)

“It’s definitely something we’ve struggled with all season,” safety Tyrann Mathieu said. “I think it’s something we can correct. We’ve got a veteran group on the backend. Everything has to go together. If you call a zero blitz, the pressure has to get home. If you’re dropping zone, you’ve got to affect the passer. I think everything goes hand-in-hand.”

A zero blitz, like the one that didn’t get home at third-and-19 last week.

— Speaking of getting home, it was a tough first game at outside linebacker for rookie Haason Reddick. He made a couple of nice plays – there was one great stay-at-home play on a zone-read run by Eagles QB Carson Wentz – but mostly was locked up and a non-factor as a pass rusher.

“I don’t think he played as well as he wanted to play,” defensive coordinator James Bettcher said. “He had four days playing the position. Play fast and play hard, he did that. Now we stack pieces on top of that.”

— Sunday is the Cardinals’ “Crucial Catch” game so if you have a chance to wear pink and represent, here’s your opportunity.

— Will be interested in seeing how the interior of the offensive line handles Gerald McCoy.

— With the running game having its issues and Palmer throwing all the time, he’s up to 1,573 yards passing. That’s a pace for 5,033 for the season, which would obliterate the franchise record.

— Another reason defense always seems to be a key: Under Arians, the Cardinals are 34-3-1 when holding the other team to 20 points or fewer.

— The Cardinals will wear their black uniforms Sunday (and for those who have forgotten, it was the Buccaneers who were the opponent in 2010 when the Cards wore their black alternates for the first time.)

That’ll be two straight home games in which the Cards wear black, because they’ll break out their Color Rush unis for the next home game Nov. 9, Thursday, against the Seahawks. The difference? The Color Rush jerseys will have red numbers instead of white. And the pants will be black, not white.

Here endeth the jersey conversation for today.

— OK, maybe not all the jersey conversation. After the talk about Adrian Peterson and Justin Bethel and wearing 28 (and there is a chance the league wouldn’t allow an in-season change, but I could not get an official answer on that), Larry Fitzgerald was asked if he went to a new team if he would expect whoever had No. 11 to give it to him.

“I would just go where I fit in,” Fitzgerald said. “It wouldn’t bother me. I wore No. 1 my whole life until I got here. They gave me 11. At the end of training camp a couple of 80-numbers were available, but I was like, I’ll stick with it, this is what they gave me. The number doesn’t make the player. The player makes the number. I’ve always thought that.”

— The Cardinals leave Monday night for London. But first, the Bucs. See you Sunday.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “A pair of Petersons, Friday before the Bucs”

1. By NJAzCardsFan on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

Darren- Any chance Keim would go out and get DRC??? He would be a big improvement over Bethel… That I would like to see…. I know DRC has a history here.

2. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: DRC

I would doubt that’s something they will look at. Kent Somers reported as much. Not sure you want to trade for a guy who essentially quit on his team.

3. By TucsonTim on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

Yep, Madden 2010.

4. By TucsonTim on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

Reddick struggling at OLB…what could be done to fill a need at that position??? Hmmmm. What could be done???

5. By Dr. G. on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

A Tale of Two Petersons? Let’s see…

One is a great kinetic athlete, the other is a great potential athlete.

One is quietly confident, the other espouses inartful bluster.

One is eager to learn, the other, not so much.

One can apologize for a mistake, the other deflects personal errors as team effort.

One loves to ball with contact, the other is afraid to break a finger nail.

As for Fitz, on a scale of 1 to 10, he is forever an 11 !

Go Cards! Time to ball like every play is your last one.

6. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Patrick

I’ll admit I’ve never understood your hate.

7. By Scott H on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

Oh, nice of you to chime in, DJ Humphries! Now, perhaps you could actually get on the field and help us out a bit?

Darren – are we actually going to see either Humphries OR Nkemdiche on Sunday?

I think ( or at least I HOPE ) we all know that AP isn’t going to make all of our O-line woes go away. It doesn’t work like that. I’ve even wondered how well David Johnson would be faring behind this group. The HOPE is that if AP does indeed have plenty left in the tank as he says he does, he will be able to do enough on his own that opposing defenses will have to respect that and will have to back off a bit. That really is about all we can hope for. But IF AP still has something to offer, it is at least a reasonable hope.

And, of course, getting Humphries back on the damn field might help, but…..don’t even get me started. The defense is no less in need of some help from Nkemdiche. But getting anything from our first round picks these days does, indeed, seem like too much to hope for. It shouldn’t be, but…..here we are.

But again. here is what I would love to see – a long run from AP, preferably for a TD, from our side of the 50 yard line. And the earlier in the game, the better. SOMETHING needs to put a charge into this offense and that stadium on Sunday. The offense needs a lift. Our O-line needs a lift. WE, the fans, need a lift. This offense has been so dead up to this point. SOMETHING needs to get the blood pumping again here.

If now now, when?

And if not AP, who?

FWIW, watching the game last night, you can see that the Eagles are for real. They are legit. And there would be no shame in losing to them like the Panthers did, in a competitive fashion. But the way we just laid down to be the total road-kill that we were last Sunday…..no. I can only hope that enough or our players took that personally enough that we are SEEING it this week and the Buccs are FEELING it. But to see a flat, slow, team with no heart and no fire following THAT beat down last week….that will tell me all I need to know. That will tell me that this team has no heart and is truly shot under this coaching staff. There will be no other conclusion you could possibly reach.

I’ll leave it at that until after the game.

Please, AP, give us that long run! Other than a KO return that might get past the 20 yard line, I can’t think of anything we could use more.

8. By JTDG on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

Alright,

Is there any video where AP was running for the Vikes and PP had to tackle him one on one?

Did PP make the tackle or (as Deion put it) make a business decision?

9. By JTDG on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

This game is perfect for the cards on offense;

First,
    The Bucs are 25th against the pass. The reason behind this is they are 32nd in the NFL in sacks. QBs have been able to sit in the pocket and pick apart the secondary.

Second,
    The Bucs are #3 against the run. But that is misleading. Because the pass defense struggles, teams are not having as many running attempts.

These two stats points to the cards oline having a “redemption’ game.

Now don’t get me wrong, Tampa has plenty of talent on the defensive side of the ball. Those 3 LBs they have drafted are good and fast. Gerald McCoy is one of the best interior DLineman in the NFL. And Grimes and Hargraves are pretty good CBs.

Where they struggle is at safety. This is not the days of John Lynch. and at DE, where Gholston and Ayers have zero sacks.

Therefore, if the inside of the line can hold up, there won’t be much coming off the edge. Palmer should be able to get a few deep, especially deep down the middle beating those safeties.

On defense,

The Bucs have two good TEs who will test the cards LBs and safeties. Mike Evans is a beast who PP will have to handle. Which leaves us with Desean Jackson.

I still remember sitting there watching that guy beat DRC deep in the playoff game (although DRC got a hand on the ball, Jackson still caught it).

Jackson has legit , take the top off a defense kind of speed. I doubt we will see Bethel one on one with him, as I would put a safety over top.

If the cards double Jackson and can handle those two TEs with Branch, Reddick and Budda, they should slow this offense.

This game is exactly what the doctor ordered for the cards. Forget the lines, the cards should walk away with a home win. They must win this game to save their season. 2-4 and going to the rams is not a favorable thing.

10. By Dr. G. on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

Darren… Hate is never the word for PP or anyone. A reasonable degree of enthusiasm is a good thing. He is one of the best in the league at pounding his chest…I can overlook the super materialistic stuff, but it is an issue for some.

Flying in on a chopper to camp? I recall you may have said he had permission, but that visual was bad for others…he should have refused.

A shut down never looks like a college rookie on some plays when defending good players…ala last Sunday by keeping a drive alive on 3rd &11. We can list many times during his career after his stellar rookie season that were costly…ala Julio Jones, Megatron, etc…you know them all. ((The illness, fitness thing, maybe))

And I guess you’d say, “”Who else do they have”” when I post that he waves at the crowd or runs OB on punts. We need a hungry guy there.

There is a sense of comparison with others like Fitz, Palmer…and now David Johnson’s incredible demeanor… PP could button his pie hole more and go to Wisdom school… Feature players should be leaders by example not pretenders.

Sorry if you don’t see/agree on some of that…be well

11. By Darren Urban on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Chopper

He didn’t have permission. He was asked to do it.

12. By Dr. G. on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

jtdg…I saw that hilarious bit from Prime Time talking about making a business decision…too funny!! I was thinking he was referring to himself as well as PP with a guy like AP coming full bore abandon. Not a party to stop a guy like that.

Still enjoy your stuff…we gotta put a W on the board this Sunday…🏈 🇺🇸

13. By CARDS62 on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

Dr G

I have never said PP is perfect and definitely uses the bull fighter method of tackling verses the rugby style, but Deion Sanders was also a very poor tackler, but hey I will take either of these guys on my team any day.

Patrick Peterson I know for a fact is not our problem and this week he is my favorite Cardinal because he is the only one who showed me he cared in Philadelphia.

14. By CARDS62 on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

Glad for the AP signing hope he gets 20 carries.

Darren if DRC quit on his team he should feel right at home playing with us as practically our whole team quits when we go on the road and they definitely quit before the game even started in Philly.

I appreciate the AP signing and even the Earl Watford signing but more needs to be done, and DRC will be a nice addition. I know he is weird, but DRC has been in the league for many years and seems harmless. If we can have Dansby 3 times I say lets have DRC twice. Giants are ready to toss in the towel on this season 0-5 with plenty of injuries and an old QB so we can get this done.

Bowman released by 49ers is another guy we should go after. Bowman and AP can give our team couple of shots of toughness which we need more than anything.

Earl Watford was signed by Jags this year to improve their line which they have definitely improved and they wanted him to be a starter, but he could not even make the Jags team and he comes in and starts for us in 3 days and replaces our other starting guard the following week. Once again I have no idea what is going on with Nick Mangold, but I sure wish someone will tell me if he wants to play football anymore or not, because if he does it will be more toughness added.

Arizona just seems to be where OL and TE come to disappear. Decades these positions have been a nightmare and if J. Cooper becomes a star in Dallas we have to hire Dallas OL coach at any price. Heck even if he does not become a star we still need to hire Dallas OL coach at any price.

Go Cards beat the Bucs

15. By CARDS62 on Oct 13, 2017 | Reply

JTDG

Good analysis on the game I will just add that our

1) special teams need to just play even with TB special teams for field position to help both our defense and offense.

2) Minnesota rookie running back Cook almost had 100 yards rushing so we need to keep running Peterson but not always on first down. Please give me some good play calling.

3) Limit TB runs so we can force passing situations and rush Winston into turnovers.

4) D. Jackson with the Eagles believe the last time we played them was injured but came back in the game and just destroyed us all game. I am thinking with Peterson on Evans that Jackson will destroy us again.

NFC just looks down to me this year so I hope Keim will keep making moves to strengthen our team.

Would truly love to see good game plans from our coaching staff this week and in game adjustments if needed, but most of all we better see energy from our players for all 60 minutes plus any overtime.

Concerning Robert N. How does some one get a calf injury and what exactly is a calf injury and how long do they take to heal? Do not really recall calf injuries to other players. Who was the DL bust we drafted in 1st round out of Wisconsin years ago? Wendall Bryant maybe? This is who Robert N reminds me of now and not DD the real #90.

Go Cards beat Bucs

16. By dynosoar on Oct 14, 2017 | Reply

Running Back improvement (maybe, maybe not?)

How about also improving the pass rush. Bowman was just released from the 49ers (do not know why, that could be important.) And there is the factor of even this late in the game, does not being secure in your 53 man spot motivate or demotivate a player.

Still, pass rush improvement opportunity. (which may or may not pan out.)

17. By Marlin on Oct 14, 2017 | Reply

Wondering if the local media has missed a Cards 2017 story? Never any articles mentioning that our defense (which led the NFL in sacks last year) just can’t seem to get home – despite all the linebacker and unique db blitzing talent – and that is likely a product of Calais departing. Very little analysts mentioning the loss of Calais and its effect on our pass rush. He made alot of guys look good. Might be a relevant story.

18. By Corgon on Oct 14, 2017 | Reply

PP21 as CB had a really bad season. As a returner stellar, ok, but who gives a **** about that nowadays?
    After his terrible rookie campaign, he improved a lot. And I mean a LOT.
    Megatron and Julio made some great plays against him yes (and few times others as well) but is this the definition of playing poor and without fire? Come on, on of them is a legend and the other is on his way to be one. And compairing someone to Fitz is just plain wrong. He is one of the best ever between the white lines. If you dont reach his bar that doesn’t mean you are not good.

19. By Corgon on Oct 14, 2017 | Reply

He had a bad rookie season. Sorry.

20. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 14, 2017 | Reply

IIRC, when the Cards played at SF last year on Thursday night during their color rush game, the Cardinal logo on the helmet had a reflective metallic sheen to it which was sorta cool because the rest of their uniform was pretty bland as is the case for road teams on Thursday nights during color rush games. It will be interesting to see if the helmet logo again has that metallic look on Thursday, November 9 when they host the Seahawks.

21. By clssylssy on Oct 14, 2017 | Reply

Martin…
    RE: Local media Cards 2017 Story
    I think the absence of any stories speaks for itself. Best to say nothing rather than sounding like you are trying to sell something everyone knows is “false news”.
    Calais is gone and the FO most likely doesn;t want to draw attention to the massive management FUBAR this team has become in a matter of a few years.

22. By Scott H on Oct 14, 2017 | Reply

IMHO, the Thursday Night games combined with the color rush uniforms is just a great big double dose of how the NFL is getting it wrong these days. They are BOTH such a bad idea, and seeing them together every Thursday night….in all seriousness, I think it’s why I’m watching less NFL football this season than I ever have before.

My Idea? Send the Pro Bowl to London and have those players wear color rush uniforms. Three things I don’t want to see all rolled into one neat little package. Works for me!

I swear, if they made me king of the world tomorrow morning, the NFL would be a better product by tomorrow night.

23. By Scott H on Oct 14, 2017 | Reply

Tucson Tim –

Yup. And I guess if we want to see a Madden that includes DJ Humphries, we’re probably looking at…..2018? Maybe?

24. By Coach K on Oct 14, 2017 | Reply

I hope AP can get at least 15 carries and that BA does not panic and give up on the run game too soon. It’s going to take a few carries for AP to get lathered up, and he probably won’t be at full steam until his 5th or 6th carry.

Watching AP run over the years, he has always been a runner who gets better and better later in the game. If BA can be patient and get AP rolling, this will open up some deep shots against a questionable Tampa secondary.

Ideally, if BA can give AP time to get rolling and include some tight end passes off play action, I think we have a shot to be successful.

If BA gets impatient and reverts back to high risk offense, then I’m afraid Palmer will be in 3rd and long yardage for most of the game. Not good for his health.

It;s all in BA’s hands. Will he be patient and take what the defense gives him, or will he panic and keep us in 3rd and long? That’s the question.

25. By Dan Nicholson on Oct 14, 2017 | Reply

Anyone wondering what type of play cards go with on their 1st play from scrimmage? I hope it’s a run because I want to see AD to run over somebody and set the tone ..thinking it may be to obvious and cards will pass it .. Trade has turned up excitement and anticipation of what May transpire from here on. Everyone bring it tomorrow from Team to fans and have some fun. Let’s Go Big Red

26. By aschatte on Oct 15, 2017 | Reply

Darren – I absolutely respect how you cover the cardinals – You have been one of the positives of supporting this team through the garbage that this team has been since Kurt Warner retired – But saying that DRC quit on this team is absolutely laughable and reeks of double standards. Kurt Warner wanted to quit on the Cards after the SB season and nearly signed with the 49ers but he did come back – he did QUIT .. I mean he retired after the 2009 season and I still see some grudges regarding that….but Warner is still a Cardinal Favorite. Dansby quit on this team 2 times before but the knee jerk reaction after Calais left meant that – you had to get someone experienced and cheap on the market and Dansby was already available – does that make Dansby a quitter as well? I mean he did quit on this team twice for more money! …no sugar coating that! Here we are absolutely pathetic at the second CB position with Justin Bethel completely garbage and anyone other than Bethel literally is a step over at this point.

I am tired of sugar coating our weaknesses over the last 15 years – at this point I am willing to sell my soul so that we can win a Super Bowl. Petersons outburst was just the many myriad reactions of players who frustratingly want more than what they are seeing. The passion is there but the end result is just not happening. If DRC can make a difference in this team in any manner (which I feel he will without a doubt) we need to sign him.

As a cards fan – I am frustrated with sugar coating this team every year – and if its means signing a guy who you felt quit on this team – so be it. If we help us to win games this year in our secondary – I am willing to overlook anything.

27. By Mark on Oct 15, 2017 | Reply

Hey Darren, I don’t understand why the team really wouldn’t make a play for DRC. He is a very capable corner that has shown is much better than Bethel. I understand he is in a dispute with his current team but do we know he “quit”. Does anyone know the circumstances of the dispute he is having with his team. After all the Cardinals just took on a player with a lot of baggage himself in Peterson.

28. By Darren Urban on Oct 15, 2017 | Reply

Mark —

RE: DRC

There are multiple reasons, and one, I am guessing has to do with money. He is still owed about $4.5 M this season, which is right around all the remaining cap money the Cardinals have.

29. By TucsonTim on Oct 15, 2017 | Reply

Will always be a fan of Patrick Peterson My son and I were going on a dive trip. Caught a red eye out of PHX with first stop in CLT. My son noticed that PP was sitting behind us on the flight.

As we got off the plane at about 5 AM my son asked PP if he could take a selfie with him. PP said why don’t you just have your dad take a good pic after we get off the plane. (smart move not to hold up the line)

Got a great pic of my son in CLT airport. PP put his arm around his shoulder and gave that famous smile….which I’m sure he wasn’t really feeling after an over night 5 AM arrival.

He walked with us for a ways to his next gate. Told him we both wear 21 and have been season ticket holders since getting to Tucson 13 years ago. That was after the fact.

He’s a first class guy and a GREAT ambassador for the Cardinals…well the whole NFL actually.

30. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Oct 15, 2017 | Reply

HATE is an inappropriate word.

2. Oct 19, 2017: A pair of Petersons, Friday before the Bucs – Site Title