Keim: Peterson trade example of a “swing”

Posted by Darren Urban on October 16, 2017 – 8:25 am

Steve Keim had looked at all options when David Johnson first got hurt, and that included research on Adrian Peterson. But the push to trade for the veteran running back didn’t come until last week, when Keim said he “picked up the phone and it worked out pretty quickly.”

The “why” of the deal wasn’t complicated.

“I think it’s pretty simple,” Keim said during his appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7. “At the end of the day, it made us better. The one thing I am committed to do as the General Manager, and I know Michael (Bidwill) and B.A. (Bruce Arians) is committed to do, we’re not going to sit on our hands if we think we can get better.

“It doesn’t mean we always make the right decisions. I’ve certainly made my mistakes here. But the one thing I’m going to do is I’m going to swing. To me, you can never hit a home run if you don’t step up to the plate and swing. I owe it to the organization, I owe it to the fan base, and that’s the mindset I’m always going to have.”

It was interesting to hear Keim, who mentioned at least a couple of times the “mistakes” he has made as a GM. And as good as Peterson was Sunday, he wasn’t proclaiming the move the end-all-be-all.

“Hopefully it would add a spark to the offense,” was Keim’s thought process. “More than anything, I think we created balance.”

It also helped morale, Keim said.

“It was about igniting a spark and creating an enthusiasm throughout the building, which was infectious the moment we did it on Tuesday,” Keim said.

— Keim said he thought what was overlooked Sunday was the return of the left side of the offensive line. It was going to be difficult, Keim reiterated, no matter who the running back was with all the injuries. Earl Watford already looks like he’ll settle in at right guard, but it was left tackle D.J. Humphries and left guard Alex Boone who showed what impact they could have.

“For the first time this year, we saw five guys up front playing in unison,” Keim said. “I thought D.J. was excellent. We’ve always know he can run block. His ability to roll his hips and finish at the point of attack is something to me that sets him apart from a lot of other tackles. He and Alex on several of those ‘deuce’ blocks created five- and six-yards of run lanes for Adrian.”

Keim also praised the perimeter blocking of the wide receivers that helped Peterson.

— Keim said there was a lot of discussion with team president Bidwill about Peterson, both on and off the field (including, it stands to reason, the year-long suspension Peterson had after child abuse accusations.) Keim said as with every player, the decision-makers talk through every part of a player, on the field, off the field, in the locker room and in the community. “Both of us were comfortable with that,” Keim said.

— Keim was asked, if he had been GM and not just in the front office in 2007 when the Cards were drafting, if he would have drafted Peterson at No. 5 (The Cards took tackle Levi Brown; Peterson went two picks later.) “You can go back and say that about a lot of different players,” Keim said. “I was not the general manager and I’ve certainly made enough mistakes in the position I’m in now. I’m just trying to take every day, every year and get better at my craft. Hopefully I can put a product on the field that fans can be proud of.”

— About the defense, which allowed a big second half after the Cards built a 31-0 lead before holding on, 38-33: “There is something to be said about momentum,” Keim said. “Part of that momentum we created on offense was a good thing. Now we have to figure out why the momentum issues are happening to us on defense.”

Keim said the defense played well in spurts, but they need to rally better after giving up a big play. (An aside, the Bucs still converted 50 percent on third downs, which continues to be an issue for the defense.) Keim praised Corey Peters, Frostee Rucker and the work of cornerback Tramon Williams. Keim echoed Arians’ thought that Williams should get more playing time. Keim also said safety Antoine Bethea (three picks in three games) doesn’t get as much credit as he deserves.

— Keim said he is confident cornerback Patrick Peterson (quad) will be able to play in London against the Rams.

Tags: , , , ,

51 Responses to “Keim: Peterson trade example of a “swing””

1. By Eric on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Absolutely amazing first half of football on Sunday against the Bucs. Gotta be able to finish without giving back so much though. Fitz and AP were one heck of a dynamic duo. Really awesome. Keim should see about swinging for the fences and adding a spark to the defense. The pass rush is lacking. The only player getting to the QB is Chandler Jones. Would be great to bring in Navorro Bowman. Adding Bowman could solidify the defensive front. Dansby is only here on a 1 year deal. Golden is out for the season. Bowman is gonna have a chip on his shoulder just like AP.
    They should seriously consider making Tramon Williams the starter opposite Patrick Peterson. Just don’t think Bethel is the answer.

2. By CARDS62 on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Oh! so its a matter of momentum for the defense.
    Well you might want to get a few more pass rushers to create momentum.
    and/or pick up a quality CB to stop other teams momentum.

If not for the team do it for the fans!!! Mr. Keim.
    DRC ! DRC ! DRC !

Fuel up the jet, make a pit stop in NYC before heading over to London and take DRC with us. If you need to trim some salaries trade Bethel and if NY wont take him just drop him off in NY anyway.

GO Cards beat those Rams!

3. By georgiebird on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

It seems now that the AP pickup was such a logical thing to do. While AP is an improvement over CJ- does SK think he could possibly get a KR/PR who would be an improvement over KW?
    It seems to me that an improvement in the return game would extract the same jump-start that the AP acquisition has done. Ditto a replacement for Bethel.

4. By Coach K on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

BOY WAS I WRONG about the addition of AP

He made the defense respect him and this opened up the entire offense. It’s exactly what we needed.

I just replayed the entire game again and I have to say, getting those offensive linemen back, and especially long armed Watford was a huge difference. Watford played an amazing game at times holding off two defenders with his arms alone. His pulling was quick and contact was strong. The left side of the line was dominating. The addition of AP and the line intact made us look like a different offense. BA has to stop being greedy and continue to take what the defense gives him and keep mixing it up. Finally the tight ends are back in play.

Defensively, we are okay, but we need to get more push up the middle and Reddick needs to work on his outside pass rush and develop a spin move back to the inside as his rush is too wide and tackles can easily control him. He needs to use his speed and add an inside move.

No push up the middle shows how much we miss Calais Campbell. My question Darren is this, will Nkemdichi be back next week and do you believe he can give us that push up the middle our defense lacks, and desperately needs?

5. By Rick on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Why would they let A.P. return punts if he is injured . Did that not get them in trouble before ? Just fair catch em .

6. By dkerry5242 on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Our core defensive line players are too old to dominate. The defensive line and offensive line need to have a draft prospect every year.
    Return Bethel to Special Teams and move Williams up opposite PP.

7. By mitchaz on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Keim deserves credit for not only the AP trade but for his late additions of P Andy Lee, G Alex Boone, G Earl Watford and CB Tramon Williams.

Keim pulled a rabbit out of the hat in 2015 when aster a so-so start he signed Dwight Freeney and suddenly the Cardinals’ defense was closing out tight games in the 4th quarters and a 9 game winning streak (6-0 in prime-time) was afoot.

Plus, I think if they ever try D.J. Foster as a punt returner, he will make a splash.

8. By mitchaz on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

What still baffles me about Keim is how and why he wasn’t more aggressive in free agency this year, especially with all the free agents they lost. Yes, i get the compensatory picks incentive, but c’mom man, there had to be better options than Bethel at RCB, Boehm at RG and Dansby at ILB. But Keim basically did all his shopping on the 2nd day of FA in signing three veterans over the age of 30.

ironically, it took Keim trading for Adrian Peterson to have the team feel like the GM and HC really are trying to win this year. There should have bene at least one big signing ti signal that during the off-season, but there wasn’t..

9. By mal on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Darren-

My fav thing you guys do is Cards Underground.

Do you think we might get a UK version? That would be awesome.

10. By Darren Urban on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Underground podcast

We will. It will be posted a little later than usual. Normally it’s up by 7 a.m. Wednesday. It’ll be a few hours after that, but we will definitely have one up Wednesday morning.

It will sound normal, though. I’m not trying a British accent. I can’t speak for Kyle.

11. By joe holst on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

now if the could double up with the Saints and re-acquire Alec Okafor who has 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles .

12. By JTDG on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Keim Comments;

But think about this. Boone wasn’t on the team till the week the season started and Watford came on the team last week.

Why did it have to come to picking up guys at the start of the season? I mean all the guys you drafted and signed and you had to grab Watford last week? What are you looking at? How did you go into the offseason and do nothing with the Oline?

Same with Tramon Williams situation. Saying he needs to play more was a kind way of saying Bethel needs to play less. Why could you not see this long long ago? Bethel is a disaster at CB2. Six TDs and Four in the 4th quarter. Two of the 3 passing TDs for Tampa were against Bethel. Is it finally sinking in?

Sure, Keim deserves credit for bringing in Williams and Boone and Watford and especially AP. But why did it have to come to this?

13. By TucsonTim on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

We need to make a similar move on defense.

If Dirk Koetter asks any 12 year old that has played Madden, he puts 3 on the board before the half, doesn’t panic and go for 2, and we go to over time. Given the monumental momentum swing, that probably would’t have worked out so well for the Cards. Our defense can’t play 4 quarters of football.

Kudos for picking up a real game changer on offense.

14. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Difference makers in Cards “new life”:

All Day, Boone,Tramon, #41, (everybody knows if PP is ok, needs to supplant the oft beaten #28), even Earl.

Rams travel to London Thursday, mistake. Can acclimate in 4-5 days, not in 2-3… Hope Cards take the Melatonin, big acclimation tool.

15. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Erratum: Of course meant Tramon (#41, Bethea perfect at S) needs to supplant #28 as others above noted.

16. By clssylssy on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

I don’t think anybody but perhaps Fitz, really knew how this was going to turn out and looking at Keim throughout the game, he looked tense and like he was waiting for the other shoe to drop, which it nearly did through no fault of AP’s but rather a porous defense and weak defensive line. While this infused offense seemed to spark some passion for this home game against the Bucs, the game in London against a MUCH tougher and more complete divisional foe, will give a more accurate picture of where we are and what we need to do to save our season. I’m still not convinced that we have really done anything beyond some cosmetic tweeks ,and as pointed out by others, waiting until game 6, is not going to make up for half a season lost with there being teams with worse records, who could still outplay us. Keim’s early inaction is still a harsh reality that is on him and possibly Michael Bidwill that has been short changed the team as well as the fans.
    To compare AP to CJ and credit him solely with the “miracle” of our first half is inaccurate as AP is a whole lot bigger and was playing with many additional advantages we did not see in the early games. In football, size really does matter and the whole idea of going after small speedsters was a BASK thing that hasn’t proven to work out with receivers or RBs or linebackers; CJ was/is tough and I still believe it would have been smarter to keep him rather than Ellington or KW as he was happy just to do the work to win and it’s not like either of the others are doing anything on STs.Nonetheless, I am happy to get Bethea and T. Williams and would hope that Keim would make an “aggressive” move on Navarro
    Bowman beforre somebody else makes him a better offer. and DRC might even come in a spark our secondary. Interesting that someone else noticed the job Alex Olkefer is doing for the Saints, lol, even Ted Ginn Jr. had a TD for them last week, so perhaps fhat points to something we’re not doing when players go elsewhere and have success, lol, makes me wonder how Bethel would do in a different system as well!
    We still do not have a balanced team, after having our defense gutted prematirely, and while Fitz can only imagine what it would have been like to have AP on our offense earlier, I am thinking what this team would be like with last year’s defense still intact or a DC like Coach Bowles now.

17. By Lg on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Maybe now people will stop asking Adrian peace and how much he got in the tank and that was a good win and everything but the defense is still suspect tramon Williams should have been starting over Justin Bethel sooner or later we’re going to have to get us another defensive coordinator

18. By Scott H on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

CARDS62

Hey, man. Thanks for your post, which states nothing but truth, facts, sensible opinions, and passion for your team.

And not surprisingly, you’re getting twice as many thumbs down’s as up’s. Don’t ya love it?

I have no idea sometimes what people hear when they read these posts, but….whatever. Dude, you are right on with everything you said. So, continue to think as you do. And keep bringin’ it! 🙂

19. By Joe C. on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

maybe we could trade DJ for a top defensive lineman or CB?

20. By Scott H on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

As always, more truth and more questions that are right on.

Hearing Keim admitting – and only in the most general way possible – that he has made mistakes is the first thing I’ve heard him say in awhile that was anything I actually wanted to hear and could stomach.

Unfortunately, it is a huge understatement.

Yeah, Bethel is a mistake. No, I don’t expect Keim to come out and trash Bethel by saying that, but…..it’s not about Bethel. Bethel is HIS mistake. Maybe he’s in a place where it’s impossible to speak to that without throwing Bethel under the bus. Then again…..he has no problem coming out and saying Veldheer needs to play better after they put HIM in a lousy position.

Anyway….you are right on.

21. By Scott H on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Just to speak to the PP injury, I feel like I already know he isn’t going to play in London. And what makes me think that is that the initial reaction to injuries with this organization recently always seems to be overly optimistic. The initial reaction always seems to be “we don’t think it is going to be anything serious” and optimism that he’ll be ready to play this week.

And how often has it played out that way?

So….just hearing that they think PP will be able to go on Sunday – on Monday – feels like a set-up for the inevitable news later in the week that he is not going to be able to go. I will be pleasantly surprised if it goes otherwise.

I mean, the story up right now indicating that Tramon might start already seems to be paving the way.

Pessimism or realism? You decide.

22. By Scott H on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

I swear I put up a post on the game-day blog that didn’t get posted, but I’ll repeat a question I had for you at that time. That was, IF the Buccs had come back from 31-0 to win that game ( and damn, they sure were close ), where would that have ranked in terms of regular season game comebacks?? That would have been top 2 or 3, yes???

Ironic, because I know the Cardinals own ONE of the biggest comebacks in NFL history in a win against the Buccs, from several years ago. I think the deficit they over-came in that one was 25 points? Yes?

Of course, it was good to get the win but after a 31-0 lead…..you can’t ignore how close you came to a historic collapse. We can’t be blinded by the Adrian Peterson thing and not see the problems that are still there.

23. By Darren Urban on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Bucs

I don’t remember a Bucs comeback. Not since I’ve been covering the team.

As for a comeback, they didn’t win though. If you start playing the “What if” game, I’d say what if Jaron didn’t block in the back? Or Fitz didn’t fumble? I think they cruise easier if either happens.

24. By Scott H on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz –

I can’t quite go with you there, about what Keim deserves credit for. In my view, Boone and Watford were laying there on the scrap heap. They were available. Where was the brilliance in picking them up??

Tramon Williams….same thing. Just sitting there, totally available. Probably still is if the Cardinals don’t bring him in. I don’t see what great effort that took from Keim.

But your 2nd post seemed to counter your first, so….I’m not sure what to go with here.

But even Peterson. OK, give him credit for seeing an opportunity and picking up the phone. But…..if AP is playing any better down there in New Orleans, is HE available, either?? Probably not. So, he was helped tremendously by the fact that AP looked like a huge bust over the first month of the season!

I mean….what’s that adage about the blind squirrel?

25. By Dr. G. on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

TucsonTim — Your comment on Koetter is interesting. If you recall, he was at ASU for about 6 years and produced nothing but mediocrity. Even at one of the biggest universities in the USA, his recruiting was pathetic, and coaching decisions mirrored that effort. ((Remembering FKush)) Season tix, ugh!

He latched onto Winston and vice versa because he knew he would root for him to become the coach…. ((GM Licht?)) The Bucs gave him a 5 year deal last year and went 9-7…probably the best record Koetter had at any level. As Winston goes, so do the Bucs…we’ll see if he can save his daddy coach’s job. Lovie Smith didn’t really have a chance to develop his new QB with Koetter in the way. ((Winston came in with some behavioral issues))

Cards gonna put on a show in London!!

26. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Random thoughts from a wandering mind:
    * Tight ends were targeted early and then forgotten. Imagine what the Cards could do if Arians used them like the Patriots (Gronk), Niners (Gates) and Falcons (Gonzalez) did/do.
    * Defense, especially DL and secondary are weak and will cause losses. The Cards were lucky to survive against the Bucs.. They almost blew a 31-0 lead.
    * Arians’ obsession with throwing the bombs late in the game when runs/short passes would have eaten up the clock and probably iced the game.

27. By clssylssy on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

If they add Bethea, maybe he can get a little interception competition sparked & we might see a resurrection of the old Honey Badger???😁👍

28. By CARDS62 on Oct 16, 2017 | Reply

Thanks Scott H.

You know I do not like being negative, but we have to be real, and our team especially on the road does not have it. I knew AP will be good and called for a new running back weeks before he was acquired. AP brings toughness and we need that more than anything. I wanted Bowman on defense once again to bring toughness more than anything else but the Raiders would not let him leave the building for 3 million and I think he is around 29 years old. Cowboys were also going to meet with him.

The main thing is I want the bird gang to know that their voices matter and we can press for change. If this gets me thumbs down no problem I just want a great Cardinal Team. We pay the bills of the Arizona Cardinals and that my friends is real power.

You never know when a Kurt Warner or Carson Palmer or Dwight Freeney or AP and now Bowman and maybe DRC become available so when they do you have to jump on it. Our pass rush is awful and it was no better when we had Golden, so we need stronger cover corners so lets at least try and go after DRC.

If we need funds restructure Carson Palmer’s deal as he is a team guy and maybe we take a salary hit a few years down the road when we have a young QB that we drafted and are underpaying on a rookie contract.

We need to win now. This league is wide open this year especially the NFC.

GO Cards beat those Rams

29. By Sackman on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Great addition with AP. OL looking good finally. As a Team we can only get better from here on out, because the first 5 didn’t look to good. First of all I have all the respect in the world for Carlos Dansby, but have anyone else noticed how slow and stiff he looks out there?

Physically his age is catching up to him, but I know his knowledge and experience shows up on the field. Keep it up old man.

Clyssylssy: I would read your post more if you would shorten it up a bit, or break it up in short sentences.

Go Cards!!!

30. By clssylssy on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

WOW! I notice that AP and Carson Palmer are both up for FED-X Air & Ground Players of the Week! Come on Birdgang…time to REPRESENT & Support our Guys…(Sort of “dropped the ball” with Larry, something HE Doesn’t Do!)

31. By JTDG on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Sackman,

Dansby;

My Brother and I were talking about the same thing in the stands Sunday. Logically, yes, he does look that way. But I don’t want to believe my eyes with Dansby, because of all the great years he gave the cards. I think 2017 is the last year we will see Dansby in an NFL uniform.

But I feel he has enough in the tank to still be good enough in 2017.

32. By mitchaz on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Team Stats:

PTS FOR: AZ (19.6–20th); LA (29.8–1st)
    PASS: AZ (286.2–3rd); LA (243.8–10th)
    RUSH: AZ (69.8–32nd); LA (116.0-13th)
    PTS AGAINST: AZ (26.3-30th); LA (23.0–20th)

PFF Player Grades Comparisons:

QB: AZ Palmer (76.5); LA Goff (75.7)
    RB: AZ Peterson (84.2); LA Gurley (74.8)
    WR: AZ Fitzgerald (81.8); LA Watkins (74.5)
    WR: AZ Jaron Brown (75.2); LA Woods (72.6)
    WR: AZ John Brown (75.0); LA Kupp (79.3)
    TE: AZ Gresham (43.6); LA Higbee (70.1)
    TE: AZ Niklas (42.9); LA Everett (67.6)
    LT: AZ Humphries (77.3); LA Whitworth (82.4)
    LG: AZ Boone (39.7); LA Saffold (77.9)
    C: AZ Shipley (50.6); LA Sullivan (75.5)
    RG: AZ Watford (32.9): LA Brown (42.9)
    RT: AZ Veldheer (40.4); LA Havenstein (70.9)

NT: AZ Peters (82.0); LA Smart (43.5)
    DT: AZ Rucker (48.2); LA Donald (95.6)
    DT: AZ Mauro (45.6); LA Brockers (85.9)
    DE: AZ Jones (85.5); LA Quinn (62.4)
    LB: AZ Dansby (46.2); LA Ogletree (33.0)
    LB: AZ Bucannon (35.6); LA Barron (80.9)
    LB: AZ Reddick (47.0); LA Barwin (45.0)
    CB: AZ Peterson (82.0);LA T. Johnson (43.7)
    CB: AZ Bethel (46.0); LA Webster (80.5)
    S: AZ: Mathieu (42.5); LA Johnson (82.7)
    S: AZ: Branch (88.1); LA Davis (77.5)

Special Teams:

K AZ Dawson (10/14 FG, 11/11 XPT); LA Zeurlein (17/18 FG, 18/18 XPT)
    P AZ Lee (47.3 ave., 38.2 net); LA Hekker (46.9 ave., 44.7 net)
    KR AZ Williams (20.3 ave.); LA Cooper (31.7 ave.)
    PR AZ Williams (3.4 ave.); LA Cooper (5.7 ave.)

Cardinals’ Advantage: QB, WR, OLB, CB, S
    Rams’ Advantage: T, G, C, TE, DT, ILB, K, P, KR, PR

What the Cardinals Need To Do:

On Offense:

1—Run Off-Tackle: Deuce Blocks on Brockers and Donald, Angle and Kick Out Blocks on Quinn and Barwin
    2—Wall the Middle on Pass Plays, keep a RB in to take first penetration, A gap blitzes
    3—Help on DE Quinn—chips, double teams
    4—Win WR/CB matchups
    5—Isolate RB in passing game on Ogletree

On Defense:

1—Swarm tackle on Gurley
    2—Pressure Goff, collapse pocket, get him to throw off back foot—make blitzes count
    3—DL get hands up in passing lanes to stifle short passing game—get 3rd down stops
    4—Do a quicker job reading and blowing up screens—get a big game from Buc and Dansby
    5—Abandon the zones—play tight man exclusively—Peterson (Watkins), Bethel/T.Williams (Woods); Mathieu (Kupp); Branch (Higbee); Dansby (Everett), Bethea deep help opposite Peterson and at times sneak up to jump Kupp or Higbee.

On STs:

1—Limit Pharoh Cooper’s touches on returns with touchbacks and hang-time on punts
    2—Pressure Hekker and Zeurlein, disturb their timing and rhythm
    3—Put Bethel back as one of the gunners, pair him with Baker
    4—Don’t let STC John Fassel and the Rams’ very good STs be the difference maker in this game
    5—Get Scooby Wright going—play these teams with passion

33. By krehbieo14 on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

The.Cards started the season with injuries to the best running back in the NFL and two of our best Oline players. Keim doesn’t have a crystal ball. Inspite of the disarray on Offense, Keim managed to bring in three critical pieces, including AP. All GM’s make mistakes, but this one has done a great job.

34. By BIRDGANG 50 on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Amazing game… I had a feeling since Dj went down I immediately thought of AP and what would the possibilities be if we got him. I am BEYOND happy with what we did this past Sunday. Only thing I can truly hope for now is that our oline gets healthier and we pick up a Defensive back via trade or free agency…

35. By TucsonTim on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Anyone know of team activities for fans Friday and Saturday?

Team hotel?

36. By Darren Urban on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Tucson Tim —

RE: London

azcardinals.com/london

37. By Big Ken on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

I’m sorry it just looks to me like AP is an upgrade over CJ2K. Gotta give kudos to Steve Keim.

38. By Scott H on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Coach K –

I agree with you in regard to the effect that we saw Peterson’s presence have. That was what I was hoping for – that AP would be able to do enough on his own to make good things happen and make the defense back off a bit. He played beyond what our O-line seemed capable of.

Yeah, maybe having Watford back and Humphries back in the line-up made for a better O-line than what we’ve been seeing. But I don’t think we would have seen a 130 yard / 2 TD performance from CJ or Andre Ellington last week, ya know?

Don’t know how else to say it – AP just played beyond what this O-line seems capable of. And that is exactly what we need right now. That is the kind of player we lost in David Johnson and had no replacement for. He may not replicate what he did on Sunday every week, but he DID put every defense we are going to play from here on notice that this team can and is going to run the ball. He restores big-play capability from our backfield to the offense and that defenses will have to respect.

39. By Joe C. on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

So after reading the chat, lots of questions on AP and DJ after DJ is eligible to come off IR. I would think if AP is playing lights out the team would let DJ stay on IR longer if there was any question about if he was ready. Nu rush so to speak. And really, unless DJ could help in a playoff push why not just let him heal all year. Darren, is this realistic?

40. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2017 | Reply

Joe C. —

RE: David Johnson

If David is cleared and ready to play, I expect him to be activated.

41. By Dr. G. on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

I CAN’T BELIEVE MY EYES!! While watching the game, I thought my eyes weren’t seeing things correctly…#70 Boehm lined up as a Fullback in front of AD??

And while AD chose to go left, Boehm ran through a huge hole right of center. AD could have followed him as well for a big gain. Will we see this more and more…seems someone turned on a light for BA? .((AD?)) It was fantastic. A “”for real”” bruiser blocker for the RB & help for Palmer.

Me thinks AD may have had some influence on a number of things…not his 1st rodeo. He runs well on a repaired wheel.

Go Cards!!

42. By JTDG on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Here is an interesting fact;

Tyvon Branch leads the NFL in tackles with 55. Not just DBs but the whole league.

He has been flying under the radar but is playing out of his mind in the SS role the Jefferson played in last year.

The only other cardinal in the top 75 is Dansby at #46.

43. By Scott H on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Cards comeback against Buccs

Oh, it was definitely before your time ( covering the team, that is ). My memory can be amazing at times but I can’t even remember if the Cards were still in St Louis at the time or had moved to Phoenix. I know the Buccs were still wearing the cream-sicle uniforms…..but I remember renting a video ( yes, a VHS video! ) from NFL Films for the 10 biggest comebacks in NFL history ( at that time, anyway ) and the aforementioned win by the Cardinals against the Buccs was among them. Something for you to look up if you get a minute, perhaps?

BTW, were you a Cardinals fan before you went to work for the team as an insider? I don’t think I ever knew this.

44. By Darren Urban on Oct 18, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Fan

I don’t know if I’d say that. I hoped they would do well and it was cool in 1998. But I had been a newspaper reporter for a while. Kind of tempers things.

45. By Scott H on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Didn’t think I would be saying this after that loss to Philly ( grrrrrrr ) but this game on Sunday is, yet again, a statement game for the Cardinals…..a chance to either step up and get in the race or sit down. And I say yet again because since the start of LAST season, this team has just constantly hovered right below the .500 mark. Yeah, they reached the .500 mark a couple of times but they never got ABOVE it. And you have to get ABOVE it to be a team that anyone is going to take seriously.

So, if it seems like I’m mentioning this every other week or so, maybe it’s because the Cardinals are always hovering at or below .500 every other week or so.

Sooner or later, you have to be able to beat some good teams and string some wins together. Yeah, I keep saying that, too.

When this team actually does it, I’ll stop!

But here it is. Cardinals back at .500…..playing a winning team…..a division rival….and at that point where we’re all feeling like MAAAAAAAYBE this is where they can get over the hump.

This ain’t the Rams we’ve been used to. And, hell, even the Rams we’ve been used to have played us tough over the years. They’e been rolling on offense and we might be without PP….and in his absence, even a washed up Ryan Fitzpatrick was able to torch our defense.

Yeah. Ryan Fitzpatrick.

But it sure would be nice to get this one. Two wins in a row? Have we done that since 2015?? Isn’t it about time we did it again? Sure as hell is. And against a good team, all the better.

But I’ve started to feel like Charlie Brown after Lucy pulls the ball away yet again and I land flat on my back. Because every time I start to feel that little bit of hope and think this is it, this is where we turn the corner…….Lucy pulls that ball away again. AAAAAAARGH!

46. By Mark on Oct 17, 2017 | Reply

Well hopefully Mr Keim can pull off another trade for a decent number 2 corner. Bethel has been pretty terrible and teams have exploited that weakness game after game. I got to give him props for picking up Peterson and Boone tho.

47. By Scott H on Oct 18, 2017 | Reply

Two weeks ago, we got thoroughly un-dressed, beat down, asses kicked in all three phases, however you want to put it by a team with a good-looking 2nd year QB, a dynamic running game, and a nasty defense. And much improved coaching.

Hmmmm….sound anything like the team we are playing on Sunday? Yeah, it sure as hell does. We may as well be playing the Eagles again because it’s the same animal. Are we gonna be ready this time?

So, again, statement game. And we’re going to make a statement either way. A team with heart would HOPE for a game like this to go out, play better, and achieve a different outcome.

Again, statement game. And it’s gonna make a statement either way.

What they want to say is up to them.

BTW, I hear PP saying he is good to go and will be playing. And that is well, fine, and good but that is far from an official word on whether he’s playing or not.

AND, to go back to that Eagles game again, PP played that whole game and we still got tuned up 34-7. No, certainly not all PP’s fault but…..we got beat down, regardless. And our defense was really no better against the Buccs. Bottom line, there needs to be better preparation, better coaching, and better execution on Sunday regardless of who is on the field. Period.

Again, statement game.

48. By Joe C. on Oct 18, 2017 | Reply

Scott H. Honestly with three new starting o-lineman, a new RB and Buc back, not to mention some depth in the secondary its hard to call this the same team that got their butts handed to them by Philly. Granted, we need to see more than one game, but there is hope. And like I’ve been saying all year, the NFC West is there for the taking at .00, maybe 9-7 and if we peak at the right time, have a couple more players emerge….But I’m getting ahead of myself. It would be nice to get this win and see what happens.

49. By Scott H on Oct 18, 2017 | Reply

Joe C.

I guess it really depends what angle you want to look at it from. I’m looking at a defense that allowed 34 pts against Philly and 33 against Tampa. Not much changed or improved on that side of the ball.

Now, the offense, different story. And I loved a lot of what I saw there. What was not to love???

But really? We came very close to what would have been a historic collapse. We needed every one of those 38 points to hold on for that win. Would have felt a lot better if our defense could have stood up at some point and turned out the lights.

If our defense is going to get shot up like this on a regular basis, I don’t know that we can count on the offense to bail us out at the same rate. And in the Rams, we have a team coming up that is scoring points in bunches. We may not have to wait long to see how this is going to go.

Bottom line, this defense HAS to get better.

50. By clssylssy on Oct 19, 2017 | Reply

Our defense is weak at best and only gets worse when we go to zone and nobody seems to know what to do. We need all hands on deck with heads up and no slackers or starring around after a play. This defense needs to learn to finish the game.i don’t want to seee the Honey Badger disappoint his English fans, so let’s bring on the Badger!
    Just because we were great out of the gate (at home) doesn’t mean a lot since we have a lot of catching up to do. This is one of the best teams in the NFL, not to mention our division, and they are young, strong, innovative and have the passion we’ve lacked for a number of years. They are bigger, stronger, and younger but we have the experience and knowledge plus a couple cases of Geritol could get us a win! GO CARDS!
    (We still need a better DC)

51. By Joe C. on Oct 19, 2017 | Reply

One of the best teams in the NFL? Please. Yes we need to show a lot more. One game doesn’t make the offense. the defense is good. Its hard to judge how good. I think if the offense continues clicking the defense will benefit. If the offense reverts to 3 and out we don’t have a chance. The team will be lucky to be 9-7. But if they get to 9-7 and make the playoffs then momentum from the last few games will be far more important than anything we’ve seen so far.