Carson Palmer’s chances of a quicker return

Posted by Darren Urban on October 25, 2017 – 9:42 am

Bruce Arians originally thought Carson Palmer would be out eight weeks, but he said the quarterback was hoping it would be more in the 4-to-6-week range. If that ends up being the case — and there is apparently reason to believe it could be — that would be the best case scenario. Palmer was expected to have his surgery on his broken left arm today.

Former NFL team doctor David Chao writes articles about NFL injuries for the San Diego Union-Tribune and, via Twitter, often makes a general prognosis on an athlete’s injuries based on video review. In Palmer’s case, Chao also wrote an article about the part-time San Diego resident, saying that a return in 4-to-6 weeks makes a lot of sense. According to Chao, the video seems to show an isolated ulna fracture in the forearm. Other position players Chao had helped when he was a team doctor actually came back with a splint in as little as two weeks. Palmer likely needs more time given how much he handles the ball, but having him in a spot to play with a protected left (non-throwing) arm is possible in a little over a month. There is an outside chance, thanks to the bye, that Palmer could miss as few as three games.

The timing of all this is crucial because a trip to injured reserve means Palmer would have to miss eight weeks minimum. Keeping him off IR means he can return whenever — and would also keep the door open so that both running back T.J. Logan and David Johnson could be brought off IR and could both still play again this year.

Tags: , , ,

40 Responses to “Carson Palmer’s chances of a quicker return”

1. By Jon on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Well that’s actually shockingly good news. Cool

2. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

CP will lead us to 9-7! 🙂 He’s an ironman

3. By 'ZonaFan89 on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Palmer missing 3 games, or 4 at the most, is what I’ve been expecting since Dr. Chao’s article was written a couple days ago. I think the fan base is quick to fall into ‘doomsday’ mode too early, especially in this case. If we can beat San Fran (which we should be able to do even without Palmer), and possibly steal another win until he gets back, I’d say be able to hang on to some playoff hope longer than most people expect.

4. By Erik on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Palmer or no Palmer, this team is not making it to 9-7. They are straight up awful.

Is there a way to write the team similar to writing your congressman? Because management needs to step in and force BA to play Gabbert. There is absolutely zero point in playing Stanton. We know he is bad and he is certainly not the future quarterback of this team. Gabbert at least has a small chance to show he can be that, which is, frankly, one of the only reasons to continue watching this team play.

I am not a season ticket holder, but I have been to at least one game a year for about the last 10 years. I’m not going to buy tickets this year and I’m wondering if I even want to spend time watching on tv.

Something needs to be done to provide hope. As others have said, they are doing the same thing expecting different results, which is insane. My two cents, find someone who can actually play on the d line and get rid of Bettcher and Amos. Wishful thinking, I know.

5. By clssylssy on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

I too read the article written by Dr. Chao, and I had wondered if the team hadn’t been looking at the worse case scenario in the beginning, A trip to IR would have no doubt meant the end of his seeason. This is good news however, with the 0-line as weak as it is, I might hesitate to send my QB with a freshly healed fracture back into the same situation that got him injured in the first place? Carson being the warrior he is, I’m sure will be pushing to get back but this would be a very good time to really make an effort to get him some help up front.
    I guess with the addition of AD, I’m wondering what the push is all about to bring back TJ, except for punt returns, which would be great if it really panned out that way, I’m assuming they are still planning to bring back DJ but, there has been little said about that so I’m wondering what his status is and if he’s progressing on pace.
    The business at hand now is to go out and win one game at a time, and I’m hoping that we don’t underestimate the 49ers, who until last week had only lost their games by 3 points and were looking much faster and more physical than the Cards. We can do this, and the next time we meet the Sheep we’ll be in our house and hopefully be looking for some retribution.

6. By Scott H on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Erik –

My man, I love it when people keep it real. And that last post was about as straight up as it gets. Unfortunately, I agree with everything you said.

7. By Scott H on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

I meant to get to this sooner but never did. For anyone who watched the Eagles Redskins game on MNF ( or at least the first half ), did you hear Gruden’s comments on DJ Swearinger? I heard them loud and clear. Following a particular play, Gruden described Swearinger as a guy who looks for contact with big RB’s like Blount, they love his physical style and presence in Washington, and made him one of their captains during the off-season.

Yup. Pretty much what I would have expected ( even if not the captain part ).

I fully expected him to do well wherever he went and for whatever team picked him up to be happy with him.

What THIS organization didn’t see in him is beyond me. He was a total playmaker for this team last year, ala Dansby back in 2013, Cromartie, Foote, and Freeney.

And ya know what? None of those players were kept beyond their one-year deals, either. Which is why I’ve had it with Keim and his one year deals ( aka Steve Keim Specials ). Said it before, will say it again – that is NOT how you build a team.

DJ Swearinger was NOT going to break anyone’s budget by keeping him here after 2016. But out the door he went. Another player we apparently didn’t need. But look at the way this defense is playing and you can CLEARLY see how much his physical presence and demeanor ARE missed. We’re not getting that from anyone so far.

As much as I didn’t want to see Campbell leave, I understood that there was no way he was staying. OK. That sucks but….I get it. Maybe it was the same with Tony Jefferson. But Swearinger was the guy whose departure REALLY pissed me off because he seemed like the most keep-able of the guys that left.

We are missing him BADLY this year. And it didn’t have to be that way.

Keim is looking like another old dog that just can’t learn any new tricks. And his old tricks aren’t working anymore.

8. By Scott H on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Yeah, but with the way THIS O-line has played……is that really in Palmer’s best interests??

9. By Jerry on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

When you consider the number of big hits Palmer has taken this year, and no hope the offensive line will improve, would you really want to bring him back in 4 weeks? Don’t think so!

10. By joe holst on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

does it really matter? Special teams has destroyed this team from the inside out the last 2 years combined with terrible offensive line play. just start dismantling this mess and start over.

11. By Eric G on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Before the injury, this was a 6 win team at best. With the injury, it is a 4 win team at best. The defense is awful because Bettcher calls awful and predictable defenses on third down. The offensive line isn’t good enough to get 30+ points each game to outscore the other team to win. The season is over. It’s time to start thinking about next year. Hopefully without Keim, Bettcher, and Amos Jones.

Wonder how true are the Arians retirement rumors. I don’t want to get rid of him as he has done a great job for the most part.

12. By TucsonTim on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Seahawks sign Freeny…and the hits just keep on comin

13. By Chris G. on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Bringing TJ Logan back for punt returns makes no sense. The other teams rarely need to punt. I can, however, see him doing more kick returns after the other teams score.

14. By JTDG on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Chris G,

Logan return;

That is Sad, true, and funny at the same time.

15. By JTDG on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Bruce Arians retirement;

Here is my take.

First;
    Last year, he had the cancer scare along with some other health issues. He made a comment this year about maybe this is his last year maybe not, which leads one to think he is at least considering it.
    He left coaching at Temple because of health issues.

So, all that has to come into consideration.

Second;
    BA said he was going to do things his way. I think of the cards as a bell curve. He came in and the team improved each year to its height in 2015, then has been on the decline with a team that may finish with less wins than last year.

He has a QB who is 38 and has a broken arm. There are some serious holes in the team and he has a defense that isn’t going to stop anyone. How can he win shoot outs with Stanton?

That has to weigh on his mind.

Third;
    One more year. If he comes back to make another run at it, does he have a team that can make a run at it ? Is Palmer and Fitz up for another run? He gets DJ back, which is huge. They can free up some money by releasing Iupati and Veldheer and fix the oline. But can he fix the defense?

The defense needs more than a LB or a CB2. Something is clearly lacking and I believe it is the DC. On special teams, they have been anything less than special.Is BA willing to make moves to make sure his team makes a run at a superbowl? I think his loyalty to his coaches will weigh in on this decision.

Forth;
    It may not be his decision to come back. MB may want the cards to finally draft a QB. Do you do that with a coach on his way out? I wouldn’t. It rarely works.

So, with the facts that his health has been an issue, his team is clearly on a decline, he may not have a team good enough to make a run and the pressure of drafting a QB all could point to the possibility of BA leaving.

Whether the story was right or not, doesn’t matter. It is easy for one to look at the situation and draw this as a possible conclusion.

16. By JTDG on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

As for QBs in the draft;

1. Sam Darnald – I think Sam returns to school for his Junior year. He is so physically gifted, he might be #1 overall. But that may not be a good situation for him as he has some work still to do.

2. Josh Rosen – He is interesting because he is a junior and could still go back to school. To me, this is a 50/50 call on weather he comes out. I would think if Darnald stays, Rosen comes out.

3. Mason Rudolph – he is a senior, so there is no doubt on this one. He doesn’t make it out of the top 10.

4. Josh Allen – I am high on this guy. He is only a junior, but he has nothing to go back to. His team is so bad, he can barely throw a pass. When he does, he throws strikes to receivers who drop the ball. This guy is going to be a good one if paired with the right coach.

5. Lamar Jackson – another Junior. Questions whether he will come out. It will depend on his pre-draft advice. You like Mike Vick, here he is without the dog fighting. With Darnald out of the mix, could I see the Browns taking him #1 ? Absolutely.

6. Luke Falk – Senior. I think he will fight to get into the first round. A team with an aging QB may draft him (ala, chargers, Giants).

7. Baker Mayfield – senior, most likely a second rounder. He fits the mold of, if you like Jake Plummer, you like Mayfield.

Again, I think Darnald waits another year, therefore, I think the cards should be zeroing in on Rudolph or Allen.

17. By Scott H on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Quoting from the piece about Tramon’s new role as a starter – “Bethel’s struggles all but forced a change….”

Really? You think?

I guess we can sail the failure in progress has finally failed.

In a recent post, I spoke about what I saw a legitimate disconnect between the GM and the HC. The GM signs nothing but over-30 players during the off-season, then the HC comes out and wants to suggest youth as a reason for some of the problems.

Really? Geez, I meant it to be funny at the time, but…..THAT is just two guys that don’t seem to be on the same wavelength. And in regard to funny…..I know I’m not laughing much these days. Anyone else?

So, now…..last year, we had a HC that came out and called Justin Bethel a failure in progress at CB. And then the GM followed by doing NOTHING to address our needs at that position and we rolled into 2017 with that failure as a starter.

Again, HOW is that not a dis-connect? And just how much of the utter debacle that has been does this explain?

So many questions…..so few answers. Not from our GM, anyway.

Darren, I do thank you for at least using Justin Bethel’s name and the word “struggles” in the same sentence. Really, there’s no harm in SAYING it when we’re SEEING it on the field every week.

18. By creditcard on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Totally agree with Scott H on Swearinger. I also am upset with the release of Christensen — that he went to the Rams. I was amazed that the team would release playmakers.

The one year deals (Kiem specials) is only putting bandaids on certain positions, it is not fixing the underlying two major problems:

1. Inadequate or poor drafting

2. Inadequate or poor coaching techniques

I also agree with JTDG about Arians. I like Arians and his candid answers, but his responses are more and more sound like rhetoric. It just feels to me, that Arians is “unofficially” retired as we speak.

Lastly it has taken 6 weeks for the coaches to come to the understanding that Bethel doesn’t have it. My guess, week 14 (6-games into the Stanton experiment), coaches will then turn the reigns over to Gabbert.

19. By Richard S on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

Unrelated, but when the Cardinals were consistently winning, it was cute to see the losing bucket tossing QB dress up funny before the game. Now that they are going through trying times, I don’t think it’s so cute anymore. It might even be a distraction for the team that should be thinking of other things.

20. By clssylssy on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

With the trade deadline fast approaching at 4 pm Oct. 31st, I’m wondering if due to recent events, there has been any signs of life in the FO that would indicate some positive news for Cards fans, such as improvement to the O-line or defensive improvements? I rread an ESPN article speculating about a John Brown trade to the Bills to help them with playoffs, but it didn’t seem to be a serious statement of fact, although I could picture Keim making such a trade.
    Darren, have you heard anything that you can report on along these lines that might give Cards fans some hope?

21. By Coach K on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

This team reminds me of the “Over the hills gang” Washington Redskins when George Allen signed all those old vets to make a run at the superbowl.

I’d love to see a miracle like that happen for this team. Especially for Larry.

Picture the perfect movie. Gabbert manages to win half a dozen games and the Cards barely make it in as a wild card. During the playoff game, Gabbert hurts his arm and Here comes Carson with a soft cast on his left arm.

Carson, Larry and AP make a final historic effort and end up in the Superbowl and winning it on a Fitz catch who is tackled on the five yard line with no time remaining and at the last minute laterals the ball to AP who takes it in for the winning score with no time left.

Okay, I’m awake now. Was that a real movie, or a dream?

22. By Coach K on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

JTDG

You hit the nail on the head again my friend.

The problem with the defense is the DC

The problem with the team this year is Keim letting too many impact players leave with those one year deals, and the horrific loss of Campbell. They should have kept Campbell as all cost.

Betcher was simply not ready. At times, BA was calling a few defensive calls as he admitted two weeks ago. Point differential proves a complete failure of our defense. I’m still waiting to learn what coach is teaching Reddick the different outside rushing techniques.

23. By Cardinalchris on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

On one hand, I would HATE seeing Larry in another Teams colors. On the other, I hate seeing his career ending with the stank associated with this team. I would love to see him in the playoffs again – playing for anyone…

So trade deadline? not gonna happen, but something to root for on a bye week.

24. By Dr. G. on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

We need to see where the team is after a few more games before consideration of Palmer returning is reasonable…makes no sense if we don’t at least have a wild card shot…unlikely at this juncture.

25. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Oct 25, 2017 | Reply

I read in the Sports section today that the General Manager of the New York Giants took responsibility for the record of the team, saying that he assembled the roster.

How honest and accountable.

Too bad that Keim doesn’t do the same for the Cards.

26. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

Remember Paul Westphal after Suns went down 2-0 to LA in first round ” well, we’ll win, tonight then we’ll go home and win, then we’ll come back here and win”.

“So, you’re saying there is a chance?”

27. By clssylssy on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

Gabbard vs. Stanton

For all those who seem to be on the Gabbard train, do you ever wonder why the 9ers didn’t keep him? I mean, considering their situation, if he was as good as many believe why wouldn’t they have held on to him? I guess, I’m just wanting to hear a logical argument for his case. I’m not against him, I like the fact that he is a mobile QB, however, he has had problems with accuracy and the only real upside I can see IS his mobility. Certainly, he doesn’t have the chemistry with the team yet b/c, that is something that develops over time.
    Stanton is a backup QB and we HAVE won games with him under center. The players are comfortable with him and he has a chemistry with the team by virtue of his longevity here and the fact that he’s been there, done that, coming in for Carson before.
    With the likelihood that Palmer will only be out 3-4 weeks, it seems that at least starting with Drew makes sense and that this entire issue has taken on a life of it’s own that is merely this week’s version of “let’s kick Bethel” since he’s now been replaced with Williams as starter.
    I think we all know that the players aren’t really the problem but, I’m curious about the logic driving the Gabbard train? I suspect that if Gabbard were made the starter and failed, it would be b/c of the play calling, Or, maybe that’s the real motivation?

28. By aschatte on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

makes no sense to come back to this garbage – Palmer should just think of retiring! ….Let Stanton start and probably he will be on IR too. Even if Kapernick started for this organization, he wouldnt have a chance in hell to do well. This team has become the ultimate laughing stock, if it werent already. The days of Kurt Warner need to be cherished – this organization needs a complete overhaul from ownership to coaches – The Hawks and Rams rule this division now.

29. By erik on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

My argument for why Gabbert should play over Stanton:

My very first (and really only) point is that this team is not even going to go .500, let alone make the playoffs.

If this was a playoff bound team and Palmer was out for 4-6 games, I would not even question why Stanton is starting. It would make sense because they would just want to maintain their standing.

But, that is not the case with this team. I don’t think any reasonable person expects Stanton to take over the starting position next if year if Palmer retires. There is a chance (a very small chance) that Gabbert can be that person to take over. I would rather see what he can do.

30. By erik on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

-Clssy

Also, to your last point, I do think a lot of the players are a part of the problem (in addition to coaching). I don’t think the roster that Keim has assembled is all that talented, frankly.

31. By Cardinalchris on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

When did Gabbard get on the roster? Did we make a trade?

32. By TucsonTim on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

Just read Palmer is on IR. Sorry to hear that. Feel really bad for him.

33. By JTDG on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

clssy,

Gabbert vs Stanton;

The argument Eric presents is it in a nut shell.

The cards are 3-4 right now. Palmer is out for 8 weeks or 7 games. Those 7 games are;
    At Niners
    Seahawks
    At Texans
    Jaguars
    Rams
    Titans
    At Redskins

Then, if it was a perfect world, Palmer is back for Giants and Seahawks.

OK, with Stanton at the helm, which of these are wins? I see us at 2-5 over that stretch. That makes us 5-9 when Palmer comes back. Let’s say even by some miracle we are 6-8 or a true miracle of 7-7. We still aren’t in the playoffs.

This argument of 9-7 in the playoffs is a pipe dream. Right now, we are 12th in the NFC. 6 teams go. So with Stanton at the helm, we will jump 7 teams (or hope those 7 teams collapse) It is not logical.

So, the Gabbert argument stems from the fact that if AZ parts way with Palmer in 2018, there is no need to bring back Stanton. So, who is the starter? I think people want to see if Gabbert could be that guy.

Is he? Probably not. But we are 100% sure that Stanton should not be the 2018 starting QB. What happens when 2018 rolls around and we have no QB on the roster?

Overpay for Gabbert? He will be a FA and you really aren’t sure if he should be resigned are you? Over pay Garrapolo? Hope for Alex Smith to be released? Grab Teddy Bridgewater? Go with a rookie?

I think fans want to see if Gabbert has anything. They know Stanton isn’t a starter. and Frankly, most think the season is over at this point.

34. By clssylssy on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

Erik…
    Well, obviously we aren’t a .500 team and Palmer’s not coming back this season.
    We have had success with Stanton and the players are comfortable with him and trust him, which, at this point, means a lot if we are to win even a few more games. I think there’s a chance we could win this game with the 9ers (not putting money on it though) then we have the Seahawks at home…Arg. We still have Larry and AD, and a few up and down receivers on offense and that’s about it as far as consistency with only P Peterson and C Jones on defense. We have seen some good plays out of T Williams, Bethea, so, not counting this game out as yet.
    We could always have surprises…and wouldn’t that be wonderful!
    If Keim would bring in anybody before the trade deadline, I wouldn’t give up on the team just yet. As far as talent goes, I disagree with you in that I think the young talent is here only we have nobody to develop it. This has been an ongoing problem with Keim taking “dark horse” picks in the draft only to have them fail b/c of a lack of coaching and development; we cut them or trade them and they become instantly successful on other teams.
    Having been around sports injuries all my life, I’m really kinda at a loss for why the organization has been so in the dark about Carson’s broken arm and the. .”.he won’t be back, he will, he won’t be back “melodrama. Orthopedics aren’t that much of a mystery unless there are complications, so why the games? The decision to place him on IR says to me that they have decided to tank the season and at this point it won’t make any difference who is playing QB.
    It will be interesting to see if the FO does anything this week; I have a feeling the players have known from the outset that they were being sold out and hense their lack of motivation.

35. By Dr. G. on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

AdamSmith… well, we have to say Westy ((Westphal)) was quite a visionary with his prediction for the Suns. I knew him well…after some time, I hesitated, but invited him to the Phoenix Country Club to play tennis.

As a circuit player, I took it a little easy on him, and ended up buying the drinks! He is good at everything!! A fantastic person…I somehow wish we could find a braniac like him to coach the Cards… no bs and understands all the personalities. Can we find a man like that for 2018??

36. By clssylssy on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

JTDG,,,
    OK,,,i agree with you for the most part. In the next nine games I see may two or three possible wins, if we’re on our game. If you’ve watched the 9ers, they are much faster and physical than we are (especially at home) and until last week had only lost by three points. So, I’m not real sure we’ve necessarily got that one in the bag, no matter who is under center but Stanton has a better knowledge of the team and BA. Gabbard looked decent in preseason but that was preseason. I keep thinking that if he had anything San Francisco would have kept him b/c they really wouldn’t have had anything to lose.
    Agreed Stanton is a backup and he’s been in the league ten years, is tenured and is probably thinking about retirement himself–not part of the Cardinal plan for the future. But, I really don’t see Gabbard as having any future here either. As you have pointed out previously and I wholeheartedly agree, a new coach/GM will want to bring in their own people or draft a new guy. I could see Palmer helping a new guy ease his way in IF we’re not talking about a new HC/GM, in which case it won’t matter bc things will likely be completely different. If they keep Keim around, I expect more of the same bad draft picks, same bad decisions and just plain more of the same ole, same ole.
    At this point, i doubt that it will make that much difference and behind this 0-line we may lose them both before it’s all over but I would go with the guy who the players feel most comfortable and have the most familiarity with (Stanton) and throw Gabbard in periodically for special series to see how it goes. I think creating mismatches and surprise plays -creative play calling -is going to be our best bet,

37. By JTDG on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

One last comment;

The team is 3-4 with Palmer.

Do you think the team is better or worse without Palmer?
    Whoever they play at QB will most definitely be a step backwards. 2-5 over these next 7 games makes sense.

38. By clssylssy on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

JTDG
    Palmer is a Team Captain and leader, despite what you may think of him as a QB. He has is tough and has been in the game long enough to have certain instincts that Gabbard can’t possibly have by virtue of the fact that he hasn’t the experience either with this franchise or even in the league, although he’s bounced around a lot. Stanton knows this offense, he has chemistry with not only the team but with the coach which give him an advantange. If our defense was what we had last year, I think we would have a shot at the playoffs with or without Palmer. When Keim gutted our defense and didn’t do anything to replace the players we lost, he all but stacked the deck against having any kind of a winning season. If you look around the league, the competitive teams have moved to a more physical and fast defense. The Ravens game last night is a good example of what can be done when you have a winning defense and an organization that is committed to the win. They were coming off a three game losing streak but totally decimated the Phins even after losing their QB! Now that’s what I call a REAL bird team!

39. By Dan on Oct 28, 2017 | Reply

On that note, can’t even sell my tickets for 50% what I paid……the people have spoken……..tv revenue tanks next……..then jobs……….ticket prices…….u get the picture……..people have better things to do, obviously……..this isn’t football anymore……its politics and a bunch of spoiled babies. World is a joke.

2. Oct 26, 2017: Cardinals Blogs | Palmer, IR and the hard decisions