Palmer, IR and the hard decisions

Posted by Darren Urban on October 26, 2017 – 1:39 pm

So much for the Carson Palmer optimism.

The Cardinals officially put their quarterback on injured reserve Thursday. It means he is out at least eight weeks, it means he could at most play two more games, it means someone — likely T.J. Logan, but maybe Palmer, after all this — cannot come back this season. If Palmer indeed was going to be able to return sooner, you leave him on the 53-man roster and try and massage those inactives for a month-plus. But the Cards felt they needed the roster spot, and so Palmer is on the sideline. If the news after Wednesday’s surgery was definitive enough, then there is no reason not to IR him.

There is an open roster spot but Bruce Arians has already said it won’t go to a quarterback. Who they add (and it might not be until Monday or Tuesday, since the Cards are off until then) will be interesting. Wonder if there is a pass rusher out there who might be able to help out the struggling Haason Reddick in that regard. Also, is there still confidence in David Johnson coming back? I am guessing yes.

Mostly though, you think of Palmer. Unless the Cardinals can stay in the playoff hunt, it may not make sense to bring Palmer back for the last two games of the season. And yes, it makes you start to wonder if he has thrown his last pass for the Cardinals. If he returns, it’s a moot point — and don’t forget Arians said if Palmer was IR’d the Cards would “definitely” save one of their IR-return moves for him. (Again, teams only can bring two players back from IR in a season, after a minimum of eight weeks.) Palmer is also under contract for 2018. But is he going to play another year? There are still nine games left in this season, but the reality of the 2018 offseason and the potential changes to this team are hard to ignore.

Tags: , , , ,

47 Responses to “Palmer, IR and the hard decisions”

1. By joe holst on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

teams should be allowed to bring back any player that is ready to be off the IR if they wish too, having a 2 player limit is a outdated idea and makes zero sense.

2. By Steve on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

I feel that Carson Palmer has played his last game for the Arizona Cardinals. I liked him and wish he had a season where the injury bug didn’t bite him… We were 9-1 when he tore his ACL, 13-2 when he dislocated his finger… It appears now that those were the best chances of a super bowl… I stated this the other day…now is the time to land Garoppolo from the Patriots. I thought that Tyran Mathieu would be a good start, He will be walking from the Patriots next year and they wont get anything for him. Also just read that Dunta Hightower has a torn pec.so even Deone Buchanon for Garoppolo would entice them …so Steve Keim maybe this is the time to get your future quarterback.

3. By Scott H on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

I think one decision that should NOT be so hard is the decision to give Blaine Gabbert a look over the 2nd half of the season. To me, that is a no brainer. But…..no further comment on that. Nothing else to say. Going with Stanton at this point is just plain foolish.

And as to wondering if there might be a pass rusher out there who could help…..Oh, you mean like Dwight Freeney? Who just signed with the Seahawks? Him? Yeah, there WAS a pass rusher out there who could have helped. Now he’s gonna be helping the Seahawks.

4. By Bill Thompson on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

This sucks! Go bye, Carson; enjoy retirement: family, travel, etc. Too bad we didn’t protect you; this team should have been better. But wise people say: you are what your record is.

5. By azjam on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

Palmer is not coming back this year. Put TJ Logan on the active roster.

6. By Tradersbrain on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

The window for this team is closed. I agree with Peter King of SI, that CP should come back in 2018 to mentor the Card’s first round pick. Much like Kitna mentored CP in Cincy.

7. By JTDG on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

” There are still nine games left in this season, but the reality of the 2018 offseason and the potential changes to this team are hard to ignore.”

A very true statement.

Question is, do we feel the current front office will make those tough decisions to move the cards forward in 2018 and beyond?

8. By erik on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

No question now, Gabbert must play.

9. By Jo Ball on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

Soooo it looks like coach is definitely going with Stanton. Honestly, I’ve had enough of Bruce. Completely out of touch with his team.. stubborn .. and will stick to his way regardless of the situation. This is the man who admits that he doesn’t need to study film because “the game ain’t that hard” ., well Bruce .. it looks like it is. So now, we’re going to ride the Stanton train. The QB with the completion rate of just above 50%.. I’m sure this is going to go great. For everyone who says “he’s gotta a winning record” .. give me a break. This year, he won’t have the defense bailing him out as the defense has gone from the strength of this team.. to its weakness. Look, I’m not saying Gabbert is the next coming of Tom Brady, I’m just saying that it just makes more sense. Everyone can see that except Coach. This team needs some major changes..: and don’t expect those changes to come with Bruce. With this regime, changes rarely ever come and when they do.. it’s painfully slow (Think Drew Butler… the ever lasting train wreck that is Amos Jones). To suck in year 5 is a bad sign for coach and GM. Either you’re not bringing in the right players or you can’t coach to your team’s strengths. Unfortunately for the cardinals, it looks like it’s both. Either way, it’s a failure. It’s no panic mode here, we’re just not a good team. A backup QB to an already struggling offense, a defense that’s next to last in points allowed and a special teams that’s simply horrific … these are just facts. Making excuses for Bruce is getting really old. If he doesn’t want to put in the hours, if he’s concerned with his health, if he wants to spend more time with his family… he should just retire and let someone who is willing and able to coach this team.

10. By DZ on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

Carson, listen to your corner, STAY DOWN!!, STAY DOWN!!.
    Take the 10 count.
    Thank you for coming here and withstanding the brutal beatings over the past few years. I will always remember those perfect passes that were placed with that perfect spiral you had when you had time to make the play.
    Unfortunately I will always remember the Offensive linemen standing close by offering you a hand up off the turf.. I always wished just once refuse their gesture because it seemed like if they helped you up, it made up for them being responsible for you being there in the first place. Man that would piss me off every time you got hammered and the blocker was right there watching it happen and be the first to offer a hand up.
    You don’t need to prove anything to anyone and millions of guys would trade their careers for yours any day.
    You always got back up and brushed yourself off and never put the blame where we all know it belongs. Your linemen and coaches failed you miserably.

11. By aschatte on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

All I am going to say this Fitz belonging to AZ and staying in AZ is rubbish…Cards dont have a copyright on Fitz nor do they on winning – If Fitz wants to play, its essential that he plays with a Playoff/SB bound winning team in 2018 and not with this pile of complete rubbish that Keim managed to blunder out further. Carson will retire, makes no sense for him to play another season and even if he wanted to play, its time this organization does something which was needed years ago – get a high draft QB and pray that the coaching doesnt mess him up. If you want to lose, lose with a young Mobile QB – young mobile QBs seem to be doing well in this league. Just cant believe how horrendous this team and its coach management have become. The last time AZ was blanked out in 2012, team decided to start from scratch – hopefully sense prevails and the rebuilding can begin. Somewhere Calais Campbell and Tony Jefferson are smiling

12. By Cactus Jeff on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

How can anyone be surprised that Campbell is dominating? Most on this blog knew he was great and made others better. He was the front 7 ever since Dansby and Dockett left back in the day. Only ones surprised are Keim, BA, Burns and Gambo (no offense I like listening to burns and Gambo). Further, we knew honey badger was done, Shipley is not a NFL player, Bethel can’t locate ball in the air. The first time we saw Kolb, Cooper and Minter in uniforms we yelled Bust!

Here is something to think about,
    Would you rather have David Johnson or a stable of RBs like the patriots? Would you rather have AJ Green or a stable of WRs like the patriots?
    Would you rather have Patrick Peterson or a stable of DBs like the Patriots?

13. By Scott H on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

Again, I can only feel sorry for Palmer. This is just a lousy end for him. He is a good guy….a tough guy…..he gave us the best he had to give.

But now, I’ll say this – I actually hope this is the end of the Carson Palmer era. Because this team needs to move on. Any hope that it was going to happen with Palmer at QB is gone. It’s not happening. Not this year, not next. It’s over. Even if I DID believe Palmer had enough left to be that guy, face it – there is NOWHERE near enough of a team around him.

It is time to blow it up and start over. For once, we need to do it right. We don’t have a team we can plug a QB like Warner into and it might just happen. We need to build a house by laying a solid foundation and going from the ground up and the inside out. We need a young QB to build around and maybe even before we find him, we need a stellar O-line to put that QB behind.

With DJ as young as he is, we have that piece in place.

It is time to say good=bye to Carson Palmer. And I wish him all the best….I thank him for giving us his best…..but I don’t think this is a bad thing. He needs to move on. And so do we.

14. By georgiebird on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

Time to move on. The Cards were never going to win big games with Palmer. And the defense is not payoff quality
    The Cards had a window during the past few seasons and could not close the deal. Time to start over with a new cast.

15. By Steve W on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

Funny how public sentiment can turn so quickly from hailing BA and Keim as heroes to blaming them as incompetent oafs. It’s crazy to me how so many fans think they know so much more than the coaches about how the game is played, and what the team needs in terms of personnel and strategy.

Cards have had some hard luck over the past couple of seasons, and yes there have been mistakes made. But I’m fairly confident that the players and the coaches feel a hell of a lot worse than the fans do about their situation. And I guarantee you that even if the coaching staff is sacked and the fans who called for their heads get everything they think they need, their opinion will change quickly if things go south again. I suppose that’s just the way of it.

The season is not done yet, there are still a lot of games to be played. Will Stanton come through as the backup QB? Can our defense pull it together and start making some stops? Will our offensive line start keeping our QB upright? Time will tell, and I hope they do all those things and more so that when we get Carson and DJ back we’ll be in position to make a deep playoff run. I’m still a fan of the Cards and have been since they moved to AZ and for the many years since I moved out of state. It sucks to watch them lose, but I have some pretty good memories too – especially in the past several years. I hope to have many more in the near future as well.

I’ll tell you one thing though, it’s almost harder reading the vitriolic attacks on the Cards coaching staff and players in the comments on this blog page than it is watching the team lose their games. I’m still a fan of Darren’s blogs and articles, but I’m done reading the feedback here – I’d rather see those horrible bot replies in the articles page.

Rant done. Now back to your regular anger-fueled programming…

16. By creditcard on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

Carson Palmer is not only a very good quarterback and team leader, but he is also a classy person. When Palmer was getting countless hits / beatings during the last two seasons– he never pointed a finger, but rather stated the need for his and team improvement.

I doubt if Carson Palmer will play next year. I will miss his toughness and professionalism. It is a shame his career is ending on such a dower note (injury and team in shambles).

17. By creditcard on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

I have to agree with Scott H about the foolishness of playing Stanton the rest of the way. Makes zero sense.

The Cards defense is lost, poorly coached and over-all outmatched. Thus, Stanton will not have the benefit of the defense carrying the game — he must carry the team. As I am typing this, I recognize on how impossible it is for Stanton to carry ANY team, especially the Cards with our woeful defense. Plus, the fact that Stanton will more than likely NOT be on the 2018 Cardinal roster.

Even if Tom Brady were to suddenly quit the Patriots, and for whatever reason, decides to walk on with the Cardinals. I still do not think the Cardinals would make the playoffs with Brady as our QB, based on how lousy our defense, special teams, and offensive line plays. Therefore, playing Stanton will not enhance our chances of winning. Playing Stanton provides no short term, intermediate term or long term benefit to the organization.

Playing Gabbert gains the organization could gain a better understanding of next year’s QB scenario, and drafting needs.

Absolutely mind blowing right now, totally foolish.

18. By Big Ken on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

I like TJ Logan but he is a rookie and untested. I see the issue as well as the strategy. Leave the door open for Palmer and bring TJ back next season. But now what? Ride with Stanton? The last time Palmer was lost Stanton followed in his footsteps. Lets see what we have in Mr. Gabbert. Do we all remember a few weeks ago BA praised the signing, could say enough good about Blaine.

19. By clssylssy on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

@aschatte…
    Again, it is not our place to decide where Fitz plays. He has had the opportunity to leave for greener pastures and has elected to stay with the Cards, wanting to playout his career here. His contract is up at the end of the season, and I suspect he will ride off into the sunset at that time, having given it one last try here. He stated previously that he did not want to break in a new QB, and after the way this season was mishandled, I have a feeling that there will be a massive house cleanaing. If not, then you can expect more of the same; this FO has already demonstrated they can’t find their— way with both hands, a flashlight and a map.
    @JTDG
    Nine games left and maybe two wins if we’re lucky. I do agree with you that Stanton is a backup, but, he is a knowledgeable backup, which in my book puts him ahead of Gabbard, who I don’t see being anything more than a 3rd stringer and not a part of the Organization’s future. As I pointed out before, if he were any good, the 9ers would have kept him and while he looked good in preseason, remember it was preseason. Matt Barkley also looked fairly good in preseason and where is he now? Carson has another year on his contract, and I could see the Organization using him to help coach up a rookie or more likely, help a younger guy, like Cousins or Bridgewater learn the offense. As you’ve pointed out before, and I agree with, a new coaching staff will want to bring in their own people and pick their own QB to live or die by. The one thing I am certain of is that if they retain Keim and get rid of everyone else, the Cards will continue down the same road suffering with Keim’s bad picks.
    Watching the Ravens game tonight, the announcer kept talking about what an intelligent veteran Jefferson was in his play, who came over from Arizona, and it about made me cringe at how Keim managed to decimate our defense with such ease!
    I’ve come to the conclusion that the only way this team will ever amount to anything is if Michael Bidwill sells the franchise and goes back to being a lawyer.

20. By TucsonTim on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

PLAYOFFS???…PLAYOFFS???

Oh my, this team is so much not about playoffs. That window closed 2 years ago. And that was a miracle of sorts.

This could be about rebuilding… got to be hard to come to work in this organization when you really know that the young Bidwill didn’t fall far from the tree.

Buying Challengers and trading in Citation X takes $$$. Every million below the cap is a million in your pocket. And 30M jets cost a lot to maintain.

Had a glimpse of hope but this is Bengals west.

Think this organization cares about you? Amos Jones still special teams coach??? What a joke. Good OLD boys taking care of OLD boys who aren’t very good.

Want to keep giving them your hard earned $$$??? Knock yourself out. I’m done. No hope no future.

Buy Bidwill another tank of jet fuel for his million dollar hobby. Every day he morphs into his father and that means one day your beloved team will take off to a new city when their half filled seats won’t be bought by sponsors.

Think I’m wrong….just watch. This is soooo predictable

21. By Ruben Lopez on Oct 26, 2017 | Reply

I just think Bruce Ariana should get his head out because he’s setting the cardinals up for failure with Stanton as the starter. My opinion is for arians to start gabbert he’s actually mobile anyways arians you need to step up or leave because this team needs a change fast.

22. By Rick on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

I believe we can still make a push here it`s definitely not out of reach yet guys. Most teams are sitting 4-3 or 3-4 like we are we just have to take it one game at a time. The defense really needs to step up in a BIG way if we are to make this happen. I would like to see us play more man and blitz more like we have in the past. We have the 49ers, Seahawks, Texans, Jaguars, Rams, Titans, Redskins. 4 of those games are played in our house thats right the place where teams go to get FALSE STARTS because of us as fans getting loud. I believe if we can win at least 4 out of 7 and keep our record at 500 for when we get David Johnson and Palmer back against the Giants and Seahawks we can finish the season at 9-7 and maybe just maybe get a wild card spot. I know a lot has to happen in our favor but I think if Drew Stanton just becomes a game manager for 7 games and hands the ball off to Peterson and control the clock and our defense plays up to their potential we can make this thing happen. I personally think we can win 5 out of the next 7 games but it starts next week in SFO. One game at a time guys lets support our team and show up these upcoming home games and be louder than ever. Lets go BIRDGANG!!!

23. By Coach K on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

If Stanton plays badly in our next game, or even average and we barely win, I still want to see Gabbert for the remainder of the season.

Gabberts up side is so much bigger than Stanton who is a serviceable backup. Stanton is the perfect relief pitcher. but he is NOT a starting QB.

I understand BA’s decision that a #3 does not start before a #2, but this next game will determine many things. I think BA knows full well that Gabbert has more tools than Stanton. So I expect Stanton to be on a quick hook early.

Look for Gabbert to be named starter after next game, win or lose.

24. By Coach K on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

KEIM TME BACKFIRES

We lose impact players on Defense and now we see result

Campbell
    Swearinger
    Jefferson

Losing those three really hurt.

Honey Badger has lost all aggression and is playing not to get hurt.

James Betcher’s zone blitz on every down has backfired and has
    turned our defense into a sieve.

Message to Keim: You don’t let IMPACT PLAYERS leave at any cost.

25. By Robert on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

their draft picks suck..thats the problem..i also think Arians is burnt out

26. By JTDG on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

Moving forward, here is a question I pose to Darren and anyone else;

Is Carson Palmer a HOFer?

He is 12th all time in yards with only HOFers or Future HOFers in the 11 spots ahead of him. BTW, Warner is 38th all time.

He is 12th in TDs all time with 294. just 6 away from Elway.

He is 20th all time in passing %. with a 62.5% completion %

He is a 3x’s Pro Bowler

All the players on the list around him are HOFs. So the question is, Is He?

Is it fair to judge him on playoff wins and super bowls ? Palmer only has one playoff win.

Could those 6 TDs to get to 300 and elusive super bowl be something that drives him to come back in 2018 ? Don’t tell me players don’t dream about the HOF, especially when they played in the HOF game and saw Warner get elected.

Does he need to come back and win to get in or is he a guy that just has good stats and not worthy ?

Tough choices ahead.

27. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

Schlereth on 98.7 podcast has surgical, somewhat sanguine analysis of London game. Even sobered the sloppy hosts, giddy over Cards’ sinking ship. Has interesting insights on OL and CP successor; notable take on Cam Newton to boot. He’s the BA of analysts.

28. By JTDG on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

Cactus Jeff,

Good questions.
    But I think the Patriots would take Pat P over any stable. Why do I know this? Because they paid a bunch of money to Gilmore (13.5 a year) instead of a stable of guys.

I also know they would take AJ Green over a stable because look what they did when they had Moss.

I think the most interesting one is the David Johnson. Johnson is a stud but Teams (see ravens last night) are showing there are good RBs buried on depth charts and drafting one is pretty easy (Fournette, Hunt, Cook, Mixon, McCaffery)

Let me give you one back.
    Pat P is unique. I think a tougher question would be, would you have traded Pat P to the Titans for the 5th and 17th picks and drafted CBs Marshon Lattimore and Tra’davious White.

Now, you get two of the best CBs in the draft for simply the best CB in the NFL. Would you take that trade?

29. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

“no risk it, no biscuit” Stanton maybe more of a roll of dice than Gabbert with this OL vs. front 7 Rams, SEA, 9ers… neither a clear way out of this mess

30. By clssylssy on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

WOW…the Dolphins shut out by the Ravens 40-0! I wonder if Dolphin fans are whinning as loudly as the Cardinal fans? Kinda doubt it, Yep, we may be down but there are other teams around the leaague with worse records and worse losses!

31. By JTDG on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

clssy,

I am not one who is yelling for Gabbert, but to me, those who are, make sense to me.

I was not a fan of Gabbert coming out of the draft (go back to 2012 archives )

But I do think he flashed a bit in preseason. That makes one wonder, if he has anything.

With Stanton, there are no unknowns. He is wildly inaccurate, but does make a really good throw now and again. Stanton is a FA at the end of the year and signing him to be the starter in 2018 is just plain silly.

I think fans always like what is behind door #2 if what is in their hand is something they don’t want. Even if door #2 turns out worse.

32. By JTDG on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

clssy,

The Dolphins;

Do you know they have the 3rd most wins in the NFL since week 6 of 2016 ?

I think there is a lot to be happy about. Their problem stems from their starting QB being knocked out for the year and then Cutler being knocked out. It is like 2014 for them and now they have Lindley. (OK , Matt Moore is better than Lindley, but not that much better)

Even with rotating QBs, they are still 4-3. I think Dolphin fans are just trying to hold on till Cutler is back, but know they won’t be at full strength till next year.

If only that was the issue of the cards. Think of 2014, when the cards were winning, Palmer went down, then you thought, maybe we can still win with Stanton, and then he went down. Now we were just hanging on with Lindley and talking about what could have been.

33. By Cardinalchris on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

clssy, Dolphins

After losing by 40, Dolphins point differential -60
    Cardinals point differential -72, which is also worse than winless San Fran and Cleveland.

We stink. We have lots of company at the bottom of the barrel, but we definately have top 5 draft potential.

I guess BA is playing Stanton because he is 1)honoring his word and/or 2)doesn’t want to give up on the season yet. At some point, would like to see if Gabbert has anything. I like Stanton, but as a backup – don’t see us suddenly winning games.

34. By Kevin S Mesa on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

One would think Stanton is at least as good as Beathard.

Whether the rest of our team can be as good as the Niners, we’ll see — we escaped by the skin of our teeth at home.

If I were the Cardinals, I would blitz the bejeezus out of Beathard, force quick throws, and hope that the coverages can hold up. You know PP will be fine — but the rest of the D, not so much. Still, nothing can be worse than rushing only 4, rarely getting to the QB, and then watching as the QB either waits for the inevitable gap in our soft-as-Charmin zone (which our secondary doesn’t even seem to understand how to play), or, if we don’t go zone, just picks on our d-backs not named Peterson.

My favorite play in recent Cardinals history remains the play against the Eagles in October 2014. No, not the 75-yard pass to John Brown with less than 2 minutes to go, although that was cool. It was the final play of the game — the Eagles had driven down to our 16 yard line with only 16 seconds to go, and had just run two pass plays that were unsuccessful. So it was one second left, one last play, and they had to complete a pass in the end zone. Foles goes back and we rush 7 guys, leaving only 4 to cover all the Philly receivers running toward the end zone. Foles is back-pedalling the entire time and finally lofts the ball up from around the 30. Jordan Matthews catches it, but we push him out of bounds — no TD. Cards win.

I want Beathard throwing on his heels.

35. By erik on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

My desire to see Gabbert play does not mean I think he is a great player. He would still be on the Jags if he was. My reasoning is this, Gabbert has maybe a 1% chance to prove he could be the QB of this team next year. Stanton has a 0% chance. That tiny 1% will keep me somewhat hopeful and engaged in these games.

I have no issues watching a bad team play as long as there is the slightest bit of hope in younger players (I watch all the Suns game, for crying out loud!).

Unfortunately, because of drafting, this team, to me, has 3 very promising young players. Humphries, David Johnson, and Markus Golden. Two of those guys are injured. I am not calling the likes of Chad Williams, Reddick, or Baker busts, but they have not really provided anything that has me excited, either.

I just want some sort of hope, regardless of win totals! Is that too much to ask?

36. By Scott H on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

No, Palmer is not a Hall of Famer. He is a good, solid QB. I don’t think he was any more than that. He has no post-season success to speak of, didn’t even get a playoff win until the 2015 season.

And that remains his ONLY playoff win.

That is not a Hall of Famer.

Heck, if Kurt Warner had to wait a year to get in…..I don’t think Palmer’s making it.

37. By Coach K on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

erik

Understand that Gabbert never really had a chance to develop in Jacksonville under constant coaching turnover.

From what I can see with the eyeball test, he has the while package and just needs to be in one system with one OC long enough to master his craft.

The tools are there. He just needs to sharpen then under one system.

I believe Gabbert will surprise everyone if given the opportunity to finally thrive under one coach and one system. After all, BA has coached Big Ben, Manning, and Luck and I would say they turned out good results.

So give Gabbert the same system and coach and watch what happens. I think
    everyone is going to be surprised how good this guy really can be.

38. By clssylssy on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

JTDG:
    i agree, I think when things get ugly people give up and want to see what’s behind
    door #2. Also, the Dolphins definitely have more of a winning legacythan the Cards (who doesn’t) so easier to ride the wave when things get stormy, I;ve never been a Phins fan and DID NOT know they had all those wins!
    I was listening to Kurt Warner the other day talk about how it drives him crazy when people spit out statistics when trying to discuss football but are unable to pass the eyeball test, i.e., they can’t look at a game and see what’s going on that is good or bad. I have to agree with him. Point differential? Who cares about the point differential; a win is a win whether it’s one point or whatever, Sure it’s kinda cool to be able to shut down your opponent by a major score like a forty burger but at some point it then kinda turns into an ugly win. Nonetheless, I’m a Ravens fan so I’m still pretty impressed with the way their defense won that game!
    Kevin..
    You have a most amazing memory for Cardinal game details that is impressive! I watch a lot of football but to remember a certain play, in a certain game, way back when…props!
    I guess, my point is, I’m not really ready to give up yet so, from the glimpse I saw of #2, I can wait a little longer. #2 has good mobility but, as I recal, also has accuracy issues too.

39. By georgiebird on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

I know that life isn’t fair BUT:
    To even think of Carson Palmer getting into the HOF when the great Roy Green can’t even get a sniff. The thought of that happening can cause me to break out in a cold sweat.

40. By Scott H on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

Steve W

RE: Hard luck the last few seasons

Um….no, I have disagree. I don’t think this decline has had anything to do with luck. It has been the culmination of poor personnel moves both with players and coaches. For me, it’s that simple. I’m not letting anyone off the hook with the hard luck excuse.

People need to be held accountable. I have yet to see it. And THAT seems to be becoming a bigger problem as we go.

41. By Cardinalchris on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

The Cardinals stink. Eyeballs and point differential say the same thing. Not sure what games you are watching if you can’t see how bad things are.

42. By CARDS62 on Oct 27, 2017 | Reply

Unless the Cardinals can stay in the playoff hunt.

Playoffs Playoffs who’s talking playoffs I just hope they can win another game. I can not believe all of you let that one pass for so long, ha ha ha ha

JTDG Palmer is a borderline HOF. It will take him numerous years, but he is a good guy who will eventually get his jacket and place of honor. Do we really want Carson back next year at xx million dollars? I know he is making over 20 million this year so he has to be very expensive next year.

Palmer was door # 1 and he is now out. Stanton is door # 2 and we all know what he is so we just need to keep the door closed. Gabbert is door # 3 and he is the only one with any hope of potential so lets take him for a spin as this season is over so the spin cost us nothing. I am not upset over Stanton starting and I wish him well, but little Drew will probably play poorly and lose his job or with our line little Drew will be injured so either way we will all get our wish and watch Gabbert play this year. Just a matter of time. No matter how well Gabbert plays we have to draft a QB early next year. We have to get a star QB that will not cost us that much so we can build up the rest of our team.

43. By Steve C on Oct 28, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert should be the guy. Not Stanton. We’re gonna lose every game with Drew at the helm, maybe beat Niners again. Garopolo from the Pats sounds pretty interesting. He played well with the Pats as backup to Brady. No riskit, no biscuit, or whatever Arians says. he isnt following is own advice going with Stanton.

44. By georgiebird on Oct 28, 2017 | Reply

@Steve C-
    the object is to lose the remaining games.

45. By clssylssy on Oct 29, 2017 | Reply

Rick…
    I would agree w you if our defense still had a pulse or if Keon would make an effort by Tuesday to bring in a few defensive impact players.
    We are at the halfway mark of our season & it’s painfully obvious that Keim’s Draft picks aren’t filling the holes left by Calais, Tony & Swearinger.
    Most of the teams left on our schedule have killer defenses that will make ours look even worse than it is & also have legit DCs.

46. By Steve C on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

The Cardinals are done. Actually they were done after losing DJ, and the play of the OL anyway. Stanton is mystifying to me. Gabbert has talent and is a better QB than Drew will ever be. I dont care if he dont know the system. He started for the Niners an entire season and can pick it up. Palmer played his last game. DJ wont be back and if he does come back it wont matter. Pessimistic…yes. I dont want to be, but its not gonna be pretty the rest of the way.

2. Oct 27, 2017: Cardinals Blogs | Yeah, Larry Fitzgerald is not going to be traded