Keim: “Active” in trade talks, IR updates

Posted by Darren Urban on October 31, 2017 – 8:15 am

The trade deadline is only a few hours away in the NFL. Cardinals GM Steve Keim said the team has been “active” in trade talks, but noted there are multiple moving parts for a trade to come to fruition, which is a willing partner, compensation and then how the contract situation of the player(s) involved impact the deal.

“There have to be so many things that have to make sense,” Keim said during his appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7. “We’ll continue to work the phones.”

Keim did say he thinks the key injuries around the league have increased the action around the trade deadline, which is shaping up to be one of the most active in recent memory.

— Since it was Keim’s first interview since the London trip, he said there wouldn’t be one thing he’d want the Cardinals do do differently other than play better in the game. The logistics and trip itself went well. “I was hesitant with the thought of playing overseas, but what an experience it was,” Keim said. “The one thing that opened up my eyes, and I had no clue, was the international excitement that the fans had.”

— Obviously there were not as many good things to say about the game itself. Keim lamented the inability to run the football, which was a death sentence against such a good Rams defensive line in terms of being able to pass protect. Defensively, Keim said the Cardinals didn’t play with energy and didn’t tackle well.

“The way we played in Europe was flat out unacceptable,” he added.

— Injury updates: Keim said running back David Johnson (wrist) was doing well but the rehab is time-consuming. “We will continue to monitor that to see if he can come back this season,” Keim said.

As for Carson Palmer, Keim said there were a lot of “moving parts” for his potential return as well. He also acknowledged Palmer’s return will be influenced at least some on how the Cards are playing.

(Just judging by Keim’s tone, there was less optimism for returns of those star players than I had figured previously.)

— Keim noted the 49ers have a lot of cap room, which helps them make a trade for QB Jimmy Garoppolo despite a “small sample size.” Keim also said that in a perfect world, he would prefer to draft and develop a quarterback rather than trade for someone like Jimmy G.

“Because you can grow with them,” Keim said. “It not only helps you as a team, from a salary cap structure you can pay minimal money and build a team around him.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

73 Responses to “Keim: “Active” in trade talks, IR updates”

1. By Coach K on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

I no longer trust Keim in any trade deal.

He has left too many impact defensive players leave and that has
    reduced our defense to one of the worst in the league.

The real problem is a stubborn BA and his inability to look down the
    road with vision. The Gabbert issue is a good example.

It will be a miracle if we get to 9 wins with BA running the show. I will
    see next game if we have a balanced offense, or if BA goes back into
    panic mode and starts throwing 80% of the time, and refuses to defer
    the opening kickoff to give us a better chance to get a stop and start with decent field position.

I doubt anything will change because of his very hard head.

2. By clssylssy on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

The problem with drafting & developing is first you have to be able to recognize talent & then you have to have the right people who are capable of developing players, two things we’ve not been very successful at.

3. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Will Carson be back or will he retire? Will Larry be back or will he retire? Will Arians be back or will he retire? All those uncertainties about the what the future holds surely are playing some kind of role in how the team if playing this season, IMO. It has to be a distraction and perhaps a detriment to guys buying into what the coaches are selling (which isn’t working) knowing the possibility that everything will be change next year. We definitely need to get younger in 2018.

4. By JTDG on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

“The way we played in Europe was flat out unacceptable,” he added.

I have never heard this being said about a team more than in the last year and a half. This statement (again) is troubling.

Why are you flat again? Why is the team going out there and not giving their best?

Last year it was blamed on leadership and guys like Campbell, Jefferson and Swearinger were allowed to walk and they are all 3 leaders on their respective teams.

What is going on behind the scenes? Guys playing flat is just another way to say, guys aren’t giving a 100%. If I had guys not giving 100%, I would bench them.

This is so strange. Playing flat?? Again and again !!

5. By Scott H on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

OK, so Steve Keim is vowing a certain level of activity leading up to the trade deadline….

Yeah, we’ve heard that before, haven’t we? Something about vowing to be aggressive during free agency?

Please.

And as much as I give credit for the AP trade, the AP trade was basically a necessity borne out of the loss of DJ and a total and complete lack of ability to run the ball that followed. OK. But what about a trade that is NOT necessarily borne out of sheer necessity? Like the trade the Seahawks made right before the season for Sheldon Richardson. The Seahawks were already a team loaded with guys that can get to the QB, yet they went out and got another one.

Mr Keim, are you listening? THAT is aggressive. OK? Not waiting for the need for a trade to be forced on you….making a trade just to get better because you want to be better…..making a position of strength ever stronger…..THAT is aggressive.

I’m not sure what Keim’s definition of “active” is but I guess we’ll find out if it’s worth a damn. We already know that his definition of “aggressive” doesn’t seem to match any reasonable definition of that term that I am familiar with.

6. By JTDG on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

As for trades;

It’s not as complicated as he says.

Veldheer should be on the block. The Eagles need him.

His salary is 6.5 million and prorated, it would be 3.25 million. The eagles have 7.2 million in cap room.

It would free up 2,000,000 in cap space for cards.

The eagles would part with LB Mychal Kendricks.

Kendricks would cost the cards 2.4 million after prorated. It would cost the eagles approx 1 million in cap space to trade him.

So, at the end;

Cards get Kendricks and it cost 400,000 this year and 6 million next year. While clearing 10 million in cap space from Veldheer, netting 4 million in cap space and filling a LB spot.

The eagles get Veldheer at 4,25 million of capspace and release him next year when Jason Peters comes back and end up saving 7.6 million in cap space next year.

The cards now have the ability to move Buccannon, who is on the books for 8 million next year. He might be a nice trade to the Chiefs.
    The Chiefs lost Eric Berry for the year. They have a Safety playing a lot of $LB. It would be a nice fit for Bucannon.
    Bucannon would only cost the chiefs 735,000 this year. The cards could get a late round draft pick.

This frees up 8 more million for cards in 2018 while having Kendricks and Reddick as our ILBs next year.

The cards fill a hole for when Dansby is gone, and free up 12 million in cap space.

7. By shaun1111 on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

2018—We need draft QB, OL, CB, LB
    Let old tired veterans go, this is now a young mans game..
    Faster and more stamina..
    We also need more incentives in contracts to win and new coaching, We need better play calling on offense and not get torched on pass defense..
    I wish we could win a Super Bowl here..
    Either way I love you all.
    Go Cards!;)

8. By JTDG on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Another trade I would make;

The Patriots just lost another wideout. I think they would be thrilled with the thought of landing Jaron Brown. A big, fast target outside for Brady.
    I would also throw in Justin Bethel to help with what they are giving up.

The cards land CB Malcolm Butler.

Money;

Butler would cost the cards 1.955 million this year.
    He would save the Patriots that same amount.

Jaron Brown and Justin Bethel would save the cards around 1.4 million
    and Cost the Patriots that same 1.4 million.

So the deal could be made costing the cards 500K in cap and give the cards a CB2 finally.

The Pats have Hogan, Edelman and Amedola all injured. They could use the receiver and have another CB.

9. By DZ on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Has anyone seen Michael Bidwell lately. Smart man.. step back and let the arrows fall where they may. He can’t be happy with these pathetic showings from top to bottom and all the support he has given to build a winner.
    Gonna be an interesting off season. If it even gets to that.
    Loyalty only goes so far. When you have just a few pulling on the rope, it’s easy to see who must go.

10. By Marlin on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

We should sign Jaron Brown to an extension…. now!

11. By davemaham on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Then draft one, if that’s what he’d “rather” do!!! Doesn’t he realize that’s how he got this job in the first place. The epic failure of the previous GM, scouts and coaches to obtain/develop a QB? You’d think he would continually address that monkey, have been severely unimpressed with Keim in this regard.

12. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Keim’s comments on the Doug and Wolf show seems to me like he’s setting Arians up to be forced out at the end of the season for allowing his players to play “flat out unacceptably”.

13. By Scott H on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Hey, does Adrian Peterson have any trade value right now??

Just sayin….

The rest of this season will be a complete waste of time if they’re not going to take a look at Gabbert. They HAVE to know that….don’t they?? I HAVE to believe that they are saying that Stanton will be the starter for the rest of the year out of some respect for Stanton ( who has been nothing but a good soldier all the way ) and for this process of not by-passing the number 2 guy for the number 3 guy, and whatever the hell that means. But I HAVE to believe this is all being done with the intent that Gabbert will start the last 6 games or so. Because if it isn’t…..than this FO is even more lost than any of us may have thought.

I swear, I hate to say it but I WILL say it – I am hoping for a loss to the 49ers this Sunday. Because a win gets us to 4-4 and it will only create the illusion that the Cardinals are somehow in the running in the NFC. And we are all seeing that they are definitely NOT. So, maybe a loss ( which I really do think is likely, anyway ) will help clarify where we really are and will get us a step closer to moving on from this “window” that no longer exists.

The Seahawks, Eagles, Rams, Saints, Cowboys…..they are all legit playoff teams right now, real contenders in the NFC. The Cardinals have no place in that discussion. Period. We’ve already been PASTED by two of those teams. We are nowhere near on that level. So let’s stop kidding ourselves. Let’s be real and look forward to making it better for tomorrow.

At this point, I’d have more respect for the organization if I thought they were willing to see it that way, too. .

14. By Daniel Thompson on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

This will be Arians last year even tho he semi-retired after the 2015 season. His system isn’t even his system without the right players…..one trick pony. U could turn his play sheet upside down and he wouldn’t even notice it.

15. By Daniel Thompson on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

John Brown……..yawn……Jaron Brown….average……….Fitz should be traded to a better team…….JJ Nelson……average, maybe slightly more.

16. By J, PHX on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Kap is still without a job and all these no name no playoff experience no Superbowl appearance quarterbacks are getting opportunities left and right….it’s just not intelligent to have a dual threat of his caliber not even competing for a chance to play….not even a chance!!!!!!! Not practice sqaud,not back up,not nothing….do these teams really wanna win? If so how bad!

17. By J, PHX on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

We will not win another game even if Palmer come back I’m very disappointed in the organization… lousy drafting ….Blain gabbert who! Lol. Your kidding right?

18. By Larso on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

If bucannon plays like 2015, i hope he stays a cardinal forever

19. By Darren Urban on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

All —

RE: Comments

Time for a friendly reminder that if you swear in a comment (and I see it, will be honest, some slip through on accident) I’m just deleting it.

20. By D on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

One thing is certain, since that NFC Championship game a few years ago, Keim and BA have driven this team into the ground, giving its fan base little hope. AZ now is the oldest roster in the NFL, which equates to more injuries.
    A few years of bad drafts along with some bad free agent signings has led to the NFC West passing by AZ. BA has shown why he was fired in Pittsburgh and Keim appears to either fallen for the BS or is not wanting to face reality that this roster doesn’t have much talent on it. As these losses will pile up, how long before M. Bidwill says enough is enough.

21. By erik on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

RE: Bucannon

I see his name popping up in trade scenarios. I have to agree with some of the commenters, I just don’t see a stud linebacker worth 8 million dollars when I watch him play. I do like him, but the reality is he does not get sacks, he hardly forces fumbles and he just got his 2nd career interception in 4 years! What I am getting at is, he does not really cause any turnovers. He is a tackle machine, no doubt, but a lot of players can tackle. Without looking it up, I’m pretty sure Minter had over a100 tackles with us one year, so I don’t put much stock into that.

22. By CARDS62 on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

I very much like Keim thinking on drafting a QB so now we just need to do it with our first round pick or second round at the latest, but I hope we go first round.

49ers are taking a shot with Jimmy G, but I think it is a smart move on their part as they should know if he is the answer by end of this season which is already over for them. If the answer they can trade back in the first round and recoup their lost pick and if not draft a QB in round 1 and bring him along slowly next year and use Jimmy G or another veteran as a buffer. (Remember the Bears paid a lot of money to Glennon but then drafted QB early in first round so 49ers can to)

Now Robert Half stated “There is something that is much more scarce, something rarer than ability. It is the ability to recognize ability.
    I do agree with this quote and my thinking is we do not have anyone in our organization who does this well especially for the QB position so I pray Michael Bidwill will bring in either a new GM or a special assistant to help us have a great draft. Say what you will about Denny Green, but I will crown the man for getting us one great draft.

DZ I have been calling on Michael Bidwill to save our season or at least try, but I just think he is too close to Steve K. and Bruce A. and will not do anything until after the season is over. Maybe let coach retire and not lose face, and I do not know if he will move on Keim or just blame this season all on coaching. I am okay if he keeps Keim as long as he brings in a draft consultant and free agents.

Go Cards beat those 49ers for the home fans!

23. By JTDG on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Nothing. Absolutely Nothing.

Could it be that no one wanted our players?

24. By jeffcardinalfan on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

sk the spinmaster..he would rather draft and develop a qb? really?if i had been a reporter at this press conference i woulda fell in the floor laughing…other than logan thomas has another qb even been picked? to paraphrase iverson”develop? develop? develop? develop?” or to quote herm “you play to win the game!” not ba and his staff. its time to get someone from patriots, steelers or packers front office to be our new gm but the big thing is to get a coach who will use the talent on the field in a way that sets the players up for success rather than ba’s method which is do it his way or else-which would be fine if he could motivate the players-see lombardi or parcells.

25. By aschatte on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Keim active in Trade deadline!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA! I laughed so much, i needed that Darren!

@JTDG – Expecting Keim to make any trades is wholeheartedly foolish. Players go bust, feels like this organization has gone bust! On the other hand cant wait for Calais Campbell to be in town and sacking Stanton and co. Worth every penny to watch Campbell spit on Cards faces!

26. By georgiebird on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Playing “flat” means- “we’re not as good as the other team”

27. By georgiebird on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Whether the Cards stay pat or make trades- the Cards are going nowhere this year. Name all the young talented players on this team right now. There aren’t any or very few if one wants to be kind. Bad personnel moves are a big part of the problem.

28. By Mark on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Saying that we were active in trade talks but not making a trade is a joke.That’s like saying I “almost” stood up to that guy who stole my lunch. Unfortunately this organization is in the worst position right now. They are the oldest team in the league and are just mediocre enough not to get a top five pick in next years draft. The cards should certainly suck for whatever Quarterback looks good in next years draft. I think everyone on this blog can agree Mr Keim has done a poor job drafting players and obtaining talent over the past several years. Shoot even David Johnson was kinda a fluke because they really wanted another bust Ameer Abdullah. I hope Mr Bidwill makes changes so us fans have something to look forward to next year. So when a team gets blown out and embarrassed by a division rival it has to be one of three possibilities. Poor coaching, lack of talent or both. I think it is both, which means both Keim and Arians are responsible.

29. By Scott H on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

I’m seeing these headlines and by-lines elsewhere on the site –

Cardinals Avoid Trade Deadline Frenzy

GM Stands Pat While Other NFC West Teams Make Moves

And…..this is GOOD NEWS????

Yeah, good thing we stayed out of it. Good thing we kept all these pieces that are working so well this season. Good thing we kept this O-line intact, huh?

And to think, I’ve been criticizing the GM recently…..good lord, what was I thinking???

The re-building that is necessary and inevitable – whether this GM wants to admit or not – received not one ounce of help today.

Folks, we may be in trouble. And I don’t just mean on Sunday.

30. By Scott H on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Am seeing elsewhere that DJ is not likely to return this year. First, that kinda seemed inevitable from the beginning. But second, WHY should he?? This season is a lost cause. Why was going to come back for….what, two meaningless games?

Is anyone taking this as an admission from the team that they probably know this, too?

31. By Scott H on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Gotta say, I really am pleased and even proud to hear so many fans reacting with the outrage that is totally justified right now. Ya know what? Keep it up, folks. This front office needs to hear how we feel. THEY work for US.

32. By Scott H on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Well, I’m glad Mr Keim had such an “active” day on the phones. How nice. My question is, how would we have even known?

33. By Eric G on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Yup, no trades. Keim has given up on the Cardinals too. Great job there Keim, which I think stands for Keeps Eyeing Incompetent Moves. Way to improve the offensive line. Way to improve our CB2 position. Thanks, no really, thanks. Hopefully this helps seal the deal on your firing when the team goes 4-12.

34. By clssylssy on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Recap:
    David Johnson not likely to play this season…
    Carson Palmer recovery now 8-10 weeks, unlikely to play thcdxis season…
    Cardinals Avoid Trade Deadline Frenzy by doing nothing…WOW, That’s a REAL SHOCKER!!
    week 9 Power Rankings- Arizona Cardinals #28
    “This isn’t a playoff team. There are too many holes on the roster, and the Cardinals play undisciplined football” (Chris Simms)
    LOL, Wow, that’s a real revelation…and we are only at week 9? Good work Steve Keim, thanks for all your effort.

35. By Samora 3 on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

All I SAY IS Go CARDS!!! NO FLY. ZONE!!!! D UP……

36. By davemaham on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

This roster does have talent. And Keim can draft well. But their draft rankings need a bit more influence based on current need, and not “highest rated” player. And stop with these old fart free agents. We already have enough perennial old farts.

As for Arians, I’m not really sure. I think he needs to let Goody call games. He can game plan all week long with Goody. But let him call the games. BA can’t seem to handle both duties.

And I think all of the coaches can use some opponent scouting refreshers. It feels like we’re the only team in the NFL that doesn’t know how to expose an opponents weakness’.

And why is Drew Stanton starting? He’s a perennial back up. And the numbers show that he’s not a good one. Not even a descent one. The wins he has as starter are most likely attributed to stellar defense. Let’s see what Gabbert has. The season is over. Is he sticking around or not? Let’s find out!

37. By jlucaz on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Hate to say it but I’ve seen this act before and his name was Rod Graves. I used to call him sleepy because he never did anything when action was called for. And it resulted in same thing losing uninspired play on the field and fan anger. This is just a replay of last year, same bs from coach about great practices and team is ready but when they tee it up it’s another flop.

38. By ChrisG on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

As if things couldn’t get worse, how ironic is it that the trade deadline landed on Mr. Keim’s day off. When things go bad they really go bad. If only he took Wednesdays off instead of Tuesdays, we would be sitting pretty right now.

39. By ChrisG on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

I went out trick or treating with my kids tonight and, like the last few years, I dressed up as BA. This time all I got was rocks.

40. By 11zfan on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

I was at the rally in London as well as the game. I was one of the many fans who traveled to see their favorite team shine in London. To say the team failed to show up is an understatement. What an embarrassment. I’m ready to replace ALL coaches. The players are demoralized, the fans are demoralized. What’s left for this season? My favorite is always “Keim Time” and Keim avoiding all questions like what’s the point of his appearance anyway?

41. By Coach K on Oct 31, 2017 | Reply

Bottom line guys, after this year we need a major youth movement like the Rams had the last three years to rebuild their team.

I understand some of Keim’s thinking on getting a few older guys to plug holes. The problem is, he let too many impact leaders leave. The loss of Campbell was a fatal flaw. Swearinger caused fear in receivers crossing the middle of the field. Jefferson was a tackling machine.

Let’s see how far these old guys can take us this year and hope for a miracle. Next year, it’s time to clean house and go young.

42. By Jon on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

I love that headline “Cards Avoid Trade Deadline Frenzy”

Wow, good thing “avoided” that “frenzy”. Because man, if there’s one thing I look to avoid its frenzies.

That headline has gotta be right up there as one of the lamest apologies ever.

43. By playedthegame32 on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

The reality is, like many have said, KEIM HAS DRAFTED HORRIBLY! and misses badly in the first round. Your first rounders, in many respects, are your easiest picks. They should be your most impactful players. BA in some respects, has made chicken salad out of chicken S–t. For Example, Buchanan was horrible in space at safety (he was horrible in space in college, but they didn’t seem to watch tape). But he’s really physical and a great tackler. So BA moves him to LB, gets him closer to the line of scrimmage. He can’t cover anyone and he’s so physical that his 210 lb body can’t hold up in the box…so he will always be injured.

Which one of your First Round Picks is playing like a First Round pick in the position you drafted him to play?? Not a single one!

Nkemdiche can’t get on the field!

How does a former Lineman (Keim) who is supposed to be a top evaluator….FAIL at evaluating linemen?? The OL has sucked every year since you’ve been in Az. You drafted DJ humphries FIRST and he didn’t play a single snap was a rookie. Wasted Pick. He’s playing now, but has graded out very low! You drafted Jonathon Cooper with the 7th overall pick, when starting Guards can be found in the 4th-5th round. He was cut shortly there after and even cut by the CLEVELAND BROWNS. BUST. You didn’t really want David Johnson, but he HAS developed into an asset. Tyron Mathieu is a great football player. But he’s too small to play safety and too slow to play corner. Now you’re stuck with a bad contract and have hoped to draft his replacement in Budda Baker.You drafted a corner out of Texas A and M in the 2nd round …HE CANT PLAY DEAD!!! You haven’t found another corner, a future QB or quality interior players!

The most telling statistic of all is this. Since you’ve become GM, only 2 of your draft picks have been on the all rookie team. The GMs with a worse percentage are all out of the league. You should be next

44. By Marlin on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

There are, at least, a handful of terrific looking young qb’s that we could have acquired via draft or free agency or trade the past few years. I love Carson. But we may have missed the boat more times than warranted. Hopefully there’s a plan. BA and Carson and Larry are all fantastic and we appreciate them. But there are many signs that the “last roundup” has begun. We need a fresh, young head coach, a fresh young qb, and the start of a new era.

45. By Eric G on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

@davemaham???

“And Keim can draft well.” Are you a Seahawks, Niners or Rams fan? No self-respecting Cardinals fan would ever make that claim. Keim is atrocious. The only “great” pick he’s made was David Johnson, even then that was pure luck as we saw from the All or Nothing documentary since he wanted a completely different back. Keim doesn’t have an eye for talent and is somehow blind to glaring holes in the roster, such as offensive line and CB2. And yes, I’ll bring this up again, he drafted Boehm when we could have had Dak Prescott. Thanks Keim.

46. By MissouriCardsFan on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

Hi Darren. Thanks for keeping us Cardinals fans informed – especially us a little ways away from the desert. I know the Cards have been hit with some key injuries this season, but they also have the oldest roster in the league. Do you think the age thing is a big factor in their play and record this season or do you see it as not much of a factor, or is it somewhere in between? Thanks.

47. By Darren Urban on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

Missouri —

RE: Age

In terms of their actual play this season, no, I do not think age is a factor.

48. By JTDG on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

playedthegame32;

Preach on. I have been saying the same things for years. Your Bucannon comments I echoed in 2014 before and after the draft. Absolutely right on.

You are 100% correct.

Jon,

Great comment about the headline. “Avoid” . Really ? Like trade frenzy was the plague and the cards avoided it.

Scott H,

Yes, it is good to see others take up what we have been saying all along.

49. By Corgon on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

Now that was a really nice active trading time. Relax Steve now you have few calm months ahead of you, when you don’t have to speak about any trades.

50. By Jacob Hewitt on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

Told ya Cardinals should have gotten Watson anyone remember when I said the cardinals should draft watson just Incase palmer goes out like get some injured and look at what watson is doing with the Texans . Welp all we can do is wish for the best for the cardinals. Let’s somehow hope they can do something. Also Darren? What happend to that good QB jake Coker that playing with bama for a few years and won a national title

51. By jeffcardinalfan on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

funny how people sing praises for sk/ba when cards win and bash them when they lose-just human nature. cards were lucky when carson and dj fell in their lap and unlucky with robert n and injuries…i was happy that cards got carson as he was much better than stanton but i did express concern at that time that carson didnt have the it factor that brady and rodgers have. still cards could win if they protected carson well..amid all the talk before season began i stated that if carson wasnt protected nothing else mattered.and as said before the #1 weakness on cards is OVEREVALUATING players on the roster. #2 is not acting when a critical need shows up. for a decade we needed a left tackle…for years now cards have needed a #2 CORNER AND OL UPGRADE.

CLEARLY, BA HAS LOST THE LOCKER ROOM but there is still talent on the roster and the players are simply not DOING THEIR JOBS!! defense could be top 5 d if they had an interior dt like calais and a #2 corner and the talented guys played up to their level of exspection. on offense its worse-whether its gonna be gabbert or another veteran or a rookie qb finding carsons replacement is the priority-we dont know-carson may play next year-i hope he retiresUNLESS ol is addressed in fa with QUALITY LINEMAN-NEED 2. NEXT THE WR QUESTION-OF COURSE EVERYONE WANTS LARRY BACK but its time to cut bait with nelson and john brown…give golden a shot at becoming a edelman clone…actually wrs seem to be swapped around quite a bit-every offseason there are quality wrs available. next, gresham has got to go-little production and tons of penalties. i think its fair to give niklas one more year if he can stay healthy. if ap could be happy with not being the bellcow how much fun would 2 back sets with dj and ap be?

52. By lacardinalsfan on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

In order to get a young QB that you can grow a team around you have to DRAFT the QB. Instead we have seen Wentz, Carr, Watson, Prescott and others slip through our fingers for D Buck, Nkemd, and Reddick. Sure maybe fine players, but not trans formative like an elite young QB.

Just mind boggling that we haven’t drafted a young QB??? What happened to mr I like to draft a QB every year? Guess that was as true as We will be Aggressive in FA.

53. By Scott H on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

lacards fan –

I’ll admit, I was one of the people saying, during the last two off-seasons, that since we were still riding with Palmer and that window remained open, let’s not draft the QB yet, we’re trying to win now, so let’s draft for other positions and worry about our QB-of-the-future later.

And, well…..I guess you know why no one has hired me to be an NFL F/O executive.

I feel like I see the folly of that thinking now. But then again, if we’d won a SB last year or this, going that way would have turned out to be the best decision making in this team’s history.

But it didn’t go that way. It has gone WAAAAAAAY in the other direction and now, with no QB of the present OR the future, it just feels like we are nowhere.

This past Sunday was SOOOOO depressing, I swear. I went from watching Carson Wentz in the early game to watching Dak Prescott AND Russel Wilson AND Kizer in the late games. All dynamic young QB’s who are giving their fans hope in the present AND for the future. I can only imagine how great a feeling that must be.

BUT never mind what MY thinking has been the last couple of seasons. That hardly matters. What does matter is the utter lack of success this team had had in getting it right with QB’s in the draft since…..well, are we going all the way back to Jake Plummer in 1997 here? It kinda feels like we need to. Because you can’t name anybody SINCE that time. Can you???

OMG, that is SOOOOOOOO bad. And during the past decade, it seems like this organization hasn’t even been trying to find the right QB in the draft. They lucked into almost shocking the world with Kurt Warner and they tried to replicate that lightning in a bottle approach with Palmer.

So, it makes ya wonder where it goes from here.

54. By dkerry5242 on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

Cards need to make sure they pick a potential Franchise QB in next years draft no matter what they have to do, even move up if necessary to get one. They need a QB with the heart and passion to be the Leader. (1)Mason Rudolph would be a no brainer, strong arm and the ability to throw on the run and also scramble. (2)Baker Mayfield is also a can’t miss prospect with the same upside as Rudolph. Sam Darnold will be another Matt Lineart, IMO.

55. By Scott H on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

The end point to the previous post was something along the lines of this – this organization NEEDS to get out of the box they have been in for the last decade or so. And oddly enough, that past decade or so might just be the most successful decade or so this organization has ever seen. Hey, it was great at times. Know what else it was? A mirage. Because we had situations where we had good teams with solid cores in place and we were able to simply add veteran QB’s who could potentially put it over the top. Came REAL close with Warner…..not as close with Palmer. BUT…..

We do NOT have a core here that just needs another veteran QB to play well enough that it makes us a contender again. We’re not even close. You can’t add Alex Smith to this roster – as it appears to be shaping up for 2018 – and hey, we’re right back in it. Forget it.

We much more closely resemble a team that needs to be stripped down and re-built. The right way. And what that makes me realize is that we have a GM that has no track record of success doing that.

And while I can get to a place where I can embrace re-building and feel the excitement of the prospect of a young team coming together and emerging into a contender……I can’t get past the “yeah, but” that comes with the doubt that we have a GM who understand how to do this.

And the last couple of drafts have definitely NOT helped.

56. By Larso on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

Lets see how the season unfolds, we are what we are right now. I try to stay positiv and root for the guys. People do better if you believe in them. The perfomence in London was sad and losing Palmer is a big hit, but we cant see whats going on behind the scenes or control these things.

I really like the Team and believe they can bounce back, find ID, get the fun back.
    Stanton or Gabbert, i dont Care as long as they are showing good Ball

-Bucannon i think its unfair how people see him and imho he was good in coverage last year but lost a step against the run. 2015 he was amazing and i think he can get back to that.

57. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

Yes, I have come around to the notion that our drafts are just not that good. Our first and second round picks for Keim’s whole regime have either been whiffs, or just “solid” players — no stars (maybe Markus Golden is a near-star?)

Keim had a nice 3-year run in the 3rd round with Mathieu, John Brown and David Johnson… but the first two have had injury issues (or do we call Brown’s sickle-cell issue something other than “injury”?) and now DJ is also injured. And Brandon Williams looks like a whiff, with the jury still being out on Chad Williams but he doesn’t look like anything special.

And then where are the late round surprises? 2013… Okafor, Watford, S. Taylor, Swope, Ellington, Jefferson (D.C., not Tony) … 2014 L. Thomas, Ed Stinson, Walt Powell. 2015 Gunter, Riddick, JJ Nelson, M. Christian. 2016 Boehm, M. Chistian, Toner, Miller. Are there ANY impact players in that list? Ellington sort-of was, in his limited role, but when he was featured more, he was not productive. Who else on that list has made a significant impact — meaning, not just that he was a body who played, but he was above-average or better?

58. By JTDG on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

Kevin S Mesa

Amen. Brother

59. By NYCardinals212 on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

(looks around the comment section, throws feet up on the empty chair)

Well, I guess that leaves just a little more legroom for me.

(slips another beer in the Cardinals cozy)

60. By GARY HICKERSON on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

ALL i hear in this comment section is a bunch cry babies who didnt get their way in their latest fantasy football draft!.!oh no SK didnt make a trade,oh no BA has lost the locker room, oh no MB doesnt want to win!who do you think SK was going to trade for without selling any future hope to get younger and better after tradeing their future draft picks away.,THE CARDINALS didnt draft a QB this past year or the previous year because the CARDINALS were to high up on the draft board to get anyone worthwhile and as far as trades go do you not remember the KEVIN KOLB trade!! how did that work out? trade for a o-line ?well that would take an entire off season at least to learn the plays,.not enough time to make any diffrence this year!! THIS IS FOOTBALL FOLKS and people get hurt ! also a trade involves the other team wanting to trade a player in the first place and to talk a team into trading away a valuable player would cost to much..SORRY FOR THE HARSH REALITY CHECK FOLKS but thats the way it is and im tired of all the negativity. THESE players are not giving up!!it is their job they are pros and they work for employers( owners and us fans) if they are viewed to not be putting 110% into their job then they will soon be out of a job!!..GO CARDINALS !!

61. By Gsbe on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Really fantasy football that’s you’re story come on man

62. By Halagator on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

For all you QB draft experts out there…

I always chuckle when I read some of the regulars who post in here talking about how we need to draft a QB for the future and how easy it is to do so…but really when you look through the years of the NFL draft its not so easy to predict and draft a great QB for the future. There are more busts than booms on the list.

Out of approx. 277 QBs drafted since 1994 I would say maybe 50 of those QBs drafted are either great, good or decent. That’s only an 18% success rate when drafting a QB. The other thing to note it seems drafting a QB in the 5th round has not really panned out for any team.

How have the Cards fared in the draft process since 1994..
    As you all know we drafted Jake Plummer in 1997 and he holds a special place in Cardinal history for a magical playoff win vs the Cowboys in 1998.

After Plummer went to the Broncos we drafted Josh MCown in 2002 only to be replaced by Kurt Warner (Which we all agree as a no brainer)…now in examining McCown he has been around the league for 14 years and started some games. I think he is a reliable back up or a bridge QB for a young team.

In 2006 we drafted Matt Leinart, a stud Heisman winning QB from USC. He of course was regulated to the bench by the Hall of Famer Warner (another no brainer decision). People may argue we should have taken Vince Young or Jay Cutler that year but in my opinion the 2006 QB draft class was more failure than successful. So I don’t think it would have mattered which QB we took. Neither of these 3 was better than Warner.

Post Warner we drafted some terrible QBs I’m not going to get into the whole Ryan Lindley to John Skelton saga as I don’t want to rile everyone up on the blog.

So what’s the analysis? I leave that for the rest of you to debate…

My take:

We did well with Plummer (6 years of starting),
    McCown was a good draft pick when you look at the overall picture (14 years in the league)
    Leinart might not have been a bad pick had he not been injured and been up against a future Hall of famer on the roster.

To be honest we have been blessed with having Warner and Palmer coming to the Cardinals and providing the franchise with a winning record and positive attitude around the organization. I think the current brass has done a good job in acquiring talent. Its not an easy job running a pro football team. Lots of moving parts. All of us arm chair QB’s or Madden GM’s really have no idea.

Let’s appreciate the complexity of the whole picture and get back to cheering for the team we all supposedly love.

Also for all of you who keep saying you are going to give up your season tickets because of this season…I’ll gladly take them off your hands if you have some good seats!

Go Cards…Let’s stay in the hunt with a win this weekend over SF!!!

63. By Scott H on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Halagator –

Well, isn’t that the point? That, yes, it IS hard to draft the right QB, a bona fide QB of the future? We all know that.

But…..when you look at the dismal track record the Cardinals have had with finding that guy. you have to conclude that that they have made it look harder than most.

Yes, some degree of luck is a part of that process. But the Cardinals can’t even get lucky!

So, there is hard…..and then there is how hard the Cardinals make it look.

At some point, even the blind squirrel has to find the nut….doesn’t he????? But for the last 20 years, we haven’t even had the skill OR the luck of a blind squirrel.

That’s pretty bleak.

64. By JTDG on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Halagator

What are you rambling about ?

First, did you do stats on the other positions and see how many stick and what %? Without that, how do you evaluate 18% as being good or bad? Second, how many of those QBs were late round QBs? I would think the % goes down. Right. The same as other positions?

Truth – If you look at picking a QB in the top 10 the last 10 years Excluding 2017), 11 of 14 are still playing since 2007 with 10 QBs starting.

Crap shoot? Looks like to me, you just need to trade up and pick in the top 10.

But all this winning and positive talk stuff with the cards you are saying;

You are talking about the same organization that has the longest streak of any sport not winning a championship, right?

This team since moving to the valley has 6 winning seasons in 29 seasons. SIX.

Yeah, the fans should just sit back and let Keim do his thing. What do we know? Your right, he is amazing at the draft and It’s impossible to pick a franchise QB.

Heck, I could throw darts at a board and do better.

As for Tickets, they are up for sale on NFL Ticket Exchange. Go buy them. Couldn’t sell Tampa or SF. Sold Seattle, but the rest are there. My tickets are 50 yard line behind opposing teams bench, 5 rows up.

65. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Halagator —

It’s not just QB. It’s every position. You have guys like Michael Floyd that you spend a first-round pick on who never really live up to it, and you have guys like Antonio Brown selected in the 6th round who are among the best in the biz.

Going the established commodity route with Warner and later Palmer benefited us (although Warner wasn’t initially even brought here to be the starter), but it hurts from a salary cap perspective. When Seattle drafted Wilson and was able to get four years out of him for almost no money, that’s when they went to the Super Bowl twice, because they had all that money to spend on other areas. Now, they are paying him the big bucks, and their O-line is a shambles and their D, while good, is not off-the-charts.

And now you have teams like Dallas and Philly and the Rams in the same position — they’ve still got two more years after this year for Goff, Wentz and Prescott to be on their rookie contracts. Plenty of money to invest in other areas. That’s where we need to be, or we’re going to be looking up in the NFC standings for a while.

66. By Gsbe on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

I agree but soon or later they need to take that chance and draft a QB. And that’s one thing their terrify of doing that why we don’t know

67. By CARDS62 on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

KEVIN S MESA

You touched on the key, Since they changed the draft money you can spend little on rookie QB for up to 5 years if draft early enough as teams have a 5th year option, If you get this right you have plenty of money for other positions which will give you an advantage over teams with veteran QBs.

We were very fortunate with Warner and Palmer, but now its time to get a young mobile QB and build around him, but we have to get someone in the building who can spot talent and then hire some coaches who can grow that talent.

68. By Halagator on Nov 3, 2017 | Reply

JTDG, Kevin & Scott –

The bottom line is everyone talks about getting that QB of the future through the draft and to be honest it is a crap shoot. Look at some of the QB’s that have been successful over the years. Not all of them were picked in the first round. Sometimes it benefits to take that veteran QB who has worn out his welcome with another franchise. I was pointing out that our track record wasn’t as bleak as we all think. We are not like the Browns thank goodness.

Draft picks like Wilson for Seattle were luck or divine intervention maybe. They signed Matt Flynn to be the starter and Wilson outplayed him and the rest is history there.

But I do agree hitting a home run with a rookie QB is huge from a salary cap perspective. Not every team is like the Patriots who manage to keep their star QB and the rest of the team in tact without having to “rebuild”.

With Draft picks like Floyd, he was a star and was good but obviously personal issues caused his demise. How does a team account for that? Your guess is as good as mine. Do the background checks etc..but that is not always a given.

Guys like Antonio Brown picked in the 6th round becoming superstars…rarely happens. No way the Steelers drafted him thinking this guy is going to be a top 5 WR in the league. If they thought that so would have the rest of the league and he would have been drafted in the first round.

And yes I’m well aware of the losing seasons and record for the Cardinals. I was just becoming a NFL fan (As I watched mainly CFL up in Canada here) when the St Louis Cardinals moved to the desert. My Grandmother sent some Cards T-shirts and my love/frustration affair began with the team. So yes 30 seasons of watching and I’m proud that the culture has changed in AZ. Where I live here in Canada I never saw anyone with Cards gear except me, now I see tons.

So yes winning helps…I don’t disagree. Do I get frustrated watching? Yes but that sports. I think what we all want is consistency with the teams we cheer for. And I think the Cards have done a much better job of that over the last 10 years.

I appreciate the insightful observations, rumors and draft analysis from everyone but its the countless comments of negativity and constant bashing of the management or the flip flopping on the team that gets old in these posts/blogs.

Maybe its time for some of the bloggers to switch to a different sport…I hear hockey is a good one to watch. 🙂

69. By JTDG on Nov 3, 2017 | Reply

Halligator,

But that is a false narrative. In the last 10 years, 10 of the 14 top 10 QB picks are starting for their team. That is a 71% success rate.

You have three issues when drafting a QB.

1. Your team isn’t very good. The worst team picks first most of the time. Take David Carr. Talented guy, but had one of the worst lines in NFL history. He took a beating, began throwing off back foot, rushed throws, and never panned out.

2. The system doesn’t fit him. Brett Favre was drafted the top of round 2 by the falcons. He was buried on depth chart for Jerry Glanville. He didn’t fit into that system. The Packers traded for him and the rest is history. Had he stayed on the falcons, who knows.

Another example is Matt Leinart. He actually had a pretty decent rookie year under Denny Green. (and if you remember, Warner struggled) Warner played 10 games in 2005 and had 11 TDs and 9 ints. He struggled in 2006 starting only 5 games with a 6 TDs and 5 ints record. Then, Whiz came in and had a system that favored Warner and no so much Leinart. The rest is history.

3. Teams pick the arm and talent instead of the player.
    The problem happens when guys are pushed up because they have “arm talent” while ignoring other clear issues. Jamarcus Russell in no way should have been a first rounder when you hear about his work ethic and his test scores. But the raiders saw him throw the ball on his knees 70 yards.

Johnny Manzel was a Fran Tarkington type QB, who was small and played basically sandlot ball. He didn’t study, liked to party, and didn’t work hard. Why are you drafting him? Because someone overlooks his bad behavior and thinks they can fix him.

If you have the right system for the QB drafted, you have an oline and weapons around him (see Goff improvement), and you scout him well and don’t overlook obvious issues, you will hit much more often than not.

As for Russell Wilson, divine intervention? Wilson had a 72% completion percentage and 33 TDs to 4 ints. in college with Wisconsin. He was well known to be the leader of the team and had lots of intangibles. Mike Mayock thought he was a first rounder. If not for his height, he would have been a top 10 guy. The only issue Wilson had was being 5’11”. That is why he slipped to the 3rd round. Not many small QBs have proven to make it, so there was a risk. The seahawks signed Flynn well before the draft. Maybe they thought Wilson would go much earlier and didn’t think they could land him?

Two things happened to Dak Prescott that dropped him in the draft. First, he got sarrested two days after his pro day for a DUI. Second, he was sacked often and took a beating his senior year because his line was terrible. Because of this, he was dumping the ball off early and being jumpy in the pocket There was obviously a huge risk attached to him. Not because of his talent, but because of perceived issues. If you looked deeper, you would have seen he was a scholar athlete, who stood tall in the pocket and threw accurate. If that DUI didn’t happen, he might have been a 2nd rounder.

I’m just not buying the ‘crap shoot’ when it comes to QBs.

As for going to other sports, my daughter is dating a guy who is looking to play pro hockey, so I am watching more and more of it. But answer me this, why is it so bad to question the front office and coaches of this team. It is obvious they are making mistakes.

70. By Halagator on Nov 3, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

I think you and I would have some great football discussions over some beverages if we sat down in person.

I’m not saying that you can’t find a good QB in the draft, its been proven in NFL history that its a difficult position to draft and gauge how good that prospect will be in the long run.

I agree with you that drafting a player for your system is the way to go vs drafting the best player on the board at the time. I’ve always been a believer if you do your homework on the player they should pay off.

Is there a bit of luck or divine intervention in a draft…I don’t know…How do Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady not get drafted 1st overall? Its a great question. We can put all the statistics and percentages we want behind it but in reality somebody passed on taking them first.

So if Russell Wilson’s height was the reason not to go higher in the draft considering what he did at Wisconsin…well that just seems silly doesn’t it. I bet the Redskins, Dolphins, Browns and Broncos all wish they had selected him at this point right now.

As far questioning the teams moves and motives, I get it, but a lot of people on this blog make it seem like they have done nothing right over the past 10 years and I completely disagree with that. Have they made mistakes yes. But changing coaches and management all the time doesn’t help either. The team should be able to sustain and win games every year if all goes well.

And this year…I don’t think we could have predicted that David Johnson would go down for the year or have half our starting O-line get hurt. Its tough for any team to recover from that. This year might have been just fine if injuries didn’t decimate us. At the end of the day if the Cards go 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 considering we lost some key players in FA and our starting RB and QB go down with injuries I would say that the season was not a complete failure.

Anyway…thanks for the Friday banter. Always nice to mix it up a bit. Hopefully our Redbirds can get us to .500 on Sunday.

2. Oct 31, 2017: David Johnson Doubtful to Play Again in '17 with Wrist Injury, Says Bruce Arians - MySport101
  3. Nov 1, 2017: TUESDAY HEADLINES – WEEK 9 | Fantasy First