Not playing, Palmer another coach for Cards

Posted by Darren Urban on November 1, 2017 – 2:45 pm

Whether or not Carson Palmer plays again this season may be hazy, it won’t stop him from being a factor in the quarterback room. Following surgery to repair his broken left arm, Palmer has remaining in meeting rooms and goes out to observe practice and help the best he can. Wednesday, Bruce Arians said Palmer was wishing he could practice instead of sitting on the sideline.

Still, Palmer wants to remain as mentally engaged as he can. He and Drew Stanton are close, so it makes sense that Palmer try and guide him through the process of starting. Arians also said Blaine Gabbert is also benefiting from extra practice reps as well.

Palmer is the only quarterback the Cardinals have that is under contract for 2018, although it’s possible Palmer considers retirement as well. Even if he doesn’t play again this season, he can make an impact.

“He was talking to the guys,” Arians said. “It’s like having another coach.”

Tags: , , ,

23 Responses to “Not playing, Palmer another coach for Cards”

1. By joe holst on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

if he stays next year I hope he restructures along with ipatiu and veldeheer/

2. By Dr. G. on Nov 1, 2017 | Reply

Well, what else do we expect the players to say except…””we want to win?”” I would like to hear some dumb alternate statement…not.

As for DJohnson, I think he is serious about wanting to join the troops..he is a natural leader in waiting, though he does it by example, not his pie hole as some cannot resist.

And, hey Drew, no one else knows how to figure a QB rating either…don’t feel badly. Just go out and beat the 9ers since BA hands you the baton. If you think you’re a starter, go out and prove it…good luck.

Continuing the harrang…Keim refuses to mention that Gabbert might be the guy if he would just GIVE HIM A TRY with some decent coaching up. We may not have to worry about drafting a QB to throw him in the flames. You need 2, we say 2 QBs next year…a starter & a back up. I don’t see Palmer//Stanton returning.

Darren..thx for all the updates..

3. By Scott H on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Damn….he looks like he’s trying to not be recognized.

C’mon, Carson, it’s not that bad, is it??

4. By Scott H on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

joe hoist –

I gotta tell ya, I don’t think either Iupati or Veldheer are here next year. I’m actually kinda hoping neither one is. Heck, they may as well not be here THIS year for all the good it’s doing us. We rode those trains too long.

5. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

I get the feeling the Cards will win enough games to screw themselves out of a good QB draft pick….

I just can’t understand the Cards mgmt unwillingness to give Gabbert a shot at starting a couple of games??? If he fails put Stanton back in.

6. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Need replacements before you cut OL.

Btw, CP only QB under K for 2018, sobering fact.

BA risking his AZ future with Stanton. If we end up with losing record, expect BA, Stanton, maybe many more not to here. If 9-7, reload with same crew is good bet. Not betting on BA return, but praying he is right…inexplicable he won’t roll dice with Gabbert…

PS: Captain Obvious: Athletic QBs compensate for lousy OLs (SEA QB eg). BA/Keim failure, insufficient attention to OL with old, immobile QBs. Yep, signed, drafted, but compare to depth , how they loaded up DAL…

Keim in love with “see how he can rotate hips, get to second level” meanwhile our OL gets bull rushed, simply pushed aside by stronger, quicker DL DTs

7. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Well, if nothing else, you gotta hand it to the schedule makers… we get a bye week and then a winless team for Stanton’s first start. As bad as we’ve been, we’re actually favored on the road against the Niners.

And then 4 of the next 5 at home. Is it conceivable that the D could show up against Seattle like they did in last year’s 6-6 game, and keep us in the game enough that (even with Stanton), we have a shot? I can’t see us beating Houston on the road, but maybe we have a shot against the Jags back at home — they are pretty inconsistent, so perhaps we get them on a bad day?

I would not be surprised if we lost to SF this week, and then dropped the next 5 or so as well. Nor would I be surprised if we beat SF this week, and then managed to win a couple of the home games after that. This team could be 3-10 or 6-7 after 13 games. Is there any scenario where people can see them being any better than that?

8. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Adam (fka DTL) —

When you say BA is “risking his future” with Stanton, do you mean to suggest the team would fire him if we end up (as is likely) with a poor record with Stanton at the helm?

I would not be surprised at all if BA retires after this year, given the holes we’re going to have to fill on an aging team; not sure he wants his legacy to be trying to rebuild the team. But there is, in my mind, zero chance of him getting fired if he in fact wants to stay. Even if we end up, say, 5-11 this year, that would put his career record in AZ at 46-33-1 (winning % of .581). No Cardinal head coach since Coryell has been above .500 and of the nine coaches to coach at least a full season since Coryell, six finished below .400. There is no way Bidwill and Keim fire the team’s most successful coach by far in 40 years, not when he has the built-in excuse of losing his best player (David Johnson) for pretty much the whole season and his QB for more than half of it.

9. By Timothy Huber on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Give Gabbert playing time if staton sucks, which might happen

10. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Kevin: First of all, i know nothing. That said:

Yes. Not advocating, but predicting BA gets axe by Young Bidwill if goes second consecutive season w/o shot at playoffs. He’s shown willingness to be proactive. Most NFL coaches wear out welcome 5-6 years is my impression. Michael might get aggressive and retool, fresh start. Wondering if Keim at risk as well? Dunno, but Michael does not suffer failure well, an admirable trait…..

11. By clssylssy on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

SOBERING FACT:
    This team wouldn’t recognize good QB talent if it came gift wrapped and was dropped in their lap. We have had opportunities to draft QBs and have not except for Logan Thomas and traded for Barkley then Gabbard, none of which we have been able to develop into good fits with this system. Therein lies the problem; having somebody in the wings, no matter how he was ranked, means little if there is nobody to groom him into an NFL product. Perhaps “the QB whisperer” has lost his voice or the league has changed and our methods haven’t kept pace. Nonetheless, we do not currently have the staff capable of developing talent which is why we are in the state we’re in.
    A good backup QB is gold. Having someone who knows the system, has practiced with the first team and had the experience of leading and winning games is worth much more than a flash in the pan.
    While it’s always tempting to throw caution to the wind and try somethting totally different, we must recognize that the rest of the offense deserves the best shot of succeeding which may be the old reliable guy whose been in this situation before.
    As somebody else pointed out, Keim is a newer version of Rod Graves, same song, different day.
    At least Whiz got us to the Superbowl and then won a Division Championship after that, so, as good as BA started out, he’s still not been able to bring home the prize and his roster builder has been Steve Keim.
    Keim’s talk is cheap when he’s demonstrated he can’t draft or bring in the staff to develop players. Tick, tock, tick, tock….

12. By Darren Urban on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: “wouldn’t recognize good QB talent”

So what’s Palmer?

13. By Scott H on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Well, I’d like to take a ( brief ) break from my ranting to say congrats to Bidwill Sr for his induction into the Ariz Sports Hall Of Fame. Good for him.

I’m not quite sure what that actually says about the sports scene in Arizona, but….I’m sure it is an honor, nonetheless.

14. By Scott H on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Man, even baseball is a source of depression for Cardinals fans lately. Last year, the Cubs finally won a World Series and in the process, they put the Arizona Cardinals first in line as the pro sports team to have gone the longest without winning a championship. Thanks for that.

And last night, the Astros won the first series in their history. Also a long and painful journey for that franchise.

It seems like dreams CAN come true – everywhere but here.

15. By Scott H on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Kevin –

Yeah, I hear ya. The schedule sets it all up wrong for anyone hoping to see Gabbert any time soon ( as most of us seem to ). You would think the Cards SHOULD beat the 49ers….although I’m already on record as saying I think the 49ers get their first win on Sunday.

But if the Cards do win, I think it just somehow gives the illusion that maybe this team is still alive in the NFC and that perception will support Stanton continuing on as the starter.

And that will be the worst thing that can happen, IMHO.

Keeping Gabbert seemed like a good idea. Why not? As John Belushi said in Animal House, don’t cost nothing. And the injury to Palmer makes keeping him look even smarter. But now they are going to screw this up by playing out a season of meaningless games by starting Stanton.

And then, come the 2018 draft, how badly are we going to wish we had found out more about Gabbert when we had the golden opportunity to do so????

Feels like 2010 all over again, when we foolishly and stubbornly stuck with Derek Anderson during a season that was down the toilet instead of taking a look at John Skelton.

But, hey, 2010 seems like where we’re headed, anyway, so….whatever.

16. By clssylssy on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Darren….
    My bad, but I thought we were talking about drafting/developing QBs and in that regard we’ve not only failed to recognize talent but we’ve not succeeded in developing anyone. We have done well with more mature guys who’ve benefited from being around the league and gained good experience elsewhere, guys like Warner and Palmer who were ready to plug & play.
    Keon makes it sound like ALL our problems will be solved when we draft our franchise QB & can develop him custom made. I find that laughable on several levels as we’ve already witnessed.
    As for Palmer, I think he’s one of the most underrated QBs in the league, tough as well as a good guy and leader, who would have HOF numbers if playing on a team that knew how to put an O-line together.

17. By clssylssy on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Kevin (and others)…
    Why all the hate toward Stanton when he’s won games for us and has the trust & confidence of the players. The comparison to Derek Anderson isn’t even close & Derek Anderson has won games for the Panthers, so maybe it’s something to do with us and not them…just say’n.
    The backup’s job is to know the system & be able to go in and fill in for the starting QB. What’s Gabbart ever done that was so impressive that would make him a better choice than someone who knows the offense and has been taking reps w the 1’s?

18. By Scott H on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

Understand, I have NO hate for Stanton. None. I’ve been one of his biggest supporters the last couple of years when it seemed like he was getting no respect or regard for being a winning QB for this team.

It has nothing to do with hate toward Stanton.

It has to do with our future.

Do you think Stanton is our QB of the future? Or even here at all beyond this season?

Well, if the answer is no, then why roll with him now?

Do you think Stanton is going to turn THIS team around and win games? If yes, OK. If no, then why roll with him now?

Do you think Gabbert has anything to offer for 2018? If no, OK. If yes, then why roll with Stanton now?

Do you think it would be wise for this team to know more about Gabbert BEFORE we go into next year’s draft?

If yes, then why roll with Stanton now?

This has nothing to do with hating on anyone. I’m being nothing but practical. At this point, I think we are better served by taking a look at Gabbert. It’s nothing more than that.

19. By clssylssy on Nov 2, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    That’s fair. By definition Stanton is the backup QB and as such it is his job to be able to come in and take over when the starter goes down. This may sound like it’s no big deal but actually it is a very big deal and important to the success of the team. It requires a thorough knowledge of the offense and a chemistry with the players such that they have confidence in the ability to lead. This isn’t Pop Warner where just anyone can step in and it’s pretty much a thankless task. The backup gets no glory but lots of grief. But, a good backup is gold for a team to continue in the race.
    Stanton has been in the league 10 years now and I don’t think he has any illusion of being the franchise QB, or probably even having a future with the Cards once a new Coach/GM comes in and brings theiri own guys, like Arians did. With the numerous injuries around the league, he could still have more years in the league as a quality backup,for which therer is always going to be a market. He abd Gabbert both might have good job security as backups, which means you are valuable insuruance rather than being “the future” responsible for turning anything around.
    I have no real problem with Gabbert except that he hasn’t really done anything in his years in the league to make me think he’s some sort of hidden jewel. He hasn’t been with the team really long enough to have a thorough knowledge of our offense, more importantly, he couldn’t have the chemistry with BA and the team to be able to make a smooth transition into a position as starter, to lead this team.
    Perhaps with more reps with the #1’s he could develop but I don’t see him being around long enough to be “THE GUY” especially given Keim’s remarks about taking a QB in the draft and developing him (magical thinking). I see Gabbard kinda like Matt Barkley who showed some promise in preseason but never really worked out either and was traded. When you are the #3 guy, you really don’t get that much to turn you into a #1 or even a quality #2 in one season.
    I think the coaches probably know what they have in Gabbert as they see him practice all the time and also can observe his chemistry with the team and what kind of football IQ he has. This isn’t a popularity contest, and I can see why they would want to proceed a little conservatively, going with what they know rather than taking a flyer b/c the fans want to see what he has.
    Our players are professional athletes and do a job, often times getting cast in a role that is not glamorous but nonetheless important. While many fans have given up and don’t feel it matters who plays what anymore, I still can’t stomach quitting and feel that there are guys on our team who want to win and deserve the best opportunity to be able to go out knowing it was the best effort.
    I have a feeling that Gabbert will have opportunities before the season ends but right now it is just important to get a win and some confidence back.

20. By clssylssy on Nov 3, 2017 | Reply

Addendum to Scott…
    The real issue is not so much who is behind center, as many teams have demonstrated with backup QBs, but the fact that the Cards have virtually no defense that can play four quarter and carry their load. If we had even last year’s defense, I would feel we still had a pretty good shot. The fact that this team is so undiscipline and gets so many penalties for stupid mistakes w/o a defense makes us look worse than we really are.

21. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 3, 2017 | Reply

Clssylssy —

First of all, it was Scott (not me) saying we needed to see Gabbert. I did, previously, express disappointment when BA basically came out and said we’d be seeing Stanton for the rest of the year — as if, how he actually performed on the field didn’t matter — but I was not someone calling for the immediate insertion of Gabbert into the lineup. I think that as long as you are within a couple games of the playoff teams, even if it’s not terribly realistic to expect to go to the playoffs, you have to go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win now. If it were me, I’d turn to Gabbert at the point if (for example) we can’t even beat the winless 49ers. If we do beat them and get to 4-4, then I think Stanton should play at least two more games and then we see where we’re at then.

As far as the offense vs. defense goes, I’d say they’re both about equally culpable… our offense is scoring at a rate that’s 27th in the league, and our defense is giving up points at a rate that’s 30th in the league. Both have been bad. Interestingly, both are better in YARDS per game than in POINTS per game — the offense is all the way up at 16th in the league in YPG, so by that measure, it’s a top-half (barely) offense. Problem is, too many extended drives that end with no points — missed FG’s, turnovers, whatever. And on the defensive side, we’re 24th in YPG, which is not good, but not as bad as we are in points per game. So we have the same problem on both sides of the ball — on offense, we don’t score enough for the yards we gain, and on defense, we allow too many points for the yards we allow.

As Georgiebird has pointed out, though, while both the O and the D have been bad, the O has better excuses (as far as injuries); the D is missing only one key player.

22. By clssylssy on Nov 3, 2017 | Reply

Kevin…
    I apologize for the mix up. I guess I can understand your reaction to some degree but I stopped taking seriously a long time ago, statements that made no good sense especially definitive far reaching predictions. I guess I just take BA with a grain of salt as he seems to bluster quite a bit , getting a kick out of getting a reaction. I assume he’ll go with whoever does the best job but is starting off with somebody the guys are comfortable with.
    I admire your attention to the numbers. There was a time when I poured over the stats, comparing & over analyzing everything but then found it was taking the enjoyment out of the game b/c I only was in a position to be frustrated. Different strokes etc.
    I am a lover of defenses though & remember fondly how much fun this team was when Coach Bowles had that ball hawking “no fly zone”…seems a different life and a different team altogether!

23. By Dr. G. on Nov 4, 2017 | Reply

Hey Cards Fans… I do not have an issue with Stanton…loved the side line dance…a real team player, but if we are realistic, you do know that Gabbert has more NFL experience than Stanton, right? Both are “”beefy.””

If the play book is simplified, Gabbert will do fine with decent O-Line work. Plus, he is a superior, more mobile athlete who can save more broken plays. When you see him start throwing, 🏈✔ you will be a very pleased. And, if AD can have a good 100 yd. effort, that eases the pressure. “”OPTIMISTISM””

I do not see a step up or down to see him behind center…the proof is needed.

Also……losing to the 9ers will tell a huge story. Defeating them proves nothing but improve to 500. I think Gabbert would love to beat his previous team in their house. Stanton can prove nothing in this game. He is gone next year anyway…a reasonable guess for the $$ he gets for a backup…be well