Keim: Kicking problems “cannot happen again”

Posted by Darren Urban on November 6, 2017 – 8:19 am

It turned out not to matter, but it could have, so after Phil Dawson’s missed field goal Sunday — his sixth in eight games — General Manager Steve Keim said the issues with the whole unit have to be fixed. Quickly.

“The hard part is, the preseason and everything we saw out of Phil moving forward, felt like he was going to be a huge addition to this team and bring consistency to that spot,” Keim said Monday on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7. “For whatever reason, things aren’t clicking right now. We just have to go back to the basics and really dig in and see what’s going wrong and make sure we fix it, because it cannot happen again.”

Coach Bruce Arians blamed a bad snap from long snapper Justin Drescher, and Keim acknowledged the snap was low. Keim also said holder Andy Lee did manage to salvage it. Keim also said he was disappointed in the field-goal unit not only from the kicking standpoint but also in the blocking and the technical aspects.

“(Phil) has got to be held accountable,” Keim said. “In my opinion, when you’re getting paid, you’ve got to make those kicks. I don’t think that’s any secret.”

It does not sound like the Cardinals would consider looking at any kickers at least this week. A short week and a game Thursday plays into that, Keim said.

— There was praise for quarterback Drew Stanton in the win, but Keim also underscored the reality that the Cardinals benefit from the run game — in this case, Adrian Peterson’s career-high/franchise-record 37 carries for 159 yards.

“There’s no doubt we knew we had to run the ball effectively and I don’t think that’s a secret going forward the rest of the season,” Keim said.

— The offensive line did pretty well, particularly left guard Alex Boone and left tackle D.J. Humphries, Keim said. That’s what happens when the team stays committed to the run and balanced offensively. “Give those guys a chance,” Keim said, before acknowledging that it’ll be a tougher task Thursday against the Seahawks.

— Peterson had a second great game in three appearances for the Cardinals “The guy continues to impress me at his age,” Keim said. “Thirty-seven carries is unheard of. As (offensive coordinator) Harold Goodwin said, the more you feed him, the better he gets.”

— Keim did want to see better consistency from the defense, and is still concerned about the red-zone offense and converting touchdowns.

— Keim agreed with the idea Humphries is developing into a potential cornerstone left tackle, reiterating again that Humphries has matured a lot to match mentally his excellent physical talent. “He’s ultra-competitive and he likes to play the game,” Keim said.

— The short week is hard, but there is excitement over playing at home on national TV, he said, and the Cardinals will benefit from the mini-bye after the game.

— There was congratulations for veteran linebacker Karlos Dansby in joining the exclusive 40-sack/20-interception club. But Keim, who has know Dansby his whole career and has a great relationship with him, couldn’t let the moment pass. Keim noted Dansby was given a chance to make a speech post-game in the locker room. “He may be one of the worst speech-givers I’ve ever heard,” Keim deadpanned.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

34 Responses to “Keim: Kicking problems “cannot happen again””

1. By Dr. G. on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

AD had a fantastic day, but beware…he is like a kid during Halloween who cannot have enough sugar, the more you give him the rock, the more he likes it.

And then you realize he is not super human though some may think such. He has a winner’s workman-like mentality, but he really is human.

Especially on a short week, let the trainers and doctors have some input to help him pace himself realistically. BA should not be the sole decision maker here.

Love the guy!! ((The bidding may be on for 2018!)) He and DJ could be an unstoppable duo.

2. By Darren Urban on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Bidding

No bidding needed if the Cardinals don’t want it. Peterson is under contract, relatively cheaply, for 2018.

3. By JTDG on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

The cards are now 4-4.

The 4 wins have come against the 0-9 Niners (Twice), the 2-6 Bucs and the 3-6 Colts. The combined record of the teams they beat is 5-21.’

The cards 4 losses have come against the 8-1 Eagles, the 6-2 Rams, The 5-3 Cowboys and the 3-4 Lions. The combined record of those who beat the cards is 22-10.

This Thursday, the cards play the 5-3 Seahawks. This is the most significant game of the year. Regardless of what I think or anyone else thinks, this game determines whether they can beat a team not picking in the top 5.

4. By Tanner on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

“Keim also said he was disappointed in the field-goal unit not only from the kicking standpoint but also in the blocking and the technical aspects.”

Finally!

For the past two seasons there have been two reliable aspects of our special teams: poor play and amos jones. Arians repeatedly excuses jones’ performance by pushing responsibility onto the players, “they don’t snap, hold and kick. Players do those jobs.” But it seems a coach should put players in the best possible position to succeed, and that does not appear to be happening. Look no further than our current kicking situation. Catanzaro is bouncing back with the Jets while Dawson is, for the first time since his rookie season in 1999, below 70% in field goal attempts. The missed field goals are in their heads and you almost get the impression that jones’ solution is yelling “don’t miss” at the snap.

5. By Eric G on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

Well, the Cards got their 4th win. I had predicted that they would not win any more than that. I was wrong. After Sunday, I change my prediction… to 5. My prediction was before Deshaun Watson went down. The Cards might be able to beat the Texans now. But, maybe not. Still think they find a way to make the Giants look good at the end of the year.

Until they do something against a good team, my hope doesn’t change. This is just an underperforming team, plain and simple. Ugh. I will still watch every game, just as I have every game since 88. It’s just getting old at this point. I have no hope for a victory Thursday.

6. By Jo Ball on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

The cardinals are doing what cardinals do whenever they’re not a good team. They win enough games to push themselves out of a good draft pick.

7. By JTDG on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

Yes, Adrian Peterson is under contract for 3.5 million in 2018.
    If the cards release him, there is NO dead money.

It is the perfect situation. If you have a plan in 2018, you can bring him back, if your plans don’t include him, you can save 3.5 million.

8. By JTDG on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

BTW, is the DC reading this blog?

As soon as I mention that under Bowles, the ILBs put on a lot of pressure and sacks, Betcher releases the hounds. I mean, blitz after blitz.

Grant it, it was against a rookie QB standing behind a terrible oline, throwing to receivers that can’t catch, so taking chances made sense, but still, he finally sent guys.

Will he do it again Thursday or will he drop into the all-to-common zones and allow Wilson to pick him apart?

9. By Scott H on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

Really? So the latest quotes from the GM are that the kicking problems can’t happen again and that the kicker needs to be held accountable.

OK, if I’m looking at this from an outsider’s point of view, I am laughing out loud at how this organization is being run.

The kicking problems can’t happen again? He says this after the 6th miss in 8 games? And….what prevented this mindset from being realized a month ago?

I guess we had the limit set at SEVEN missed FG’s before we would thinking about addressing the problem. Ah, I get it now. Hey, as long as there’s a plan, ya know?

Translation – GIVE ME A DAMN BREAK.

And as far as people being held accountable…..hey, THERE’S an idea, huh? A over-due, perhaps, but…..

Someone better put Amos on notice that people MAY actually be held accountable going forward.

10. By michael on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

Enough of the draft talk and tanking. If the Cards want a player, they need to trade up and get one. Will have plenty of comp picks to add to the package this year, and it’s not like we hit a home run with every draft pick. Eagles paid a bounty to get Wentz and it worked out. Yes, they gave up their next year’s 1st rounder, but i think most people would go for Wentz if it menat having to pass on drafting Hassan Reddick

Keim just needs to be confident about the Qb they target, then put together a package to land him. Cards will likely pick between 6-10, so such a trade is not out of the question and woudn’t hamper the team for future years… so long as Keim targets the right QB

11. By Steve on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

I love this team but it’s incredibly hard to get excited watching Drew Stanton QB this team moving forward with Palmer out. The Cards are not a playoff team and as JTDG put it, have not beaten a decent team this season. Now if the the Cards go 6-10 all they will have accomplished is yet again missing out on a potential franchise QB, something they have done for years it seems. I know Darren says this team is still in the hunt but lets not kid ourselves, this is not a playoff team this season.

12. By Steve on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

Darren: Teams will never admit to tanking in order to get a shot at a player in the draft but do you suspect that some team or teams do in fact do this from time to time? Coaches and GM’s who say they are not thinking about the draft when their teams are sitting well below .500 during a season with a potential franchise caliber QB in their reach are full of B.S I think.

13. By Scott H on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

And we find ourselves yet again sitting right at .500 with a REAL team looming on the schedule. Well, this feels familiar. What will NOT feel familiar is actually beating the REAL team and getting above .500 – because that is something this team has not done in a long time.

We spent all of 2016 trying to get over that hump but never did.

And we have yet to do it in 2017, so I guess no real progress has been made.

2016 was defined by hovering just below .500 most of the time and getting our wins only against bad teams.

And, again, we have yet to get beyond that point in 2017, so I guess no real progress has been made.

And here we are again, trying to get over the hump.

It’s…..Groundhog Day!

14. By Steve on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

I personally think the Giants are tanking this season with Ben McAdoo talking about benching a bunch of starters, including Manning, “just to see what I have.” They want a shot at Darnold or Rosen, both potential franchise QB’s if they declare.

15. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

Steve —

Of course, you are correct. This is almost certainly not a playoff team.

But if, as many are speculating, it may be Arians’ last year, what do you expect him to do? Play for the future? He’s going to keep grasping at the playoff straws until we’re mathematically eliminated — and that’s going to take a while.

16. By '87 Cards Fan on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

Is there ever a point where Amos Jones will be responsible for the unit he coaches?

I love this team, and I think we’ve got it in us to scrap our way to playoff contention in the NFC but we need better play from our special teams.

When players who have been reliable their entire career come to AZ and lose that reliability – blaming player just doesn’t make sense.

Where is the accountability for the coaching?

17. By JTDG on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

Steve,

My only comeback on the comment about the giants tanking, is this; Why didn’t they trade Manning to say, the Broncos?

They could have got out of 22 million of cap space in 2018 and drafted their QB.

Maybe no one wanted him, but got to think, if I was tanking it, I would have traded a few of the high dollar guys like Manning and DRC.

So, I got to believe the organization is not tanking. Now, are the players playing for McAdoo? That’s a different story.

18. By Joe C. on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

I said from day one that .500 would win the West and we’d have to see what we’ve got. Well .500 might not be enough, Go Rams!, and I don’t think we have enough even if we squeaked in somehow. But I still think the pieces are there to contend for a while. I don’t think there is a game we can’t win so it will be fun just to watch football. Go Cards Thursday night. Cutting Carson would save $14M of cap space next year. Interesting dilemma if they draft a QB it might be worth keeping Carson. Darren,
    while too early to know what Carson wants, do you think the team would like Palmer back?

19. By Eric G on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

@JTDG

Because no one wants Manning and that contract. He is an atrocious QB. He is not remotely good.

20. By JTDG on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

Interesting fact;

Adrian Peterson in 3 games with the cards has 314 yards

All the other backs on the cards, (including DJ in the 1st game) in 5 games combined have 297 yards.

To say AD has given the run game a little lift is an understatement.

21. By Scott H on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

87 Cards Fan

RE – Where is the accountability in the coaching?

Exactly. Same question I started asking over a month ago. And after some of the losses we took and the way played in those games, there sure should have been some.

22. By JTDG on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

Joe C,

Do I think the team would want Palmer back? I would think so. I think this team will bring back Palmer, resign Fitz, keep AP and try to make a run at it, blaming 2017 on injuries.

Do I think they draft a QB? Yes. They better.

Do I agree with bringing everyone back for one more run at it? If I was GM, I think the ship has sailed, the window is closed, the fat lady has sung. I would want to start fresh with a new coach and new QB together.

It would be fun to watch BA and his group make a run at it if Keim actually provided the players needed to make that run.

I think if the brought in a CB2, and slot CB. They have Golden back with Jones, add some dlineman and stop with the zones, this could be a pretty good defense. With some improvement on the oline and receiver, the offense could be high scoring.

Question is, will Keim ever make the moves to get us over the top? I think no. He is too safe imo.

23. By Steve on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

JTDG: I think if the Giants traded Manning at this point, it would be so blatantly obvious that they are packing it in and that could cause an uproar. When you have a team like the G-men who regularly go to the playoffs year after year, than suddenly can’t win a game following another successful 11 win campaign, yeah I get a little suspicious and disgruntled, especially when it just so happens to be a great year for college QB’s in the draft. The Colts for years and years with Peyton Manning were always SB contenders with double digit wins yearly until his last season when they suddenly could not win a game during their famous “Suck for Andrew Luck” season. It’s kind of mind boggling to me that the Cards with a long history of losing and never having won a SB, could be bad for so many years yet never have the opportunity to have the first pick because some storied franchise goes belly up overnight and manages to pick ahead of us…..

24. By Scott H on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

RE: Accountability

To continue on that topic, everyone knows who Tom Coughlin is, yes? I happen to love the guy. I think he was an excellent head coach who got run out of New York for all the wrong reasons. Those seemed to include a mindset that they needed to keep MacAdoo because of his relationship with Eli. But I think others believed that he was too much of an old-school hard ass / disciplinarian who wasn’t going to mix with a young punk like Odell…..who I guess they felt was more important going forward than Coughlin was.

Yeah….and how’s all of this working out for the Giants this year? They are a train wreck. 1-7 on the season. Players out of control. No discipline anywhere. Players being suspended all over the place. That is a situation completely out of control. Funny how it has followed the departure of the guy who enforced control when he was there.

But that is another reason I liked Coughlin so much – because he WAS a disciplinarian and he DID believe in holding people accountable.

And look at how things are turning around in Jacksonville this year. Don’t think that doesn’t have a WHOLE lot to do with Coughlin’s influence. It sure as hell isn’t because of Blake Bortles.

Did people see that their rookie RB Fournette was benched for the game this past Sunday? THAT has Coughlin’s name all over it. And ya know what? I say good for him.

Coughlin wasn’t afraid to send a message that people ARE accountable and WILL be held accountable. And it doesn’t matter what the name on the jersey is or what position he plays or how much money he makes. ACCOUNTABILITY is the priority. As it should be. No one is going to be above it. That is the right message.

The Jaguars still won the game. And ya know what? IF that kid has a brain in his head at all, he’ll take it as a lesson to learn from and he’ll be a better person for it. Someday, he’ll thank Coughlin for that lesson. Again, IF he’s smart enough.

But the point is, THAT is the kind of accountability we are NOT seeing here. And, frankly, it surprises me. Because I would not have expected this under a coach like Bruce Arians. I know BA is big on loyalty and second chances and I don’t see those as faults – until / unless there is no balance to keep things in order.

There have been some points during the past two seasons – especially this one – where guys needed to be held accountable. And they weren’t. And they still haven’t been.

Amos Jones should not be here. Phil Dawson should not be here. I really don’t think Bettcher should still be as a coordinator, either. But their poor performances have been tolerated. What kind of message is that sending????

To get back to Coughlin, I really felt bad for him when he got bounced out of New York. It is well-known since that he didn’t want to leave. He wanted to keep coaching. He was basically offered the chance to resign before he got fired. I am very glad he got the job he got in Jacksonville. Good for him. The NFL needs to keep these old-school hard ass disciplinarians around as long as it can. Because when they are gone…..

25. By jeffcardinalfan on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

im not sure the cards could pic the right qb in draft even if they were picking #1-their track record isnt good

after cards are eliminated from playoffs gabbert has to play-it would be better if cards found out he could play and draft a corner with first pic-then lineman, lineman, lineman

mb is gonna have to tell ba that amos has to go cause ba’s loyalty will not allow him to fire anyone.

still dawson is a vet with history of success-he has got to get his stuff together-imo a new st coach wouldnt help dawson but would on coverage

IF cards play with the same intensity as against 9ers AND have 0 turnovers AND miss no kicks and completely shut down hawks running game and get 2 turnovers and hawks come out overconfident and humphries/boone block very well and ap is not just wore out aftewr his 37 carries going in to a short week and cards hit at least 2 long passes to jb or jj and get pressure up the middle with rucker, gunther and robert n the cards have a chance…in short it will take a perfect game by cards. if hawks get uo early this one could get UGLY.,

26. By Joe Cardea on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

JTDG, I think we agree. If they draft a QB and clear the other QB’s that would enable the Cards to work the rookie in. Palmer looked pretty good so one more year is feasible. That’s a lot of cap space though. He’d have to be the starter. I think they are close enough the a d-lineman, maybe Kimche, and a #2 CB would be all the defense really needs. Like you said a couple 0-lineman and maybe a WR would set them up well. But yu are right about mating a young QB to his own coach.

27. By georgiebird on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

@ Scott H,
    Agree that guys like Coughlin are a dying breed-BUT
    1) Coughlin had mellowed in his last few years
    2) in 12 years with Giants, he won only 3 division titles
    3) Basically a .500 coach with Giants
    4) Two X SBs – one as a w/c and one as a 9-7 division winner
    5) did not make the playoffs his last 4 years w/ Giants
    Coughlin is a decent man and a good football coach. But he rode two magical runs by Eli Manning that will eventually get himself and Eli into the HOF.

28. By DZ on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

I hate to say this but had Carson Palmer been able to play against the 49ers, we would have lost.
    Hear me out. With Palmer in there, AD would not have gotten the touches he did on Sunday. In fact no where near the number. If you recall, AD was not getting much past the line of scrimmage in the first quarter. With CP in there, Arians would have ditched the run game half way through the first quarter.
    And then, we all know what would happen, everyone in the stadium would know what the next play would be, with a courtesy run, you know, here and there to mix it up a little. My grandma could tell you what’s about to happen.

But BA couldn’t do that, he didn’t trust his back up QB to sling it all over the place. SO BA HAD TO ADJUST TO THE SITUATION AT HAND. ( What a concept)
    So now you have to continue to pound the ball and guess what happens. The Offense sustains drives, O Linemen are doing something other than backing up pass blocking all day, AP finally finds his creases and it’s a completely different feel to the game. Our D is getting to the QB later in the game because they are spending less time on the field. The 49er D has to play both pass and run and we get better results.
    On the First TD Stanton threw, that would have been a sack on CP. Now I have always been a CP advocate but our O Line is not built to CP’s style of play. Move things around a little bit and give our OLine a chance for small successes, and you build confidence and momentum. It’s called having your finger on the pulse of your players and you can then play to your strengths while exploiting the 49ers weaknesses.

Before Sunday’s game I was hoping they kept DJ out for the year. No reason to get him beat up on a wasted season. But now I want to see him and AP as a one two punch, pounding defenses left and right, and you know, throw in a pass to Fitz 10 times a game for some additional punishment.
    The Cards did what the were supposed to do, beat a 0-7 Niners team. But it does give me some hope to find litghning in a bottle this Thursday night.

29. By Big Ken on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

It was a solid win. The Seahawks are beatable.

30. By CARDS62 on Nov 6, 2017 | Reply

DZ interesting point you make on Palmer. You are correct we did not run well early and punted often. We will never know, but I think we win this game with Palmer because our oline dominated when we were passing the ball, and the 49ers offense is terrible so our defense keeps their score low which will allow BA not to panic and call more running plays.

31. By Scott H on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

georgiebird –

Wait….you’re trying to minimize TWO SB wins?? I don’t really get that. That is VERY hard to do.

Look, if WE “rode” to two SB wins on magical runs by Warner or Palmer, would we be minimizing the roles of the head coaches that were in place at the time??? Or would be building statues in their honor?

C’mon, man. You can’t negate how important Coughlin was to that team and what they accomplished.

The fact that they did win one of those SB’s as a w/c speaks even more to what a team had to do to win a SB. Because you have more hurtles to overcome, more games to win, and you’re playing more of them on the road.

Um….didn’t the 2008 Cardinals win a SB after being a 9-7 division winner that many people believed ( Cris Collinsworth ) hardly even belonged in the playoffs???

That Cardinals team did the same thing the Giants did the year before – they BECAME the best team in the NFC by hitting their peak during the playoffs. How does the head coach NOT have a lot to do with that??

I just think you’re selling Coughlin way short there. AND my point was actually more about Coughlin as a disciplinarian than as a head coach, so….

32. By Scott H on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

Oh, man, I just realized the HUGE typo in my last post! Obviously, the Cardinals did not WIN a SB in 2008.

Wishful thinking, to be sure.

33. By Halagator on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

Steve –

– Giants can’t trade Manning now as the deadline has passed, and has JTDG said if they really were tanking they would have traded him prior to the deadline, Broncos or Jags would have made perfect sense

– Suck for Luck campaign by the Colts was because Peyton Manning was out for the entire year because of his neck injury – Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter as your starters could not mask the lousy Colts teams that Peyton had be carrying for years. They didn’t have to tank the 2011 season at all.. the team was actually that bad

34. By Lifetime Fan on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

I’m glad that blog post finally got people to jump on the “Amos Jones…WTF” bandwagon, which is the sole topic I have posted about on this blog all season.

First off it is CRAZY that SK, BA or Bidwell (apparently) don’t see the most obvious subpar coaching display that has been right in front of their faces for years now. You can blame players for some things, but when our SCHEME consistently gives up pressure on FGs, consistently gives no space on PR, and consistently gives them space on Punt coverage that necessitates risky 1 on 1 open field tackles…it can’t ALWAYS be the player’s faults.

Remember last year’s tie game agains the Seahawks? So, by their logic it is Kerwynn Williams’ fault that he didn’t block McEvoy well enough that gave up that blocked punt?? Really?!?! The SCHEME put 6’6” 230 lb McEvoy with a running start against a 5’8” 195lbs Williams. Amos set that punt up to get blocked by getting outschemed. I predict it will happen again this Thursday with all the well known excuses following and no Amos firing.

It is really just SAD that BA has thrown away the last years of his Palmer’s and FItz’s carreers just because he can’t bear to fire his buddy. You gotta believe he will regret this decision when he sits down in a couple years and thinks about the runs this team didn’t make.