Monkey of a pick gone, Dansby seeks gold jacket

Posted by Darren Urban on November 7, 2017 – 9:28 am

How much did Karlos Dansby want that 20th interception in his career, the one that was going to put him in the exclusive 20-40 (sack) club? I mean, he did mention he was one interception away from being a legend when he re-signed with the Cardinals again back in March. It finally came Sunday, eight games in, when the weird pass from 49ers QB C.J. Beathard ricocheted off the helmet of tackle Trent Brown and floated into the arms of the 36-year-old linebacker.

“When I saw it hit off the guy’s helmet I was like, ‘Yeah, that’s it, that’s the one,’ ” Dansby said. “It was  along time coming, I finally got it, and I got the monkey off my back. ready to move forward now.”

The other five players in NFL history in the club: Seth Joyner, Ray Lewis, Wilber Marshall and Brian Urlacher.

How much of a big deal is it for Dansby? He said he was framing everything: the ball, his jersey, his gloves, his shoes. Dansby still has never been to a Pro Bowl in his productive career, but he makes no bones about the fact he is still hoping the Hall of Fame is within his reach.

“I had this goal a long time ago, when I first got in the league, to get a gold jacket,” Dansby said. “I’m one step closer. I don’t know what else I’ve got to do. I’ve got to try and top the guys in this group, so I’ve got to press it.”

Dansby gave credit to everyone he’s been around in the NFL, making sure to mention all his teammates, coaches, training staff and “guys on the scout team” with all four organizations he’s played for. He is, of course, on his third tour of duty with the Cardinals.

“We got it done,” he said. “We finally got it done.”

It no longer has to dominate his thoughts. He was given a game ball in the locker room after the game, and during his speech, he also thanked his teammates. He also said, in only a way Dansby can, “God blessed me with great talent, a great gift.”

“He patted himself on the back a couple of times,” safety Antoine Bethea said with a smile. “But hey, he deserved it.”

Tags: ,

28 Responses to “Monkey of a pick gone, Dansby seeks gold jacket”

1. By Scott H on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

Um….is this sounding to anyone else like Karlos is concerning himself more with his personal achievements than team achievement?? Sure comes across that way to me. Damn, man….

Now that he is a legend, one can only hope that Karlos will continue to play on Sundays. I mean, that might get in the way of writing his acceptance speech for Canton, ya know?

Larry Fitzgerald reached a pretty significant milestone on Sunday, too. And I’m sure it matters to him. But somehow, I appreciate that he wasn’t patting HIMself on the back in the locker room after the game.

2. By Scott H on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

And the quote of “I don’t know what else I’ve got to do” isn’t really sitting all that well with me, either.

Gee, I don’t know either, Karlos. Maybe winning a SB??

Oh, I’m sorry, that’s a team achievement. I forgot. This is only about YOU getting your gold jacket.

3. By patrick on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

Congrats to Dansby, he has made HUGE plays for the Cardinals over the years including playoffs! A well deserved achievement!

4. By Big Ken on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

I dunno. It’s Carlos! He’s in some great company.Congrats to Dansby.

5. By D on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

I like Los, but his career isn’t in the same discussion as those 4 other LBs.

6. By Bugel on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

Los is the best middle linebacker this franchise has ever had and deserves his moment. Also, he is better than Seth Joyner and Wilber Marshall.

7. By Scott H on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

FWIW, I definitely like the black color rush uniforms for the Cardinals better than the white ones they wore last year. The white ones were terrible. The black looks pretty cool!

But, can I ask – what about RED??? We’re the CARDINALS, after all.

But overall, I really don’t like the whole color rush thing at all. C’mon, this is the NFL, not the arena league. The NFL needs to get back to some basics and sense of tradition. The NFL was great when all the teams had two uniforms, one for home and one for away. Period. What changed????

I mean, other than the NFL looking for another way to make money…..

The retro uniforms are cool to see once in awhile. But let’s leave it at that. The color rush thing just sucks.

8. By Darren Urban on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: White ones

There were no “white ones” for color rush. The unis they wore last year on TNF were the same ones they wore in San Fran this past weekend.

9. By Johnson on Nov 7, 2017 | Reply

@Scott H – You have been getting a lot of thumbs down for your comment and its no surprise. The team mantra has been a major problem for this below mediocre organization since the team has been in AZ. The so called fans dont appreciate that you mentioned about playing as a team is bigger than personal achievements – since personal achievements is all there is for this organization!

I remember watching Larry mentioning how he needed 5 yards for 100 yards in a game against the Hawks and Kurt Warner just wouldnt throw the ball to him! Larry wasnt pleased and Warner dropped a bombshell on him when he said “Are you interested in Winning, or getting 100 yards?”…I really thought Warner’s passive aggressiveness made the team for the better and we played as a team and won during that 2008 surreal season, alas at the end it wasnt to be!

-Sadly personal achievements is all what this team has now. Winning a SB is just a fairy tale.

10. By Lee on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

Back to the personal achievement comments with regards to Karlos. We can sit there and continually critique every word a player says. Hey, I sometimes do it internally. Another way to look at it.
    These HOF type players come into this league and are continually striving for personal achievements. I would be more concerned if Karlos didnt want to get that 20th interception. Now he wants that 21st. That sounds to me like team effort. Karlos can only control his own actions and not his teammates.
    A HOF players talent shouldn’t be wasted. The “role player” should be more concerned about the team effort thing. A role player should support the efforts of the more talented players. That’s what makes a team better.

11. By Scott H on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

Johnson –

Thanks for being willing to see it that way. But to be fair, I wasn’t looking to indict the organization as much as I was Karlos Dansby, who I love as a player, but let’s be honest – he is about himself.

And isn’t it interesting that you basically said the same thing I did, but I got negative responses while you got positive ones?

What a joke that whole thing is.

12. By clssylssy on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

@ Johnson…
    It IS possible to have personal goals & achievement w/o sacrificing the well being of the team. As a matter-of fact if everybody would have personal goals it would elevate their game as well as contributes to the success of the team as a whole. How is getting sacks, interceptions, pick 6’s, returns, yards per carry, receptions, TDS, going to do anything but help the team be better overall. Perhaps part of our problem is that we don’t encourage our players to focus enough on their skills @a personal level which is why there is the willingness to settle for mediocrity,then we see our players become stars when they go to other teams. Hearing a HC say, “It’s not my job” sends a message that it’s ok not to be accountable, and it’s always somebody else’s job. Everybody should strive for excellence both on a personal level and as a team. When the team wins everybody wins but likewise the team benefits budget from having an elite roster.
    And, don’t kid yourself, nobody ever got to the HOF w/o being a little bit selfish & ambitious—even Kurt Warner!

13. By Scott H on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Those weren’t color rush uniforms

OK. So you say, Darren. But those uniforms did not look…..”normal” that night. They definitely had a shiny look to them and with players also wearing white shoes in that game….there was just too much white. Maybe that was it. I’ve certainly seen them wear the road white uniforms enough times over the years that my eyes thought they were seeing something different that night. But I’ll take your word for it.

Onward.

14. By JTDG on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

Hey Scott,

I wrote on the last blog;
    Yes, Adrian Peterson is under contract for 3.5 million in 2018.
    If the cards release him, there is NO dead money.
    It is the perfect situation. If you have a plan in 2018, you can bring him back, if your plans don’t include him, you can save 3.5 million.

And received more thumbs down than up. The funny thing is, It is strictly fact that Peterson is under contract for 2018, and the cards can keep him at 3.5 million or release him and save 3.5 million.

So, thumbs down? Are people angry that the cards made a good trade for AP? Are they upset that the contract favors the Cards? Are they upset the cards have options next year at running back? Who knows?

It makes no sense, so just let the haters put thumbs down and keep throwing out your opinions. I enjoy reading them.

15. By Darren Urban on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

All —

RE: Thumbs

The only reason the “thumbs” are in here is because you guys asked for them. I can take them down.

16. By CARDS62 on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

Darren I like the thumbs so I vote we keep them. I have definitely received my share of the down vote, but I like to let others know when I find their posts interesting. Even when I do not agree with what they are saying I like to give them a thumbs up for giving me something to think about and to encourage them to post more.

Johnson I enjoyed your story about Warner and Fitz. I think we all can visualize this conversation.

I am very surprised Dansby never played in a pro bowl. I do not see HOF, but he was a great draft choice for us and one of our better players for a long time.

17. By Johnson on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

@clssylssy – You still dont get the team perspective and that is the problem I have with our fans defending such things..You really think A Super Bowl winning team like New England Patriots celebrates these little things? You think Tom Brady would have been all on the locker room and speaking to the media about – how I defeated adversity and Won my 5th Super Bowl and how I have 60K+ Yards and how I am nearing 500 TDs! They will never do that instead they are more than happy to trade away players which any other team would think twice before even speaking the word “Trade”. TEAM is everything that matters in this league to win championships!

Ofcourse Individual achievements matter, and they should – but celebrating it against a team that has 14 people on IR and 0-9 for the season is the real issue on hand. Its great that you have 20 INT and 40 Sacks – but how about that Embarrassing loss against the Rams or Eagles, where was your individual achievement on those days? On those days we didnt look a team but a bunch of rag tag players who were clueless against a better prepared and professionally coached team.

At this point, we dont have an elite roster! …Playing as a team is all what it will take for this organization to win that SB …Are we even thinking of that….NO – Just like we havent for the past 30 years, we will be happy to win 7-8 games and then supporters will be pleased with that performance.

Before, Warner – Cards were nothing as a team and only spare individual achievements mattered for players, he changed our thinking for the better, there is a good reason why that unexpected 2008 season happened, individual achievements of sacks, INT or 1000 yards didnt matter and everyone was trying to help each other to win.

As for all the individual achievements that we talk about – lets hope that this “team” can bring its panache and rely on their “individual” play to win on Thursday.

18. By Dynosoar on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

I finally watched Sunday’s game and here are my thoughts.

1. Larry! Larry! Larry!

2. Stanton 35.7% completion against the Rams. 50% against the 49ers. 52.6% career. Playoff QBs almost all have >60% completions. It’s within reach watching the improvement from the Rams game, we’ll see.

3. Stanton, I love Palmer’s ability to maintain presence in the pocket as it collapses around him, Nerves of Steel! I loved watching Stanton scramble. Just 6 of 10 passes completed instead of 5 of 10 and Stanton is in the running to take us to the playoffs. (Of course, that would n=mean players catching balls passed to them a little more often, not all were on the QB.

4. Dansby – sweetness. Now, go get a Super Bowl with this team that’s drafted you and brought you back both times you walked away for more money. And get that gold jacket.

5. Field Goals – ugghhh!

6. I want so bad to see Johnson AND Peterson in the backfield in a two back situation. Who do they cover. Ahh, play action. Hehe. Well, we probably don’t get to see this unless we make the playoffs. And we can, but we’ll need better play to do it.

7. Lastly, every time I saw Larry go in motion, every time without exception that he moved behind the tackles and guard, it was a run. Every single time. If I can see it I can guarantee a professional defensive line can see it. Play action please!

Well, it was fun to watch.

There have been other teams start a season where we are and make a run to the Big Dance. We’re not out of it yet. Bring on the Seahawks!

19. By clssylssy on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

@Johnson…
    In order for any TEAM to win Championships they have to have players who have confidence in themselves and are constantly setting the bar higher for themselves, working to better their craft. Do you think the Seahawks have won multiple SBs & Championships by passively sitting back and settling. They have a very competitive atmosphere in which their individual competitiveness makes everyone better. This is true for any organization. Having high standards of excellence produces an overall higher quality of performance by everyone. In 2015, the Cards ha

20. By clssylssy on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

Cont..
    had seven pro bowlers plus an alternate & that was a pretty good team; personal achievement was evident & the recognition was merely a measuring for what could be accomplished by a quality & competitive roster. Athletes understand that a constant desire to improve one’s skills & compete at a high level is key to any success be it personal or with a Team. The whole of a team is only as good as the sum of it’s parts!

21. By Dynosoar on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

Remember, Seattle had a 3-3 record in the 2014 season and went on to the Super Bowl (a loss, but that was a boneheaded play that lost it.)

We were 3-3 this season.

It is possible and at this point could still happen for us, it will almost certainly take a win this Thursday night. Bring on the Seahawks and let’s get this party rolling. We have the players, we have the coaches, let’s do this.

And one more observation from Sunday’s game, Budda Baker is everywhere on special teams and in the game. He may be the best player we drafted this year.

22. By Scott H on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

I say absolutely KEEP the thumbs up / down ratings. In and of themselves, they are entertaining.

They’re also SO predictable.

But JTDG hit it right on the head. Too often times, people are oblivious to facts. So, they must be reacting to what they perceive as negativity OR simply to the person who wrote the post.

And on both counts, I say deal with it. This team hasn’t been over .500 since the end of the 2015 season. That’s not an opinion. That is just simple FACT. Don’t hate on me for reacting to the things I see as having contributed to that.

23. By Scott H on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

Oh, the opinions will never stop, my friend.

I ain’t trying to win any popularity contests here. I don’t worry about how my thoughts are perceived. It all comes from the passion of a true fan and I appreciate the reactions from others who are not afraid to question and / or criticize where it is warranted.

Hey, maybe some people had no problem falling from 13-3 one year to 7-8-1 the next. Not me. I’m mad as hell about that. I used to get excited about a win against a decent team during a 4-12 season. I didn’t know any better. I had no frame of reference. I didn’t know you could – and SHOULD – expect more from your team. But the 2008 season changed all that. I vowed after that season to never go back to accepting mediocrity. Or less.

But I sense that after this year, we are headed back to those days again. I hope not, but…..there is legit cause for concern. But I’m not going back to my old ways from the old days. I’m keeping my expectations right where they are. Period. As the team falls farther below them, I find I have more to say. I get louder.

Again, that’s me. Deal with it. Give me all the thumbs downs you want. But if you’re a fan, don’t tell me you’re not un-happy about it, too.

24. By patrick on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

I agree that Dansby was really selfish when Mike Adams blitzed Aaron Rodgers and Dansby caught the ball and ran in to the end zone for the winning score in overtime in the playoffs. A team player would have lateraled the ball or downed in at the one yard line so a team mate could score the winning touchdown. You could tell by the teams and fans reaction that nobody approved of him glorifying himself like that!

25. By Kevin S Mesa on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

Re: Los and the HOF:

The 20/40 club is a great achievement, but it’s not enough.

Bill James once said, re: the baseball HOF, that to qualify, you had to be considered the best at your position, or at least among the best (if there happened to be several great players at your position at the time you played), for at least a portion of your career. Not all of your career, but for at least some of it, you had to be recognized as one of the top few players. You have to have the continued productivity over a long career that allows you to put up the HOF numbers, but you also had to be an All-Star at least a few times.

I would think the same would apply to the football HOF. Can you really be a HOF player without ever making a single Pro Bowl?

I mean, let’s look at this year’s list: Tomlinson went to 5 Pro Bowls (PB) and was selected to the first-team All-Pro (AP) three times. Then you have Warner (4 PB, 2 AP); Davis (3 PB, 3 AP); Morton Anderson (7 PB, 3 AP); Jason Taylor (6 PB, 3 AP).

Dansby is 0 PB, 0 AP. Never once recognized as elite at his position by either of these two measures.

A very good player, but HOF? Not happening.

26. By Scott H on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

patrick –

OK. And where was Karlos that defense of ours’ for the rest of that game? Seriously?

Hey, I went out of my mind when our defense made that play and ended that game. Never said I didn’t love Dansby as a player.

But look at the whole picture, not just one play from one game. What did we see after the 2009 season? We saw – and HEARD from Dansby himself – that all he cared about who was gonna offer the biggest contract and that was where he was going. Done deal. Didn’t seem to be any sense of loyalty to the team that drafted him or that he just went to the SB with one year before. Nope. Just show me the money.

Dansby has always been about himself. And as a pro athlete, he is hardly the only person you could say that about. I don’t mind any player “glorifying” himself after a big play. If you can’t tolerate that, you have no business watching NFL football.

But this talk about just being one INT away from being a legend and getting the gold jacket……that is all about personal goals and achievements. Where is the talk about hoping to help the Cardinals get back to that SB and get it done??

27. By Scott H on Nov 8, 2017 | Reply

FWIW, I don’t think Dansby is even going to be considered for the hall of fame. I don’t see it.

Now, here is a much more interesting discussion – is he a Cardinals Ring Of Honor candidate? THAT is a much better debate. I see a case to be made on either side. And at the moment, I don’t even know which side I would take.

Drafted by the Cardinals, yes…..great player for the Cardinals, yes…..three times a Cardinal, yes….

But his departure after 2009 sticks in my craw. And it seemed like he used being here for one year and having a very good season in 2013 as a platform to getting the best deal he could anywhere after that. And the fact that he chose to go to CLEVELAND tells you all you will EVER need to know about his desire to win a SB.
    Because NO ONE was going to CLEVELAND believing that team had a shot.

He always played well in Arizona. And he was part of good teams when he was here. But that never seemed to matter. When there was a better deal to be found elsewhere, he took it.

So…..Ring of Honor for Karlos? Honestly, I don’t know on that one.

FWIW, I will always wonder what might have happened after that 2013 season if the suspension for D-Wash had come down sooner – as in soon enough for the Cardinals to know about that BEFORE free agency. I’d imagine there would have been more urgency to keep Dansby here had that been the case.

28. By CARDS62 on Nov 9, 2017 | Reply

Scott H I always wonder what would have happened if D Wash wasn’t a stoner.