Keim: “I would not bet against” Stanton

Posted by Darren Urban on November 14, 2017 – 8:11 am

Not surprisingly, GM Steve Keim didn’t have a lot of quarterback answers as he talked Tuesday morning on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7. First thing was that he noted the Cardinals had yet to practice this week. The team gets a “bonus” practice today, and coach Bruce Arians will meet with the media later, with everyone wondering the health status of starter Drew Stanton’s knee.

“Drew is extremely tough,” Keim said “He’s the type of guy I would not bet against.”

If Blaine Gabbert did start, Keim said, Arians would cater to Gabbert’s strengths, which points to Gabbert’s athleticism. “I thought he looked comfortable when he had the opportunity to play early on (in preseason),” Keim said.

Keim said the idea of putting Gabbert in just to see what Gabbert can do going forward — balancing against the Cardinals having the best chance to win — is not a simple question. “You can go back and forth with that question,” Keim said, saying that if you turned permanently to Gabbert now and he struggled, “would you go back to Drew?” After Carson Palmer got hurt, Keim added, Stanton gave the Cardinals the best chance to win. Thursday was a good example, Keim said, because “Drew couldn’t have played much better. The receiving corps, frankly, let us down.”

— An interesting note with who could come off injured reserve. Keim called the process “fluid” and said there were five potential players who could still come back (the Cardinals can bring two players back total): Palmer, running backs David Johnson and T.J. Logan, guard Mike Iupati and … long snapper Aaron Brewer.

— Keim said there was no reason to overthink the signing of QB Matt Barkley. With Stanton banged up, it was an easy pickup of someone who has spent more than a year in the Arians offense and, if Stanton was out and Gabbert started and went down, Barkley “gives you an opportunity if he was forced into playing.”

— The move of Jared Veldheer back to left tackle was obvious at this point because the Cardinals wanted to have their best five offensive linemen on the field. “The sad part for me is that D.J. Humphries was playing so well,” Keim said. Keim reiterated Arians’ statement that Humphries should be healthy once the Cardinals’ offseason program commences in the spring.

— The Cardinals were already trying to get rookie safety Budda Baker more defensive snaps “because he earned it” but that will be accelerated with Tyvon Branch’s season-ending injury. Branch’s loss hurts on the field and the locker room, Keim said, but there is an excitement in seeing more from Baker, who has been the Cards’ best special teams player. “His ability to cover ground really puts him in a place where he can be a special player, in my opinion,” Keim said.

Tags: , , , , ,

47 Responses to “Keim: “I would not bet against” Stanton”

1. By clssylssy on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Need to get a different picture of Keim where he doesn’t look little ke a Mortician (however appropriate that may be).

2. By mitchaz on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Keim said today on Doug and Wolf that Stanton could start versus the Texans despite his knee injury and that Stanton “couldn’t have played much better” versus the Seahawks, that it was the WRs who let the team down.

Just when I was defending Keim’s roster building this week, he says obtuse things like this. Any time a QB is erratic throwing the ball it can have a significant effect the WRs’ timing and confidence. They don’t know if the pass is going to sail (see Gresham), be thrown a little behind them (see John and Jaron Brown), come at them quickly and wobbly (see J.J. Nelson) or miss them completely when they are wide open (see NBC clip of 4 wide open missed passes, 3 of which were on 3rd downs and ended drives). Good thing for Stanton that Larry Fitzgerald can passes thrust from a juggs machine into hurricane type winds, otherwise Stanton’s completion rate would have been in the low 40s, just as it was last year.

This makes me want to rethink my position on Keim. Maybe he is part of the biggest problems after all.

3. By Scott H on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Man, there isn’t a team in the NFL that has been more torn down by injuries than the Cardinals have been. We’ve barely been able to put the same team on the field 2 weeks in a row.

BTW…..can I ask, what ever happened to Brandon Williams??? Is he even still here?? Because if he is, it sure as hell hasn’t mattered worth a damn. Am I being too harsh in suggesting that a guy who wasn’t able to beat out Justin Bethel, THEN got passed over for Tramon Williams when Bethel got demoted must not be a very good player??

And he was…..picked in what round again???

4. By pleasantfishing on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Did Steve Keim not watch the game? Stanton missed wide open wide receivers 4 times which if he would have been accurate would have resulted in touchdowns and we would have most likely won the game.

5. By joe holst on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

I don’t know what they are going to do if Fitz retires , the cupboard.is bare.

6. By Big Ken on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert looks confident. It will be at the very least interesting to see what he can do. (LOL @ clssylssy’s comment)

7. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Keim as a Mortician? It’s appropriate as he and BA are burying the Cards this year through poor draft choices, bad play calling, poor personnel decisions, etc….

8. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Regarding Barkley… He did have a 355 yd. game this season, which is more than any Cardinal QB to date had- I think.
    Good idea Keim… Play a QB that has a sprained knee and is less mobile than a fresh QB who could actually scramble and is more accurate than Stanton… This type of thinking is why the Cards are 4-5…. As I have said before, the Cards will win enough games to remove themselves from drafting a quality franchise QB this draft.

9. By Darren Urban on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Thinking

Wait … so the Cards are putting themselves in a position to lose by playing Stanton … or they are going to win enough to mess with draft status? Which is it?

10. By Ken Moroney on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Remember when BA said “Stanton did not get any reps so you can’t expect him to perform well”. Well, maybe that is why our tight ends can not catch..cause the whole time BA has been here..and the three coaches before him….did not throw to tight ends! Then Keim says Stafford played well enough, but the receivers let him down. So Both him and BA are dead set on Stanton being our man at QB. I would like to think a player with the same team and same coaches can progress over each year. Fans, do you think Stanton has progressed? I would love to have Jaron, John, Fitz, David J (when he returns), and JJ and have a 2nd string QB or 3rd string QB with some NFL experience…and I would score ten thousand more points via passing than we ever will with a head case like Stanton who can not seem to deliver a ball TO THE RECEIVER..not over his head…at his feet..behind the receiver..wrong shoulder, or ESPECIALLY at nine gazillion MPH from 7 yards away. How about this…..I will give you $10 more on my season tickets for every pass thrown properly, and you give me $10 for ever poor pass he throws.

This is not a personnel issue; it is a loyalty and stubborn issue…& we lose

11. By D on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Realistically I only see the Cards winning one maybe 2 games the rest of the year. They should be able to beat NY at home in December and they have a chance to win in Houston. 5-6 total wins for the season should land them in the top 12 of the draft. The first big question this offseason will be if BA returns. I don’t see Mr. B replacing Keim and they won’t fire BA. This team has too many holes to fill for one offseason. ( QB, WR, TE, OL, Secondary, Kicking, etc ) I wouldn’t bring back D. Johnson this year.

12. By Jo Ball on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

I’ll bet against Stanton most of the times. I’m starting to see a pattern here … the few opportunities Stanton has had to start.. he’s end up hurt. I actually like Stanton .. as a back up and only a back up. I can’t for the life of me figure out what BA sees in him in terms of starter qualities. He’s wildly inaccurate.. a game manager when he’s playing his best football. So here we are again, Keim and BA defending guys that are just not cut out for their jobs (think Amos, B.williams, drew butler, j. Bethel) the list goes on and on. The sad thing is, this team has some superstars.. so we will win some games even with BA trying to unintentionally sabotage the games. The truth is, Keim has made mistakes.. just like every other GM.. AND he does make some mind boggling comments and choices at times. In my opinion however, he’s an average GM. For example, ppl complain about letting guys like D.J. S. And Tony Jefferson go… but think about who picked up these guys. Tony J was undrafted and nobody wanted D.J. at the time. The point is, he does SOME things well.

My real issue is BA. I never thought he was a good coach even when we were winning. Things got much worse after 2015. He basically gets Palmer killed year after year. An example: we have a 38 yea old immobile QB playing behind a horrendous line. So what does BA do? Calls slow developing plays that get his QB hit play after play after play with no help from TE’s .. no chips.. no nothing. I don’t think any of us were surprised when Palmer ended up on IR, everyone saw it coming. It was no different in Pittsburgh as he played the same song and dance with Big Ben who was on the verge of retiring. This is just one example of BA’s nonsense, for the sake of keeping this short.. I’ll leave it at that.
    His personnel decisions are another issue with me… Bettcher and Amos are not NFL quality coordinators. Period. Everyone makes mistakes, but his stubbornness to move on from his mistakes is what drives me insane.

As I said, we have some superstars who will put the team on their backs and win out a few more games for us the rest of the year … which will either hurt our draft position or keep BA around at least one more year. I’m hoping neither happens. Keim and BA are still riding the idea that we can get into the playoffs and not accepting reality. This team is lacking efficient players, is poorly coached and is dealing with way too many injuries at key positions.

13. By Dr. G. on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Mitch…between yours and jtdg’s analysis and Scott’s passion, I am saved lots of time posting the obvious game, coaching and player personnel observations.

Though I occasionally need to modify my interpretation on your take, it is obvious you and jtdg place lots of rational effort. Now, I guess a new light came on for you with the SK statements. From my perspective, I’m wondering if SK and I were watching different games? It is obvious also that the blog author is fair by posting the true and complete quotes.

Darren…Going back years here, it is always my contention that every team should try to win every game…some fans that can only attend 1 game deserve to see the best effort from everyone on the field…coaching included…and cheer leaders for many! (((Tanking can be an occasional subliminal reality for some teams)))

As you know…I still think Gabbert gives us the best chance with his skill set. The play calling can be simplified…cant be that hard. Be well

14. By Marlin on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

We aren’t going anywhere this year! We know Drew inside/out. Wanna see what Gabbert can do in our system! How can you argue that?

15. By Scott H on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

I hear ya about this picture of Keim. Unfortunately, it reminds me of what I probably look like when I’m watching this team play.

16. By Scott H on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Darren / NJCardsFan –

RE: Darren’s question

Darren, I gotta tell ya, I get what NJCardsFan is saying. And I honestly think that in response to your question, BOTH outcomes are possible. They are not mutually exclusive. IF they ride with Stanton the rest of the year and they win 2 or 3 more games ( AND probably against really bad teams like NY or maybe Houston now that they have no QB ), they will not have won many games but they WILL have won enough games to move themselves back in the draft.

So, you don’t win enough games to get you anywhere but you win enough of them that you pick between 10-12 instead of 6-8.

No, you never play not to win. Coaches and players can’t do that. But from a fan’s perspective? Hey, if it’s a losing season anyway, I’d rather come out of it with a higher draft pick.

17. By Darren Urban on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Mutually exclusive

I think they are. If everyone insists Stanton is the worst choice, then you’ll lose the maximum amount of games. That’s what I keep hearing from (most) everyone. Gabbert is better.

But then the Cards are wrong for playing him because … he’ll win too much?

I don’t get what he is saying, because now it feels like complaining about every scenario. I mean, why aren’t people complaining they just start Bercovici? Then it would be much harder to win.

18. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Darren- If Stanton isn’t 100%, why risk further injury with him by playing him? His knee issues seemed to affect his accuracy in the Seattle game.
    This is the perfect game for Gabbert to get his shot to play and see what the Cards have…. Josh had an excellent article on this today- Why Gabbert should start this Sunday.

19. By Paul on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

I understand it’s a business and you’re u can’t overspend, but please spend some money you owe the fans that payed for that

20. By Ric Italia on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Don’t bet against Stanton. I will bet that if he plays , he will miss hitting wide open receivers and complete his magic number of 50% of his passes.

21. By creditcard on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

I’m not a profit … but I did amply predict Palmer would not last to the bye week, based on the relentless pounding he endured.

Based on Stanton’s immobile status, and the horrid O-line, I predict Stanton will last only a couple more games before a season ending injury.

Gabbert will be playing by week 12.

Some of the Card’s decisions are mind numbing

22. By Dr. G. on Nov 14, 2017 | Reply

Jo Ball~ I’m thinking most readers will blow past your item concept of ((slowly developing plays)) for a statue QB. Astute, and has been obvious for several years under BA. A 5 step drop ((or more)) is needed for the long ball to develop…not a good situation for a suspect OLine or Palmer…and now Stanton with a bum knee.

BA needs a mobile QB to dine on this consistently…vicariously as he dreamed of trying it in his younger days as a QB.

With a more mobile QB, we have the choice of quick crossing and out routes OR the riskit longer stuff. I prefer mostly the quicker grinding approach…and over the top to decoy or as a surprise…lots of reasons that need no explanation… and with a decent ground effort with good blocking, we could be the Pats! (((Never root for them though)))

23. By Dan Nicholson on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

That’s great that someone can predict an injury and come back on the site to basically say I predicted it. Wow. If you want to call the O- Line horrid take a look at games missed by actual starters, 40 % of line is done for season. And one lineman was transitioning fron LT to RT and it took longer than expected. Theirs a reason players are starters and others are backups…. ……. That was a awful prediction by the way on teams QB going down.

24. By Scott H on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

OK, but let me clarify something, and I only speak for myself on this. I’m not insisting that Stanton is the worst choice at all. Might he be the best choice from a purely football perspective? Yeah, maybe he is. But who can even say THAT for sure? Without getting a chance to see what Gabbert can do…..

I’m saying I think he is the wrong choice from the perspective of which QB I believe we should be taking a look at now, with our future in mind. That’s all.

As ridiculous as this sounds, I don’t really care about winning games right now. But that’s me, as a fan. And I don’t care about winning right now because I don’t think we can win enough games for it to matter. I don’t see a playoff team here. So….that whole thing about trying to get to 8-8 just to avoid a losing season doesn’t interest me. In my mind, I’m already looking down the road. Right, wrong, or ridiculous, that’s where I’m at.

So, I’d rather see the QB we DON’T know enough about right now. And that is MY basis for thinking Stanton is the wrong choice right now.

And, yes, I know, this is pro sports, so I know the organization can’t think like that. I get it.

25. By Hammy on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

Who wants Drew Stanton as our future QB? Not me! From what I watched out of Blaine Gabbert throughout the years, he has all the potential in the world to be a Franchise QB. I look at his career so far and compare it greatly to that of Chiefs QB Alex Smith. Alex Smith had a different offensive coordinator each year of his career until Harbaugh and Greg Roman arrived in 2001. Since then he has been one of the better quarterbacks in the league. I think if we give Blaine that opportunity, we should garner the same results. Jacksonville was not a stable situation for him and neither was SF. I think we have a gem on our hands with this guy. Really hope the coaching staff gives him the nod for the rest of the year. Why draft a guy with no experience in the top of the draft when we could potentially have our guy on the roster? I’d rather pick a cornerback 1st round.

26. By Scott H on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

So, elsewhere on the site, it is being acknowledged by the HC that some of the errant throws that occurred against Seattle were because Stanton’s knee gave out on him.

But as of Tuesday we’re being told he practiced and nothing definitive beyond that.

Well, call me crazy, but it would seem completely foolish to play a QB who might be prone to errant throws because his knee might give out on him. That is apparently something Stanton ( and God bless his spirit, toughness, willingness to play ) can’t even control.

I’m suspecting an early-week smoke screen here. And that’s fine. I have NO problem not saying anything definitive right now and keeping the Texans in the dark about who our QB will be. That is pretty standard for this situation.

But I’m suspecting this is going to be a start for Gabbert.

There is no reason to put Stanton out there if he has limited mobility AND can’t trust his knee AND might not be able to control where his throws are going. That’s not in Stanton’s best interests or the team’s.

27. By Marlin on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

Starting to believe that the Cards want us fans to embrace Drew as the heir apparent starter. Oh boy! Passed on some good young QB’s the past few years (eg Carr). Gotta re-think the $4k I spend each year on those season tix.

28. By Dr. G. on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

At the risk of exposing an imaginary conspiracy, and knowing Gabbert can be gone as a listed UFA in 2018, can the FO be looking to minimize the purse if they choose to try to keep him?

And, if he is called to play this season and shows reasonable promise, will he opt to try for a much better $$$ deal in FA? With many teams constantly in need, this could be perhaps his last opportunity to score the bigger cash at age 28.

I don’t know the finite terms of his current deal, but it raises the question,””Why did they even bring him in if they don’t want to see him in regular season action now that Palmer is out and maybe gone. ((Has Palmer said behind the scenes that he will definitely come back? He gets SERIOUS $$$$!)) Crossroads for everyone!

With some of the key mgmt and coaching operatives probably gone, it would be best to look at Gabbert with a new, fresh system in place. 2018 can be a new birth. Later Cards Fans

29. By Dr. G. on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

Addtionally, there will be a free-for-all in FA with all the QBs coming off contracts. Maybe our FO is speculating on some of those players…dunno?

30. By Scott H on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

This is becoming an interesting situation…..there is that old adage that if teams start listening to what the fans what, it won’t be long before they’re sitting in the stands next to them. OK. But….

What happens if you DON’T listen to what the fans want? Then, the FANS might not be sitting in the stands, either.

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

31. By Coach K on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

My early idea on 2018 draft

After reading the bio and stats of this coming draft class, and looking at where I think the Cardinals will be adding talent, here is an early mock.

1. Baker Mayfield, QB, Okla.
    Real simple: Baker has the IT FACTOR and is a winner. I don’t give a damn about size. Give me the guy with a big heart and steel balls.

2. Calvin Ridely, WR, Bama
    Fitz will retire and we can’t afford another low draft pick receiver. Ridley has size and blazing speed. More important, high points the ball while maintaing body control.

3. Beau Benzschavel, OG-T, Wiscosin.
    Wisconsin is an NFL factory for NFL ready O-lineman. The o-line coach knows how to develop these guys for pro ball.

4. Toby Weathersly, OT, LSU
    Another plug and play offensive lineman from another school that has a long history of producing NFL o-line talent. This guy is a tree with great feet.

5. Duke Dawson, CB, Florida
    Average size and good speed. However, he is a tackling machine. I love guys who can hit and wrap up on run support.

32. By Big Ken on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

@ Coach K
    Mayfield definitely finds a way to win games. Even if it’s close. Should be a deep draft at WR.

33. By rod on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

I’d like to see T. J. Logan return.

34. By NJAzCardsFan on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

Darren- The reason I want to see Gabbert play is myself and a lot of other fans want to see how good this guy is with the talent the Cards have around him. Gabbert looked good against the Cowboys. Now is the perfect opportunity for Gabbert to showcase his talent(?), since Palmer and Stanton are injured. I can’t understand why the Cards front office keeps pushing Stanton. He has a completion ratio around 50%. and is not as accurate as Gabbert. Plus he is a FA at the end of the season.

35. By Coach K on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

Sorry for misspelling in my mock above. Toby Weathersby is correct for the tackle from LSU.

One quick comment on Gabbert. If he starts against Houston and plays well, you can expect him to finish the season.

Don’t be surprised if Gabbert wins five game. It all depends on how B.A. calls the plays. And based on B.A.’s past, that is my biggest concern.

36. By georgiebird on Nov 15, 2017 | Reply

To SK- it means nothing how a guy is playing if he is injured most of the time.

37. By mitchaz on Nov 16, 2017 | Reply

Rudolph The Red Nosed Cardinal?

Won’t you guide our sleigh tonight…

The Cardinals have been paying special interest in Oklahoma St. QB Mason Rudolph. They have been sending scouts to every one of his games.

Positives:

* All-time leading passer at Oklahoma St.
    * Good size at 6-4, 230.
    * Pocket passer who moves his feet to buy time in pocket.
    * Spreads the ball around—has an All-American WR in James Washington.
    * 2017 Stats: 3,690 yds, 64.8%, 10.2 ypa, 30 TDs, 7 ints., 15 sacks.
    * Carrer Stats: 12,404 yds, 63.4%, 9.4 ypa, 85 TD, 24 ints., 84 sacks.
    * Very productive in vertical style passing game (which the Cardinals under BA covet).
    * Well spoken, very dedicated, has leadership qualities.

Question Marks:

* Some scouts question his arm strength. Some see it as little above average.
    * Lack of mobility—85 sacks in career.
    * Throws a high number of 50/50 balls.
    * Throws off back foot at times under pressure.

Some say Rudolph has Tom Brady type skills, the way he can shift his feet in the pocket and throw quick darts over the middle and up the seams. Others compare him to former Cowboy Brandon Weeden (whose NFL career has been a disappointment) because he has been a little too deliberate at times and thereby, because of a lack of mobility, is sack prone.

In some early mocks thus far he is projected in the top 12, while in most early mocks he is a Day 2 pick.

I think that when all is said and done, Rudolph will go in the top 10 of the draft.

Take a look at his most recent game versus Iowa St. where he brought the Cowboys back from a 14 point deficit. Iowa St. has one of the better defenses in the country.

Scroll down and watch the tape of all his completions. It’s worth a good look. Rudolph is very impressive in this game—buys good time with his feet, shows poise, sets his feet up well in most cases, is accurate off a smooth release, extends plays like the TDs to WR Ateman, and has very good vision.

While I am enamored with the mobile QBs in this draft, I can see why the Cardinals have interest in Rudolph. At first i was skeptical about him, but the more i have watched of him, the more impressed I have become.

38. By CARDS62 on Nov 16, 2017 | Reply

Coach K do me a favor and look at left tackle from OSU Jamarco Jones and compare him against your guy from LSU and let me know what you think. Jones does not seem to be a vocal leader, just seems quiet and does his job and does not cause any trouble on or off the field.

Let the Gabbert era begin!

39. By JTDG on Nov 16, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz,

I would imagine the cards have scouts at every QB prospects games. I would.

Now I like Rudolph, along with a couple other guys. But who will be coaching him. Who are the receivers he will be throwing to. Is this the same line that will protect him?

Lots of questions before choosing a QB. What if the cards hire a coach who likes running QBs, with read options, RPO’s, and rollouts with a run/Pass option, is Rudolph your guy? In that case, maybe you take Lamar Jackson.

But to your point. Mason Rudolph has the tools to be successful in the NFL.

40. By JTDG on Nov 16, 2017 | Reply

Coach K,

Baker Mayfield;

If size was the only issue, then maybe. But the issues run deep with the guy.

He runs a spread offense which means there is a huge learning curve.(although that has changed some this yearr)
    How many plays are him escaping the rush and hitting someone down field. It is more sandlot than design.
    His arrest doesn’t look too good.

Is he Johnny Football ? Or is he Russell Wilson?

Russell Wilson, out of Wisconsin, was running a pro style offense. You could envision what he would look like on your team. He was known to be a solid citizen and great leader.

Johnny Football played sandlot football and got in trouble in college. Yes, he was a leader and his team followed him.

So, with Baker, are you really willing to risk a 1st round pick, knowing the risk?

I think, since he runs such a simple offense, that really doesn’t go through progressions, you have to find out how smart he is and the second thing is, what is up with the arrest that went viral?

This is a risky guy who won’t fit into every offense. Yes, maybe he becomes the next Wilson. He is accurate and tough. He has a lot of good qualities on the field. But Wilson was a 3rd rounder because he had his risk of 5’11”.

41. By mitchaz on Nov 16, 2017 | Reply

JTDG—

While I like Mason Rudolph and can see why the Cardinals are heavily scouting him, I would really like to see the Cardinals finally draft a mobile, dual-threat QB.

I would do everything I could to trade up to get Lamar Jackson. He might take a little time to develop, but he is a special talent and an outstanding athlete. Plus he has a David Johnson type personality—he and DJ would be an amazing fit.

Josh Allen intrigues me as well—his physical traits and skills are off the charts—but, again, he will have to be groomed for a year or two.

Like you, I wonder about Baker Mayfield’s size, but I think he has exceptional awareness, vision and playmaking ability.

Those are the three QBs I want for the Cardinals in this draft. At least, for now. Of course, so much depends on who is the next head coach and his style/philosophy.

42. By georgiebird on Nov 16, 2017 | Reply

@Scott H
    Talk about injuries all you want. Cards defense probably the healthiest unit in all the NFL. Our players are just not that good. Even Jones and PP- our two best defensive players- are rather poor against the run game.

43. By georgiebird on Nov 16, 2017 | Reply

@Mitchaz- every QB in the NFL has been a star in college at some point. Picking the right guy is still a crap shoot- and keeping him healthy is beyond a crap shoot.
    Neil Lomax was probably the best Cards drafted QB in the past 50 years and he had hip problems from the outset. Jim Hart a starting Cards QB for over 10 years wasn’t even drafted- and that’s when the draft was 15 rounds.
    Drafting QBs and LBs has been the achilles heel of the Cards for over half a century.
    And what you see in a QB is what most others see- unless his name is Brady.

44. By mitchaz on Nov 16, 2017 | Reply

Georgiebird—

The Cardinals are long overdue in drafting a QBOF.

Steve Keim has to make sure his choice is the right fit with the next head coach. That’s imperative—which again could be a “dream deferred” if BA and stay are back in 2018.

45. By Coach K on Nov 17, 2017 | Reply

JTDG

I respect your concerns on Baker, but I tend to compare him more to Russell Wilson and a better passer than Wilson.

Nobody can compare the disaster that was Johnny Football. so that is an unfair comparison.

Regarding Rudolph, he is also a spread offense QB. and I do like him also. he’s a little more passive than Baker, but I like him.

46. By Coach K on Nov 17, 2017 | Reply

CARDS 62

I like Jones from OSU, but he will be long gone before the fourth round.

2. Nov 14, 2017: Drew Stanton practices, but Blaine Gabbert gets some reps with starters | VegasPicks.com