Ellington lands in Houston

Posted by Darren Urban on November 22, 2017 – 9:19 am

Andre Ellington said goodbye after the Cardinals released him. Ellington was claimed off waivers by the Texans — the team the Cards just played, although Ellington didn’t see the field as a surprise inactive. There Ellington replaces D’Onta Foreman, who injured his ankle on his final touchdown run against the Cards. Ellington also gets to play with his cousin Bruce Ellington, a wide receiver on the Texans.

On Instagram, Ellington posted a farewell:

Special thanks to all my fans that supported me throughout my career in AZ. It’s been real! I truly enjoyed my journey as a Cardinal and playing in front of you guys. Unfortunately, some things must come to an end. To my teammates, best of luck and wish you nothing but success going forward. Much love!

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “Ellington lands in Houston”

1. By drblogubc on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

I am so happy for Andre Ellington. His classy message says a lot about the kind of person he is. Ellington now gets to play for a team with a more promising future, one with a much more talented, respectful and creative coaching staff. Wishing Andre all the best and hoping to see him thrive in Houston!

2. By mitchaz on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

Ellington gets to play with his cousin, Bruce Ellington (who was cut by the 49ers, but had a good game last Sunday versus the Cardinals)—and maybe Coach O’Brien can teach Andre to fight for the extra yard for a first down instead of running out of bounds.

3. By Scott H on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

That is a very classy farewell from Andre. He seems a good kid. I wish him well going forward. Will be interesting to see if another team finds more use for him than the Cardinals ever did. But, again, and as always, there just never seemed to be a role for him here.

4. By joe holst on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

his skillset was no longer a luxury the team can afford, they need guys that can bang out 3-4 yard runs instead of an occasional homerun

5. By Mark Mitzel on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

Hate to see him go. Another player that BA used incorrectly. I guess next year we will just keep adding to the over the hill players we have and just keep getting worse. I would hope that Michael B. steps in and makes some major changes in the off season to the front office so we can see some changes in the team. Good luck Andre!

6. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

Ellington a good guy, too bad body broke down so much.

Interested in what Foster can do, and Carlton just activated. And Chad to be active…changes coming… Gabbert’s time…will be there Sunday to see…

7. By tom manoogian on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

—-if he could stay healthy he would be a real threat,great ball catcher,good runner,but have to be able to play.john brown will be next,wish best for ellington,maybe brown can follow him.

8. By D on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

A. Boone has been solid the last 3 games, Keim needs to extend him. This would mean they could save some $ for next year by releasing Iupati at the end of the year. Keim will need to address the Right side this offseason. Find a RG in free agency or the draft and decide on what to do with Veldheer at RT. If he wants to continue to play, then ask him to take a pay cut, most likely Keim will be needing to use at least a second round pick at a new RT in the draft after releasing Jared. If BA retires, then I would also release Shipley at Center and install Boehm.
    Not a lot of cap space for next year when considering how many starting free agents there will be on the roster, unless both Palmer and Larry retires then a complete rebuild can commence. I did notice Keim had some interest in S. Day, DT. Tells me Peters will be out for some time and they are aware they still need to find a long term run stuffing DL.

9. By Coach K on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

Good kid who took the high road despite a coach who routinely throws his players under the bus.

Wish him well with his cousin.

I hate to always be negative on BA, but I never realized before how arrogant he was and narcissistic until this year.

The problem is, Keim is basically like a step son so I don’t expect any real changes in coaching staff or play calling. And that is sad.

10. By Scott H on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

D –

I’d be leary of extending Boone for the future. He was a good fill-in for this year and…..really, how hard is it to look good playing on THIS O-line right now??

C’mon, we need to be DONE with these older players. We loaded up on nothing but older players this year and….well, I’ve seen enough. We are paying for riding the Veldheer and Iupati trains too long. Why jump on another one?

This team needs to get YOUNGER, and that is needed nowhere else more than along our O-line. We need to start putting a sturdy line together via the draft, pronto. A F/A or two in their prime or at least with some yearS ( plural ) left would be fine.

Boone might be OK for a one-year deal as long as you are up-grading just about everywhere else. But if not…..we need to get off this old-guy track.

And just since we are on the topic, I really may consider dis-owning this team if AQ Shipley is our starting center again next year. In terms of players we need to move on from? He is the poster child for that movement right now. TOP of that list.

11. By Scott H on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

In other news…..man, I am dreading the return of Calais Campbell to UoP this Sunday. The guy is already a beast, having his best season ever. But coming in here with the added motivation that naturally comes with playing against your former team???

Lord help us. We can only hope Shipley never offended Campbell when he was here…..

Blaine Gabbert, meet Calais Campbell. You may as well get on a first name basis with him early on because he is probably going to be back.

Over recent years, I got so tired of hearing so many people calling Campbell over-rated and complaining about how he disappeared too often during the games. Yeah. OK. I got a feeling he is going to be VERY present on Sunday. Some of those people ( and you know who you are ) should at least have the decency to fess up and admit they were just plain wrong.

12. By Richard S on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

Glad to see Ellington got picked up. His function I suppose was a lot like Larod Stephens Howling, I like both of them.

13. By clssylssy on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

Always happy to see our guys improve their situation, and while this may have felt like a slap in the face initially, will most likely prove a gift. He had the opportunity to work with some real quality guys for teammates & now has the opportunity to apply everything he’s gleaned to a new beginning with a young and progressive organization. Sometimes getting fired from a bad job is the opportunity of a lifetime! Good luck Andre & thanks for your efforts!

14. By BChimp0 on Nov 22, 2017 | Reply

Thanks Andre for that 53yd home run against Seattle. All the best!

15. By Dr. G. on Nov 23, 2017 | Reply

CoachK ~ ~ Good post…Agree on BA…he is certainly haughty at the mic. I posted before that it was never a favorite thing for me to hear the “”coach’ em hard and hug ’em later”” bs bluster.

Re: Ellington, he simply says, “”poor play.”” That’s it? How about “”poor coaching”” as an optional response? ((Ran him into the ground))

Recliner, six pack, tv remote…! …the time is “”now”” to exit…yes mid-season. He’s tired and frustrated and has failing health. He has a ton of $$$ to sit and count.

Two words for MichaelB ~ ~ Josh McDaniels…yep…

16. By John s. on Nov 23, 2017 | Reply

I was sorry to see Ellington go, I thought he was talented, and just never really used right under the BA playbook myself. Might have gotten a draft pick and/or player in a trade if doing this sooner as well; seems a waste. Anyway, hopefully he will get to play more where he is going… I knew somebody would want him, and wish him well.

17. By georgiebird on Nov 23, 2017 | Reply

Happy Thanks giving to Cardinals’ fans. I’m giving thanks that the Cards are 4-6 instead of 0-10. Well maybe that isn’t a good way to put it looking at the draft.
    Hoping that the Cardinals’ organization can start making better personnel decisions for the rest of the year and going forward.
    Aside from picking up AP, and getting Alex Boone at the time and now letting go of AE. I can’t think of too many good moves made by the organization the past couple of years.

18. By georgiebird on Nov 23, 2017 | Reply

All those talking about CC’s great season. To any fa that understands the DL, you knew that CC was not a 3-4 player- not quick enough to be an NT and not fast enough to be a DE. Same thing held for DD in the 3-4. But now CC is back in a comfort zone playing the 4-3. It’s as simple as that.
    Cards have the same problem with Markus Golden- Markus is a step or two slow as an edge rusher. MG would make a much better ILB -at least he would help the rush defense while possibly getting lost in space once in a while.

19. By Dan on Nov 24, 2017 | Reply

Try not running out of bounds all the time, its football not flag football………another pointer, try looking around more when u are running and be more patient. Doubt u will read it but thats the issue with you…….maybe just elusive enough, trip over your feet too much…..too fast for your own mind………goodluck.

20. By Louis Callegari on Nov 24, 2017 | Reply

its time to move on stop dreaming . ITS the same old cards nothing will chance until Bidwill sell the team.

21. By Rick on Nov 24, 2017 | Reply

That is good for him and us. Time to move on.

22. By Brett Colorado on Nov 25, 2017 | Reply

Dr.G,
    I hope you just want Josh McDaniels as OC and not a head coach! That guy is just a little puppet boy, makes very poor personal decisions and tries to be somebody that he is not.