Budda leads Pro Bowl voting at special teams

Posted by Darren Urban on November 23, 2017 – 10:43 am

The Cardinals haven’t had the kind of season they want record-wise, but they still have a handful of players who have appeared in the top 10 in Pro Bowl voting thus far. That’s led by Budda Baker among special teamers — a surprise given that he is a rookie, but deserved the way Baker has played special teams this season. Baker has the most votes of anyone in the NFL in the special teams category.

Four other Cardinals are in the top 10 at their positions. Larry Fitzgerald is fourth among wide receivers and second among NFC wideouts (behind Julio Jones). Chandler Jones is fourth among outside linebackers, but the leading vote-getter in the NFC. Patrick Peterson is eighth among cornerbacks, fifth among NFC corners (Jaguars cornerbacks A.J. Bouye and Jalen Ramsey, whom the Cards will face Sunday, are first and second.) At safety, Tyrann Mathieu is ninth, and sixth in the NFC.

Voting goes through Dec. 14. Click here to vote.

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Budda leads Pro Bowl voting at special teams”

1. By hawkkiller on Nov 23, 2017 | Reply

Baker is going to be an absolute beast here in Arizona. Baker has all the markings of a All-Pro caliber Safety in the making, all this kid does is make plays. He reminds me of an even more explosive young Honeybadger, hopefully we can keep Baker’s knee’s healthy lol. I think Mathieu is going to get back to being himself again though playing at an All-Pro level again, the more he plays the better he gets , next year I think he will get back to the elite level he usually plays at, that knee is getting stronger and stronger and he keeps looking better n better.

2. By Coach K on Nov 23, 2017 | Reply

I can’t recall the reciever’s name in pre-season who was catching everything. He had a bigger body and Wolf was always raving about him and compared his body to that of Anquan Boldin.

Was it Jeremy Ross I’m thinking of?

3. By Darren Urban on Nov 23, 2017 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: WR

I guess it could’ve been Ross. His body was probably similar to Q, although he certainly is not Q.

4. By Dr. G. on Nov 24, 2017 | Reply

I loved that play where Budda sack//striped the ball and kept after it for a turnover…pure gammer tenacity. ((Tenasty)) Other players may be embarrassed to see his work ethic…? Exemplary movitation the entire game!

Now the line for the Jags is -5.5…over/under @ 37.5… I want to be in the locker room pre-game to ask every player if they like hearing that “”This game is like a bye; Jaguars will cover easily and also win the game.”” That is the current narrative in Vegas.

Darren ~~ Please pass this on to Fitz or Palmer and ask them to relate this narrative pre-game… ((No offense, but they probably won’t hear what BA says.))

5. By Dan on Nov 24, 2017 | Reply

Budda, best player on the team.

6. By JQ on Nov 24, 2017 | Reply

Anybody else feel like Betchers demeanor make you wanna smack him upside the head ?

7. By Hammy on Nov 24, 2017 | Reply

Really nice to see Budda Baker get the recognition for his special teams work. He has truly been a bright spot for this team. I dont know who scouted him but kudos to them and Keim for drafting this guy. He plays fast, with instinct and never takes a play off. I really like this kid and excited to see what he can do next season as our starting safety. Cant understand how PP is ranked 8th??? All this guy does it shut down him opposition. The media is talking about Jalen Ramsey as the best corner in the league. What about PP? I guess your team has to have a wining record in order to be the best ???

8. By Dr. G. on Nov 24, 2017 | Reply

ScottH ~ ~ I see what you mean sometimes with the đź‘Žs when you’re just the messenger…simply quoting the game odds…not my opinion.

Tanking for the draft has never been an option…the fans don’t pay their hard earned money to see a loss, especially at home.

9. By Dr. G. on Nov 24, 2017 | Reply

I’m watching for Fitz, Gabbert, Budda, Jones and Company to exceed the bettors’ expectations and win this game. It can make a difference for attitudes in general.

And instead of constantly dumping our early picks for more lower picks that rarely make a difference, the GM ((whoever that is)) should trade up now and then to maybe find the PEARL that can really help long term.

My ole poker bud Calais will get a warm welcome ; I will graciously want to impede his success as if we were at the table. Go Cards

10. By Scott H on Nov 24, 2017 | Reply

Wow, hard to believe PP is 8th overall, 5th in the NFC. One might wonder if that has to do with people tuning out from the Cardinals since they are not a factor. But….if that’s the case, how do you explain the votes coming in for Fitz and Baker??? But I’m glad those players are getting that recognition.

That speaks volumes about the appeal of Larry Fitzgerald.

But really happy for Baker, getting noticed as he is as a rookie. Hmmm….I thought Bethel was the special teams ace around here. Guess not. Man….been a tough year for my man, Justin.

11. By mitchaz on Nov 25, 2017 | Reply

Scott—

Voters are watching the Cardinals’ games—in fact, it seems every time the Cardinals get a good performance from a player he gets NFC player of the week.

Patrick Peterson is an enigma—and people are noticing. If ALL a CB had to do is cover one man—he’d be one of the leading vote getters.

But, the Cardinals have been playing way more zone coverages this year and quite frankly Peterson (as well as the rest of the defense) has struggled in zone.

Plus the zones have exposed him as a reluctant tackler. Notice how he often conveniently slips when trying to make a tackle…or acts like he was faked out?

Case in point last game—the Cardinals are in zone and Peterson has the flat. The Texans throw a WR screen which Peterson is sitting in perfect position to defend with no blockers near him. On the pass, Peterson should have been right up on the man to make the tackle. Instead, he hesitates. Then, he takes the absolute wrong angle and winds up running wildly out of bounds while the WR steps easily right inside him and gets 9 yards before FS Budda Baker comes to make the tackle.

Some of Peterson’s tackling efforts, like this one, are not only fundamentally poor, they are embarrassing. Teams know to run to his side.

Next time you see him being blocked by a WR check out how little Peterson does to try to shed the block.

Moreover, people have seen over the last 5 years that Peterson is no longer interested in punt returns. Talent wise, Peterson is probably the most gifted punt returner on the planet, as he showed his rookie year when he was into it.

Some fans are quick to say, well as long as Peterson shuts down his man, nothing else should matter. But, those same fans are not saying Larry Fitzgerald shouldn’t have to block, especially in the box where at any moment his legs could get rolled up on from behind.

Fitz leaves it all out on the field—that’s why he’s way up there in the voting and Peterson is not. Fitz is a pro’s pro—which means he does the dirty work and takes pride in every aspect of his job, regardless of whether he likes to do it or not.

12. By clssylssy on Nov 25, 2017 | Reply

Well stated Mitchaz. While Peterson is one of the best all around athletes, he unfortunately (like most of our other players not named Larry Fitz) lacks good basic skills technique & has developed a rep for not wanting to do the dirty work of more physical corners, leading some to get the wrong picture of him.
    The Cards need a coaching staff that works on basic technique and skills, keeping them honed and sharp w/o getting sloppy.
    Larry has continued to push himself to perfection and works on his skill set twelve months a year through cross training. His total commitment to his craft has earned him the recognition & respect of his colleagues & fans throughout the league & is why he a legend. Ironically, Pat P was better as a rookie and seems to have cooled off since Coach Bowles left.

13. By Dr. G. on Nov 25, 2017 | Reply

Mitch ~ ~ Never finding a reason to dispute what you post~ this one on PP21. Each time over the past few years I mention that he avoids serious contact like a rabid dog is coming at him, the chorus defends him as if he was “”Prime Time.””

He was deservingly touted as the best athlete in the draft, but his penchant to avoid a hard tackle is commonplace, ala how he let Marshawn Linch look like Bo Jackson when he refused to tackle him…results ~ 6 points.

There are innumerable embarrassing examples that are notable during his tenure, but I’ll not repeat them… Early on, I did some reading on his history…it illuminates reasons ~ like ~ he was a RB before he decided to go defense, ‘cuz he could choose to hit or not to hit. As a RB, he did not have that choice.

I believe he could be one of the top 3 in the NFL for his career, but his fearful emotional mind set prevents. Don’t make me mention guys like Julio, Megatron again who most good CBs could at least slow them down.

Aside from the glucose thing, PP21could have incredible results if he took a Budda/Fitz pill. The talent is there; his toughness has never been touted. If they put him at Safety, the critics would be harsh.

I always root for him to “”git-r-done”” Darren will rarely ((did recently though)) point to PP’s challenges. The deal is that if PP errs, it’s usually big ~ he’s involved in critical plays when they come. I want success for him, but those plays are sometimes win-or-lose. Be well…

14. By Scott H on Nov 25, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz –

Thanks, as always, for bringing the substance.

I’m guessing that you – like me – are more of an Aeneas Williams fan! Now, THAT was a corner. There was a guy that did it ALL. Could cover as well as anyone ever did….great ball skills…..great hands……only had one intensity level, which was ALL-OUT…..and, yes, the man could tackle. My 2nd favorite Cardinal of all time ( and just barely ), only to Larry Fitzgerald.

Clearly, effort is high on my criteria list.

15. By mitchaz on Nov 26, 2017 | Reply

Scott—

Aeneas was special. Your description of Aeneas is spot-on. The only thing i would add is that Aeneas was also a tremendous blitzer. He and Roger Wehrli are my all-time favorite Cardinals’ CBs.

My two all-time favorite Cardinals’ safeties are Larry Wilson and Adrian Wilson. Larry Wilson was the most acrobatic and versatile FS I’ve ever seen—plus he invented the safety blitz. And as for AW—my favorite moment as a Cardinals’ fan watch watching the tears roll down AW’s face as the confetti was falling at U of P when the Cardinals won the Halas Trophy (NFC Championship). AW put his heart and soul into the Cardinals.