Budda now second in Pro Bowl voting

Posted by Darren Urban on November 30, 2017 – 9:25 am

Budda is now second.

A week after the rookie surprisingly led all NFL players in votes for the Pro Bowl special teams spot, Budda Baker dropped to second behind Philadelphia’s Kamu Grugier-Hill. You have to wonder if Grugier-Hill’s emergency turn as kicker — quite a sight on national TV for a 6-foot-2, 220-pound linebacker who looks even bigger — made an impact. Still Baker is in good shape, even if he shrugs off the current standings.

“It feels good but I don’t really pay attention to any of it,” Baker said. “I didn’t really even know about that. Chandler (Jones) told me about it. It’s cool, but it’s still early.”

A quick rundown on the rest of the Cardinals currently among the top 10 vote-getters at their position in the NFL:

— WR Larry Fitzgerald (fifth overall, third in NFC)
— OLB Chandler Jones (fifth overall, first in NFC)
— CB Patrick Peterson (eighth overall, fifth in NFC)
— FS Tyrann Mathieu (ninth overall, fifth in NFC)

Again, the voting goes through Dec. 14. Click here for a ballot.

Tags: , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Budda now second in Pro Bowl voting”

1. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Nov 30, 2017 | Reply

I give Steve Keim a lot of grief for his first-round draft busts, but what a great pick he made here! Were going to need a lot more in 2018.

2. By Allan Kuenn on Nov 30, 2017 | Reply

It looks like the fact that Peterson is an ‘extremely reluctant’ tackler has caught up to him. It is embarrassing to watch him pretend to get blocked or try to make a feeble arm tackle.

3. By Scott H on Nov 30, 2017 | Reply

And there’s Larry Fitzgerald, right where he always is, on his way to another Pro Bowl. Just another day at the office for him.

So much for the recent idiotic comments made on a previous blog about Fitz just playing to do enough to keep his streak alive, ala Eli Manning.

Brilliant commentary there, huh?

4. By Scott H on Nov 30, 2017 | Reply

This is great for Jones, too. I think other aspects of my general frustration about how things have gone over the last two seasons somehow prevented me from noticing just how good he really is. I really thought his impact would be diminished with Campbell’s departure and Golden’s injury. But….not so!

5. By CARDS62 on Nov 30, 2017 | Reply

Allan PP is not as good as Prime Time but he is very close and an elite cover corner. I will take him on my team any day plus I really like his passion. I agree he is not a tackler but neither was Prime Time.

I voted for the guys mentioned in the article except for Honey Badger, and I also voted for G Alex Boone and our P Andy Lee.

I voted for the Rams kicker that dude is having a heck of a year, and Todd G., and Aaron Donald.

I hope we are competitive Sunday.

6. By patrick on Nov 30, 2017 | Reply

Scott H
    I did not say Fitz is playing just to keep the streak alive.

What I am saying is
    1) the Cardinals should not script a wide receiver screen to Fitz in the first 15 plays just to get the streak out of the way so it does not become a burden later in the game.
    2) especially for a streak that would have ended a long time ago if the cardinals did not run meaningless pass late in a game with the sole purpose of keeping the streak alive.

I think a team should run every play (especially early in the game) to try to win the game!

I will leave it at that until a team jumps the route.

7. By Johnson on Nov 30, 2017 | Reply

I am amazed that there are any cardinals in the running, except maybe for Larry or Jones. Some brief individual amazing performances other than another pathetic season in which we will not make the playoffs. Happy for Budda but knowing how Cardinal players are made of plastic and glass – even if he gets selected, makes no sense for him to play in the Pro Bowl – a nod would be great thing.

8. By Coach K on Nov 30, 2017 | Reply

Good for Budda

Now lets see if Keim can make an impact in this next draft by
    getting an impact young QB, Offensive lineman and big physical
    receiver among other needs.

9. By Allan K on Nov 30, 2017 | Reply

Cards62, thanks for the reply. If you play on defense in football, tackling is a primary skill set. Frankly if I was on a team with someone like that, I would be pissed off that they want the rest of the defense to do that hard work for them. I have/had the same issue with Deion S.

For what it is worth,I also think it causes moral issues on the team.

10. By Mike S on Nov 30, 2017 | Reply

Every Cardinal on the list is deserving of Pro Bowl status with the exception of Mathieu. He has never recovered from his injuries. He’s constantly chasing the guys he’s covering. His interceptions this year were the result of terrible throws by the opposing QBs.

11. By dynosoar on Nov 30, 2017 | Reply

If we win out (and I don’t believe we will), but if we win out we have a 62% chance of making the playoffs.

That’d be awesome! Again, I don’t expect it, but I do believe if this team comes together and wants it badly enough, they can make a playoff push still. Again, they’d have to win out.

Buddah is Fun to watch.

I enjoyed most of the game against the Jags, fun game. A loss and we were completely done for playoff chances. Well, any loss here on out does pretty much the same thing.

12. By clssylssy on Dec 1, 2017 | Reply

dynosoar…
    I see this game as winnable (not getting TOO hopeful)…the Cards have played some of their best games as underdogs and against all odds, and with a little left over pep in their step from last week, it could be a nail biter. Wouldn’t that be something! After we actually had a win, I even spotted Michael Bidwill poking his head out, could it be he’s ready to face the fans & answer some of the hard questions?

13. By Dr. G. on Dec 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren – – Thought I had a pretty good grip on the player admin, but I have never seen this item – – “”Practice Squad /Injured.”” Please explain how we can have 11 men on the PS… Thank you…

14. By Darren Urban on Dec 1, 2017 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Practice squad

He would not be on the practice squad, he’s on PS/IR. Just like those on regular IR are not on the 53-man roster.

15. By CARDS62 on Dec 1, 2017 | Reply

Allan K I hear what you are saying and I agree you want your defender to be great at everything, but sometimes it just does not happen.

Patrick Peterson makes plays so that he and others do not have to make tackles and just like Prime Time he will be welcomed with open arms on any team in the NFL. I am glad he is a Cardinal, but I get your point. I do not think PP carries baggage with him either.

To be honest I love the Honey Badger and Karlos Dansby but right now I rather see PP in space trying to make a tackle than these two. It is not for a lack of will on the part of these two warriors it is just the body is not able.

We need better tackling all around on our team.

GO Cards beat those Rams.

16. By JTDG on Dec 1, 2017 | Reply

Budda looks like the Badger did in 2013.

Back to Badger, when I posed the question about his quickness and his weight, you had not yet written the piece on Chandler Jones.

Jones dropping 15-20 pounds has made a world of difference in his speed and is turning in an MVP type season.

I am thinking more and more that the Badger would benefit taking off the 10-15 pounds he added. As I noted a few days ago, he is clearly a step slower.

Some would say it is just the injury, but I am not so sure. I would love to see Badger come into camp next year at 175. Small? Yes, but he is 5’9″ so trying to walk around bulked up at 186 might have an effect.

At this weight and speed, he should be a camp casualty next year.

17. By Darren Urban on Dec 1, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Mathieu

With the guarantees in his contract, if Tyrann is on the team in camp, he will be on the roster.

18. By JTDG on Dec 1, 2017 | Reply

Badger;

True. And I fully expect him to be a cardinal in 2018. You have Branch, who is a FA and has been injured the last two years. Bethea is older and I don’t think the young guys like Ford have shown anything.

With so many holes to fill, I don’t think they will let Badger go.

Of course that huge 5 million roster bonus looms large and basically, if the keep Badger in 2018, they have to keep him in 2019.

Bad contract.

Now if it was me in charge, With that contract, Badger is released well before that bonus kicks in. .

19. By JTDG on Dec 1, 2017 | Reply

For those wondering about the Badger contract;

Tyrann is due a 5 million dollar bonus in 2018.

Before the bonus, Mathieu counts against the cap for 14.1 million in 2018.

But if he gets that Bonus, in 2019, he will count against the cap for 14.1 million but if released, would count for 14.2 against the cap.

So, if you keep him and allow him to get his bonus, you are keeping him through 2019.

To me, there isn’t an option. Badger must be released at the end of the year.

20. By Dr. G. on Dec 1, 2017 | Reply

Darren — Still don’t understand how we can pay 11 guys on the PS, but I’ll do some homework…

**********

And, since you mentioned this, what’s your take that Herm Edwards will probably get the ASU job from his old “”AGENT”” ?? A little hanky panky there? …age 63, 10 years since he was a HC, and ESPN is trying to dump all their big money guys. TGraham gets a sweet exit deal…

I’m not judging, ‘cuz he’s a good guy, but there are lots of “”what ifs”” i just don’t know if this is the best for the University. Your thoughts?

21. By Dr. G. on Dec 1, 2017 | Reply

jtdg ~~ re: Badger…yup, agree..maybe an ugly business for the Fans that are loyal to him despite his reduced speed//production.

jtdg~ ~ also your thoughts on HermE if you read my post. Like me, I know you’ve been here forever…be well

22. By Scott H on Dec 2, 2017 | Reply

patrick –

Your original statement was that they ( Giants ) could let Eli play the first snap or two of each game, that way, he could keep his streak alive with the same credibility as Fitz.

OK, how is that not a statement equating Eli / the Giants doing something completely bogus with what Fitz is doing?

Clearly, I was not the only person who heard exactly that. If that was not what you MEANT, OK. But maybe you need to look back at what you SAID.

And your continued statements here on this blog continue to sound like you feel the Cardinals are “scripting” things to keep Fitz’ streak going. And I will say it again, you couldn’t sound any more ridiculous than you do. Fitz led the league in receptions last year. Caught more passes than any other player in the league. How does THAT happen when all they’re doing is giving Fitz some token catches just to “get it out of the way” so it is not a “burden later in the game?”

And the quotes are taken directly from your post, so please spare me any further claims that you never said that.

Good to know you hoping that teams will start jumping the routes. But it would seem to me that if what you claim is true, they would have already figured that out by now. Funny….I’m not seeing it.

23. By Cardinalchris on Dec 2, 2017 | Reply

JTDG

“Before the bonus, Mathieu counts against the cap for 14.1 million in 2018.
    If released, he would count 9.3, freeing up 5 million of cap space in 2018. and he counts nothing for 2019. ”

Always enjoy the info – thanks for keeping us informed. Those are huge PP/Sherman/Norman type numbers. Don’t see that happening. Will be interesting to see if Cards management sees enough to redo the deal.

24. By JTDG on Dec 2, 2017 | Reply

Dr G,

For ASU to get a coach with NFL experience in both playing and coaching seems to me to be a plus.

When a college coach sits in the living room of an 18 year old player, who is deciding where to go, it can’t hurt to know the coach recruiting you not only knows what it takes to get to the next level, but also knows what front offices and NFL coaches look for in a player.

Recruiting is half the battle, maybe more, in college football.

Landing Herm Edwards , you would think would help with recruiting.

I would also think, with his time away from coaching and analyzing games for the networks, he has probably got a good perspective of how he would do things this go around.

Let’s face it, any hot , young coaching prospect will use ASU as a stepping stone to get to some of the big colleges. I think Herm would be a pretty good hire.

25. By JTDG on Dec 2, 2017 | Reply

Cardinal Chris;

Thanks. To your point, Here is badger’s contract compared to the CBs you mentioned and then the best safeties in the game

Badger – 5 year / 62.5 mil / 40 guaranteed / 12.5 mil per year

CB’s

Pat P – 5 years / 70 million / 47 mil guaranteed / 14 mil per year

Sherman – 4 years / 56 mil / 40 guaranteed / 14 mil per year

Norman – 5 year / 75 mil / 50 guaranteed / 15 mil per year

Now compare him to the Best safeties , which is what he is;

Earl Thomas – 4 year / 40 million / 29 mil guaranteed / 10 mil per year

Malcolm Jenkins – 4 year / 35 mil / 21 mil guaranteed / 8.75 mil per year

Devin McCourty – 5 year / 47 mil / 29 guaranteed / 9.4 mil per year

Harrison Smith – 5 year / 51 mil / 29 mil guaranteed / 10.2 mil per year

Tashawn Gibson – 5 year / 36 mil / 12 mil guaranteed / 7.2 mil per year

Micah Hyde – 5 years / 30 mil / 14 guaranteed / 6 mil per year

And just for fun, how about ;

Tony Jefferson – 4 years / 34 mil / 19 guaranteed / 8.5 mil per year

Now remember, this contract was signed while the Badger had just under gone surgery for the second time in two years and was on IR while having another year to go on his current contract. I would take every safety on that list over Badger.

And that list doesn’t even include those working off rookie contracts like Landon Collins.

26. By JTDG on Dec 2, 2017 | Reply

Should say 4 years not 2 years for surgery

2. Dec 1, 2017: Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals have a running back issue LINK | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog