Adrian Peterson will not play versus Rams

Posted by Darren Urban on December 3, 2017 – 12:58 pm

I’ve covered the NFL for almost 20 seasons, and I can think of very, very few times when a Cardinal had not practice all week and then was still active on Sunday. Wide receiver Brittan Golden did it earlier this season (much to my surprise.) And Adrian Wilson did it the week of the Bills game in 2008, playing only six snaps but using one of the them to effectively end the Buffalo tenure of Bills quarterback Trent Edwards.

There will be no story like that today. Running back Adrian Peterson, who didn’t practice all week because of a neck issue, will be inactive for the Cardinals and won’t play. Again, not a shock, since he wasn’t out there, although he was officially questionable. It’ll make for an interesting running back rotation, since Kerwynn Williams is expected to start and is playing with bad ribs. How much Williams, how much D.J. Foster, how much Elijhaa Penny will be part of today’s storyline.

The full list of Cardinals’ inactives:

— QB Matt Barkley

— WR John Brown (toe)

— $LB Deone Bucannon (ankle)

— RB Adrian Peterson (neck)

— S Rudy Ford (knee)

— C Max Tuerk

— DL Corey Peters (ankle)

Tags: , ,

17 Responses to “Adrian Peterson will not play versus Rams”

1. By Corgon on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

On god, I hope we’ll not try to run right up in the gut again, with an injured KW. Otherwise it’ll be end before the first half.

2. By clssylssy on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

“Neck injury”…gee, that’s kinda vague. Do they know anything more specific? When did this happen? Was it in a game? practice? did he sleep on it wrong? Has it been checked out?
    This game is winnable but it will take a supreme effort with all hands on deck & I’m not seeing Williams even healthy as giving us the physicality we’ll need to have an effective running game. Seems like we were neck deep in RBs for about a minute and now we’re back to square one? Should never have cut Chris Johnson.
    I would rather BA say straight out that we would be without a player, than this “game time decision” stuff & then be pleasantly surprised!

3. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

Clssy —

RE: Peterson

You know he didn’t practice all week, right? Wrote about it multiple times. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/Adrian-Peterson-Ailing-DJ-Foster-On-Deck/a971e179-e425-4ef6-b412-dc37ce52e914

I won’t comment on the idea they have not yet checked it out.

4. By Dr. G. on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

Ya know PP21, I don’t think you’re allowed to tackle the WR before the QB throws the ball…penalty and a new set of downs. You are taught tackle after you let him catch the ball.

You can thank Kareem Martin for saving your ass with his INT.

5. By Darren Urban on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Peterson

I’ve said it before, but I do not understand your problem with Peterson. Please don’t say it’s no different than other players because it clearly is. Considering there is not a team in the league that wouldn’t take him as a starter right now, I just don’t get it.

6. By Crash21 on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

16:0 probably another blowout, smh.

7. By Dr. G. on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

Not such a good start today…gotta get our ship together…not giving up yet…

Are these guys well prepared by our coaches? The Rams can’t be this good…super lucky so far…..c’mon..!!

8. By Scott H on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

Well, 16-0 at the end of the first quarter. At this rate, the final score will be 64-0.

One quarter in and we’re already half-way to the same final score of their last game.

IF the Cards can somehow put the next score on the board and keep it from going over the edge, it could be interesting, it could be a game. We’ll see.

9. By clssylssy on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

Darren…
    Yes, of course I knew he didn’t practice & I read your article as well as heard BA say Peterson didn’t need to practice. It just seems very curious that normally when a core player is injured (or anybody) BA will say what happened and how what that is going to mean going forward for the team.
    So far it’s the first quarter and 16-0 in part bc Gabbart has thrown two costly interceptions bc we are wo a run game.
    I do have to give KW credit for some nice plays but have my doubts if he’s going to last through the game. Hopefully
    they’ll stick w the ground game & use Fitz & Ricky Seals-Jones as well as E. Penny more.

10. By Corgon on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

What did Fitz with the ball after the TD?

11. By georgiebird on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

To the HB:
    The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. As an old man, myself, I know the feeling.

12. By DZ on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

What the Hell, Cards finally take what the Rams give them AND Arians exploits it. Huge holes in the left side of the line.
    Worked well enough for a well played drive and score and then that’s it..
    Haven’t gone there since. When we do run it’s to the right side and all I see is that huge hole still there on the left.
    Guess if he can’t throw it every freaking down, its not worth controlling the game amd WINNING.
    AGHH!!!!!!
    12:49LEFT TO FIGURE IT OUT

13. By Eric G on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

Welp, that went as expected. Only the Cardinals could pull off that 3rd quarter punt field position switch. Just magnificent.

14. By Scott H on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

Last time we played, 33-0…..this time, 32-16.

Well, I’d have to say that means we played twice as well this time. And we still lost by 16. How’s that for perspective?

Hey, what did we expect? The Rams are completely legit. We are not. The Rams are very healthy. We are not. We’re down to our 3rd QB, our 4th or 5th RB…..no one else reduced to THAT is going to hang with the Rams, either!

I’m pretty sure we have now been eliminated from any playoff contention. Not that we were ever really IN playoff contention but at least now, the hopelessly hopeful can give it a rest. Heck, I heard Troy Aikman say today that there could very well be a 10-6 team in the NFC that doesn’t get in this year. The Cardinals are not even going to be 8-8. So…..that takes care of that.

Certainly not a great day for Gabbert, but…..it’s not like we’re losing because of him. Saying again, whatever we see from Gabbert this year helps us move forward after this year.

Nice day from Kerwyn Williams. But when you fall behind by too much, you have to go away from it. Not his fault. That said…..I’d be amazed if he could do that two games in a row.

And I’m glad we got Fitz his token catches so he can continue his streak. All he did was have a 100-yard,day with a score with more catches and yards than anyone else on the team. Man….just imagine how good he would be if we REALLY let him play! ( Yes, that is totally sarcsatic, lest anyone think I really mean that ).

Back to our QB situation…..I can never help looking around at certain veteran QB’s who could be available after this season ( because we know this organization’s tendency to go that route ). Early in the season, I thought Alex Smith might be making a real case for himself. But at this point, he is only making a case for Patrick Mahomes to be the Chiefs’ starter next year. No thanks!

15. By Scott H on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

Spelling error in previous post. Sarcsatic should have been sarcastic.

16. By clssylssy on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

Well, it wasn’t a blowout & I thought that there was more what resembled team work than we’ve showed previously with guys actually gutting it out. Special kudos to Kerwin Williams for giving us a ground game when it didn’t look like we were going to have one. The first quarter was a disaster but the recovery was nice where there was a glimmer of hope while it lasted. The Birdgangvwas in good voice and probably should get the game ball.
    Sad ending to what was suppose to be a better season.

17. By Dr. G. on Dec 3, 2017 | Reply

Darren ~ ~ It is always apparent that you are a PP fan in that you always point to his successes and rarely mention some of his costly errors such as today when he gave the Rams a 1st down on a blatant PI call….sorry to point to that.

In earlier posts, I have outlined numerous historical reasons to include reluctant tackling…he just seems to avoid serious contact when he could have heroic results…ala Fitz…as a blocker on a hard charging LB to help a play succeed…not loving it, but it’s a team thing.

If some did not harrang PP to be a “shut down”” I would not have those expectations. I cannot disagree with your assessment of my post..I expect better of his performance. I think he is much better than his effort sometimes demos. Be well…