Dansby, chasing history, and his drops

Posted by Darren Urban on December 6, 2017 – 12:38 pm

Karlos Dansby is still chasing help for his legacy, even if he felt he became a “legend” when he made his 20th career interception in San Francisco in early November. He is hyper-aware of all the sack and interception totals of the other fellows who comprise the 40-20 club in NFL history (40 sacks, 20 picks), and the linebacker would love to top all of them in both categories. It’s become harder as he gets older of course, and his place in 2018 is murky — Dansby will be a free agent after the season, and the Cardinals, with Deone Bucannon and Haason Reddick and a surging Josh Bynes (also an UFA-to-be), could very well look to build their ILB corps differently next season.

But this is the here and now. Dansby has 20 picks, but the argument can be made Dansby should have 23, because there were three other near-misses this season. The most recent was the most painful, a tipped pass against the Rams last weekend that looked tailor-made to be grabbed –until Los couldn’t hold on.

Dansby also could’ve had one against the Jaguars the week before (which would’ve been tough, but in this context, possible), and in the home game against the 49ers on Oct. 1 (In his hands, down the middle, in the fourth quarter). Those obviously would have buoyed his total.

What gets lost too is during his magnificent 2013 season with the Cardinals — a year Dansby should have earned that Pro Bowl berth he so desperately wants  —  there were missed picks then too. Dansby reminded everyone of that a couple of weeks ago on the Big Red Rage, which he co-hosts. Rookie safety Budda Baker was lamenting a dropped interception of his own, against Seattle in the Thursday night game.

“Budda, I’m going to make you feel a little bit better,” Dansby said. “In ’13, I dropped six. That’s why I said I can catch these guys (ahead of him). I know I can. I have confidence in what I am doing and how I am doing it. … Eventually, they are going to have to come to me, and they are going to have to come right to me.”

I’ll admit, I can’t remember six dropped picks from 2013. That’s a long time ago (Dansby, in 2013, had four interceptions, so 10 for a linebacker would’ve been … well, along with his 6 1/2 sacks, he would’ve been Defensive Player of the Year.) But let’s say he did have six and got them all, that’s nine more picks Dansby could have on his total.

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Dansby, chasing history, and his drops”

1. By Halagator on Dec 6, 2017 | Reply

I think Dansby has been a really solid linebacker for his entire career but I just don’t think he is a Hall of Famer. With no Pro Bowls, major hardware or All-Pro status to his name I just can’t see it.

2. By Erik on Dec 6, 2017 | Reply

I absolutely remember that year and I do remember Karlos dropping at least a handful.

In my opinion, that was the best Cardinals team of the Bruce Arians era. Mathis was a rookie and was straight up phenomenal. Los and DWash were balling and arguably the best linebacker duo in the nfl that year. The Cardinals finished 10-6, but it was a fluke year and they just missed the playoffs. They came on so strong over the 2nd half and ended the season beating the eventual super bowl champs, the seahawks. I still believe if they had made the playoffs that year, they would have went all the way. The defense was SO good, I think they had a better chance that year than the one where they went 13-3.

3. By Scott H on Dec 6, 2017 | Reply

Wait….if he is such a legend, then why am I hearing about all of these drops?

And when was the last time Karlos Dansby WASN’T a free agent after the season?

For the most part, I like Karlos Dansby but it sure does seem / sound like he is just chasing stats at this point. When you hear Fitz talk, you hear him express disappointment about not winning the game and some lament that the team is not where we all hoped they would be. And you hear that even right after he just had a 100-yard / TD game. With Dansby? Seems like it’s all about him and this legend he is trying to become.

He has been a very good / sometimes great player for the Cardinals during his first two stints here. This time around…..nothing special. He is another guy we need to move on from.

4. By Scott H on Dec 6, 2017 | Reply

Erik –

I share your opinion of that 2013 team. Once Palmer got the hang of the offense and settled down, the Cardinals started to look like that team that no one would have wanted to see in the playoffs. They had that feel to them. They were good. I’m not sure which defense was better, 2013 or 2014. In 2013, we had D Wash….in 2014, we had Cromartie. Would have been awesome if they could have played on the same defense. Then, we had Freeney in 2015…..just think of the defense that could be created by combining the best players from all of those years for ONE year!

5. By Corgon on Dec 6, 2017 | Reply

I remember. That was the time, when he started to work with Fitz after practices to hang on those balls. After that he had I think 2 TD after INTs. Maybe it’s time to ask Larry’s help again.

6. By clssylssy on Dec 6, 2017 | Reply

Scott…
    Just think about it, we had Daryl W & could have probably put that combo together this year, REAL CHEAP even if it was just for a try & we probably wouldn’t have been any worse off…just say’n, that would have been some real radical thinking outside the box!

7. By lacardinalsfan on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Is anos still here?

8. By Scott H on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

I’m laughing at the mis-spelling of Amos as anos…..

Anyone picking up on that?

9. By Erik on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

-clssylssy

I am on board with you. I still think it was SO stupid not to give Washington another chance. Look what Josh Gordon just did for the Browns last Sunday.

10. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Erik, Clssy —

RE: DWash

Want to know what you would have paid DWash for that chance. They talked about it with him. They didn’t just dump him.

(Also, no one else has signed him, so I’m not sure what that says either.)

11. By clssylssy on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Darren…
    He was still under contract but I would have probably given him league minimum with incentives and a chance to prove himself. Who knows, maybe he doesn’t even want to play football anymore so I don’t think we can conclude anything.
    It was just a random thought and no reason for you to be so defensive every time his name comes up. Obviously, we’re just shooting the breeze, kinda like saying, “I wonder what the team would have been like if Warner would have finished his contract out”…NO BIG DEAL Antonio Cromartie is not playing football either and, IMO, may have been an option…lol, he’s doing reality TV!

12. By JTDG on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

Putting all the good players on same team; (Talking AZ Cardinals)

Yeah, that is fun to think about. Aeneas Williams and Pat P as your CBs, with Simeon Rice and Chandler Jones coming off the edge.

But then I began to think about the oline. Is there a star studded oline ? I guess LT would be Lomas Brown. He was a probowler for the cards.
    After that, I guess Iupati had 2015. Nothing else after that. Leonard Davis was a stud for Dallas but not so much here. if you could put him at RG, that would work. Sendlien played center for a long time, cant think of one better.
    Just grasping at straws to get one great oline. The best I could come up with;
    LT – Lomas Brown
    LG – Mike Iupati (2015 version)
    C – Sendlien
    RG – L Davis
    RT – Levi Brown ?

13. By dkerry5242 on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Dansby will be another one and done with the Cardinals after this Season is over and rightly so as he really now shows that he is Old and Slow.
    Thanks for the earlier good years.

14. By Erik on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

I agree with what clssylssy said, in the end, we are just shooting the breeze. The Cardinals do have cap space though. Didn’t he want a couple million? Would have been worth it for one year, I think.

15. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Erik —

RE: Money

After three years off and the potential for a suspension, he wasn’t going to get more than the minimum from anyone.

16. By Scott H on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

No place for Luis Sharpe on that O-line? Or Dierdorf? I’m not sure how far back you wanted to go……but back in the day, Dierdorf was a beast. One of the best in the business.

And you put Lomas Brown ahead of Veldheer at his best? Not sure about that.

Good lord, if the best we can do at Center is Lyle Sendlein…..what does THAT say? Sendlein was a hard-working over-achiever but if he is the best we can come up with for a “star-studded” Cardinals O-line….that is pretty bad.

17. By Scott H on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Erik / clssy –

RE: D-wash

Hey, if the Patriots didn’t even bring you in to give you a shot…..

Honestly, I thought the Seahawks might give him a look. There was no downside to it.

18. By JTDG on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

Dierdorf was retired before AZ. I was only looking at AZ Cardinals.

Veldheer was never a pro bowler, Brown and Sharpe were. So Jared is out.

Brown had 7 pro bowls but 1 with the cards. Sharpe had 3 pro bowls all with cards. Brown had the better career, but you are probably right , Sharpe was the better cardinal.

But yeah, the only other pro bowl offensive lineman besides Sharpe and Brown for the AZ cardinals is Mike Iupati in 2015. Man that is pitiful isn’t it?

What is sad is 10 years prior to coming to AZ, the cards in 77-78 had 4 olineman as pro bowlers (Dierdorf, Dobler, Bob Young and center Tom Banks. )

Here is one for you, Would you take at Strong Safety Adrian Wilson or Tim McDonald?

McDonald had 3 pro bowls with AZ before the Niners showed him the money and he had 3 more.
    Adrian Wilson had 5 pro bowls all for the cards

19. By Scott H on Dec 9, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

I am loving this dialogue….

OK, I didn’t realize we were cutting off at the point of the line between St Loo and Arizona. BUT if not, we HAVE to have Dierdorf on that list! Yeah, Dobler, too. Man he was NASTY!! I regret that I really don’t even remember seeing them play. I was a lot younger then….wasn’t watching then the way I do now.

I get choosing Lomas Brown for how good he was. He just did little as a Cardinal because he wasn’t here that long. He WAS a part of that 1998 playoff team, though. That counts for something. Sharpe was definitely more of a Cardinal.

Yeah, bottom line, we just have SOOOOO little to pick from here…..and it is sad.

Man……McDonald or A-Dub……well, let’s agree there is no wrong answer here. Both TOP NOTCH players. I will go with A-Dub here. Maybe I just remember him better because he was more recent. But he seemed more dedicated to being a Cardinal and you have to love him for that. AND he was such an integral part of that 2008 defense that took us to heights we’ve never seen before.

OK, your turn for an either / or – Eric Swan or Darnell Dockett?

One more – Roger Werhli or Aeneas Williams? Sorry, went back to the St Loo days again. But I don’t think those players should be ineligible.

BTW, when did you become a fan? I think 1976 was the beginning for me.