Five Cards hold steady in Pro Bowl voting

Posted by Darren Urban on December 7, 2017 – 9:40 am

With a week left in the Pro Bowl voting, the Cardinals still have five players among the top 10 at their positions, and are still led by rookie Budda Baker’s second-place overall among special teams players (and Baker is also second among NFC vote-getters, with Philly’s Kamu Grugier-Hill atop the standings.) What is a little surprising is that Patrick Peterson is eighth among cornerbacks and only fifth among NFC cornerbacks. Peterson certainly is deserving of Pro Bowl recognition this season.

Besides Peterson and Baker, the other Cardinals in the hunt are:

— WR Larry Fitzgerald (fifth overall, third in NFC)
— FS Tyrann Mathieu (eighth overall, fourth in NFC)
— OLB Chandler Jones (fourth overall, first in NFC)

The fan vote is only part of the equation for Pro Bowl selections, of course. The vote of both the players and the coaches is heavily weighted, but it sure seems like the Cards will be in line for a handful of selections. Voting goes through Dec. 14 and you can vote by clicking here.

Tags: , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Five Cards hold steady in Pro Bowl voting”

1. By Matt on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Thats terrible! Pat P doesnt get enough respect!

2. By Scott H on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Damn, man…..looking at this pic, I have to ask – did Honey Badger get dressed in a dark closet or something? Did he not know how he looked before he took the field? The white sox thing…..it’s not working.

Oh, my…..I guess we’re back to the days of needing to get excited about some of our guys going to the Pro Bowl. I remember those days. I just liked the days of being excited about our TEAM going to the playoffs better.

3. By jeffcardinalfan on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

baker, jones and larry-yes

hb and pp-no

hb is getting fan votes cause fans like him-certainly not for his play on the field

pp is getting votes cause a lot of fans don’t really understand the game. pp has had several lapses mentally this year, shies away from tackling and does little(evidently) to make sure other dbs no their assignments

4. By patrick on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

I agree P2 has never been given the respect he deserves, definately not in this year’s voting.

Who’s decides which full games replays are put on youtube to watch?
    I watched both packers playoff games and I think the eagles game as well.
    Also, the cardinals super bowl as painful as it was.
    Any chance for the 90’s cowboys playoff game?

5. By Darren Urban on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Patrick —

RE: YouTube games

Those decisions are made by the NFL, not the teams.

6. By Halagator on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

jeffcardinalfan –

Re: PP

I would agree that HB is not playing like he did in 2015 and probably not playing at a Pro Bowl level right now. But to say that Pat P is not playing at a Pro Bowl level is ridiculous.

He routinely shuts down every teams top receiver. Look at the stats and you can easily see that. His job is not to be a tackling machine…that’s what linebackers and safeties are for.

Deion Sanders is in the Hall of Fame because of his elite coverage skills, not because of his tackling. And yes every DB is going to get torched once and a while, all the good ones do get beat. What makes them great is not getting beat on a regular basis.

7. By Scott H on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

Above all else, doesn’t the fact that THE top vote getter in the NFC happens to be a linebacker who got to stand in as a kicker for some of ONE game tell us all something about the validity of this whole thing??? Gimme a break. THAT is ridiculous. Did it make for some memorable moments and some great highlights? Yeah, OK. But considering this guy is basically un-known as a LB…..again, it’s ridiculous.

It amazes me that Budda Baker is the 2nd top vote getter in the NFC, considering he is a rookie. BUT at least he is a full time player who HAS played very well this year. I’m just amazed / glad that people have noticed.

The one Cardinals player on this list that doesn’t really make sense is the Honey Badger, and I’m really sorry to say that ( and I ain’t the only one saying it ). I mean, if you could have told me in August that he would be getting so many votes in December for the Pro Bowl, I would have been thrilled to hear it. Because that would mean that he had stayed healthy and probably got his old form back. And he HAS stayed healthy. But though the effort seems to have been there, the usual level of disruptiveness that he causes really has not.

But he seems to have had his best games more recently, so….with 4 to go, maybe his best is yet to come.

8. By georgiebird on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

PP is where he belongs – 5th among NFC cb and 8th overall. The argument goes that no one throws against PP- that doesn’t necessarily make him great. Maybe, no one throws against PP because there are so many other easy marks in the Cards’ defense. And when teams get around to throwing PP’s way, PP has had his bad moments. And we all know that PP is one of the worst tacklers in all of the NFL.
    I know that PP is one of our shining stars as is Chandler Jones. But there are a lot of other young corners making their name now as PP did a few years ago.
    So, no one is trying to say that PP is a bad corner, I think the voters are trying to say that other corners just have a better all around game than PP.

9. By D on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

The commissioner getting an extension is a joke. Owners must want a fall guy for the gradual decline of the game.

10. By Dr. G. on Dec 7, 2017 | Reply

jtdg ~ ~ Re: Not high on Josh McDaniels for HC in 2018??

If Josh and Brady are on the same page, I don’t see that argument as valid. They surely help one another.

Belichick is the one who determines what works…and if he likes Josh, that should be good enough. I would take Belichick’s no-nonsense, no bs approach right now…and I think McDaniels is learning from him…hoping the Cardinals place him in strong consideration for our next HC. Thinking Josh has 5 SB Rings?

WE SERIOUSLY NEED A CHANGE…

If BA returns in 2018, it will be telling about the FO…the Fans are clamoring…they’re not wrong. …be well

11. By Hammy on Dec 8, 2017 | Reply

It really is a shame that Patrick Peterson is 8th among total Cornerbacks and 5th in the NFC at that. Why is this even a discussion? All he does is shut down his opposition! His numbers are down because no one wants to throw his way! He is constantly on the number 1 receiver of each team that he faces! One of the most consistent corners in coverage in the entire league.

12. By Eric G on Dec 8, 2017 | Reply

Wow, the hate for PP is surprising. Where would the Cards even be without him? He is consistently rated among the top 3 CBs in the league every week and is the #1 rated CB right now on most lists. Are you people freaking kidding me? His job is to shut down the other team’s #1 receiver, which he does.

My god you are a bunch of naysayers. The Cards could win the Superbowl (not this year of course) and you would have something negative to say about it. I mean really, we are lucky to have PP and I hope he remains a Cardinal for his entire career, but most of all that we finally get him some help on the other side next year.

13. By JTDG on Dec 8, 2017 | Reply

Dr G,

I put Josh McDaniels on my list of 5 because he has that credibility, especially knowing the Patriots way.

My question of him would be he had a head coaching job that flopped. Why? Is he a product of Brady or was he put in a bad situation?

Face it, Billechek was fired by the Browns. Good coaches get fired from time to time. So, is that the case of McDaniels? A good coach in a bad situation?

I guess if I was interviewing him, I would research everything I could and watch every game when he was a head coach, and then ask him why he thinks he didn’t succeed. His answer could be telling.

14. By clssylssy on Dec 8, 2017 | Reply

Re: P Peterson
    I think Peterson is a different kind of Corner than most fans are use to; he is almost too chill & quietly intimidating b/c players recognize his athleticism and skill & he hasn’t, for the most part, had to be the rough ‘n tumble physical player many fans believe an elite Corner needs to be. Like most players, he’s not perfect but he does his job better than he gets credit for. He’s a good guy,consistent, who sometimes comes off as aloof b/c he’s not trash talking & making noise, which young fans equate with self confidence & star power.
    Players, coaches, coordinators view him more like “silent but deadly”, who, kinda like Fitz, let’s his game speak for him, more so in the last few years than when he first came into the league.

15. By JTDG on Dec 8, 2017 | Reply

On another subject;

cards62 has mentioned Billy Price several times He is a Center/Guard for the Ohio St Buckeyes.

I for one, totally agree that this guy could be 2018’s version of Pat Elflien. I would say he will be there when the cards pick in round 2.

The bigger question is, will we have a 2nd rounder , or will we need to trade up for that QB?

Where are the biggest needs for this team next year after QB?
    The oline has been horrible, but so has the receivers.

Personally on defense, I would wait for Sherman to be released and pair him with Pat P, resign Bynes, release Bucannon and play Bynes and Reddick inside, release badger, resign Tramon Williams for the slot, and look to add another cheaper vet to the dline. All the moves would net the same cap space as now, costing nothing.

Then on offense, look for landing one of the big three QBs. I am intrigued with Allen, and love Darnald. Rosen is solid also, and may be the most ready to play.
    Then you have to consider Palmer. If he and Fitz are back, in round 2, I am drafting Billy Price, and looking at a Tackle/guard in round 3, resigning Boone , releasing Veldheer and Iupati and signing a pair of receivers like Sammy Watkins, Paul Richardson, Mike Wallace or Allen Robinson to go with Fitz.

The cap works and you have a team that has a shot to compete.

16. By John S. on Dec 10, 2017 | Reply

When it comes to Patrick Peterson, hopefully the players and coaches voting will give him more weight than the current fan numbers. A lot of votes from fans can well be popularity slanted; those fans looking at interception counts, as well as votes going to backfield divas getting more face time that love to talk to the cameras. They don’t see that Patrick is avoided by QB’s and opposing coaches as much as possible, which shows his true value and all-pro worthiness… I would hope those actually ‘on the field’ during games that vote will give him his due.
    Same for Fitz in a way, and does his job better than most any other receiver out there; just doesn’t make as much media noise so to say…