Keim: No IR-return candidates and Gabbert desire

Posted by Darren Urban on December 11, 2017 – 8:15 am

Long snapper Aaron Brewer should be ready to return to the active roster this week, coming off of injured reserve. But, as the Cardinals have been saying for a while. GM Steve Keim emphasized Monday: That other available IR-to-return spot very well could go unused.

“You have to have someone healthy enough to return,” Keim said during an appearance on the “Doug and Wolf” show on Arizona Sports 98.7. “At this point, I don’t see any guys coming back for sure.”

But what about David Johnson? Is keeping the star running back, coming back from a bad wrist, more about saving him for 2018? Keim said no.

“He gets paid to play football,” Keim said, adding that if Johnson was healthy and was cleared by the doctors, he should return to the field. “But if there are any gray areas, I don’t know why you’d want to risk it.”

Johnson has been working on conditioning, but hasn’t returned to practice — obviously, since the clock would start in that case.

— There were a couple of free-agents-to-be Keim talked about. One was quarterback Blaine Gabbert. “I don’t think there is any question we would like to have Blaine back,” Keim said, although he did not say in what capacity. Keim said it was up to Gabbert how much the QB can improve, although I don’t think there is any question the Cardinals will continue to search for a long-term answer at the position.

Keim also praised 34-year-old CB Tramon Williams, also a potential FA. He was asked if Williams was someone the Cards wanted to bring back. Keim went big-picture with his answer, not talking necessarily about Williams directly but saying that’s part of the daily process right now, talking with players about potential extensions and is something the Cards will be involved in this week. (I think it makes sense to consider bringing back Williams, although the age will be a factor in talks.)

Keim called Williams a “true pro,” noting that while he might have lost a step over the years, his anticipation and instincts are “phenomenal.”

— As for Gabbert, Keim praised the QB’s ability to bounce back after something has gone wrong. He did note Gabbert’s throws tend to get a little high when he has to go through his progressions or if he is throwing outside the numbers.

— Keim also said there was plenty of blame for the eight sacks, naming not only the offensive line but blitz pick-up by the running backs, Gabbert’s failure to get rid of the ball a time or two and even the receivers’ inability to get open sometimes.

— A general note on accuracy: Keim said it is something that can be improved a little bit, but mostly it’s innate — “You have it or you don’t” he said. (P.S. I agree with this. Accuracy can’t be learned, IMO.)

— There was praise for linebacker Josh Bynes “He’s very very consistent, savvy and physical,” Keim said. “To come in late in process like that, I’m extremely proud of the way he’s played.” There was also praise for defensive linemen Olsen Pierre, Frostee Rucker and of course Chandler Jones. “He’s been a dominant force all year,” Keim said

— Finally, there was a word on Larry Fitzgerald becoming third all-time in receiving yards in the NFL. “For me, it’s just been an honor to work with him,” Keim said. “Knowing he will retire as a Cardinal gives me a special feeling.” (P.S. II We don’t know when Fitz is retiring yet.)

Tags: , , , , ,

55 Responses to “Keim: No IR-return candidates and Gabbert desire”

1. By joe holst on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

I disagreed with him all year but he is a great GM, I really don’t think Blain Gabbert is worth keeping they aren’t scoring any touchdowns.

2. By JTDG on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Notes from the game;

First, in warm ups, I noticed Chandler Jones showing an I love you symbol to someone. I turn around and 3 rows behind me, and a little to my left was sitting the baddest man on the planet, Jon Jones. Pretty cool.

Darren, Fitz tackled someone after the game on the sidelines. Do you know who the victim was?

Tramon Williams is playing out of this world and should be resigned. At 35 next year, even if you find someone younger, he could be the CB2 or CB3. He had one pick, should have had a second, and delivered a huge hit at the end of the game to jar a ball lose from a TE.

Nkemdiche was the number 1 pick and Olsen Pierre went undrafted. It is so clear Pierre has become the much better player.

The Sacks; I agree with the fact that some were on the oline , but many were on the receivers. Gabbert knew he couldn’t turn over the ball in a game like this, and receivers were not getting any separation. One sack happened when Fitz was open on a crossing but a LB popped up right in the throwing lane. Gabbert held on and was sacked. People yelled for Gabbert to throw the ball but it was a smart move cuz the LB would have had a pick.

The patterns the receivers were running were predictable as, if the Titans knew where the cards receivers were going on every play.

Kerwin Williams; This kid is tough and is showing he could back up David Johnson next year. Lots of heart.

I don’t know if Penny had a catch this year, so when he came out of the backfield, no one covered him. That was a big gainer and smart play call.

Fitz was so wide open for the TD. If Gabbert just threw it as a jump ball, it was a td, since the DBs were no where near. Jaron Brown was wide open down the middle of the field and Gabbert missed him.

I guess I am not sure what Keim is thinking. If Palmer returns, I see no need for Gabbert. Especially if the plan is to draft a QB high. Palmer is the guy in 2018, and the rookie takes over in 2019. I am starting to wonder if Palmer is returning.

My favorite play of the game;
    It was a short run up the middle, but what I loved was Jaron Brown. He was motioned in behind the tackle. Jaron then looks at safety or LB across the line and points at him and then motions to say, “come get some” and then fired off the ball to make the block. Love that fire.

Good win for the cards, as the Titans should have come in and ran all over this defense, but they rose up and stopped that huge line, 2 big backs and Marriotta. That was good to see.

3. By JTDG on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

” A general note on accuracy: Keim said it is something that can be improved a little bit, but mostly it’s innate — “You have it or you don’t” he said. (P.S. I agree with this. Accuracy can’t be learned, IMO.)”

I completely agree.

So, why was Logan Thomas drafted ?? His college tape showed a very inaccurate thrower, yet Keim drafted him, knowing it could not be fixed?? Did he just want to waste a pick?

Let’s hope he remembers this in the 2018 draft.

4. By Andy Kw on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

I would be very happy with a Tramon Williams extension. He provides the Cardinals with a short-term answer until they find and groom his long-term replacement

5. By CARDS62 on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Just win baby!!!

We have played some very good defenses last few weeks and while I would like the offense to look better, I am not upset. Special teams also made a heads up play and great tackle on the fake punt.

We all know our weaknesses on offense right now so knowing that I really liked the play calling in the second half. Ran the ball better in the second half. Good job of coaching and we have to admit our defense is also playing well.

Sometimes Gabbert did not have a prayer, and few times maybe he should have released the ball, but I really like how he took care of the ball this game with no turnovers. Our defense is playing well and we were in the game all day so this was smart football. Once again I am okay with resigning him and moving on from Carson to free up dollars as long as we draft a QB with our first draft pick.

Chandler Jones the last 2 weeks has just been amazing and so much fun to watch. Pierre playing well, T. Williams playing well. I have no clue none at all why this Bynes stud was not playing more earlier in the season. I think I remember some comments on our blog here in the preseason that he looked good.

GeorgieBird we just might have found a linebacker you can be proud of, and you were right about P Peterson tackle effort or total lack of tackle effort on D. Henry touchdown run. Henry was even going sideways so all he had to do was lower his shoulder and go in low and wrap up. Honey Badger and I believe one other Cardinal was in the area to also lend support if PP would have slowed him down.

Next 3 weeks will be interesting as we play lesser defenses, Seattle beat up, so hopefully our oline and offense will play well.

Kirk Cousins is not bad and Russell Wilson we all know always kills us so will also be interesting to see if defense keeps up their very fine work.

Seattle comes to Jacksonville and they get to play a late game, and every trip we make to the east coast this year we always get the early game. Thanks a lot NFL.

Sorry to see Wentz is injured. Is it bad luck or did the Rams defense take out another QB?

Seattle defense lost their cool and looked very unprofessional at the end of the Jacksonville Game.

Go Cards beat Washington!

6. By georgiebird on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Good article. I think that Keim is getting a little more realistic in his after game assessments.
    Bottom line- we all know that the NFL players are the greatest players in the world. We are not attempting to downgrade anyone but, instead, we are trying to get that little edge on other teams with proper player evaluation.
    On Josh Bynes- having followed the Cardinals for nearly 60 years, Bynes is one of the better LBs the Cards have ever had- that also has to do with the fact that there haven’t been that many real good ones along the way. Bynes is physical, fast and plays the pass and run well. Bynes is a commodity that the Cards can’t seem to develop. I’d sign Bynes long term in a heartbeat.

7. By georgiebird on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

As the Bengals are ready to blow it up- I think the Cards should take a run at Andy Dalton. Dalton is a tough kid who can use a change of scenery. I’m not saying that Dalton is the greatest but getting out of Cincy could be a big plus. And he has red hair- so no John Skelton jokes.

8. By Eric G on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Well, with that win, the Cards pretty much guaranteed that they will not be able to draft Josh Allen without given up a first rounder in 2019 to trade up. Josh Allen will be gone by #8 and the Cards (with a win coming against the Giants) pretty much guaranteed that they will draft 12-16. They aren’t making the Playoffs this year, so the win screwed the future. Great.

The Cards need a QB, CB and OL desperately in the draft. With QB off the table, let’s discuss what WR Keim and Co. will draft in the first round.

9. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

“Accuracy can’t be learned ”

Gabbert sacked what, 8 times? One was potentially devastating. Shaky OL, shaky RB blocking.

6 or 7 of his passes were 1-2 feet long, or high, or too little arc. Rest of his passes were on the money. So, should we dismiss 70% accuracy and focus only on the 30% of misses? Broad strokes. I recall Warner way off early on, only to become the gloved one who went 29-30 or so. Didn’t Gabbert go 12 of 14 at one point earlier?

Gabbert reminds of Palmer, who threw INTs in batches his first half season, then it changed overnight… until Palmer got unrelenting pressure in some games. Kinda what happened to Gabbert. Gabbert may surprise and duplicate his improvement.

Keim is right: Gabbert has displayed a huge heart. A leader with guts sometimes hard to come by… he’s got po.

Tramon Bethea Baker Jones stood out among a D that finally played a full game to its potential. Bravo. But my game ball to Gabbert, who got clocked over and over but no turnovers.

10. By Jon on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

The fact that Tramon Williams wasn’t the day one CB2 starter is just completely inexplicable. Its not the first time we’ve had a clearly more talented player riding the pine, but it is possibly the most egregious example.

11. By Steve F drumm on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Darren: With the expected availability of a few starting QB’s expected to hit free agency after this season do you think it’s more likely that the Cards go that route to find a starter versus taking a QB high in the draft? By the way Darren, I think OU QB and Heisman winner Baker Mayfield has the swagger and toughness Arians loves, he could be a good pick for us.

12. By Darren Urban on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Steve F —

RE: QB

To be honest, I do not know. Where the Cardinals will likely be picking in the draft, the right QB might not be there.

13. By clssylssy on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

I really enjoyed the interview w Josh Bynes & hope the Cards will offer him a nice contract for next season as he certainly has contributed to the success our defense has had & would provide a solid piece for next seasons defense. He has the skill set and toughness we’ve needed. Unfortunately, when we manage to find a valuable veteran like Byrnes (and Swearinger) Keon has let them go leaving a huge hole In the defense & we’re back to square one. Defenses win Championships & as we have seen in recent weeks, can win games even without a legit offense.
    Washington is going to be a tough game & the Cards historically haven’t done well traveling east or playing in the cold. After watching teams play in blizzard conditions last weekend, I have to wonder how the team will prepare for freezing conditions that will effect not only the players ability to withstand the cold and maintain focus but also how the ball travels etc.

14. By D on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert finishes the game with no turnovers and everyone believes he is the next savior. To me he is an upgrade over Staton with accuracy but only as a game manager backup. Similar to J. McCown but younger. He doesn’t erase the need to draft a QB high in the Spring.
    C. Jones is a beast, having this production without Golden playing shows you he is an elite player.
    I believe I read where Fitz has more receptions and yardage than the total of all other WRs that have played this year for AZ. Imagine if Larry had a Big Ben as his QB his entire career, he would have passed Rice by now without having to play 20yrs. Just give him a gold jacket now!

Hard to imagine that Oline getting worse but it will after these recent injuries. You would think a GM who played Oline would eventually get it right on player evaluations.
    Why isn’t J. Bynes extended yet for 2018?. Same for T. Williams.

15. By Kevin S Mesa on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Adam Smith —

I don’t pretend to be a QB guru, but the problem with the Gabbert inaccuracy is that he missed wide-open guys, several times.

We don’t have that many wide-open guys to begin with. To overthrow them when we do get them is a problem.

The Palmer INT’s in the first half of the first year were explained many times by Arians. Many of those were on the receivers — the offense is based on Palmer throwing to a spot, often before the receiver has even turned around. If the receiver turns the wrong way, the pass looks wildly inaccurate, as if Palmer was throwing to the defender. That’s not Palmer’s fault, though. That was the receivers still needing time to learn and understand the offense.

I don’t disagree that pressure will cause some inaccuracy, but some of Gabbert’s misses were just that — misses.

16. By Dr. G. on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

MitchAZ ~(( “””your comment ~ ~ Patrick Peterson was switched over to Decker and Decker promptly registered a 29 yard reception off Peterson who quit on the play to complain to the refs that Decker pushed him off. Mathieu and Peterson continue to have their ups and downs in various ways and are recently being outshined by Budda Baker and Tramon Williams respectively. Peterson’s tackling reluctance and total abandonment of tackling fundamentals were on full display once again in this game. Mathieu is a little more willing to tackle, but most of his efforts look tentative and not Honey Badger-like.”””))

I posted some of that yesterday.

Mitch – jtdg – et al… UNTOUCHABLES? Obviously, there are many players who will return for 2018, but in your opinion, are there ANY KEY players that are just untouchable for you? Please list them. I see Fitz as the only one if he decides to play. Some will say that just about any team would welcome PP, but with his voracious contract, I’m dubious. Would you take a decent deal for him to liquidate some cap room & is he really worth the $$$ as he plays?

And, same question for TMathieu? Thanks Gents

17. By Dr. G. on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Gents::: I forgot ~~CJones is untouchable with Fitz…surely!!

18. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Kevin –

Don’t disagree at all. Just longer perspective in mind. BA seems to agree with me fwiw. When asked post game about accuracy, he said Gabbert was getting killed, defended him. Not hard to see why. But agree, Gabbert is not there, many on here think he never will be, I’m more open to still seeing what he can do. He’s better’n all we’ve had journey here except Warner and Palmer imo…and we have no sure bet coming as far as I know… He’s proven we can win with him with a second string line, 3rd string RB while getting his brains beat in…

19. By JTDG on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

20. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: tackle

I will have to check.

21. By El Gallo on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

– OL
    Veldheer LT: out for season. Watford G/OL: out till further notice.
    Time to see if Boehm and Holden can cut the mustard this time around.
    Let’s see if they can make it out of practice and start at game time. Arians alluded to possibly having to resort to getting someone off the streets.. At this late in the season, oh man..

That’s not a good look if we can’t count on our own guys that our GM picked and that our Coaches developed. Whatever happens and how they perform will be telling.

–Respectfully, long time fan here

22. By JTDG on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Eric G,

If it takes the 2018 and 2019 1st round draft picks to land a QB, I am OK with that.

Every game I am thinking when I got in my seat, I don’t care if they win. But as the game starts and Titan fans start cheering “Titan up” , I just want the cards to whip them.

I understand the draft thing, but man, I would rather come out of this year winning.

That also is counter productive to my believe that a new coach and GM should be hired. More wins = no changes.

But, when you go to the game, it is so much better winning and not hearing the other teams fans chanting something stupid.

23. By Richard S on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

With the injuries on the O-line it’s good to have Gabbert taking the snaps instead of Palmer as it looks like he can survive getting sacked 8 times. I’m not sure Palmer could take that abuse. The fake punt the Titans ran was a total insult to the Cardinals, so it was good to see them come up short on the attempt and see the Cards get points out of it.

24. By Richard S on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Garopolo didn’t get any TD’s in his first Niner appearance either but he did lead his team to a victory in that week and no one’s talking about getting rid of Garopolo out in the Bay Area, instead they are hailing him as the savior.

25. By Charley Shurtz on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert has had no game as bad as Palmers worst, has played only three games, had no interceptions this past game and has two of three wins, he at least seems to be regulary better than Stanton and I thin stillhas the potential to be a number one, hopefully the next three games will show us what to actually do, remeber no Cards qb this years has done well consitently mostly because of the line same as last year

26. By Scott H on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

OK. I really don’t get saying that we want to have Blaine back but can’t say in what capacity. Because I don’t think Gabbert is sticking around here unless it is in the capacity of competing for the starting QB job. Again, I ask – why is he sticking around here for any less than that?

I agree with Darren that a legit QB of the future has to be drafted. Period. No question.

And there is no way that Gabbert’s play should have him penciled in as the starter for next year.

But Gabbert is showing that he can play and looks capable of being a starter somewhere in the NFL going forward.

So…..again, I don’t see Gabbert sticking around here if he is not sticking around for a legit chance to be our 2018 starter.

27. By Scott H on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Kevin –

Respectfully, I’d have to say I remember more than a few throws from Palmer that just made you go WTF?? WHERE was that pass supposed to go? WHO was he throwing to on that play?? Yes, I’ve heard the explanations that it wasn’t always on him. But…..to say it was always someone else’s fault when it was Palmer but always on the QB when it’s someone else…..I don’t buy it. Too easy.

28. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Joe Hoist,

How you can call Keim “A GREAT GM” is beyond me (and, probably most fams)!!
    JTDG and others have documented his failings several times in FA and the draft.
    The sooner Mr. Bidwill shows him the door, the better chance the Cards have to make the playoffs.

29. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Dec 11, 2017 | Reply

Eric G,

You’re correct in the Cards’ draft position (low to mid-teems).
    I thought, a few weeks ago, that Keim might package several draft picks (and, maybe a player or two) to move way up and select a QBotF in the draft.
    However, in reflecting on his past draft decisions, that doesn’t seem likely. So, we’ll probably be treated to another fourth or fifth round flier, which won’t pan out.

30. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Wouldn’t it just be our luck, the way this year has gone, that of ALL the players we had go on IR, the ONE we might get back is our long snapper.

It’s NOT been our year.

31. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Getting in late on this one but in regard to recent discussions about PP getting in some plays on offense…..frankly, I’d rather see him spending more time working on his tackling instead. He’s a defensive player. He should be working harder on all facets of his primary job description before he becomes a gimmick on offense.

Speaking of tackling, I had a chance to see the Aeneas Williams Football Life episode last night and THAT was a guy who could tackle. What a man he was/ is. On the field and off, what a man. Great episode. One thing is for sure – you ain’t gonna see any of Aeneas Williams on Michael Irvin’s highlight video. Because Aeneas nailed him down every time they played against each other.

It was bittersweet to see him go on to win a SB with another team but…..it was hard to not be happy for him when he did. He gave all he had to the Cardinals for most of his career. He just never had enough of a team around him to get to that promised land.

32. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Aeneas

Unfortunately, Aeneas did not win a Super Bowl with anyone. The Rams lost to the Patriots.

33. By Halagator on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert has shown flashes for sure but like I have said in my previous posts he is no where near as good as Palmer. If possible I would resign Gabbert as the back up and hope Palmer plays one more year, Draft a QB for the future to learn and go from there.

If Palmer retires, you still have Gabbert signed or you could try and lure a good FA QB to take over as starter.

We still need figure out the O-line…but then again its been kind of hard with all the injuries. Its been a bad luck year for the whole NFL losing so much star power to injury.

Washington is a winnable game if we don’t turn the ball over and play smart like we did against the Titans. Would be nice to see an east coast win…They are few and far between for the franchise.

34. By clssylssy on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

All QBs get pressure and BG’s big selling point has been his mobility and physicality. However, that has also proved to be a liability when he doesn’t trust the guys around him and tries to immediately use his legs to try to make splashy plays. He can’t hit the side of a barn under pressure, let alone on the run; he doesn’t seem to stay calm under pressure, which by now after 6-7 years in the league (even on “****ty” teams) he is not going to “learn” anymore than how to be an accurate passer. As I read some place else, he is a “thrower”, not a “passer”.and I suspect the reason Keim is so interested in him is because he’s readily available. Can we get a look at Barkley in these last games? Anybody else? I don’t think fans appreciated the fact that Palmer and Stanton, could take a physical pounding and still get up and make good decisions. The way the injuries are stacking up, I am glad we have BG, but don’t think he has a role in the Card’s future, if we plan to get any better. If nothing else, this season has showed us the importance of having a good backup QB (or two) waiting in the wings!
    We still are supposedly not eliminated from playoffs and have found new motivation now that players are looking towards next season’s employment and want to look good on tape–really speaks to the miserable job by management these past two years when players are more interested in getting a job elsewhere than making the playoffs here!
    This game against Washington is going to be brutal and I suspect are strength will come from our rookies and Fitz. Just hope Gabbert remembers Fitz is out there & old reliable.

35. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

I am a little lost with some of the people defending Gabbert.

What is the end game? Are you just stating he has done a good job or something more?

Do you want the cards to release Palmer in 2018 and have Gabbert start? Is he your QB of the future? I’m not sure where the Gabbert backers are wanting this to go.

Enlighten me.

I, for one, think if Palmer retires, Gabbert could be the guy for 8, 10, 16 games till a rookie is ready. But in no way do I NOT take a round 1 QB and roll with Gabbert.

Personally, I would like to release Palmer and free up 14 million in cap room and bring Blaine back and draft a QB in round 1 (trading our 1st this year and 2019 1st to move up to land one of the big 3). I would draft a couple of Olineman and sign a receiver or two.

I would let Gabbert take the hits as the line is gelling and the receivers are finding their way, then when I feel it is time, roll out our QB of the future.

That is how I see Gabbert. A stop gap to free up cap room and get a rookie ready.

36. By CARDS62 on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

QB discussion – I think all fans are saying we have to take a QB with our first pick in the draft. With that premise and the fact we do not want to throw him to the Wolves and we need to improve our OL first the discussion turns to a starter for next year until our rookie is ready.

I wanted Palmer here because he was our best available option at the time and Scott H is correct in that Palmer has always and will always throw WTF passes. Palmer also did this with the Bengals and Raiders.My point is Palmer is too expensive compared to Gabbert and what you get out of both or them. With our O line our QBs are in a very risky line of work. I agree Palmer and Stanton are tough, but so is Gabbert. Go back and watch the Titan linebacker blow him up straight up with a running start. Man I felt that hit on my couch, and did not want to get up for another bag of chips for 5 minutes or so.

I see Gabbert now as a younger less expensive Palmer so my GM advice is we extend him and tell him he is the starter and it is his job to lose and he gets starter snaps all preseason. Hopefully Palmer retires but if not we trade him for what ever we can get. Remember on Gabbert that we have played some very good defenses with a WR corps and OL corps that is very subpar.

I just do not know if Palmer required all this money to play or not, but he is like the highest or second highest paid player in the NFL for 2017 and he is getting a boat load of money in 2018, but my friends we have so many needs and I think the money is better spent on defense, special teams, and WR for us to win our division and push for the Super Bowl.

We have to blow up our WR corps besides Larry and hopefully we can find WRs in free agency that will cost us, and we need improvements and luck with health on our OL. We also need better and more consistent coaching and next year with some health I see us right there winning our division or being a wild card team. David Johnson is going to be very fresh and any QB at any price can stick the ball in his belly 350 + times.

GO Cards!

37. By Halagator on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

JTDG

I don’t disagree with you at all. Gabbert is at best a stop gap QB. I think my ideal scenario would be we bring Palmer back with a reduced 2018 salary if its possible. A team friendly deal that would allow us to make playoffs and take a run at the big prize while being able to sign some depth with that extra cash.

And your idea of trading up to get a first round talent QB is the way to go. Big deal if we sacrifice a 2018 first rounder to get a stud QB of the future.

I don’t think we need whole sale changes to make this happen. I also agree I would rather see the team finish 9-7 vs losing to move a couple spots up in the draft. There is always a team drafting in the top 3 that is willing to make a deal,

38. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Super Bowl:

Aeneas, Fitz.. no ring, but getting to SB and playing for it, beats never having appeared.. Same for Marino…he lost but had his shot. of course, against The Great One. Even as a fan, we lost but damn proud of the team that came 1 play short…

39. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Dr G,

Sorry, I missed your question.

First, I would have to define Untouchable.

Pat P;
    Would I trade PP for the Browns two first round picks? Absolutely. You land your QB, and then can go to work on that Oline.

Unless I am getting a deal like that, I would say Pat P is pretty much untouchable.

David Johnson;
    Again, if I am offered a first and second rounder, maybe. But it would take a huge deal to pry DJ from me.

Chandler Jones;
    His contract makes him untouchable, but so does his play. We have needed a pass rusher like Jones for years and years. He would go nowhere.

Larry Fitzgerald;
    Goes without saying

Budda Baker
    Would you say Budda is a first round talent? Therefore, untouchable? No, but a lot more than a 2nd rounder.

I don’t know if I would put anyone else in that category.

40. By clssylssy on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

JTDG, Halagator, Dr G,others…
    Seriously? You would give up solid players (the known) to trust SK to gamble more picks away? And why do we need for players to give the organization “team friendly” deals when this organization has not demonstrated good judgement in writing smart contracts or signing free agents?
    In any other business employees get paid for their accomplishments & contributions and sometimes value includes intangibles. Getting a rookie QB up to speed in learning the offense as well as mentoring how to lead men is as valuable as passing the ball or reading defenses, and, assuming we will be working with our current staff, it seems BA has a fairly long list of things not in his job description. Just seems to be a lot of unknowns at this point or do you guys know something you would like to share?
    I really don’t feel like giving up anymore of our assets for SK to roll the dice with.

41. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Correction on Aeneas Williams and the SB

Yes, my bad. I knew that, just flubbed the post.

42. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Another stop-gap QB

Well…..think about it – hasn’t that been the “answer” more often than not with this organization in recent decades? Yeah, it has. Unfortunately, there isn’t always gonna be a Kurt Warner or even a Carson Palmer available. More often than not, you end up with a Dave Kreig or a Steve Beurlein. Or a Jay Shroeder. Or a Boomer Esiason. Or a Chris Chandler. Or….never mind, you get the point.

Next season just seems so up in the air at QB for this team. Bottom line, they need to find their guy in the draft – something they haven’t even come close to in going on 20 years. Not encouraging. IF Palmer wants to play for another year, hey, that’s fine. I won’t call Palmer a stop gap but I will say he would be little more than a bridge QB in 2018. We could certainly do worse.

Ya know what? I’ll leave it at this – whatever QB will provide the most encouragement for Fitz to play again in 2018, he’s our guy! Then, the QB of the future can take over in 2019, as you say.

43. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

WARNING – this post may contain extreme sarcasm. Viewer discretion is advised. And possibly a vomit bag.

So, you think we should re-sign a 35-year old Tramon Williams to be in the mix for next year? Really, dude? With Brandon Williams waiting in the wings? And with Justin Bethel having another year of experience under his belt? Seriously? I just don’t get you sometimes, man….

OK, end of sarcasm. Hey, I agree. As ridiculous as it may sound, we probably SHOULD keep Williams ( TRAMON, not Brandon ) around for 2018. Why not? The whole failed Justin Bethel experiment is a black eye on this organization’s talent evaluation that is not going to fade from memory any time soon.

Robert Nkemdiche is another. I look forward to another year of him blowing up everything he sees during training camp and pre-season and then going into hibernation come September. Heck, maybe he should be playing for the Bears, ya know? They’re SUPPOSED to hibernate.

44. By Dr. G. on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

CLSSY – You clearly misunderstand my previous post. I merely asked if we really had some untouchables ((those who will definitely be locked up)).

Repeating for you:: “”There will be many players returning”” There’s always a core of workmanlike guys who fill the rosters, but there are some that provide “”ultra skills” that are considered the “”elite.”” We have about 5 guys that are at the top of the list that fit that description.

With guys like Fitz, CJones, DJohnson, PP?, and now Budda guaranteed to be here, they can create havoc for opponents. Any others?

We have some other guys who are good players that will return ~ most are journeymen completing the team. Many are under contract…but if you do your himework, you will discover a long list of free agents…20 estimated. I’m thinking about 5 will be back…some will opt for FA to try for a better deal.

Do have a list of untouchable stars? Would you put the F TAG on anyone? When you answer those questions for yourself, you will get to my point. Be well…

45. By Dr. G. on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

ScottH ~ On your QB history rave…do you remember Boomer having a 500 yard game way back when in Sun Devil Stadium on his career downside? Not many highlights in those days, but that one stands out…

46. By Dr. G. on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Long Haul Cards Fans…For the first 20 years since the team came to Arizona, we had 1 ((ONE)) winning season! ((Jake the Snake)) ((ONE)) 1-20.

Ya think we have reasonable desires for a consistently winning team…at least 9-7 every year with occasional playoffs. This patience deserves it…since we have had some recent success, we can expect top tier results.

We have the best Fans, a fantastic stadium, great media, WEATHER, …got it all. Now we need to create some positive history for a couple decades.

47. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Scott H

Nkemdiche is a HOFer when it comes to offseason practice. Remember they said he had to calm down because he was dominating so much.

Frankly it is not Nkemdiche’s fault that football is not played in June.

Remember how many people attacked us for saying Bethel sucks before the season started. Then game by game we would point out how bad he was and get thumbs down.

Do you have any idea where those people are now? You know, those people who said we knew nothing as I ripped on Keim’s drafts.

Cooper was a bust (who cares what he is doing in dallas), Minter a bust
    Bucannon never made it to safety, Niklas has promise but not thrown to
    Humphries has played 18 out of 48 games. Golden has been good but 13 starts.
    Nkemdiche has 9 tackles and zero sacks in two years. Brandon Williams is a joke
    Reddick is rushing off the end instead of playing inside where he belongs.

So, maybe we should just stay with Gabbert instead of letting Keim pick again.

48. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

clssy,

I am not following your message above.

49. By Dr. G. on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

jtdg ~ ~ Nkemdiche? Where is he? …off in some lair practicing a saxophone, still wondering how to sneak in a real black panther despite gov’t regulations.

Wishing his dedication to personal pursuits transferred to the NFL? Priorities! Hey, you asked!

50. By clssylssy on Dec 13, 2017 | Reply

JTDG & Dr G
    Never mind. I answered your post but it wasn’t posted !

51. By Scott H on Dec 13, 2017 | Reply

Dr.G.

RE: Boomer’s 500 yard game

Yes, I remember it well. It was against the Redskins. WILD game. Cards made a late-game comeback, I believe they went to OT, I think I remember there being missed kicks by BOTH teams, and the Cards eventually booted one through to end it. I remember being at a house where there were a lot of Eagles fans, they were all following that game because they needed the Redskins to lose, and they were all jumping on the Cardinals bandwagon!. Those were the wins that had to sustain you back in those days, ya know? ‘Cause we sure as hell weren’t going to any playoffs back then.

52. By Darren Urban on Dec 13, 2017 | Reply

Scott H, Dr. G —

RE: Boomer

53. By Scott H on Dec 14, 2017 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks for that. I remember, so well, Butler initially missing the kick but getting a 2nd chance after the penalty. Lots of drama in that game.

Speaking of drama, I also remember when Boomer walked out on the team after he was benched. Any time I hear him expounding on character or maturity in today’s players ( which he does ), I remember him doing that and I think to myself, Really, Boomer? Like you’ve never been there and you didn’t do some stupid things, too? Yeah, you definitely did, so….try to have a little more understanding.

2. Dec 12, 2017: FEATURED ARTICLE: Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals banged up in win over Titans | Cardinals - NFC Wild West | Arizona Cardinals Blog
  3. Dec 12, 2017: Cardinals Blogs | Does Veldheer injury make Palmer decision?