Does Veldheer injury make Palmer decision?

Posted by Darren Urban on December 12, 2017 – 10:08 am

After Bruce Arians did his Monday press conference he did his weekly interview on the “Bickley and Marotta” show on Arizona Sports 98.7, and mentioned that he was still hopeful Carson Palmer would be able to play again this season. Palmer himself has said he’s working toward that, although it’s been left vague what exactly is the plan. Palmer would have to be healthy first, and he’s not even practicing yet. Slow healing could make all the discussion a moot point.

But you have to wonder, now that Jared Veldheer is done for the season and fellow starter Earl Watford will miss some time, whether that alone could force the Cardinals’ hand. Having a banged-up offensive line isn’t ideal for any quarterback, but it would seem less so for a quarterback who isn’t known for his mobility. It’s one thing to get Palmer healthy, it’s another thing to put him on a line with, for instance, rookie Will Holden at left tackle.

Again, this might all be moot. GM Steve Keim just said Monday that, aside from about-to-play long snapper Aaron Brewer, there is no one else trending healthy enough to come off IR. But when you start factoring in circumstances, maybe that’s for the best anyway.

Tags: , , ,

38 Responses to “Does Veldheer injury make Palmer decision?”

1. By georgiebird on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Palmer should NOT come back for any reason. Cards play Washington, Giants and Seahawks- three very physical defenses. Palmer couldn’t do well against these defenses in his best day.
    Palmer gets a lot of positive backing on this site but looking at other commentary, he is not thought of as a very good QB.

2. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: “Palmer couldn’t do well against these defenses in his best day.”

Dec. 24, 2016 (the last time Palmer played Seattle.)
    at Seattle. Behind a ravaged offensive line, actually, without Veldheer and Humphries
    W 34-31
    26-16-284-1-0

3. By georgiebird on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

My least favorite team in the NFL is the Redskins -and for many reasons.
    1) Skins poached 3 of our best players over the years and all 3 are in the Redskins Ring of Fame- Pat Fischer, Dave Butz and Ken Harvey. All drafted by the Cards and all helped the Skins win Super Bowls and NFC titles
    2) one of our best players last year DJ Swearinger now plays for the Skins
    3) Our best QB, Jim Hart, finished his career with the Skins
    4) During the period 1976 to 1992 the Redskins beat us over 80% of the time – something like 24 out of 30 games.
    5) Skins beat us on a tie- breaker for the wildcard in 1976
    I could be wrong but the Cards didn’t get anything back from the ‘Skins for all this loss of talent- guys left for more money.. For most of the last 50 years, it’s been a one sided “rivalry”. I don’t even remember any Redskins players that have played well for the Cards.

4. By Tradersbrain on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

georgiebird: “Palmer couldn’t do well against these defenses in his best day.”
    Totally agree with Darren’s response, Palmer has yet to lose in Seattle as a Cardinal.

5. By georgiebird on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

@Darren,
    re: Palmer
    Good one .
    There is an “Acorn” joke in here somewhere.

6. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: Acorn

I can find a lot of examples of Palmer playing well. For you to say otherwise is disingenuous.

7. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Palmer a warrior in Seattle.

Would love to see him do it again. Also, would love to see how Gabbert would handle it…

8. By Woody on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Thanks for clarifying that last post. Some people need to research facts before their outburst.

9. By clssylssy on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Georgiebird…
    I couldn’t disagree wit you more! Carson Palmer has proved to be one of the toughest QBs in the league who, on a regular basis, has taken a beating behind a nonexistent O-line, but has been able to recover & lead the team to wins. Players respect him (they are the ones I consider qualified to make such judgements) for his football IQ & leadership and he was in a he conversation just a few years ago for MVP. He’s like the football version of a Timex watch…takes a lick’n but keeps the on ticking!

10. By D on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Why?
    The reality is that this season has been over for some time, can we please shift the conversation to next year (starting to sound like a Cub fan prior to their WS win) and less on wishes, hopes etc.

No way Palmer would want to deal with playing behind this Oline. Which transitions to next years Oline. Besides DJ and maybe Shipley as a backup to teach the new players, I don’t see why Keim would bring back the same Oline.
    The Oline in 2018 should be 1b in prioritizing only behind a future QB as 1A.

I believe last spring when the rumors of Palmer not returning and listing his house for sale, he was promised an improved Oline, well look at how bad they played prior to the injuries. If Palmer does decide to come back I would guess he will wait until we’ll into free agency to see if any Oline players were added for 2018.

Did anyone else hear Jay Feely during the game that “Dawson told me how he doesn’t feel comfortable with their blocking scheme during field goals” Talk about throwing the Teams coach under the bus. How the heck do they go into this late in the season without adjusting to their kicker needs? Or is this Phil making excuse foe his 42 yr old shaky leg?

11. By Halagator on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

D –

There were injuries right out of the gate for the team – Palmer didn’t have a solid line at all for 3/4 of the time he played this year.

Not sure why everyone hates on Palmer. He’s 12th all time in Passing yardage, 11th in Pass Completions & 12th in Passing TD’s. Plus he has 92 wins as a starting QB, even though he has played on some mediocre football teams a good chunk of his career

12. By creditcard on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

The title of this article, I first thought Darren is in reference to next year for Palmer. Keep in mind Veldheer thought about retiring during preseason; season ending injuries will probably cement Veldheer’s decision to retire.

Palmer will also retire, as with Larry Fitzgerald, (unfortunately for both ofthese players). Rucker, Dansby, and Bethea, will certainly retire on defense. Lee and Dawson will call it quits on ST.

Several players will probably not make the Cards or go elsewhere: Mauro, Gunter, B Williams, Bethel, most if not all of the O-linemen, J Brown, J Brown, Nelson, Gresham, Golden, Stanton, Penny, and more.

In summary, and in my opinion, next year’s Cards will look totally different than this year’s Cards. I’m guessing at least 30-40% players will turnover during the offseason. Because of the expected radical turnover, I think the next couple years for the Cards will be bleak. I think Arians and Keim also know this, and they too, will call it during the off season.

13. By clssylssy on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

D….
    While you make good points, the reality is that everyone (looking for future employment) will want to finish with the best possible record as well as the best possible tape & having the people on the field to accomplish those ends tends to be of primary importance at this time of year.

14. By Jim Richardson on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Guys, Palmer would be an idiot to come back now. He needs to retire before he really gets hurt and we need to move on. Gabbert probably isn’t the answer. I agree with what Keim and Darren said recently – accuracy can’t be taught. You either have it or you don’t. We’ve been down that road before and don’t need to go there again. Nick Foles is not the answer, but he might be a good short term fix if he is available, although now he will be trying to get the Eagles into a Super Bowl. Foles would do well in Arians’ system. What can I say – I liked him at the U of A.

15. By jeffcardinalfan on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

georgiebird…don’t forget the missed o’donohue fg on last play of last game in 78 against skins… maybe…if he makes it were in,if he misses were out…I couldn’t even watch and turned the channel as I knew o’donohue would blow it.

it would have been interesting to see carson with a really good team…he has put up some numbers but has played a lot…imho he lacks the “it” factor that brady, Namath, montana had.

as far as next year goes cards should overhaul roster but with ba/sk, carson and larrys future uncertain all we can do now is speculate…my guess is that carson and larry retire and ba comes back IF HE REALLY BELIEVES IN GABBERT..with some coaching changes…there should be at least 3 kickers in camp, a qb should be drafted high and ol and receiver must be addressed in both free agency and draft…with golden healthy defense doesn’t look too bad especially if we can find a cb and the badger returns to form(maybe we cut him loose-trade? and go with baker)

16. By michael on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Georgiebird-

Five reasons why the team from DC is your least favorite team and the maligned ownership of Dan Snyder or the racial slur of the team’s nickname can’t crack the top 5?

17. By joe holst on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

I’m getting Derek Anderson/John Navarre/John Skelton flashbacks with Blain Gabbert, the game is 2 /12 hours deep and you still waiting for the 1st touchdown, not exactly Kurt Warner escque with 4-5 touchdowns every game.

18. By Joe C. on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

While I’d love to compete for a Super Bowl every year, if this is a down year we’re pretty lucky. I really enjoyed the Jags and titan games. I feel every Sunday we are competing. Gabbert is intriguing and worth having on the roster for back up money. I could easily see him excelling with another year under his belt. Whether that’s in relief of Palmer or bridging through a young draft pick. I’m torn because we could win out, which would be nice, but I want the high draft pick. Ride Palmer one more year with Gabbert available if he gets hurt or gets old. Grab best player available in the draft and hope its a CB2, WR, or Olineman. Resign Bynes and Boone and Williams. Trade a draft pick and AP for something good. Move the Honey Badger.

19. By JTDG on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

“But you have to wonder, now that Jared Veldheer is done for the season and fellow starter Earl Watford will miss some time, whether that alone could force the Cardinals’ hand”

Ha ha. This made me laugh. Like the oline was stellar when everyone was healthy? Isn’t Palmer on IR and didn’t Stanton get injured and didn’t I just watch Gabbert get sacked 8 times and the cards took a timeout because he was shaken up?

With or without Veldheer, Palmer was going to put his life on the line if he came back.

20. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Halagator –

RE: Palmer

But let’s not forget what Palmer has NOT done, which is having success in the post-season. That stands out for a guy that has played as long as he has. Only ONE post-season win on his resume. ONE. I’m not saying that is a reason to “hate” on Palmer, but…..it is cause for the doubts that some may have.

21. By Scott H on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

D –

I agree – and have for some time now – that it is time to look ahead to what the future is for this team. But with Fitz reaching new milestones every week at this point and the way some of these young guys are playing, there ARE reasons to stay tuned in. But as far as TEAM success goes…..2017 has felt over for quite a while now. Really, did it ever feel like there WAS hope for a post-season spot. For me, it did not.

I hope to see them win out. At least, I hope for 2-1. A win out here on the east coast would be nice to see since that is typically a point of struggle for the Cardinals. The Redskins are beatable. The Giants SHOULD be a win. Hard to know if the Giants will still have any motivation left by that time. Week 16, on the road, Christmas weekend…..they may just do a drive by and want to get back on the plane ASAP. But Week 17 in Seattle is the one I REALLY want! That may all come down to whether or not Seattle needs the game. If they do, I’m pretty sure they’ll get it. Our O-line is beyond decimated and who knows how Gabbert will fare against that pass rush.

But we also know Gabbert wants to make a case for himself. We know the Cardinals are still playing all out. That is a sign of character. And I hope to see the heart and character they have been playing with rewarded.

22. By D on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Halagator
    I am not hating on Palmer, there is no reason to come back early behind the worst Oline in the NFL.
    K. Barnes could have been signed after DJ got hurt early in the season.

23. By Cody Zarr on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Darren/Georgie

Isn’t Palmer undefeated in Seattle for us or something close to it?

24. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Cody —

RE: Palmer in Seattle

Yes. In three starts there as a Cardinal, Palmer is 3-0. He did not start there in 2014.

25. By georgiebird on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

To All,
    Sorry for my demeaning comments of Carson Palmer. For the benefit of the group and for my continued peace with my fellow Cardinals’ fans, I hope the Cards bring back Palmer for as long as he wants to play. When I get 30 thumbs down out of 30 votes, it’s time to fold ’em.

26. By Ben Whitley on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Darren do you expect the Cardinals to select an offensive lineman in the first round of the draft this year and possibly moving on from either Veldheer or Humphries in the off-season? I know Connor Williams from Texas and Mike McGlinchey from Notre Dame are considered very good prospects at the tackle position and I’m curious if you believe the Cardinals will address the offensive line early in the upcoming draft.

27. By Darren Urban on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Ben —

RE: First round

I think a lot of positions are on the table. Quarterback is absolutely possible, but an offensive lineman could also be the choice.

28. By Richard S on Dec 12, 2017 | Reply

Monday Monday Night Football announcer Don Meredith becomes unglued in the press box when the Cardinals hand his former Cowboys a 38-0 defeat in Dallas. It was the third shutout in a row for the Big Red defense. Johnny Roland’s punt return for a touchdown got things rolling.Nov. 16, 1970.
    from
    http://www.stltoday.com/big-red-moments-we-ll-never-forget/collection_0a697220-df9f-11e7-97d4-d7857cc208c6.html#tracking-source=home-latest-2 in the Stltodaoy.com
    The best Monday nite game I ever saw.

29. By AZ Coz on Dec 13, 2017 | Reply

I like Nick Foles. I think he’s a solid QB. Being a back up for someone like Carson Wentz has probably had a good effect on Foles as well. I definitely think he would be great for the Cards. You never know he might be one of these guys who might just click with our offense and find it favorable to learn.

30. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Dec 13, 2017 | Reply

Good stuff, Richard S.
    Nice to bring back those good memories.

31. By Halagator on Dec 13, 2017 | Reply

Scott H –

Re: Palmer and what he has done

Ok…let me break it down, Palmer’s only been to the playoffs 3 times in 14 seasons. Is that his fault? Last time I checked football was still a team game.

2005 – Tore his ACL on his first pass of their playoff game against the Steelers (which went for a TD)

2009 – Played Rex’s Jets that went into the playoffs hot, with their stud D and were winners of 5 out of their 6 previous games

2015 – 1 playoff win vs GB and 1 playoff loss to Carolina – we all know that Palmer’s broken finger on his throwing hand was a major reason for his poor play in that Panthers game. Also the Panthers were 15-1..hard to argue with them being a bad team.

So for you to say what has Palmer done in playoffs I would say that he really hasn’t had many opportunities. Go look at the records of QB’s in the playoffs….not all of them have winning records. Heck Marino is 8-10 in the playoffs and no one calls him lousy. I just think people are often too critical on certain players. I’d take Palmer over a lot of QB’s currently starting right now in the NFL.

32. By Scott H on Dec 13, 2017 | Reply

Halagator

Whoa. First, I never said Palmer was “lousy.” That is either YOUR word or a word you took from someone else’s post.

I beg to differ with you on some points. When you say that Palmer hasn’t had many opportunities in the playoffs, well…..sorry, but I think that says something. And I don’t know how you let that go by so easily. Is football a team sport? Well, yes, it is. And? And is any other position on a football team more important than the QB position?

2005 – yes, that was a lousy deal for Palmer, going down injured early.

2009 – OK, so he played a good team with a stud defense that had won of 5 of their last 6 games…..gee, that sounds to me like the kind of team you are SUPPOSED to play in the playoffs, isn’t it? Listen to what you are saying here. That is a total excuse.

2015 – and whoa again. Because from what I remember, everyone around Palmer was saying that the finger injury was a non-factor. Questions kept getting asked and the same answer kept coming back that the finger wasn’t a problem. Oh, but NOW, suddenly it is? Sorry, but I heard the finger wasn’t a problem enough times to believe that that must have been true. So, I’m not buying it. Cling to that if you want but there seemed to be very little to that. And IF the finger WAS really a factor, then the Cardinals didn’t do Palmer any favors by repeatedly saying it was not.

As for a comparison to Dan Marino…..dude, you must be kidding. I’m not even responding to that except to say that his 8-10 record in the playoffs means he went to a hell of a lot more playoff games than Palmer did. The Marino comparison was just a BAD idea. In no discussion anywhere in the civilized world among people who know NFL football will you find a single person who thinks Carson Palmer fairly compares with Dan Marino.

I’m not “hating” on Palmer. I just see different things than you do.

33. By Cardinalchris on Dec 14, 2017 | Reply

Does Larry signing an extension earlier this season help the cap in any shape or form if he does decide to retire?

First Round possibilities – QB/WR/OL/CB/OLB but most of all we need a Doctor. Someone good with hamstrings, broken ankles, groin muscles, flexibility, etc. Maybe a good Yoga instructor in round 2… These injuries are worse than watching a rerun of MASH.

34. By Darren Urban on Dec 14, 2017 | Reply

Cardinalchris —

RE: extension

It does not. There will be some dead money from Fitz’s previous deals still there, plus the $11M if he decides to play. I mean, if he retires the $11M won’t be there on the cap, so if you are saying that “helps” that is true but the price is you don’t have your No. 1 receiver.

35. By Halagator on Dec 14, 2017 | Reply

Scott H –

Maybe I did not clarify for you properly. In your post you basically stated that Palmer has done nothing in the playoffs. Sorry if I’m paraphrasing you on this but that is what I take from your comments. I retorted by saying he hasn’t had much opportunity. 3 playoff seasons in 14 years isn’t much opportunity. That’s a fact.

Yes the QB position is magnified compared to other positions but its still a team game. I can name a handful of teams that have won the Superbowl without spectacular QB play. Now does it help to have a superstar QB at the helm? Absolutely. I don’t dispute that.

As for the comparison to Marino, it was to point out that even one of the best QB’s in NFL history had a losing record in the playoffs. Basically pointing out that Palmer also has a losing record in the playoffs (As you stated Palmer has done nothing, ie losing record)

No doubt Marino played more playoff games, because he played on better football teams. I would argue that Palmer played the majority of his career on mediocre football teams. So in my analysis its unfair say Palmer has done nothing when you aren’t given the opportunity to make playoffs. You can’t put it all on the QB for a teams failures overall.

Lastly I would like to ask you how you think a broken index finger on your throwing hand doesn’t affect things? I think you need to go practice throwing in your back yard, because It sounds like you have never thrown a football in your life.

I’ve played football since I was 12 years old being one of those guys blessed with a natural throwing arm and even having the opportunity to play for one of the top university programs up here in Canada. And now in my 40’s I still throw the football for my flag team. I might have a slight idea how the mechanics of throwing a football go.

So for you to write that you aren’t buying that Palmer’s finger was a problem for his poor play in the final few games of 2015 season is ridiculous. Just because the coaches and Palmer himself said it wasn’t the problem doesn’t mean that it wasn’t a problem. They all said that as to not make up excuses, which I appreciate they did, but we all saw that the accuracy was down, fumbles and INT’s were up after the injury. I don’t think that was a coincidence, the guy was playing at an MVP level before the finger was broken.

I know we all have different opinions on here, and I do respect that, but sometimes your posts are way out there.

36. By Scott H on Dec 14, 2017 | Reply

Halagator –

Since we’re clarifying things, I did not say Palmer has done NOTHING in the playoffs. I DID say he has not had success in the playoffs. And for a guy who has one playoff win for a career as long as his has been…..I don’t see how you can read that as anything but pretty straight up.

In terms of the finger…..OK, I hear you. Despite your illustrious playing career, the fact is neither one of knows how much that injury affected Palmer. And we never will, until or unless Palmer himself speaks to it someday. BTW, I’ve thrown plenty of footballs, so please spare us your all-knowing assumptions. I was more of a baseball player, thank you. I also love how you seem to know for a fact what the coaches intentions were ( to not make excuses ). Forgive me, I didn’t realize you were so on the inside. Hey, give BA a pound for me next time you see him, alright?

But after YOU ventured down the ridiculous road to comparing Carson Palmer to Dan Marino, I find it funny that you say that sometimes MY posts are way out there. Well, my friend, perhaps it takes one to know one.

Your claim that you’re still throwing the football in your 40’s for your flag football team, so you might have a slight idea how the mechanics of throwing a football go had to be just about the most condescending comment I think I’ve ever heard on the blog.

Hey, I’m moving on to the Redskins. Be well.

37. By Halagator on Dec 15, 2017 | Reply

Scott H –

Your whole post is just an example of your usual out there statements. Why so heated? You are the one throwing out all the assumptions here.

I merely stated that from my observations the coaching staff and Palmer himself did not want to use the finger as an excuse. Which I commend as they basically fell on their sword saying he (Palmer) didn’t play well, Its kind of an auto response you hear from most professional athletes and organizations. I’m sure you and I can agree that we both have read and heard those kinds of statements from time to time.

For the record I wasn’t saying Palmer is or will be as good as Marino in the end. It’s not really a comparison. I was just stating even the great ones don’t always win in the playoffs

I would probably take Marino as one of my top 5 all time QB’s to start a team with. Palmer is and has been a good NFL QB- I wouldn’t hesitate to draft him coming out of college at all if I were a GM. A guy that has always been a solid starter from day 1 and can play for you for 14 years. That’s a good draft pick.

And how is my comment condescending about throwing a football? I was simply saying I have been playing football for 30 straight seasons (From touch, to tackle to flag football) and have thrown a lot of footballs. I’m no Joe Montana, Drew Brees or Dan Marino… But I do know how to throw a football. And yes I’ve had broken fingers, sprained fingers, jammed fingers on my throwing hand and yes it does affect your throwing. Just stating my opinion and sharing my thoughts on a finger injury..

No need to get all worked up.

Anyway…Washington it is. On to the next topic.

Cheers.

38. By Scott H on Dec 15, 2017 | Reply

Halagator –

We seem to not be reading each other very well here. I like Palmer, I have appreciated Palmer, he’s probably the 3rd best QB I’ve seen play for the Cardinals during my decades as a fan. I have to put him behind Warner and Lomax. We’re not debating whether he is a good QB or not.

But no worries. Cheers to you as well.

Onward to the east coast and the Redskins.