With Gresham ill, Seals-Jones should play more

Posted by Darren Urban on December 17, 2017 – 9:29 am

The Cardinals’ inactive list isn’t that difficult to figure out, given the number of players listed out by the time we got to Saturday night. The latest man added to that group was tight end Jermaine Gresham, who was downgraded to out Saturday because he is sick. That meant the Cardinals promoted tight end Gabe Holmes from the practice squad — and he is active — but what is likely more important will be increased snaps for rookie tight end Ricky Seals-Jones.

How much more Seals-Jones plays will be something to watch. Holmes is a little bit thicker than Seals-Jones and might serve the Cards a little better as a blocker.

Defensive lineman Corey Peters also returns from his ankle injury today after missing the past four games.

— QB Matt Barkley

— WR John Brown (toe)

— CB C.J. Goodwin

— LB Gabe Martin (hamstring)

— G Earl Watford (ankle)

— TE Jermaine Gresham (illness)

— DL Josh Mauro (ankle)

Tags: , , , , ,

27 Responses to “With Gresham ill, Seals-Jones should play more”

1. By mitchaz on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

RSJ should be playing more anyway. Gresham has been wildly inconsistent and is the most penalized TE in the NFL. His 4 year contract at $7.2M per remains utterly mind-boggling.

2. By Jametruis Judge on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

Well, I’m watching this and I’ve come to the realization that we’re cursed at the offensive line positions. The O line that we have starting today can’t protect at all. The DEFENSE hasn’t played great on none of this year’s East coast games. I know that it’s early in the game b.u.t, it’s not hard to see where this game is going to go. Hey, maybe we can bring Marvin Lewis on as our defensive coordinator.

3. By Jametruis Judge on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

By the way. What is it that they’ve seen in Will Holden to have drafted him? He’s getting beat like a drum.

4. By georgiebird on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

As I wrote 3 weeks ago- Gabbert is the new arrival of Josh McCown. Gabbert has talent that will amaze BUT Gabbert is prone to have 3 disastrous plays a game. Reminds all of McCown’s career.
    When looking for QB talent in the draft , Cards probably won’t find anyone with the physical talent of Gabbert. But how long can the 3 disastrous plays a game continue?

5. By El Gallo on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

Red zone.. What’s going on here?

– Incredibly Frustrating to see the offense continually stall as soon as they enter the red zone. It feels almost automatic now this season. Play calls??
    – Also can’t comprehend why they’re still huddling and not running the 2 minute offense as time is running out at the end of the 1st half?? How does it make sense to take your time here?
    – Consistantcy? Accountability?
    Not so much when you have a WR false start and pushes you back even further.
    WR not knowing routes or on different page from QB and gets hit in back of head with 🏈 missing a touchdown.
    OL not holding up at all. Injuries aside by now every OL should know the system. It’s Football just do your job, or do you need an excuse?

This feels more like Lack of Discipline and players not knowing their assignments or just flat out can’t execute them which falls directly on the Coaches and GM. At this point of the season competitive teams have their units working like a well oiled machine in all phases of the game, it’s plug and play.
    In our case they’re just not getting it done offensively once in the red zone, defense still allowing big chunk plays and touchdowns. Poor play designs, poor player execution, poor coaching, poor drafting? I guess take your pick but something isn’t working.

Utterly Frustrated but always loyal to our team.

– On a positive note.
    Individual Players getting it done today:
    (in no particular order)
    * Budda Baker
    * Larry Fitzgerald
    * Chandler Jones
    * Kerwin Williams
    * Tramon Williams

-Respectfully, long time fan here

6. By Scott H on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

Looked like we had a chance at the end. Needed Gabbert to make a throw….and he couldn’t. Very disappointing.

7. By creditcard on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

I’m trying to see the right side … I could be living in Columbus Ohio and be a die hard Ohio pro football fan in the Browns and Bengals.

8. By creditcard on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

I’m convinced that Robert Nkemdiche is dogging it, so that he gets cut, so that he gets picked up by his hometown team, the Rams.

9. By creditcard on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

The ONLY decent drafting Kiem has pulled off has been from small colleges. His 1st round selections are much to be desired. Humphreys is good, but has only played about 1/3 of the games (not ready and injury), Nkemdiche is working out to be a bust. Reddick is good, but his talent is a solid 2-3rd round category. PP was in a can’t miss draft class, Buchannan is good, but is slowing down … Overall, simply not impressive.

10. By creditcard on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

I predicted a 7-9 or 6-10 season way back in preseason. I hoped for better, but the Cards simply do not have the talent — especially on the line.

Next year’s O-line prediction:

Humphrey, Boone (if he signs), somebody, somebody, and somebody

O-line reserves: Wetzel Watford (if he signs) and somebody

11. By creditcard on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

I sure am glad the Cards released a proven commodity in C Campbell and rolled the dice on hotel window jumper Nkemdichie. Brilliant.

12. By creditcard on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

I’m sure Palmer and Stanton have already made up their minds about next year, after witnessing the beating Gabbert is receiving (thanks to the O-line). Palmer will retire, and Stanton will test the market as a back-up for literally any other team, even the CFL.

13. By Ric Italia on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

Gresham and Peters contract shave me baffled. See what we have in the young players. Chad Williams and the like. Get a quaterback that is known for their accuracy , be it a starter and or backup. Gabbert and Stanton are 50 % completion percentage at best. 2018 draft will be make it or break it for Mr Keim.The 3 year plan starts now.

14. By TucsonTim on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

Looks like we will be drafting a QB

15. By creditcard on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

Gabbert missed some passes, but overall I think he’s doing OK. He really doesn’t have a running game, and the O-line is arguably the worse in the NFL (this includes the Browns).

16. By creditcard on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

Chad Williams sure is making an impact! Great drafting Kiem.

17. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

If the Cards has Tom Brady as their QB, they would still get beat. Why…???
    They need an O-Line that can block. It should be a priority for whoever is GM next season. As I said before…. this O-Line couldn’t clear out an isle filled with old ladies at a Walmart Black Friday sale. Maybe BA wouldn’t say Gabbert had an average game, if someone would block for him so he could have time to find a receiver….. This team needs a “house cleaning” of players…..

18. By Rowlan Colorado Springs on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

Boy i was really hoping Nkemdiche and Reddick would shine down the stretch?? Robert needs to give back the #90. When Dockett was on, I knew it was gonna be a good day. Boy those were the days!!

19. By Scott H on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

Rowlan –

Agreed. It IS a shame to see a total dud like Nkemdiche wearing Dockett’s #90. DD isn’t even dead and he’s turning over in his grave.

Maybe when he gives back #90, he can give back the money he has flat out STOLEN from this organization.

Most of the players we’ve lost to injury this season, you KNOW they’re not there because you SEE the impact their absence has on how the team plays. But with Nkemdiche, he’s been there pretty much all year. And you can’t even tell because his PRESENCE on the field has no impact at all. What do we call that? Hiding in plain sight? He is a damn joke. And if he’s not embarrased by his lack of impact, he really should be.

20. By TucsonTim on Dec 17, 2017 | Reply

And is BA ready to apologize to the Rams?

21. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

Tucson —

RE: Rams

Why would he apologize?

22. By clssylssy on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

I REALLY can’t stand the Rams…QB killers, find it curious that so many of our fans have jumped onto the LA bandwagon, forgetting the injuries they have caused the Cards and the dirty play of Fisher/Williams. However, if anything, their overnight success does prove that in this day it’s all about money and being willing to open the wallet to pay quality free agents and staff as well as building a franchise where players want to go and see a future. The 9ers made some very smart moves in getting a young coach and Jimmy G., but again they are willing to pay for play, whereas the Cards are going to find themselves once again in the cellar unless Michael B decides to part with some cash and bring in younger minds with a vision for the future and the IQ to develop a plan.
    For those who have now decided to hate on Robert N., be reminded that he is a rookie and so isn’t “stealing all that money”. Yeah, he’s making more than he would at Mickey D’s but rookie pay isn’t exactly the high life either and there is the part about being a crash test dummy for a living. If you are going to be angry, be angry at the person who drafted him and then hasn’t followed up with development. These guys aren’t turn key players when they go from college to the Pros and when you take a flyier you get what you pay for unless you set about upgrading and fixing up your purchase!
    Right now the most exciting development in the league to me is that the Panthers are being sold, providing an opening for hopefully a real football person to join the old guard of owners . How cool it would be to get a former player or even a couple of former players to buy the Panthers (Peytoh Manning and Larry Fitzgerald would be ideal)!
    This year’s football season has been wildly disappointing for fans across the league, the injuries have been horrendous and the Cardinals really have been in the same boat as everyone else on that front. The difference is how teams have dealt with injuries and their willingness to bring in players to fill the void created. The Cards have continued with their off season pattern of talking big but not doing much in the way of helping themselves which has been reflected in the play of the team.

23. By Scott H on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

Nkemdiche was a rookie LAST year. He’s not a rookie anymore. And as to my comment about the money he is stealing from this organization, I stand by that. I have no idea what you are defending here. Between the time he has missed ( between being in-active and / or injured ) and the lack of measurable impact on the field when he plays ( = stats )…..what money has he actually earned here???

Yeah, I AM angry at the people who drafted him as well. I’ve been pretty outspoken about that. But NOT to the point where I give Nkemdiche a pass.

24. By Scott H on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

RE: The Rams

Two things…..first, I think it is ridiculous to think the Rams make specific efforts to hurt other team’s QB and cause them injury. Really?? C’mon. Our QB’s have taken beatings by PLENTY of other teams. What the Rams do is no different than what any other team does – they’re just better at it than most.

And, BTW, Palmer’s injury against them in 2014 was TOTAL NON-CONTACT.

Stanton was injured during the Seahawks game this year.

And 2nd, hate the Rams all you want but do you REALLY want to see the damn Seahawks win another division title??? Not me, sister. I have no great love for the Rams but since the Cardinals aren’t winning it this year, I’ll take a new face over the Seahawks.

25. By clssylssy on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

@ Scott

R. Nkemdiche is still playing on a rookie contract so as far as him “stealing all the money”, that is pretty exaggerated and technically he is still a rookie on the books. There are other players on the team who could be guilty of “stealing” much more..
    I get that you are disappointed in Robert N., and that he wouldn’t have been your choice for a 1st round pick, mine neither. However, Keim is notorious for not using his 1st rounders for at least a year or two and the fact that this organization doesn’t do a thing to help develop our investments is the real problem and what makes so many of us crazy.
    Blaming the player is kinda like shooting the messenger because you don’t like the message!

Re: The Rams
    To each their own. I grew up in the midwest when the Rams were decent, good people and they had great and loyal fans (Dick Vermeil era). When Williams came after Bountygate, he brought with him an element that has been with him with every team he’s been associated with from the Bills, the Redskins, Saints to the Rams–the thug mentality, which, unfortunately seemed to rub off on their fans.
    Nonetheless, I really lost any shred of respect for the organization when they sold out their loyal fans tor the high life and glitz of LA (I realize the Cards did this to the same fans earlier, arg). Williams is gone now and the Rams are high on being the new “America’s Team” but I would rather see the Seahawks Win the Division any day over the Rams b/c at least the Seahawks built their organization through hard work rather than buying their way to the top.
    I guess it’s all just a matter of preferences , history, and what you are familiar with.

26. By Scott H on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

clssy –

Who do you think was more behind the Rams moving to LA – the Rams or the NFL? I say it was the latter. The NFL wanted a team – make that TWO teams – in that market and I think they saw the Rams as a prime candidate, especially since that was their home in the first place. I think the NFL saw that as a great story.

I’m less inclined to hold that against the Rams.

And as you say, to each his / her own. And you know I’m one of your biggest fans. But I will NEVER root for the Seahawks, especially as long as Pete Carroll is their coach. That man is a snake. Hard to not respect him as a coach, but…..as a person, I have not an ounce of regard for him.

27. By clssylssy on Dec 28, 2017 | Reply

Scott..
    FWIW; I was never a fan of Carroll’s at USC but I’m not much of a USC fan period. As a coach, I think Carroll is one of the best in the NFL based on the fact that his player’s love him and he seems to know how to get them motivated to win games, You NEVER hear him devalue or criticize anyone to the media, never throws anybody under the bus, and the players know he has their back. I base alot on the player’s judgement of a coach and they all would give up a kidney for him! Coach Carroll has inspired that team to believing they could be winners and in turn the entire franchise has become better. This is football and if we’re going to judge a man’s character, I look to the players to make that judgement as they are the ones who know who Pete Carroll really is.
    As for the Rams, I have to admire the committment the organization has to turning the franchise around and investing in it as a business that they are determined to have succeed, I don’t think the fans are important as anything more than a necessary part of the profit making machine and it’s funny, bc I don’t experience the Chargers the same way. .I guess most of us draw our feelings about a team based on our experiences with their fans and I have just seen the Rams fanbase change over the years from solid, working class, respectful sportsfans to a lot of pretentious, rude, individuals who I hate having in our house and which is probably not fair since all fanbases have their share of idiots and jerks.
    As far as the move itself, I think the people of St Louis lost big and the organization only had to say “no”. Certainly the Ram owners made millions off the backs of those fans for years and could have chosen to be part of the solution when needed rather than bail for greener pastures. No football team has ever made it in the LA market but it’s a very rich and a seductive temptation.