Stanton, Gabbert and the QB position

Posted by Darren Urban on December 18, 2017 – 3:42 pm

Bruce Arians changed his mind, and now Drew Stanton will be back in the lineup. The coach emphasized many times it wasn’t necessarily a knock on Gabbert. At the same time, if Gabbert had completed 60 percent of his throws with a touchdown, he probably is still starting Sunday against the Giants and Stanton is not. But the Cards are in this red-zone rut, and Arians is trying to get out of it.

There are a lot of arguments here — and I’ve heard most of them on social media, bellowing from both sides. Arians thinks Stanton is better positioned to get a win against the Giants. If he doesn’t do well enough, would I be shocked with Gabbert going back to the lineup in Seattle? No. But as for evaluating Gabbert, I’m not sure how much more you learn from Gabbert in seven games that you haven’t already seen in five.

We won’t talk about the tanking vs. winning. (Today, Arians called wanting to lose to better your draft spot “bulls***.”) Maybe Stanton doesn’t appreciably increase the odds of winning over Gabbert. The rest of the pieces on the team remain the same, overwhelmed — especially on offense — with injuries.

I’m not sure this has a significant impact on what happens going into 2018. The search for a long-term QB was always part of the offseason play, regardless of how Gabbert played. Gabbert could still be brought back in 2018. There are so many moving parts — does Carson Palmer return? — that it figures to be a fluid situation, no matter who was going to start the final couple of games in 2017.

Tags: ,

55 Responses to “Stanton, Gabbert and the QB position”

1. By Paul on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

Maybe it’s more than Blane Gabrets fault maybe a little bit of the blame should go to the play calling it stunk Sunday and didn’t make sense at times

2. By Ken Moroney on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

All you need to know about the Cardinals ability to scout out talent, is to hear that they asked RG3 to join the Cardinals. OMG, he is not an NFL quality qback and I would give up my season tickets since they go to AZ if RG3 was on our team

3. By CARDS62 on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

BA pulled the old switch again and now Blaine is benched for Drew Stanton. I really wanted to see how Blaine will play against a bad defense, Giants.
    I would rather see Blaine play with a new HC and play caller than BA coach Drew Stanton. I am not saying Blaine is the answer as like most of you we better draft a QB in round 1 next year or Steve Keim is gone.
    Just want to see if Blaine can be a bridge for us next season so we can get rid of Palmer because of his contract. I want the playoffs next season and we need to find some tough players in the draft and free agency.
    I am the first to admit Blaine threw 2 bad interceptions against Washington, The second one was not called but it was an interception, and I think his hand off to Penny was too high which caused the fumble. Blaine also plays like he is 5′ 10″ in the pocket. I do not think he is the solution, but a bridge to the solution plus having salary cap room for the next 5 years. This is why Seattle was so good because they had such few dollars tied up in QB and now the Rams and Eagles also seem to be there, and Seattle is no longer there.
    Very proud of the way our makeshift line responded after 1st quarter, but pass blocking not great all game and horrible in Q1. Have not been good for weeks and this gets to QBs.
    I did not see separation with our WRs from Washington DBs this game and many times I noticed Brown and Fitz patterns were so close to each other that they could have held hands.
    Blaine ran well but did not run until final two drives. This is one of his strengths
    What I am saying is I do not think we have the team around him or play caller for Blaine to play his best, but the Giants game and beat up Seattle game will give us the best look to see if we should resign Blaine or go with Palmer. Heck I would not even mind if we rotated the QBs quarter by quarter.
    Does anyone think we can go with Stanton and a rookie next year with no Palmer or Gabbert or another free agent around $ 10 million QB?
    I do not. Which is why I just can not see the logic in this move.

4. By dobie on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

don’t care who you put out there if the OL does not hold the QB will have a tough time

5. By Aaron Allery on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

Forget about QBs. If Carson wants to play tell him to take $10million or bye bye, sign Eli, Brees, Cousins, it’s just business. Put QB whisperer ego aside and stop gambling with Cards future in David Johnson. Should have made a run at Garrapolo. Draft O-line and Memphis WR Anthony Miller. Pick up Auburn RB Kerryon Johnson late. Johnson and Johnson.

6. By creditcard on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

Its apparent the coaching staff is clueless. Receivers don’t run quality routes, line can’t block, QB’s can’t read a defense … list goes on.

M/b if we switched coaches we’d be better. I don’t think the coaching staff evaluates players properly and they really do not prepare players properly. I think their solution has been putting in another player as the ‘solution’ vs. analyzing themselves in whether they prepared the players correctly.

I’ve looked at Gabbert as a viable backup for the future. The Cards need to find a starting QB. Stanton is not the answer, and Palmer will not return (and I think he is not the answer anyhow).

College QB’s coming into the NFL is risky. Some are solid, while some are dogs. Look at smaller colleges for talent.

7. By Scott H on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

OK, so now we go back to the #2 guy again. Hey, whatever. I have NO idea what this means – if anything – in terms of the future. But….whatever. I can’t fault BA for making this decision. Not after no TD’s in the last….10 quarters, has it been now??

But I mention the future because the future is of more interest to me right now than the present. In the present, we’re headed for a losing season ( most likely ) and we’re eliminated from the playoffs. Officially. Un-officially, we were eliminated over a month ago. So….OK.

But the future…..so, what does THIS move tell us??? Well, it’s not a ringing endorsement for Gabbert. OK. Was anyone thinking Drew Stanton was coming back next year??? OK. Most would probably say no. Does this suggest anything about what Palmer’s future might be? No idea.

Above all else, are we DRAFTING a QB in the 2018 draft we think CAN be our future? We sure as hell better hope so.

In any event, I’m sure the folks that have been clamoring for an end to the Blaine Gabbert experiment are happy. And maybe those people are right, after all.

One thing for sure…..if anyone had told me back in late August that our QB’s in 2017 were going to go from Palmer to Stanton to Gabbert and back to Stanton……it might have saved me the trouble of getting my hopes up.

8. By JTDG on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

Who cares?

Neither is a starting NFL QB.

Frankly, lets give Darren a shot.

9. By Darren Urban on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Darren a shot

I appreciate the backing, but frankly, I’d rather not open myself up to any more criticism from the fan base than I already get. Also, I’m old. And wasn’t enough of an athlete when I wasn’t old.

10. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

It won’t matter who the Cards have at QB at this point…. Without a line to block the defense, no one is going to be successful…. 6-10? Does that record qualify for a top 10 draft pick at this point?

11. By Ric Italia on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

This does not make any sense. Gabbert still has more potential then Stanton. I know that isnt saying alot.I been a Cardinal fan all my life living in the burbs of Chicago and watching the Big Red practice at Lake Forest College in the late60’s.There were plenty of bad Cardinal teams during those years but always had hope. The last 2 years have been a nightmare because I see even the Bears having a better plan for the future. A young quaterback and more young talent then the Cards. I see that the Bears play the Cards in Arizona in 2018. Don’t know who I will be pulling for.

12. By Robert Ethan on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

Well, it sounds like the Packers might be shutting Aaron Rodgers down now that their playoff hopes are gone, so yeah, it certainly isn’t a criticism of Gabbert. Besides Stanton earns quadruple Blaine’s salary, he should take a few lumps behind that third string O line to earn some of it.

On the positive side, it might be Drew’s last rodeo at this level, so it would be nice to see him go out throwing the ball, and not standing on the sideline. Makes sense in a lot of ways. I think the team knows what it has in Blaine, and probably is close to ironing out the details for a new contract. Let him rest and stay healthy for next season. This one is done.

13. By Richard S on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

What it looks like to this unqualified observer is Blaine has a really good arm, but also really needs to work on his touch passes. Maybe the bullet passes he throws are why the ball seems to get knocked down by the defense at the line of scrimmage a lot. Then again maybe the protection is so bad that he tenses up and can’t throw a ball with touch.

14. By Richard S on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

Also I don’t remember Cousins wasting a down on long passes. It seems like he just sort of nickel and dimed his way down the field. Hard to believe the rushing totals for each team vs. the result.

15. By georgiebird on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

It’s a shame when one sees a guy like Gabbert with all the physical talent just not be able to do a consistent job. The biggest shame is that Gabbert misses the easiest passes. We see it in so many sports- in baseball we see the shortstop who can make the difficult play but cant catch a ball hit right to him in the 9th inning- in golf, the guy who can make the difficult putt but can’t drain a two footer when it counts.
    Gabbert seems to be a guy who needs a hypnotist more than he needs repetitions.
    It doesn’t help when a guy like Nicklas can’t bail out BG with a clutch catch. And what makes matters more frustrating, I turn the channel and watch Brady or Big Ben or Rodgers make a little dink and dunk pass to prolong a drive- a pass that any college QB could make.
    It takes me back to the iconic Jeter flip play in the 2001 ALDS. The play was all about hustle, awareness, touch and so little about physical ability

16. By Dr. G. on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

Darren ~ ~ giving you a shot at QB by a joking jtdg…

Frankly, 99.9% of the fans who post here appreciate your efforts…you need not assume anything personal.

When a Fan writes something critical about players or coaches, that’s NOT on you…but I get it; it can’t be a party when the team is not doing so well…

And you can omit a post if you choose. We’ve seen you admonish occasionally.

Just keep thinking…..99.9% appreciation… ((A good Christmas Season to you))

17. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

Will Keim last…??? It seems time for a new GM. Why??? He is in charge of the coaching staff, draft choices, FA signings, who to let go and who to keep. A lot of this mess is his fault. He keeps saying this is “Unacceptable”. From a fan’s perspective, he is the problem as he was in charge. Is Mr. Bidwill going to allow more of the same from Keim. More worthless draft choices? Over the hill FA signings? QB’s that should start in the CFL rather than the NFL? (Palmer was a good QB). Keim is responsible for letting BA keep a worthless ST coach. This list could go on. It is time for a “house cleaning” that starts at the top. Or else it will be more of the same for next year….. The fan’s deserve better!!!!

18. By Tradersbrain on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

We saw first hand in 2013 how average Carson looked in BA offense, to the tune of 22 ints. Gabbert has the necessary skillset to be successful, BA said so himself. We need to be patient with CPs replacement. Obviously, history shows us the learning curve of BA’s offense is a long one.

19. By clssylssy on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

What many fans seem to be over looking is that Gabbert can’t hit the broad side of a barn and after seven years in the league still doesn’t make good decisions and has a tendency to loose focus, He’s jittery, which one would expect from a newbie but he’s been around the block and should have better game presence by now. Joun Skelton had better accuracy than Gabbert and at least connected a few times for TDs to win games. Gabbert is a third string QB but so was Case Keenum and there is a HUGE difference in skills/football IQ. As a future anything with the Cards, I would hope that the FO would set their sights on finding someone more like Case Keenum for our backup and draft a quality future QB.
    I agree with Creditcard to a degree in that this organization does NOT invest anything into player development, they just throw them out on the field to see what works. Gabbert has had some excellent opportunities to audition for the team and the staff has seen what he can do when in pressure situations as well as practice etc. I think often these guys are very likeable but just aren’t what we’re needing which makes it difficult for everyone to move on from, especially when things seem so desperate.
    At this point perhaps BA just feels a win would make the fans feel less “bah hum bug” and Stanton does have a better chemistry which might be our best ;hope for a happier ending even though it’s meaningless at this point.

20. By COCards on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

>>Frankly, 99.9% of the fans who post here appreciate your efforts…

Entirely agree. Thank you for all you do Darren. I keep coming back just to read your comments. Have a Merry Christmas!

21. By DZ on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

Glad to see BA reward Drew for his loyalty and support all these years. I think Drew will give him everything he’s got and a whole lot less mental errors the next two games.
    It’s put up or shut up time for the front office.

22. By ChrisG on Dec 18, 2017 | Reply

If they truly want to extend Gabbert, benching him makes some sense. It keeps his value to other teams down and it keeps him alive for use at a later date. Any quarterback behind our porous o-line has his days numbered. Stanton lasted two games earlier and that is all we need out of him to finish out the season. These last two games should be called ” The Green Mile”.

23. By Don Short on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

Not sure of much, but one thing I am sure of is that in the 2018 Draft in the first round Arizona MUST draft a QB. And that is whether CP returns or doesn’t return. And it would be nice if the QB works out.

24. By NJAzCardsFan on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

As far as Gabbert goes, he would make a decent backup QB. There are a lot better FA QB’s out there currently. Finding one that throws accurately, a scrambler and fits the playbook is the key. No more FA’s/draft prospects that are “projects” like Logan Thomas, Kolb, Skelton etc…..

25. By Scott H on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

Elsewhere, I hear that Steve Keim is SAYING a lot of the right things about changes that are needed for next season.

I hear him apologizing to the fans, saying he takes it personally.

I hear him vowing big and many changes for next year, a team that will finish stronger in 2018.

OK. It SOUNDS good.

But now he needs to follow it up with the action and the right moves to make it happen. And that is where I, for one, am struggling with my confidence. At best, all I can say is I’ll believe it when I see it. Steve Keim needs to realize that he created his own credibility problem this past off-season when he vowed aggressiveness and came nowhere near showing it. He has also missed on too many of his high draft picks.

I think it is completely fair to say that going forward, actions need to start speaking louder than words.

I like that he sounds determined. But we’ll see.

26. By Ben on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

Should have been looking for a QB the past 3 years in the draft. SK is gun shy and cant pull the trigger.

27. By nszarowski on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

I’d like to see Baker Mayfield come in here and start off the back.
    The Rams did it with Goff and…have you seen that guys TD/INT ratio? Its off the charts…
    Draft Mayfield, as much as I like Palmer and thank him for everything he did for us …..cut him….take that money and invest on the right side of the line, I like Boone and LT DJ Humphries, hopefully he can stay healthy….
    Mayfield, Johnson, and hopefully a final season from Fitzy’ and I like the outcome…
    Keep Bruce, I read a lot of heat on this guy but remember the Ken Wisenhunt days? Bruce brings a fire to this team and I truly feel that locker room respects him, as effort is obviously not a question…plus I enjoy his media interviews.

All in all, in Keim I trust, in Bruce I trust, and I know next season will be successful.

28. By D on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

Mr. Keim sounds like he believes his job is secure.
    I think that BA is throwing a bone to Staton knowing this is it for both of them here in AZ, I bet BA is retiring

29. By JTDG on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

Scott H,

Why wouldn’t Keim say this? He has said he would be aggressive and make the moves every year.

Even before the trade deadline he said he would be aggressive.

It is all just talk. As long as Keim is in charge, you will never see a super bowl in Arizona. NEVER !

If Bidwill wants to win it all, he needs someone who does what he says. Someone who knows how to build a team with younger vets and draft picks, not of old vets with one year deals.

It won’t happen. But he needs to go. Remember this when we are saying the same things this time next year, just like we did at the end of 2016.

30. By Aaron Allery on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

If I was Bidwill I would hire someone to evaluate all of the draft choices from 2013-17 in the NFC west and for teams that picked before and after Cards to see how successful the picks were. We can all conjecture but it is about data. Same with FA signings. Do an analysis and make an adjustment. The best GMs and Coaches don’t superimpose a “system” that overpowers reason (Kremlin), they make adjustments according to personnel and division/league trends.

31. By clssylssy on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

This year has been horrendous for injuries around the league and the Cards are not the only team on their 3rd string backup so let’s do some comparison shopping to see how Gabbert compares to others out there (& even available when we signed Gabbert. The Vikings Case Keemun (previously a backup w the Rams) has been excellent in getting the Viking to a Division Title & playoffs while Nick Foles (also previously w the Rams) is now leading the Eagles w a better QB
    Rating last week than Carson Wentz. Either of these 3rd stringers could end up in the SB and are in a different category than Gabbert so perhaps part of the issue is we need someone else scouting talent with a better eye. Files is among a select few that includes Drew Brees to throw seven touchdowns in a game. Kinda makes a person wonder!

32. By Aaron Allery on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

33. By mitchaz on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

Who here wants a fresh new approach with a new HC and 3 new QBs (1 veteran of the HC’s choice and 2 draft picks)? I do.

BA’s regime has run its course. It was an exciting 3 year ride, but a disappointing 2 year slide. Carson Palmer was a warrior, but another year of being a sitting duck in the pocket is not in his or the health insurance’s best interests. Drew Stanton did his job as the #2 and was paid handsomely for 5 years as a backup. Blaine Gabbert had a golden opportunity to prove his naysayers wrong, and while he flashed early, he went back to showing why fans in JAX and SF were so eager to see him play somewhere else.

In my opinion, if Steve Keim elects to stick with BA another year and it’s more of the same error-filled, uninspired football, then Keim should not be retained as GM. Both SK’s and BA’s contracts expire at the end of next year (although both have team option clauses in 2019).

If Keim elects to move on from BA and his staff, then he deserves a two year window to see how compatible he is with his new choice for HC. What is unclear, at least from this fan’s perspective, is whether the lack of development of Keim’s draft picks are more on the coaching or more on the scouting. It’s quite possible (and even likely) that BA and his staff are very difficult to draft for.

They do not want to play rookies to begin with—every 1st round draft pick over their 5 years was asked to play a position the player did not play in college (which made their transitions to the NFL all the more daunting and time consuming), and the coaches are adamantly old school, which is an approach that many of today’s athletes are uneasy and unfamiliar with.

34. By Mike on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

Im looking at these comments and I dont think half the people making comments understand football. Without Carson Palmer your move is simple get rid of all your qbs. None of them will take you to the superbowl. You need to go after a qb that can take you to the superbowl and win it. There is one out there and he is young and he can be your franchise qb. A.J Mccarron is the bengals back up. Teams have been trying to figure out how to get him but the bengals wont let him go. The bengals have been trying to play everybody into giving them a #1 draft pick for him. Honestly I would not hesitate. A.J Mccarron is better than ANY qb available in the draft this year. Who ever gets him will end up with the best young qb out there. If Palmer stays then he can take you guys to the superbowl. Hes in a league of his own when you give him protection. You have to protect him. Tom brady or Peyton manning in his prime could not do anything with that oline. Looks like a high school online. Thats where the problem is.

35. By Scott H on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

JTDG –

Unfortunately, my friend, I have no argument to anything you said there.

As stated, there is just no real trust in Keim backing up what he says. Not at this point.

The time has come for this team to be BUILT from the ground up. Many of these older / veteran players should not be here after this year. He is right about one thing – A LOT needs to be done. There needs to be A LOT of turnover on this roster. This team needs to be BUILT. The RIGHT way. That means putting together a truly solid O-line, which is a process that could play out over the next 3 drafts or so. Ditto for the D-line. And there is that little matter of finding a young QB who can be our future.

And we can stop right there. Because we’re already knee deep in aspects of building a team that Keim has little track record of success with. VERY little.

So…..where is the confidence supposed to come from?

Unfortunately, we have little choice but hope Keim CAN do this and do it right. Because it doesn’t look like he is going anywhere.

36. By Cali Card fan on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

If BA does retire, I’m interested in hearing who you guys might like to see as our head coach next year. One name keeps sticking in my mind….Pat Shurmur. I think I would like to see our team with him in charge. I think he got a raw deal in Cleveland a few years back.

37. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

“I apologize to our fans and everybody in our organization,” Keim said during an appearance Monday on 98.7, Arizona’s Sports Station. “Moving forward we have a lot of work to do. It’s going to be a busy offseason.

“We will continue to evaluate this team the last two games and I promise the product on the field in 2018 will finish much stronger.”

Asked if he was willing to make big changes in 2018, Keim was blunt.

“I would say that’s an understatement,” he said.

As I wrote in a previous thread, Keim’s words are meaningless. He promised to be “AGGRESSIVE” in FA this season. Was he???

Now, he promises that “it’s going to be a busy offseason”.and “the product on the field in 2018 will finish much stronger”.

Why should Cards’ fans believe him???

If Mr. Bidwill wants the seats filled in 2019, he will have to relieve Keim after next season!!!

38. By dieselbomb on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

A few here have the situation scoped well. I have a pretty strong bias to share :

I still think Gabbert is better suited to this team than was D.Stanton. Gabbert DOES have his faults, though. Irrespective, The AZ Cardinals need too many things to build the team again to respectability than what can be shared in one post here, today. However …

The best teams – historically – built ” outward ” from the two lines. The Trenches are crucial. So, I’m agreeing with that principle : Build outward from the DLine and the OLine. Currently, our DLine is better than our OLine ( which I think most everyone would agree is a reasonable conclusion ); therefore, put the greatest effort into the rebuilding of the OLine ( without totally forgetting the DLine – should a class act come available ).

The AZ Cardinals need to draft a good QB prospect out of THIS year’s draft – too few current QB’s to draw from by means of Trades or Free Agency. I would urge Palmer to retire from playing to become a QB coach or consultant to work with the QB draftee – give him one season, for sure; possibly more. I’d say give D.Stanton a Gold Watch and a fond farewell. Make Gabbert the Starter for the upcoming season while Leftwich, Gabbert and Palmer bring the new guy along. After the half-way point of the season start platooning the Vet QB with the Rookie QB a series or two to start; longer time on-field by degrees, but with play time each game over the remainder of the season. I’d personally like to see Josh Rosen drafted. We’ve heard other fans name their favorites.

Many positions need to be addressed – too many to discuss here, now. Even some young players need to be washed-out, unfortunately.

But one thing seems necessary : Arians doesn’t like more than One RB. So, I think we need to find and use Guards/Tackles in the backfield. They can be 2nd string OLine players pulling double duty. If they use one OLine guy and one Tight-End in the backfield, they’d have a nice Jumbo set to protect the QB and still have a viable Outlet Pass option.

I believe we need that to happen until Trades, FA and the Draft can finish the OLine build-out.

The need for QB protection is supreme.

Lastly, I wouldn’t mind a new Head Coach. All the foregoing things need to be done, no matter if Arians stays, or we get a new HC. But BA lost the handle on the team sometime during the 2015 season. I don’t see him getting it back. Under BA, in the 2018 season, we might show-up better than we did in 2016/17 as an outcome, but it just doesn’t feel as though the best which DID happen in 2015 will ever come back with this Coaching Staff. I’d like to see a change for the better.

I have my own idea as to who ought to be considered. Something for a later Post.

All done.

39. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

clssylssy,

And, what does all that tell you about the job Keim has done in improving the Cards’ QB situation? Should he be retained???

40. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

Many posters have complained about Gabbert’s performance. Wasn’t Tom Moore supposed to be the QB “Whisperer”?

How has that worked out for Gabbert? Has he improved over the last several games?

41. By dieselbomb on Dec 19, 2017 | Reply

By Aaron Allery on Dec 19, 2017 – Said :
    “I would still keep Carson Palmer and then draft maybe a Lamar Jackson 2nd-3rd round and the rest O-Line. SIgn FA D-Line (May as well drag that ball and chain down the road). Carson Palmer is a lot of things but he is a tough son of a gun who can help teach young QBs a thing or two before he’s done.”

* * * *

Although I understand the desire to obtain a notable college QB, Lamar Jackson has a far too wirey build to last in the AZ Carfdinals current offense. He’d be much closer to Teddy Bridgewater … too much so, to succeed. without being a routine visitor on the IR .

I think he’d be pounded regularly.

42. By Steve C on Dec 20, 2017 | Reply

I think the constant pressure on Gabbert made him hurry his throw and lose focus downfield. I mean cmon, he was getting pressure at least 8 out of 10 times he dropped back to throw. Plus his receivers were dropping TD’s or potential ones.
    I dont see much diff with Stanton, other than he may handle the rush better, with less batted down balls.

43. By Steve C on Dec 20, 2017 | Reply

one more thought. I dont know why BA didnt put Stanton in for the 2nd half of maybe 3rd Qtr. Why ? because it was do or die to keep our playoff chances alive slim as they were. We were outplaying them, so why not? Dont matter all that much Stanton is starting the Giants game, we’re done.

44. By Disappointed UK Cards fan on Dec 20, 2017 | Reply

Thanks Darren,Kyle, Paul, Ron W, beautiful Lisa et al for your all good work this year + all Cards fans for their contributions, whatever your views. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to ALL Cards fans and staff! Watched my 1st ever NFL game at Twickenham v. Rams. Oh dear, it was such a let down after years of suffering from supporting the NFL’s oldest franchise. The younger, faster Rams slaughtered us. Too many washed up vets & not enough keen as mustard youngsters, in my humble opinion, integrate a solid offensive line that can make most QBs look like Brady with time & protection. Younger faster defense can terrorise the opposition. Cards management need to question scouting (are we looking for players with right talent & mental toughness?), physical conditioning (are we preparing our players properly to be less injury free?) & surely a Head Coach should leave play calling to an OC? If we can not get a TD from the one yard line, get a big 350 lb nose tackle to move the pile. Remember the Fridge in the Bears Superbowl ? Look at how Rugby players tackle – they stop the opposition at ‘the line of scrimmage’ & work hard to get the ball overturned. ‘Always go for the ball’ I was taught at school – when Ike was President!! This kind of tackling is really effective rather than the William Gay/ DRC pat down like an airport security screening. Strong dominating defenses win games cf Ravens/Giants Superbowl wins. Get the QB rattled & hello Superbowl ring. A huge thank you to Fitz for years of wonderful selfless future Hall of Fame accomplishment & how great to see Kurt in the Hall of Fame This should be the inspiration for every player priviliged to wear a Cards jersey. Thank you all for reading this & to Michael Bidwill for all your efforts.

45. By mitchaz on Dec 20, 2017 | Reply

Frmr USAF Pilot—

I think that SK has been limited by BA’s QB preferences—in all 5 years BA has had his #1 (Palmer) and #2 (Stanton) in place with no wiggle room for any other QB. Even this year with Gabbert on board, BA turned to Stanton first for 2 games until Stanton hurt his knee.

Keim drafted QB Logan Thomas as BA’s bequest. BA worked Thomas out personally and gave SK the nod.

When BA gave Thomas the quick hook (after 14 months), SK went and traded for Matt Barkley so as to try to avoid the Ryan Lindley situation in 2014. Again, despite Barkley playing reasonably well in PS last year, BA cut Barkley.

BA himself has said you only draft a QB in the 1st round if you intend on playing him.

Word is that SK was high on Mahomes and Watson and tried to move up in the 2017 draft, but could not get an agreement. We don’t know what the other teams wanted, but at least Keim was being proactive.

Keim knows that this year it is imperative that he acquire the QBOF. The timing now is imminent.

For all of the aforementioned reasons, I believe Keim should not be blamed for the current QB situation.

46. By Cory on Dec 20, 2017 | Reply

I understand Arians saying that tanking is BS. It’s an alpha response- especially in football, you never quit, fighting to the last second of every game. But any good general will tell you that sometimes you have to swallow your pride, retreat, and regroup so that you can win the war. As the saying goes- lose the battle to win the war. If tanking was done with that in mind, it’s not BS, but a tactic used as part of a bigger plan for winning.

47. By clssylssy on Dec 20, 2017 | Reply

Mitchaz…
    With all due respect, I have to disagree with you about Keim’s role in our QB woes. It is Steve Keim’s job to build the roster to fit our scheme. As such his choices with the draft have been abysmal with a few decent FA signings, but ignoring glaring needs, not providing replacement players when the team was riddled with season ending injuries to key players & over looking players who would give us an opportunity to be successful. The problem here almost seems like a chicken & egg dilemma, whether our QB problem is b/c of BA or Keim, I believe it’s both. However, Keim has done a miserable job with Identifying & drafting lineman & impact players so IMO we need to start over with a clean slate. We need to bring in some people with cress & proven track records and rebuild from the ground up. Keim had an opportunity this off season and did nothing. In most businesses/companies, two years of losses would mean the door.

48. By JTDG on Dec 20, 2017 | Reply

mitchaz,

“Word is that SK was high on Mahomes and Watson and tried to move up in the 2017 draft, but could not get an agreement. We don’t know what the other teams wanted, but at least Keim was being proactive”

I’m not going to argue whether Keim wanted either guy or not. But I will say, how was he proactive in the draft? He didn’t get the agreement? Why? Houston and KC did. And they were much further down in the draft.

Truth is, if you felt Mahomes or Watson was the future, it would be nothing to trade away next years number 1 to move up, as the Texans and Chiefs did.

We are talking about securing your franchise QB. Something that every team needs to win. If Keim felt either guy was the franchise QB and he had an an opportunity to get them (which we know to be true since both the Bills and Browns traded out) but decided not to go get them, he needs to be fired today. That is a terrible decision.

49. By clssylssy on Dec 21, 2017 | Reply

Addendum:
    I think it’s going to be critical to sign our QB of the future but that brings up new problems in that none of the prospects coming out of college are turn key, & will need someone to develop them which means we are going to need a QB to bridge the gap & work w him, as well as a good QB coach. All three of the Vikings QBs will be free agents at the end of the season & any of them would be an excellent “bridge” although Sam Bradford would probably be the most likely to accept such a role. There will be talent available & a good GM should be able to negotiate something seductive enough w/o burning the entire budget. A lot will depend on the quality of coaching staff & future potential. I doubt anyone will want to sign up to be a crash test dummy without the assurance of a decent Oline.

50. By John S. on Dec 21, 2017 | Reply

Well, I for one hope Carson Palmer is back next year, and hopefully that he is mentoring a new draft pick, or to eventually hand the reins over to a QB acquired by trade/free agency. Even then, perhaps best to pay the Piper moving up in the pick cycle and draft one regardless. Anyway, I personally prefer Stanton over Gabbert, if for nothing else from a WTH/frustration avoidance standpoint so to say, but neither is the future. The Gabbert experiment just didn’t work, and can’t see him losing that poor decision reflex he has with the slightest pressure…it’s not a rookie learning curve issue here after all.

51. By clssylssy on Dec 21, 2017 | Reply

I was just reading that Kurt Warner was open to being an assistant coach at ASU under Herm Edwards and stated he “was always willing to help out wherever he could”. Hmmm, seems odd that the Cards have never approached him to be our QB coach? Perhaps he wasn’t one of Arians guys, HOWEVER somebody like Todd Haley might be able to create some offensive magic w Warner again (and under those circumstances I bet Fitz would be back too!) the stands would also be full again👍

52. By Dan on Dec 22, 2017 | Reply

Where is Smoke and Mirrors Brown at? Is he back on the junk food wagon? Sickle Cell again? Or does he just lack the talent to play WR in the NFL? BINGO! I knew he was toast when he couldn’t run down a safety 90 yards to the endzone. I don’t think anybody calls him smoke anymore, he’s done.

53. By Hammy on Dec 22, 2017 | Reply

This is the list of 18 Quarterbacks who have completed a pass to Larry Fitzgerald during his entire Cardinals career. What a shame to have had so many quarterbacks start for this team since Fitz entered the league back in 04. Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer were God send! Our list is almost as bad as the Cleveland Browns!

Josh McCown

Ryan Lindley

Carson Palmer

Drew Stanton

Blaine Gabbert

54. By Scott H on Dec 23, 2017 | Reply

Hammy –

Unfortunately, you are right. Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer are the only two QB’s – out of a pretty hoffitic list of 18 – that have separated us from being the Cleveland Browns during Fitz’ career.

Our GM’s during that time have done a decent job of drafting talent at other positions during that time. But they have been Cleveland Browns-woeful as it relates to the QB position. And that is about as woeful as you can get.

Straight up, Steve Keim either needs to be the guy who bucks that trend and gets it right with a young QB in the draft – the RIGHT QB for our future – or he needs to be gone so we can get someone in here who CAN find the right guy.

2. Dec 18, 2017: Drew Stanton will replace Blaine Gabbert at QB for Cardinals – Russell Rice