Talking coaches, roster and a podcast

Posted by Darren Urban on January 4, 2018 – 3:18 pm

The Cardinals will be conducting coaching interviews on the road over the next few days as they move toward finding a new football boss. When it comes to the idea that Michael Bidwill pointed out yesterday — that he wanted potential coaches to have a chance to visit Arizona and the team’s Tempe facility and interact with staff — I don’t think we are talking about every single person. My guess is that you’d have to have caught the Cardinals’ eye. If the initial interview doesn’t intrigue Bidwill or GM Steve Keim, I don’t see it going further necessarily. But we will see. It’s always an interesting time of year when a potential coach could end up being busy into February if his team makes it to the Super Bowl, and then having his “new” team having to wait it out. Could that be the Cards?

— My annual roster breakdown can be found right here. It gives the contract status of virtually everyone, so yes, it includes who will be free agents in March.

— Our weekly Cardinals Underground podcast is right here. I believe it’s always a good listen with myself, Kyle Odegard and Paul Calvisi (so if you can, get in the habit of checking us out, assuming you don’t already.) This week’s episode has a special treat at the end: A “Best of Bruce Arians” soundbites montage put together by Jim Omohundro. It was certainly an interesting five years.

Tags: , ,

58 Responses to “Talking coaches, roster and a podcast”

1. By joe holst on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

I wish they could pry Andrew Luck away from Indy.

2. By mitchaz on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

Darren—

Thanks for your annual roster breakdown. Well done, as always…and something to look forward to each year.

3. By JTDG on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

Darren ,

Tell me if you disagree.

Looking at the teams looking for a head coach, you would think the cards are not as attractive as other team. Not because of the organization, but honestly, the hardest thing to find, and every team needs one, is QB.

The Bears have Trubisky – Although I am not high on him, he has some talent and may attract a offensive coach, especially someone who works with QB, to take the job.

The Lions have Stafford and a few good receivers. Although they had injuries, the oline is good when healthy. They also have 49 million to spend in cap room. Land a good RB and they could be set

The Colts all depends on one medical report. Is Luck going to get healthy? They also Have 82 million to spend and could shape the team the way you want it

That leaves the Giants, who have issues. What to do with Manning? But they have the 2nd overall pick and could pair a young QB with OBJ and Sheppard.

Then you have the cardinals. No QBs on roster, Receivers need an over haul, Oline is a mess and only 20 million in cap space unless the get relief from departures. Yes, they have a defense, but are picking in the middle of the round, making it more difficult to get their QB.

Tell me if I am wrong in the way I am looking at this?

4. By Darren Urban on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Coaches

You can look at it any way you want. I’d argue that the Cards, aside from the Giants, might have the best ownership situation right now.

If you take the Bears, you better like Trubisky. Once upon a time, the Cards were a “good” job with a young QB in place. How’d that work out with Leinart and Whiz?

This is a year to year league. This is in many ways the same way the Cards were set up in 2013. 10 wins, 11 wins, 13 wins. So …

5. By JTDG on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

Good point about Whiz/Leinart. The bears very likely could be that.

But seriously, QBs matter. Stafford , Luck, or a top 2 pick seems attractive to me.

Bringing in a defensive mind might make sense. You are never at of it if you have a great defense.

Pairing a new coach with a young drafted QB; Are we looking at it all wrong?

After all, a great defense and a solid run game could win those 10 games if your QB doesn’t turn it over.

6. By JTDG on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

I guess if you went the way of defense, and hired Patricia, you would want that young CB.

Would it shock everyone if the cards went with Mikhah Fitzpatrick or Joshua Jackson (Two CBs) at 15 ?
    And then bring in a Case Keenum type that doesn’t turn the ball over?

7. By NYCardinals212 on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

You’re awesome. Thanks Darren.

8. By Craig on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

I think David Johnson has the be the offense. Please focus on the offensive line. One fist round pick on the line and he turned out pretty good. Cardinals need to draft offensive lineman with the first pick. Sign Blaine Gabbert if possible to manage the offense. He doesn’t have to be great. David Johnson needs to be great. A much better O-line is what this team needs. Not a new quarterback to be killed behind a mediocre line.

9. By D on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

I wonder if Mr. B will have issues getting to interview those 2 NE coaches, blizzard shutting down places, (airports) maybe it will clear by Sat.

JTDG
    It would surprise me at 15 if they went CB. I think they can Resign Williams and add a CB in Round 3. My guess if they stay at 15 and not go QB, that the pick would be OL or WR. Good conversation to have a month after free agency on what holes have been filled.

10. By ChrisG on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

Looking at the roster breakdown, there are only two UFA’s that I would hope they keep aroumd, Bynes and T. Wiliams.

11. By mitchaz on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

JTDG—

I think the Cardinals’ HC job is at the top of the list.

MB put it perfectly—would you rather have a QB in place (that was some other coach’s guy) or have a hand in picking the QB you want?

MB has given his coaches the support to accommodate the HC’s wishes and SK will do what it takes to trade for or sign the QBs the HC wants, as was the case for 5 years with Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton.

Now, you and i and others wish BA had not boxed the QB position in all this time with CP and DS leaving only scout team reps for a rookie or young QB, but SK gave BA what he wanted. SK even drafted Logan Thomas per BA’s wishes.

I know you are not a big fan of Steve Keim, but the guy is a tireless worker and he’s humble. If I am a coach who wants a GM on my side who will work his butt off, I would love to work with SK. SK checks his ego at the door.

12. By mitchaz on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

A Swing for the Fences:

HC: John DeFilippo (PHI)
    DC: Vic Fangio (CHI)
    STC: Joe Marciano (DET)

QB: Kirk Cousins—UFA (WAS) (Quinton Flowers, South Florida—Round 4)
    RB David Johnson
    FB Dimitri Flowers, Oklahoma—Round 5
    WR Larry Fitzgerald
    WR Anthony Miller, Memphis—Round 2
    WR/TE Ricky Seals-Jones
    TE Trey Burton—UFA (PHI)
    LT D.J. Humphries
    LG Senio Kelemente—UFA (NO)
    C Billy Price, Ohio St.—Round 1
    RG Josh Klein—UFA (TEN)
    RT Jared Veldheer (pay cut)

LDE Robert Nkemdiche
    NT Corey Peters
    RDE Olsen Pierre
    LOLB Markus Golden
    LILB Zach Brown—UFA (WAS)
    RILB Jerome Baker, Ohio St.—Round 3
    ROLB Chandler Jones
    LCB Patrick Peterson
    SS Budda Baker
    FS Antione Bethea
    RCB Kyle Fuller—UFA (CHI)
    NLB Haason Reddick
    NS Armani Watts, Texas A&M—Round 3
    NCB Deatrick Nichols, South Florida—Round 5
    DT Mitch Unrein—UFA (CHI)

LS Aaron Brewer
    P Andy Lee
    K Phil Dawson or Eddie Pineiro, Florida—Round 6

13. By Dr. G. on Jan 4, 2018 | Reply

Well, all my fingers are crossed. I have 2 words for the head coach search::

Matt Patricia…

This guy has been successful on both sides of the ball all over the place…doing it all. This has been my guy for a long time now…hoping he, MB and SK feel like it’s a blended formula for success when they meet…a NEW TRIO…! He’ll make SK better!

I also think he can get along with anyone and help draft and excute winning plans on both Offense & Defense. And he will expect accountability at every position. Previously, our D especially under Bowles was on auto pilot. We need a HC for the whole team.

I like others, but he is far and away the best pick for many reasons…if I listed them all, the post would be longer than Mitch’s…!

14. By dynosoar on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

Darren and JTDG, good back and forth you have going here. Good thoughts.

I don’t have anything to offer because I was expecting (as I’ve said a week ago) that BA, Palmer and Fitz would all be here next year, so I haven’t looked at all at potential HCs.

As to a QB, get Drew Breeze (if it’s possible). He’d be an awesome compliment to Larry and David. And if you could have two RBs in the backfield the way the Saints have currently, with the option of passing, man this team would be unstoppable (unless they have the injuries we’ve seen this season.

Like I said several months ago, this team, with the injuries, if they could gel would be a formidable team. They gelled just three games too late or we’d be in the playoffs. It is what it is.

I trust Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim. We’ll do next season what the Rams have done this season. The NFC West will be the strongest again.

15. By Jon on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

JTDG: I think they will bring in a Keenum/Tyrod Taylor type AND trade up to draft our new franchise QB. Going to be a make or break offseason for Keim. This will be the year and draft that officially defines his tenure. His track record has been mixed at best on draft days. Its now or never

16. By Eric G on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

JTDG,

You could also look at it like this: with no QB, the impending coach gets to decide who he wants and can ask whether Keim and Bidwill will trade up to get the guy he wants or trade for him. Either way, he gets to mold the most important position as he wants. So, that may intrigue some.

Right now, I like John DeFilippo and Matt Patricia because they are young. I wish they would interview Josh McDaniels too.

I don’t like Schwartz because he’s already had a chance and went 29-51. I don’t want Bettcher as HC as I think he is predictable.

They made the right call with BA, so hopefully Michael and Steve make the right call again.

17. By D on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

We fans need to be ready for some big adjustments as who will be the Starting QB in Sept. Let’s be real, none of he top 3-5 QBs coming out in the draft are ready to start and AZ most likely won’t have the ability to draft the top QB’s. So, we all need to look at the QB free agent Class for 2018 since Mr. Keim doesn’t have any QB’s under contract.

I am already hearing B. Osweiler is a fav for one named OC that could be working here…Nooooooo!

1- D. Brees (he isn’t leaving the bayou)
    2- K. Cousins -not worth the 25-30 mil price tag
    3- S. Bradford – only would be happy with him if P. Shurmur was HC
    4- J. Cutler–no thanks
    5- J. McCown -probably be a assist coach or stay with Jets in 2018
    6- R. Fitzpatrick- my neighbor in Gilbert
    7- C. Keenum – see my Bradford comments
    8-T. Bridgewater- probably be the MN starter
    9- Cards Stanton and Gabbert…….I am Already Missing C. Palmer…

Many other career named backup QB’s available….not a Stellar free agent QB class..

Don’t even start with our AZ Defense….personal, mostly LB’s for AZ can’t
    move to a 4-3 Def..Golden is only a 3-4 end…would have to think Keim would tell the new HC that AZ needs to stick with a 3-4 D or it will take 2 years to bring in the right 4-3 D players….

18. By Big Ken on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

Darren thanks for the ‘Breaking Down..” article. Great perspective.

19. By faster on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

bettcher, munchak and buckner,

AND

some special teams and strength and conditioning gurus.

and then i want to be surpprised by the qb choice …… i still dream of cam ….

20. By JTDG on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

I was reading and people kept saying that if Pat Shurmur was hired, he would bring Bradford with him instead of Keenum.
    I couldn’t figure out why.

So I looked up Bradford with the Vikings;
    17 games, 72% comp, 4200 yards, 23 TDs , 5 ints, QB rating of 101

So, I thought, what are the pros and cons of Sam Bradford.

Pros;
    30 years old
    big guy with decent arm
    62.5 completion rate
    101 TDs to only 57 ints.
    Experienced with 7 years as a starter
    With a run game and a good defense, doesn’t have to win games. Just manage them.

Cons;
    Only played 16 games twice in 7 years, so he has an injury history
    In spite of his personal success, his teams were 34-45-1 over his career.
    Not mobile enough to play behind this line.

So, would you be happy if Bradford came here?

21. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

Darren –

Do you know if Bettcher – or any other Cards coaches or coordinators – are scheduled to interview for other teams?

22. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Bettcher

I do not know.

23. By D on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

Wouldn’t mind Buckner as DC…love the guy’s passion

Darren- during the BA press conference, I remember Mr. B saying he would honor all of the assist coaches contracts..does that mean he will be paying all those contracts out regardless where they are coaching next year? That sure will make him elevate on the “owner” list of the coaches around league…or is that typically done by all owners? BA did have one of the larger staffs around…

24. By Darren Urban on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

D —

RE: Contracts

Coaching contracts, including those of the assistants, are usually guaranteed.

25. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks. I find it hard to believe anyone other than Bettcher would be drawing any real interest right now. As a HC, I don’t even know if Bettcher is on anyone’s list.

26. By Scott H on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

Man…..here it is Friday and we have no “Friday Before” blog to look forward to. Sad. I hate it when the season is over.

Maybe a “Friday Before The off-Season” blog, perhaps?

Darren, if you go with this, I want credit for the title!

Looks like the Cardinals have quite an extensive list of guys they plan to interview. For me, there are no block-buster names out there. Sure, some distinguished coordinators but no one with a head coaching pedigree. I see Schwartz on the list but he was NOT impressive during his stint with the Lions. I think I would pass on him ( unless he wants to come here as D-coordinator, which ain’t gonna happen because it’s a lateral move for him ).

Patrician ( spelling? ) might be the one who interests me the most. I hear people getting excited about Defilippo but…..if not for Carson Wentz, do we even know who this guy is?? Wentz is a tremendously talented QB. Not to discount Defilippo’s role in that, but do we think he can do that with any QB he touches?? I wonder. Keep in mind, he’s not bringing Wentz with him.

That deal Oakland gave Gruden is ridiculous. 10 YEARS??? Really? I say there is no way Gruden can last that long anywhere. He’s too intense. He will either burn out or he’ll burn out everyone around him. But I won’t miss him on MNF. His intensity act is just too much. He’s so switched on all the time, he doesn’t even know how to turn it off anymore. Maybe it’s good he’s getting back to coaching again. He needs an outlet. The broadcast booth wasn’t enough for him.

To continue my ramble…..seeing as Palmer is done and it seems Gabbert is probably not going to figure into our future ( I mean, if he was, there was no sense in benching him with two games left )….I really do hope they will bring Stanton back. No, he is not our future at QB. We know this. But as a bridge between right now and whoever our future QB is to be, well, why the hell not? Seriously. Why not?

Let’s assume that we are drafting a QB this year who may not be ready to roll come week one….so? Why not Stanton? Stanton can keep us competitive….or, as competitive as we’re going to be in 2018, anyway. The team is re-building. period. Face it, we’re going to enter 2018 projected to finish last in the NFC West. So? Why not Stanton? I have another reason for suggesting this – Stanton would probably be an excellent tutor for a young QB. Back-up QB’s tend to be good teachers. As back-ups, they get used to watching from the perspective of a coach and becoming another set of eyes and ears for the starting QB. That is often their gift. Hey, we know from Carson Palmer himself how important Stanton was to him. So?

2018 is going to be a bridge season, maybe the first of a few bridge seasons. As such, I have no problem with a bridge QB like Drew Stanton with a solid veteran presence who will be a good tutor for a young QB. I mean, if not Stanton….then who? Nick Foles? Two words – HELL, NO.

No more veterans ( ala Alex Smith ), no Teddy Bridgewaters, no Sam Bradfords, no Kirk Cousins, etc. Heck, I might have been OK with taking a chance on Jimmy G but the 49ers already did and it looks like that could be our loss. What we need is to find our Russell Wilson / Carson Wentz IN THE DRAFT and build around him.

So, keep Stanton around for some stability in 2018 ( we’re not going anywhere in 2018,anway ) and do WHATEVER you need to do to get into position to get the QB you believe is the RIGHT guy for our future.

Let the future begin!

27. By rio on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

Mr.BIDWELL. don’t hire jim Schwartz, he is the loser the lions fired when they had a very team , he could not win with them, also sir, he is a terrible DC look the eagles have a real bad pass defense giver up 565 yards to giants a couple weeks ago, when new York had no regular pass receivers.
    this man is not a good DC, and not a head candidate for the cards.
    Go Cards

28. By D on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

If M.Mccarthy moves on from GB, he’d be my First Choice

29. By CARDS62 on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

A coaches best friends are a strong defense, great offensive line, solid running game, and a smart QB who does not turn the ball over and can make some plays.

I just do not think we are that far away and money should free up over the next few years. We need funds for free agency along with strong drafts the next two years.

A young QB best friend will be a strong offensive line and then a strong running game. We just have to get our line correct this year with my boy at C, Price from OSU as a start. I even think we would be okay bring Veldheer back as long as we play him at left tackle and Humpries at right tackle. Draft Jones from OSU at OT in round 4 as a backup. Iupati has to be gone and I am okay if we bring Boone back. We are set at running back with Johnson and Peterson if Peterson will be happy being a backup which will also make FItz happy if Peterson is on the team.
    We also need a few wide receivers which is why the draft can not solve all of our needs for 2018.

We also have to get Chandler Jones some help on defense either at LB or DL and of course we need another strong CB.

I will also not be surprised if our DC is back as DC especially if we hire an offensive minded head coach.

GO Cards!

30. By Cactus jeff on Jan 5, 2018 | Reply

Trade David Johnson or PP and draft a QB. I don’t want to watch a boring defense team that at best goes 10-6. Rather watch paint dry.

31. By clssylssy on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

Darren & staff…
    Thanks for putting together “The Best of Bruce Arians”. Funny stuff, very entertaining & I bet enough was edited out to make up an entire CD!

32. By Scott H on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

Cactus –

Assuming you’re serious….how does what you’re saying make sense? You don’t want to watch a boring defensive team BUT you want to trade our whole offense in David Johnson…..interesting.

Well, if you trade the best RB / offensive weapon in the NFL ( two years into his career ), then you are going to end up with very little offense and a team that is not only boring but pretty inept. Yeah….lots of excitement there.

Not to mention that “a boring defensive team that goes 10-6” will almost certainly be a playoff team. And…..you find that boring??? Call me old fashion, but that would sure as hell be OK with me.

Ever heard the adage that defense wins championships?

33. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

New coach makes roster composition complete guess except for about 25 obvious

34. By TucsonTim on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

All this talk about drafting a QB

People, the most likely “good” out come will be Blaine Gabbert. or Matt Leinart. Almost as likely is a QB like Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf. There just is no sure thing in the draft.

Then consider how well Keiim has done with his first round picks. We would be much more likely to end up with a JaMarcus Russel than a Peyton Manning.

Who did the alleged QB whisperer draft/develop in 5 years?

Do what has worked.

Sign a proven veteran FA or trade picks for experienced proven players. Trade down from expensive risky early picks for additional late round picks.

35. By John S. on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

I’m not so sure the Cards souldn’t make a move for Alex Smith at QB over other possibilities out there, and think he would fit into our offense well. At 33 he’s playing at a high level, an experienced vet, and could help a lot while we draft/develop a good rookie; this year preferably, or next if that is what it has to be, and while keeping Stanton signed as the viable back-up.
    The Chiefs have Patrick Mahomes sitting on the bench behind Smith, and that won’t wash for long there at all; he’s ready to play and they want him in as well… and Smith will also cost them $17 mill next year. I’m sure the Chiefs would like to spend that payroll money elsewhere given the Mahomes option, but probably will play ‘hard to get,’ all while really wanting to trade him now. The issue of course is what would a trade for him cost us, if it would be worth it or not depending if it a higher price then we would like. The Broncos might be willing to offer more than the Cards though, and can almost bet Elway wants him pretty bad too.. in/if any competitive bidding were in place…?
    Anyway, I’m sure Smith sees the writing on the wall in KC as well, looking over his shoulder so to say, and would see Arizona as an attractive move for himself to close out his career on a winning team too…

36. By Scott H on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

A bit embarrased to admit but I only just got around to watching the Larry Fitzgerald Football Life episode last night. My wife – not really a Cardinals fan, she just roots for me – watched it, too. She is a breast cancer survivor and she was truly touched by how much his mom meant to him and all that he does to support that cause on-going.

Wow, what a program. Amazing. What I realized is that as much as football means to him and how much he has devoted himself to playing the game at a level of excellence, football is clearly ONLY a part of this man’s life. He’s been to 96 countries, yet you get the feeling that only after his NFL career is over is he REALLY gonna start to see the world!

Darren has said many times that after Fitz retires from football, he is going to disappear from the game. I always found that hard to believe but after seeing this program…..I think I believe it now. And that is not a bad thing. But you just get a sense that he has no interest in coaching and no interest in being in the media. Although…..wasn’t he a communications major??

But it is a shame that this great man and his football life has not included a SB win.

My continued kudos to the people who create these Football Life programs. Sure, they’re easy to enjoy when they are about our players / coaches, but the fact is, I’ve enjoyed every one of them I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen just about all of them.

37. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Fitz future

I feel like, having known Fitz as long as I have, I have a pretty good pulse. He wants to be a (wealthy) owner. He definitely won’t coach. And he doesn’t want to be Tony Romo or Troy Aikman or Rodney Harrison. He wants to be Bill Gates. Or Warren Buffett.

38. By Steve on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

Darren: I think the dark horse candidate could be Matt Patricia, did he interview with the team today as far as you know?

39. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Patricia

I believe it’s happening this weekend, from what I have seen.

40. By Vinny on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

If Cards don’t draft QB in 1st rd, hopefully they aquire Alex Smith from the Chiefs.

41. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

Keim is Rod Graves 2.0.

His draft selections have been, to say it kindly, below average.

Regardless of who the new Head Coach and his assistants are, it will make no difference in the end-of-year standings.

42. By D on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

Good timing for Mr. Keim to make a trade play for QB A. Smith. He could play for 2-3 more years until a drafted QB is groomed and ready. His cap for 2018 is $17 mil and is a free agent in 2019, could offer a year or two extension if needed. Keep AZ good defense a 3-4 and add a CB, who can keep games close, add some Offensive talent around D. Johnson and Smith, like WRs, a TE and some OL upgrades.

43. By creditcard on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

Obviously a QB is super-duper high on he Cards list. The team does have options:

Resign Stanton
    Resign Gabbert
    Sign Alex Smith
    Sign Teddy Bridgewater
    Draft a young QB, hopefully Josh Allen

Again, the above list are OPTIONS. The below list are considered very POOR OPTIONS:

Do not entertain drafting Baker Mayfield — poor character, and look at his Rose Bowl performance — awful, the Georgia freshman way outplayed him.

Pass on Cousins, Bradford, Cutler, McCown and Fitzpatrick. Keenum will not be available.

44. By creditcard on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

I’m hoping that AMOS JONES for some weird and freakish reason gets signed on by either the Rams, Seahawks, or 49ers for their special teams coach.

45. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

My choices for the next Cards QB’s is Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, and a draft choice. Taylor has a good scrambling capability, as does every QB in the NFC West now. Cousins isn’t that good, nor worth $25-30m/yr.
    Whoever the Cards get for QB, they MUST get an O-Line that can block!!!!
    AP should be retained, even though DJ will be back.
    I have no clue for the next HC……

Darren- How many draft picks do the Cards have this year including the comp picks???

46. By Darren Urban on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

NJAZ —

RE: Comp picks

Comp picks aren’t assigned until March.

47. By Tyler on Jan 6, 2018 | Reply

Thanks BA for the years of great coaching. Thanks Carson for putting together a few great seasons.

Anyways kind of called the BA hiring before and it was an easy to see good hire. Kind of up in the air who the next coach should be? I’d look at Jon Fox, Harbough, wade Phillips, and Chip Kelly if we want good offence off the back, or Wade if we want to hit the rams hard. ( don’t like his fire) Would like to see a coach willing to yell at the refs for terrible calls, we have had a fair share of badly called football games. Anyways thanks for keeping the blog going and hope we make the playoffs next year.

48. By Scott H on Jan 7, 2018 | Reply

Darren –

RE: Fitz

You say he wants to be an owner….might owning an NFL team interest him?

As Aeneas Williams did back in 2008…..if the Cards were to win an NFC title in the future, do you think they might ask Fitz to make an appearance to present the trophy? And do you think he would be receptive?

See, that’s what I have such a hard time believing….that after all these years with this team – and as well as they have treated him – we’ll never see him again.

49. By Darren Urban on Jan 7, 2018 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Fitz

We’ll see him. When he goes into the ROH. When he goes into the HoF. But regularly, I don’t think so. Things can change, but that’s how I see it right now.

50. By Cactus jeff on Jan 7, 2018 | Reply

Scott H
    I am serious, here is why, David Johnson is Matt Forte in his prime. That gave gave the Bears one playoff appearance in 7 years. They went to the SuperBowl 2 years prior to his arrival. Great running backs are shiny objects but way overrated. Build around a passing game then add a RB.

51. By Cactus jeff on Jan 7, 2018 | Reply

Furthermore
    Trade Chandler Jones Now!! Get max value for him.

52. By Eric G on Jan 7, 2018 | Reply

JTDG,

No, I don’t take Bradford because of the injuries and his immobility. I want a mobile QB dangit, at least one that can scramble outside the pocket a bit. I don’t take Keenum because this year is a fluke. Plenty of QBs that stink have one great year, look at Nick Foles. You could say the same about Stanton. 11-6 as a starter, but none of us would want him as the franchise guy.

I, quite frankly, don’t want any of the potential QB free agents. I’d be livid if they signed a younger guy to be the franchise guy. I say keep Stanton but draft the franchise QB.

53. By Scott H on Jan 7, 2018 | Reply

Cactus Jeff –

RE: Trade Chandler Jones

You must be kidding. After the contract they just gave him?? Read my lips – he’s not going anywhere. Neither is David Johnson.

Great RB’s are over-rated? Really? Ask the Saints how over-rated they are.

54. By Scott H on Jan 7, 2018 | Reply

Darren –

As long as he makes an appearance once in awhile, that’s cool. He’s clearly too busy with travel / golf / other things to be hanging around.

Can I ask, do you think you will maintain contact with him after his playing career is over? Does he ever text you from the places he visits?

55. By Darren Urban on Jan 7, 2018 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Fitz contact

Will I? I doubt it. Fitz rarely texts me, and I rarely text him. I don’t want to abuse my access.

56. By cactus jeff on Jan 8, 2018 | Reply

Yep, What a great game. The Jaguars v Bills. Teams built around a great RB and defense. Just what Scott H is advocating. I know at least they made the playoffs, thanks but no thanks,

57. By Scott H on Jan 8, 2018 | Reply

Darren –

But Fitz HAS tackled you during practice, hasn’t he? My man, I would consider that quite an honor!

58. By Scott H on Jan 9, 2018 | Reply

Cactus Jeff –

Dude, why don’t you stop projecting YOUR thoughts onto me.

Bills / Jaguars? Just what I’M advocating? Um, perhaps if you actually read my posts and didn’t make up my thoughts for me, you’d see that I’ve already said that was a lousy game between two teams that didn’t really belong in the playoffs.

Let me speak for myself, please. Because what I want and what YOU seem to think I want are nowhere near the same thing.

In YOUR simple way of doing things, apparently teams can’t have a great defense / great RB AND a great QB. Yeah….brilliant. Are ya watching the Saints at all?

What I AM advocating for, since you don’t have a clue, is KEEPING the great RB we already have AND the great pass rusher we already have ( BOTH in their prime, BTW ) and then finding our QB in the draft.

In reality as we know it, it CAN be done. Whether this F/O can actually make it happen…..maybe another story.