Arians: “Too much to live for to die on the sideline”

Posted by Darren Urban on January 9, 2018 – 10:16 pm

Bruce Arians was doing the media tour Tuesday, talking with both Rich Eisen and Colin Cowherd a week after retiring and mentioning he’d like to get into the media business. I can’t imagine someone won’t be willing to give him a chance. During his appearance on the “Rich Eisen Show,” Arians talked again about retirement, touching on familiar subjects with some more detail.

— He admitted his 2016 health scares “were eye opening.” He didn’t want cancer to drive him out of the game, and he was able to return. But there was concern for both himself and his wife, Chris.

“The stress of being a coach’s wife, of watching my health go up and down with wins and losses,” Arians said. “I knew I was done too, I was, ‘Yeah, you’re right, there’s too much to live for to die on the sideline.”

— He reiterated he knew he was done in the last game in Seattle when Phil Dawson made his field goal and then Blair Walsh missed. But he acknowledged the family had talked about it as far back as the weekend after the Thursday night home loss to Seattle. “My wife, she was done,” Arians said. “God bless her, 47 years in this business is enough.” (Arians had previously written he was considering staying one more year and renting an apartment if his wife went back to their “forever home” in Georgia.)

— He remains bullish on the Cardinals being a contender, and that GM Steve Keim will find the right coach and make the right roster moves. “I think the Cardinals can win a championship,” he said. “The talent is here.”

— That said, he admitted he was hoping defensive coordinator James Bettcher (who interviewed last week for the head coach opening) was the one who ends up with the job. Calling himself “selfish,” Arians said “I want to be able to go back and be a small part of it” and apparently he feels that would be the case if Bettcher was his replacement.

— As for Larry Fitzgerald, Arians said he thinks he will come back “with the right situation.” It isn’t a surprise that it would include the right coach and system, and the right quarterback.

Tags: ,

33 Responses to “Arians: “Too much to live for to die on the sideline””

1. By faster on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

the best for ba, especially for his healt.
    may he get another 47 years with a nice media job.

about fitz, we will have to wait for the hiring of the hc, and the oc and then some days.

2. By Amir on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

I will miss BA… 😦

3. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

Arians: “Too much to live for to die on the sideline”. Of course that hyperbole belies the truth, that BA over indulged and failed to stay in shape himself. LOVE BA but that one was is bs…

4. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

Well, I’m glad he didn’t die on the sidelines! Stating it THAT way may be a bit much but given his age and the health problems he had last year…..we get it.

He’s done his time coaching and if it was affecting his wife that much and he knew she was ready to be done, then he did the right thing. I couldn’t think of a better reason.

Yeah, I’m gonna miss him.

Hey, he and Chuck Pagano can get together and do some fishing or play some golf. They both deserve it.

5. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

I’m just seeing where the Seahawks have fired their OC and may be doing the same with their DC.

Hmmmm….wonder if there would be any interest in either of those guys in those same roles here. I’d be OK with it. Never hurts to have some inside info for your division rivals.

6. By Ben on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

I was critical of BA through the season…mainly for not firing Amos…. but I will miss him. Really loved BA, his openness and the love of the game and players. I feel like he really made us contenders and put us on the right path.

BA you will be missed.

Will always wear my BA hats and shirts proudly.

7. By Robert A Hajnal on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

Lets keep Bettcher and Goodwin. Not only great assistants, but know this team and would be invaluable in helping the new coach. Bettcher did his best coaching job this year! Goodwin, without Johnson, and Palmer gave us a shot to win every week. Here stability does not breed contempt, it enhances a winning attitude. They have enough of “Arians” in them to help a new coach. Familiarity does not cause contempt, it strengthens legitimacy here!!!

8. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

Am hearing reports that Patricia is likely to sign on as the Giants head coach…..

9. By creditcard on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

Bruce Arians just proved that doing the right thing, is always best. Health over job is the right thing. Family over employment is the right thing.

A lesson learned that we should all acknowledge.

10. By D on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

This love affair with BA will put the new HC in a tough spot.

Let’s be honest, fans don’t know many of the coaches interviewing for the job here in AZ and when and if one gets the position, most will be disappointed…like it’s been said before; N. Saban, J. Harbaugh, J. Johnson won’t be doing a press conference in Tempe saying how we have a winner in town…

It’s the first time here in AZ that the previous coach wasn’t fired….

11. By patrick on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

The Cardinals assistant coaches are not under contract?
    Goodwin can sign anywhere?
    I thought you had said the Cardinals are honoring the final year, but they were all released to find jobs elsewhere before a new coach decides whether to keep any?

12. By Darren Urban on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

Patrick —

RE: Assistant contracts

What I said was that coaches’ contracts are guaranteed, so if they do not have employment elsewhere, they are paid until their current contract expires. I do not know exactly how many of the assistants still have contracts for 2018. I am sure many have been allowed to look for other jobs. That doesn’t mean they all have. Michael Bidwill did not announce who might stay.

13. By Scott H on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

A very fitting photo for this blog. Arians was truly a Drew Stanton believer. And with good reason – Stanton delivered more often than not. That win in Seattle might have been the last for either as a Cardinal. If it was, they sure went out with a bang!

Good for both of them.

Well, it WAS the last for Arians…we know that.

14. By clssylssy on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

I see where Goodwin is interviewing w the Raiders & Bengals (not too shabby), and while I am hoping for a fresh beginning, SK doesn’t strike me as somebody to get out of his comfort zone & try anything too innovative or different. So, I guess Alex Smith in Arizona makes sense as a comfortable alternative to Carson Palmer.
    Thinking back to what Mr. Bidwill said about not having a QB being an attractive plus for a prospect, it would seem that everybody isn’t operating from the same script. Most good HCs want to hire their own staff and recruit players they feel will perform best in their scheme so this entire process seems a little azz backwards.
    Knowing BA is campaigning for Bettcher doesn’t surprise me and if that’s been the plan, it would be nice if the FO would be respectful of us long suffering fans, and just be honest about it.
    I will be shocked if Larry returns, as most sportswriters have the Cards dead last in the West next season & that’s not the attractive scenario I believe BA was referring to.

15. By georgiebird on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

BA lasted longer than I thought he would. He had a nice getting out point. The NFC West can turn into a monster division and the Cards will have to be real good to survive the 6 division games. Sort of like NFC East of years gone by for the Cards.
    Keim needs to start evaluating players, a lot better than he has in the past. Cards can’t afford many mis-steps or they will end up in the basement of the West-for an extended stay. New coach, new QB, staff changes, many player moves, FA and the draft- needless to say, Keim’s career is at a crossroads.

16. By Richard S on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

Alex Smith would definitely be better than a yet to be determined first round draft pick. I thought he was pretty good in San Fran and seeing them send him off to KC didn’t make a lot of sense to me. Good TD to interception ratio. Very good at ball control. Hopefully BA will have many years left to enjoy the time left to him. As to his desire to get into the media, hopefully he’ll do a better job of watching his language than I heard Dizzy Dean did as a baseball announcer did with his “He’s kissing her on the strikes and . . . . routine.

17. By Cardinale on Jan 10, 2018 | Reply

Hey Darren-

I heard Harold Goodwin had a few job interviews with other teams. Have you heard if Amos Jones has had any interviews for a special teams coordinator position with another team?

18. By Big Ken on Jan 11, 2018 | Reply

Lots of rumors, Pat Shumur as the Cardinals top candidate and that he’d bring in Case Keenum. I’m liken this one.

19. By dobie on Jan 11, 2018 | Reply

Personally I don’t think Battcher is a great defense coach

20. By JTDG on Jan 11, 2018 | Reply

So, here is what is interesting that is happening in Seattle;

I’m sure most have seen the OC is out, the OL Coach is out, the QB coach is out, and the DC is out in Seattle. This is a huge shake up for a team that has been to the super bowl twice, winning once in the last 4-5 years and in the playoffs since 2012.

Looking at the Hawks cap, they only have 14 million and have several key FAs to sign, starting with TE’s Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson and receiver Paul Richardson, who account for 20 receiving TDs this year and 115 catches for 1400 yards. In fact Graham was #1 in TDs, and #2 in catches for Seattle and was voted to the Pro Bowl.

Needless to say, the Hawks have some cap issues to deal with. They can push money into 2019 to fit a couple FAs in, but that would mean one thing, some vets need to go.

With this turn over in Seattle, look for 2 cap casualties possibilities. Richard Sherman (saves 11 million) and Earl Thomas (saves 8+ million) in 2018 and 24 million in 2019. They both are in their last year of their respected contracts, and both are approaching 30.

If Seattle decides to keep both, then they must get very creative to keep Richardson and Graham. Without the two receivers, half of Russell Wilson’s passing is gone.

With coaches departing and cap issues, Seattle has some challenges ahead. I think their days of dominating the division ended this year with the rise of the Rams, and with the way the Niners drafted and traded for players, this division could be flipped on its head. What the cards do in this offseason will determine if they can still be a contender in this division or not.

21. By Big Ken on Jan 11, 2018 | Reply

You have to wonder if the Cardinals had moved up last year to draft Mahomes or Watson would Arians have retired?

22. By Scott H on Jan 11, 2018 | Reply

Folks, all I said was that I heard reports that Patricia was likely to sign on with the Giants. And I get thumbs downs for that?? For sharing info?

Let me repeat, I HEARD this report. I didn’t WRITE the damn thing. Gimme a break.

23. By Joe C. on Jan 11, 2018 | Reply

Clssy, you never surprise me. If the cardinals were to sign a HC (first!) who wanted Smith and got Smith, they would be instant SB contenders. Yes, they would still have some o-line and CB2 gaps to fill. But with FA and the draft there is no reason they can fill those. You can’t say the cards with Smith and some key FA draftees, are any worse then the Rams were to start this year. I didn’t see any prognasticators calling for the rams to win. We see the Seahawks changing coaches and their cap issues. We’ll see on the niners and the Rams could very well come back to earth.

24. By D on Jan 11, 2018 | Reply

JTDG

My guess is that both Sherman and Graham will be released. I also believe Chancellor and Avril won’t be back either. Seattle will fall back in the W/L column, but still has a better chance than finishing above AZ in 2018 because R. Wilson will be better than AZ’s 2018 starting QB. (unless Keim pulls off a miracle and signs D. Brees). I know, dreaming is free…

25. By creditcard on Jan 11, 2018 | Reply

I keep visiting this site, anticipating the announcement of a new Head coach ….

26. By patrick on Jan 11, 2018 | Reply

Do you see the Cardinals waiting to sign some of their own free agents until after input from a new head coach, or still possible to get a few signed?

27. By Darren Urban on Jan 11, 2018 | Reply

Patrick —

RE: FAs

Free agency doesn’t start until March 14, so yes, I would anticipate a few guys potentially signing extensions before then.

28. By clssylssy on Jan 12, 2018 | Reply

Joe C…
    Also, in case you weren’t paying attention, we have a “few” more holes to fill other than the OLINE & CB2, like RECEIVERS (in the event we get a QB) with or without Larry. Our offense is pretty thin except for RBs. If you recall, we didn’t hardly have enough players for that last drive even w guys pulled out of position to play TE. There is only so much $$ to go around and even w the draft, this offense is pretty shabby. And you are comparing us to the Rams?

29. By clssylssy on Jan 12, 2018 | Reply

Joe…
    In case you were wondering, the first part of my post seems to have been “lost” again🤔

30. By Joe C. on Jan 12, 2018 | Reply

The Rams at the beginning of 2017 were expected to compete with the niners for the bottom of the West. That’s what I’m comparing the Cards to. And in my opinion the defense is fine. With a decent QB and oline (areas I mentioned need help) our RBs, WRs, and TE’s are adequate and I didn’t say to ignore those positions. No team is 100% solid at all 22 positions to start the year. The cards cuoboard is not bare in regards to existing talent. They have extra draft picks and cap space. If only they had a ‘football” guy as GM maybe they could address some of their issues.

31. By Joe C. on Jan 12, 2018 | Reply

Clssy, I don’t want to get in a back and forth with you personally. 5 of the 6 NFC teams in the playoffs this year were not in them last year. Teams rise and teams fall. One of my core football beliefs is the offense will succeed or fail based on the o-line. Charles White led the NFL in rushing yards the year after Eric Dickerson was traded. So if the 0-line is sufficiently addressed and, in my opinion, a CB2 is found, the rest is comparatively easy. With the comp picks and cap space Keim can maneuver. One thing that concerns me is trading to many assets to move up for a risky QB. We’d be better off building the roster and finding a decent vet QB.

32. By clssylssy on Jan 13, 2018 | Reply

Joe C….
    You may be surprised to know that I agree with most of what you said. A good GM always builds from his lines (offense & defense) which is something we’ve never really done. The fact is, we are going to have a lot of holes with many of our players becoming FAs on top of some real glaring needs, especially on offense (all but Chad Williams & Larry will be FA, and Larry is a big ?) Mitchaz & JTDG both have made excellent detailed posts on this issue.. We have already given up two draft picks and could only get a maximum of four compensatory picks, so I’m seeing more needs than resources even if Fitz doesn’t come back and with Palmer’s retirement;
    For the record, I don’t see the Seahawks missing a beat next season, even with a entire new coaching staff and many changes, they are all about winning, their winning record will make them an attractive landing spot for many of the most sought after coordinators.
    A good thing to keep in mind is that the GM builds the roster and the HC decides who from the roster will play on gameday. So, if the GM does a lousy job finding talent, the HC is left to make a silk purse out of a cow’s ear, and usually is the one who gets the blame if he can’t get the job done.
    You make some good points.

2. Jan 11, 2018: Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals head coach search and the Pro Bowlers | VegasPicks.com