Another coaching opening (and more all-pros)

Posted by Darren Urban on January 15, 2018 – 3:01 pm

The Cardinals, Giants, Lions and Colts still have coaching vacancies, but this morning, the Titans added themselves to the list when they and coach Mike Mularkey agreed to part ways. The rules say coaches still in the postseason can only interview again next week if they had been interviewed once already, but Ian Rapoport tweeted that meant any coach who had been interviewed period, not just by the Titans. So they have a small window for the Super Bowl coaches. Obviously, by next week, there will be only two teams left playing.

Also Monday came a bunch of reports of coaches heading places, none official yet but certainly more strong than previously. With those reports, Pats DC Matt Patricia will coach the Lions, the Giants have Pat Shurmur as their frontrunner and the Colts would get Josh McDaniels. There have been no such reports on the Cards (or the Titans, obviously). Patricia and Shurmur were both on the Cards’ candidate list and it was reported that the Cards like Shurmur. It will be interesting to see if the Cards get any more clarity this week.

— The Pro Football Writers of America released its all-pro team today, and like the Associated Press all-pro team, linebacker Chandler Jones and special teamer Budda Baker made it for the Cardinals.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

63 Responses to “Another coaching opening (and more all-pros)”

1. By joe holst on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

looks like Steeler West continues with Mike Munchak coming here, stabilize the o-line, perhaps keep Bettcher to run D. I like Steeler Back up Laundry as a starter.

2. By Big Ken on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

Shurmur is the hot candidate for sure but he can’t finalize a deal until the Vikings washout of the playoffs or win the Super Bowl. Maybe Micheal Bidwell will money whip Shurmur.

3. By El Gallo on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

Well the good thing is that nothing is “Official” until it’s “Official”..
    But you hope the Cardinals can still bring in one of those Highly Sought After Coaches sooner rather than later. Rules allowing of course.

– For one I hold JDF (Flip) in high regard for his success in molding young talented QBs. If you want to have success in the NFL you need a QB that can win. It bodes well if you have a guy in charge that can help a young QB grow, improve mechanics and influence their mental game.

– But if you were to bring him on possibly as OC that works too in combination with a defensive minded HC. I like Patricia and Flores here. Have to look more into Wilks’ defenses; their success and who he is as a leader.

4. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

Somehow…. I am getting the feeling the Cards are playing musical chairs (with the coaching search) and they are going to be left out when the music stops.
    Why not go after Harbaugh and see if he wants to come back to the NFL….

This has all of the makings of a giant cluster flop….

5. By Rob in Phx on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

So how do other teams manage to choose their next head coach during the playoffs while our owner and GM take 3 weeks to over analyze everything. I guess they both prefer hiring leftovers instead of taking action and making a decision to hire the best.

6. By Los Parajos on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

Any word that teams are looking at Amos Jones for a coaching position? HC, ST?

7. By dynosoar on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

I feel if you, Darren, don’t have anything to report on specific coaches other than what you’re hearing from other writers, then they are making it up. I would feel Bidwill and Keim would speak to you and Kyle first and not Ian Rappaport.

I’m ok with the way this coaching search is falling out. We’ll be fine. I love that we are seeking a coach after BA retired as opposed to everyone else looking after a firing. I’m surprised the Titans released their coach after a playoff win.

I watched as Floyd did to the Vikings what he did in the desert, and incomplete pass in the endzone that was almost, almost a catch of beauty. Too bad really, still, he’s made more of his football career and football talent than I did.

8. By dynosoar on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

My favorite playoff games of all time
    1st – 2008 Cardinals Eagles, 2009 Cardinals Packers and 2017 Vikings Saints
    2nd – 2015 Cardinals Packers, 2008 Cardinals Falcons, 2008 Cardinals Panthers (my birthday) and 1998 Cardinals Cowboys

9. By Coach K on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

Jay

I agree. I think Mike Munchak is the perfect man to rebuild this team starting with the offensive line which is his specialty. Keeping Betcher is also a good idea as he proved himself worthy based on the last half of the season stats. I’m all for Munchak who has impeccable character and experience.

Let’s build that offensive line and grab a good young QB and rebuild.

As for young QB’s, keep an eye on where Mike White the QB from Western Kentucky might fall. If Cards go big offensive line and receiver early, would not be surprised if White is a target in rounds three. The question is, who will be the bridge QB? Stanton, Gabbert or a free agent?

10. By Coach K on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

One last thought

I would really like to see Blake Bortles win the Superbowl.

That kid has taken so much negativity this year, it would be good to
    see the football media eat crow.

Go Jags, and especially Bortles and Campbell.

11. By dynosoar on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

Rob in Phx,

in our last coaching search we were last to hire a coach. Of those eight coaches hired in that search,

Bills = Doug Marrone = fired
    Bears = Marc Trestman = fired
    Browns = Rob Chudzinski = fired
    Jaguars = Gus Bradley = fired
    Eagles = Chip Kelly = Scott H, how did that turn out for them? Oh yeah, fired
    Chargers – Mike McCoy = fired

Chiefs = Andy Ried = still coaching
    Cardinals = Bruce Arians = retired

I’d say (as Darren pointed out last week) that our “over analyzing” worked out quite well. Two down seasons, but we’ve been to the Championship game and Larry Fitzgerald never wavered in his commitment to the Cardinals. Our team.

I’m good with the approach being taken, we’re waiting till the best are available instead of just getting anyone. Will it work out, I don’t know but I have only one way to accurately predict the future and that’s to look at past results.

Past results with this approach gave us BA, our team is in good hands and will do very well.

12. By NYCardinals212 on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

For your enjoyment,
    a selection of blog comments from Jan 15, 2013
    ———————————————————————–

“As I have feared all along; Arizona and the Bidwills are a very tough sell for coaching candidates that have other options.”

“We have interviewed 3 people and have struggled to even do that. This team is a joke. Every other team brought in 10 + coaches to interview. We can barely do 3.”

“again all we do is wait for something to happen and dont be aggresive..no wonder we are the laughing stock of NFL . . . ”

“ur not going to hire a offensive coordinater for head coach when u havnt fixed the quarterback spot since warner left, GO AHEAD AN HIRE THE ONLY PERSON THAT WANTS ITS HORTON”.

“Mr M. Bidwell (sic) u need to stop stalling and hire Horton now!!!!!”

“so NFL.com on the news McCoy is SD coach, gives the winners and losers of this decision. Guess which list we are on?”

“We are missing out on so many great coaches.”

“Cardinals can’t find enough ways to disappoint their fans. They are unable to draw any talent to this organization to excite their fans . . . Unless the Cardinals change their QB situation they are not giving any head coach the proper tools to do their job!”

“NEXT, No supporters willing to buy second rate goods……..then the franchise will move or be sold…….I say 2 more years and it’s L.A. or a new owner.”

“Hey, Cardinals….newsflash….when you let people walk out the door without a deal in hand, THERE ARE NO FRIGGIN’ GUARANTEES THAT YOU ARE GONNA GET A SECOND CHANCE!!! My God, man, this organization needs to get a clue and start living on this planet! The process of looking for a head coach in the NFL is NOT one where you can go at a leisurely pace and take all the time you want . . . ”

“Ouch! THE DUE DILIGENCE has bit us in the butt again!!”

13. By Dr. G. on Jan 15, 2018 | Reply

Darren – Aside from all the standard desirable items, if a potential coach considers 2 different teams fairly equivalent, do the agents then go for the bidding war?

If a man is in your office and you’ve presented our fantastic facilities, and you want him, I like the bold approach with a very fair offer ala…””We want you here; take it now or leave it; sign here and take charge right now!”” Show him that he has a confident boss to work with. He will appreciate that in FA & the draft. ((Toss in a big truck))

The fans need to see a coach signed and announced on February 5th to begin the excitement for 2018.

And if I recall the rules correctly, a prospect can interview after NFC/AFC Games up to “”the day his team arrives at the Super Bowl site.”” …don’t know if there is a required date for that?

14. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Bidding war

That’s possible but with the current group of coaching candidates, I’m not sure any engender a bidding war. That’s just IMO. You can’t be that plain today with a coach still in the playoffs — if you were caught, there would be a heavy price to pay. I truly believe with a coach, it’s more about what the candidate might want in a situation. Sure you could money-whip them, but I’m not sure that’s the smartest move either.

15. By lloyd wolf on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

Trouble ahead…I think. Shurmur loss does not bode well for team. Of course we
    are not privileged to team discussions but rely on common sense. Common sense looked like overwhelming Shurmur and (maybe) bringing along one of the Viking guys. Now what? Viking QB is still a possibility, a promise to aggressively go after say Smith…won’t spring for Cousins for sure. I can only hope Mularky does not make the short list..loser 2x..not that Shurmur was great in Cleveland..but at least they one a few games during his three years…Best guess now now Munchak…..only makes sense…and keep team DC.

Time to go to work.

16. By Nick Pepe on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

I am not in panic mode…..yet

17. By JTDG on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

As I said before,

The Raiders have Carr, Of Course Gruden went there.

The Bears have a young QB in Trubisky, of course Nagy believes he can make him good.

The Lions have Stafford. with a little defense, they can be a contender. Of Course, Patricia is going there.

The Colts have Andrew Luck. Of Course McDaniels is going there.

The Giants have Manning and the 2nd overall pick, which could be a QB. Of Course Shumur is going there.

Now, you have the Titans and Cardinals.

Lets see, the Titans went to the playoffs and have Mariotta, a young QB who needs a QB coach to come in and get him going, along with Corey Davis, the 5th overall pick at receiver, not to mention those RBs.

The cards have no QBs, No receivers once Fitz retires, missed the playoffs the last two years, and have the worst offensive line in football, and draft poorly.

Hmm, is it any surprise why coaches aren’t rushing to AZ begging for a job.

18. By Chris G. on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

I just hope they don’t go for a guy who has been a head coach and failed. Take a chance on someone young and who doesn’t have a losing record as a coach already. If I have two cars in the driveway, one is old and has a history of breaking down on me, the other one is new, untested, and has never been driven, I’m firing up the new one. It could be the best car I’ve ever owned or it could break down on me too. At least I tested it and found out. There will always be new models coming out in the future to replace the lemons that I took a chance on.
    I’m also tired of these “insiders” always trying to get the scoop. From announcing BA’s retirement a week before the end of the season, to claiming a coaching job is filled before a contract is done, it’s just a problem for me. It’s like telling what I’m getting from Santa before Christmas morning. Let the process take its course and give me the news when it is a done deal.

19. By Jacob on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

Darren-
    Do you think the Cardinals could look at Jimmy Garoppolo for their next QB since he is a free agents? Or do u thinks 49 era will re sight him? Or could the cardinals offer a higher price and he leaves them to join the Cardinals?

20. By Darren Urban on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

Jacob —

RE: Jimmy G

He isn’t going anywhere. He will be a 49er.

21. By JTDG on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

Chris G,

I get your comment. Most of the time you are correct. But guys who been head coaches and fail, sometimes do a great job the next time around.

Case and Point – Bill Belichick

As head coach of the Browns , he was 36-44 and was let go. It turned out pretty good for the Patriots.

22. By JTDG on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

Don’t you just love the experts ??

Jeremy Fowler reports that the Cardinals are expected to interview Eagles QBs coach John DeFilippo a second time for their head coach position. According to Fowler, DeFilippo is a “strong candidate” for the job.

According to Ian Rapoport, the Cardinals are beginning the second round of interviews for their head-coaching job and have requested permission to meet with Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak. Rapoport says that Munchak is a “strong candidate” for the Cardinals’ job.

Jason La Canfora reports that Vikings OC Pat Shurmur would have been the Cardinals’ “top target” but he’s now considered to be a “virtual lock” to be the next head coach of the Giants. According to La Canfora, two options worth watching for Arizona are Panthers DC Steve Wilks and Steelers OL coach Mike Munchak among others.

Adam Schefter reports that Patriots LBs coach Brian Foles is “very much in play” for the Cardinals and their head coaching job.

23. By Dr. G. on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

Dyno – lovin’ it when Fans do their legit home work. Listing the HCs and their results is astute to point to the results. But, if your man becomes available, it is imperative to ink him immediately, assuming you have done your homework.

Some of the “”rumor guys”” match all sorts of prospects with various teams so they can say, “”see, I was right!”” But from 8 guesses, they may get 1 or 2 correct. It’s pretty much bs innuendo at this point.

ChrisG – Yep, I’ll take the new ride, esp for our team right now. But here’s what can be appealing that many people ignore – – If you want to hire me, I would consider it a HUGE asset and opportunity to be involved with the selection of my new QB along with all the other players and personnel.

The CARDINALS are not far from being a playoff team with some young ambitious coaching and a handful of FA & drafted guys on Offense. WHY ARE PEOPLE IGNORING HOW GOOD OUR DEFENSE IS?

P.S. My guy is still out there in the final 4…. Be well, Cards Fans “””Trust”””

24. By Dr. G. on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

jtdg…old coaches? Yes, we can point to men like Belichick…I like his no-nonsense approach, BUT…for the Cards, we really need some new thinking. The OC & DC for the Pats make him very good.

The NFL is moving into the techno age and the younger coaches assimilate much easier. We can bring in the older guys for assistants when we see they can contribute “”wisdom.””

Jon Gruden is a smart guy…not such a great finish for his HC tenure. I like his challenging sense of humor with players…thinking he is better suited for the media now…will be interesting to see how he does after many years out. Gonna be interesting to see how he deals with the Clubs on every corner and legal girly dens in Vegas..what happens there WILL not be muted by the press! Be well…

25. By Jo Ball on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

After Sunday, the cardinals must move quickly. I’m not liking all the examples that Keim and Michael are making to 2013. Every situation is unique, and let’s face it… the cards got lucky with the fact that Arians was still available back then. Probably because of the way he conducts interviews… maybe because he had a foot out the door with retirement pending.. who knows. Teams passed on him for various reasons and the cards were able to pick him up without much competition. Also, if we can stop acting like he was the greatest coach in the planet, that would be great. He had 3 winning seasons and 2 average. All those wins equaled to 1 playoff win… thats all. His stubborness, inability to adapt and loyalty to underachievers would of gotten him fired sooner rather than later. But anyways, this isn’t an Arians rant, he’s gone.. hope he enjoys a full happy life outside of football. The point is, do your homework, act quickly, and take your guy fast. Don’t stick to the process just for the sake of sticking to the process. Hope they don’t blow this one.

26. By JTDG on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

Dr G,

I don’t have my history book out, but I can think of Dungy with the colts . Although he did well with the Bucs, he was thought of as not being able to win the big one. He proved everyone wrong in Indy.

Truth is, Dudgy became a genius with Manning, Billicheck with Brady, Whiz with Warner. The examples can go on and on. It’s hard to win without a QB no matter how good a coach you are.

A great coach can hit if everything is right without a QB (see 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, 2015 Broncos, maybe 2017 eagles, vikings, jaguars), but you can’t do it consistently without that QB.

But great coaches with great QBs are there every year (see Pats, Saints, Steelers, the Walsh/Siefort Niners)

I like these pairings.
    -Gruden has a ring and now is paired with an exciting young QB, a good oline, and some dynamic players on defense.
    -McDaniels with Andrew Luck and TY Hilton. I think he will be inventive and get the ball out of Luck’s hands quickly to prevent him getting hit so much.
    -Patricia seems like the Dudgy of the group. The team has an offense save running game, but he will fix the defense This could be a great hire.
    – I think the Titans would be an attractive job. Marriota at QB and newly drafted Corey Davis at wr, a terrific TE, a great oline and 2 thumpers at RB. The defense has some young stars and some aging guys needing some help. This is a job that could change a McDaniels or Shumurs mind.

27. By Coach K on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

If Munchak is the guy, great. If not, then I say go young and bring in a fresh face from a winning franchise. Throw the dice and we might find a hidden gem.

I also hope whoever gets hired they keep Betcher as DC. I was hard on Betcher early in the season, but he got everyone on the same page eventually and the defense was decent despite losing players.

28. By JTDG on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

Jo Ball,

To take 2013 a step further, the bears were the front runners on BA. He would have been the Bears coach had the bears not balked at Todd Bowles as DC.

Most likely, the bears hire BA if they would have allowed BA to have his staff and the cards would have been left out and looking for someone else.

29. By Chris G. on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

I lived in DC for 40 years. We can all agree that Joe Gibbs was a successful coach. There were parades in the streets when he came back. 2nd time around? Not so great. The game had passed him by. Granted, he was completely out of football for a while focused on NASCAR not football. According to the pundits, Shermer is a Giant so that leaves Munchak as the retread. If he turns out to be the next Belichick then great, but I won’t hold my breath.

30. By D on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

Not a surprise that AZ is still interviewing coaches. With no QB on the roster and in a strong conference -(oline and wr concerns may not be on the radar yet for the coaches interviewing) vs AZ having D. Johnson and a strong D.

I would guess any new coach would want to keep the Def intact along with most of the coaches. Although, if Bettcher doesn’t get the HC job, would not expect him to stay on, so I would be inclined for B. Buckner to get a chance at D Cord.

I am curious on who Munchak would bring as OC to work with his QBs.

31. By creditcard on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

Getting someone “off the radar” so to speak, might be the route to go. Flores,the NE linebacker coach comes to mind.

It will all work out. Despite the comments, I think the Cards are a prize team, good weather, fan base, facilities, ownership that WANTS to WIN

32. By dynosoar on Jan 16, 2018 | Reply

I like the idea of getting the best coach and a coach at this point in the playoffs is (at least common sense would dictate is) a better coach than someone who’s team didn’t make the playoffs. I’m good with waiting.

So Dr. G. I haven’t seen who your coach is (although you may not be saying and that’s cool.)

I don’t have a favorite, but with how I feel about the Patriots and the Steelers, I’d hope not from there, but then again, they are somewhat succesful so…

I have no option than to trust in Bidwill and Keim who are conducting the interviews. I could Not trust, but my thoughts won’t matter to anyone but me anyway (well, me and nine people who’ll thumb up for me. Haha!)

In the words of one I’ve admired for years for comments well thought out…

Be well.

33. By clssylssy on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

Of course money plays into the attractiveness of the job. Don’t think some of these top candidates aren;t considering the “benefits package”, the contract etc. (or, even if they aren’t their wives are) and judging offers on the “Gruden scale”. Nobody likes moving, ripping their kids out of school and away from friends, and the Cards seem to go through coaches kinda like Kleenex, when they have a down year or two, despite previous successes . Professionals talk to one another and get input about the organization and how it functions, what the dynamic is between management and actual football operations, roster building etc, The stadium, practice facilities etc., weather, community etc., are all superficial enticements, and not the real meat and potatoes of the job. It worries me that Steve Keim and Michael Bidwill are trying to sell the HC position on fluff, which may work on candidates who are on their last rodeo and thinking about retirement
    in the near future, but are not as important to the up and comers who are looking at building a legecy and a financially secure future.
    Along similar lines, I think it is interesting to note that some teams are actually giving minor ownership pieces (stock options) to players and other personnel and treating highly valued personnel like more than day laborers. While Michael Bidwill has moved this team forward light years from where it was prior to 2006,I’m just skeptical that he doesn’t understand what it’s going to take to keep up with the competition to keep us in the game. His loyalty to Steve Keim iss on a par with BA’s loyalty to Amos; nice on a personal level but counterproductive to progress.

34. By Chris G. on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

According to rumors, and you know how much I love rumors, Munchak has turned down a second interview with us. Looks like our choices are being narrowed down for us. Going young and inexperienced may be all that’s left.

35. By D on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

Wow. It’s getting clearer on what the coaching group thinks of the AZ job.

Even now, with only AZ and TN remaining, TN is a playoff team with a young talented QB, good Oline and in a weak division.

The clock is ticking, Senior Bowl game on 1-27.

Going to be hard to sell a Bettcher, Flores or Defilippo to the fans after BA.

36. By Fred on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

Munchak doesn’t want the job with card maybe we waited to long or no one want to coach a team with out a QB. or maybe they don’t like the way keim drafted the last 3 years. WE may have to take someone who is willing to rebuild the team .

37. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

I’m glad Munchak isn’t interested in a second interview with AZ. Sounds like he’s hedging his bets on getting the Steeler’s offensive coordinator position should Haley’s contract not be renewed. Hard to blame him if he does get the OC gig with Pitt with all the offensive weapons they have. The AZ job and the abysmal offense that come with it could well get him canned in a two years, and having already failed as a head coach, a second failure as HC would spell the end of any future HC opportunities.

38. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

If you have no offensive line and no QB, yes you are in a rebuilding year(s).

39. By Chris G. on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

I think some shake ups are getting ready to happen in Steeler land. I’m sure Ian Rappaport or Adam Shefter will let us know before anybody else does. Even before The Steelers themselves know about it.

40. By erik on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

If they end up hiring Bettcher as Head Coach I am going to die a little inside…

41. By forbessh on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

It is slowly dawning on us that virtually none of the top HC candidates are interested in coaching the Cards.

This should be a lesson in humility to Mr. Bidwell and Steve Keim (we are not as hot as we think we are). I’m a big fan of Mr B. but sometimes, you have to know that the Cards haven’t won nothing yet (as BA used to say in 2015) and we need to stay hungry, stay humble, stay focussed.

On the plus side, we will end up with Steve Wilks as HC (I made that call right from the beginning). De Fillipo is unlikely to be interested (would you rather coach an ascendant Carson Wentz or risk your rep on a team with no QB and a poor O-line?, Betcher will be unsuitable as HC for a Cards team in rebuilding mode).

Steve Wilks will bring a winning culture and turn us into genuine SB contenders in 3 yrs.

42. By Johnson on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

Darren – Todd Haley is out in Pittsburgh, he would be a great addition in AZ and knowing that great 08 season, Larry might try to come back as well. Yes, I am saying Larry might come back to AZ – Your Thoughts? – I just want to see a repeat of another -08 with Haley and Fitz

43. By Darren Urban on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

Johnson —

RE: Haley

He won’t be a HC candidate. Could he potentially be the OC? It would depend on the HC. I don’t think the Cards would rule it out.

44. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

jtdg – yeah…can’t totally disagree with history when it comes to HCs that start late in their sporting life…we can both name many who have done well…know them all fairly well. But if you drill it down, their success has been the product of good hires at key coaching positions… ala Belichick with Josh and Matt.

IMO, we’ve been there…and it’s time to bring in some younger guys who can relate to the newer NFL game. As I posted prior, if we feel the need for “”the wise one”” we can bring in assistants to provide some input.

As for Gruden, my concerns are twofold:: (1) can he still relate to the guys after many years in the press? Maybe, but would you guarantee that? (2) Will he have to be the bad guy when they go to Vegas? Gonna be a good town for the fans, but if you add up all the distractions in every NFL city, it’s all there. Trust me; I work there frequently. If I were Gruden, my first hire would be a player psychologist for the younger shingle men to understand that Vegas is not just any other town. Whoever the HC is, it will be uniquely challenging.

45. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

Dyno – my coach? Yes, I have said many times for a long time now – Matt Patricia. He brings a list of qualifications unmatched by anyone. Long ago, I thought Josh McDaniels could be our guy. Then, as wishful thinking would have it, wouldn’t it be great if we could have both with Josh as the OC and Matt as the HC…never happen, but just skylarking…!

My guy is still there! He’s a long way from Medicare…!

46. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

Cards Fans – Bottom line on the coaching search, wouldn’t it be just great to get the guy you can keep for a decade or more as our HC. Other positions can evolve ala Bowles leaving for a promotion. When we hire a man who brings reasonable success at age 60 or more, it just makes us look to the eventual turnover. Short term success? Fun, yeah. We’ve seen some of that…we should want to build a long-term program that the league and Fans know will always be competitive.

47. By JohnnyBluenose on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

I’m surprised that Munchak is not interested. Maybe JTDG could be right about the Cardinals’ offensive shortcomings making the head coaching opportunity less desirable than some others. Me? I think the Cardinals have a lot to offer and I hope the Pat Shurmers and Josh McDaniels of the world think so too. The last person I want here, in any capacity, is Todd Haley. And maybe Munchak knows more than we do. Maybe the next shoe to drop in Pittsburgh is Tomlin’s and Munchak is going to take that job. Tomlin did a terrible job on Sunday (clock management and the onside kick) and what’s releasing James Harrison a few weeks ago all about? There is something not right in Pittsburgh. Yesterday, out of curiosity, I went on the Steelers website just to read whatever comments were there. There were many and a lot of were angry about the loss and the way the Steelers lost. Fair enough. But what surprised me and shocked me was the number of racist comments there were. They were unbelievable and I really do not understand how the person in charge of that website would allow those comments to be published. The divisions in the USA are not getting smaller and that is sad and scary.

48. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

jtdg – have you changed your mind on DeFilippo as your choice for our HC? He has been primarily a QB coach his entire career. As you now lean toward Patricia, his varied resume is one of the best I’ve seen in 10 years. Be well…

49. By JTDG on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

Chris G,

Re-tread Coaches:

I was talking in general. Not about Munchak. I agree I want a fresh new coach, If you go back over the last couple months, I wanted Nagy (who went to the Bears) and Defilippo.

But if the right “re-tread” came along, I would highly consider it. Just look how much Coughlin has brought to the Jags. ( I know not as a Head coach but point is, he probably would be a good coach still. He knows personnel)

If Bill Parcels called, would have power over the front office, and had the fire to coach again, I would take him.

50. By Scott H on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

Being turned down by Munchak seems a little dis-heartening….

Maybe some others should worry less about the team’s efforts to hire somebody / that they haven’t hired anyone yet and worry more about how attractive THIS job may be looking to others right now. Or, may NOT be looking.

Because maybe THAT is really the issue here.

And if that IS the issue here….is it wrong to wonder about how this organization is being perceived these days by prospective HC candidates? I mean….there has been an on-going failure to draft a good QB…..an on-going failure to add talent to the WR position…..our O-line has imploded with no real up-grades since Veldheer and Iupati were signed years ago…..our last off-season was a joke…..

Just sayin.

51. By JTDG on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

Dr G,

Patricia is going to Detroit.

Defilippo was my choice paired with a rookie QB (one of the big 3). If you invest in moving up the board to grab a QB, then you should have a QB friendly HC.

If that is not the move, well, I don’t know if I have a front runner. Steve Wilks is interesting by has run a 4-3 in Carolina, which means personnel changes, plus, it would depend on his OC.

Things could change real fast if McDaniels changes his mind and goes to the Titans. If that happens, the Colts who have a good new GM and of course Andrew Luck and TY Hilton, become an interesting target.

I think if McDaniels stays with the rumored Colts, then Defilippo ends up with Titans. If McDaniels head for Tennessee, then look for Mike Vrabel to take the colts job.

If that happens, Defilippo would be available and the cards should hire him. Now, let’s muddy the waters a little bit. I give you a dark horse that isn’t being interviewed that maybe should be interviewed, as pointed out by the Sporting News.

Matt LeFleur. You might ask , Who? he has been the QB coach for Matt Ryan and coached under Kyle Shannahan. He currently is the OC with the Rams and works with Jared Goff under McVay. With his background under two of the best offensive minds in the game today and his work with Matt Ryan and Jared Goff, he should be considered.

52. By Chris G. on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

JTDG
    I wouldn’t rule out candidates with prior head coaching experience either as long as they were successful and, yes, any wins while coaching the Browns would be considered a success. I’m glad the search seams to be narrowing down to some bright young guys. Defillipo is my first choice and when the Vikings win this weekend we should pull the trigger. Flores is intriguing also.

53. By Dr. G. on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

Dear Bruce Arians,

You had a decent run; now most find it undesirable for you to seemingly think you have some influence for the Cardinals going forward. You want Boetcher just because he was your guy. Have you considered/promoed anyone else? …didn’t think so. How do you really know what Fitz is thinking?

Please don’t judge what MB & SK decide as something you would have done differently unless they pay you for your opinion…deaf ears now…please let it go.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the ship has sailed when you retired…but I get it…a warrior without a war to fight…like The Greàt Santini…

54. By Scott H on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

And it does make sense that news of Munchak turning down our offer for a 2nd interview comes right on the heels of news that Todd Haley won’t be back in Pitts. Maybe Munchak has designs on climbing up the ladder where he already is. Heck, with the weapons they have in place there, who could blame him??

But I WAS warming to the idea of a HC with a pedigree for building a good offensive line….damn!

Wilks is a ST’s coordinator…..Defilippo is a QB coach…..I just can’t get excited over either one as a head coach. Nor am I at all excited about Bettcher.

I’m kinda scrambling to find anyone to attach my excitement to right now…..

I kinda wish we had an in-house candidate or two that seemed to have the appeal of a Shurmur or a Matt Patricia. But, clearly, we don’t.

55. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 17, 2018 | Reply

The Cards should go after Harbaugh… really!
    Rex Ryan would be an interesting choice. At least the press conferences would be entertaining…..

My prediction… Bettcher comes back as HC, because everyone will be taken or turns the job down…..

56. By Scott H on Jan 18, 2018 | Reply

And now the Steelers have a new OC who is NOT Munchak. So much for him turning us down so he could take that position.

Next???

57. By Scott H on Jan 18, 2018 | Reply

NJAz Cards Fan –

RE: Bettcher

Yeah, if we “end up” with Bettcher as a HC, that is exactly how it is going to feel. That we did indeed “end up” with him because everyone else was taken or ( maybe even more so ) that no one else wanted the job.

Supposedly, Defilippo is a guy they are interested in….so, maybe we’ll see something happen early next week if the Eagles get bounced on Sunday.

But….yeah, it just feels like Bettcher is the going to be the guy they fall back on if all else fails. If they really wanted HIM, what would have held them up from giving him the job already?

58. By clssylssy on Jan 18, 2018 | Reply

JTDG…
    I like the way you think! I like LaFleur and had thought about him but have to wonder if the Rams would allow him to interview. He’s still kind of new to all of this and may want to stick with a winner (as the Rams appear to be) in order to build some experience and get some street creds, which I could certainly respect before jumping into the fire with both feet in Arizona and likely find that he is butting heads with an organization who is so conservative and reluctant to change, that he is handcuffed in carrying out his own ideas and vision.

59. By JTDG on Jan 18, 2018 | Reply

Clssy,

LaFleur will be the hot young name next year and will get a job as HC.

I’m thinking, get him now and if we have a couple bumps this first year, ok. He will get there.

To top it off, Why not see if Flores would take the DC job (as it seems he won’t get the HC spot ), as it would be a promotion. Flores could be our Todd Bowles. Here for a year or two then off as a head coach.

60. By lloyd wolf on Jan 18, 2018 | Reply

A bad situation no doubt. Here is a little gasoline to throw on the fire. Here in Chicago one of the talking heads quoted Jeff Fischer that there is interest by some team(s) in him as HC. The bad situation I mention is not limited to having Fischer (a Buddy Ryan disciple you know). If team DC get the job it REALLY would be distressing. Whomever things Tomlin would be terminated is wrong. He will be coach in Pitt as long as he wants the job. Maybe he wants a change of scenery, eh?

61. By clssylssy on Jan 18, 2018 | Reply

JTDG…
    I like the sounds of LaFleur/Flores, and my only concern would be how much input and control they would be given by the front office or if there would be an expectation that they would turn Keim’s mistakes and miscues into something better, and would not be given the support and freedom to go a direction that conflicted with Keim’s “master plan”. BA didn’t have Graves “riding the brakes” all the time , was older with a steamroller pesonality, I am just skeptical of the changes anyone will be able to accomplish within this organizational structure, which, IMO, is the reason we didn’t make the postseason for the last few years and probably why this job doesn’t s appeal to many of the good candidates.
    I do like the idea of getting some young progressive coaches in here who don’t have their foot out the door to retirement and can help grow this team, taking it to the next level. But, in order for that to happen they will need a like-minded GM orm eveb better, a GM who has had success in building SB rosters.

62. By forbessh on Jan 19, 2018 | Reply

JTDG

RE. Matt LaFleur, you were onto something!

He is being interviewed by the Titans as HC. They are hot on him and may not let him catch a flight back from Nashville.

Maybe we should get you on the Cards scouting/recruitment team.

63. By clssylssy on Jan 19, 2018 | Reply

Forbeesh…
    Totally agree with you! Arg! This is driving me crazy as once again our slowness on the draw and lack of forward thinking may keep us steps behind the competition. The Titans would be a plum job for a young guy like LaFleur and he’s been available for interviews!