Peterson, comp picks and Cards’ draft ammunition

Posted by Darren Urban on January 25, 2018 – 9:57 am

The Saints acknowledged that they will indeed get that conditional draft pick from the Cardinals — expected to be a sixth-rounder — in the trade for Adrian Peterson. With the draft in April and the announcements of this year’s compensatory picks (based on 2017 free agency) coming in late March, here is an early look at what draft picks the Cards could hold this season.

Already gone are the Cardinals’ original fourth-round pick (dealt in the Bears trade that allowed them to move up for Budda Baker in the second round last season), original sixth-rounder (for Peterson) and seventh-rounder (in the 2016 trade with Chiefs for cornerback Marcus Cooper.) The Cardinals also acquired a conditional seventh-round pick from the Ravens for offensive lineman Tony Bergstrom at the end of training camp, but given that Bergstrom was released about six weeks later, it’s unclear whether that pick conveys.

On the plus side, the Cards are in line for three comp picks, according to overthecap.com, which always has a pretty good handle on the byzantine equation the NFL uses to determine comp picks. It’s based on free agents lost versus free agents gained, using contract numbers and snaps. According to OTC, the loss of Calais Campbell would earn the Cards the top comp pick in the third round (all comp picks are slotted after the regular round ends), the loss of Tony Jefferson would earn the Cards the top comp pick in the fourth round, and the loss of Alex Okafor would earn them an additional seventh-round pick.

The FA losses of D.J. Swearinger, Cooper and Kevin Minter are offset by the signings of Phil Dawson, Peterson and Karlos Dansby.

Peterson wasn’t a free agent signing, you say? He was with the Saints. The trade for Peterson looks like it could actually ding the Cards in two ways — not only costing the sixth-rounder in trade, but also a potential sixth-round comp pick because he was acquired in the season in which he was signed as a free agent. (This is one of the reasons it’s been reported that the 49ers released QB Brian Hoyer as they traded for Jimmy Garoppolo from the Patriots. The Patriots wanted Hoyer, but to get him back in a trade after he signed as a free agent with the 49ers would have hurt the Pats in the comp pick equation. With the 49ers cutting him, there was no such issue.)

So, if the projections are right, the Cards picks are:

— First round
— Second round
— 2 Third rounds (comp)
— Fourth round (comp)
— Fifth round
— Seventh round (comp, and maybe a regular seventh-round if Bergstrom trade comes through)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Peterson, comp picks and Cards’ draft ammunition”

1. By NJAzCardsFan on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

Darren- Any insight to who is the front runner for the OC spot?

My .02 cents on who the Cards should get for QB, is Alex Smith or Teddy Bridgewater.

After hearing Wilkes speak, I think Bidwill/Keim made an excellent choice for the new HC spot.

2. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: OC

I don’t know if there is a front-runner. They’ve talked to Bevell and McCoy. The latter seems like it makes sense. But we will see how it plays out, or if another candidate pops up.

3. By JPMart on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

The Cardinals should trade up to get a QB in the draft. BA and company did not think it necessary and stayed with Palmer too long. They should target Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson. Rosen, Darnold and Allen will be gone by then.

4. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

There’s that word again: “AGGRESSIVE”

“We’re going to have a very active and aggressive plan through free agency, and we’ll see exactly what’s going to happen within the draft,” Wilks said, emphasizing the Cardinals were going to compete and not rebuild in 2018.

Apparently, Keim has indoctrinated Wilks already

Well, we shall see if Keim will turn over a new leaf in 2018. I have my doubts.

He doesn’t have a good track record.

5. By creditcard on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

It is imperative that the Cards hit the grand slam in this and next year’s draft.

The concept of having yet another 1st round pick barely play and other picks either barely make the team (ie. Chad Williams),or are cut during training camp (ie numerous O-linemen) is (pardon the pun) for the birds.

If the Cards want to relevant, they literally have to hit a grand slam in this year and next year’s draft. This undoubtedly places a lot of pressure on Wilks as a new HC. My opinion, the poor drafts should fall back on Kiem, he undoubtedly received input from all coaching and scouting personnel, but geezo the Cards have not done well in the last couple of years of drafting.

I sure hope Wilks has a good draft nose,like Tom Caughlin

6. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

I’d like to see the Cards address the QB spot in free agency and make the offensive line a priority in the draft. The free agent QB pool this year is abnormally deep. This team needs to get younger and it needs all the picks it can get. Trading up in the first round is just too costly given the mediocrity of the QBs in this year’s draft. You only do that if you know you have can’t-miss prospect at the position.

7. By John S. on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

Like the signing of Wilkes… but not hot on the prospect of McCoy for OC from my readings. Keep looking. We’ll see…
    Still think Alex Smith the best fit for the Cards at QB of most others discussed; still playing at a high level, and with the Chiefs wanting to go with Mahommes a possibility. Can’t see why Smith wouldn’t want to round out his career here similar to Palmer, and that making a move for him should be seriously looked into while draft pick this or next year developed.
    Also somewhat intrigued with the thought read elsewhere about QB coach John DeFilippo coming here as the OC, and Foles then wishing to follow him. I’m sure he doesn’t want to, (or feels he should, but will if staying), sit on the bench behind Wentz after this year, or that the Eagles would want to pay him a lot to just sit either. A move here by him in FA with a real QB need for a starter would seem to fit in that scenario.. if the above came to pass?
    Either way, take a QB first in the draft if one of the favorites(?) still available; if not fill another real need instead with that 1st pick, and hold onto Stanton… at least until later in the year when it all sorts out who is going where…

8. By D on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

Cards have too many needs to fill.

Positions with no true starter on the roster:
    QB, MLB, CB2, RG

Need depth at WR, TE, LB, RB
    Depending on Cap hits/possible releases, may need a LG and RT.

Current Cap Space -$27 million, could go up by releasing some players although you better have a starter on the roster for each released player.

Many big decisions to make and I don’t see it all being address this Spring.

9. By JTDG on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

OK, a few blogs back I listed all the QBs who could be available and asked who the fans wanted.

It was obvious, the fans on this board would be very happy with Alex Smith.

Being that Alex Smith is under contract, here is what it will take to land him.

First, his contract. If you trade for him, you take on his contract. For 2018, you would take on 17 million. The cards have 27 million available, so it is possible, leaving 10 million for anyone else.

Secondly, he is a FA at the end of the year, which would require you to resign him to a new contract. His last contract was 4 years 68 million. I am sure he would get around 15-20 million a year. Spotrac says he is worth 4 years , 87 million

Now, he will be 34, but, because he might be sought after, the asking price might be higher than one might think. I believe the Jags will be willing to give up at least a 3rd and maybe a second. Would the cards be willing to give up a second?

Getting him for a 5th or 6th rounder only happens if no one else wants him. Remember he passed for 4000 yards and 26 TDs with a 105 QB rating.

So, knowing what the cost are, would you still want Alex Smith?

10. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

JTDG,

Given that financial info re: Smith: NO

11. By Cactus jeff on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

JTDG
    No way!
    SK
    Please, no more drafting players that give the team added flexibility. No more slow safeties that can play LB, small DEs that can play LB, undersized LBs and small Guards. You are missing too much. Set up thresholds. QB has to have large hands and touch in the short game.

12. By creditcard on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

Kudos, I see that Byron Leftwich is being retained as QB coach. Good move. I think Leftwich could become an OC in a few years.

My opinion Leftwich made lemonade from a pile of lemons this year.

13. By Aaron Allery on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

Maybe Keim can look elsewhere for the revenue to go over the cap! Go Steve Go!

14. By lloyd wolf on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

Re: Cactus Jeff

Spot on. I have said it before and will say it again. It seems like Keim is always looking for a “cute” pick..one that no one knows about…tries to pull a rabbit out of the hat. yeah, that’s okay to do once in awhile in a lower round, but his frequency and the round he does it in…stinks! Wonder whose watching the store at the Senior Bowl??? Back in the day I always felt Graves and Co would buy something off the shelf at Walgreen’s or Barnes and Noble and use that as their draft bible.

I had the opportunity over the years to speak with several highly successful head coaches in the NFL..ya’ know what they all agreed on? THE most important element in structuring a team was a very very solid scouting department…period.

15. By Louis Callegari on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

Bad move by signing Mccoy .

16. By Scott H on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

Am hearing that Mike McCoy is going to be the O-coordinator. He certainly did not seem to have a good year in that function with the Broncos this past season….fired in Nov. The Broncos have talent on offense but no QB. And, frankly, that is a pretty fair description of what the Cardinals appear to be right now. Not sure how that bodes….but I don’t find myself jumping for joy at the moment.

17. By El Gallo on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

– Offensive Linemen

I get the need for fans wanting to solidify the OL and possibly use pick #1 for it since we’ve had our QB’s get man-handled in recent years. I just can’t see it, not with the 1st pick. How can you forgo on all the other needs at skill-positions QB, WR, CB, LB, TE, DE (not need, can’t ever have too many DE’s).

SK doesn’t have the best track record selecting OL to begin with.
    Now keep in mind, these are #1 Picks which you expect to make an impact.
    •G Cooper: Broken leg 1st year, never recovered “mentally”. Trade for C. Jones saved SK on that one here.
    •LT Humphries: Didn’t play entire 1st year “wasn’t mature or ready”, 2nd year played RT was functional out of position, 3rd year injuries derailed season.

Just wouldn’t want more of the same with our 1st overall pick.

– To make my point. Let’s look back at the 2007 Draft.

Cardinals sit at #5.
    •Select Levi Brown: a big 6’6″ 300lbs OL out of Penn State.
    Career lasts a total of 7 years. 6 forgettable years with Arizona. His last in Pittsburgh which he didn’t play in any games.

Minnesota sits at #7.
    •Select Adrian Peterson: an explosive 6’1″ 200lbs RB out of Oklahoma.
    Career on-going, 11th. There’s no question he’s a first ballot Hall of Famer. A “once in a generation player”.

Can’t repeat past mistakes.

Yes we need someone to keep our QB upright, sustain blocks to complete passes to WR’s and create running lanes for our RB’s. I get that.

But my take is go get a skill position guy with your 1st pick, if you want to make the most impact. Especially if it’s a need. After that, a 2nd or 3rd Rnd OL makes sense.

18. By Scott H on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

JTDG / anyone

I really don’t get the interest in Alex Smith. I mean….why? Why TRADE to bring him here?? Assuming he isn’t released…..but if you’re the Chiefs right now, you’re going to try to get something for him, aren’t you? OK….

But where is Alex Smith taking you in 2018? Playoffs? I don’t think so because I really don’t see the Cardinals being a win-now team anymore. I mean….with THIS offensive line? Are we thinking Alex Smith is good enough to overcome THAT?

Sorry if I sound less then enthused about our outlook for 2018 but….I just don’t see this team competing next season. So…..why are we trading for Alex Smith? Is he gonna be around long enough to help this team when they’re really ready? And is he even good enough to help this team when they’re really ready? I say no to both.

But that’s me.

I also look around the NFC West right now and I see every other team looking secure with a young / younger QB. And we’re gonna go with Alex Smith?? C’mon. No. We CANNOT keep going the veteran QB route, hoping to catch the lightning in a bottle we almost had with Kurt Warner.

That is not going to happen with Alex Smith for the very simple reason that Alex Smith isn’t good enough to take a team to that level. He’s just not. He might be a safe and efficient QB, a guy who won’t kill you with turnovers. Fine. Beyond that? I don’t see anything special.

The Cardinals are not the 2000 Ravens who just need Trent Dilfer to manage the game and stay out of the way. The Cardinals need a QUARTERBACK – a guy who can lead the way. They need Russell Wilson, not Trent Dilfer.

I hear other people thinking Nick Foles is the guy we should go after. And I can’t help thinking of how, a few years ago, when we were sorely in need of a QB, we got fleeced by the Eagles for Kevin Kolb. And I’m not even interested in debating Kevin Kolb vs Nick Foles , who is better, etc. Not the point. The point is, do people want to get fleeced again, because we are in such dire need of a QB, and end up with a guy who really seems to be nothing more than a back-up QB in the NFL? In that regard, a QB who is really nothing more than what Drew Stanton is?

I’m not comparing QB’s – I’m comparing situations. And the similarities are right there. Us needing a QB and the Eagles having that carrot to dangle in front of us. For a price, of course.

Foles had that really amazing year in 2013. FOUR YEARS AGO. We never heard from him again until week 15 of 2017. Where’s he been all this time, if he was so great?? And now, he’s had a couple of very good performances in the last two games. OK. Where is the body of work during which he has REALLY sustained the level of play that makes you think he is they guy? IMHO, he stinks to high heaven of a guy that somebody is going to go WAAAAAAY overboard for this off-season. Just like we did for Kolb a few years back. Do we want that team to be us again?

I really hope the organization will choose the path of targeting the right QB for this team to grow with in the draft and then go get him.

19. By Dr. G. on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

jtdg ~ ~ apppreciate the statistical candor on Smith… mea culpa on the expiration of his deal is 2019…thought it was 2020. I know the rest of it. To me, that also would mean KC should not get the entire farm for him. It may be dumb to try to negotiate with Smith during that transaction. ((Other teams may go overboard for him to nix any deal for us))

And, as I posted prior, I do see him as a stop gap for a couple years at age 34….no guarantees in the draft on a QB in 2018, but you may believe a top pick is ready to be your STARTER…that is ultimately optimistic…great if it works. But, you seem to be worried a bit much what the fans will want…we are a fickle cyclical bunch.

I want a damn good guarantee with Fitz etc. If you will guarantee that we can draft a day-1 winning starting QB, I will buy you many steak dinners and terminate my quest for a Vet. ((just can’t do that)) ((no rebuilding years here anymore))

Now to punctuate this thing on Smith, let’s say we can do a deal with KC and not want a long-term deal…IF we don’t get the apprentice QB that can start sooner rather than later, Keim could place the Franchise Tag on Smith for 2019 and try the draft again in 2019 for a QB… As I repeat ~ no sure things drafting, but we still need to try…take care …appreciate the exchange…

20. By Dr. G. on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

I would rather deal with quantum physics than to try to understand the compensation picks program…!*~@*” 👽 I’ll just read the results…ha!

21. By Steve on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

JTDG: The most consistent QB at the Senior Bowl I’ve read has been WSU QB Luke Falk, my sleeper choice for us to draft. I keep hearing Brown’s GM John Dorsey will make a strong push to trade for Smith and he has a boatload of draft picks to do it. Perhaps we sign FA Sam Bradford to an incentive laden deal and draft Falk in the second round to groom as our future starter. Kevin and BA were idiots for not drafting a QB to succeed Palmer.

22. By Steve on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

Darren: Any chance you will ever get to go to Mobile and report on the Senior Bowl players the Cards might be interested in? I know that you would probably rather watch paint dry than cover potential Cards draft targets lol but l think quite a few of us would be interested in what you find out.

23. By Darren Urban on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Senior Bowl

I was supposed to go this year but a coach search got in the way. But the idea of the players they “might” be interested in usually doesn’t work. They’re looking at so many that all I can/could do is talk about guys that play the positions they likely need. They don’t even know who they definitely might target.

24. By Dr. G. on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

ScottH….yeah, if you’re throwing in the towell for 2018, getting a vet QB makes little sense. But if we can produce a good season and still groom a QOTF, it is one h*** of a lot better than watching a rebuilding loser. We only need a vet for a couple years perhaps before that can begin…hopefully? That formula can be worked if done right.

I don’t see this as a totally lost team as you describe…hope I’m wrong. Just a handful of pieces and a renewed attitude, we’ll be rockin’ out. Keep 😅…

And yes, Smith can really help…check his stats history as jtdg has done and as I have and you might change your mind. If you toss in the towell, Fitz won’t want to participate. You’ve been a good Fan through thick and thin…let’s just see what happens through the Spring…OK, now go grab a cold one!

25. By Dr. G. on Jan 25, 2018 | Reply

ScottH ~ ~ forgot one question. It is rare to get a guy like Prescott…do we want to lose for a year or two while we groom a pick? I just don’t see handing the Offense to a rookie and crossing our fingers. If we get that guy, fantastic, but we need to take care of business meanwhile.

As of right now, things are better than hearing myself gripe about the long ball gambling BS that more often than not results incomplete or picked…among other such things…hoping we gotta guy who gets back to hard ball basics…be well

26. By JTDG on Jan 26, 2018 | Reply

Steve,

Luke Falk is quietly doing his thing at the Senior Bowl.

Who is Luke Falk ?
    He doesn’t have a strong arm. He plays in the Mike Leach Air Raid offense, so stats are inflated. But he stays calm in the pocket and is accurate. He is a true pocket passer as he is not going to run or scramble.

To me, he reminds me of Landry Jones. In the right offense, a good Oline, he could have a Alex Smith type career. Daniel Jeramiah compares him to Kirk Cousins. I think he can be a capable QB, I don’t see him as a Franchise QB.

2nd round? Maybe. More likely a 3rd rounder.

27. By JTDG on Jan 26, 2018 | Reply

Scott H,

I have been outspoken about moving up to get our Franchise QB all year. If you could find a way to get Darnald or Allen, you need to do it.

If you can’t, you can’t just take a QB for the sake of taking a QB.

Here is where it gets tough. Free Agency is before the draft. The ability to move up in the draft changes as teams fill needs in FA. Also, it is tough to know if you should sign a QB before you know if you can get your guy.

Let’s say the Browns sign Kirk Cousins. How does that affect the draft? Huge.
    Maybe you could jump up to get that QB. What if the Browns don’t sign anyone at QB? Maybe it is harder to get up there to get one since the Browns and Giants might take QBs .

So , do you look a different way to find your QB in March ? I think you will see 4 QBs go in the top 6 picks if the teams don’t sign Cousins. Allen, Darnald, Rosen and Mayfield will be taken in the top 6.

So, back in March, if you can’t get in the top 6 picks, you have to look at a different path. So you may sign a QB in March and look to draft something else at 15.

That is why I would make a deal with Indy or Cleveland to send Pat P for the 4th overall pick, provided my QB is there at 4. Then sign a stop gap QB like Stanton or Gabbert. Why Pat P? Because he is the only player who would be worth the pick. The Browns need a CB badly. Pat P is the best CB in football. It makes sense.

Would Cleveland take Pat P and the 15th pick for the number one overall? It might make sense, because they really like Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield would fit in Cleveland also. They get their QB and CB and could take a receiver or safety at 15.

I would explore every option and don’t think something is impossible, because it seems it might be. But if I had to sign my QB in March, it would be because I couldn’t get up into the top 6 or at felt I couldn’t.

28. By Scott H on Jan 26, 2018 | Reply

Dr. G. –

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I didn’t say this is a “totally lost team.” I never said that. I said I expect 2018 to be a re-set year and a year during which I am not expecting the Cardinals to be competing ( in terms of competing for the playoffs ).

That is NOT saying I think they are totally lost. The Cleveland Browns are a totally lost team. I don’t see us that way!

To answer your other question….hey, there’s no guarantee that a team has to lose for a year or two while they are re-building. BUT, for the sake of discussion, would I take a year or two of losing to come out on the other side as a team looking like a team on the serious up-swing? Easy – YEAH, I would. Shoot, I’ve endured decades of losing with things never getting better! So….a year or two of losing to become a winner again? Shoot, sign me up for that right now.

29. By Big Ken on Jan 26, 2018 | Reply

I think Cleveland would need to give up more than the first pick in round one for the Cardinals 15th pick and Patrick P.

30. By JTDG on Jan 26, 2018 | Reply

Big Ken,

Maybe you are right.

But more to the point is that if you want to get your QB, you need to make a deal before FA. You can’t skip FA and then hope to move up on draft day.

You need to know ahead of time you have a deal in place, or you have to move in FA with a QB.

BTW, The Cleveland coach is living on borrowed time. Can he afford to draft a QB and wait for him to develop? I don’t know. They have tons and tons of cap money. If anyone can cash whip Kirk Cousins or trade and sign Alex Smith is them.

If you could send Pat P and the Badger for the top pick, would you? I think I would have to. If you are the Browns and you sign Cousins, landing Pat P and Badger fills two huge holes for the Browns. Then, with the 4th overall, the Browns could grab RB Barkley and now they are in business.

The cards end up with their QB and have the 15th overall pick and free up 15 million in cap room and 30 million in 2019.

So Big Ken or Darren or anyone else, do you make that trade?

31. By steve on Jan 26, 2018 | Reply

We need a true center! PLEASE! Our offensive line starts there. It has been a long time since a pro bowl caliber center has played for Arizona!

32. By . G. on Jan 26, 2018 | Reply

jtdg ) ~ trade deal ? Either one in a NY minute…in a heart beat…in a finger snap…and whistling loudly on the other end. Good organized stuff jtdg…

33. By Dr. G. on Jan 26, 2018 | Reply

Darren…Congrats on you son getting involved in hoops and maybe other sports. My son played hoops for the Vikings in Phx….it was great for him…I never missed a game. And for the experience looking back, it was great…. I know you’re busy, but, you’ll have good memories if you try to make as many games as possible, regardless of the level, and he will always appreciate your interest. Be well….

34. By Scott H on Jan 27, 2018 | Reply

JTDG –

Yes, I know you have been on board with taking a QB in the draft But as typical, you look at all the options and possible routes to getting a QB and you have a plan for each of them. You are amazing that way!

And, I agree – NO, you don’t take q QB in the draft just to take a QB. You either target THE QB you think is the right guy and you get into position to get him ( which I prefer ) or you go another route if that guy is just not there or you can’t get THE guy you want.

It won’t be the worst thing ever if they don’t draft anyone this year BUT they go hard after some other badly needed pieces ( OL, DL, CB ) that we need anyway ( just as badly ) and they add the QB next year. Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither will the Cardinals be.

Hence my thinking that if you’re not drafting the QB THIS year, then just hold onto Drew Stanton and let him hold down the fort. I’d rather do that than trade for Alex Smith or Nick Foles.

35. By JTDG on Jan 27, 2018 | Reply

Scott,

I agree. If I could not trade up to land my QB, I would just resign Stanton and Gabbert or someone like them and draft other positions.

I really don’t know if this guy will fall to 15, but if ILB Tremaine Edmunds is there, I take him. I remember how high I was on Khlil Mack in 2014 and Leonard Williams in 2015, Jalen Ramsey in 2016. Unfortunately, they all went to high.

That might be the case with Edmunds, but he is in that class of player. My fear is the Niners pair him with Rueben Foster. That will be like 6-7 years ago when the niners had young and healthy Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis.

Vita Vea, the huge DT fits what carolina has done for years. Big run stuffing tackles to allow the LBs to run and tackle.

Can you turn down Derwin James if he was there? Stud safety who can cover and play the box. Pair him with Budda and you really have something.

Or finally get that CB in Mike Hughes, a guy with great feet who can flat out cover.

Then there is the Oline. Of course, this is a good draft for Oline. There are a half dozen centers in this draft who can start, beginning with James Daniels and Billy Price, or stud guards like Will Hernandez and Isaiah Wynn.

Finally, you have the receivers. Christian Kirk is a playmaker, But you have at least 15 guys that I would take. Calvin Ridley and Courtland Sutton to Michael Gallup, Daeshaun Hamilton, Allen Lazard, Dante Pettis, TreQuan Smith, DJ Chark, to Deontay Burnett

This is a draft where you can fill a lot of needs if Keim can draft correctly.

For instance, if he took (what I suggested before the draft) Tredavious White, JuJu Smith Shuester and Pat Elflien in the first 3 rounds , the team would have been better and filled more holes in 2017.

36. By lloyd wolf on Jan 27, 2018 | Reply

I am certain everyone posting here and all the fans of the team hope for success of the group of coaches being assembled. No doubt about that. The one thing I cannot get over is the rejection of the two best offensive assistance that turned the team down. This really gnaws at me. On top of that not going after Nagy when he was available and not waiting for the dude in Philly is troubling to me as well. Taking your car to get a tune-up and the guy at the dealership also says you need new windshield wipers….your answer is just give me the windshield wipers…that is what the FO did here. The obvious issue was the Offense. I think the dirty little secret is not having a QB in place chased and is chasing every one away (duh). I will not be surprised if Wilks turns out to develop into a good coach BUT given the choice of what they have, if I was writing the check I would have gone with McCoy on top…far from my first choice, but the over-arching issue is the offense One more point….enough of Wilks EQ and football IQ.

Oh yeah, another analogy. Lord forbid if you are not well…want to go to an incompetent physician who is a real nice guy or one with no bedside manner and really has his stuff locked down….Like Todd Haley….just sayin’.

37. By JME on Jan 27, 2018 | Reply

Can somebody tell me why everyone likes Josh Allen so much? He is kinda overrated in my opinion, Bad accuracy with 56% and the only thing he’s got going for himself is his size.

I’d rather get Mason Rudolph, same size with better stats and consistency.
    Accuracy at 65%

I think it might be smart to actually trade back in the 1st to get Rudolph and an extra 3rd round pick

Then trade two of our 3rd round picks and a seventh round to acquire another second round pick.

So it would look like this:
    1st round would be a QB
    then you got 2 second round picks and a 3rd comp pick where you get an OL/WR/CB

It’s just science..

38. By JTDG on Jan 27, 2018 | Reply

JME,

Did you watch his Josh Allen’s Bowl Game and the Senior Bowl practices and game??

If you did, you would see why everyone is talking about Allen.

39. By Scott H on Jan 29, 2018 | Reply

JTDG –

I ALWAYS appreciate the effort and detail you take in your responses to myself and others. But because I just don’t follow the college game and just don’t know who any of these guys are….I often feel like your efforts are wasted on me! I feel like they just go way over my head. You lay out options and pose questions to me that I can’t even respond to!

Wish I could offer more when it comes to the draft and prospects at different positions, but I really just can’t.

But I will continue to follow your thoughts on this.

In terms of positions – beyond QB, which is obvious – I look at OL, DL, and CB as areas I hope they will hit hard this off-season. It has been such a shame that PP has never really had a REAL complement on the other side, ya know? And it will be a real shame to see that continue. Almost has felt like they have been content to trust that PP will cover one side of the field so effectively, they could get by with sub-par players on the other side. And even if that has NOT been the mind-set….well, that’s how it has always ended up, hasn’t it??

While PP is still in his prime, it would be great to see this defense have someone on the other side who can complement him with some REAL ability of their own.

40. By Scott H on Jan 29, 2018 | Reply

OK, let me make a counter to my own post from above – for ONE season, with Cromartie in 2014, there WAS a real complement to PP on the other side of the field. And how sweet that was! But the general point still stands.