Larry Fitzgerald says he isn’t thinking about QB

Posted by Darren Urban on February 1, 2018 – 10:35 am

Larry Fitzgerald’s long round at Wednesday’s Waste Management Phoenix Open pro-am created a time crunch at the end of the day because Fitz had a flight to catch to his home state of Minnesota and the current Super Bowl festivities in which he is now taking part. That meant he had to forego interview requests as he hustled off the course.

There would have been questions about whether he will play this season, questions that Fitz at this point would likely have left unanswered. There was one detail I did get to briefly ask about before he climbed in his car — Do you have to know who the quarterback will be in order to make your decision?

“I haven’t thought about any of that stuff, seriously,” Fitzgerald said.

UPDATE: Fitz was thinking about it a couple of days later at the Super Bowl.

Earlier this week, new offensive coordinator Mike McCoy said that in his short conversation Fitzgerald was “excited” about the new staff. Both friend Kurt Warner and Fitzgerald’s father have been quoted of late saying they don’t know what Fitzgerald will do but believe he will play. Teammate Patrick Peterson, also golfing Wednesday, was of similar mindset.

“We don’t talk football once the season is over, but my gut feeling is he’ll be back,” Peterson said. “He’s playing too well to hang it up.”

Tags: , , ,

65 Responses to “Larry Fitzgerald says he isn’t thinking about QB”

1. By D on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Larry will be back.

I noticed as of late a local sports media member almost pushing for Josh McCown to come back to the Cards as a mentor/bridge QB. Talk about full circle.
    8 teams in total for Josh. I believe his first pass or first TD was to Larry Fitz.
    He would be a good mentor, but I think it would be hard to sell Josh as the Cards “going for it in 2018”.

2. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Why should he worry about the QB?

From 2010 through 2012, the cardinals marched out ;
    Derek Anderson
    John Skelton
    Max Hall
    Kevin Kolb
    Ryan Lindley
    Brian Hoyer

With many of these same guys in and out of the line up all 3 years. So what did Fitz do?

He made the pro bowl all 3 years and his stat line was;

241 catches, 3346 yards, and 18 TDs.

Can you imagine what he would have done with Joe Montana and Steve Young (yes, I’m talking to you Jerry Rice)

So, does it matter who QBs? After all, Fitz will do his thing if you or I were the QB.

BTW, he will be number 2 in catches and yards after this season and at the same age as Jerry Rice, will have more yards and catches. He is the GOAT.

3. By Darren Urban on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: You or I

I will not speak for you, John, but I know Fitz’s stats would be terrible if I was the QB. Just sayin’.

4. By Scott H on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Give us another year, Larry. The golf course will wait and you’ve got the rest of your life to enjoy that.

And of course, if you do play in 2018, I’ll be asking you to give us another year in 2019! Still plenty of time for the golf course.

IF Fitz is truly basing his decision on whether he thinks he can still play at a high level, above all other factors, I don’t see how he can walk away now. He was still playing like a beast less then a month ago! How do you go from that to thinking you can’t do it anymore??

I’ve swung around on this to now feeling optimistic he WILL play.

5. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

A look at QBs in the upcoming draft;

1. Sam Darnald – He is the top QB coming out. He is ultra athletic, big arm and smart. While some compare him to Andrew Luck, I heard Daniel Jeremiah say he reminds him of a bigger Tony Romo in the fact he is so confident in his abilities, he will sometime force throws. But he is a winner.

2. Josh Rosen – He is very much a clone of Jared Goff. I wasn’t real high on Goff coming out, but he has become a solid QB under the right system. Rosen has been described as the most NFL ready, which is funny, as he could be sitting behind Manning.

3. Josh Allen – Amazing athletically, he is hard to sack and has a plus, plus, plus arm. To me, I see a young Brett Favre. Remember, Favre has more TDs than anyone in history, but also more INTs. Allen will make you say no, no, no, yes!!! on plays like Favre did. Best arm I have seen in a long time.

4. Baker Mayfield – Is he Russell Wilson or Johnny Manzel? Small QB with the ability to escape. Has a strong arm and can make all the throws. Came ready to the Senior Bowl in spite his Mother is in the hospital. He left during the game to be with her. Showed maturity and character by trying to fulfill his obligation to Senior Bowl while getting back to his mother.

5. Mike White – Ready to play day one in NFL. I watched his play in the Senior Bowl a few times now and other game tape. If you told me that was Alex Smith in there, I would have believed you. I remember the chiefs played on national TV early in the season and Alex Smith had a perfect game. That is the Alex Smith I saw out of Mike White at the Senior Bowl. Smart and accurate and able to look off defenders. I like him more than Rosen and Mayfield.

6. Mason Rudolph – I hear so much love/hate for this guy. After going 20 for 28 for 423 yards and 5 TDs against Pitt, he is how most scouts felt; “He’s O.K.,” said one AFC scouting director. “He’s playing in a great, quarterback-friendly offense. Probably has a top 10-caliber group of receivers. Gundy is a great coach and does an outstanding job with that offense. I’m not sold on him as a top guy…….. . Is he a system guy?

7. Luke Falk – Accurate game manager playing in a spread, air raid offense. Is he a product of the system ? I think he has talent to play in the league, but won’t be ready day one as he has to learn everything to play in the NFL, since he played in that air raid offense.

While Darnald is the top dog and look to be a franchise QB in the NFL, you have Allen who has greatness in him but will give you the WTH moments too. Rosen seems to be a solid pick but not the same ceilings as the other two. You have a 2nd – 3rd rounder in Mike White who can run an offense with a run game and good defense. Then you have 3 guys with risk. Boom or Bust.

6. By mitchaz on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

If an NFL team wants to maximize its chances for winning a Super Bowl, it needs to draft a promising QB in the 1st round, put complete faith in him, coach him well, surround him with a good supporting cast and stay true to the course.

When one looks at the last 14 Super Bowl winning QBs [Tom Brady (4), Peyton Manning (2), Eli Manning (2), Ben Roethlisberger (2), Russell Wilson (1), Joe Flacco (1), Aaron Rodgers (1), Drew Brees (1)]…what do 7 of 8 of them have in common?

Answer: 7 of the 8 were drafted by the team they won the Super Bowl with. Exception: Drew Brees (drafted by the Chargers and won with the Saints).

Of the 8 QB, how many of them were drafted in the 1st 32 picks of the draft?

Answer: 6 of 8. The anomalies are Tom Brady (200) and Russell Wilson (75).

Of the 8 QBs how many of them played for the same head coach in the prime years of their career?

Answer: 8 of 8. Brady—Belichick; P. Manning—Dungy; E.Manning—Coughlin; Roethlisberger—Tomlin; Wilson—Carroll; Flacco—J. Harbaugh; Rodgers—McCarthy; Brees—Payton.

Note: of those who are still playing—6 of 7 are still with their head coaches.

You want to win a Super Bowl?

1. Draft a QB, preferrably in Round 1.
    2. Keep him with the same head coach.
    3. Stick with him through the growing pains.
    4. Surround him with a good supporting cast.
    5. Stay true to the course.

Does it matter if the head coach is offensive minded?

Answer: No. Just ask Bill Belichick, Tony Dungy, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll and John Harbaugh.

7. By Aaron Allery on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Hire Van Pelt as the QB coach and then trade Green Bay for Aaron Rodgers in exchange for 3 first round draft picks. Clear whatever cap space is necessary. Is Arizona’s approach too much “wait and see” what’s left? Watch for signs of dissonance and distress and stroke strategically. Just a thought. I know I will get bashed on here by a bunch of people but this is all I have to say:

“Son, we live in a world that has endzones, and those endzones have to be scored into by Cardinals.. Who’s gonna do it? You Kirk Cousins? You, Baker Mayfield? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Carson Palmer and you curse his retirement. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Palmer’s retirement, while tragic, probably gives the Cardinals opportunities. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, illuminates those opportunities! You don’t want the truth, because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties, you want Aaron Rodgers on that wall. You need Rodgers on that wall. We use words like “trust”, “commitment”, “accountability”. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent scoring touchdowns and shutting down fools. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to men who rise and sleep under the blanket of the very freedom that the Cardinal’s inaction provides, and then questions the manner in which I brainstorm to help my favorite team. I would rather you just said “thank you”, and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a Cardinals roster, and look at it. There are no damn QBs under contract! Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to!”

8. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

You or I;

Yeah, maybe I went too far. I’m thinking a lot of fades and wr screens. I think I could do those two. 🙂

9. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Mitchaz;

I agree with your concept completely but Manning also won for a team that did not draft him (Broncos)

10. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

D,

Josh McCown;

I have been think about him also. Talk about a perfect bridge QB. If you had a Josh Allen (because you actually trade up to get him), or a Mike White, (because Keim won’t trade up) McCown would be perfect to play 3, 5, 7, 10 games till he was ready and then mentor him on the sideline.
    I really like that idea.

11. By John S. on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

I’m pretty sure Larry wants/ready to play next year, but imagine probably like many veteran players it is the thought of drawn out training camps, all the practices, workouts, and basically the daily grinds before game days. I guess thinking of that aspect of it all can be less attractive to want to go through over the years; especially right after the end of a season. Cross your fingers folks, and hopefully he’ll be in uniform come next season.
    The possible coming of more musical chairs with QB’s could get interesting. Consider the possibility I read of the Vikings GM just letting go of all 3 FA QB’s they have (Bridgewater, Bradford, Keenum) and signing Cousins. Helps open money to sign him, and a better shot for Cousins to be with a winner and/or SB contender faster that he would dig. Hmmmmmm… that scenario just might be a win-win situation for both parties? Might upset Elway/Denver’s plans though, lol!
    Anyway, bet it would have some teams reconsidering what to do, and could affect the draft order further as well depending… and maybe helping the Cards position?

12. By michael on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Yes, that is a brilliant idea: putting a 38 year old journeyman QB behind the porous O-line that we have…

Come on people.

13. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Fixing the O-Line should be a top priority…. Without a better O-Line even Tom Brady wouldn’t succeed in a Cards uniform. The Cards should find a Veteran free agent QB and then pick a QB in the draft. Knowing the Cards prior history in finding a “Good” QB, I have little faith in Keim and Co. they will succeed in making the right choice……

14. By Johnson on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Today is the 9 anniversary of that famous catch that stopped Larry from potentially winning MVP of Super Bowl 43. NFL.com doesn’t publish much about the Cardinals, but they did publish this and there was video that I had to relive again. Santonio Holmes is name that will live forever!

As for Larry coming back to the Cards, it would be great to see him jump to Number 2 in the all time list – but what wouldnt he give to win a ring, alas that will never happen.

2018-19 is going to be a major losing season – At this point with Smith out of the table, see if Bridgewater/Foles is available and get a new QB by trading up so he can learn and we can then have a better season in 2019-20

15. By jeffcardinalfan on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

we naturally discuss qb more than any other position but cards have to fix the offensive line…period. if not, the qb no matter whom he is and dj will get the heck beat out of them. as several times in the past the team needs are clear-qb, ol, wideouts, and #2corner and most times in the past cards gm didn’t do much to address those needs. the last time I remember the cards “fixing” a serious weakness was when they traded for rob moore and drafted frank sanders in the same offseason. rod graves and dennis green made the mistake of vastly overestimating ability of players on the roster. sk seems to hope that existing players suddenly play better. this offseason will be sk’s finest hour or the beginning of being replaced.

16. By Cardinale on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

I agree with NJAz, with our o-line tom brady would be nothing special. Has anyone seen a quarterback in history with more time to throw than brady? Its ridiculous! Wait let me check my 5th option here…

17. By D on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Of all of the 19 Cards soon to be UFA, I would Resign:
    1- T. Williams CB
    2- J. Bynes ILB
    3- K. Martin OLB
    4. Jar Brown WR
    Maybe A. Boone G for depth depending on free agency and the draft.

18. By Scott H on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Aaron –

Dude, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen you post here before but that post above is awesome! VERY well done! If you have not been here as a regular, that is a shame. Welcome! Shoot, we are about to head into that black hole of nothingness between the SB and the beginning of FA, so….we need all the entertainment we can get.

Come Sunday, GO PATRIOTS!!!!!

19. By Coach K on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

JTDG

I think it is very disrespectful that you keep associating Baker Mayfield to Johnny Manzel. Every single draft expert has said there is absolutely NO COMPARISON.

So I hope you will stop this petty constant attack on this kid and move on.

Compare him to Wilson and Breese like the rest of the NFL experts and lets focus on who can help us get to the Superbowl.

I’d like to hear your take on who we might trade up with to get one of the top four QB’s/ Tampa, Chicago, Cleveland?

20. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Michael, NJfan, Jeff, Cardinale;

Of course the oline needs to be repaired. I have been preaching this for 5 years. Keim has done a terrible job at building an oline. From poor draft picks to under performing FAs, it has been bad.

This is a good draft to fix things though. A release of Veldheer and Iupati clears 13 million in cap space, which it will take about 11-12 million to sign a stud guard at LG like Norwell.

You are kind of stuck with giving Humphries one more chance to see if he can play and stay healthy.

So, now you have a left side of Humphries and Norwell.

You have another 27 million to spend and I would look at a center like Ryan Jensen, who will take 8-9 million a year.

So, an oline of LT Humphries, LG Norwell and Center Jensen.

In this draft, the cards have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds.
    Looking for the RG can happen in any of the first 3 rounds.
    Quenton Nelson, Billy Price and Isaiah Wynn in round 1.
    Round 2 you could get Will Hernandez, Braiden Smith, Frank Ragnow and a Tackle who could play guard in Tyrell Crosby.

So, in the first 3 rounds, you could get that RG. Let’s say you get Will Hernandez in round 2

So, now you have LT Humphries, LG Norwell, C Jensen, and Will Hernandez at RG. I think you could get away with using Holden or Wetzel at RT for 2018.

Now, you have an oline to put a QB behind. Even a 38 year old one. and you have 3 other picks in the first 3 rounds to land a QB, receivers (which I really like several in this draft) or that star defensive guy who can make a difference.

Building an oline shouldn’t be that hard and in my example, you still have 19 million in cap room for a CB2 like Richard Sherman.

21. By El Gallo on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

“I haven’t thought about any of that stuff, seriously” -Larry Legend

In all fairness, there’s no one there to think of so I don’t blame him.

Unless SK & MM find a quality vet QB at the right price, Larry (and us) may not know what he’s doing till after the draft.
    He’d get a clear picture of the rest of the supporting cast as well.

I do think he returns (continues playing at a high level) but SK & CO have to do their part to make it easy for him to come back.

22. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

jeffcardinalfan;

I am known to bash Keim and have called for him to be fired. But I also got to be fair.

Our pass rush was horrible and he did trade and get Chandler Jones and drafted Marcus Golden. Now grant it, the Patriots called Keim about Jones, and if Keim had his way, he takes a RB in round 2 of 2015 draft instead of Golden but the fact remains, he has Golden and Jones. That is a pretty good duo.

He also has done a pretty good job at RB with DJ and company.

On the bad side;

He can’t seem to find a young option for CB2, but instead does 1 year deals with vets when his guy fails.

He pays big money for a LT and then in the next draft picks a LT and moves his LT to RT. Stupid.

His draft picks have been horrible on the oline, missing again and again. Jury is still out on Humphries.

He pays a guy who is on crutches a contract that was 4.5 million more a year than any other safety at the time, who has not played anywhere close to that contract.

His 2016 draft was a complete whiff. Nkemdiche, Brandon Williams, Boehm, Marquis Christian Harlen Miller and Cole Toner. How do you miss on everyone? And 2016 was a good overall draft.

And yes, when I was begging to draft JuJu Smith Schuester last year, he went with another project at receiver.

So, he has been pretty bad and it is beyond me how he has kept his job.

23. By JTDG on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Josh McCown – 13 games , 2934 yards ,18 TDs, 5 rushing TDs and 9 picks

Case Keenum – 15 games , 3500 yards, 22 Tds, 1 rushing Td, and 7 ints

Keenum is estimated to get 4 years , 84 million

McCown will get 1 year 6 million.

24. By El Gallo on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

Having Larry as part of our team equation, puts us in the “Win Now” mode if he is here.

I don’t buy the thought of Fitz being around if the FO takes their time (multiple year plan) in finding all the right pieces and QBoF.

Even if starting QB is a rookie, Larry deserves a great one now.

Not next year, not a couple years, not the line of “too expensive to move up or trade”..
    Now, he deserves Now.
    (I get it, it’s complicated with cap room. Other teams seem to make it work, why not us??)

He waits to see who SK brings in as Palmers successor..
    This is going to be a make or break move for SK, so make it count.

Can’t keep kicking this can down the road. Time to actually be Aggressive.

25. By JohnnyBluenose on Feb 1, 2018 | Reply

I have heard unconfirmed reports that Larry regularly reads the comments printed on this blog. Some months ago I also heard that he sometimes comments but I was not told the name that he uses. I started paying more attention and I did a little research and this is what I have uncovered. Larry’s closest childhood friend growing up in Minnesota was Mitchell Grant. Mitchell is a grandson of Bud Grant, the former head coach of the Vikings and a member of the Hall of Fame. Grant is also one of only two coaches to guide his team to both the Super Bowl and to the Grey Cup, Canada’s football championship game. Marv Levy, who coached the Buffalo Bills to four consecutive Super Bowl games, is the other one. Mitchell Grant, now known as Mitch, was a Vikings ball boy with Larry when they were both teenagers. One of our most knowledgeable contributors on this blog, in my opinion and with no disrespect to any of the others, is mitchaz. So, after much thought I have come to the conclusion that if Larry is indeed expressing an opinion on this blog then he must doing so as mitchaz. But then again, I have been wrong before. As for Larry’ s football plans….he is coming back. Let there be no doubt. But he has made other, non-football plans for one week in June. We all know that Larry likes to travel and he is an adventurer. Well, he is going on another adventure. He is going to travel by submarine to view the wreck of the Titanic. The wreck is located off the coast of Newfoundland more than two miles below the surface of the ocean. The cost of the trip is $130,000, the equivalent in today’s dollars to what a first class ticket would have cost on the Titanic’s maiden voyage 106 years ago. Some people then, like Larry today, could afford it. And then Larry will come back and help lead the Cardinals to the Super Bowl. Fake news? You tell me. But one thing is for certain…..Larry, like Arnold Schwartzenagar, will be back.

26. By El Gallo on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Players know players the best. They can see who the standouts are among all the talent in the NFL.

It’s interesting to hear possible QB names like Cousins and Foles coming from the mouth of DJ. While PP mentioning Cousins glowingly himself in recent interviews.

It’s gotta make those guys feel good if they’re interested in possibly ending up in Arizona, that they’re being talked about and wanted.

This years SB outcome may play a major role in where Foles ends up next season. Especially if he continues his progress under pressure. Return to the Desert?

27. By Aaron Allery on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

The reason I became a Cardinals fan after moving from South Dakota an Minnesota is this:

When I was working as a School Principal on the Gila River Reservation I came to know a Social Worker by the name of Diana White, a very nice lady who had a special heart for the kids down there, and, was also a Cardinals cheerleader, which I didn’t know at the time.

She called me up and said she had a friend who wanted to do something for the students at Gila Crossing Community School on the Gila River Reservation and hinted it was a Cardinal. Of course, as a school principal, my first thought was “This is my moment. I will go down in Arizona Principal History!” After that fantasy faded (maybe 24 hours), I had to wait for additional contact from Dianna (spelling?) who I only knew from working with kids from a clinical side infrequently. She called after about a week and said that Larry was going to purchase something for the school and asked what we needed. I said tablets and within a week 20 brand new Kindle Fires showed up to be integrated into classroom instruction and used in reward in the library. We put them in carts of (5) and deployed them.

It didn’t end there. We, of course, offered a formal thank you but Larry was not having it. You see Larry Legend is a super intelligent human being in the area of being able to block out inconsequential things in life just like he does in games, that is one trait that makes him so great. He said he would visit the kids at the school after the season was over to check on them.

A couple months later I received a call from Dianna saying Larry was coming to the school at the end of the week. His only requirement throughout the whole process was no press, no photo ops with dignitaries, just time interacting with kids. He showed up in the morning and brought a local news anchor with him. They spoke to our kids, some of the most impoverished in Arizona and the U.S. about holding onto their dreams and about how much they believed in them. After about an hour of mostly him with the microphone calling kids down and asking them questions and taking time to take interest in their lives he bounced out. I had his path clear out the back door so he wouldn’t be bothered by adults. We went back to school. The kids learned that people they look up to do come through when you least expect it.

I obliged Larry and never published anything about it, never even told our school board to avoid pressure/press opps and kept it as a surprise to students. I truly think he is someone who feels he gains much more from doing things for people. And that my friends is what fully banished me to the Bird Gang for life.

That being said…Aaron Rodgers for 3 first round draft picks.

28. By jacob on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

We kinda need a QB just saying.What are we gonna do when Fitz is gone? We do have a JJ Nelson and a John Brown but they dont have best hands they do have speed tho so weed need a QB with good aim to hit em. If cards get a QB and cant hit em he will throw the ball low and we will have int after int after int!!!!!!!!

29. By jacob on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Darren-
    Nice facial hair btw!!!

30. By D on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Not sure why N. Foles Name is being talked about of a possible QB get this off season. He is under contract with the Eagles in 2018. Wentz is rehabbing from an injury and may miss some of the off season, why would the Eagles trade him away? He is a solid backup QB.

I hear people say that K. Cousins may take less $ because of his prior franchise tag. People need to face reality, if A. Smith got huge jack, you know Cousin’s agent will get a bigger deal, at least more guaranteed money. If Keim was scared off by the A. Smith $, he won’t like Cousin’s demand. Cousins will be out of AZ’s price range.

Sign a lower $ QB this off season, aka; Bradford or McCown, draft a future QB and fill the multiple holes; OL, WR, TE, CB, ILB, DL – build your team with the draft and with limited amount of Cap $

31. By joe holst on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Darren players can recruit other players and it is not tampering but if coaches, GM’s do it is? Also if the Cards want to be a running team then you need a running QB and if you are looking for a cheap, small gamble with potentially huge payoff when Keim always is then your the QB you should look at is Colin Kapernick, -hate to say it but they should look at it.

32. By Darren Urban on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Joe —

RE: Recruiting

Yes, players can say whatever they want. Teams/coaches cannot.

33. By patrick on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Nice story Aaron! Thanks for sharing!

34. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

OK, I can’t help feeling a bit confused now. Right here, we have a blog titled Larry Fitzgerald says he isn’t thinking about QB.

And elsewhere on the team site, we now have a piece titled New QB Could Impact Larry Fitzgerald Decision.

OK….which way are we going, folks?

35. By Darren Urban on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Fitz

Fitz said one thing Wednesday, another thing Friday. Can only give you the latest. Wish he would have told me what he told Dan Patrick, but it is what it is.

36. By JTDG on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Coach K,

Mayfield;

Re-read what I wrote. I actually gave him credit and complimented him on his maturity and character in regards to the senior bowl/mother situation.

But He is nothing at all like Brees in his play. Nothing. Brees is a pocket passer who pushes the ball down field . Wilson and Baker are at their best when scrambling around. If experts are saying he is like Brees, got to question the experts.

As for trading up,

The Colts are sitting at 3, they seem to be a possible trading partner.

The Browns at 4th pick.

The biggest factor is Cousins. Who signs him? We know Cleveland, Denver, and Jets absolutely need QBs. We believe the Giants take a QB, but that remains to be seen. But if all 4 draft a QB, the top 4 guys are gone. But if one signs Cousins, the door opens to a drop.

Let’s say the Jets or Denver sign Cousins and the Giants take RB Barkley instead of a QB. Well, now only 2 QBs are drafted in the top 6 picks.
    You have Buffalo , who has two 1’s and two 2’s , so if their is a trade partner, Buffalo will make a strong push.

Now, if Cleveland gets Cousins, that could make things really interesting for the top pick.

I think you inquire about trading up with the top 10 teams and find out the price. Then you see where Cousins goes and then make your move.

Personally, I would be interested in what Cleveland would say to a trade for Peterson and Mathieu. The Browns need a CB and safety in this draft, but maybe they would take them for the top pick or at least the 4th?

37. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

D –

I agree. Cousins is going to want to get PAID. Period. After spending the last two seasons on a franchise tag contract…..are you kidding me? He is now a FA and as such, he is gonna want to get PAID.

Now, he can want whatever he wants….doesn’t mean he’s going to get it. But he has everything in his favor. He is a QB. He is a QB that has played very well at times. Several teams need QB’s right now. And Alex Smith is now off the market. He is now THE guy to have as far as everyone is concerned.

Let the bidding war begin.

Shoot, we already have Patrick Peterson coming out and saying that Cousins could put this team over the top. Gee….thanks, Pat. Way to put pressure on the organization.

And, yes, Cousins may very well end up pricing himself beyond what the Cardinals can do.

And that could very well turn out to be a blessing for the Cardinals. I would have been willing to take a chance on Peyton Manning a few years back ( when we were supposedly in the running ). But this ain’t Peyton Manning.

I still think it speaks volumes that the Redskins passed on signing on with Cousins, then went right out and made Alex Smith their guy. I mean….having been their QB for the past few seasons, there is NO ONE on the planet right now that knows more about Kirk Cousins than the Redskins. And they said no thanks. What do they know that we don’t? Don’t kid yourself – they know something. They may not be the most brilliant organization in the NFL, but….they know something. At the very least, they BELIEVE ( or don’t believe ) something based on a few years of first hand experience.

That HAS to say something. The Redskins need a QB as much as anyone else.

38. By JTDG on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Johnnybluenose;

That is some high level conspiracy thinking.

That is up there with the grassy knoll, the moon walk was filmed in a studio and Bigfoot.

mitchaz is Fitz huh….. 🙂

39. By Louis Callegari on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Guy/s it look/s like another losing season no quarterback in five years the blame is keim .

40. By JohnnyBluenose on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

JTDG…We’ve met so I already knew that you were not Larry otherwise I would have considered you strongly, along with a few others.

41. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Darren –

I’m not blaming you, sir. Or anyone, for that matter. Clearly, the stories seem to oppose each other. Heck, even some of Fitz’ own quotes from those two entries seem like that must have come from different people.

But that was not directed at you. Carry on!

42. By El Gallo on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

@D

– Foles

I hear you.

Anything is possible, just thinking aloud.

But you can see why DJ talked about him after the poise he displayed vs Minny.

Simply put, if Foles performs well and Eagles win SB..
    I imagine QB-needing teams knocking on the door is all.

43. By Scott H on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

OK, this is not a criticism or an indictment of Larry Fitzgerald. If you’ve paid attention to my posts at all over the last 10 years, you know I don’t even have it in me to find fault with Larry Fitzgerald. Heck, in that regard, I can’t even be objective about Larry Fitzgerald – because I’m not even WILLING to find fault with him.

This is merely an observation.

But his most recent comments on the QB subject….the ones where he says who the QB is means everything and how he can’t do his job at the level he would want to if the QB can’t get him the ball, etc…..well, this is now sounding like comments creating a justification for him to walk away based ENTIRELY on who the QB is. That, to my ears, is in pretty stark contrast to other previous comments about how his decision would be based on nothing but his ability to keep playing at a high level. OK. But now, clearly, the QB IS a factor in his ability to play at a high level.

And, honestly, that makes perfect sense. I believe that, and I get that. How could the QB NOT be a factor in this decision??? Absolutely, it was going to be. Where it really didn’t seem to make sense ( to me ) before, it IS making sense now.

I’m NOT accusing Fitz of being deceptive or talking out of both sides of his mouth or suddenly changing his mind. But as Darren points out, the fact that his comments were spaced apart by a couple of days almost DOES make it seem like he did change his mind a bit.

But really, I don’t think he’s changed his mind. I think he is just expanding on what his thought process was going to be all along. He’s not saying anything that comes as a shock. Not to me, anyway.

Is anyone else seeing any of this in a similar vein?

44. By Rimrockcard on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Aaron…………i`m not sure you can handle the truth

45. By Jon Duran on Feb 2, 2018 | Reply

Truth of the matter is, Larry Fitzgerald is a uniquely intelligent human being and footballer. There is ZERO reason to analyze or question his situation. He’s also loyal, driven and respectful. IF HE’S HEALTHY AND PHYSICALLY CAPABLE OF PLAYING THE GAME. HE’LL PLAY…AND HE IS.

46. By faster on Feb 3, 2018 | Reply

i did read a lot of names, and each and every has one addition, RISK.

with one exception, nick foles.

first, foles is under contract with the eagles, but he will not play next year, that`s wentz job.
    second, foles has a contract for 18, with about 7,6 mio, a steal, if he plays like he did in the last games.
    to put that in relationship, if our team takes a qb in the draft with the 15 pick, the quaranteed money for the 15 pick would be as high as foles salary, and the risk a lot higher.
    the eagles go with wentz, and they will get some value of foles, so expect them open to a trade. no, they will want a trade, because next year foles will be a FA.

so, offer the eagles a second rounder, and maybe a conditional pick for 19.
    and get a qb to test for the next season, who, if he plays like this year, is the qb of our future.

47. By Patrick on Feb 3, 2018 | Reply

I think most agree the Cardinals need a veteran quarterback for 1 year and draft a quarterback of the future preferably in round 1. Although most disagree with who those quarterbacks should be. Fans have a right to be the g.m. And now players are being the g.m. If I was the g.m. The perfect veteran quarterback for 1 year to play and help mold the quarterback of the future is … Carson Palmer. If I was Keim, Fitz, McCoy, Wilks, I would be trying to lure him out of retirement for 1 year.

48. By Scott H on Feb 3, 2018 | Reply

Patrick –

RE: Talking Palmer out of retirement

I thought about the Cardinals pursuing that option as well. I agree that the best possible scenario we could have would be Palmer playing another year while we ( hopefully ) find our QBOF in the draft. What’s not to like?

I just don’t see it happening. The door was open to Palmer. This job was his, period, if he wanted it. But the fact that he didn’t even wait to see what was going to happen with the coaching staff tells me he wasn’t really considering playing another year. I think he was ready and I think that door is closed for good.

I wish it weren’t.

49. By Chris G. on Feb 3, 2018 | Reply

Larry has a lot of things going on in the off season. Me, on the other hand, I’m bored out of my mind. If it weren’t for the new coaching staff and hunting for the QBOTF, I would probably have to paint the house or something worse. Instead, I can read this blog and keep football in my life all year long. I think the trade of Smith helps our chances in the draft to land a QB. The Refskins have Smith now, Jets or the Broncos will go for Cousins and that takes fewer teams picking in front of us out of the QB mix. Someone could always jump in front of us like last year. I’m guessing maybe the only 3-4 might go for a QB ahead of us as it stands now. The QB position is surely important but, the O-line is such a glaring need that it needs to take just as much urgency. We went 3-4 with Palmer and 5-3 after he got injured. The defense finished strong and with backups under center we managed 5-3. Make the O-line solid, make the great defense even better, fix the woeful special teams, plug in a Keenumesque quarterback, draft a young gun, and let’s roll. Sounds easy.

50. By Coach K on Feb 3, 2018 | Reply

JTDG

Okay, you did write a good follow up comment on Mayfield so that’s fair.

I must say that I totally agree with you on Mike White. I think this guy is going to be the steal of this draft. His play in the Senior Bowl was outstanding considering the short time he had to play with the players around him, he was dropping dimes on perfect passes you would see if he worked for many weeks with those receivers. And like Falk, White is very accurate and in the NFL that is a huge deal. I heard that Kurt Warner thinks White is the most NFL ready QB in this entire class. Shocking considering the talent in this class.

I would like to see Keim play it smart by bringing in a quality veteran starter and possibly draft Mike White in round two. I say round two because after the combine, I don’t think White will last until round three.

I would not mind Falk in round three, but you are correct, he would require more time to adapt to the NFL game under center. I do like Falk’s accuracy and short passing game. After all, that is what makes Tom Brady so excellent is his short passing game and accuracy to those scat backs.

So many options, but Cousins scares me a little on the price tag. Perhaps Keim could work a miracle in the contract and load the money on the back end allowing some cap space for key free agents on the offensive line. We shall see.

51. By Scott H on Feb 3, 2018 | Reply

faster –

RE: Foles

Well, I think the risk you DO have with Foles is summed up in that one big word – IF. IF, meaning IF he plays like he did this year….there is still plenty of risk with him. But maybe no more or less than we would have had with Alex Smith or Kirk Cousins…..

Also, keep in mind, I would be careful of what you are really referring to when you refer to how Foles played this year. Because if you’re looking at all of it, you have to look at the late season games he played against Oakland and Dallas – one of which had many Eagles fans suggesting that perhaps they were better off with their 3rd string QB going into the playoffs than they were with Foles – and even his first two quarters against Atlanta.

I’ve seen all of those games and Foles has really only played about 6 quarters of good to VERY good football this year. Granted, there are still 4 more quarters to be played.

The risk you have with Foles is that his play in a very limited number of games could put the Eagles in a position where they can name their price for Foles in a trade. And that price could be steep. For a QB who is no sure thing.

The risk is absolutely there, simply because the price to obtain him could be pretty steep. And if he plays well in – and wins – the Super Bowl….oh, it is going to be steep.

Also, keep in mind, Carson Wentz is NOT going to be ready to go in September next season. He’s not. Some estimates have him back some time in Oct. So, he is not a totally disposable luxury for the Eagles. He might be their STARTING QB in 2018. And THAT might only drive the asking price up even more for Nick Foles. I wonder if people are factoring that into their thought process.

52. By Dan Nicholson on Feb 3, 2018 | Reply

Darren
    Re: Salary cap
    I cannot remember for sure, but let’s say the Cardinals go after Kirk Cousins, could they offer more money that’s guaranteed and have his per year @ 24- 25 million to help cap space for others? What I am wondering does the guaranteed count against cap.

53. By Darren Urban on Feb 4, 2018 | Reply

Dan —

RE: Guarantees

Guaranteed money doesn’t mean anything against the cap as long as the player is on the roster. If he’s cut, that could add dead money as opposed to it being washed away with the cut.

54. By Tucson Card on Feb 3, 2018 | Reply

@johnnybluenose;
    That’d be hilarious if mtchaz was fitz. I’m curious, what are your sources that claim fitz regularly reads and comments on this blog?

On another topic…qb…. availability this year is pretty decent via FA, trade, and draft. I wouldn’t mind being aggressive in trade/FA and get someone like foles or bridgewater and draft a stud cb2 in round 1. There’s a lot of qb needy teams this year. I seriously doubt one of the top prospects falls to us at 15. Maybe we could draft a white/Faulk/Rudolph in rd 2.

Either way..this will be an exciting off-season!

55. By JCH on Feb 3, 2018 | Reply

Darren-
    Aye when will the cardinals tickets go out for sale? Im a GA guy myself and i love the Arizona Cardinals and i need to know about when to have my eye out for Arizona vs Atlanta tickets. So about what time will the tickets go on sale?

56. By Darren Urban on Feb 4, 2018 | Reply

JCH —

RE: Tickets

Each team puts their tickets out at their own schedule. You’d have to check with the Falcons.

57. By Dr. G. on Feb 3, 2018 | Reply

ScottH ~ ~ Much of what I have posted the past couple months is being repeated and echoed here, so I’m kinda hanging back for now with not much news being reported. I watch the FAs and the QB situation closely.

I was kidding, but you may remember that I said you or Darren could be the QB and you can be assured that Fitz will return….he’s not about to leave all those stats on the table. We don’t see him brag as some players do, but he is not ignoring getting to Mesospheric numbers…it is a no-brainer for him barring injury or other mishap.

Our Crew will not choose a #1 iffy QB on purpose! It’s ridiculous to think that we’ll just get leftovers…too much at stake. We’ll be OK as a team over all.

58. By Steve on Feb 4, 2018 | Reply

Coach K, JTDG: I have not seen Mike White play but after reading the scouting report on him over at NFL.com, I wouldn’t get to excited just yet. They basically label him as a back-up at best in the NFL. I believe there are 7 QBs in this draft who are future starters in this league: Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, Rudolph and Falk all make the cut. It’s imperative that we get one of them in this draft, I would be happy with any of them.

59. By JTDG on Feb 4, 2018 | Reply

Steve,

Mike White; Something to consider;

White is 6-feet-4, 221 pounds, and as important, he posted 63 touchdowns, 15 interceptions with 66.4 percent completions and a passer rating of 158.1 at Western Kentucky.

Strong arm, accurate, and takes care of the ball.

I read the scouting report you mentioned and yes, he isn’t mobile. He is called a plodder. But so was Brady. In the right offense and you strengthen the inside of the oline, plodders can be effective.

Again, I would take Darnald or Allen first, but if I couldn’t get there, yes I grab him in round 2.

60. By JohnnyBluenose on Feb 4, 2018 | Reply

Tuscon Card….you may not be old enough to know about Bob Woodward’s anonymous source during the Watergate scandal but he was known then as DEEP THROAT. I cannot reveal my source’s real name at the present time although you may want to ask Darren because he may know. My source refers to himself as DEEP THREAT, a name synonymous with Larry when he was younger and he appeared about the same mitchaz (as Larry) first began to post. I believe DEEP THREAT but I can understand that some of you have doubts.

61. By Dan Nicholson on Feb 4, 2018 | Reply

Darren –
    Thanks for the information on guaranteed money

62. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Feb 5, 2018 | Reply

Foles was great last night, but he’s not a free agent after this season, which I thought he was. One more year on contract, plus as mentioned above, Wentz rehab is no guaranteed as mentioned above. He’s not going anywhere and Foles seems like a down-to-earth guy who would be content to stay for next season and then test free agency after 2018 season is over. The amount this team would have to give up in draft picks would make acquiring him via trade too rich for the Cardinals. We need every pick in the draft to address the offensive line and perhaps snag a QB in the first or second round.

63. By Aaron Allery on Feb 6, 2018 | Reply

If the Cardinals are looking at Sam Bradford I will have to re-evaluate my fandom. Are you serious? Every Cards fan I have talked with is scared to death of this. What a colossal waste of time and money.

64. By Scott H on Feb 6, 2018 | Reply

Foles was flawless on Sunday. Wow. Do I really believe he can take that same level of play anywhere? No….not really. But I would take him over Cousins or Bradford or Bridgewater at this point.

But obtaining him will involve a trade. And that puts the Eagles in the most enviable position of being able to ask whatever the hell they want to for him.

If you were thinking about Foles as our next QB, Sunday didn’t do you any favors.

2. Feb 4, 2018: Cardinals Blogs | Fitz timeline: Decision likely “in a week or two”