Cornerback signs with tie to Wilks

Posted by Darren Urban on February 12, 2018 – 2:52 pm

The Cardinals signed a cornerback Monday — Lou Young, who has been around since 2014 and has had stints with the Panthers, Broncos, Ravens, Redskins and Jaguars. Much of the time was spent on practice squads, and he was with Washington in the 2017 preseason before he was released and did not play anywhere else during the season.

But Young did play six games for Carolina in 2016, when Steve Wilks was the defensive backs coach, and he was with Carolina in 2015 as well. And his arrival is a reminder of how chunks of the roster often look when a new coach arrives — it’s never a surprise to see a few friendly faces brought in. It’s a natural move. When possible, coaches want to know what they are working with.

When Dennis Green was hired, one-time Vikings like cornerback Robert Tate, offensive lineman Everett Lindsay and wide receiver Chris Collins all spent at least some time in Arizona that first season. Ken Whisenhunt had guys like wide receiver Sean Morey, punter Mike Barr and tight end Tim Euhus. Bruce Arians had Drew Stanton and Jerraud Powers.

Again, it’s not necessarily a big chunk of the roster, and it doesn’t mean the Cardinals will chase lesser players just because they have a tie to a coach on staff. But as with most places of work, familiarity helps.

Tags: , , , ,

49 Responses to “Cornerback signs with tie to Wilks”

1. By JohnnyBluenose on Feb 12, 2018 | Reply

mitchaz….congratulations on winning the Pebble Beach Pro-Am Golf Tournament on Sunday.

2. By D on Feb 12, 2018 | Reply

C. Latimer WR, played for McCoy in Denver is a UFA in March. Cards need WRs.

Star Lotulelei, DT, from the Panthers will be a UFA in March, could be a nice replacement for the probable retirement of Frosty Rucker.

I don’t believe AZ will be able to afford A. Norwell since he will be the highest paid Guard come free agency.

3. By Scott H on Feb 12, 2018 | Reply

JohnnyBlue –

That is funny, dude! Good lord, this thing has really taken on a life of its own, hasn’t it? But I like that there is a core here with a sense of humor and isn’t afraid to be silly.

Really, what the hell else are we gonna do for the next few months until any real meaningful football activity starts?

As the great Jimmy Buffett once said – if we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.

4. By thenickster94 on Feb 12, 2018 | Reply

I know Lou Young doesn’t pop off the page, but I’m sure there were other “familiar” players he could have picked up. Maybe I would hope he also saw something in him during his time in Carolina, flashed some kind of potential. Especially since that was the only defense he played regular season snaps for. I think the word choice for lesser player is just foul, some players can thrive in different systems with different pieces around them. Its far to early to consider or even imply Young is a lesser player, he might have a career year, who was Josh Norman before 2015?

5. By DZ on Feb 12, 2018 | Reply

I hope we resign Stanton. Love that dudes attitude both holding the clip board and on the field. I would be totally fine going into the season this year with him behind center while the young buck QB learns/earns his way. (yes, I for one do not want another retread) I am hoping we draft Mason Rudolph, he is the diamond in the rough. And in the right environment will be more successful than the rest, excluding Josh Allen. And we don’t need to sell the farm to get him.

I needed a little Cards fix so I recorded the Cards vs. Steelers Super Bowl on the NFL channel and watched it today. I haven’t watched it since that fateful night in 2009.
    I got to tell you, I miss that team.
    The O line played above their grade level. Gritty and never gave up on plays.
    Warner, well what can you say that hasn’t already been said. The Master.
    Fitz, Bolden, Breaston. Fitz became LARRY, LARRY, LARRY that game.The best trio that year by far. What could have it been like if they all stayed here. Wow..
    Edge and Hightower were Beasts..
    The D line- Dockett was a mauler and baller. Loved him. He would hit someone and then stand over them and remind them who just blew them up. Nasty.. Campbell was a rookie and making his mark.
    Bertrand Berry- A Sack machine.
    Antonio Smith- a force on every play but not mentioned much in this game.
    Dansby, Hayes, Okeafor, LaBoy, Beisel.. All studs and played big in that game.
    A Dub was the Alpha Beast on that team and was all over the place. He also would have a word or two for the fool he just flattened.
    DRC Mike Adams and Antrel Rolle had a great game and all they will be remembered for is the one in a million catch and touchdown with just over 35 seconds left in the game.
    People want to say this years Super Bowl was the best ever. I guess it could be if you like Arena Football where there is absolutely no defense at all.
    But the Cards Super Bowl had it all and then some.
    I thought I would be depressed again after watching it but I was wrong. I was proud of that team because they busted their ass and left it all on the field. They were never out of any game in their minds.
    Thanks to all of you for representing the Cards and Arizona in the GREATEST SUPER BOWL OF ALL TIME..

6. By Eric G on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

That does it! Here comes the Super Bowl now. Are we seriously reporting on 3rd string cbs? Of course we are when the number 2 cornerback position is so weak.

7. By Scott H on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

I’m echoing some of the statements from the previous blog about the contract extension for Keim.

I just don’t get it.

I’m not saying Keim has done a lousy job or that he should be fired. At least, not today. There were probably a few occasions during the past 12 months when I was saying those things. I won’t say those things now, but….

An extension? I’m sorry, I just don’t see where he’s earned that. NOT for the next 4-5 years. Based on…..what??

I don’t even think this point is up for debate – he has missed on TOO MANY of our first and second round picks. We’ve got very little to show for those. And when you miss on too many of those, it has to have an impact. Period. And it has.

Next, he has had NO success in drafting a QB.

He has very little success ( really, has he had ANY?? ) drafting O-lineman. And the impact from that failure is everywhere you look over the last few seasons.

And last off-season??? C’mon. Please. It was a pathetic job during free agency by any reasonable standard. But the fact that HE himself prefaced that pathetic showing by vowing aggressiveness during FA? No. That is not forgotten, let alone forgiven.

Justin Bethel as your opening day starter at CB because you did NOTHING to up-grade OR EVEN TO TRY TO PROVIDE ANY DECENT COMPETITION at that position?? No. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Steve Keim should not be walking into a 4-5 year contract extension coming out of these failures.

I don’t get it. As far as I’m concerned, as a fan, these people in this front office work for me. They work for us. Because without us – the fans – they don’t have the jobs they have OR the very good lives they have because of those jobs.

Keim’s contract extension isn’t sitting well with me. I think he needed to achieve more to justify that. And it’s shame that more that wasn’t required of him by ownership. Why not a two-year extension? Why not something that would have sent a message that certain things need to be ACHIEVED before you get a longer committment from this organization?

I could have swallowed that a lot more easily than I can swallow this, I’ll tell ya that.

8. By D on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Pro Bowl Kicker, G. Gano from the Panthers will be a UFA in March. Although he is turning 31 in April, he still is 12 years younger than P. Dawson. Releasing Dawson would save $3 mil. Gano was a teammate in 2016 of A. Lee, AZ punter .

9. By creditcard on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Re: Keim’s extension.

This is the classic case of not seeing the forest because the trees are in the way.

I’ve seen this in my professional life. The CEO is sooooooooo close to the board, and they become buds. No matter what knucklehead move is made, the board just sees a buddy. Independence is lost.

I just don’t see a 4-5 yr extension for doing a substandard job. Extend his contract for 1-yr. Drafts have been poor to average. Addressing known concerns (future QB, CB, OL) is a complete air-ball.

Independence of Keim’s extension was totally lost.

10. By Scott H on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

And right on cue, we have Bidwill coming out and saying they will be aggressive in regard to the QB position….will leave no stone un-turned.

Man, talk about un-zipping your fly. But….OK.

It’s been said. And we’ve all heard it. Now, the actions need to follow.

There is NO WAY Michael Bidwill can use the A-word here and now, NOT being aware of what happened when his GM used the A-word last off-season. NO WAY he can’t be aware of of how that is coming across to the fan base. Not if he has been paying attention at all.

Like I said, the fly has been un-zipped. Now it’s time to….um…..well, something’s gotta happen.

11. By Dr. G. on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Bluenose, D, Scott, Eric, et al… Re: Mitchaz -gone? Obviously, we aren’t able to follow every single item posted here…some may have missed the exchange a couple days ago where Mitch indicated he felt “”quote”” condescension… to the degree that he will no longer participate in this blog… ((hoping he reconsiders))

I encouraged him not to leave, perhaps to no avail. Subsequently, Darren said he would – quoting “”duck out for now, at least for a while.”” So, fwiw, it’s disappointing that sensitivity has seized to some degree…perhaps better than escalation.

All our opinions are sometimes met with very descriptive disagreement. In sports especially, differing opinions drive the entertaining narrative. However, ACCURATE FACTS, when presented should conclude a position. Sadly, some people write what some fans will accept as gospel and run with speculations.

This has been one of the best blogs for the Cards…If I agree or disagree with your opinion, I will always try to provide facts and not take things personally.

Everyone is entitled to offer their points of view. ((Jim Rome says, “”Just don’t suck, and do some homework.)) Blunt, huh?

Be well Cards Fans…

12. By clssylssy on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Scott…
    Be thankful you don’t have to live in Phoenix and subject to all the hyperbole the Organization is putting out! According to the spin doctors, SK is right up their with Billichick, Elway, Schneider, better than Ozzie Newsome,lol, but nonetheless, is unable to put together an 0-line, draft, write good contracts, attract youthful playmakers (who aren’t handed to us as was the case with Chandler Jones) or think proactively or act AGGRESSIVELY when players like Jimmy G. or Alex Smith are available and then missed on.
    Just when things were looking somewhat hopeful, I read that MB needs SK for his security blanket because he’s “homegrown”??? Reading between the lines that is Graves 2.0 (only Graves at least signed some of our best players and took us to a SB) Arg…perhaps that has been our problem in being TOO conservative in trying new things!!!
    And, a suggestion to Michael Bidwill. Fans are sick of hearing the word “aggressive” thrown around to the point where it has lost any meaning, so please find a new word of the day, week, year, decade…
    While I’ve only been a Cards fan a quarter of a century (newbie by some standards such as yourself), I’m sorry but I’m not going to accept the “things are so much better now” rhetoric as an excuse to try and justify the backsliding that has occurred in the last few years.
    It angers me when coaches and players are the only individuals with any expectations for performance and accountability when they can only do their job based by the decisions made by the FO.
    In any other organization SK would be on probation at the very least for his performance not given an extention!
    Sorry, but having had a taste of success, losing is NOT an option even if MB is happy with mediocrity!

13. By JohnnyBluenose on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Dr G…I did read the exchange between Darren and mitchaz the other day. That was unfortunate. I don’t think mitchaz said that he was no longer going to comment. I think he said that he was not going to interact directly with Darren. I’m sure we will continue to hear from mitchaz (at least that is what my source, Deep Threat has told me). He will continue to read our comments and he will know that we want to read his. We know people don’t always agree and I think it is helpful if a person says why he or she disagrees but it is not helpful to rebuke someone for expressing an opinion or to not try to answer someone’s question. Unless, of course, you are Bill Belichick. I expect and hope that Darren and mitchaz will mend whatever fences are between them. Be well Dr G and all Cards fans.

14. By JTDG on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Scott H and others,

To Keim , this is aggressive . Signing a CB off the street, man that is really all we need, right?

Can’t agree with you more about the job Keim has done. Extension?

It just goes to show, no matter how much you or I want to watch a championship, it will never happen. Not in my lifetime.

This team has too many holes to fill by someone who, 1) can’t draft at all and 2) refuses to be aggressive in FA.. His only successes are trades. Frankly, he should trade away every pick for players. It’s our only chance. I mean, what are we going to do with more Cole Toner’s, Evan Boehm’s and Logan Thomas’ ?

There use to be 4 of us with season tickets since 1991. Through the years, the same ole cards , have widdled us down to two. As much as I wanted to tell the two that left, that they made a bad decision and should have stayed, I am seriously wondering if I am the one who made the mistake.

Giving Keim an extension is a wake up call that my home team really is never going to win it all unless there is some fluke. Keim will fix this mess??? How?

2013, the only player left is the overpaid undersized oft-injured Mathieu.

2014 – The only guy left is a undersized 210 lb ILB who was suppose to be a safety but had no cover skills. Maybe they bring back the tiny receiver with sickle cell.

2015 – You sign Veldheer to a massive contract to be LT and have Massie at RT, so what do you do in round 1? Draft a LT. What an intelligent move!! He then goes on to play 18 of 48 possible games and somehow is counted on as a bright spot.

He then, gets lucky , as well documented, as the guy he really wanted at RB is grabbed by the Lions. First question, if you loved Abdullah that much, why didn’t you trade up? But he dodged a bullet and landed an OLB who can sack the QB, but is weak against the run. It will be interesting to see how Golden fairs with the new coach. Then you land David Johnson in round 3.

Because of luck and his passive nature to sit tight in round two, he saved this draft with DJ.

2016 – What a whiff, Nkemdiche has showed less than nothing. Barely makes it to the field and was surpassed by Olsen, an UDFA. Brandon Williams, where do you start? What a mess they made out of that guy. Boehm, Toner, Christian? What a horrible draft.

So forgive me I am not excited about the extension. I have so little hope, it might be time to say goodbye myself. One more offseason,.

15. By patrick on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

I love how Fitz responded to this.

Fitzgerald is the first African-American amateur to win the team title portion of the tournament and, according to Cardinals media relations, just the seventh professional athlete to win and first since Dan Marino in 1988.

“It’s great, but I’m just hoping moving forward we don’t have to talk about color anymore,” he told reporters. “It’s just us as one as a people. Just to be here is an accomplishment. But that’s quite an accomplishment.”

16. By JohnnyBluenose on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Scott H…..I look forward to your comments and I’m glad that something I wrote may have given you a laugh. Larry laughed too.

17. By D on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Maybe Mr. B believes their QB target will come here. I guess we’ll know by Mid March.

I don’t see not making the playoffs in a few years, poor drafts and multiple
    holes in the starting lineup as qualifications for getting an extension, but hey, Mr. B is the owner, he writes checks.

18. By Jo Ball on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Waking up to the Keim extension news was like a slap in the face.
    If the team owner isn’t committed to winning, what chance does the team have? Keim has had his bright spots but there have been too many dark ones. I’ve said this before, when its all said and done, Keim is a below average to average GM at best. And that’s being very kind. Can’t find one logical reason as to why he should receive a FIVE year extension. I’ve been hoping that Bruce was maybe influencing the drafts, a coach’s input is taken into account. You draft the players your coaches want and need. So a part of me has a little bit of hope for this year’s draft. My expectation for it is nearly non-existent but I have a feeling that Keim will still manage to dissapoint.

19. By Steve on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

JTDG: l realize that Keim has not always been the best at drafting players bit under his leadership the team is 49-30 and he has won a couple of executive of the year honors. He needs to be more aggressive and improve his drafts, l agree but he is an improvement over the inept Rod Graves.

20. By NYCardinals212 on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Off-seasons are usually so boring, but thankfully we have this manufactured comments section soap opera to keep us all entertained.

Bravo!

21. By Scott H on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

I hope that mitchaz is just taking a break ( I mean, his hand has to be tired from those posts 🙂 ) and that he will join us again soon. His posts are something to look forward to. Until then, we’ll just save his spot for him.

Whatever the issue was between he and Darren….I found no fault on either side. Everyone has to see it their own way, they have a right to express it, and also the right to defend and stand by it if they feel strongly enough to do so.

I hope we will all be back to normal soon….as normal as we get around here, anyway!

22. By Scott H on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

clssy –

RE: Be thankful you don’t have to live in the Phoenix area….

Well, two things…..first, we are having one of the coldest winters I can remember out here where I am. so…..living in the Phoenix area sounds pretty damn good to me.

Second, does it matter where I live?? Hey, when you follow a team, and things aren’t going well, you are frustrated no matter where you are! I’d rather be among Cardinals fans than Eagles fans ANY DAY!

Where my being a Cardinals fan is concerned, I’m already frustrated, so I might as well be warm out there instead of freezing my ass off out here!

23. By Scott H on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Anyone noticed that every post speaking out against the Keim extension has a perfect 50-50 split of positive and negative ratings? I find that rather interesting.

But I don’t hear the pro-Keim people speaking up. Not yet, anyway.

24. By NJAzCardsFan on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

Darren- Do you see Gabbert and or Stanton being resigned…???

25. By Patrick on Feb 13, 2018 | Reply

If Fitz decides to retire and with zero qbs on the roster and no other decent wrs, the Cardinals should just invest in the online and run some old school offense like the T-formation they used to win their last championship in 1947. Or they could go power I, Maryland power I, flexbone, wishbone, single wing or Notre Dame box. ; )

26. By Jon on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

To say Keim getting a five year extension was a shock is probably a bit of an understatement. It continues this organization’s lack of belief in accountability and sits firmly with Amos Jones, Drew Butler, and others who seem to be rewarded for no logical reason.

Where are those one year prove-it deals when you need them? Surely this year for Keim would have been as good a time as any…

27. By RBledsoe on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

JTDG
    “Maybe they bring back the tiny receiver with sickle cell. ”

That is a insensitive and ignorant statement on many levels.

The receiver that you are speaking of has sickle cell trait and not sickle cell anemia. The sickle trait is manageable and with the help of the team’s medical staff he can once again be productive. Something as simple as having him take additional oxygen when he comes off the field and limiting snap when the team plays in Denver could alleviate fatigue and the leg problems. After all a receiver with the same sickle cell trait was just elected into the HOF.

I’m not even going to go into the diminutive part of your statement.

28. By El Gallo on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

@Scott H
    @mitchaz
    @JTDG

– Scott H, “Thumbs down”
    I don’t mind them haha..

It’s all part of the reason I come.
    The sharing of our ideas, thoughts, wants, hopes, concerns, love for this great game, team & favorite players.

Although yes, I hear you. At times I can’t figure out why some posts get more thumbs down, especially if they’re geared more so to facts-stats. Still it’s our opinion so I get it, ha.
    Must be the way we present it I guess.. All in good fun.

– mitchaz
    I hope you continue writing. Your posts have always been a pleasure to read. Your points explained thoroughly and creative. Always gave cause for thought but also fun to read.

– JTDG
    Hope you don’t give-in after one more offseason. The knowledge you have for the game, team and attention to detail would be missed on here. You never know what the future holds.

I’m sure you’ve heard recently of Phil Basser. 99yr old Philly native and life long Eagles fan. Older than the team, waited for over 85yrs before he was to witness his team deep in the playoffs. We know how the story ends, SB. Just saying hang in there.

I’ve been reading on the teams site for several years now.

At 22 I left college-work and joined the army, became an infantry paratrooper.
    To my surprise I wasn’t sent to an airborne unit off the jump.
    Spent my first year on tour in South Korea 🇰🇷 in a light infantry company.
    Coming on here and reading was just one way I stayed motivated out there. Kept watch of what was going on back home with the team–players–overall progress in more detail from the fans perspective.

By 2008 my second year, earned my way into a LRS unit, deployed to Iraq 🇮🇶.
    Many days I spent the lil free time I had writing back home to fam/friends but always managed to squeeze in the time left to read up quickly on the Cards and how they were performing..
    Couldn’t believe it! As soldiers, much like here in a way, we went into vast detail, and boasted about each other’s teams and accomplishments. To keep our minds positive and alert you’ll do anything, this was our 6-man group thing, football. Many colorful arguments were had trust me haha.. I was just very fortunate and proud that year that my team made it to the Big Show. And nearly had it won..

Afghanistan 🇦🇫 in 2011, same unit, wasn’t Cards best year but it had its moments haha.. Proved a lil harder to defend the team but we had Larry and that’s all I needed.

I truly enjoyed reading on here in far away lands. It always brought me back to home in Phoenix.
    Happy I can now join the discussions since being retired early, injury.

So you see JTDG & mitchaz, you never know what can happen or who’s reading. Encourage you all to continue the good fight.
    Look forward to more.

29. By D on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

A decision today on AJ McCarron, backup QB in Cincy could impact the Cards.

Let’s face reality, of the following teams that will be looking for a QB in 2018; Denver, Jets, Browns, Cards, -Denver is the biggest competition against AZ.
    (I’ll leave Giants out for now as it appears they will ride Eli a few more years
    and may not go after a top 5 QB yet)

Word has it, Denver would go after AJ if he is deemed a UFA. That would take Denver out of the Cousins sweepstakes. Cards don’t have as much Cap Space as the other teams yet, but we may see multiple personnel moves by Keim in March if he feels like they have a shot for Cousins.

30. By John S. on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

Can’t hurt bringing in Lou Young at this point. He will have to compete against those we already have that didn’t play much, or possibly a new pick-up in the draft/FA, and can be let go just as easily later if not measuring up to snuff. All one has to do is look at the history in that “transactions” tab up top to see that.
    Who knows, maybe he will surprise some…?

31. By JTDG on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

Well now Keim has a new contract, here is my revised off season;

Since I have no faith in Keim drafting and he has scored well with his trades, here is how the 2018 draft should go;

1st round – trade for Nick Foles – Oh I know he isn’t worth a first rounder but would you rather have Cooper or Nkemdiche with this pick? Foles also won’t cost a ton as his cap is around 4 million

2nd round – Trade with Vikings for Anthony Barr. Vikes are in cap problems and need to resign a QB, Barr would give them cap relief. The cards get a very good player Wilks can use in multiple ways. By giving him a contract extension, you can lower his cap hit.

3rd round – Trade with the Dolphins for Ndamukong Suh, The dolphins could use help getting out of that huge contract, and a trade is the only way. The Dolphins get cap relief and the cards get a dominate Dlineman at 16 million cap hit.

other 3rd round – Trade with Seattle for Richard Sherman. He will be released most likely, but this gets him on your team without a bidding war. It frees up 11 million for the hawks and the cards could extend his contract and get some cap relief.

4th round – Eric Ebron TE from Detroit. Lions looking to move him , and the cards need a TE since Gresham is injured and Niklas is a FA.

5th, and two 7th rounders – Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin, Eric Decker . you need help at receiver.

Then you keep Veldheer, Iupati, sign Norwell for RG and Jensen at Center to go with Humphries and you may have something. You would need to extend Barr, Sherman and release Suh in 2019, push Jenson and Norwell money into 2019, but it could work.

Better than hearing, with the cards pick, they choose a guy who won’t play the spot he did in college and is immature, and doesn’t play hard on every play, but we can fix him.

32. By Dr. G. on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

Patrick…very creative…not using a passing QB!!

I was just thinking the other day that we could just draft a couple big ass full backs; and running the Wildcat every play with a good O-line would win half our games.

Caveat – Not really, but just as ludicrous as the situation that has developed…gotta feeling we’ll get fleeced in FA and/or the draft…standing by…hoping for the best…

33. By JTDG on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

RBledsoe,

John Brown has been absent the last two years. He has none of the explosiveness he had. Again, maybe he gets a league min 1 year deal, but he can’t be counted on.

Frankly, he had one good year when he had Fitz and Floyd drawing the coverges. Nothing against him, he just isn’t much of a player .

Did I say he has Sickle Cell Anemia? He does have a issue with sickle cell. Whether it is sickle cell trait or not, it’s an issue with sickle cell right? So it’s a true comment.

Stop being so sensitive.

34. By JTDG on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

El Gallo,

Let me say thank you for all you sacrifice to serve this country. My dad spent 50 years in the service, and when I was born, he left for 9 months. My mom was left to raise 5 boys on very little money. People never know just how much you give , so thank you.

Just losing hope with a team that has Keim in charge. Poor drafts and bad decision makes it tough to spend money and go to games every year. When Larry finally leaves, we won’t have much to cheer, will we?

But truth is, I sat through the heat at Sun Devil Stadium, moved to Texas and kept my tickets and fell back for games, and been there at most of all the games, so I don’t know if I could ever truly leave all together.

But I stopped watching baseball and it was pretty easy. I played and coached and loved the game and will stop and watch Little League and HS games every chance I get. But when the Steroids era hit, it bothered me , but when teams began to hire these known users as coaches, that was the end. Still can’t believe the DBacks hired Matt Williams to coach when he juiced. Is he showing the kids coming up how to use? Horrible.

Almost did the same with football this year with the stupid kneeling stuff. My brother didn’t watch a game all year and says he is done. Says he doesn’t miss it and has much better Sundays (he lives in Dallas and is a cowboy fan – just as frustrating the last 15-20 years)

I’m thinking, after 26 years of season tickets and running on to the field when the cards made the playoffs in 1998, and being in the stands when the cards knocked off the Eagles to go to the Super Bowl , there were times when it was great, but more than not, it was sitting there watching a team go 5-11 every year. With 26 years with only 6 winning seasons, I’m not sure I am ready to go through another 4-5 seasons of 5-11.

But, I probably will.

35. By JTDG on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

Steve,

Keim vs Graves;

They are the same guy. Keim was Graves right hand man.

They both got lucky with aging QBs, Graves got to the superbowl and Keim fell short.

But neither drafted QBs that can play. Neither knew how to draft olineman. Look at the Graves and Keim drafts.

Graves – 2011 draft, only player to be any good was Pat P. ,
    Keim 2013 – the only guy left is Mathieu.

The difference is Keim got his QB at the beginning of his reign. Now get ready for those years without Palmer.

36. By Dan Nicholson on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

JTDG- Scott H.
    Re:
    Kim
    I support Keim for the work he has done. Last 2 years team has been ravaged by injuries and replacements were found to compete.
    Like I said before, no GM hits all picks, but in one draft lucky or not he hit on top 3 picks of Humphries, Golden and Johnson, plus Nelson has impacted also, just not enough yet. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good, but give him more cap and see what happens

37. By Dan Nicholson on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

Sorry , I meant Keim, not Kim. Haha

38. By JTDG on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

Dan,

Humphries has played in 18 of a possible 48 games. Are we declaring him as a hit? Only 5 games at LT. Might want to pump the brakes a little bit there.

But lets say he hit on 2015. What happened 2013, 2014, 2016 ?

39. By Steve on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

JTDG: Bad draft picks or not, the man is 49-30 over the past 5 seasons, that’s a better record than any previous GM of late. Let’s see what he does in the next 4-5 seasons before calling for his walking papers.

40. By Steve on Feb 14, 2018 | Reply

49-30 record is better than any previous Cards GM of late l meant.

41. By Dan Nicholson on Feb 15, 2018 | Reply

JTDG
    Re : Draft hits.
    Humphries small sample size has been pretty good , he kills people in the run game. As for previous drafts, Bethel 2 or 3 pro bowls on S.T., not good as a evening, Ellington was fantastic until injuries slowed him, and both were 6th rd. Floyd was strong until his drinking problem, Gunter was better years 1&2, John Brown before injuries was solid, Niklas injuries till past year but showed he is capable Buccannon, Mathiue, good picks.Nkemdiche needs to show this year and yes Keim did have some misses.My point is those guys produced pretty good before injuries but not so good after.

42. By JTDG on Feb 15, 2018 | Reply

Dan,

Floyd and Bethel were Graves picks. But hey , you are clearly a glass full kind of guy. I’m guessing you haven’t sat through enough 5-11 seasons yet.

Steve,
    Yep, decent record over 5 years. I guess some will see that and be satisfied. I look at the possibilities.

Example, how do you come out of that 2015 championship game and not address the obvious needs. Bethel at CB ? You were so close, get a legit CB2 in 2016. The guy I suggested was Casey Hayward , who signed a 3 year 15 million dollar deal and promtly made the probowl the last two years. That makes a difference.

Or how do you not address the line after 2015? You let Massie walk and hope Humphries could play RT. You choose Shippley and Boehm as center and guard? I mean, come on. Alex Mack was available and it cost 4 million in cap room for 2016. Josh Sitton was available at 7 million to play RG.

Then in 2016, knowing Floyd’s issues, you do nothing at receiver? Did that matter in 2016?

Regardless of the record, these are huge glaring needs that weren’t addressed. The difference between those teams playing for the superbowl and those who aren’t is little things like these.

Instead, he pays huge money to a safety who was on crutches , healing from a second surgery, while having another year on his original contract.

There is so many examples of poor decisions, bad drafts, quick fixes. The obvious Palmer trade (go back to early 2013, I was asking for a trade with Raiders for Palmer and Veldheer,) was the difference to the winning record. Yes, he did it, and I have given him credit many time for it. But it wasn’t an amazing creative trade.

43. By Scott H on Feb 15, 2018 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: There have been so many poor decisions, bad drafts, quick fixes.

Dude, you summed up an awful lot in that one short sentence.

Look, how ’bout we ALL look at it this way – what are we all saying / thinking about Keim if Palmer isn’t sitting right there, just waiting for a new home after the 2012 season? What is the overall record during his regime if Palmer doesn’t come along?

It’s not 49-30, I can assure you.

We take Carson Palmer falling into our hands out of this equation and, well…..finish that thought any way you wish, folks.

Like JTDG, I give Keim the credit he deserves for bringing Palmer here. But I also agree with JTDG in that it wasn’t an amazing, creative trade. And I agree with JTDG further in his assessment of all of the failures during the 2016 & 2017 off-seasons that just did nothing but take us back from the heights we reached in 2015. In other words, he brought a QB here that COULD have taken us there. Then, he failed to make the moves that might have closed the deal.

I think that is a very fair bottom line to the whole thing.

44. By Coach K on Feb 15, 2018 | Reply

Why isn’t anyone talking about Tyrod Taylor?

His stats are excellent the past three years.

45. By Dan Nicholson on Feb 16, 2018 | Reply

JTDG, You have a pretty good argument their. I don’t remember them having the cap space for Mack , that’s who I also liked, but Boehm can play center, just needs the chance. After Mathieu got the contract he was up for DPOY till injury @ Philadelphia so we can call it it what we want too. I was pretty sure Floyd & Bethel were 2013 draft picks? Maybe their are reasons for Keim not pursuing certain players, whether it’s a system fit, chemistry, or, maybe those guys did not want to be a Cardinal. Regardless, those draft picks contributed to many more wins than losses. The Logan Thomas pick, I still scratch my head on that one.

46. By Dan Nicholson on Feb 16, 2018 | Reply

As for Floyd’s issues, he was either hiding his problem or the cards knew and were working under the radar to straighten him out, but are we privy to that information?

47. By JTDG on Feb 16, 2018 | Reply

Dan,

Floyd was the 13th pick in round one of 2012 draft. Justin Bethel was pick 177 of the same draft.

As for Mathieu, he was given the contract after his big year, not before. And yes, he had a great year in 2015. No argument. But he blew out his knee, was on crutches and his contract was good through 2016.

He was paid 4.5 million higher than the highest paid safety per year at the time (contract average), and he couldn’t walk. I get it if he was going to be a FA, but he wasn’t . He still had another year under his rookie deal. It just was plain stupid to give out that huge contract, when you had no idea if he could come back fully from the injury. (which 2 years later and he still hasn’t)

As for cap, the cards had cap money entering the 2016 year. If you go back, two things stood out. I asked for Floyd to be traded. I thought there was no way they should resign him to big money and should dump him for a draft pick. That would have freed up 6 million. I also thought the cards had to address the Calais Campbell issue. Campbell was counting as 16 million on the cap, and I said he needed to be extended or traded.

Point is, there was cap room to sign guys and you could create even more cap room. Guys like Casey Hayward, Josh Sitton and Alex Mack all could have fit easily under the cap. Together, their 2016 cap hit would have been 16 million only.

48. By JTDG on Feb 16, 2018 | Reply

Coach K,

Taylor;

Ask yourself why he was benched this year in favor for a late round rookie? Especially when it was evident the rookie was no where ready.

2. Feb 13, 2018: Tuesday morning one-liners | High Velocity Sport