Tyrann Mathieu’s game-winner on the hardwood

Posted by Darren Urban on February 26, 2018 – 10:31 am

Basketball is a popular topic in NFL locker rooms — in part because many of these athletes believe they could have had a second professional calling in hoops. Some are clearly dreaming. Others can play a bit. (Kurt Warner, who still holds pickup games at his house, was once invited to play at the White House by then-President Obama.)

This weekend, Tyrann Mathieu — who often plays pickup and sometimes invites the public to come play in games at the local gym he frequents — had video proof he can play a little (as he has mentioned once or a few times.) Taking part in a charity game, Mathieu makes a couple of impressive crossover moves before drilling the game-winning three-pointer. If nothing else, it’s always good to see Mathieu moving around well on knees that have had their share of rough moments, ACL-wise.

More importantly, to have video evidence of his basketball prowess will no doubt be used as leverage in the locker room whenever the debate about who the top baller on the Cardinals might be.

Tags: ,

26 Responses to “Tyrann Mathieu’s game-winner on the hardwood”

1. By Steve on Feb 26, 2018 | Reply

Darren: Have you had a chance to go to Warner’s house to shoot a little hoops?

2. By Darren Urban on Feb 26, 2018 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Warner hoops

I have not.

3. By Dan Nicholson on Feb 26, 2018 | Reply

As he does often, Badger makes a play when it counts.

4. By Richard S on Feb 26, 2018 | Reply

Reminds me of the time I ran the shot clock at a Basketball game in my high school between two old men’s teams. Normally when you go in the game you go over to the guy running the shot clock and say who you are and who you’re going in for. Kenny Boyer who owned Kenny Boyer Ford in Hermann, Mo. at the time was playing for the Hermann rebels and he was about to go in the game. I thought to myself “He’s going to talk to me.” He didn’t. I think he assumed I knew who he was and he just went into the game without approaching the shot clock.

5. By JTDG on Feb 26, 2018 | Reply

Yeah, a guy with a 14 million dollar a year contract and two major knee surgeries is playing basketball.

That can’t go bad , can it?

6. By Fmr USAF Pilot on Feb 26, 2018 | Reply

Add: reasons to sign A.J. McCarron (a Free Agent);

The Eagles will NOT trade Foles.
    Bradford has a history of injuries (see Kolb) and will cost too much in $ and picks.
    Taylor (Bills’ QB) is unskilled and erratic {see Lindley (Sp)}
    Cousins would cost too much (see Bradford).
    The Vikings won’t trade Bridgewater or Keenum and Keim won’t give up draft picks and/or players to get them. If he does, it’ll be another example of his failure as a GM.

McCarron is a proven winner @ Alabama and WILL be better than Stanton, Gabbert and Barkley as he gains experience in 2018..

He will also be much less expensive that the other FAs.

Give him some time this coming season and he will carry the Cards to the playoffs, if not in 2018, then 2019 and beyond.

7. By cardsfann1 on Feb 27, 2018 | Reply

I really wish he wouldn’t play basketball anymore… Our luck he gets injured and misses more time… He is a hell of an athlete tho…

8. By D on Feb 27, 2018 | Reply

The Cards QB search in the next 4 weeks will most likely come down to what MN does. If MN goes all in on K. Cousins, that would open up some multiple options for AZ. I wonder of the Health of Mr. Bridgewater.

9. By Larso on Feb 27, 2018 | Reply

I like Mathieu, he willl bring the fun back 2018! I think the D will be stronger than ever with corners stepping up or draft/fa cb 2

It will never happen, but i wish for Lamar Jackson plus a big fast Target with swag.

10. By Dr. G. on Feb 27, 2018 | Reply

If you mother hover your kids to limit their physical activity when they are young, it is more likely they will be injured more easily because agility and coordination will not develop nearly as well…and injuries can creep in more often when they do play…protecting going wrong!

…now Mathieu is not a little kid developing agility…how many of us have come down after a rebound and landed on another player’s foot…rolled an ankle in pain? How can we dispute JTDG’s concern? …better ways for TM to exercise!

Incidentally, Tyrann has been in trade//cut news if his agent refuses a lighter deal….hmmm? Be well Cards Fans

11. By Dr. G. on Feb 27, 2018 | Reply

Oh, I forgot…very little interest here for social items outside football. Some need to keep the thumbs ((or lengthy speech to type)) busy I guess… Football has lots of things going if we dig for stories…like upcoming Combine and prospects…later

12. By Ben on Feb 27, 2018 | Reply

so when does this next flight plan come out? been checking every day.

13. By Darren Urban on Feb 27, 2018 | Reply

Ben —

RE: Flight plan

Every two weeks.

14. By El Gallo on Feb 27, 2018 | Reply

– QBs

Possible trade option.
    Not saying the Cards would do this but I could see a team going for this guy regarding his situation.

Ryan Tannehill 6’4″ 216lbs, Texas A&M, 6yr pro
    Main reasons Miami agrees to trade
    • coming off ACL surgery
    • soon to be 30
    • $20.3M + cap hit
    • use their #11 pick on new QB

He’s been a solid QB
    • 2012 8th overall pick
    • career passer rating of 86.5
    • TD–INT: 106–66
    • had team in playoff contention

I understand the injury aspect, but maybe he pulls an Adrian Peterson.
    Palmer played just fine the season after his ACL.
    His price range would be less than what Cousins & Bradford could be asking for.
    Most importantly, he has the skill-set and experience.

Again, I’m not advocating for him.
    Just throwing a different name out there to consider..

15. By El Gallo on Feb 27, 2018 | Reply

– HB

Glad to see him moving around confidently.
    Just don’t get hurt..

As for his contract issue, I hope he agrees to restructure.
    Would make sense, his production was down.

He lasted the whole year, give him that.
    Had one of the highest snap counts among defensive players.
    But beyond the leadership & emotional role, his impact on the field pertaining to “stats” wasn’t there as in years past.

They took a chance on you, make it team friendly.
    Or they could back load it for next year if possible when team has more cap space.

16. By Scott H on Feb 27, 2018 | Reply

USAF Pilot –

Looks like Bridgewater is going to be a free agent. Don’t know if that changes your thinking at all…..but I’m guessing that means the Vikings will be locking up either Bradford or Keenum, or both. Not a bad idea ( both ) seeing as Bradford can’t make it through a season.

But Bridgewater scares me for the same reason. He basically hasn’t played in two years. Where is he physically? Can he stay healthy? And is he even good enough when he is healthy?

Of this Vikings trio, Keenum is the only one I’d have any interest in. Bradford has talent, no doubt. I just don’t think he can stay healthy long enough for it to be realized.

17. By Scott H on Feb 28, 2018 | Reply

Am seeing where Glennon is going to be released. Guess all the Glennon people will be psyched about that. I’ve been surprised by the number of people who seem high on him. It was interesting how things went for him last season in Chicago. Some may see him as having gotten a raw deal, being brought in by a team that then drafted a QG high in the draft. I mean….I can’t blame the Bears for playing it that way because Glennon is no sure thing. But that rookie doesn’t see the field as quickly as he does if Glennon is playing well. Which he didn’t.

Anyway….I’m expecting a surge from the Glennon people. He’s out there!

The Cardinals need to draft a QB regardless of what they do ( shy of landing Nick Foles ).

18. By Scott H on Feb 28, 2018 | Reply

Correcting the major typo in my last post….

And right after the Bears drafted a QG, they drafted a QB.

But you can never have enough depth at QG,

Darren, do you ever correct obvious typos like that?? Or is it better to leave them in for entertainment value? 🙂

19. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2018 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Typos

I try to correct some, but sometimes I’m just scanning the comments for foul language and quickly approving.

20. By Johnson on Mar 1, 2018 | Reply

I have been hearing news on and on twitter that Mathieu might be released and will become a FA. Players from Saints and Eagles and even Steelers are openly trying to recruit him.

Gregg Rosenthal stated that Keim is in an evaluation process with Badger’s contract and looks very “NONCOMMITTAL” picking up his option. Badger’s cryptic tweet “It’s a business” is the most horrific statement I have read since Kurt Warner announced his retirement. I cant believe we are even discussing this or even thinking about Badger not being on the roster next season.

Darren, any news on your end regarding this? I hope this is just a rumor.

21. By Darren Urban on Mar 1, 2018 | Reply

Scott H, Johnson —

RE: Mathieu

Mathieu is due a $5 million bonus on March 14 and another $13.75 million of salary in 2018-19 becomes guaranteed. That is the pressure point in the contract that has caused this decision and led to the comments (and tweets) yesterday.

22. By Johnson on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

Darren – Those are definitely big numbers in Salary and I feel frankly he deserves every penny! Keim needs to be find a way to keep him interested with the Cardinals, he is such an important cog in the AZ Secondary with 21 reasons – Yes he hasnt been fully fit since he got hurt in Philly (2015) – but he had great numbers last year. So many players in free agency, this just seems to be getting depressing day by day, and we are still looking for a QB.

At least next season I get to watch 2 games here in Los Angeles – 2 more games of watching Larry doing Larry things (both Rams and Chargers) .. I hope to see the Badger too!

2. Feb 26, 2018: Tyrann Mathieu knocks down buzzer-beating 3 |
  3. Feb 27, 2018: Tyrann Mathieu knocked down a buzzer-beating 3 to win a charity game | GridironBuzz – Fantasy Football
  4. Feb 27, 2018: Tuesday morning one-liners | Sportsrook