QBs make a good impression at the podium

Posted by Darren Urban on March 2, 2018 – 3:25 pm

There are almost always “important” media interview sessions here at the Scouting combine. Most of the time it has to do with players with potential red flags. Any position can be represented — think Vontaze Burfict, Manti Te’o or even Tyrann Mathieu — but many times, it has to do with the quarterback. That’s the position that leads most often, and the one the gets the most scrutiny. Ryan Mallett was grilled in Indy, as was Cam Newton. Johnny Manziel too.

I remember back in 2006, not knowing much about a Vanderbilt quarterback who was gaining steam as a prospect, and after his session, thinking if I was the Cardinals I’d be wary. Jay Cutler could play, but he definitely gave off a lousy vibe.

Friday, the quarterbacks all talked. All the top guys have some kind of scrutiny. But after getting a chance to hear all of them, all left good impressions, albeit in different ways. Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson definitely showed the most personality, with Mayfield coming strong with his confidence he will be the best QB and emphasizing he will be honest with whatever missteps he might have made. “I want teams to know what they are getting,” he said.

Jackson could only chuckle at the idea he might be asked to move to receiver. “Man, I thought I did pretty good at quarterback,” he said with a smile. (He did.) He said no teams have talked to him about a position switch but it doesn’t matter, because he isn’t going anywhere. The other top guys — Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen — were solid themselves. Nothing flashy, but they didn’t come across poorly.

Of course, it’s the interview process with the teams behind closed doors that will ultimately mean more. But teams do pay attention to how these players handle their business in front of the cameras. That box has been checked.

Tags: , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “QBs make a good impression at the podium”

1. By Scott H on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

I’ve never liked Cutler for his personality. He has none. No fire, no intensity. Not a leader. Looks like he is dozing off half the time. I’m assuming he is going back into retirement, which is probably a good thing.

I guess Manziel has personality….but it was never a personality that I liked. He is not an NFL QB. He might end up on a roster somewhere this year, but….he doesn’t have it.

Kinda surprised the Kaepernick people haven’t been more vocal since the season ended. But I’m kinda glad they haven’t been.

2. By JTDG on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

Silly to think Lamar Jackson should switch.

There have been some I voiced strongly about that should switch (Logan Thomas and the QB from Texas A&M we signed last year or year before) both those guys had no chance at QB.

But Jackson has ability. He has that “it” factor for the right offense. He wouldn’t work in a traditional drop back offense like BA ran.

But I see a lot of Randall Cunningham and Mike Vick in him. They both were successful in the NFL, albeit they did have their ups and downs.

But Jackson is a QB. He also may be the fastest guy on the field at times too.

3. By Ken Moroney on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

Mayfield or Jackson would be my favorite 2 QBs but buy a current 2nd string QB

4. By Scott H on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

Ya know….I commented pretty recently about the 49ers locking up their center and paired that with the Jimmy G trade as examples of a team that seems to be putting the right pieces in place. And I got raked over the coals, accused of whining about a team that was doing nothing more than signing their own players. And that I had no patience.

And since then, I’ve seen trades being made all over the place. So I guess teams are doing more than just signing their own players, aren’t they? Yeah, it kinda looks like they are.

Again, that fits MY definition of aggressiveness. Our FO is talking about it. Other teams are doing it.

Other teams aren’t waiting for FA to start addressing their needs. And given how many needs this team has….it sure seems like maybe they could be out there right now, too, getting some ( or even just ONE ) of their needs met. But we just keep talking about Plans A, B, & C.

There is no reason why the “aggressiveness” has to wait until a certain date on the calender. Other teams aren’t waiting.

Oh, but it’s me, right? No patience?

5. By dynosoar on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

I read the quotes from Steve Keim about O-Lineman being difficult to get ready for NFL play, some having to do with their use in a college spread offense.

Perhaps spend an entire draft on just the O-Line. Or pick up five extra picks and draft seven O-Lineman and other best players.

Then follow BA’s approach and have a coach solely responsible for getting that drafted O-Line in playing condition and prepared to all be starters Season 1 or maybe season two.

Get a young O-Line with a coach dedicated to them and them alone and train them up. We’ll have the best O-Line for years to come, like the Hogs of my younger days.

Then the QB will have time to find receivers and Running Backs will have holes to run through and they will all know each other and have that chemistry and support for each other we’ve heard of over the years.

Perhaps the best O-Line coach would be a fierce and unstoppable Linebacker or D-Lineman who could say, here’s how to stop me… If you can.

6. By JTDG on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

The problem with that article is it isn’t true. I never read anything with so much bleep.

2017, Garrett Bowles, Ryan Ramczek, Cam Robinson, Ethan Pocic, Pat Elflien, Dion Dawkins, Dan Feeney, all started and played well as rookie for their teams

2016, Ronny Stanley, Jack Conklin, Taylor Decker, Ryan Kelly, Joshua Garnett, Germain Ifedi, Cody Whitehair, Joe Thuney, Graham Glasgow, Joe Haig, all started and played well as rookies.

I could keep going on. It seems only the guys Keim picks can’t start as rookies.

I can tell you right now there are several who will start in this years rookie class.
    Quenton Nelson is better than most NFL guards right now. I believe there are at least 12 guys I see as starters as rookies in this draft and all 12 are better than the group the cards ran out there each week.

7. By Jon on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

Its hard to argue with that Scott. We obviously don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes of course, but it does appear that while our front office is busy talking other teams are busy doing.

It is hard to be excited about this offseason so far. Its still early, we’ll see what happens…

8. By Coach K on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

I like at least 7 QB’s in this draft, so I will be happy if they move, up, or stay where they are. Granted, the top four have special skills, but I feel at least 7 have similar abilities. Darnold is clearly the most accurate along with Falk. But I like Jackson and Mayfield better than Rosen. Rosen’s personality reminds me of Cutler.

I sure like that guard Hernandez and I’m looking forward to seeing Receiver Tre Quan Smith perform at the combine. Would love to see both of them in Cardinal Red.

9. By jeffcardinalfan on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

after surfing the web im forced to change my opinion about nick foles…rumors abound BUT it appears that a 2nd round pick would get foles. imho if foles could be got for just a 2nd rounder then its a NO-BRAINER. then, rebuild ol thru free agency and draft and add another receiver and corner.

10. By MartinK on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

Scott H: It is you! You have no patience.

11. By drummer-1 on Mar 2, 2018 | Reply

He just jumped off the cliff why didn’t we do that.. I love it..

12. By faster on Mar 3, 2018 | Reply

foles would get 7 mio, that would allow us to go for norwell, with 12 mio, and together they would cost less then carson palmer last year (and palmer deserved every cent of it, especially behind this offensive line). and next year there is a lot more cap space.

but there is a strong argument for the vikings, defilipo, so it will be interesting to follow.

nevertheless, can you imagine foles and fitz together? maybe with a refurbished offensive line, like humphries, norwell, boehm, iupati and hubbart.
    and ragnow, veldherr and holden as backups?
    david and kerwynn as rbs, and ballager as backup and retourner?

13. By dynosoar on Mar 3, 2018 | Reply

I did say if we put together an O-Line with a coach dedicated just to those 5-7 players they could be ready Season 1 (which means this fall), or Maybe season 2.

Scott H.

I agree with aggressive, I also keep hearing dates when certain things can begin (like contract negotiations with FAs) and then I hear of trade deals and FAs committing to certain teams and I wonder,

Are those teams being more aggressive than our front office, are they beating us out with better contracts OR are those teams breaking the rules and doing things before they are allowed and we are following the rules?

These questions abound in my mind. If the other teams are breaking the rules, why is the NFL not taking away draft picks for the violations (or different penalties for such) OR are they Not breaking the rules and are just, more of that word no one appears to like, but that is said in almost every teams pressers 🙂

14. By dynosoar on Mar 3, 2018 | Reply

Everyone says patience for the upcomming year (Even my college team, the Volunteers are preaching patience), that it takes time to build a winning team.

No and a hundred times NO! I don’t believe it. Oh, I see it, but I don’t believe it.

My example I’ll use, the 2016 Rams becoming the 2017 Rams. One Season difference. One Season.

I can say this, we’ve all seen teams that in one off-season turned things around and make a deep push into the playoffs or the championships.

2016 Eagles: 7-9
    2017 Eagles: 13-3, Super Bowl Champs

2016 Rams: 4-12
    2017 Rams: 11-5, 3rd seed NFC, Wildcard round

2016 Jaguars: 3-13
    2017 Jaguars: 10-6, 3rd seed AFC, AFC Championship game

2016 Vikings: 8-8
    2017 Vikings: 13-3, 2nd seed NFC, NFC Championship game

I could go on in any sport. We don’t need to wait a year or more to have a Super Bowl winning team. It can happen this year. (and the Eagles and Vikings used HOW MANY QBs in their season?)

15. By dynosoar on Mar 3, 2018 | Reply

I want our team to hoist the Lombardi THIS SEASON and Yes! It can happen.
    Why Wait? Let’s win NOW!

INSTEAD of debating will Fitz keep playing another season or not?
    We can debate – Will Fitz play for a second SB Ring or be content with just one?

WHY WAIT? Let’s hoist the Lombardi Now. 2018 Can Be The Cardinals Year!

Rivers, Dalton, Foles, Brees (unlikely), Keenum, Stanton (also seems unlikely) or Wentz. (No Bradford, Cousins, Osweiler)

Then draft a QB and an O-Line with a WR to compliment. We have the players already, just need a QB WITH and O-line to give that QB time to throw and holes for the RB to exploit.

16. By Scott H on Mar 3, 2018 | Reply

Martin –

RE: It is you, you have no patience

Dude, I’ve been a fan since 1975. Have never seen a Super Bowl, but here I am. Still here. Still living and dying with this team.

If you haven’t been around that long, you have no business telling me about patience.

If you HAVE been around that long, then you should understand. And you have no business telling me about patience.

17. By Scott H on Mar 3, 2018 | Reply

Jon –

RE: It’s hard to argue with Scott H….

Actually, it’s pretty easy! People do it all the time!

18. By JTDG on Mar 3, 2018 | Reply

Just to be clear, my comments were more towards that article and less about what you said. What Keim said was a joke to me.

But, Yes, I could see the cards benefiting from going all oline in the draft. It would be interesting although, this is the year of the QB.

But this is an excellent year to fix an oline too.

19. By JTDG on Mar 3, 2018 | Reply

The rams and eagles made jumps because their rookie QBs started their 2nd year.

The Jags went out and spent a ton to get FAs (what aggressive looks like) including Campbell, Bouye, Malik Jackson, a pair of safeties, ect.

The Vikings built a defense that could hold up and got a magical year out of a guy who has been a career back up. Not sure I buy into the Vikes for 2018.

So, why does the cards make that jump…… Do we land that QB, get an impact player, repair the oline????

To be continued.

20. By Dr. G. on Mar 3, 2018 | Reply

Lamar Jackson? …no rave reviews from the pundits at the combine. ((a good athletic project))

Conversely, Josh Allen is wowing the GMs with things like an effortless accurate 70 yard throw. Passionate “”prove it mentality.””

Darnold won’t throw untill his pro day ((got bad advice)). Good physically.

Josh Rosen proclaims atheism. ((Relevance?)) ((Jew//Quaker//Catholic…no wonder he may have confusing thoughts)) For Football, he has all the stats!

Baker Mayfield? ((Is size an issue? Fiery competitive presence w/minor issues))

Mason Rudolph? Other than hand size, a beef cake at 6’5″ 235. Good accuracy and better prepared for NFL RPO system…missed only 1 start in 3 years.

Hand size? Kirk Cousins ~ 9 7/8″ …average for QBs. An issue for some draftees? Passion and smarts are way more important.

With a top 5 pick, whos your guy? Anyone else?

G’day Cards Fans…

21. By jeffcardinalfan on Mar 4, 2018 | Reply

espn reports CARDS WILL BID ON COUSINS

22. By clssylssy on Mar 4, 2018 | Reply

While I agree with much you say, let’s get real. As much as we would all love to see Larry play forever, we were lucky that he came back this year, and at some point we’re going to have to address finding his replacement. Besides building a stout 0-line, we have no offense with DJ returning from injury. And, it appears the FO is willing to start cannilbalizing our defense to get that long sought after QB. How do you propose we put TDs up? There will be no SB ever without offensive weapons! Fitz is here to teach his replacement and provide some veteran leadership. We need a little more than a QB and an 0-line, and while we all want to hoist a Lombardi, we are going to need a more balanced team that is solid and not built upon the walking wounded from the discount rack!
    Perhaps if we can set our sights on winning our Division as a first step, the team would develop some confidence and momentum and we could go from there. Right now, we have “miles to go before we sleep”!

23. By Scott H on Mar 4, 2018 | Reply

Nice to see others getting it in regard to the patience / aggressive issue.

Don’t ever tell a long time – and long-suffering – Cardinals fan that they have no patience. Are you KIDDING ME?? We know more about patience than any other pro sports fan base on the planet. Believe that.

24. By JTDG on Mar 4, 2018 | Reply

Scott H,

I agree with you about the patience. After season tickets since 1991, I am waiting till the last day to renew.

I have lost patience and if they can’t make good decisions that can move us towards a superbowl this off season, I am out.

I think Keim is a terrible GM, and I don’t have much faith in him fixing things, but I am waiting to see. It might be nice to have other things to do on sundays besides sitting in traffic going to the game.

25. By Big Ken on Mar 4, 2018 | Reply

I think Mason Rudolph is over-rated. The Cardinals interviewed him at the Combine, hope it’s just smoke and mirrors.

26. By Scott H on Mar 4, 2018 | Reply

JTDG –

I hear ya, brother. I don’t know that I could ever be out. But I will say there is just….something different about how it all feels right now. I swear, I honestly believe I’ve been affected by being out there in the Philly area – where they’ve been waiting and suffering as long as we have been – and seeing how they feel / look / sound now that they have finally reached that promised land and touched that Lombardi trophy. Maybe other people would get what I’m saying if that celebration were going on ALL AROUND them every day.

Seriously, you can’t NOT be affected by that.

Meanwhile, we don’t even know who are QB is.

Yeah, I’m waiting to see, too. Not mush else we can do. But I hear ya. Don’t know that I could ever walk away, but I hear ya.

After making the investment you have, financially and otherwise, in this team for the last 25-plus years, imagine someone telling you you have no patience. That would be the absolute height of ignorance. And that 25-plus years is just the length of time you’ve been a season ticket holder…..I’m guessing your years of just being a fan go back further than that.

27. By JTDG on Mar 4, 2018 | Reply

Scott H,

I grew up in southern California and was a rams fan.
    When I moved to AZ, I started going to games the first year but that was just to see football. I wasn’t a cards fan at all.

Those first 3 years, Me, my brother, and two friends would wait for kickoff, and then buy scalped tickets for 5 bucks. Yes, 5 bucks. Back then, at Sun Devil Stadium, there was 22-25,000 fans so you could sit anywhere. Truthfully, there was a couple times I would lay down and get sun, as the seats are just cement with numbers painted on them.

Somewhere along the line, I started to be a cards fan. There were some brutal games to watch, some because it was brutally hot, others were bad to watch because of poor play.

I remember a game between Tampa and the cards. It was the last game of the year I believe. Neither team was good and neither team wanted to be there. The field had sand in areas that were torn up. The game ended up being 6-3 and there were several missed FGs because the kickers couldn’t get good plant feet in the bad turf/sand.

There was a game with the rams where I thought players were going to die it was so hot. I remember beating the Giants as the players were getting IVs and taking knees on the sideline because of the heat.

I was actually filmed in the Tom Cruise “show me the money” movie, but was cut out. Cuba Gooding (a body double) comes out of the tunnel and the fans were all cheering for him. I was front row and gave a high five but in the movie, they show him at the tunnel and then cut to the field. My fame ended on the cutting room floor.

Back then, we knew we were bad. Our line in the stands to other fans if we won was, “hey, we are bad, but we beat your team”.

Today, they are selling us that we have a contender. Well, if that is what you are saying, then you have to do it. The poor drafts and such bad decisions, it is unacceptable. I would rather be bad than be a pretender.

28. By Scott H on Mar 5, 2018 | Reply

JTDG –

That was some pretty cool behind-the-scenes info of how JTDG became a Cardinals fan! Nice. I love hearing the stories of how people came to be Cards fans, especially the ones who never lived in St Loo or the Phoenix area.

Man, you were a Rams fan, huh? I’ve also always been interested in stories of how people come to change allegiances. I don’t think I would ever do that. I actually vowed to become a Broncos fan after Jake Plummer went there. And that lasted about 15 minutes.

People out here are always befuddled by my being a Cardinals fan. First, I’ve never lived where they have been and, well, it’s the Cardinals, ya know? Yeah, we know the organization has been worlds better since the younger Bidwill took over, but….so many people only remember the old days and how hopeless the Cardinals were for so long, ya know? So, it never makes sense to them.

Anyway, how ever it happened, we’re glad to have you on board.

29. By Halagator on Mar 5, 2018 | Reply

Scott H & JTDG,

I don’t think anyone is questioning your guys’ loyalty here..
    I think more so that you guys both post a ton and have very strong opinions on what the team should be doing or what they are not doing.

I like to banter with the both of you so keep your posts going so I can keep agreeing and disagreeing with the two of you hard nosed fans.

I’ve never lived in Arizona, but have been a fan since 1988 because my grandparents wintered down in Mesa. They would bring back Cardinals gear for me. I was just getting into football at the time and decided I like the colors and logo and decided to cheer for them…little did I know they would be terrible for such a long period of time. I think up until about 10 years here I was the only Cardinals fan in Saskatchewan.

I’ve always despised people who flip teams to go to the flavor of the week…”oh I’ve always liked this team”…I’ve heard it all before.

Us long term Cards fans are all waiting for that Championship. You guys have been hopeful for a long time so no reason to quit now.

Forever an optimist.

30. By Joe C. on Mar 5, 2018 | Reply

Scott H., its easy to be a lifelong rams fan and switch alliegances, Georgia Frontierre and Vince ferragamo go a long way.

31. By MartinK on Mar 5, 2018 | Reply

Scott H:
    You asked the question: “So, is it me having no patience? Or is it this organization having maybe just a little too much?”
    I just wanted to help you with the answer.
    Maybe you are overlooking the fact that they cannot make a FA deal until the deadline, and they can’t draft until the draft. With these two options open it would be stupid to force an impatient trade now unless they know exactly who they want in a trade. Smith gone to Washington already, there is not much of a choice than to be patient.

32. By Scott H on Mar 5, 2018 | Reply

Martin –

I see other teams making trades for players that I believe will have impact. And trades can be made right now, can’t they?

And I have no idea why a trade(s) would be either stupid or impatient. I think that view is foolish. But you have your view, I have mine. You see waiting as wise. I see waiting as a lack of the aggressiveness we keep hearing about. And if you think I have no basis for suggesting that, you don’t need to look any further than last off-season.

33. By Scott H on Mar 5, 2018 | Reply

Halagator –

Thanks for weighing in.

No, no one has questioned my loyalty. I’ve never encountered that. My issue is patience. So, I responded to that.

But I enjoyed your post. Your unique story is very cool, just as many others are! Looks like you came on board right after they moved out west.

I’m always amazed by the really simple and rather provincial idea that many people subscribe to that if you’re born in a particular area, then you root for those teams. Period. But I think that is ridiculous! How un-American! Maybe it’s like that other places, too, but people are definitely big on that philosophy out here. But in this country, we have freedom of choice and that is MY philosophy. Root for who you want to root for. Make your own choice. And wear the colors with pride.

I find I don’t really care for Philly sports fans, so….I kinda like the Phillies but other than that, I’m glad I’m not a part of them. Geez, maybe I knew that even when I was 9 years old ( when I became a Cardinals fan ).