Where the Cardinals’ draft picks officially fall

Posted by Darren Urban on March 6, 2018 – 8:56 am

The NFL put out the official draft order of all seven rounds for April. The Cardinals, of course, have seven picks after acquiring three compensatory choices. They have two picks in the third round, none in the sixth, and their seventh round pick is third to last (so, barring a trade, Saturday is gonna be a long day.) The Cardinals’ original choices are all 15th in the respective rounds:

First round (15th overall)

Second round (47th overall)

Third round (79th overall)

Third round comp pick (33rd in round, 97th overall)

Fourth round comp pick (34th in round, 134th overall)

Fifth round (152nd overall)

Seventh round comp pick (36th in round, 254th overall)

47 Responses to “Where the Cardinals’ draft picks officially fall”

1. By Coach K on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

Would you agree that we must not give up the best player available to reach for a Quarterback in round one?

If so, I say take the sure thing in round one like the best offensive tackle, or best defensive tackle as an example.

Yes, we need a quarterback, but if we cannot afford to get one of the top two blue chip QB prospects, I think it’s too costly to move up for Rosen or Mayfield. I would rather get offensive line and defensive line addressed first.

Rudolph will slide to round two along with Jackson. Falk will be there in round three. I’d rather have the Cards sign Keenum or McCown, or even Gabbert and then get their QB in round two or three.

We need O-line, D-line, wide receiver and corner. Thankfully, this draft is loaded with quality defensive backs So one will be available in round three or four.

Do you agree we focus on Best Available Athlete, or do you think our QB situation warrants taking a risk and moving up to grab one of the top four QB prospects?

2. By Darren Urban on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: First round

IMO, no, you don’t reach. But “reach” is a subjective term, no?

It all depends with how far you are reaching. I have seen a couple places where they say the top QB is only the fifth or sixth best player — so are the Browns reaching if they go QB No. 1?

You think those QBs will be there in round two. I would not be surprised at all if both Jackson and Rudolph are off the board (along with Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Allen) by the time the Cards pick 15th in round two. Again, it’s a game of chicken with a lot of other teams, and you don’t know who might be waiting to grab a QB. At some point, the Cards need to draft a QB high. I don’t want it to be someone they don’t believe in.

I do agree with the comment from yesterday that there are so many views from the fans about what should happen at the position that, no matter what they do, many will be unhappy with the decision.

3. By JTDG on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

For all those who think Keim is a master at the cap;

The cards are now (after adjustment by league) a tad over 20 million in cap space.

Had Carson Palmer decided to play this year, the cards would have @ 6 million in cap space.

That isn’t enough to sign our own FAs, let alone someone elses. So, had Palmer played, it would have been tough to land a Tramon Williams, Josh Bynes, John Brown, Jaron Brown or any of those guys and players like Norwell or any other name would have been impossible.

But since Palmer did retire, he gives the cards 14 million in cap relief bringing the cap up to 20 million.

So, for those who want Cousins and fix the line, good luck with that.

Now, with a release of Veldheer and Iupati, you can get 13 million more in cap space and with the release of Badger, you get another 5 million. Bucannon counts as 8.7 million so you could move him. So you could add another 27 million to that 20 million to give us 47 million in cap room.

But now you need a LG, RT, ILB and Safety, and you still need help at CB2 and CB3 (since 80% of the time you are in nickle), and Center and RG, and receivers; Not to mention the all important QB or should I say QBs, since we need at least 2.

Don’t worry, all can be fixed in the draft. At 47 million in cap room after cuts / trades, and 4 picks in the top 100, the cards could turn this around. But that would take aggressive moves that pay off.

Oh wait, the guy who got us in this mess is the guy who will fix it? Uhg.

4. By JTDG on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

Coach K and Darren;

I respect Mike Mayock as one of the tops in analyzing the draft. I also agree completely with his believe, that if there is a QB who you believe is that franchise guy, there is no such thing as reaching.

If he is your guy, meaning he can be that guy for the next 10 years leading your team, grab him. Don’t get caught up in this, “can I move down a few spots and get him” stuff.

If you believe Rudolph is a franchise guy or Lamar Jackson, or whoever, and they are at 15, take them.

If you don’t believe they are a franchise guy, why are you wasting a 2nd round pick? Don’t take them at all.

Those flyers, so to speak, are for teams with a QB. They are thinking, hey if he pans out great, but if not, I still have my guy. Like the cards with Palmer the last few years.

But a team like the cards now , who need a starter, can’t waste picks. They have lots of needs. So, you take that franchise guy if you believe he is a franchise guy. Otherwise, don’t take a QB and get a FA till you find him.

As a GM, you have to stay focused and not listen to the news. If you felt there were 3 franchise QBs in this draft, and they are gon at 15, go a different direction with all your picks.

But if Lamar Jackson or Rudolph is the guy, take him at 15

5. By D on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

Keim will need MacGyver bubble gum to fill all of the holes this offseason with his limited CAP space.
    The one saving grace is that he could push some signing bonuses to next year when AZ will have much more Cap space available.

I am ruling out Cousins signing here because it doesn’t make any sense for him. His Agent already has two team competing against each other in MN and NY, his deal will get done on Monday via by phone.

It will be the struggle for Keim to fight against the loser of MN/Jets and the Broncos for the scraps of Keenum/Bridgewater etc because Keim will want these QB’s to visit Tempe while most teams will do a deal over the phone and have a done deal by Tues. (assuming AJ will sign with the Browns)

I could see Keim having to change to plan B/C by signing McCown type of Vet and draft Rudolph in Round 1. Like Darren has stated, he won’t be able to wait until Round 2 because the top 7 QB’s could be gone by pick 47. I would try to move back 5-8 spots to gain additional 2nd round pick and still take Rudolph.
    Use your second round draft picks for CB and OT or Guard

I could see Veldheer and Iupati released and probably the Badger, but guessing Bucannon will stay.

Keim will need to spend wisely on free agents due to the number of holes and limited funds.

G- J. Sitton
    WR- C. Latimer/ T. Gabriel
    OT- C. Fleming
    TE- E. Dickson/V. Green
    ILB- J. Bynes
    CB- T. Williams/B. Maxwell
    OLB- K. Martin

6. By clssylssy on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

Just saw the latest mock draft having the Cardinals taking Mayfield at 15. I HOPE NOT! It seems there are some very impressive players in this draft, many of whom are at positions we desperately need. I hope all this Combine hype isn’t to snow fans into believing we are so desperate that anybody we take is going to be a gift! Many of the major “Contender teams” are focusing on offensive linemen and secondary players, and while we don’t have our franchise QB, that doesn’t mean we have to “settle” just to put somebody in a uniform.
    It was interesting to hear Keim talk about Mayfield and commoent that he didn’t foresee his personality changing–hmm, couldn’t agree more, plus the guy wasn’t that gifted as a physical speciman with sloppy feet. Hard to picture Mayfield and Fitz on the same roster!

7. By creditcard on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

I’ve always liked Tom Coughlin, his eye for talent, and philosophy on who to pay. Coughlin claimed — pay the people closest to the ball the most.

Therefore, your QB then the two lines (O-line and D-Line) are the next to highest paid, then RBs and LBs, then finally WRs and secondary.

Cardinals have done the opposite.

enough said.

8. By JTDG on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

I think Coughlin has a point.

I think you can find RBs and Receivers and ILBs in every draft that can play.
    The QB handles the ball on every play, calls the plays, is the leader. That is why he makes the most. Protecting that QB now becomes very important, so the line gets paid.
    Now , hitting that QB, becomes huge, so pass rushers get paid.

That all makes sense. But because this league has defenses playing nickel so much, those CBs value has gone up. DBs who can tackle and cover are very valuable because you can take a LB off the field. So, since the defenses have changed, so has the value of DBs .

So, the cards highest paid players are(with no QB yet), Larry, Pat P , Chandler Jones, and TM.
    TM , in 2015, makes sense as does Chandler and PP. but Larry doesn’t.
    But how could you not pay Larry? When you have the GOAT, doesn’t that philosophy go out the window? I don’t think I could ever not pay Larry, even if Coughlin is correct.

9. By jeffcardinalfan on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

how the draft goes will be determined on what happens in free agency.

in mho cards should NOT bid on cousins and should sign in order: one of bridgewater, keenum, taylor, mccown, and sign gabber as well.

cut Gresham and iupati, let hb go if he wont redo his contract.

resign t Williams and kareem martin and bynes, let buchanon go.

sign a top guard in fa.

then in draft with first 4 pics take qb, ol, corner, and receiver…not necessarily in that order. with last 3 pics take interior d-line and speed for special teams.

as far as drafting a qb-its a crapshoot at best. all prospects have a flaw and its hard to tell if it matters(to paraphrase cosner). brady-small and slow, montana-average arm and small, Demarcus Russell-great physical talent-bust, ryan leaf-great physical talent-bad head, Russell Wilson-too small. however if you invest a lot in high qb pic and he bombs its a career ender for gm and coach. you can also get incredibly lucky_prescorr in 4rth or brady in 6th-doesnt happen often.

im sure sk will mess this up…as ive said before I believe wilks is sk’s last coach if cards don’t win.

10. By JTDG on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

Interesting article at predicting the off season QBs;

I think it is as good as anyone’s I’ve seen.

The belief here is the cards sign Teddy Bridgewater and draft Lamar Jackson.
    Not sure why they do both, as I think Jackson, because of his legs, could play day one. But hey, it is a logical guess.

11. By creditcard on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

I understand what you’re saying, and yes Larry Fitz is much more than just a player. The point I was trying to make, is the over-reaching philosophy of draft and if everything else is equal, where do you invest the money.

I played football in a totally different period of time,and the game has changed. Having said that, i still think an age-old formula is to block better and tackle better than your opponent. If you do that, chances are your team will be successful.

It is not a sexy formula, but even in today’s times, I think it works. Jacksonville proved it last year. The old 3-yards and a pile of dust, is boring to watch, but I think it is effective.

I think most of the teams in the league have multiple issues with their offensive line. Is it because D-linemen are much better, or defensive schemes are better? Or, is it coaches wanting to electrify the crowds with big plays, and the basic formula to solid football is getting lost in the equation.

I like what Wilks mentioned about taking the ‘will’ out of a defense, by running the ball. In order to do that, I think the Cards need to get better athletes up front and a renewed spirit that the lines are the lowest common denominator in winning a game.

12. By JTDG on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

I agree with you.

As for Olines, I think it is coaching. It seems some coaches always could run the ball because of their scheme partly, but I think it is a commitment to the run that matters.

If I am being truthful, the issues with the cards Oline is based on the pass protection. Palmer was getting killed back there. But if I was honest, a healthy Iupati and Veldheer, to go with Humphries (healthy), Shipley and a RG, this oline could be pretty good in the run blocking. Although I am not sold on Shipley because of his very short arms and lack of movement skills.

Take Iupati. This guy can move anyone on the planet in the hole, but struggles with speed.

So, lets say, as “D” has been saying, the cards sign Josh Sitton at RG and drafted say Frank Ragnow in round 3, the oline would be able to run block. If Coach Wilks and the OC are committed to running the ball with DJ, they will be able to.
    Best thing for a young QB and will slow down pass rushers if you get it going.

BA believed passing opened the run. With a Rookie QB possibly , this team will need to run to open the pass.

Here is the good news. Ray Brown is a very good oline coach.
    Jason Peters was undrafted, Brown coached him to his first pro bowl.
    Worked with IUpati as a Rookie
    Andrew Norwell was undrafted and Trai Turner was drafted at the end of round 3, and Brown helped both become dominate guards.
    When you think of the Panthers since 2011, you think of a team that can play smash mouth.

As many times I have called for Iupati and Veldheer to be released to save cap money, maybe they keep them and let Brown get them going.

If cards fans want a reason for optimism, I give you Ray Brown.

13. By Patrick on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

jeffcardinalfan on Mar 6, 2018 | Reply

“cut Gresham and iupati, let hb go if he wont redo his contract.”

Cutting Gresham will cost 2M this year (no savings) on a salary cap strapped team, so not happening.

But it is sad that a player (based on performance) should be released before a contract extension starts. By waiting a year, Keim can have actual cap savings and blame it on not recovering from his injury.

14. By D on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

The stories are starting to leak out…reality setting in for some fans..that AZ doesn’t have the $ for Cousins and Norwell. Don’t worry, there are plenty of good free agents that can help the Cards and won’t break the bank and could be considered upgrades.

15. By dynosoar on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

Personally, I’d love to see a trade for Andy Dalton or Phillip Rivers.

Then my list is Foles
    (I get a lot want Cousins and there is an argument for the team around him vs. the numbers he’s put up, but where’s the playoffs?

I also would love to see Stanton stay as I see him winning more games than losing and if he can improve his passing percentage to above 60%, which I believe he would if he was given stater reps in practices and starting in games, he’d be a very good QB.

(I’d like to see a trade for Josh Dobbs who’s currently at Pittsburgh.)

Drew Stanton win/loss = 11/6, 0.647%
    Carson Wentz win/loss = 18/11, 0.621%
    Nick Foles win/loss = 25/18, 0.851% (with a SB MVP win)
    Andy Dalton = 32/48/2, 0.562%
    Phillip Rivers = 110/91, 0.547%

Kirk Cousins = 26/31/1, 0.457%

There’s definitely a body of work to look at, Stanton has the fewest games played, Rivers the most, but I don’t get the rage about Cousins, unless one believes he’s becoming a fine wine, better with age.

16. By Joe C. on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

I liked Arians, a lot. But his offensive style was definitely pass first and second. That is hard on an o-line.

17. By D on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

Trade possibility

The draft is deep with CB’s this year, which is good because AZ probably will need to add at least 2 this offseason with T. Williams being a UFA and 35 years old, Bethel is a UFA and won’t be back, and the chance that Honey Badger may get released.

Cards will use one draft pick at a CB.

The Eagles have been vocal on the fact that they don’t have a second or a 3rd Round pick this year and they may look at trading a player for at least a 3rd Round pick.

The Cards have 2 -3rd Round picks.

Ronald Darby CB, is in his last year of his deal. He was injured most of last year. He could be moved for a 3rd round pick.

5″11, 24 years old. 5 picks in 3 years, has speed. $1mil contract for 2018.

Should Keim make this trade?

18. By dynosoar on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

Oh my. Did I mess that one up.

Andy Dalton is 62 / 48 / 2 NOT 32 wins, but 62 wins. OOPS.

SO updated

Drew Stanton.. = 11 / 6………. 0.647%
    Carson Wentz = 18 / 11…….. 0.621%
    Nick Foles……. = 25 / 18…….. 0.851% (with a SB MVP win and best win/loss %)
    Andy Dalton…. = 62 / 48 / 2… 0.562%
    Phillip Rivers… = 110 / 91…… 0.547%

Kirk Cousins…. = 26 / 31 / 1… 0.457%

19. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

dyno.. good read, you got a typo on Foles too, btw

20. By Scott H on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

Wow….just now seeing the breaking story about Richard Sherman possibly being out in Seattle for 2018.

No, not saying we must make him a Cardinal…..he’s older….coming off serious injury…..always been a hot-head.

Then again, at CB opposite PP, we could do worse.

If nothing else, it is interesting for how it will mark the end of the Legion of Boom era in Seattle and how it may impact a division rival. BUT I would also fully expect that Seattle will have a legit replacement for him on the field come opening day if he leaves. I may hate them as a rival but I DO respect and admire the way they tend to address their needs.

Michael Bennett is also apparently available…..another player that has tormented us over the years. I will NOT miss him.

21. By Coach K on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

Looking at this draft class, there is no doubt every team needing a QB will reach. The last few drafts have proven this.

So based on draft history, I must agree that if a QB you love is in the top four, your move up and give up a top draft pick next year to get your guy. That is the least expensive way to do it. However, if you feel the guy you love can be drafted at 15 like Jackson, you take him. If all are gone except Rudolph, then consider moving down 5 or 6 picks and take Rudolph plus get an extra pick.

I can’t understand the mixed reviews on Rudolph. Half the experts say he is a first round pick, The other half say round two or even three. Don’t understand that. His stats look good. Must be his mobility or average arm strength.

I am thinking I trade Honey Badger and a draft pick to Buffalo for Taylor as the bridge QB. Then draft the QB you love and we are set. Then focus on needs in round two, three and four.

22. By dynosoar on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

Adam, oh yes I do.

Foles is 0.581 (not better than Brady’s 0.778% at .851). Next time I’ll wake up before typing in numbers. So no more early morning posts. Sorry ya’ll.

In order of winning percentage (taking into account games played)

Nick Foles……. = 25 / 18…….. 0.851% (with a SB MVP win and best win/loss %)
    Andy Dalton…. = 62 / 48 / 2… 0.562%
    Phillip Rivers… = 110 / 91…… 0.547%
    Drew Stanton.. = 11 / 6………. 0.647%
    Carson Wentz = 18 / 11…….. 0.621%
    Kirk Cousins…. = 26 / 31 / 1… 0.457%

I’d love to see a trade for Dalton or Rivers. Would Cinci or LA be willing?
    Would a certain Drew Breeze be willing to change scenery? I believe mitchaz said he felt Drew coming here May entice Larry to a three year deal. Would a Dalton or Rivers deal also intice the same three year deal?

I think either of those three QBs (and depending on the deal, Foles) would be “non passive” (haha) in Free Agency.

Then go after the best O-Line we can put together and keep HB.

23. By dynosoar on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

In two years we Won’t miss the Honey Badger’s 2018 Cap Hit,

But We Willl Miss Tyrann Mathieu.

Whatever we do cap space wise this year, I want to see Tyrran in Cardinals Red.

If we want the best FA QB we can get, we’ll need a deep seated commitment to the O-Line. And I loved reading JTDG thoughts and insite into our new O-Line coach, Coach Brown.

Keep the Honey Badger, get the best FA QB we can, draft that (fingers crossed) QBOF and Shore up the O-Line. Oh and throw in a Corner for good measure opposite PP because we’re keeping him as well.

I don’t see it as too much to ask. We have the rest of the team. If those players are in place, we can get WRs to compliment Larry and we’ll do just fine.

24. By JTDG on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

Robert Nkemdiche;

One has to wonder what Keim was thinking when he choose him in the first round in 2016. Here are some comments in his scouting reports;

– For all the talent and athletic traits, his production was disappointing. Produced low tackle totals and just 6.5 sacks over three years. Never forced or recovered a fumble

– Was suspended for Sugar Bowl after being arrested and charged with marijuana a possession. Scouting community has serious concerns about his personal character and work ethic.

What was Keim thinking?

His first two years with the cards he played in 353 snaps and produced zero sacks and 12 tackles. That is really bad. So, where does that leave him ?

The new coaching staff has come in and said he will have a clean slate. But I think he needs a new position. He is big and quick, but really gets no push on the inside. Once a Olineman gets their hands on him, he is done.

So, I would look to have him get lighter. I would like to see him get to 280, and move him out to DE in a 4-3, and on passing downs, bring Golden in to come off the edge.

Being on the edge, be lighter, all could play into his strength of being quicker. It worked for Chandler Jones. A big off season could really help the guy make an impact. Heck, it couldn’t hurt as he is on his way to being out of the league by 2019.

25. By D on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

We have a Signing!!!!!!! Welcome back A. Brewer.

Thank you Rams for dealing away W. Hayes and Seattle for dealing away Bennett. Now, if R. Sherman is released, it will be the Trifecta for the division helping out AZ.

Now, since R. Sherman represents himself, let’s see how good of a Salesman Larry really is…heck, Sherm already has a Larry F. Softball jersey, almost like home here in the desert for him…

26. By erik on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

I like the Darby trade idea. But, what I really want to see is R. Sherman playing opposite Pat Peterson. Sounds like his time is coming to an end in Seattle. He is the guy you hate on the other team, but love on your own team. And I have to say, I think the Cardinals need a few more edgy players. They have too many nice guys.

27. By dynosoar on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

I’m not a fan of Richard Sherman’s “in your face attitude”, but one can not deny he is good, very good.

Patrick Peterson with Richard Sherman opposite and Tyrann in the middle.

And with that secondary think of how Few opponents over the years have gained over 100 yards on the ground on our defense.

28. By JTDG on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

Richard Sherman;

I’ve been saying this for months. Why Shocked ? All one has to do is look at the salary cap and the free agents the Seahawks have. It just makes sense.

Now to reality. I know I have been saying sign Sherman after released for some time now, but he isn’t playing for Pistachios. I would think it will take a 3 year 35 million deal to get him. I could see New England grabbing him

29. By JTDG on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

My Tennessee fan;

I know you love your Voles. I got to say, one of my sleepers for this draft is John Kelly. Remember we talked about him a couple years ago?

Love this guy and if I were Keim, he is a guy I grab in the 4th round. With such depth at RB, I think he can drop that far and would be a steal.

30. By Darren Urban on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Vols comment

Congrats. Yours was the 125,000th approved comment on this blog.

There is no good reason to note this. It just caught my attention.

31. By JTDG on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

Ha, I think between me and Scott H, we have half of them.

32. By dynosoar on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

It is cool that I get to share (ok, I’m just stealing) in your 125K approved comment. It’s probably fitting this should go to you as you’re among the top ten commentators.

John Kelly could do good behind David Johnson. In 283 carries over three years he averaged 5.3 yards with only 2 fumbles. And with 145 carries last season on an imploding Vols team he had 8TDs and ) fumbles. Sleeper indeed, we shall see.

I’d still love 1 QB and 6 O-Linemen drafted.

And thanks for the update on Nkemdiche. I appreciate as down as you have been on him for a while, you back it up with stats, but more importantly you point out how you believe he could turn it all around and be an impact player for the team.

33. By El Gallo on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

– bench mark

Interesting haha, nice one Darren.
    Congrats JTDG seems appropriate.

34. By creditcard on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

Red the article on Josh Allen. If the Cards are lucky enough to nab him — they should. As for the accuracy question… Sam Darold, Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield all had All-American receivers to throw to, and had some of the best linemen in front of them. Those three guys could heave it in the vicinity of the receiver, and good things would probably happen.

Josh Allen on the other hand, did NOT have the greatest athletes surrounding him. So when Allen just heaved it out there, more times than not, a bad scenario would happen.

Thus is Allen’s accuracy any better or worse than Darold, Rosen or Mayfield? Probably just as good, if not better. Look at the entire picture not just a small piece.

35. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 7, 2018 | Reply

Darren…125,000 approved comments. That’s not too shabby but just think how many we would have if we included the “unapproved comments”.. Just kidding. And, I think we have 643 contributors to your blog. Close? And out of all the contributors, who has commented the most? JTDG, Scott H, Clssy Lssy, Dr.G, Coach K, Dynosoar….they all have to be in the running. And, one last question. When did your blog start and who was the first one to comment? I just went back to Aug 2009 and read a few posts but did not go further back than that.

36. By Darren Urban on Mar 8, 2018 | Reply

JohnnyBluenose —

RE: Blog

This version of the blog started in August of 2009 as you saw. I had a previous version without comments.

37. By Coach K on Mar 8, 2018 | Reply

Should we get Allen Robinson?

6-3, 220 lbs, 4.40 speed and a leaper

Coming off an ACL tear but if he gets back to his previous form, we
    are looking at a big, athletic pro bowl receiver.

Will Keim make a move for Robinson of the Jags?

I hope so.

38. By D on Mar 8, 2018 | Reply

per MJ

(Over the Cap)
    1. #Steelers: minus-$12,355,114
    2. #Eagles: minus-$9,800,978
    3. #Dolphins: minus-$9,482,304
    4. #Chiefs: minus-$8,831,248
    5. #Cowboys: minus-$3,241,359

Going to see some more players get released in the next 72 hours
    Surprised AP hasn’t officially been released yet by AZ

39. By JTDG on Mar 8, 2018 | Reply

The Steelers just redid Antonio Brown, so they are plus 1 million. But they still need to cut some players. I don’t know how Shazeirs contract would go. I guess they have to count it. Mike Mitchell would make sense saving 6.5 million, but would they part with Mike Pouncey (saving 6 million) for a second rounder?
    To have Pouncey for 7 per year would be a steal.

It looks like Vinny Curry could be on his way out saving 5 million. Torrey Smith will save 5 million. Kendricks has been long rumored to be out saving 4 million. Brent Celek is old and could save 4 million. The big question is the Tackles. With Vaitai playing so well last year, could they move Lane Johnson (saving 6 million) or Jason Peters saving 4 million.

They are shopping Jarvis Landry, which save 15 million. Ja Juan James looks to be released or traded saving 9 million. I think they would like to move Suh, saving 4 million but getting out from that huge hit of 26 million next year. Julius Thomas could be out saving 4.5 million.

They are under by 20 million. not sure why they are on list

They are up 4 million now. The release of Dez save 8.5 million. They could extend Zac Martin and save some money. With Tyron Smith making 17 million and Fredrick making 13 million, can they sink another 13-14 million a year into another olineman? Could Dallas look Oline in this heavy interior line draft, and trade away Zac Martin?

Could the cards steal away a couple start lineman? A second for Pouncey (since he is under contract for years) and a 3 and 5 for Martin, as this is his last year under contract. Could that happen?

Sign Zac Martin to the same contract Kevin Zeitler got (5 years -60 million with 8 million as a cap hit) and then Pouncey counts 7 million
    You would have Martin and Pouncey for the same money roughly as the release of Veldheer and Iupati.

Just talking out loud.

40. By D on Mar 8, 2018 | Reply

J James, RT from the Dolphins interested the Cards when he was coming out. He would be an upgrade for AZ. I proposed earlier to trading DBuc for him, but I doubt Mr. Keim will give up on DBuc since the Cards are in need of LB’s with him on the roster.
    There could be some big names on the street by Saturday if they don’t agree to re-structures, or pay cuts.

41. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 8, 2018 | Reply

Darren. I think the first person to make a comment on your blog was “CP”, commenting favourably about a kick returner named Michael Ray Garvin. This was on Sept 11th, 2009. It is interesting to go back and read the old articles, such things as whether or not players like Michael Adams and Larod Stephens-Howling, who were on the bubble, would make the final roster. Or how the search for a quarterback would end up. Sound familiar? So, congratulations CP for being, I think, the first person to have his or her comment published.

42. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2018 | Reply

Wait….Richard Sherman to the PATRIOTS?? I gotta say, I do not see that as a fit. Sherman is a little too loud for their style, definitely as long as Beilichek is there. My recent memories of Sherman have included his needing to be restrained by multiple teammates during a game ( I forget if he was going at it with another Seahawks player or a coach ) and his openly criticizing the team’s play-calling after a game against the Chiefs.

Those things DO NOT fly in New England.

I actually like Sherman. But at his age and coming back from the injury he just had….I don’t know about 3 years and a lot of money. I like what Philly did last year, trading for a young CB ( Darby ) who wasn’t a household name but could definitely play. And who wasn’t a guy that needed to be restrained by his teammates during games! 🙂

But I get the connection of Sherman to the Pats because Sherman seems best suited for a team that is ready to win NOW. But although I know nobody wants to hear it, I just don’t see the Cardinals being a win NOW team.

Hard to see any ream that way when you can’t even name their QB.

43. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2018 | Reply

JTDG –

Hey, congrats on your milestone! Right place, right time. But there is no one more likely to have claimed that award than you! You da’ man.

RE: Nkemdiche, a big off-season would help….

No, I disagree. He always has a big off-season. Tears people apart during training camp and pre-season games. Then, he disappears. What he needs ( or, more importantly, what WE need FROM him ) is a big REGULAR season! THAT would help.

He is already headed down the road to bust status. I would love to see him “find it” in his 3rd season. We’ll see.

44. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2018 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: I think between me and Scott H, we have half of them

And I’m pretty sure we have MORE then half the total number of thumbs downs given since they came into being. If you’re looking for a partner to win that one, I am definitely your man! 🙂

45. By JTDG on Mar 8, 2018 | Reply

Hey Darren,

As the 125,000 response, there should be a prize, shouldn’t there?

How about letting me announce a pick at the draft for the cards. I promise I will say who they right down. 🙂

46. By Dr. G. on Mar 8, 2018 | Reply

JTDG = TMPP is your new moniker. ((The most prolific poster))

Now, I forgot to mention regarding Sherman…he and Peterson play it up, but they will be like OIL & WATER if they tried to play together.

Hey P2, how’d you not pick that off and let him score? You suck!
    Sherwoman, That was Julio, you dumb ass! I hate your hair!
    Oh yeah, you’re ugly, and your mother dresses you funny! At least I have hair.
    Sherm, you’re ugly to the bone. Mirrors don’t lie, and you’re lucky they don’t laugh.

A cold one after…Ok…youre buyin’. Nope, you rich freak rookie!

Later, Cards Fans ((QB, OL, CB, WR FS))

47. By CARDS62 on Mar 9, 2018 | Reply

I know you will honor your word and say the name written on the card, but I think Steve Keim will be too worried about the expression on your face and your commentary on the pick to allow you any TV time, ha ha.

Keep those post coming JTDG.