Justin Pugh and Pat Tillman’s jersey

Posted by Darren Urban on March 18, 2018 – 1:09 pm

New Cardinals guard Justin Pugh grew up on the East Coast and is playing some catch-up in learning about the history of his new team. But Pugh’s brother is in the military, and there is one Cardinal Pugh knows very well — Pat Tillman.

“It’s actually funny when I signed … My nephew is nine years old,” Pugh said. “We have a Pat Tillman jersey at my house. So, my nephew was like, ‘We already have a jersey hanging in the rafters right now,’ and it’s a Pat Tillman jersey.”

Pugh feels very strongly about the military, using his My Cause, My Cleats window to support Merging Vets and Players. Even though Pugh played for the Giants the past five years, it was a Cardinals jersey that hung near an American flag on the wall of the house in Holland, Pennsylvania.

“That’s (a picture) he sent to me,” Pugh said. “I sent him a picture of Pat Tillman’s locker right now, and he’s like, ‘No offense to you. I think Pat Tillman might be the first Cardinals (jersey I wear). I’ll have that jersey, wearing it, before I get your own jersey.’

“Obviously, (Tillman) made the ultimate sacrifice for this country, and everything that he did, you wish you could be half the man that he was.”

Tags: ,

19 Responses to “Justin Pugh and Pat Tillman’s jersey”

1. By dynosoar on Mar 18, 2018 | Reply

I have many heroes and mentors in my life and I say the same thing of them all. I wish I could be half the individual they are/were.

I sure hope Justin’s back is healed. I’ve had back injuries before and only whooping cough is worse. Not even shingles are as bad as a lower back injury. I also hope he’s healed enough to play at the level he wants (and given his previous play, that would be very high level.)

If that were my nephew, I’d send him two jerseys and mail them a week apart, Tillman’s one week and mine the next. Man, that’s going to be a fun next visit to his brother’s house.

Go Cardinals, we can win this season. We don’t have to wait.

2. By Steve on Mar 18, 2018 | Reply

Darren: After the signings of Andre Smith and Pugh and getting Iupati to take a pay cut, do you see the Cards trying to go after more O-line in free agency?

3. By Darren Urban on Mar 18, 2018 | Reply

Steve —

RE: OL FA

I would doubt it.

4. By Scott H on Mar 18, 2018 | Reply

Very, very cool.

I work at a state prison out here in NJ….obviously, a very testosterone-laden environment and one that is charged with rabid football fans of teams from all over the NFL ( although we’re all pretty sure I’m the only Cardinals fan! ). Custody officers are very gung-ho people. And many of them are also former military, which also lends itself to a gung-ho mind set. None of which is a criticism, by the way. They’re good guys. As veterans AND law enforcement officers, I couldn’t respect them any more than I do.

Point is, I know a few guys there who are die-hard fans of other teams who own a Pat Tillman jersey and swear that his jersey is the ONLY jersey they would EVER wear from any team other than their own. And that speaks to the impact Pat Tillman has had and how people feel about him. It goes far beyond team colors.

Speaking of colors, I think it just happens to be pretty cool that the white Tillman jersey ( the one I have ) just happens to be include the colors red, white, and blue. Coincidence? I think there’s GOT to be something to that.

5. By CARDS62 on Mar 18, 2018 | Reply

Very cool story Darren as Justin Pugh is one I will definitely root for now.

The flag also looks like it could have a story to tell. Hopefully you can talk to Justin about that another time and update us.

Go Cardinals and Go USA!

6. By NJAzCardsFan on Mar 18, 2018 | Reply

Darren or anyone else…. Now that the Cards have a QB who is an accurate passer, what are they going to do about WR’s…??? The Cards have Fitz and JJ Nelson along with an unproven Chad Williams. Do they have enough Cap Space to sign any Quality WR’s or TE’s???

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 19, 2018 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: WR

Obviously it needs to be addressed. Did have a FA visit from Jordan Matthews.

8. By Rick on Mar 19, 2018 | Reply

You just got to respect the family and the man.

9. By D on Mar 19, 2018 | Reply

Like others have said, SK and AZ are taking a chance with players on the Oline with injury histories. Pugh is a big upgrade if healthy. A. Smith is a upgrade for run blocking, his pass protection is lacking. J. Veldheer was not good at all last year at RT, he is a Left Tackle, and a decent one. I think they will have to release him if unable to trade. They need his Cap relief to sign other players. (WR/CB) DJ needs to stay healthy. Iupati also has had many injuries and probably is the biggest question mark. If healthy, Iupati is still a good run blocker. I think the Center position will be whomever the Oline Coach believes in, I still would doubt it will be AQ, even though he is reliable, he isn’t the road grader this team is looking for on the Oline.
    I don’t see AZ giving up raonsom/first of kin- to move up in the top 10 of the draft. I like and I believe so does SK M. Rudolph at QB. I think they will attempt to move back spots and draft him, gain another 3rd round draft pick in the process, if so, I would be fine with:

Round 1–moving down to #24 w/Panthers who have 2 #3 Round picks, getting one of those 3rd round picks and taking-

#24–M. Rudolph QB
    RD 2– B. Price C/OG
    RD 3–best available CB
    RD 3–best available WR
    RD 3– best available LB

10. By creditcard on Mar 19, 2018 | Reply

Great story, great character on behave of Pugh. It appears he already has leadership skills to go along with his great physical attributes.

I have said this often, I think a part of the Cards O-line problems was three fold. First the play calling did not align with the O-line talents. Second, the O-line drafting needed to be vastly improved. Third, and most important, the coaching needed to improve.

I think with the additions on the O-line, a quicker passing attack, power running, and better O-line teaching / coaching; the Cards O-line very well could be a strength vs. currently a weakness on the team.

11. By creditcard on Mar 19, 2018 | Reply

Unrelated comment:

The addition of Bradford IF healthy can afford the Cards to bring a new QB along in 2-3 years from now. Bradford when healthy is at least an average QB in the league, and has the ability to keep the Cards competitive in all games.

Meaning, Bradford gives the Cards to draft a QB that is not ‘ready’ for 2018. Thus they could draft a Jackson, or Loulette perhaps in the 2nd round. The Cards NEED MORE draft picks, AND they have to do a better job in selection.

Trade the 1st round pick down in order to pick up a late 1st and a late 2nd or 3rd.

There is 4-6 teams ahead of the Cards in the draft, that appear to be drafting a QB in the 1st round. If the Cards were to trade -up, they will be paying for this move for a few years — too costly.

12. By David on Mar 19, 2018 | Reply

Praise The Lord for Pat and your and especially your little nephew’s honor of one of our hero – and all those who are willing to put themselves in harm’s way even being “God’s arm of mercy, justice, vengence.”

13. By patrick on Mar 19, 2018 | Reply

Darren-
    Interesting Bradford contract had per game bonuses. Correct me if I am wrong, but they would for the most part be considered NLTBE (not likely to be earned) based on his availability last year and thus mostly if not all NOT counting towards 2018 cap. As opposed to LTBE (likely to be earned) which would count towards 2018 cap.

Interesting because the Cardinals are wanting Bradford to be healthy all year but are taking advantage of his injury history to structure his contract to defer some money until next year.

14. By Big Ken on Mar 19, 2018 | Reply

The numbers on Sam Bradford’s two year deal are out. WOW!

15. By Shaun Gavaghan on Mar 19, 2018 | Reply

What’s happening Cards fans! This is my house shown here. The flag is made of whiskey barrel staves, from a company in NC. Justin got it for us for Christmas a couple years ago. And as for the jersey, I racked my brain thinking of which athlete was worthy of going up first. While the Philadelphia legends had come to mind first, I settled on Pat Tillman. My kids, ages 9,7 and 5 can all tell you (while in limited detail) his story.

Hope to catch up with you guys in AZ! Please keep an eye on the little guy for us!

Shaun

16. By Scott H on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

I’d love to see the inside of this house…looks pretty cool.

17. By Coach K on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

D

I agree with the move down. Cardinals are literally out of the first four QB’s. I am sure Buffalo will move up again into #4 slot and Keim will not risk that many picks to moveup for one of the top four QB’s

If Denver takes a QB, the Cards really should move down and get an extra 2nd round pick.

2. Mar 19, 2018: Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals make changes on offensive line, dealing with what's left in free agency and more | VegasPicks.com
  3. Mar 19, 2018: Monday morning one-liners | High Velocity Sport