Fewer early kickoffs for Cardinals in the East?

Posted by Darren Urban on March 20, 2018 – 12:17 pm

The annual spring owners meetings are next week, and as always, there will be a handful of new rules proposals to consider for the teams. One interesting one was noted by SI’s Albert Breer:  “No team will be scheduled to play more than three away games with a scheduled kickoff time prior to 1:00 p.m. in the time zone of their home stadium (without consent).”

The proposal was created by three teams, all of which are (obviously) in the West: The Cardinals, Chargers and 49ers.

This has long been a point of contention for teams on this side of the country. It’s always a 10 a.m. kickoff for California teams (or the Seahawks) when they play a 1 p.m. game in the Eastern time zone. The Cards catch a minor break after daylight savings kicks in, since later in the season those kickoffs would mean 11 a.m. Arizona time as opposed to the 10 a.m. they face earlier in the year.

Regardless, it’s never been something that’s ideal. Last season, the Cardinals had four games kick off at 10 a.m. Arizona time (although to be fair, one was a London game that was 6 p.m. local time after the Cards were there a week), and two more that kicked off at 11 a.m. The rule would have been a big deal if three of those games would have had to have made their kickoffs later. The Cardinals started the first two games of the season last year at 10 a.m. Arizona time, in Detroit and Indianapolis.

This year, the Cards’ away games are the three in-division, and then games at Kansas City, L.A. Chargers, Green Bay, Minnesota and Atlanta. While K.C., Green Bay and Minnesota are in the Central time zone, they would still fall under this situation given that a noon start would be in the early window. The Cards have done that more than once, especially when the Rams were in St. Louis. If the rule passed, at least one of those games would have to be a late kickoff. Whether the proposal will pass or not is another thing entirely.

Tags: , , , ,

48 Responses to “Fewer early kickoffs for Cardinals in the East?”

1. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

I like the rule, but the Seattle Seahawks didn’t need it to reach two recent Super Bowls nor did the Broncos (or those 49ers teams back in the day of Joe Montana). The best teams have the talent and planning in place to overcome this inconvenience. The Cardinals clearly do not. I’m guessing there will be no more week-long stays in London (or anywhere else) for the team after they were shut out in their game there last year.

2. By creditcard on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

Long over due. The NFL tries via the draft and monetary limits strives to have parity. Parity also builds excitement for ALL teams in the NFL. Parity is what makes the NFL the top fan-based / supported sport.

3. By Dan Nicholson on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

Good deal for the Cards and other western teams. Pretty obvious it makes a difference according to most teams records going east. Saw where the Cards have 12.6 under the cap left. About 6.6 is for draft picks, 2.5 for unstated players (practice squad), and 1.5 for injured reserve payoffs. Heard earlier today Cards could have 98 million under the cap to start in 2019. Going to need it for Johnson. Golden, Buccannon? And others. Not much left depending on Veldeheer release/restructure possibility. Nice if Tramon E.J. Gaines or Matthews at wr could be had.

4. By Steve Person on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

The previous allowing of multiple of these starts effect teams that are trying to become competitive. When you are a good team schedule makers are trying to schedule your game to be in the later start time as more prime time viewers: To your point.

2013 Seahawks win Superbowl 5 Games Rule effected.

2014 The Year the Seahawks lost the Superbowl 2 before 1PM Game times went 1-1 = Rule Doesn’t Apply

2015 Denver Superbowl only 2 starts would not effected.

5. By D on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

Please never bring up that London fiasco again.

6. By Kurt on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

Darren

What is the latest information on Jared Veldheer moving forward?

7. By Darren Urban on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

Kurt —

RE: Veldheer

On the roster. We’ll see what role he has.

8. By Dr. G. on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

Well, the geniuses are at work again to make life easier. Are Fans considered?

Acknowledged – – Sleep is the issue…if you make me play earlier, I may not get my rack time. Shouldn’t this work both ways? If you make me play 3 hours later going West, I won’t be as energetic!

And I dare not mention the sponsors who pick up the gluttonous tab from the prime time broadcast revenues. Will 7PM games now be at 10PM? 3PM games at 6PM? They will have a say in this ill-conceived notion.

Scott might say, “”just sleep on the damn plane.”” World class athletes, OK?

When I was in the Navy as a young man, I could sleep in the potato bin with the diesel engines whailing as the ship rocked. Be well, Cards Fans

9. By joe holst on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

if free agency stopped right now where would the Cardinals be with compensatory picks for 2019- I’m guessing zero

10. By Scott H on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

Ottis –

I’m kinda with you here. I mean, the schedule always matters to a fan of any team, so….there’s that. It’s always a big thing when we’re all starved for football during that long off-season and the schedule come out.

But, yeah, I’m not as interested in who the Cardinals are playing and where and at what time of day as I am in how I think the Cardinals are going to play. At all. Anywhere. Sunday, Monday, or Thursday.

Bottom line, good teams – truly good teams – tend to play well, period. Even the best teams will have that klunker somewhere along the way. But it’s a fluke and you don’t see it repeat itself. Teams just ain’t very good tend to struggle, period, regardless of where and when they play.

Hey, I was at that game out here in Philly last year. And that game would have been ugly no matter what time kickoff was. Time of day had nothing to do with it.

11. By georgiebird on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

If the League is so concerned with West coast teams playing at 11am West Coat or Mountain times.
    Very easy solution.
    Whenever a West Coast team travels to the East- the game must start at 4pm. And do the same for East Cost teams traveling West for late games- schedule those games earlier- too bad for TV ratings.

12. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

Georgie —

RE: “Too bad for TV ratings”

Um, no. TV is what pays the vast majority of the freight.

13. By Jeff A on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

A lot of east coasters consider this to be trivial and that west coast teams are whining about this, but I consider this totally legitimate – and I live on the east coast. The away records of west coast teams playing in eastern time zones vs other time zones and the away records of east coast teams in west coast time zones vs other time zones show a definite pattern. Sure, teams have persevered through it and it’s not a death knell for competition, but it has been a competitive advantage in the favor of east coast teams forever. Glad to hear it’s finally being addressed.

When my HS team had to play a make up game on a saturday afternoon instead of friday it felt really off and the same when I went to college where almost all of our games were 1pm kickoffs. 10am kickoffs would have stunk.

Darren:

Saw Xavier Williams signed with KC. What level of compensation did the Cards tender him at. Always thought he was gonna really develop. Hate to see that potential go.

14. By Jeff A on Mar 20, 2018 | Reply

Darren:

Also, I totally missed the Cards cutting Josh Mauro until I saw he signed with NYG. Was there any official word on why? I didn’t think he was paid that high for a cost cutting move. Was it that he didn’t fit the new system?

15. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

Jeff A —

RE: Mauro

Releasing him saved more than $2M on the cap.

16. By Coach K on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

Darren, Kurt

If they release Veldeer, this will be a signal they are drafting a Tackle
    in round one.

17. By RagingREDBird on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

I know he is not flashy and does not have the name hype of Badger, but X Williams is a loss to KC. Rucker is gone, Mauro let go, Martin gone, Williams gone and Nkemdiche not looking all that great so the D-line is looking like an area a weakness after just two years ago with Campbell was part of the teams strength.

18. By RagingREDBird on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

This might be more clues that the Cards are moving to a 4-3. Golden and Jones are the Cards DE than the Olsen, Gunter, Peters, and Nkemdiche would be good depth at DT.

19. By D on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

A lot of work/time being spent on S. Darnold by top brass today. I am hearing to move up to #2 (NY) in order to draft him, it would cost this year’s #15, 2nd Round pick this year, 3rd Round pick this year, next years #1 &#2 picks.

20. By Big Ken on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

The Browns are looking for a tackle now that Joe Thomas retired. Too bad we couldn’t trade Veldheer for a late round pick. I guess he’s not trade-able because of his contract and injury history. I think the Cardinals draft an O-Lineman but not with the first round pick.

21. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

Darren –

Where do we stand with Alex Boone? Is he expected to be in the mix again this season?

And please tell me you are expecting that Andy Lee will be back at punter this year. I swear, I feel like he and Tramon Williams were he only additions last off-season that truly provided an up-grade! It was very comforting to not have to cringe every time we had to punt. Seeing as we may be punting often, I think it would be wise to keep Lee back there.

22. By Darren Urban on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Boone

I haven’t heard anything, but the market is sorting itself out right now. As for Lee, he just got a $1M roster bonus so he’s not going anywhere.

23. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks for the clarity on Lee. Shy of the news of Larry staying for another year, that’s the best news I’ve heard in a long time.

24. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

Why do people think that Veldheer has any trade value right now??? I don’t get that. If anyone out there has a need at left tackle, I’m pretty sure they are either waiting to see if Veldheer will be released at some point OR they have other options that are more readily available. I don’t think anyone is giving up anything for Veldheer right now.

25. By patrick on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

I have not been a regular on this blog comments like many others, but I have read it enough to know the blog comments have a very negative tone to it.

And to be honest, I have at times added to the negativity (see Gresham extension), but no more. I still going to challenge things that need to be challenged, but I am not going to dwell or be obsessed with them.

I am going to start to post positive comments and hope others will too.
    Maybe we can drown out the negative comments or covert some of them to positive.

I know some of the negative comments come from long time fans frustrated by the decades of not winning a championship. I get it, but I am a long time fan as well. Granted maybe not as long as some, maybe not as passionate as others, but after three decades of watching the Cardinals snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory, I am still positive.

So I am going to try to post a post comment every day or two in the evening (Can’t during the day) ,and the negatives can say what they want, but it is not going to change me!

26. By patrick on Mar 21, 2018 | Reply

Patrick’s positive comment #1

Cardinals caravan came to Yuma today. There were much more fans than the last three years. Maybe because word got out a Cardinal player was going to be here this year. I asked one of the guys and he told me who it was going to be, I asked some people in line who had no idea who was coming. They were hoping for P2 or Fitz (aren’t we all).. It was Marcus Golden. He was really cool and gracious. I got picture with him and my girls. I asked him “3-4 or 4-3 this year?” He said “both, but either one, we are meeting at the quarterback!” That made me ready for game day (in March)! Two hours of all positive Cardinals fans.

Til tomorrow.

27. By Dan Nicholson on Mar 22, 2018 | Reply

Mercedes Lewis is available as the Jags released him. He stated he would want to play closer to the west coast to be closer to his daughter. He is 33 and was getting 3.7 million. Good blocker and target in pass game. Cards can use a TE….

28. By Dan Nicholson on Mar 22, 2018 | Reply

JTDG
    Looks like Darnold is a possibility with Cards since most of head brass went to his pro day. The coaches and gm’s can ask the QB’S to make specific throws at pro days that fit their offense .Remember when Whiz evaluated Cam Newton he asked him to make a few specific throws and seam pass was a weakness , so let’s hope Darnold checked the important boxes.Any thoughts?

29. By Big Ken on Mar 22, 2018 | Reply

I think if Lamar Jackson is there at the 15th pick he’s got to be the selection. He’s a great football player.

30. By D on Mar 22, 2018 | Reply

My crazy trade idea of the day:

Giants traded away JPP to TB. Everyone believes they will go after the pass rusher in Chubb.
    What if AZ offered the following to move to #2:
    #15 first rounder
    2nd Rounder this year and in 2019
    1-3rd Rounder this year.
    and M. Golden OLB

Golden is what Betcher needs in NY.

This would guarantee AZ could draft J. Allen QB.
    (assuming the Browns will take Darnald at 1 )

Golden will be due a large new deal soon, can AZ pay him and C. Jones????

This would give AZ a franchise QB
    They would need to find another pass rusher in the draft, but I believe J. Allen will be as good as Wentz in the near future.

31. By JCH on Mar 22, 2018 | Reply

Cardinals should trade up and aim for a QB either Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield. I would trade away some of our later round draft picks.

32. By Dan Nicholson on Mar 22, 2018 | Reply

D
    Re: trade scenario
    Would not trade Golden. Very good player, brings energy every play etc. This is not a good draft for pass rushers, best out there is Marcus Davenport of Texas-San Antonio U.

33. By D on Mar 22, 2018 | Reply

Cards have paid C.Jones.
    Cards will soon have to pay D. Johnson.
    Peterson has been and will continue to be paid
    Just asking how would AZ afford M Golden too?
    He isnt a true 4-3 DE. Time could be now to leverage his productivity at a 3/4 OLB that Betcher is seeking to move up in the draft to finally take a franchise QB that all fans have been craving for 17 years.

34. By Big Ken on Mar 22, 2018 | Reply

Looks like Tramon Williams signed with the Packers. He was getting up there in years and the draft is deep with corner backs this year. The Cardinals brought in EJ Gaines a few days ago but it looks like he’s shopping for the best deal.

35. By JTDG on Mar 22, 2018 | Reply

I’ve been gone for spring break and just got back on line. I was looking around and saw this Letter by Conner Williams.

Have you read it? Definitely worth the read.

36. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2018 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: Letter

I have not but I will check it out.

37. By patrick on Mar 22, 2018 | Reply

Patrick’s Positive Comment #2

It has not been too negative in here since the first wave of free agency ended, but I am sure things will pick up as we get closer to the draft.

Here is why I am positive:
    Vegas odds of the Arizona Cardinals winning the NFC Championship game is 40/1 or 2.4% chance they do and 97.6% chance they don’t. (Eagles have best odds at 9/2 or 18.2% chance of winning the NFC Championship game.)

But, the NFC Championship and Super Bowl appearance will not satisfy the long time fans that are passionate about the Cardinals winning the Super Bowl and are frustrated that they think Bidwill and Keim are not creating a Super Bowl winning team.

Vegas has the odds of the Cardinals winning the next Super Bowl at 75/1 or 1.3% chance they do and 98.7% chance they don’t. (Patriots have the best odds at 6/1 or 14.3%)

So when Cardinals fans have negative comments about the team we are building, and writing negative comments of not building a Super Bowl team, they have a 98.7% chance of being correct. The odds are in your favor and you are taking the safe bet.

I am betting against the odds. I am taking the risky bet.
    So when you write about Bradford’s being injured, the O-line and/or D-Line sucking, the lack of depth with the receivers, Keim’s draft or signings, I am going to do my best to provide a contrarian point of view knowing at some point in the year I have a 98.7% chance of being proven wrong.
    If I am wrong and you are right, you win. You can throw it in my face all you want. I can lose what little credibility I have earned with you. You win another year of writing negative comments about how this team will not win the next Super Bowl. ….and you will have a high probability of being correct again.
    Throughout the season you will have to constantly ask yourself when you will put yourself all in and switch to go against the odds…. and when you finally do, you will still have a big possibility of being wrong. You have been there many times and have been burnt each time. And when you finally put yourself all in and they do when the Super Bowl, you would have been on the wrong side of the debate and missed much of the magical season.

But me, I am all in from the start. If this is the team that brings us the magic season. I am lapping every bit of it up. I am taking in all the smoke (Don’t really know what that means but Chad Williams said it in a post game interview.)
    From beginning of the league year, until I officially lose the argument. If I do lose, then we wait for the next league year to begin, and I will take the same bet, (hopefully with better odds.)

Til Tomorrow!

38. By Dan Nicholson on Mar 22, 2018 | Reply

D
    RE: Cap Space for 2019
    I was listening to Mike Jurecki show yesterday and he stated the Cardinals will be approximately 98 million under the cap when new league year starts in 2019. How that is , dead money will be off the books, some contracts are up, league increase. So , yes keep Golden, and they are not totally a 4-3 defense. And he could adjust if that is the case.

39. By Scott H on Mar 23, 2018 | Reply

Well, if Tramon Williams signed elsewhere, then we are right back to that very familiar position of needing a CB2. But, really, would it even feel like the off-season for the Cardinals if we didn’t have a need at CB2?? Hardly. I know I wouldn’t know what to do with myself.

And the need at WR remains. Because I don’t think the guy we claimed off waivers from the Texans (? ) is solving all our problems there.

For a team with as many needs as this team has, this hardly feels like the aggressiveness that we were promised. Again.

I know this is basically the 2nd wave of free agency, but think about it – isn’t it really more like the 3rd wave? Face it, with all the trades that were being made ( everywhere else in the NFL ) free agency started WEEKS before free agency started. THAT was the first wave. So, the first wave of free agency on the calender seemed more like the second. So, really, right now feels more like the third wave.

And it also feels like we’ve lost more pieces than we’ve gained. Again. How is that supposed to be seen as aggressive???

40. By JCH on Mar 23, 2018 | Reply

Darren-
    Do you think that the Arizona Cardinals could sign WR Jordan Matthews? I don’t believe he is under a contract with the Philadelphia Eagles right now. Jordan Matthews would be a great adetion to the team, he is a strong physical wide reciver that I think would bring excellent tallen to the Aizona Cardinals. With a little training frim the Cardinals he could possibly be another Ty Hilton.

41. By Darren Urban on Mar 23, 2018 | Reply

JCH —

RE: Matthews

It’ll come down to how much he’s willing to play for. He’s on the radar.

42. By D on Mar 23, 2018 | Reply

I just don’t understand SK. He loses T. Williams who played great last year at the RCB, a revolving door here in AZ over a $1mil difference. He is about to lose EJ Gaines, a good CB, to the Browns. And yet he still has JVeldheer and Bucannon counting a combined $19mil against the 2018 Cap 3 weeks into free agency. Players talk amongst the league…initial low ball offers to T. Jefferson and the Honeybadger along with these recent free agent questionable moves could give free agent players some doubt coming out to the desert..once again…(unless your a QB)

43. By JohnnyBluenose on Mar 23, 2018 | Reply

JTDG…I had never heard of Conner Williams until I read his story that you posted. Thank you. I will be sure to follow his career.

44. By Scott H on Mar 23, 2018 | Reply

Keep in mind that Jordan Mathews was productive out of the slot in Philly. So….if that is what we are looking for here, that might be great. But we already have a slot WR that I hear is pretty good. His name is Larry Fitzgerald.

The Eagles just signed Mike Wallace…..the Cowboys just signed Allen Hurns…..and those guys wouldn’t have helped the Cardinals?? Ya know, it’s not like these guys aren’t out there….they are. We don’t seem to be.

But we claim off waivers a guy who had ONE catch for 8 yards last year. Wow.

Um….it’s a little early for the bargain basement, Mr Keim, isn’t it???

45. By Dan Nicholson on Mar 23, 2018 | Reply

JTDG
    Good Call putting the Connor Williams story out for us to read. That was very revealing

46. By clssylssy on Mar 24, 2018 | Reply

Scott, Mitchez, JTDG, fellow long suffering fans…
    Wow, this team is becoming unrecognizable! I see Veldeer has now been dealt to the Broncos for a sixth rounder and we are $2M ahead cap-wise but with dead money? And, while I know there are those who consider this a brilliant move, I have to wonder, why didn’t we do it sooner when we possibly could have used it to save some of our best guys who Keim low balled and let walk? And, while he may have not been in the Cards as a starter, does anybody in this organization ever have any foresight and consider who the next wave will be when the injury bug hits or who the Veterans will be to keep the youngsters focused and help them learn the playbook? LOL, I have a lot more confidence in John Elway’s abilities both football IQ wise and as a GM than I do Steve Keim and apparently he saw some value in Veldeer, so I have to wonder just how much effort has gone into planning or even trying to negotiate to keep some of these guys?
    Again, our FO seems lazy and without vision for the future. This team can’t get any traction moving forward as there doesn’t seem to be a plan with a budget and it’s a “fly by the seat of your pants” and” sell off the furniture to keep the lights turned on” type of a mentality. For every player we lose, Keim signs a “bargain” player nobody has ever heard of who carries the disclaimer, “when healthy and able to play…” We need healthy, physical players with some name recognition as play makers and a veteran presence to help the rookies and young guys learn how to be quality professionals and keep a focus during the transition process.
    I read an article a few days ago, in which Tyrann Mathieu said that had they signed Cousins or Foles, he would have been willing to work with the organization in restructuring his contract but instead they signed Bradford and he did what was best for his career (the Texans got an A+ ranking for FA and are ranked in the top 16 in Power ranking by NFL.com). As has been pointed out, players talk and the worst kind of PR a company can get is a negative testimonial. People want to work for companies who treat their employees well and the Cards are rapidly negating the minimal forward progress we were beginning to achieve after so many years of obscurity and irrelevance. Perhaps some of our players have used this opportunity to bail from a sinking ship to salvage their career because they’ve seen up close what goes on behind closed doors within this organization.
    I can’t help but hoping that Fitz returns from his vaca and decides to retire. He deserves better than this hot mess and I’m sure it’s not what he envisioned when the FO was making promises.

2. Mar 21, 2018: Bird Droppings: Ex-Cardinals in free agency, contract numbers for free agents, wide receiver options and more | VegasPicks.com
  3. Mar 23, 2018: Cardinals Blogs | Pass interference, and how painful it should be