When Patrick Peterson “met” Sam Bradford

Posted by Darren Urban on April 6, 2018 – 9:10 am

Patrick Peterson chuckled. He hasn’t had a chance to catch up with new teammate Sam Bradford about the last time the two met on a football field, but it was memorable. Perhaps you remember — in a Cardinals’ 30-24 loss in Minnesota in November of 2016, the Vikings ran a play with a direct snap to running back Matt Asiata. Bradford, the Vikings’ quarterback, slid out wide as a receiver on the play. And when the ball was snapped, Peterson ran up and shoved him to the ground.

Peterson still doesn’t know why it was a 15-yard roughing penalty when Bradford was split wide. But it caused an uproar. Bradford shrugged it off after the game — “If we get 15 yards, I’ll take it every time,” he said — but all the Vikings linemen were ticked off. “I’m not happy about that,” then-Vikings guard Alex Boone said at the time. “We’ll talk about it later. He knows what he did, and he knows what he’s got coming to him.”

Yes, that’s the Alex Boone that was Peterson’s teammate last season. And while Peterson hasn’t talked to Bradford about it, he has talked to Boone.

“He was like, ‘I almost decked you because you laid out my freaking quarterback,’ ” Peterson recalled. “I was like, ‘He was a receiver. I didn’t know he was a quarterback at the time.’ I remember on that play, because they ran that play previously, and I did nothing to him. Coach (Bruce Arians) was like, ‘Next time they run that play, take him out.’ So I did. I was just following the instruction of my head coach.”

Peterson laughed at the memory. “Next thing you know, I got a flag. I am happy I did not get a fine. It hurt us because I think they scored that same drive (they did, aided by another personal foul on Tony Jefferson), but I think B.A. took that penalty for me.”

To be fair, the Cardinals — and Arians — had a point. The previous time the Vikings ran the play, Bradford curled back a bit, took a backward throw from the running back and threw deep downfield, earning a pass interference call inside the 5-yard line and a big reason for Peterson to want to take Bradford out of the play the next time.

We’ll see if Peterson and Bradford have a discussion about personal fouls past. And who knows? Boone, a free agent, could ostensibly still return to the Cardinals, and all three would have the chance to reminisce.

Tags: , , ,

50 Responses to “When Patrick Peterson “met” Sam Bradford”

1. By Cards Fan on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

Did the league’s referees HQ ever confirm this was a penalty (by the books), or determine this should not have been a penalty?

He’s not defenseless on this play.

2. By Bartman72 on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

Cool article and video. Maybe they can settle the matter with a competition like Patrick had with Drew Stanton and Carson Palmer, where the loser had to wear some outlandish outfit.

3. By JTDG on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

Should have never been a flag.

And let’s be frank, Peterson is not known to light players up. Many on this board has called him soft against the run.

The reason Bradford went flying is because he was in full retreat mode. Curling up and back pedaling. Bradford is 6’4″ and 225 pounds and Peterson is 6’1″ and 203, yet Bradford looks like it is the first time he is on a football field.

Square up Sam and deliver the hit to the much smaller man.

4. By JTDG on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

Here is a quote from Pat P;

“If we’re able to get a true No. 2 cornerback that has solidified himself in this league, I think quarterbacks won’t have an option anymore,” Peterson said. “He has to go with his gut feeling, or he has to go with his first read. He has to second-guess himself on both sides of the field now. I believe if we can get us another corner that can stand up, make plays, build a name for himself, I think that would present more opportunities for me.”

He knows it, I know it, You know it to be true. Yet, year after year, the cards are unwilling or unable to do it.

5. By Dr. G. on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

Did Arians indeed offer such advice guaranteed to produce a penalty? Did Arians verify this? hmmmm…someone to do his dirty work.

If that was Marshawn Lynch or a TE…? …didn’t think so…he declines. Sorry coach, I slipped.

C’mon Camp Time…!

6. By JCH on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

Awwww Peterson and Bradford play so nice 😀 HAHA! That is so cute its like love at first sight with Peterson and Bradford HAHA!
    I remember that play when it happend live and I was to mad to be honest when they threw the flag on Peterson, I was like STUPID REF ITS 5 YARD CONTACT since he is a Wide out! LET THE BOYS PLAY FOOTBALL HAHA!

7. By creditcard on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

Bradford certainly doesn’t look too athletic in that video.

8. By Coach K on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

Is it possible the Cardinals could trade up to pick #9 or #10 and grab Mayfield before the Dolphins are on the clock?

I keep thinking back a year ago when Kansas City did it to us and took Mahomes.

Darren, do you think moving up 5 or 6 spots is too costly for Keim? Or, could he do it without giving up too much?

I have a feeling it’s possible Mayfield could fall if Jets and Bronco’s pass on him.

9. By Darren Urban on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: Trades

Is it possible the Cards could move off 15? Sure. Do I think Mayfield will drop far? No.

10. By creditcard on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

Off the subject:

College QBs who are similar to existing NFL QB’s:

Mayfield = Manziel

Rosen = Lienart

Rudolph = Matt Moore

Darnold = Cutler

Jackson = Robert Griffin III

Allen = Carson Wentz

Cards s/b seriously looking at the the kid from Richmond, Lauletta, in the 3rd round. Lauletta could over time develop into a Matt Ryan type.

I sure hope the Cards trade down for the 15th pick, and obtain a few more selections. Kiem needs to nail this draft — previous drafts are haunting the Cards right now.

11. By MdCards4Life on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

Once again the league finding more ways to protect QB’s even when they are slotted at WR. the video is funny and had me laughing but on a real note PP21 did not do anything wrong.

12. By MdCards4Life on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

I hope we do not trade up but to trade down few spots down or so and still get a LB for our new 4-3 scheme and add an extra 3rd round and address QB by in 2nd around with Kyle Lauletta, who may not have a strong arm strength but does have the accuracy, quick release, touch & mobile enough to extend the play. we have drafted Strong Arm QB like John Skelton and he had no accuracy or touch on his throws.

13. By patrick on Apr 6, 2018 | Reply

JTDG and other members of the Cardinals Love, Hate, Love Blogger Therapy Members.

I don’t understand when a bunch of Cardinals fans come on the official Cardinals website and spew negativity about the Cardinals. Makes no sense. Frustration is one thing, but hating on the team you like is another.

Love Haters will have more credibility when they mix positive comments with the negative. The old saying positive, negative, positive.

I agree with JTDG, you can find positive or negative in anything. Several times it is negative comment that feeds other negative comments and it turns into a therapy session where you all find comfort that you have others that feel the same way.

Some of the members of the therapy club frustrations have legitimate points, but most of it is negative no matter what happens.

Championships are built in the off season, March, April, May, June, July.
    It is April 6th, the team is not built yet, but honestly many love haters have been negative since day 1 of the league year. They have given up on the season before it began. Lining up your excuses. Chances are you will be proven right,
    but you are still on the wrong side of the argument.

Make all the excuses you want to hate on the Cardinals, season ticket holder, life time fan, whatever, but somewhere you became jaded.

Unless they win a championship then it is all love?!

14. By Dan Nicholson on Apr 7, 2018 | Reply

Geez, can’t we all just get along. Maybe some of us take it too personal. I may agree or disagree with comments, I may even comment incorrectly, but if someone comments back to me to correct it or offer their opinion it’s all good. We have a lot of competitive spirit on this site that want a winner. I like all of you and the knowledge for football you have. Someone once said ,don’t look back too far because someone is gaining on you. I think that’s the issue here. May this be a good draft for the Big Red!

15. By Lifetime Fan on Apr 7, 2018 | Reply

Hey Pat,
    I agree negativity is silly especially in April football. What makes football great is the fact that literally any year any team could come together and light it up. This team could too! Look across the board: Bradford – pretty high ceiling high risk QB, Cards Def – Super high ceiling, Cards run game – Super high ceiling. Let’s see it happen!

16. By Don Short on Apr 7, 2018 | Reply

And because he got a penalty on that play, PP hasn’t tackled anyone since.

17. By RagingREDBird on Apr 7, 2018 | Reply

All the hate and negativity is really based on one player. Sam Bradford. The D should still be great, special teams can only get better especially bring back Logan from IR, the O-line will only improve with a stronger run game, being healthy, and a strong O-line coach, WR and TE positions still have Fitz, JJ’s speed and the hope that Seal-Jones might be special plus that the Cards 3rd round pick and at some point Gresham will comeback and they might get something out of him and the big one David is back.

If Bradford can stay upright he can spin the ball. Suddenly the national news is talking about that great D that plays with like 4 or 5 1st round picks on that side of the ball. Offensive weapons like Fitz and David. AND a healthy Sam Bradford.

If Bradford goes down again what are the chances he ever gets another big contract. He needs to stay healthy cause 4 or 5 more years in the league and he could make another 100 million or he could have another knee injury and NO team will every trust to put big money into that knee again. In my opinion he is on his last leg. He has a ton of reason to find a way onto the field and that gives the Cards a chance to have a great team next year.

18. By John S. on Apr 7, 2018 | Reply

I don’t see the Cards moving up in the order this year in round one. Draft a quality CB instead that can “start” opposite Peterson up-front at #15, and that actually hangs around for some years; worry about a QB in later rounds along the lines of Falk, Rudolph, Lauletta, etc., that hopefully will be within reach. A nice WR that could start sure wouldn’t hurt either as another option. Then grab Foles in FA next year with the cap space we’ll have then… something like that, ha! At this point, I can’t see much happening in improving the QB situation until next year anyway myself.

19. By D on Apr 7, 2018 | Reply

I participated in a 4 round mock draft recently as the Cards rep, many won’t like my selections but given how a draft may play out, and as the Stones said, “You can’t always get what you want” you do the best for the team matching best player available that includes needs.

No trades possible

Round 1 #15 AZ
    L. Vanderbilt Esch MLB
    Top 5 QBs we’re gone. He could be our version of Kuechly for the D
    (Bynes contract doesn’t scream 16 game starter. But he is good in Sub packages and Spec teams)

Round 2 AZ
    W. Hernandez LG.
    Iupati replacement in one year or less. I took him over B. Price at Center. The kid is a mauler in the run game.

Round 3 AZ
    K. Lauretta QB. Richmond
    Az likes his potential. He is accurate.

Round 3 AZ
    M. Gallup WR. Colo State
    Sleeper.

Round 4 AZ
    D. Harris CB. ILL State.
    Decent size good against run.

20. By patrick on Apr 7, 2018 | Reply

For the Love/Hater Cardinals Fans:
    Today’s therapy discussion.

You all may have invested a lot: Lifetime fan, financially, season ticket holder, whatever. Two concepts Sunk Cost and Sunk Cost Trap.

A sunk cost is a cost that an entity has incurred, and which it can no longer recover by any means. Sunk costs should not be considered when making the decision to continue investing in an ongoing project, since these costs cannot be recovered.

Sunk Cost Trap’ The tendency of people to irrationally follow through on an activity that is not meeting their expectations because of the time and/or money they have already spent on it.

Bottom line: Some of you are in the Sunk Cost Trap. The only thing that matters is whether you believe in the ownership, management, coaches, players going forward. If you don’t, everything in the past is irrelevant and you should quit investing in a future you don’t believe in.

But you won’t, you are in too deep, can’t make rationale decisions so you come on to the sight and hate on the team you love.

I am still investing in the Ownership, Management, Coaches, and Players.
    I believe it will pay off!

Go Cardinals

21. By Tyman on Apr 7, 2018 | Reply

the Vikings did a flee flicker earlyer that game as well, so it was a smart play to press Bradford in that game and one of the worst calls i’ve ever seen. Didnt they run the wildcat a play after that and bradford went to the ground off the snap. lol.

good article. Was the first thing i thought of when we singed Sam. It will be interesting to see if he can make it through a full season. I would not bet on it. Hopfully Boone resigns, he was a beast last year when he was on the field.

22. By Coach K on Apr 7, 2018 | Reply

My ideal draft with a move up, and giving only picks next year.

1. Baker Mayfield, QB (Trade up with Oakland)
    2. Christian Kirk, WR
    3. Mark Andrews, TE
    3. P.J. Hall, DT
    4. Parry Nickerson, CB
    5. Tre Quan Smith, WR
    6. Duke Dawson, CB
    7. Will Clapp, C

23. By Dan Nicholson on Apr 7, 2018 | Reply

D
    Re: Mock Draft
    Yeah , with no trades you stay where you are . Not too bad, especially Hernandez at Guard. I have seen tape of Gallup and he’s got separation speed and catches the ball.If Edmunds ,the LB, is not gone he is the safer pick. Good picking I thought…

24. By patrick on Apr 7, 2018 | Reply

With some talk about Golden and Jones making a transition from going from standing up to a hand in the dirt, it reminds me of Stewart Bradley.

Remember Stewart Bradley, 5 years $25 million.

He struggled as an inside linebacker making the transition from 4-3 linebacker to 3-4.

Darren captured it here:

Hopefully the Cardinals inside linebackers will not experience the same transition issues.

25. By Steve on Apr 8, 2018 | Reply

Darren: I noticed that the Cards will be meeting with Boise St LB Leighton Vander esch. Since Steve Wilks mentioned that both Chandler Jones and Markus Golden will be playing more with their hand in the dirt, could we see possibly 2 new LBs take over at ILB and OLB for Buchanon,and Golden while Buck moves to WLB?

26. By Darren Urban on Apr 8, 2018 | Reply

Steve —

RE: LBs

We will see how it plays out, but this season, they are going to have a spot for Reddick. Clearly, Golden will be a DE at least to start, so who will played Sam, Mike and Will is TBD. Could I see Buc at Will? Sure.

27. By JCH on Apr 8, 2018 | Reply

The Cardinals should try and sign Antonio Gates for a low price since it looks like no one wants to sign him. Not to mention we have Mike McCoy which coached Gates for a good bit of the time when he coached there. Just give him a 1 year contract for a low price I say and who knows this could be his last season why not end it with the Cardinals?

28. By JCH on Apr 8, 2018 | Reply

Cardinals should try a low ball offer for Eric Reid also.

29. By Big Ken on Apr 8, 2018 | Reply

@ Coach K , If we trade up with Oakland then what are we giving up. I like your mock.

30. By Dr. G. on Apr 8, 2018 | Reply

Patrick ~ Scott ~ jtdg ~ D CoachK ~ CreditCard ~ et, al…

Paraphrasing parodies~ If Ifs smelled like butts, or candy and nuts…something like that. And if cows s— butter, we wouldn’t have to churn it…?

Just lovin’ some of the banter here with so much done with detail of Fantasy guys…beats the hell out of the unworthy fake news political BS in the news!

That’s why we all love sports, esp NFL Football…it keeps the brain synapses firing without having fatalistic effects on our personal lives.

C’mon Cards Camp! 👍 🏈 It’s cool inside ((we gotta DJ2K total and Fitz1100/7 in 2018))

What is life without humor and imagination?

31. By Scott H on Apr 8, 2018 | Reply

Man, ya gotta love the fight that Bradford put up on this play. Heart of a lion.

He should have just hit the ground and went into the fetal position and saved PP the time and trouble.

32. By JTDG on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

Patrick,

Bradley;

That seems like a very negative comment. Why are you questioning whether Golden can transition to a 4-3 DE before he even takes the field?

Why speculate? Let him take the field first and then we will see.

Such negativity must stop.

33. By JTDG on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

Steve ;

Leighton Vander Esch would be a great choice if drafted. Although their are bigger needs, he is a very very good player.

Some have him compared to Urlacker and some to Dansby. He could play every LB spot imo.

If at 15, they took him and put him at Mike, he would give Wilks his version of Kueckly for the AZ cards.

As for Buc and Reddick, I think Buc is considered a Will because of his size, but I think he is hard nosed enough to play Sam. Then you could use the speed of Reddick as the Will. Although, It will probably be the other way around.

34. By JTDG on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

D,

I would be Ok with that draft.

Love Vander Esch. The guy can take the defense to the next level and start day one. We are on the same page. Funny, I wrote above about him being our Kueckly before reading your comments.

I think he can have a similar impact as Urlacker did. Georgiebird wants big physical LBs who can run. Here he is.

I like Tre’maine Edmunds a tad more, but he isn’t making it out of the top 10.

Hernandez is an Iupati clone and could take over in 2019. It would not be a bad pick. But I would rather get a CB in round 2.

Could an Isaiah Oliver be there at our 2nd round pick? Long Cb that fits what Wilks has had in years past.

Love Michael Gallup. Been praising him for some time now. Solid #2 receiver.

I like Mike White at QB much better than Lauretta. I think White, in a system like ours (or what I think we will do) could have a shot.

As for CBs’
    CB Holton Hill intrigues me. He has first round talent but has had drug issues. A 3rd or 4th round flyer could turn into a huge payoff, or it cost you a second or third day pick. That second 3rd rounder might be the spot if interviews went well.

My biggest sleeper of the draft is D’Montre Wade from little Murray St. This guy could grow into a big time CB. Could he be one of those late round CBs like Josh Norman or Richard Sherman?

Of course, to me, as I have been saying for months now, everything is mute if you have a shot at Sam Darnald or Josh Allen.

35. By JTDG on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

Coach K,

As you know, I am not a Baker Mayfield fan, so this would not be a good draft for me.

Although;

I do love Christian Kirk. If he is there in round 2, punt returner and slot receiver is filled for the next 4 years.

Parry Nickerson is a quality slot CB. He is small, maybe too small for the outside, but could handle the quick Golden Tate type slot receivers.

I can’t see Duke Dawson getting out of the 3rd round, and that may be the same for Trequan Smith, although he might get to that 4th round. Both would be excellent picks, but just can’t believe either will be there at pick 5 and 6.

36. By JTDG on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

I think, with mock drafts, you have to go off someone elses mock draft to not have bias.

Charley Casserly is along time GM with the Redskins and Texans (maybe others) and here is his mock draft.

Now going off of this, he has at 15 Calvin Ridley going to the cards. That would be a very good pick. Hard to argue with that, if the draft played out like this.

But for me, I think it would be really hard to pass on Derwin James in this draft. James and Baker would be like Cam Chancellor and Earl Thomas. Both are great in the locker room and leaders on the field. James can take TEs right out of a game and light up people in the run game. Baker could use his smarts to be a player on the ball.

I then trade round 2 and our 2nd round 3 to move up and land Letghton Vander Esch as many believe several teams at the bottom of round 1 will trade out.

Vander Esch is a big physical fast LB who can cover and play the run. He could be a terror in passing lanes or in those “a” gap blitzes.

Then coming back around in round 3, I am thinking CB. Tough to know who will be left at that point.

It would mean no first round QB, but the defense would be the type that can win like the Ravens of old.

37. By NJAzCardsFan on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

Darren-
    Do you see coming back…???
    Rucker?
    AP?
    Golden?

DRC signed for a CB position?
    Thanks!

38. By Darren Urban on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Signings

We will see. Frostee might still return, I’d think. I don’t see why Peterson would come back now; if they wanted to keep him, I’m guessing they would’ve tried to work out a new contract before the cut him.

Free agency is taking a backseat to the draft right now.

39. By Ben on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

Hey D-Urb,

Any videos from workouts last week? Site seems bare since we got things moving, was hoping for some updates. Season started right 🙂

40. By Darren Urban on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

Ben —

RE: Videos

There aren’t going to be a lot of “highlight” videos when all they are doing is lifting. New Flight Plan comes out Wednesday.

41. By Scott H on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

JTDG –

Apparently, it’s only negativity when it comes from you or myself or certain others. But those who have proclaimed themselves the crusaders against negativity are able to question and comment as they please. Interesting, huh?

Ya know, at my job, I don’t expect my boss the just accept the work I do and give me nothing but positive feedback. I expect him / her to be critical, to question, and direct me as needed when it appears I may not be getting where I need to be on my own. And there is nothing wrong with that.

But these people who are so into this let’s-just-be-positive-no-matter-what thing…..I’m glad I’m not THEIR boss. One bit of constructive criticism and it probably turns into a therapy session. Or a lawsuit.

42. By Dan Nicholson on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

JTDG
    RE: DERWIN JAMES
    The Cardinals would take him @ # 15.. His overall draft grade is definitely higher than Ridleys. Talking about a guy that will make All Pro, pro bowls. etc. I read a story on him during college season and was blown away. He has the pretty much complete tool box. I agree 100 % ,good post.

43. By Dan Nicholson on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

Any other year James would be a top 5 pick, I really never thought the cards could nab him, guess you never know….

44. By Joe C. on Apr 9, 2018 | Reply

Scott, there is a difference between a bit of constructive criticism and incessant complaining. You and others post as much as you want. You are free to express yourselves. These blogs are intended for some give and take. I think the Gresham contract is idiotic. Not that i wouldn’t mind having him on the roster, but if his money could have landed any one of the FA’s JTDG has advocated for it would have been much better.

45. By Scott H on Apr 10, 2018 | Reply

Joe C. –

I get that and I get that I probably go a bit overboard with the criticisms and / or the complaining.

Look, the difference between criticism and complaining is all in the ear of the beholder. No, I don’t feel like I’m complaining. Do I get that it is going to sound like complaining to others? Yes.

BUT let’s not forget one other thing here, and that is what we are – FANS. And what is FAN short for? Fanatic. That implies passion. And passion does not always lend itself to “a bit of constructive criticism.” Call me what you will but never let it be said I am not true to the nature of what a fan is.

Being a fan goes to the very nature of being human. We’re all different. My way may not be your way, your way may not be my way. There needs to be room for everybody’s way.

46. By Joe C. on Apr 10, 2018 | Reply

Scott H, I still want to share a beer with you after the super bowl!

47. By Scott H on Apr 11, 2018 | Reply

Joe C.

Now, THAT’S an attitude I can embrace! Stay with that!

Done. I’m there. First round is on me, bro!

2. Apr 7, 2018: Bird Droppings: Arizona Cardinals bonding, Markus Golden rehabbing and David Johnson smarter | VegasPicks.com
  3. Apr 8, 2018: Sunday morning one-liners | High Velocity Sport