Bradford gets started, limited as expected

Posted by Darren Urban on April 17, 2018 – 5:16 pm

Steve Wilks said last week that there was “no rush” to get quarterback Sam Bradford on the field full-time, and that he would be limited in the first minicamp. And Tuesday, as the Cardinals got on the field for the first time, Bradford was indeed limited, and Wilks said afterward that wasn’t going to change.

“We will continue to do the same with Sam,” Wilks said, noting that Bradford did do “some things” with the first unit.

“He’s limited right now, so when we get a chance to work together, from what I’ve seen, which is on tape or standing across the field watching when he was playing for the Rams, he’s a pinpoint passer,” wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald said. “He’s extremely accurate, he can make all the throws than anybody would ever ask.

“Moreso me, I just need to learn (about) him, gain his trust by showing him every day I’m capable of making the plays he needs me to make.”

Wilks wasn’t going to get more expansive about Bradford, but it wasn’t limited to the quarterback’s status either. When asked about rehabbing players like tackle D.J. Humphries and defensive end Markus Golden, Wilks declined to talk much about what point they are at with their injuries.

“I don’t really try to put timetables on things,” Wilks said. “I don’t try to create promises. We just want to have results.”

Tags: , , , ,

50 Responses to “Bradford gets started, limited as expected”

1. By creditcard on Apr 17, 2018 | Reply

Love it!

Beliefs and Results. Wilks is a diamond. I sure hope the Fans, GM, and Ownership can wade through (what seems to be) a lean year facing the Cards. Have the faith that this guy, Wilks,will correct the ship and get good beliefs and results on the field.

Have patience fans … I think Wilks will be a good one

2. By Steve on Apr 17, 2018 | Reply

Darren: Do you know if Sam is simply dealing with an arthritic left knee? He did pass his physical with the Cards so that’s good but Vikings HC Mike Zimmer said he had a “degenerative condition” which would seem to indicate an arthritic condition.

3. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Bradford

He has not been that specific. As for the “degenerative,” he was asked about it. This is what he said:

On if Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer was accurate in calling Bradford’s knee “degenerative:”
    “I’m not even sure what that means, to be honest. Look, obviously, there’s some wear and tear on my knee. I’ve been through a lot with it, but all I can tell you is how I feel right now and really where it’s gone since I had the procedure in November. It’s done nothing but get better, and I feel good at the moment. And that’s really all I can tell you about it right now.”

4. By Coach K on Apr 17, 2018 | Reply

Can’t wait to see Bradford with some weapons around him.

5. By Dan Nicholson on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Expect disappointment and you will have none. Funny thing about sports is expectations (high) ones are a root for failure. Saw Auggie Garrido talk about it at baseball coaches convention one year. Great coach. So ,maybe the less we expect of Cards this coming season we fans get a different result. Can Big Red surprise…….

6. By Amir on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Wilks just needs a better GM… the way things are going personnel wise, he is being setup for massive failure.

Raise hands if you believe SK is going to nail this draft… We have five years of really poor drafting. Several of the last five years draftees are not even on the team anymore. This is how you create major holes in your roster that SK keeps patching up with one year “prove it” deals.

We have already seen the “aggressive” free agencies.

And not drafting QBs, especially last 2-3 years, when everyone knew Palmer could be done any year, alone should be a reason to fire him and not give out a 5-year extension.

7. By Scott H on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Larry always says the right things. Love him for that. But Larry Fitzgerald shouldn’t have to earn the trust of any QB walking the planet right now. If the ball is put in any reasonable proximity to Larry Fitzgerald, it shall be his. That is well established.

Bradford should feel honored – and lucky – to be playing with the best WR he has ever had at his disposal. And I would imagine he does.

8. By Jahstone on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Also nice that we joined the other 31 NFL teams in “team stretching”. Hopefully we can cut down on the number of pre-season hamstring injuries. Loved BA as a coach, but this was one of his minor flaws.

9. By JTDG on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

A couple days ago, I went over the History of the AZ cards draft picks of QBs. Today, I am taking a look at OL. Most would agree that the cards will look in the draft (or should) at QB, OL, CB, WR.

The cards came to the valley in 1988.

In 1989, the cards took 17th over all in the first round Joe Wolf, then followed up with Mike Zandofsky in round 3. Wolf only started 45 games in 9 years and never more than 6 in a year for the first 7. Zandofsky was released after one year.

The cards in 1992 drafted Center Ed Cunningham in round 3 and Jeff Christy in round 4. Cunningham started 47 games in 5 years, with really only two years playing a full season. Jeff Christy, also a center was released in favor of Cunningham. Christy went on to start 139 games for the vikings and Buc.

In 1993, the cards came back and drafted in round 1, Earnest Dye and round 2 Ben Coleman. Dye started 16 games in 1994 but only 7 games the rest of his career. Coleman only started 13 games for the cards and was released. He wnt on to start over 95 games for the Jags.

In 1994, the cards drafted Rich Braham in round 3 and Anthony Redmon in round 5. Braham was released by the cards after one year and was a long time starter for the Bengals. Redmon started 46 games for the cards.

In 1995, the cards drafted Lance Scott who was released after 1 year.

In 1996, the cards drafted Aaron Graham, who started 40 games in 6 years. and James Dexter, who started 33 games in 5 years.

In 1997, the cards drafted Chris Dishman in round 4. Dishman was a starter 59 games in 8 seasons as he could not stay healthy.

In 1998, the cards drafted RT Anthony Clement round 2. He became the starter at RT till 2007, missing games in 3 years due to injury.

In 1999, the added the LT in LJ Shelton in round 1 who started there till 2008, missing some games due to injury.

With LJ Shelton at LT and Clement at RT, the cards come back with the 2nd overall pick in round one, Leonard Davis. Passing on guys like Justin Smith, LaDainian Thomalson, and Richard Seymour. Davis struggled at LT as the moved Shelton inside, until he moved on to the cowboys and became an all pro RG.

In 2003 , the cards find a 6th rounder in Reggie Wells. Wells started 93 games all over the oline.

In 2004 the cards drafted Alex Stephanovich, who started 16 games as a rookie and not much after that. and had misses in Nick Lechky and Elton Brown.

In 2006, the cards took Duece Lutui, who was a solid starter till his weight gain forced him from the league.

In 2007, the cards draft Levi Brown in front of fan favorite Adrian Peterson. Brown started and struggle several years at Tackle till 2013.

Over the next couple years the cards had misses in Herman Johnson, Trevor Canfield, and Nate Potter.

In 2012, the cards drafted Bobby Massie , a solid RT, who started till he was let to walk in FA after a DUI.

The cards don’t draft any OL tlll 2015 in round 1, who has had injuries, and is pegged as the LT in 2018.

In 2016, the cards took Evan Boehm and Cole Toner and in 2017, they took Will Holden. Toner has been released and Boehm and Holden will see how they play out.

With a very strong interior OL draft, we will see if the cards address this spot.

10. By Darren Urban on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

JTDG —

RE: OL

You missed Jonathan Cooper, 7th overall in 2013, and Watford in the fourth round that year.

11. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

“I don’t try to create promises. We just want to have results.” Agree w creditcard.

“Attention to detail”. Saw a few moments of Belichick video on NFL network, talk about attention to detail. That, in every job, key to success. Wilks big on building relationships, straight talk, that a common thread with Belichick and Arians.

Wilks, if he’s a good a coach (Josh Norman says so) has opportunity for long career in AZ. Schtick, sarcasm, bombasticity gets old, especially if a down season or two. Wilks appears to have the winning attributes but few shortcomings. can see why was hired. Well done Bid, Keim.

12. By RagingREDBird on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

This is a PR/sales game for the Cardinals and their new Head coach. So far I am buying

13. By SDCardFan on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Creditcard. Love and agree with your sentiment. However, I don’t believe 2018 will be a ‘lean’ year for the Cards. Truth be known, I have been a Card fan for 33 years, and for most of those years I have almost always believed that the upcoming season would be “The Year”! Of course, I have never been right (very close in ’08/09), but I almost always believe. I do hope that 2018 will be that magically, completely unexpected, super season for the Cards, for Fitz, and all Card fans.

14. By JTDG on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

How could I forget Cooper and Watford?

That was a major blunder on my part

15. By JTDG on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Looking back at the drafts, the cards chose in round one;

Joe Wolf – who struggles to stay healthy

Earnest Dye – who struggled

LJ Shelton- who was a solid starter for several years

Leonard Davis- who became a pro bowler at RG for the cowboys but had an up and down career in AZ.

Levi Brown- who played both LT and RT. Also had a up and down career here.

Jonathan Cooper- who broke his leg and never recovered. Has bounced around since.

Not a lot of success at drafting OL in round one. I think our best drafted lineman over the years, while on the cards, has to be the 6th rounder, Reggie Wells.

16. By faster on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

@jtdg, i seldom comment on others work, and if, mostly sarcastic, but i know how much work is involved in your two posts about qb and ot (thanks also to darren for his input) , and i appreciates it.

17. By D on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

SK won’t reach for a player at #15. It appears by his press conference he most likely won’t spend the multiple draft picks to move up and mortgage the future, which I agree. (hard to find trade partners) No P. Manning in this draft. If SK can’t move down either, we need to focus on the non QB who’s value is worth #15.

J. Jackson CB ?
    C. Ridley WR ?
    B. Price C/G ?
    M. McGlinchey OT ?

Any of these 4 players would quickly upgrade AZ position rooms. I don’t see a MLB worth drafting at #15

18. By Coach K on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

D

I think we can move down 4 or 5 picks and get all four of those guys on your list. I will say that I think Wilks likes Jaire Alexander ahead of Jackson at corner.

I would like to see us trade down with Dallas and get an extra second round pick from Dallas #51. That gives us two #2’s and two #3’s. That will allow us to focus of Defensive line, Quarterback and another receiver.

19. By JTDG on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

#AZCardinals GM Steve Keim, on whether he thinks about the fact he hasn’t drafted a QB in first 3 rounds:
    “Constantly. I think about the things that I’ve done wrong moreso than the things that I have done well.”

Now, that is something fans need to hear. I would much rather hear, “hey I made mistakes in the draft, but I have really thought long and hard about them to not repeat them, than all this ra ra garbage that some people are peddling.

The only way to get better is look at the mistakes you made, admit they are mistakes, find out why you made those mistakes, and don’t repeat them.

Keim has learned, doing nothing with the offensive line the past two years will not lead to success. Whether you agree with his moves or not, at least he learned and decided to change it up.

His quote is encouraging. Let’s hope he learns from the past in the draft.

20. By D on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Coach K

Like SK stated in his press conference, much easier said on trading up or down than doing…I guess if Dallas loves Ridley to replace Dez, then that could happen I don’t like drafting WR’s in Round 1, because 95% of them don’t make an impact as Rookies, most need 2 years to figure out the NFL game.

I would agree that Price could be drafted lower, but Jackson/McGlinchey/Ridley are all rated either 1 or 2 for their positions. They won’t fall too much.

Wilks likes physical CB’s, not the DRC, afraid to tackle kind, the good news is that this draft will have some quality CB’s still in Round 2 and 3. Bottom line, AZ has so many needs/holes that even with 2- #3 round draft picks, they won’t be able to fill all holes, so if possible to trading down to add more picks, I would favor it.

21. By JTDG on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

D,

The draft is deep in OL. I think at 15, I am looking in a different direction.

McGlinchey and Price , I don’t believe, are rated in anyone’s top 15.
    I really like Frank Ragnow at center.and have rated higher than Price. If we trade down in round one, I am targeting him.

Josh Jackson would fit, as he is a perfect CB for a zone defense. I worry that he isn’t physical and I worry about his speed.

But, I think Mike Hughes is better than Jackson and I would take him over Jackson.

Jaire Alexander is another good CB

Calvin Ridley would be a good pick. You definitely need a receiver.

I would hope Derwin James would fall, I don’t think so, but I have seen it on some respected mocks.

If we were running more man, I would consider Isaiah Olivier.

Finally, you can’t rule out them taking a defensive lineman in round one. The Panthers always had big, strong interior DL. a Tavon Bryan or DaRon Payne could surprise.

Personally, since I don’t believe the cards choose a QB in this draft, I am looking at my 3 favorite players to see if one falls; Mincah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, and TreMaine Edmunds. If one falls, that is my pick.

I really think there is a good chance James or Fitzpatrick is there and the cards should jump on them.

If not, I am good with trading down if possible. I doubt you will get a two. Unless it is coming up for a QB, history doesn’t show you get that high in return from say 15 to 26. So, moving down and getting a 3 is more reasonable.

If that was the move, I would be hard pressed not to consider Ragnow in round 1.
    Then trade up in round 2 for Olivier using a 4 and 6. Then in round 3, you can look at that RT in Tyrell Crosby, a Guard like Braiden Smith, and a safety like Terell Edmunds.

22. By Scott H on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Coach K –

RE: Allow us to focus on QB….

Honestly, after the acquisitions of Bradford and Glennon, do you really think they are going QB of the future in this draft?? I would think not. That’s just me, but I think I’d be surprised if they did. I won’t be surprised if they take a QB at some point, but I don’t think it is going to be THE guy.

I think Keim is trying ( as always ) to get lucky with another veteran QB and I’m already on record with the opinion that I don’t think it is going to happen with Bradford because I have no confidence in his ability to make it through a season.

And I have no idea what we are hoping for with Glennon. Absolutely none.

23. By Scott H on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Ya know, I listen to Bradford talking about his knee and how good it feels right now…..and I think to myself – yeah, Captain Obvious, of course your knee feels good RIGHT NOW. Why WOULDN’T your knee feel good RIGHT NOW?? You haven’t played on it since Week 2 of last season! That knee is well-rested and hasn’t been tested. It hasn’t seen any real football action, hasn’t has to scramble to elude a pass rush, hasn’t taken a hit in….what, 7 months? Yeah, I’m sure that with all that rest, it probably feels great.

Yes, I’m sure the knee has been working to rehab and recover. That is not the kind of action his knee is going to see during real game speed and real game action. And real game action is what Sam Bradford’s knee just hasn’t been able to endure.

Spare me. Sorry if people think it sounds harsh, but I’m not interested in how great his knee feels right now. This QB isn’t doing us any good unless this knee of his is holding up in December and allowing him to make this team better.

Let’s see how his knee is then.

Limited as expected? How ’bout limited as usual.

And what of the comments from Zimmer that Sam Bradford’s knee is degenerative? Don’t know about anyone else but how are you not bothered by Zimmer saying that when Sam Bradford is now YOUR QB?? First of all, how does the head coach of the last team he played for not have some basis for saying that?? Wouldn’t he know something about it?? Seems to me he would.

And what would we be expecting Bradford to say in response? Would we expect him to say, yeah, he’s right?? Of course not. We would expect him to say exactly what he said. Total player speak. And, or course, we know that players always tell us the truth about their health, don’t they?

But Bradford’s knee will speak for itself soon. Maybe.

24. By Steve on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

D: l certainly think lLB Leighton Vander Esch is worthy of consideration at pick 15. He makes a lot of plays and goes sideline to sideline.

25. By JTDG on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Steve,

Vander Esch;

I agree. I forgot about him. He is a stud.

26. By georgiebird on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Cards should definitely wait until next year to get their franchise QB. Cards should draft in the top 5 and can wheel and deal from there.

27. By Coach K on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

JTDG

I think you make a very good point about a strong DL in round one. I know Wilks is focused on bigger, long armed athletic D-lineman in his even front defense. I would not be surprised if he and Keim take an impact D-Tackle at 15 if no move for a QB is planned.

Scott

Yes, I know QB is a big priority. But will Keim move up? Or, take a second level QB?

After having Mayfield back again for the second time this week, I think something is brewing with Baker and Keim. I would not be surprised if SK breaks his habits and pulls the trigger on a move up for Baker if he falls below Denver. I don’t think he will, but if he does, I have a strange feeling SK is going to make an aggressive move for Mayfield if he slides past Denver.

Having him back twice this week is a big deal. Also, I hear Baker blew them away at dinner and in the film room breaking down defenses. So don’t be surprised if Mayfield gets past Denver, Keim breaks the mold and makes an aggressive move.

I’m not ruling out a call to Cleveland at pick #4 if Baker is there. After today’s second visit with the Cardinals brass, something may be cooking.

28. By Coach K on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

Walter football just came out with this possible scenario

I absolutely do not think Baker Mayfield will fall to No. 15. In fact, I think it’s very likely that he’ll be the third-overall pick. However, if the Jets opt for Sam Darnold over Mayfield, he could slip a bit. This might give the Cardinals an opportunity to trade with the Colts, Bears or Raiders, as they’ll have to move ahead of the Dolphins

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php#I6okwzS2w4YgqBMf.99

29. By Dan Nicholson on Apr 18, 2018 | Reply

JTDG
    Re : Draft
    You are right on about Mike Hughes ,Central Florida. Not only is he good @ CB, but boy could he be scary as a return man on special teams. Only player to return a punt, kickoff & interception in college football for TD. Jim Thorpe may have in his time?. Thanks for the
    OL information. I still say the Big Red OL in 1970’s best I ever saw.. Allowed 5 sacks in a season, can’t remember year in front of Jim Hart.

30. By Bob Lasure on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

Sam is going to make you eat crow!! Enjoy

31. By CARDS62 on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

I just do not see the Cards trading up for a QB after paying Sam Bradford all of this money plus we will need all of our picks for our many needs.

georgiebird I thought the draft gurus were saying next year is not a good year for drafting QBs so who do you think we could get next year?

JTDG – First QB and then OL . Thanks for your work, but pick another position please as you are depressing me remembering these choices over the years.
    Who was our last offensive lineman we drafted to be named an all pro for the Cardinals? Who was our last drafted offensive lineman to even make a pro bowl team? It is really depressing plus everyone was saying make Leonard Davis out of Texas a guard, but we just would not do it and on to Dallas he went to be a star. Piss poor OL coaching year after year after year.

Coach Wilks I do not know much about, but I watched his press conference plus listen to what former players had to say and I am excited about having Steve W. as our head coach. I think Steve Keim is much better at selecting coaches than he is players.

This is who I would like to see us take if they are available with pick 15 in the draft. A) Lamar Jackson B) Micah FItzpatrick C) Calvin RIdley.

Go Cards!

32. By D on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

I would consider Vander Esch at #15, he could be a good MLB. This draft is deep at Interior OL but not OT. Once the top OT’s come off the board, (McGlinchy & Williams) the remaining OT’s are not starters as Rookies, more projects. The draft is also deep at CB’s.

So, Keim will have to decide, if he goes non QB in Round 1, does he take a OT, WR or if one of those top 3 special LB’s fall, he probably would take one of them.

I reviewed a PPF 7 round mock draft, didn’t agree with all of their AZ’s selections or on if certain players would be still available at #15, but I re-drafted it to where I would like to see based on who they had still available in each round.

Round 1: QB Josh Allen. I don’t believe he will fall to #15, but PPF had him falling to #31 in Round 1. No way SK would not draft him and take another position if he was on the board.

Round 2: Carlton Davis CB-Auburn. Physical CB with good size.
    Round 3: James Daniels C- Iowa. The best pure Center in this draft.
    Round 3: Trequan Smith WR, UCF. A decent size WR with great deep threat.
    Round 4: Jessie Bates III S. Wake Forest. A safety who can cover in the slot
    Round 5: Sam Jones G. ASU. Could replace Iupati in one year.
    Round 6: K. Fitts DE Utah. Depth and Special team player

I would be happy with this for AZ.

33. By Big Ken on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

Coach K
    I think you’re on to something with SK’s interest in Mayfield. I read that on Wednesday’s visit when they brought him in they also hosted Mark Andrews the TE at Oklahoma. ( I wonder what they fed those guys?)

34. By JTDG on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

cards62;

The next need I will cover will be CB. Although there are a lot of misses at this position, they do have a couple picks that will be in the HOF.

Could you imagine having Aeneas Williams and Pat P together? Heck, it would have been nice to have Pat P and DRC together.

Would have loved the cards to pull the trigger last year on a CB (in the year of the CB draft), pairing PP with TreDavious White, Marlon Humphrey, Adore Jackson, Sidney Jones, Quincy Wilson, or Shaquill Griffin.

Could you imagine if that was settled coming into this year?

35. By JTDG on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

D,

That is really interesting. There is no way guys drop like that.

Josh Allen is not getting out of the top 5. 31st? They lost their mind.

The best center in the draft dropping to round 3? possible as Pat Elflien dropped to round 3 last year, but I find it hard to believe James Daniels drops that far, but possible.

The other one I don’t see is Jessie Bates dropping to round 4. This guy has so much value, I would not be surprised if he crept into round 1.

I will say, Carlton Davis in round two would not be a bad pick.

36. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

Did creditcard really get 106 thumbs down? Pretty innocuous post. SMH.

37. By Jch on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

Okay sooo last year I clearly remember wanting the Cardinals to trade up in the draft and sign Watson said this these are my own words from last year.

I say the Cardinals need to Draft a rookie QB as a runner up for Palmer when he is gone! The cardinals don’t need anymore old QB’s that will stay with the cardinals for 3 or 4 years they need a QB who will last 8 or 9 years they need to start up a good team with a awesome QB that they could Draft this year! I say don’t pass up on the opening I say go for a QB first pick they get!!!

ANND I ALSO REMEMBER SAYING THIS!

Watson is a star QB in rising look at Cam Newtown and Russel Wilson and Jamies Winston I would compair Watson to them everyone thought Russel Wilson was gonna be a pooper and look at him now ! Do not pass up on Watson that would be stupid and I know the cardinals are not stupid if they have a QB that can rush he can keep the defense tired then chunk the long ball! Watson may had not have had the best combine but I would give the kid a chance like we did with Tyran Matthieu I’m just saying the cardinals should get Watson!!! And if the Cardinals miss Watson in the draft and a team gets him he becomes a star I gonna laugh all day long and probally say told y’all so!!!

HERE IS THE PROOF OF WHAT I SAID! My name on this web sight was Jacob hewitt back then as you can see in my name now Is Jch also the J stands for Jacob and the H stands for Hewitt!

I hate to say told you so but………. Told you so. Should have traded up and graded Watson

ALWAYS PLAN FOR THE FUTURE! I WOULD HAVE MUCH RATHER THE CARDS TRADED UP AND GOT WATSON RATHER THAN THE CARDS DRAFTING Haason Reddick that really was a bleh pick for the cards.

38. By Jch on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

Darren YOU BETTER POST THIS BEFORE THE SCHEDULE COMES OUT!!!! HAHA
    Okay so ima say the Cards get a Game on Thursday vs either Seahawks or Vikings and a Sunday Night Football vs SeaHawks or Vikings and they may get a Monday night football vs The Rams.

39. By Coach K on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

D

If we got those picks as you list them, I would be doing cartwheels if I’m SK

I agree with JTDG not sure if Allen drops that far, but I love all of your other picks.

Especially both round 3 picks.

40. By JTDG on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

Jch,

Yes, I remember you wanting Watson. Multiple times you thought they should go get him. You may be right on him.

Watson looked amazing but did get hurt, So take this as a warning, RG3 was a rookie star but the injuries caught up with him.

So, let’s pump the breaks on Watson till he shows he can stay healthy.

41. By JCH on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

Gonna pass out. I can only see two Arizona Cardinals games next year due to only one primetime game and one local game.

42. By clssylssy on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

Geez, the schedule is out and we get one Thursday night game and according to the national experts predictions the Cards will go 3-13. Wonder which three games we are suppose to win?
    The upside to that is low expectations and the only place to go is up! Wish I could actually find a silver lining in all that but in all of my twenty-five years as a fan, can’t remember ever being proclaimed the worst team in the NFL in April!

43. By georgiebird on Apr 19, 2018 | Reply

does 5-11 sound familiar?? We used to be on those numbers quite a bit.

44. By Scott H on Apr 20, 2018 | Reply

Jch –

My friend, I acknowledge your forecast for Watson and that you may have indeed been right.

But being right and saying I told you so doesn’t go over well here. It’s perceived as negativity. So be careful.

Maybe if / when our GM starts getting it right in the draft with positions that matter just a little bit like QB and OL, fans can stop saying I told ya so.

45. By Scott H on Apr 20, 2018 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: Can we imagine if that ( CB2 ) were settled coming into this year?

Ah, yes, wouldn’t that be nice? But those words don’t even seem to go together as it relates to this team. Keim can’t get it right with CB2 even when it seems he may have gotten it right – albeit completely by blind luck.

I’m speaking of Tramon Williams. A late-August scrap heap shot in the dark who actually played very well and seemed to stabilize things at CB2 after the Justin Bethel experiment failed. And what happens?

We move on. Instead of keeping a veteran player who we know can help – on the field and off – and who would NOT have cost much, we move on and put ourselves right back in he familiar territory of having a need at CB2 and another cast of question mark characters.

Look, I think the CB they got from Dallas ( whose name I will never be able to spell ) was a decent addition. But as it stands now, we look to be in a position where the best player we have to put out there at CB2 might still be merely the best of a totally mediocre lot, ala Justin Bethel. And we saw how that went.

Yes, the hope is that the player we truly need will arrive in the draft. And maybe that will happen. I’m not saying it won’t.

But I am saying it is ridiculous that – excluding 2014 when Cromartie was here – this organization has not been able to pair PP with a suitable complement since they drafted him. And THAT is becoming part of Steve Keim’s legacy here.

46. By Scott H on Apr 20, 2018 | Reply

CARDS62 –

RE: Piss poor

Can’t argue with you, that is for sure. I spoke of Steve Keim’s legacy earlier and his failures to draft O-lineman are front and center in that area. You couldn’t avoid them if you tried. They are too prominent to miss.

47. By D on Apr 20, 2018 | Reply

When one wants to have an idea on what AZ’s new Defense will be, we must look at where Wilks came from, the Panthers. I like DBuc, but let’s be honest, he is small for a MLB. (because he was a Safety) When you look a Bynes, he is good as a backup or in smaller roles, there is a reason why he has moved around the league. Good player, but teams are always wanting more at LB. The Cards have DBuc and Bynes that can play multiple roles which would be great if one LB is available at #15 in the draft. Some may think it would be too soon to draft him, and maybe SK attempts to move down, but Imagine a LB Corp for AZ as Reddick, Vander Esch and DBuc as the starters with Bynes as the 4th LB. Those 3 starters for AZ sure would look very similar to Shaq Thompson, Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis. (not saying Vander Esch will be Kuechly, but he has the potential to be very good) I am starting to cheer for SK to take this LB in Round 1 if he has no shot at a top QB.

48. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on Apr 20, 2018 | Reply

Darkest before dawn. No way to guess at record, but we have some studs and good coaches. We’ll see.

49. By Joe C. on Apr 20, 2018 | Reply

I see us being no worse then 3-3 in our division. I’d say the floor is six wins and the ceiling is ten. Of course we could go undefeated, but I’d say going 3-13 is as likely as going undefeated. Scott H. archive this and bring it back next January!

50. By Scott H on Apr 20, 2018 | Reply

Joe C. –

Nah, I’ll pass on the “archive this” thing! You can tell me next April what you said this April and your word will be good enough for me.