The picks at 15, and Steve Little

Posted by Darren Urban on April 23, 2018 – 4:51 pm

Every draft is different, but with the Cardinals selecting at 15 overall, it’s a good time to see what players have been chosen in the NFL’s 15th slot over the recent past. The last time the Cardinals picked 15th — and it’s been 40 years — it didn’t go all that well. The then-St. Louis Cardinals actually selected a kicker/punter when they took Steve Little. Little missed 14 of his 27 NFL field-goal attempts and 10 extra-points — the shorter ones — in less than three seasons. (Little was released six games into the 1980 season and was paralyzed in an accident soon after.)

That’s the only time in the modern draft (since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger) that the Cards have picked 15th.

As with most draft spots, the selections have been hit or miss in terms of success, although it does seem to be weighted toward the “hit” side overall. A sampling of the last 15 years:

2017   S Malik Hooker (Colts)
2016   WR Corey Coleman (Browns)
2015   RB Melvin Gordon (Chargers)
2014   LB Ryan Shazier (Steelers)
2013   S Kenny Vaccaro (Saints)
2012   LB Bruce Irvin (Seahawks)
2011   G Mike Pouncey (Dolphins)
2010   DE Jason Pierre-Paul (Giants)
2009   LB Brian Cushing (Texans)
2008   T Branden Albert (Chiefs)
2007   LB Lawrence Timmons (Steelers)
2006   CB Tye Hill (Rams)
2005   LB Derrick Johnson (Chiefs)
2004   WR Michael Clayton (Bucs)
2003   DE Jerome McDougal (Eagles)

The last time the Cardinals picked 47th — their second-round slot this year — it was an unquestioned hit, with an asterisk: LB Daryl Washington.

Tags: , ,

21 Responses to “The picks at 15, and Steve Little”

1. By Dr. G. on Apr 23, 2018 | Reply

Tap this link…

Serious stuff worth a good laugh. Mariucci tries a sniper move on Mason Rudolph. Mariucci is admittedly stunned at this kid’s smarts after a rapid-fire grilling intended to confuse him…it backfired! Mayfield has the 2nd highest AIQ QB intelligence score since 2012. Mariucci looked lika a wise-acre afterward.

If I pasted this link properly, please note how this could be our guy at QB. He is big, instant recall smarts, demos leadership, very coachable, very good tangibles, got better every year in college, character plus, excellent stats, etc….

Please enjoy and I’ll read your commentary…be well Cards Fans

2. By Coach K on Apr 23, 2018 | Reply

26 of the last 47 champion Quarterbacks were taken in round one. However, it’s doesn’t suggest the Cardinals must take a QB in round one. Here’s why:

Tom Brady, 6th round.
    Russell Wilson, 3rd round
    Drew Brees, 2nd round
    Brett Favre, 2nd round
    Ken Stabler, 2nd round
    Joe Montana, 3rd round
    Mark Rypien, 6th round
    Jeff Hostetler, 3rd round
    Kurt Warner, Undrafted.

If we look at the statistics, it tells me a Superbowl winning quarterback can most likely be found in both round one thru three. After round three, the results are not good.

So selecting the best available athlete seems to be the most realistic avenue for Keim to take. Focus on round two or three for our quarterback if nobody falls to us in round one. To trade up into the top four picks is simply too costly and based on the success ratio going back 15 years of the draft, there seems to be significant evidence that championship QB’s can be found in round two and three.

If we do not move up, and nobody falls to us in round one, we need to take the best available athlete in round one and look for our QB in round two and three, but not lower than round three based on past draft results.

3. By Kurt on Apr 23, 2018 | Reply

Let’s not be calling the last time the Cardinals picked 47th was an unquestioned hit.

4. By D on Apr 23, 2018 | Reply

Hilarious listening all day to the local sports people discuss how AZ may trade up to 5. Do they really believe SK is that dumb?- he might as well have John Elway kick his dog, steal his kids lunch money at the same time Elway is demanding a kings ransom of current and future draft picks.

My final draft thought on if SK stays at 15, he most likely couldn’t go wrong at taking one of the following:

1. W. Hernandez LG
    2. B. Price G/C
    3. F. Ragnow C
    4. M. McGlinchey RT.

A powerful improved Oline would allow Bradford to flourish while DJ is tearing up the opposing defenses. Running the ball and playing solid D is the plan going forward.

5. By Canadian Redbird on Apr 23, 2018 | Reply

As a long time Cardinal fan, there is position needs in several areas. Quaterback, Offensive Line, Cornerback, & Wide Receivers will be the focus our our selections.

It would be a huge mistake if Keim made the decision to trade away our #1 pick in the 2019 draft reaching for a quarterback that may or may not have a long term positive impact. He can trade up in any of the rounds and give up multipe choices in Rds 2 and lower but DONT GIVE UP OUR 2019 ROUND 1 PICK. With injuries etc.to key personnel, you never know how your season will unfold; just look at Houston.

I like the Qb’s from Oklahoma State, Richmond or Washington in the 2nd or 3rd round.

6. By lloyd wolf on Apr 24, 2018 | Reply

Dr. G..

That was easy as pie…I had that figured out in a snap before the coach finished drawing the play! But seriously….forget trading up and wasting a pick with all the obvious holes that need to be filled before another clip boarder is drafted. Rudolph is and has been my number 1 choice IF we can nab him in round 2.

Remember every year 4 or 5 guys will stand out at QB. The team is so shallow in the OL DB, WR, LB, DL that these needs must be filled to be competitive.

7. By Chris on Apr 24, 2018 | Reply

I completely agree with Coach K. Every year all the analysts try to predict the guys who will be the next superstar stud quarterback. As Coach K states, the statistics is just not there (for first rounders), sure there are some good QB’s that are drafted in round one, but at a 50% success rate – not worth giving up the farm to do so. This QB class is really deep – I am no scout, analyst, etc… but I am a mathematician, and the statical probability to select your franchise QB in the 2nd and 3rd round are just as good as the first round. I am sure the GM and company are well aware of the numbers. I am sure they will do a good job in this years draft.

8. By joe holst on Apr 24, 2018 | Reply

i am not understanding the Baker Mayfield hype, did anyome pay attention to Rose Bowl half of is throw were so far off it was a joke, he is Johnny Manziel 2 and I would go higher than a 4th rounder on him.

9. By Jo Ball on Apr 24, 2018 | Reply

I think looking at 1st rounder QBs in the past few years is a bad sample. With the locked in rookie contracts, teams now draft guys who should be 2nd and 3rd rounders in round 1, That was one of the reasons why Rodgers fell. Teams that were paying a QB couldn’t afford to pay a first round QB unless they really really needed one.
    Overall histroy suggests that there are usually good to great QBs until the third round. After that, it becomes highly unlikely. But now, even less likey since so many QBs get taken early.
    With that being said, I don’t feel good about any of the hype guys except Darnold. If you can’t get him, draft one the 2nd tier QBs.

10. By Chris G. on Apr 24, 2018 | Reply

Some draft experts that are calling for fireworks from The Cardinals, but they are obviously not aware of the restrictions on fireworks in our state. I expect Steve Keim to do what he has done in the past which is making a move that resembles those little black snakes. I hope to see a nation’s capital type of show on Thursday just to make it more interesting, but I would guess the big stuff will come from unexpected teams jumping ahead of us while we light those lame fountain cones and write our names in the air with some sparklers.

11. By Rowlan on Apr 24, 2018 | Reply

Draft a quarterback—-end of story! I don’t care how good your o line is if Sam drops back to pass and drops to the ground with a non contact injury……Glennon is your man for the rest of the season! I pray we don’t have to give up anything and Lamar stays a Cardinal. If Sam goes down then I will still have hope. We need energy and excitement back at UOP. Jackson will bring it. For the record I posted the same thing this time last year about Watson?

12. By NJAzCardsFan on Apr 24, 2018 | Reply

The Cards/Keim would be better off picking up a top ranked CB or WR in the first round. The two spots that need the most attention…. Use the 2nd round pick for a QB. There will be plenty of good lineman in rounds 3-5….

13. By Coach K on Apr 24, 2018 | Reply

Chris,

The percentages are like this

You have a 60% change of getting a big time QB in round one.

30% chance in round two

10% chance in round three.

So scouting is critical. But if you play the all time percentages, then you
    have to increase your odds by trying to get your QB in round one or two.

14. By Dr. G. on Apr 24, 2018 | Reply

wolf = = My Pointed Opinion…. If Mason Rudolph is there at 15, we should not hesitate to pick him…not to move up. There is a chance he’s there with all the teams above 15 not needing a QB….tons of great prospects in this draft. Be well…

15. By Richard S on Apr 24, 2018 | Reply

I think Little made a very long field goal for U. of Arkansas I believe, like a record kick as I recall, but didn’t pan out in the pros. Got cut and ran into a freeway overpass I think shortly thereafter. Sad all around..

16. By Scott H on Apr 24, 2018 | Reply

Coach K / Chris –

I think the problem is what the world has become with all of these draft experts and Mel Kipers and the mock drafts and all the pre-draft hype that we are bombarded with on a daily basis in the months leading up to the draft.

And I wish it would all go away.

Because when you listen to all that noise, all you hear is these are the QB prospects that matter and they’re all going to be gone by the 10th pick. Period. So, if you want to get one of them, you need to trade up. Period. Forget the 2nd round or the 3rd round or the 6th round.

And by the way, Mel Kiper is almost never right in regard to pre-draft forecasting. Almost never. He’s terrible. Yet, ESPN has him on every year. Pathetic. He also has THE worst hair I’ve ever seen. Maybe even worse than Donald Trump’s. Another reason for him to NOT be on TV. Could any of US be wrong that often and keep OUR jobs???

17. By Hammy on Apr 25, 2018 | Reply

One more day to go! I love this time of year where us fans get all hyped up over finding that next potential star of your favorite team. As a Cards fan I really hope we stay away from all the HYPE surrounding Josh Allen. The more I have watched his tape, the more I find him so overrated. I think a lot of ball clubs look at the strong arm and how Carson Wentz turned into a good QB in just a short time. Josh Allen just doesn’t have that “IT” factor the way a Lamar Jackson has or a Baker Mayfield. If we trade up I only hope its to take one of those two guys. Stay away from Josh Allen!!! Buyer Beware! Even if we trade back an get an extra draft pick, we could take Mason Rudolph. He is a better passer than most quarterbacks in this class and has a great winning percentage, Touchdown to Interception ratio as well. If we dont go quarterback then hopefully we draft for biggest need instead of best player available.

18. By faster on Apr 25, 2018 | Reply

looking at my big board, the nr.15 is lamar jackson. but, my board has three non qbs on the first three places, and because qbs tend to get earlier, i looked at the next three places up and down, and guess what, every single player was one or more times injured. so i took a look at nr 11, tremaine edmunds, healthy and nr, 19, mike mcglinchey, healthy. i expect edmunds not to fall down toi 15, so thats jackson or mcglinchey. and with our luck (asterix included, lol) i chose mike mcglinchey for my first pick. but i hope for a trade until tomorrow.

19. By Rob in Phx on Apr 25, 2018 | Reply

I am not in favor of giving up next year’s 1st round pick (and more) in order to trade up to 5 or 6 for a QB this year. I am in favor of:

1. Giving up a 2nd round pick to move up a few spots to get one of the top 4 QBs
    2. Picking L Jackson or M Rudolph at 15
    3. Moving back a few spots and picking either L Jackson or M Rudolph
    4. Taking someone like Kyle Lauletta with our 2nd round pick

The Cardinals have too many needs this year and next to be trading away lots of our future picks.

20. By dkerry5242 on Apr 25, 2018 | Reply

Mason Rudolph over Lamar Jackson all day. Jackson is another RGIII in the making and we all know how that’s turned out.

21. By GARY M ARNOLD on Apr 29, 2018 | Reply

Joe Namath
    Steve Psarkawitz
    Kelly Stouffer
    Matt Leinart
    Josh Rosen

Hope the Cardinals have more success with Rosen then they have had with the last four first round quarterbacks they chose!