Sam Bradford’s text to Josh Rosen

Posted by Darren Urban on May 1, 2018 – 9:15 am

By now (I would hope) you’re all watching the series “Flight Plan” and how it chronicles the offseason of the Cardinals. The episode coming Wednesday night on Facebook (www.facebook.com/cardinalsflightplan) will be all about the draft, with a ton of cool behind-the-scenes stuff with number one draft pick Josh Rosen — including a text message from new teammate/competition at quarterback Sam Bradford.

The scene plays out as Rosen and his parents and agent were being driven to the Cardinals’ Tempe facility Friday for Rosen’s introductory press conference. Rosen turns to agent Ryan Williams and says, “Sam just texted me. Bradford.” Then he reads the text.

“He said, ‘Josh, what’s up, man? Welcome to Arizona,” Rosen reads. ” ‘Just wanted to let you know that I look forward to playing with you. I’ll be an open book, so if you ever need anything or have any questions, feel free to ask. Hope all is well.’ ”

You can then see Rosen writing a text back.

It’s an important tidbit given the questions some have had with how Rosen and Bradford will mesh, given that Rosen — obviously — is considered the long-term solution at quarterback. Yes, you can say Bradford is just being nice, but had he not texted and just waited to talk to Rosen when Rosen arrives next week, no one would’ve thought anything of it. It’s hard to not think the message genuine.

On Rosen’s part, he’s made it clear he’d like to play sooner rather than later, but he acknowledged at his press conference, “First and foremost, I’m an Arizona Cardinal. It’s team before everything. … I’m going to compete my butt off every single day, but then again, I’m not going to be the guy that comes in and thinks he’s the man from Day 1. It’s a long process, and you’ve got to earn it.”

All this will be on Flight Plan this week. Usually, there is a new episode debuting every two weeks, but this week is the exception. It will post Wednesday night at  6 p.m. Arizona time on Facebook Watch and then on azcardinals.com Thursday morning.

Tags: , ,

49 Responses to “Sam Bradford’s text to Josh Rosen”

1. By Steve on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Darren: Any chance you will do a sit down interview with Josh before training camp opens?

2. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Rosen

We will see how it plays out. There will be a lot of one-on-one Rosen stuff in Wednesday’s Flight Plan episode.

3. By Chad on May 1, 2018 | Reply

I would hate to be Bradford and realize my text was just read aloud on a TV episode. How much of this is orchestrated by agents and what not in order to produce good TV with a positive PR move for Bradford? I don’t want to be cynical but, I mean, how do they even get each other’s numbers?

4. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Chad —

RE: Numbers

It’s the day after the draft. You don’t think Bradford reached out to the team to ask for Rosen’s number? Players do that all the time around the draft. It’s not hard. Look around the league — I’d bet a lot of money there were many picks that got texts from brand-new teammates. (Oh, and maybe Aaron Rodgers gave it to Bradford. Or Trent Dilfer, or any number of guys who have a connection to Rosen and who also could know Bradford.)

Did Sam know we were going to have a camera there? No. Josh didn’t know either until the plane arrived in Dallas to pick him up.

And from what little I know of Bradford, he isn’t doing stuff just for positive PR moves.

5. By Eric G on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Still can’t believe we got Rosen. I was in the middle of preparing for a move on the East Coast and had just got home late and flipped on Fox right after the 9th pick was made. I was listening to the analysts talk when I saw the background behind them change from black and light up in Cardinal red. I said, “Oh my god, did the Cardinals trade up? Please tell me they traded up!” The analysts announced the trade and I jumped out of my seat screaming. I really still can’t believe it.

Best thing is, when you watch the war room video on the draft pick, it was obvious that Keim had that trade already done with the Raiders, it was just a formality on Thursday if Rosen fell to 10. Great job Keim. Mike Mayock said the Cards didn’t need to make the trade and that Rosen would have been there at 15 but I disagree. Small chance that Miami drafts him, but the Saints definitely would have (I mean they traded up to 14 for a DE), Bengals might have and perhaps the Patriots. Regardless, Keim went out and secured the QB of the future for next to nothing.

I hope Bradford remains healthy all year so Rosen can sit on the sidelines and learn before he becomes the #1 starter.

6. By Steve on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Do these episode chronicle all the backroom dealings during the draft and any thought processes surrounding picks – or is this episode only focusing on Rosen’s selection?

7. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Steve —

RE: Episode

It’ll have a lot of draft stuff other than Rosen.

8. By JTDG on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Well, One has to wonder if Rosen will greet Bradford the same way Rodgers greeted Favre.

I mean, so many have compared Rodgers and Rosen’s personalities.

So, will Rosen say “Good Morning , Grandpa” like Rodgers did to Favre ?

That was the beginning of their rocky existence and why Favre wanted so badly to get to Minn to play the young Rodgers who took his job.

9. By JTDG on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Eric G,

I absolutely agree with you that the trade up was correct.

Keim like Carr, but waited and the raiders took him. Keim came out saying if he would have fallen to the cards he would have taken him.

Keim like Mahomes, but waited for him to fall. The Chiefs jumped up and got him.

Keim learned from his mistakes and decided to move up to get their guy. Maybe he falls to 15, but why take the chance? If you like a player, go get him.

This was Keim’s best draft by far. People will point at 2015, but that happened because he let the Lions jump him and he had to settle for Golden and DJ. That wasn’t who he wanted.

This draft, he went and got his guy. He deserves the credit for this move.

10. By Scott H on May 1, 2018 | Reply

It’s nice to see both Bradford and Rosen saying the right things. It was nice of Bradford to reach out to Rosen after the draft and it’s nice to hear Rosen acknowledge that he is the new guy here, it’s about the team, and he has to earn his spot. As it should be.

But at the same time, I think it is completely fair to ask – what has Sam Bradford earned here? He just got here, too, hasn’t played any more downs for the Arizona Cardinals than Josh Rosen has. So….doesn’t he have to earn it, too? Do we actually KNOW that the disparity between Bradford and Rosen is as clear as it was between Palmer and Stanton?? The only answer anyone can give right now is no. We DON’T actually KNOW that.

From that perspective, I see no reason why the QB competition here shouldn’t be wide open from day one.

11. By Mark on May 1, 2018 | Reply

I have to totally agree with Eric G and JTDG. Their is very little chance Rosen gets to pick 15. The fact that they gave up very little to move up five spots to get a potential franchise Quarterback is just genius. Keim learned from his lesson from last year when teams jumped him. For those of you that don’t know anything about Rosen, watch the highlights of the UCLA vs Texas A&M game. All the back shoulder throws and fitting balls in those small windows is proof this guy has the potential!

12. By Amir on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Keim atoned for his past sins… He learnt from his previous mistakes especially last year when he let two teams jump right in front of him to pick QBoF.

Pre-draft when I heard Keim make these comments again that moving up may put a franchise several years back if it does not pan out, I thought here we go again… But, SK grew and finally did it! Moved up and grabbed the QBoF and did it in a smart way not to give up a lot of capital. I am pretty sure (99.9% sure) he would have been gone before 15.

Whether Rosen pans out or not is yet to be seen… but we can’t know unless we try.

Kudos to SK for this outstanding move!

13. By El Gallo on May 1, 2018 | Reply

– Influx of Talent

The FO made a serious leap forward.

QB room has lots of potential.
    He didn’t have to but glad Sam reached out.

Despite Bradford’s injuries, he’s highly talented and smart.
    The one thing he can pass down to Rosen is his ability to read complex defenses.
    Bradford is a great game manager.
    Quick to diagnose what teams are trying to do depending on personnel, down, distance and situation.
    This is where I hope Rosen can learn and add to his tool belt – mental progression.

It’s interesting to read and hear that Rosen and Kirk have a friendship already.
    Both having visited UCLA together as their HS careers ended and wanting to play together.
    Now they reunite, having that previous bond will only benefit them and the rest of the team.
    Awesome!

The OL room should now feel invigorated.
    With new veterans, rookie standouts, and familiar faces.
    If all remain healthy, can definitely make a stand and create holes for the pass and run game.
    If anything we now have some depth.

4th RD pick at RB was a surprise.
    But after looking him up, all you can say is.. Wow.
    Incredible production, regardless of small school.
    Can do it all.. run & catch.
    Have to see about blocking at this level, can definitely aid us in ST.

14. By El Gallo on May 1, 2018 | Reply

– Defense

Only one pick on the defensive side of the ball.
    A bit odd, but as SK said they stuck to their board and high grades on guys.

With their pick in the 6th they got a solid CB at that point and time.
    We all wish we could’ve had a top tier pick of course to fill the CB2 spot.

Next step would be to bring in a solid vet.
    Hopefully young and hungry, on a 1yr prove it deal.
    He’ll receive most of the attention so we need this guy to be top end talent.
    Those late touchdowns killed us in the early games last year and that set the tone for the season.
    Let’s not make that mistake again.

The group of UDFA is promising.
    I see some talented guys.

Glad they brought in a kicker to compete.
    Our vet was way too sketchy last year.
    Needs to be sure he can still perform.

Definitely still need a TE.
    Imagine bringing in solid CB2 and TE veterans..
    We can contend vs our counterparts in the Division.

Excited to see what other moves SK has in store.

15. By MartinK on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Wow! I like the undrafted rookies!

Alec James is an absolute steal. He is an intelligent worker who was Second-team All-Big Ten and won Academic All-Big Ten three times. An unselfish guy who was a huge contributor to one of the best defenses in 2017. He has a motor and can play all positions on the defensive line (4-3 and 3-4). This is a great replacement for Josh Mauro and he has the potential to be our next Marcus Golden.

WR Jonah Trinnaman is probably the fastest man drafted this year, although he was not at the combine. I don’t see him making the contested catches that John Brown used to make, but he is lights out as a return man on special teams with the ability of a Ted Ginn. He has a strong built and if he can learn how to tackle he can replace Bethel on special teams, or even convert to corner.

16. By NJAzCardsFan on May 1, 2018 | Reply

I have to give Keim credit for trying and then succeeding… in moving up. The comp picks enabled him to make these trades.

Darren- Anyway one could find out if Rosen was drafted by someone else who the Cards first round pick would have been…???

17. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2018 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Rosen drafted

Likely not.

18. By K gaston on May 1, 2018 | Reply

If you want to 👑 his ### then 👑 he has not done anything in the NFL this ain’t Kansas worthy everyone here good no take it back great game is a lot faster and whip to say he might just turn out to be mat Leonardo sit back room and learn be a sponge sit for 2yrs because Bradford gonna light it up

19. By CARDS62 on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Thoughts on the draft

1) Classy of Bradford to send the text. Good for him
    2) We all know it will take two to three years to evaluate the draft, but my initial thoughts is overall this is my favorite Keim draft.
    3) Looking forward to watching the episode about the draft. I doubt they will discuss this but I wonder if Josh Jackson CB Iowa was available in the second round if we would have taken him. Green Bay moved up to draft him and they also drafted a CB in round one plus they took T. Williams our starting CB from us.
    4) I like the WR Kirk we selected from A&M plus he returns punts. Caught a lot of passes in the SEC so looking forward to watching him play.
    5) Center from that school up north is also a solid selection. I wanted Billy Price, but Cincinnati gobbled him up in round one.
    6) Chase Edmonds RB Fordham can turn out to be a very good player, but I would have taken OT Jamarco Jones from Ohio State as a tackle or guard prospect plus Settle DT from Virginia Tech and the running back from Tenn were still on the board.
    7) Very pleased we had a plan and went after UDFA with a passion. I think we signed 24. We did cut Gabe Martin LB which I hated to see as I think he can play for us. Tip of the hat to our scouts as they really put in the work to find these free agents as two of the colleges I never heard of. We signed an OL named House, great name for a lineman, who played football for the Crimson Storm of Southern Nazarene. Googled the university and they are located in Bethany, Oklahoma and you can send your children there for a cool $25K a year with 2,000 other students. This House kid was on JV as a junior in high school and this was the only place he could go to play college ball and he overcame a very difficult injury. They say he is a class act and no one will out work him so I will definitely keep an eye on him and root for him this preseason. We also signed a WR who caught a lot of balls who is a Boll Weevil from the University of Arkansas at Monticello. Can not make this stuff up and they play each other so our scouts got a two for one special watching this game.
    8) Well sports fans the elephant in the room once again is who is going to be our second and third CBs this season? How many years in a rows do we keep having this question? We cut two of our CBs on our roster to make room for the UDFA.
    DBs is our new coaches specialty but I think we have to have an insurance policy and sign one or two veterans. We just can not go into another season with so many questions at the CB position and PP is very durable but he is not Superman. What in the world happens if PP is injured?

I am excited about our draft, UDFA, but we need to do some more work on our roster.

Go Cards!!!

20. By StevenRS on May 1, 2018 | Reply

Darren… I have been wondering about such pre-draft comments concerning quarterbacks; phrases such as “throwing into tight windows” and “low completion rates” and such and I often how does one determine if those numbers are on the quarterback, the receiver or the coverage. Low completion rate for example…does the receiver run an improvise route or gets tied up by a defender and unable to make a split section catch…that falls on the quarterbacks numbers. Obviously other factors in play but how do scouts know what is a true factor?

21. By Darren Urban on May 1, 2018 | Reply

StevenRS —

RE: Pre-draft comments

In theory, no one should be making those comments unless they have watched a ton of video. But ultimately, it’s still subjective. You talk to coaches and find out basically what’s what, but you never completely know 100 percent.

22. By GARY HICKERSON on May 1, 2018 | Reply

I think the CARDINALS have set themselves up about as good as they could have and more in this years draft. O-line will tell the tale of how sucs
    essfull the CARDINALS will be this up coming season!.

23. By Bill Camp on May 1, 2018 | Reply

I, too, am thrilled that we got Josh Rosen! Not only were we desperate for a QBoF, but I think Steve Keim finally got a star out of a first round selection. I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss Sam Bradford though. He has great talent. If he stays healthy, he can be a great QB for us. Nice to have a wealth of talent at that position finally.

I know Christian Kirk will be a solid receiver for us, but with our great need for a CB, I wish we had traded up 3-5 spots in the second round to get Josh Jackson.

24. By William Friberg on May 1, 2018 | Reply

This speaks loudly that Bradford is a first class person!

25. By Dr. G. on May 1, 2018 | Reply

JTDG ~ ~ You aren’t in disagreement with me…kinda saying the same thing on Rosen. Your caveat about “”UNTIL THE O-LINE GELS”” is very key. You know that with all the changes, it may take until until the BYE ((week 9)) to gel…lets hope not. ((When in 2017 did our line ever really gell?))

O-Line can be way more complicated than most fans realize depending on the playbook. (I know you are aware of this)…the reason they get big bucks. Every Offense starts there.

Listing all the things that NFL time in grade I posted earlier cannot be learned in just the first camp…Bradford is way ahead here, ((no jitters)) unless Wilks simplifies the play book for Rosen. I know he’s smart and eager…goes without saying.

FWIW, interested to hear your comparison of these 2 guys’ arms and accuracy at this point…trick question???? I want our best chance to win while we develop. 2019 is not soon enough as you allude to take 2018 to prep Rosen.

But, i will give you this, both guys are really starting with an “”unknown playbook,”” so there’s that. Gel, and Be well…! Got the QBOF!

Today, Vegas Book makers have the Cardinals winning 5 or 6 games…gotta make some cash on the over there…I don’t get this one.

26. By Cactus jeff on May 1, 2018 | Reply

JTDG
    Farve went to MN because the Packers only provided him aWR for one year after Sharpe went down, Andre Rison. Great move to grab a WR and RB. Weapons weapons and weapons are the Patriots and Philadelphia way, turns an average qb into a super bowl champion. Way to go SK.

27. By Dan Nicholson on May 2, 2018 | Reply

Bill Camp
    Re – Bradford
    I agree not so fast to dismiss him. Watching those practice videos he is moving pretty fluidly & throwing good. Maybe the grass surface & desert warmth will benefit him as opposed to turf& cold. Are you the Bill Camp , a pitcher, I played ball with on A’s team in FOY league or are you using the “Bill Camp” name from the movie Molly’s game?

28. By JCH on May 2, 2018 | Reply

Darren-
    Since you do work for the Arizona Cardinals and manage their things, how early would you get to see the flight plan? Or do you kind of help make it?

29. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2018 | Reply

JCH —

RE: Flight Plan

I don’t really help make it, although I do see parts of it early and, obviously, I am around some of the stuff in real time that they are filming.

30. By forbessh on May 2, 2018 | Reply

First of all, we must commend Steve Keim, Coach Wilks and the scouting team for a very good draft (imagine if we had a draft like that three years in a row!).

Re. Bradford, do you know if the front office got assurances that he would not become a sulky senior citizen now that a future QB has been drafted. He reacted very negatively when the Eagles drafted Carson Wentz and even refused to train for a while. Has he changed much since then?

A text message exchange is great (let’s not get carried away pls!) but are there concerns about how Bradford will actually react re. sharing experience and supporting as No2 when Rosen is under centre sooner than later?

31. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2018 | Reply

Forbessh —

RE: Concerns

None that I know of. Not sure how that helps him.

32. By michael on May 2, 2018 | Reply

Darren-

Any news on Tyvon Branch recovery? If he is behind schedule, any chance the Cards bring in Eric Reid? Incredibly talented safety that is being shunned by the league now.

33. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2018 | Reply

Michael —

RE: Branch

Branch is no longer on the roster, and I doubt he will return. As for Reid, not sure if they would look at him. If they went after a veteran safety, Tre Boston — who has a history with Wilks — would seem more likely to me.

34. By Joe C. on May 2, 2018 | Reply

So I don’t see a big difference in Kiem’s approach this year. He’s been slow and steady and not willing to mortgage the future. (see no future first or this years second for rosen) We’ve seen improved cap numbers every year and draft picks based on potential vice immediate help or needs. As I’ve said I think the Carson trade worked so well the FO had to deviate from slow and steady to signing some contracts they would have avoided. I think 2019 is the real first year Kiem is going to own the result on the field. If we have a solid team within a few pieces of championship contention with a balanced cap and all our draft picks he’ll be a success.

35. By D on May 2, 2018 | Reply

Rough comments from these nfl front office types….Rosen could be a combination of J. George and J. Cutler…ouch

36. By Alberto on May 2, 2018 | Reply

Darren, is there any chance that josh rosen starts week 1 depending on Sam Bradford knee

37. By Darren Urban on May 2, 2018 | Reply

Alberto —

RE: Rosen

Of course there is a chance.

38. By Mike Magee on May 2, 2018 | Reply

Looking forward to Bradford and Rosen! This season should be a good one the new coach and a new quarterback that both are looking to make there way into the story books for the Cardinal is just what we needed .

39. By Scott H on May 2, 2018 | Reply

D –

RE: ouch

Take heart, my friend. The QB I’ve heard most frequently compared with Rosen has been Aaron Rodgers.

But that said, I think we ( ALL of us ) do these rookies a great dis-service when we start comparing them to anyone. People hear enough of these comparisons, they start to incorporate them. That can create expectations that are un-fair and un-necessary. These kids don’t need that. When you’re a QB of the future, taken in the top 10….you’ve got enough pressure on you already.

2. May 1, 2018: Cardinals Begin To Cut Down Roster | VegasPicks.com
  3. May 1, 2018: Cardinals’ Bradford texted Rosen after draft to offer unconditional support | Sports
  4. May 1, 2018: Sam Bradford welcomed Josh Rosen with a classy text | Olionews
  5. May 1, 2018: Sam Bradford welcomed Josh Rosen to the Cardinals with a classy text message | GridironBuzz – Fantasy Football
  6. May 2, 2018: Sam Bradford will ‘be an open book’ for Josh Rosen – Sports News
  7. May 2, 2018: Sam Bradford will ‘be an open book’ for Josh Rosen – Sports World
  8. May 2, 2018: Sam Bradford will ‘be an open book’ for Josh Rosen – A.I.O.S.N.
  9. May 2, 2018: Cardinals Begin To Cut Down Roster – Dailypigskin.com
  10. May 2, 2018: Sam Bradford will ‘be an open book’ for Josh Rosen – Sports Lovers
  11. May 3, 2018: Josh Rosen Pick Brings Financial Flexibility – Dailypigskin.com