Bruce Arians gets his TV gig

Posted by Darren Urban on May 3, 2018 – 8:10 am

When Bruce Arians retired from coaching, he said he was looking at what to do in the next stage of his life. Doing some form of football on TV made a lot of sense to him, and networks were intrigued by the blunt-talking B.A. Thursday, that became reality when Arians was officially hired by CBS to join a three-man booth with play-by-play man Greg Gumbel and former quarterback Trent Green for the 2018 season.

“I always hoped that broadcasting would be an option after I retired from coaching as a way to stay involved with this great game,” Arians said in a statement released by CBS.  “I am thrilled to have that opportunity with such a class organization as CBS Sports.  As I begin my new career in the broadcast booth, I am excited to join Greg, Trent and Jamie and look forward to learning from them, as well as sharing my passion and knowledge for the game with the fans.”

Of course, it will be interesting to hear how Arians interprets games from the booth, and how easily he is able to avoid some of the not-made-for-TV language he so often likes to use. Arians has joked about that multiple times when talking about being on TV.

The Cardinals only have one game on CBS all season — a home game Nov. 18 against the Oakland Raiders. I wouldn’t be shocked to have Arians and crew at that game, but we will see.

Tags:

46 Responses to “Bruce Arians gets his TV gig”

1. By bradjames33160 on May 3, 2018 | Reply

awesome!

2. By forbessh on May 3, 2018 | Reply

Great. BA made the Cards relevant again. Thanks for the good times. Onwards and forwards to the next level with Coach Wilks!

3. By Jonathan on May 3, 2018 | Reply

Good for coach!

4. By JCH on May 3, 2018 | Reply

Darren-
    Have you ever just walked by the camera man while he is filming (Flight Plan) and you just want’t to video bomb in it. HAHA I would probobaly video bomb so much if ever saw them filming for it. I could not help myself ,I mean its a video camera “FILMING” for flight plan WHO WOULD NOT WANNA VIDEO BOMB!?!? I just wanted to know if you ever wanted to video bomb in “Flight Plan”?

5. By Larso on May 3, 2018 | Reply

I have no idea how to watch CBS from germany, is it the CBS Sport HQ online- stream?? I miss that guy

6. By JR on May 3, 2018 | Reply

Coach B.A. broadcasting a little John Madden like. Can’t wait to hear.

7. By RagingREDBird on May 3, 2018 | Reply

I hope they use a 3 second time delay!!

8. By D on May 3, 2018 | Reply

I guess we have to have faith in Coach Wilks on AZ’s secondary, that he believes one or two of the CB’s on the roster will be able to start outside at CB2. PP2 is a top 3 CB in the league and Buddha could be a very good safety, but look at GB’s secondary, it has to be the deepest in the league.

9. By Darren Urban on May 3, 2018 | Reply

D —

RE: CB2

Before everyone decides it’s going to be one of the current guys, let’s see who is on the roster Sept. 1.

10. By creditcard on May 3, 2018 | Reply

Good for BA,and well deserved.

The organization has turned a corner with the stadium, fan base,and winning seasons. A handful of years ago, no Cardinal player or coach would be asked to be a broadcaster, or have NFL star power. Not anymore, the Cards (as an organization) is legit.

11. By mal on May 3, 2018 | Reply

Besides all the other stuff swirling around this team after a good draft with a new head coach —–

i’ve got a feeling that Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk on the same team might just turn out to be once-in-a-lifetime stuff.

(especially when you throw David Johnson into their mix….. )

12. By Patrick on May 3, 2018 | Reply

It is nice to see that a lot of the jaded Cardinals fans have found a reason to believe in the Cardinals again.

13. By Scott H on May 4, 2018 | Reply

OK, so much for retirement!

But I love this and I think he will be GREAT in the booth. He has real personality and isn’t afraid to say something. I just hope he knows he can’t drop the f-bomb like he did as a coach!

Good for you, coach. Enjoy this.

14. By clssylssy on May 4, 2018 | Reply

I am happy for BA, and am sure he will liven things up for CBS. His becoming an analyst for CBS will be good for the fans as well as the network, as he has the knowledge and experience to be able to offer a unique insight, while at the same time making it fun.
    I didn’t always agree with his methods but have never questioned his knowledge of football and feel fortunate to have had him as a HC in Arizona at a time when we needed a shot of something a little stronger than the buttoned up, run-of-the-mill NFL HC model. He won games, was entertaining, and his players loved him, which is the best endorsement a coach can ever have. His family worked tirelessly for children in our community who have no voice, and I hope he finds this next chapter everything he is looking for in his retirement.
    Thanks BA, nobody will ever say that Cardinal football was boring under you!

15. By Dynosoar on May 4, 2018 | Reply

The more I’m reading about our newest QB (Rosen), the more intrigued I’m becoming. A lot of people don’t like him, but coming from a Tennessee Volunteers fan who had a most interesting coaching search last fall, I’m ok with not following the pundits.

They tried to convince us we should just take what’s given to us and like it. Now the analysts are saying we should not like our new QB.

Well, I’ll trust Bidwill, Keim and Wilks over the pundits, except now BA is a pundit. Hmmm.

I’d love to see BA’s comments/thoughts on having Bradford and Rosen as our QBs. I haven’t seen anything yet, but am sure it will come. I’d love to see Warner’s thoughts as well.

Mostly, I just want to see them play.
    Bradford has a 62.9% career completion, with 71.6% over 552 attempts for 2016. So improvement.
    Rosen has a 60.9% completion at UCLA with 62.6% last season over 452 attempts.

Kurt Warner had 65.5% for career.
    Tom Brady 63.9% career.
    Aaron Rodgers 65.1% career
    Carson Palmer 62.5% career
    Peyton Manning 65.3% career

Our top two QBs are in good company. I can’t wait to hear BA in a broadcasting booth. Scott H. methinks there will be “Beeps” galore.

16. By D on May 4, 2018 | Reply

I would like to do some training in the Bahamas.

17. By Scott H on May 4, 2018 | Reply

Dynosaur –

RE: Beeps galore

Man, wouldn’t that be funny?? Let’s be honest – most booths could use that kind of flavor. I’m sure BA will find a way to add HIS unique flavor without giving the censors high blood pressure. People are going to LOVE him in the broadcast booth. Guaranteed.

18. By Scott H on May 4, 2018 | Reply

In other news….man, quite a fire sale going on up there in Seattle. One wonders if that team is in transition to becoming an offensive team behind Russell Wilson. They might have to. Because it sure looks like the defensive machine that has been in place for so long is pretty much gone. Many pieces are gone. Any that are left are going to showing their age.

The NFC West is going to seem so much different this season. Might be THE most intriguing division in the league with all the turnover that has gone on.

I SOOOOO wish we could have made getting Richard Sherman happen. Him and PP together…..where would teams be able to throw the ball at all???

19. By creditcard on May 4, 2018 | Reply

Good article on Brandon Williams, I don’t think he is a bust — he played good special teams. Maybe special teams is his thing — a good team, needs good gunners and coverage guys.

20. By creditcard on May 4, 2018 | Reply

Depth charts this time of year is meaningless. The roster will be in motion now through the end of the season. There will be injuries, FA signings, and who knows shifting the equation for every position.

21. By faster on May 5, 2018 | Reply

let`s not speak about jaded fans, let`s speak about praying fans.
    each morning a prayer ” please let them stay healthy “.

and believeing in luck? lets wait and see

22. By faster on May 5, 2018 | Reply

another news with nothing to do with the cards:

Trump will appoint Belichick to his Council on Sports, Fitness and Nutrition.

why not tb12?

“Under Trump, the council is more focused on sport, while former President Barack Obama’s administration was more focused on nutrition.”

now you know why tb12/alex rodriguez were not asked.

another furure rift at the patriots?

and please do not ask why BA is not on this council, lol.

23. By Kevin S Mesa on May 5, 2018 | Reply

Cool for BA.

In other news, I just saw this article — which suggests the Cardinals have the toughest schedule in the NFL. This is based on the projected win totals of each team per the Vegas O/U lines.

Interesting. I wasn’t thinking of it as a particularly daunting schedule.

24. By dynosoar on May 5, 2018 | Reply

Hey Kevin,

what they meant to say is anyone with the Cardinals on their schedule, especially those who play us twice will have the hardest schedule.

Hah! Take that Vegas.

I don’t talk smack, but when I do…

25. By D on May 5, 2018 | Reply

My plan for SK to fill the remaining holes on the roster.

3 biggest holes on AZ roster after the draft is:

CB2
    TE
    Safety

Solutions:

Offer the Browns a 2019 4th round pick, with option to change into 3rd round
    Based production for J. Taylor. He will be traded this off season and is a decent to good CB with Wilks tutulidge. A 27 yr old making around 4.5 mil is a bargain for a starting CB,

Sign UFA A. Gates at TE. Still can be productive and would be a good mentor for Seals Jones while Gresham rehabs. Has played and was good in McCoys offense.

Sign UFA T. Boston, a good Safety that played in Carolina. He will only be 26 yrs old this season.

Boston and Taylor could be multiple year starters for the Cards.

26. By mal on May 6, 2018 | Reply

Darren-

What’s the best way for a fan (me) to send word to Paul Calvisi?

27. By Darren Urban on May 6, 2018 | Reply

Mal —

RE: Calvisi

You can send an e-mail either to askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net or askquestions@cardinals.nfl.net and put that it’s for Paul in the subject line.

28. By Scott H on May 6, 2018 | Reply

creditcard –

RE: Williams isn’t a bust

Well, he is a 3rd round draft pick who played one – ONE – defensive snap in 2017. Ouch. AND that was on a team that needed plenty of help at the CB2 spot. Not like he was buried on the depth chart. There WAS no depth chart.

When you say maybe special teams is his thing….it just sounds like Justin Bethel all over again. And we know how that went. Ugh.

I’m down with giving him another year to see if he can come around – especially since DB’s are kinda what our head coach seems to know best – but if he isn’t making some impact here by mid-point in the season, well…..then what else can ya call it?

Steve Keim really could use some help from this year’s draft class in regard to his reputation. Let’s face it, it has not been his strength. Some might say that is a gross understatement. Guys like Brandon Williams and Robert Nkemdiche – high picks that have contributed next to NOTHING so far – are looming large as big-time misses. Failures to pair PP with another decent CB or to address needs along the OL are also an un-avoidable part of the Keim legacy to this point. And let’s remember that David Johnson is basically ours because the Lions took the guy Keim wanted. So, how much credit does even deserve for that?

Seriously, he really does need a solid draft class to help put the shine back on him.

But I gotta be honest, I think Brandon Williams is more likely go bust than boom. Like many other things, I’d love to be wrong about that. We’ll see.

29. By JTDG on May 7, 2018 | Reply

Read the article , Wilks, Brandon Williams and CB2 and all I could think of was it needs a different title.

I was thinking, “See if Wilks can make Chicken Salad out of Chicken S@*#.

Brandon Williams biggest issue is playing the ball. I thought he did better last year in preseason, but he needs more seasoning. But as Scott pointed out, this seems like another Bethel situation.

I am wondering if Keim wants to just use what is on the roster or find another 1 year deal and then try and draft someone next year? Seems logical for a team that has a young QB and young receivers and is still figuring out the oline.

Another offseason and draft could address the needs and make this team pretty good in 2019. Maybe Keim doesnt want to sign a multi year deal with someone because he knows 2018 isn’t their year and he will address it next year.

I don’t have any other explanation of why he doesn’t have a CB2. Do you?

30. By D on May 7, 2018 | Reply

AZ will need to have the secondary figured out before facing the Rams twice this year with their WR’s.

PP
    M. Williams
    B. Williams
    Benwikere
    C. Campbell
    Louis Young

Bethea
    Baker
    Ford
    Miller

Tre Boston would be a much needed addition to Safety.

31. By Coach K on May 7, 2018 | Reply

Do you know of any Fan Cruise for Cardinal Fans that cruises in June or July?

I heard there was one that goes to Alaska for 7 days and some players are on the cruise?

Please fill me in if you know about this cruise.

32. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2018 | Reply

Coach K —

RE: Cruise

I have not heard of anything. I will ask around.

33. By Dr. G. on May 7, 2018 | Reply

CBS – – Coach him up hard, and hug him later and hand him a beer!

Any referrence to Madden is flawed. He’ll have his own short term style.

Now, on to other current team related things…

34. By Dr. G. on May 7, 2018 | Reply

Darren – Perhaps I missed it… Have you posted the camp practice schedule yet? Always look forward to seeing things develop there. Thank you…

35. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2018 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Camp schedule

We have a little time before that is usually announced.

36. By michael on May 7, 2018 | Reply

Darren-

With Gresham recovering from injury and a thin bench behind him, any talk of Keim making a move for Coby Fleener? Would seem to be a natural move.

37. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2018 | Reply

Michael —

RE: TE

Don’t know if it would be Fleener, but I could see them adding a vet TE at some point.

38. By Scott H on May 7, 2018 | Reply

Michael –

RE: Fleener

You beat me to it. I just saw the news of the Saints planning to release Fleener and I would be pretty excited about him here. He’s been a productive TE, a guy who can catch passes and make plays. He’s not Antonio Gates, but…..on THIS team, he might as well be.

Then again, maybe it’s not that we need different TE’s. Maybe we need a change in offensive philosophy that actually incorporates the TE as a weapon. It is AMAZING to me that over a period of DECADES, so many coaches have come and gone, yet the fact that nobody knows who our TE is never changes. Wouldn’t you think ONE of those head coaches would have done more with our TE’s???

It’s even more amazing when you look at all of the young and / or back-up QB’s that have played here during that time. I mean….isn’t there a saying that a TE is that kind of QB’s best friend? Ya hear that all the time. But it’s never been true here.

One wonders if THIS might finally be the year. Because beyond Fitz, we sure don’t have much in the way of sure-thing WR’s. A guy like Coby Fleener could be REAL useful to a team like the Cardinals right now.

39. By JCH on May 7, 2018 | Reply

Darren-
    Has Josh Rosen done any practice with the cardinals team yet? How about Christian Kirk also? If not, when could we see them practice at the soonest?

40. By Darren Urban on May 7, 2018 | Reply

JCH —

RE: Rookie camp

Rookie minicamp begins Friday. We will have stories, videos, pictures.

41. By JCH on May 7, 2018 | Reply

Thank you Darren for info!

42. By NJAzCardsFan on May 7, 2018 | Reply

Wilks would be better off converting B Williams to a WR than a CB…. Why? He was a running back before he was a CB. He has the speed, so why not give it a try. The Cards need a WR or two as Chad Williams isn’t a sure thong either.
    BTW, is there still an Amber Alert out on B Williams…???

43. By clssylssy on May 8, 2018 | Reply

We have a new coaching staff and a new system, so, I would say if a player is still on the roster when we get to 90, they must have some value, and it’s premature to label anybody a “bust”. Certainly, if we are counting unproductive off seasons, lack of FA signings and drafts that didn’t produce immediate starters and play makers, we could say that our front office was something of a “bust” as they failed to sign the talent needed to sustain our place in this division, get us to the playoffs. They didn’t find legitimate replacements when we lost pieces to injury (which is a predictable part of football and should be budgeted for). Previously, this FO put a premium on “project players” then never followed through with their development, allowing them to be “disappointments/busts” to the fans who were expecting impact players to materialize. How many starts a player had, or their role on the team was at the liking of the coaching staff, as well as, how they were portrayed to the media and fans. Many of those players are gone now and this is a new day with a fresh philosophy and real plans for player development.
    So far, we really don’t know how this coaching staff will utilize our existing players and new talent except for the little tidbits they have given the media. Coach Wilks has stated that he wants to focus on the run game and Elijah Penney is supposedly being put into the FB role, which sounds interesting, and the 0-line seems to have improved. With Ricky Seals-Jones now our #1 TE, we have more options for our QB, but I’m really most interested in seeing how our receivers will be used (it seems the Organization is making an obvious attempt to reduce Fitz’s role as he is “phased out” as the face of the franchise and fan favorite). Mike McCoy knows how to use his TE as more than a battering ram, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Cards bring in another TE to beef up that position, adding teeth to our short game. Mostly, I am concerned about our defense, as each year it has become weaker while every other team in the league has improved and, it seems we have more holes than ever, without the dynamic play makers or leadership.
    Training Camp will reveal a lot about what this team is going to look like with this new system, although the coaches can only work with the talent given to them and our schedule is stacked against us. I just hope all the youthful enthusiasm will sustain us until we can turn a corner!

44. By JTDG on May 8, 2018 | Reply

I was looking at your camp pictures and one thing stood out to me, David Johnson is a big back.

I would guess you have stood next to him, is he a bigger back? Is he bigger/stronger this year?
    He almost looks like ADub (body wise). Would you say that is accurate?

Just curious.

45. By Darren Urban on May 8, 2018 | Reply

JTDG –

RE: DJohnson

I’d say he is a big back, yes. Bigger than before? Not sure I’d say that. Looks the same to me.

46. By D on May 8, 2018 | Reply

I wonder if it will be a big adjustment for DJ running behind a FB. Thinking he may have had one in N. Iowa. We all know BA loathed them the last 5 years. DJ and either the kid from Wisc or Penny running through the hole will be a lot of beef going down hill at a LB.