For Cardinals, the fullback is here again

Posted by Darren Urban on May 11, 2018 – 2:23 pm

Not that it comes as a great surprise after a) Derrick Coleman was signed as a free agent Thursday or even b) Elijhaa Penny was getting reps in Phase Two work as a lead blocker for David Johnson, but Steve Wilks and Mike McCoy have brought the fullback back to the Cardinals. If you recall, Bruce Arians made very clear he was not going to use a fullback in his tenure (although there were times when he kinda did, even if it was embodied by a lineman like A.Q. Shipley or Evan Boehm.)

Arians preferred two tight-end sets if he was going to have only two receivers on the field. Wilks and McCoy see the fullback — or an H-back, depending on the situation — as a preferred option. The Cardinals also signed undrafted rookie fullback Austin Ramesh (pictured below).

“Derrick is going to come in and give us a boost,” Wilks said. “We really didn’t have a true fullback on the roster. Going against him within that division in the (NFC) South (when Coleman was in Atlanta and Wilks Carolina), the guy has proven himself.”

“Within our system and the things we do, a fullback is a part of that offense,” Wilks added. “It’s been a part of that offense for a while with McCoy, and even the same thing with me in Carolina. We think that’s a major part of what we are doing and we want to try and bring in a guy who shores up that position for us.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 Responses to “For Cardinals, the fullback is here again”

1. By Michael D Wellman on May 11, 2018 | Reply

A Fullback.
    This is going to be even more interesting.

Heck for that matter 2018 has already been more than just a bit interesting with the Draft, need I say more?

GO CARDS!!!

2. By Dan Nicholson on May 12, 2018 | Reply

Bet Wofley is ready to suit up and pop pads with the FB coming to this offense. Good pick up getting Coleman.

3. By D on May 12, 2018 | Reply

#96, Needham, LB from S Utah, curious how he looks this training camp. His highlights are impressive, AZ needs a 4th LB that can run and cover.

4. By RagingREDBird on May 12, 2018 | Reply

I personally love the fullback. I am glad this O will be using one. I know most people don’t feel it is sexy, but old school up the gut runs with the fullback leading the way is my favorite football! I don’t care if the Cards do only win 6 or 7 games next year I will still be watching just to see the smash mouth style. Honestly, I would rather win than run, but I hated BA O. It worked the first three years so I can’t say crap about it. Still, I just hated watching a team that always found a reason to throw the ball.

5. By Adam Smith b1723 fka DTL on May 12, 2018 | Reply

Guessing Penny wont have the pop in blocking at FB. Coleman we saw can hit. Picturing Big Country Cunningham from Cincinnati as TE. 6’6″ 311, “slim” him to 290, runs sub 5, huge vertical, played BB.

Amazing changes to Cards roster, so much intrigue. Heard Feeley interview podcast 98.7 this am, thinks Cards could surprise…wants some of that 5.5 win over and under in Vegas. me too.

Was able to massage, relocate my 2nd set of tix this off season, seems some not believers. Might be mistake. We might look like Atlanta on O and Carolina on D…who knows. Rudy Carpenter btw thinks Bradford best passer he’s ever seen, many feel same… ans Carson Palmer’s brother quoted with Rosen as the Messiah. Lots going on.

6. By Scott H on May 13, 2018 | Reply

Responding to stories / videos elsewhere on the site….

Yes, let’s hope we will be bucking the trend of drafting O-linemen that we end up getting little to nothing from. You just are not going to be able to build a team that way. What has been pretty much our biggest problem in recent years? The O-line. Our QB’s having no protection. Draft picks not contributing. Injuries. O-lines patched together with whoever we have or can find.

Enough. It has to change. Until it does, 2016 and 2017 will continue to be the norm.

Let’s hope the FA add’s and our draft picks are ready to buck the trend.

Elsewhere, #3 rides again! Good to see #3 out there again, albeit with Rosen. And GREAT to see / hear that he is showing confidence. That word always seems to appear in people’s impressions of him. Yeah, with coach / player speak, you are always going to hear that. But with Rosen…..somehow, I tend to believe it is for real.

And just good to see guys on the practice field, going to work on 2018 and beyond.

Happy Mother’s Day to all.

7. By clssylssy on May 13, 2018 | Reply

I think Mike McCoy’s offense will be just what the Cardinals needs to get back into the game and will probably look a lot like the Charger offense, which is ranked #5 in the NFL. At this point, I’m not as worried about the offense where the team seems to be putting all it’s money and efforts, as I am the defense, which as become pretty thin over the past two years, with most of our play makers exiting and without quality replacements or veteran leadership beyond Patrick.
    Fans are assuming that just because Coach Wilks is a defensive minded coach from the Panthers, that our defense will automatically be a Panther caliber clone, only we don’t have the physical play makers that the Panthers have had. . Defenses win championships and without a killer defense we’re going to be playing behind, a day late and coming up short, against the teams who have been pouring their efforts in building war machines on defense so that their offenses wouldn’t get worn out as they fought for yards (Saints, Ravens, Vikings, Eagles, 9ers, Rams, Texans).
    Currently, our team is not balanced and it may take Keim finding some Veteran talent out there that will play on one year deals (like he did in 2015) who can be place holders until another year when we can focus on signing some bonified talent. We may have a lot of young green broke talent in the wings but we are needing some help by players who can show these guys the way to winning on the road and getting to championships.

8. By David on May 13, 2018 | Reply

Yay!! So glad and I hope Ramesh makes the team – kid is a bull. I also really like the idea of tight end, maybe lead blocker Cunningham – amazing athlete and if he can catch – man give him training and reps

Keep two – the free agent and the rookie FB, and I also love B.A. but he had difficulties in his career with keeping anyone in to block for the QB – QB still has to get down, run away, throw the ball away, but B.A. I think might have liked all quarterbacks to be Big Ben -Burger and be like a Rocky Balboa taking the blows and smiling about it.

9. By SDCardFan on May 14, 2018 | Reply

Although I wasn’t a big fan of Mike McCoy’s time as h/c of the Chargers, I think he is a good guy and a great offensive coordinator. He was definitely Elway’s scapegoat in Denver. I feel if Chad Williams can combine his obvious raw talent with lessons learned via osmosis last year, he could have a breakout year in ’18. Although a very different receiving corps, the 2018 AZ Cardinals could be powerful with Fitzgerald and Kirk leading the way. The cards may not be as exciting offensively this year as they have been in previous years, but I fully expect their run game to be dominant which will benefit their already impressive defense.

Like David above, I am excited to see what Ramesh can do. 6′ 1, 255 lbs and a 4.06 in the 20 yd shuttle – that is a ton of momentum.

If you have nothing better to do, checkout some of Ramesh’s high school highlights.

Go Cards!