Change is coming

Posted by Darren Urban on May 30, 2018 – 9:25 am

As I have hinted toward in some comments, change is coming to this website and this blog. The site itself will have a different look, and it also means the blog will finally move within the site on the backend. What that means for you, the reader (and in many cases, the commenter) is that there will be a new way to post comments going forward.

The commenting platform that will be used is called Disqus. I am sure that some of you would rather not have anything change, but progress is inevitable, and given that this has been the blog’s platform for nearly a decade (and, might I add, kept on this platform despite being advised to move away from it some time ago), it has been a good run.

(The archives to the current blog — and the comments with them — will live on and be available, BTW.)

Again, I want to stress, the blog isn’t going away. I will still be writing in the same style. There will still be comments on each post. I hope everyone that has consistently been part of the community — and we all know who you are — will continue to be in the community. It may take some getting used to, but I’m confident everyone will make it through.

Tags:

33 Responses to “Change is coming”

1. By Rick on May 30, 2018 | Reply

I hope its easy to post a comment.

2. By Phx Raiders on May 30, 2018 | Reply

I’m in

3. By Juan.dlp on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Progress is always welcome Darren.

Please just keep us informed, Im from Argentina and this is the best way I have to follow my beloved Cardinals on a dayli basis.

Best regards !

4. By Ben on May 30, 2018 | Reply

As long as we get to rant and rave at you after every loss I am okay with it 🙂

5. By SDCardFan on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Actually, I am hoping that the process for those posting comments about how to make a lot of money or how to watch every N\FL game becomes much more complicated, like impossible.;-)

6. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2018 | Reply

SDCard —

RE: Spam

That is the idea.

7. By Eric G on May 30, 2018 | Reply

I like disqus, so I welcome it. Hopefully it makes your job easier in filtering spam and inappropriate comments. Cheers

8. By Kurt on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Change will do us good…

9. By Mark on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Actually Disqus is pretty cool. You can post GIFs , small videos and pictures with your posts. It’s way better than the current format and your posts are pretty much posted immediately as long as don’t use prohibited language. Another good thing of Disqus is it will spur continued conversation. On the hockey blog I follow that use Disqus, often time it has over a 1000 posts for each topic. You basically can have a continued conversation with other fans while Darren can immediately post something for all to see as Jon Rosen does for the LA Kings.

10. By Dr. G. on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Darren – – Guessing until the revamp occurs, we’ll not see where the blog will be located…on the back end? Just curious if the Cards see significant value with it…seems you must be omnipresent to keep it going…lots of attention needed.

And too, valuable as they may be, if the most prolific gang-of-eight or so posters departed, it would probably fold on its own. I find this group entertaining. I know there are many other inactive followers who just monitor.

Whatever happens…Kudos on the past efforts… Be well

11. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Dr. G —

RE: Blog location

It will still be prominent on the home page. Posts will be much, much easier to find on the mobile site.

12. By JosEPh on May 30, 2018 | Reply

I still don’t understand why this change has to eliminate the Message Board. Real sad for it’s passing away. Social media is imho the pits. And surprise!, not everyone wants to own a smart phone either.

13. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2018 | Reply

JosEPh —

RE: Smart phone

This will be seen on desktop just as easily. You don’t need a phone. And while I understand your feelings on a phone, the reality is the vast majority of people are consuming content on mobile devices.

14. By Scott H on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Dang it, I’ve never liked change. Too much of a caveman. But I’ll try to adapt and keep up.

Darren – when exactly does all of this kick in?

15. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Kick in

Very soon.

16. By Dynosoar on May 30, 2018 | Reply

As log as I know when and how I can adapt.
    Well, as long as I still have my opposable thumbs I can adapt.

I’m getting anxious for the season. Let’s win and win a lot.
    As long as we win the 20th game (19th if no wild card) I’m good.

17. By rob2000_321@hotmail.com on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Not all change is progress. Progress means changing for something better. Replacing the forums with the ability to comment on articles is not progress. The fans are losing much. It’s clearly regression.

18. By Corgon on May 30, 2018 | Reply

In Disqus you can follow easier the answers, conversations. Cool. I like it!

19. By jeffcardinalfan on May 30, 2018 | Reply

that’s the American way…if it works change it until it doesn’t or maybe mb can no longer afford the message board

20. By mal on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Thank you, Darren, for putting up with this as long as you’ve had.

You do a super job! Hope this makes your life easier.

Thank you for all you do.

21. By Scotty T from Aus on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Hey Daz,

Any chance you guys can publish the underground/red sea podcasts to spotify so I can download on the fly?

Thanks Matey

Lovin the coverage you guys put out in print and audio..

22. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Scotty T –

RE: Podcasts

Not sure that is available but I will look into it.

23. By El Gallo on May 31, 2018 | Reply

– Change

While overseas I followed via desktop.
    In the states everything is easily accessible via mobile device.
    Let’s see how the new format goes, I’m in..

Thanks Darren for the past 10yrs work on this blog.

24. By faster on May 31, 2018 | Reply

as long as i`m not forced to join fakebook, or twitter, i`m ok.
    maybe disqus will help us to get more deep on the oline …..

25. By Scott H on May 31, 2018 | Reply

Well, if what I’m seeing today is “the change”…..then that wasn’t so bad!

Onward.

26. By Darren Urban on May 31, 2018 | Reply

Scott H —

RE: Changes

The blog will still be moving over to the other system, with Disqus as its commenting. But I needed to get past today’s launch.

27. By Johnson on May 31, 2018 | Reply

The videos and reporting is always as amazing as it has always been for years. Was curious, I think we do have fans who are interested to learn about other organizations as well and their workings etc. As there is a “Darren” of AZ, I am guessing there has to be a “Darren” of Patriots, Green Bay etc. Would love to have chat sessions to get an insight look during regular season. Wouldn’t know if it was viable but would love to pick the brains of guest “Darren” writers of other organizations!

28. By Richard S on May 31, 2018 | Reply

Not in to Facebook or social media sites. Maybe this will be my last post. I’m an old f*rt and not that much into change.

29. By Leeskicitizen on May 31, 2018 | Reply

Disqus is one of the most intrusive and judgemental blog platforms on the internet. Everything you post is analyzed and used for whatever purpose Disqus deems appropriate, including sending marketing material to your registered email. The browser (Duckduckgo) offers several instances of users’ experiences both good and bad, but registers mostly bad. Here is one link you may find informative: http://www.wpbeginner.com/opinion/switching-away-from-disqus-review-increased-comments-by-304/

I won’t subject myself to unnecessary intrusion, therefore, I won’t be participating in these blogs anymore.

30. By Darren Urban on Jun 1, 2018 | Reply

Lees —

RE: Disqus

If it makes you feel any better, I have turned the marketing part of the platform off. Otherwise, sorry to see you go.

31. By cardinalsfan87 on Jun 1, 2018 | Reply

Leesklcitizen, Bye Felicia

32. By Scott H on Jun 2, 2018 | Reply

Richard S –

RE: Old farts

I hear ya, man. I’m right there with you in not being into all this social media stuff. On the whole, I don’t know what good any of it is really doing. Everywhere I am anymore, I look around and all I see are people looking at their phones, tuned out from the people around them. Really? That’s where it’s going? We’re not relating to people anymore. We’re relating to these tiny little screens on our hand-held devices. No thanks.

As of this moment in my life, at age 52, I have yet to SEND a text. And I don’t really feel like I’m missing anything. I just think it’s a shame that so many people my age – people who grew up WITHOUT all this social media stuff – now can’t function without it. Literally. They CANNOT function without it. Take away their phones and they have no idea what do with themselves.

When you’ve become THAT dependent on something, there is only one word for it – addiction. And this addiction is taking people to a place where it is more important to them to text / check their phones than it is to safely operate a motor vehicle by paying attention. And THAT is insane.

33. By notimpressed on Jun 2, 2018 | Reply

just means we get our info from places other than the Cardinals web site…long live the message boards ..long live the Dinosaurs