Keim time? Considering depth at safety

Posted by Darren Urban on May 30, 2018 – 1:25 pm

The Cardinals made a recent move to add to their secondary when they traded for cornerback Jamar Taylor. Perhaps another move to add a safety is forthcoming. Multiple tweets indicated veteran safety Tre Boston — who spent last season with the Chargers but was with Steve Wilks in Carolina before that — will visit the Cards. Boston has been a name thrown around quite a bit this offseason as a match with Arizona, especially after Tyrann Mathieu was released.

Boston played with the Chargers on a one-year deal hoping to get big bucks this offseason. That market never materialized. This is the area in which GM Steve Keim excels, finding players that fit what the Cardinals need and giving those veteran free agents the ability to maximize the situation, even if the base salary isn’t quite what they were hoping. At safety, the Cardinals have Budda Baker and Antoine Bethea and then other pieces they are investigating. A player like Boston would definitely focus the situation, if he were to sign.

Tags: , , , ,

24 Responses to “Keim time? Considering depth at safety”

1. By CookiesAZ on May 30, 2018 | Reply

F YEAH

2. By D on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Tre Boston is young and could be a long term solution next to Buddha. I could see AZ move on from Bethea, 33yrs old and who would have a $2.3m dead cap cost.

3. By NJAzCardsFan on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Darren-
    Do you think the Cards have any interest in re-signing:
    Dansby?
    DRC?
    Branch?
    Thanks!

4. By Darren Urban on May 30, 2018 | Reply

NJAz —

RE: Re-signing

At this point, no.

5. By RagingREDBird on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Honestly, you don’t go get Eric Reid? This is a joke! Athletes get to have an opinion. It is called free speech for a reason! Free speech is not saying what people want to hear, it is letting people say stuff that you hate, disagree with, or flat out are offended by… Go get the best player

6. By Patrick on May 30, 2018 | Reply

Eric Reid, the guy who did not care if his protests hurt him in free agency only to file a grievance two months into a soft safety market. Eric Reid who said he would stand next year only to be offended when the Bengals asked him if he was going to stand next year. I would rather have Tre Boston who has knowledge of Wilkes system.

7. By El Gallo on May 31, 2018 | Reply

– Tre Boston

Interesting..
    With previous ties to Wilks, I could see this happening.

8. By Scott H on May 31, 2018 | Reply

CookiesAZ –

I LOVE that post! Still laughing…..

9. By Scott H on May 31, 2018 | Reply

Tre Boston would be fine with me….seems a solid player. Again, I just like the approach that is being taken this off-season. Areas of need being addressed with players that seem to be true up-grades as opposed to what we did last year with nothing but geriatric plug-ins….players that provided little in the way of up-grade or competition at a position.

What has been done to address the CB position has been aggressive. Bringing in a guy like Boston would feel aggressive. The additions at O-line were aggressive. And what they did in the draft to trade up to get Rosen was aggressive. These ALL have the feel of true up-grades where we truly needed them.

This off-season, the blood is pumping! There is a sense of excitement and looking forward to our future. Last off-season, there was none of that. Last off-season, there was a feeling of drowsiness and needing something to wake me up, something to be awake for. THIS off-season, I’m definitely awake and I’m just so much happier feeling that way.

I’m surprising myself with my own positivity. Strange….

10. By Joe C. on May 31, 2018 | Reply

Patrick, I mean Scott H., your positivity is contagious!

11. By Rob in Phx on May 31, 2018 | Reply

I hope Keim is able to add some depth to TE and WR before training camp.

12. By RagingREDBird on May 31, 2018 | Reply

Patrick

I am talking about the Eric Reid that is 26 years old and a Pro bowl level safety. Plus he will be kneeling in the locker room anyway cause players not willing to stand will not be on the field. Big shocker here…. Not all players are great guys or have the same politics as you or I.

When did peaceful protests become so wrong in American’s minds. George Washington did a lot more than just take a knee. Americans are so touchy about everything now a days. This is football, put the best team on the field.

13. By patrick on May 31, 2018 | Reply

Welcome to the other side Scott H.

14. By StevenZ on May 31, 2018 | Reply

Forget Eric Reid! If players are going to protest, they need to have some “Skin in the Game.” I’ve heard NFL revenues were down about 10 percent this past year due to the backlash of sponsors, fan viewership, etc. The players’ salaries were not affected–just the owners and all the support personnel that work behind the scenes. NFL Football was my only escape from the divisiveness in our country, and now I don’t even have that. I support my Cardinals, and do not watch any other teams play during the season. The day a Cardinal’s players disrespects the flag, that all of my relatives fought for, is the day I stop supporting them. FYI, most jobs in this country will not allow you to protest “on the job.” Your paid to do your job while you’re on the clock; protest on you own time!

15. By JosEPh on May 31, 2018 | Reply

Any word If Boston made it to AZ yet? And if he did was there a signing?

16. By CookiesAZ on Jun 1, 2018 | Reply

SCOTT H-

MOAR TO COME BOII I LUH DUH CARDS AND MEE COOKS . ROE UP REAL TALK

17. By Scott H on Jun 1, 2018 | Reply

Cookies –

RE: last post

What the F does any of that mean???

18. By Scott H on Jun 1, 2018 | Reply

Patrick –

RE: Welcoming me to the other side

Hey, don’t get crazy on me , bro. I am acknowledging an off-season that is vastly different and much preferrable to last off-season. BUT…

It doesn’t excuse / forgive everything. Two words – Robert Nkemdiche. That’s all it takes to get me back in touch with the real me!

But thanks for acknowledging my efforts! See? I’m not such a bad guy.

19. By Rick on Jun 1, 2018 | Reply

They will not want to stay in the locker room when they get booed by the whole stadium when they come on the field . Their egos are to big for that.

20. By Smoothcard on Jun 4, 2018 | Reply

StevenZ-

Back to football. Im fine with either Boston or Reid. Both serve different purposes though. I think Bpston is better at coverage in the deep Part of the field.

21. By Smoothcard on Jun 4, 2018 | Reply

StevenZ-

It is our right as Americans to protest. Given the fact that everyone seems to focus on the “disrepect of the flag” yet never actually follows suit with any of the actually commentary that. The actual protester protests is laughable. No one has disrepected the flag. Majority of the players in the nfl are of african american descent. So, if noone is willing to acknowledge that the nfl will continue to be hurt. And should be. As much as i love football these ruling have become more and more ridiculous and unamerican. This is the land of the free. Freedom to protest is apart of that. If you love the game and the players you should also understand the players as well. Kneeling is their American right.

22. By michael on Jun 4, 2018 | Reply

StevenZ,

I respect your feelings on the anthem and know its a very emotional issue. I do have trouble following this “protest on your own time” analogy. It’s not as if these players are taking magic marker and writing “save the whales” on their pants. Imagine if your place of employment played the national anthem every Friday and forced all employees to stand. You would have a legitimate legal case to not do so. Perhaps you are a computer programmer. Does standing for the anthem have ANY affect on how well you do your job? No, it does not, and firing you for not doing so would be completely illegal as it is not tied to your job performance.

I’m not saying this can’t be resolved in the next round of CBAs (like it was with the NBA), but please, stop using this analogy. It has nothing to do with your argument.

23. By Scott H on Jun 4, 2018 | Reply

Darren –

So? Almost a week since we heard about the possibility of Tre Boston….anything happening with this? Wouldn’t mind knowing that Breeland might still be in the plans….he has not yet signed anywhere, has he?

24. By Darren Urban on Jun 5, 2018 | Reply

All —

RE: Boston

No news to report. I’m guessing it might be camp before he signs anywhere.