The Cardinals’ offensive players have said a few times that their unit needs to start playing to the level of the defense. It is only logical that some would wonder about the frustration level of the defense as they wait for the offense to come around. But defenders aren’t going there.
“We all get off the bus together, we all are in the locker room together,” defensive tackle Darnell Dockett said. “But we have to focus on what we do on defense. They’ll get it together.
“There are games where they bailed us out,” Dockett added, noting the Miami outing when the Cards gave up a ton of passing yards. “I’m tired of people saying defense has to be the backbone, defense, defense, defense. We’re a team at the end of the day.”
That works for defensive coordinator Ray Horton. “I’ve never said that (message) to them so it is great they answer that way,” Horton said. “If (the question) was posed to me, I’d go back one year when we were 1-6 and (the defense) didn’t do our job, so we understand where we came from.”
– As expected safety Kerry Rhodes won’t play Sunday in Minnesota with his bad back, and quarterback Kevin Kolb is of course out. Fullback Anthony Sherman (knee) and cornerback Greg Toler (hamstring) are doubtful. Tight end Todd Heap remains limited and questionable with his sore knee, and frankly, at this point, I’m guessing he won’t play until he gets back to practicing fully. I’ve been burned too many times thinking he’d be back. He’ll give it a try pre-game Sunday though and see how it feels.
– I know there are a bunch of questions about the Cards and the status of trying to sign offensive lineman Chris Williams. Here’s the deal: He visited the Cards. He had already visited the Eagles and now Mike Jurecki noted he’s visiting the Chargers. Williams looks like he will have options. Could he sign here? Sure. If he does, it’d probably be after the weekend. But the Cards have to want him, he has to want to come here (and he certainly would seem to have a good opportunity to play here) and then a contract has to be worked out. I’ll let you know something as soon as I know.
Tags: Anthony Sherman, Chris Williams, Darnell Dockett, Greg Toler, Kerry Rhodes, Kevin Kolb, Ray Horton, Todd Heap
Posted in Blog | 11 Comments »
I had tweeted yesterday that tackle Chris Williams, released by the Bears this week, was on the Cardinals’ radar. Today they brought him in for a visit. He also visited the Eagles and so there’s no way to know if his signing is a slam dunk, or even if the Cards want him after seeing him live and in person. One report out of Chicago suggests he could be OK in the right environment. Clearly, with the Williams interest and the bringing back of Pat McQuistan, the Cards are considering options with struggling tackles D’Anthony Batiste and/or Bobby Massie.
– Darnell Dockett was back to practicing fully Thursday, the first time he has done so since hurting his hamstring against the
Dolphins Eagles a few weeks ago. Linebacker O’Brien Schofield, who has been limited almost all season with his sore knee, was back at full for the first time Thursday as well.
– Vikings running back Adrian Peterson and defensive end Jared Allen sat out Thursday nursing ankle and groin issues, respectively, but both are expected to play against the Cardinals and reports are that some of the practice caution has to do with the fact the Vikings play the Buccaneers a week from today, so a short week is coming up.
– Running back William Powell gets some love from profootballfocus.com.
Tags: Adrian Peterson, Chris Williams, Darnell Dockett, Jared Allen, O'Brien Schofield, William Powell
Posted in Blog | 19 Comments »