The Cardinals have trimmed their roster to the requisite 75 by cutting 12 players today, in addition to waiving injured fullback Jared Crank (neck) and running back Thomas Clayton (knee) and putting on injured reserve tackle Levi Brown, which officially ends Brown’s season. The Cards had until Monday to make the moves. The cut to 53 players must come a week from today, the day after the Cards close out the preseason with a game against Denver.
The 12 released were:
– DE Landon Cohen
– WR Gino Crump
– S Eddie Elder
– WR Tre Gray
– CB Marshay Green
– WR Jaymar Johnson
– FB Reagan Maui’a
– LB Marcus McGraw
– LB Zack Nash
– CB James Nixon
– K/P Ricky Schmitt
– LB Paul Vassallo
On a side note, defensive tackle Ricky Lumpkin was fined by the NFL $21,000 for hitting a defenseless player in the head/neck area, in this case, Raiders quarterback Matt Leinart. It’s a hefty sum for a guy who has yet to collect anything more than a practice squad paycheck in the league. (Kicker and NFLPA player rep Jay Feely informs us the fine is not collected unless Lumpkin makes a roster.)
Tags: cuts, Eddie Elder, Gino Crump, James Nixon, Jared Crank, Jaymar Johnson, Landon Cohen, Levi Brown, Marcus McGraw, Marshay Green, Paul Vassallo, Reagan Maui'a, Ricky Lumpkin, Ricky Schmitt, Thomas Clayton, Tre Gray, Zack Nash
Posted in Blog | 83 Comments »
One practice in — and with just rookies — it’s impossible to know what will happen with any of them.
“It was interesting,” coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “The enthusiasm was great, the effort was great. I didn’t know quite what they were doing all the time.”
But it was clear Whisenhunt was enjoying the idea of being back on the field, in a totally teaching aspect, knowing that games are months away. That part of his job was lost last year with the lockout. “It makes you appreciate being on the field again,” Whisenhunt said.
– There is no way to draw any conclusions after one practice. Some of the passes were misfired or dropped, but it wasn’t a shock. Some guys looked a little nervous at first. Bobby Massie, as I noted, looks the part of a tackle. Then again, all the draft picks look the part. They better. They of course have to play the part, and we are a long way from being able to tell that. I’ll have a few photos up later today and we will have a video too (later though; We have Calais Campbell’s press conference with which to deal first.)
– There are nine “veterans” taking part, guys who were already on the team’s roster before the draft. That, Whisenhunt said, is everyone on the roster who is eligible to do so. There are others that wouldn’t mind getting the extra work, Whisenhunt said (and I’m sure the coaches wouldn’t mind it either), but the collective bargaining agreement won’t allow it.
– The only “injury” wasn’t; undrafted rookie cornerback James Nixon had to come out because of dehydration. The learning curve extends beyond the playbook for some. Center Ryan Bartholomew was also sitting out after he “dinged” his knee during conditioning workouts recently, Whisenhunt said.
– The biggest name among the tryout players: running back Javarris James, who played for the Colts and who is the cousin of former Cardinals running back Edgerrin James.
Tags: Edgerrin James, James Nixon, Javarris James, Ken Whisenhunt, minicamp, Ryan Batholomew
Posted in Blog | 18 Comments »
There was plenty of pre-draft talk about Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict and where he might land (and for those who don’t know, Burfict was the one-time first-round candidate who ended up going undrafted and signing with the Bengals.) But for all of Burfict’s hype, many thought he wasn’t even the best linebacker at ASU. That nod usually went to Colin Parker, who was one of 17 undrafted rookie free agents the Cards came to terms with:
- WR Stanley Arukwe, Troy
- LB Broderick Binns, Iowa
- WR LaRon Byrd, Miami
- G Braeden Clayson, Idaho State
- FB Jared Crank, Purdue
- G Blake DeChristopher, Virginia Tech
- DE Tevita Finau, Utah
- S Blake Gideon, Texas
- WR Tre Gray, Richmond
- LB Marcus McGraw, Houston
- LB Zach Nash, Sacramento State
- CB James Nixon, California (Pa.)
- DE Conrad Obi, Colorado
- LB Paul Vassallo, Arizona
- C Scott Wedige, Northern Illinois
- WR Marc Wilson, St. Anselm
And, of course, Parker from ASU.
The list is heavy on linebackers, not a shock after the team did not draft one this past weekend. The number brings the roster total to
85 86 (since apparently I can’t add 69 and 17), leaving five four spots still open for additions, whether they are veterans or otherwise. Because of the rookie minicamp in two weeks, the Cards will also be bringing in a handful of other young players for tryouts, making sure they have enough bodies to run the practices and taking a looksee at some guys.
Tags: Blake DeChristopher, Blake Gideon, Braeden Clayson, Broderick Binns, Colin Parker, Conrad Obi, draft, James Nixon, Jared Crank, LaRon Byrd, Marc Wilson, Marcus McGraw, Paul Vassallo, Scott Wedige, Stanley Arukwe, Tevita Finau, Tre Gray, undrafted rookie free agents, Zach Nash
Posted in Blog | 44 Comments »